Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4141294 times)

Bebpo

Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #41460 on: January 04, 2023, 12:50:51 PM »
Oh no about both Nintex and GreatSage saying Watchmen TV falls apart in the end. I'd heard the show as really good (and it has pretty high review scores), and this first half has been great so far. That is a bummer.

I agree with Nintex's post that if Watchmen was made now, even with Snyder at the helm, it work better. I really think Snyder Watchmen as a TV show would've been a hit. I don't think the movie itself would do any better if released now though. Maybe a little better because of the Marvel stuff, but then we see what happens when things try to buck that a bit with like Eternals and they flop.

Had no idea Cruise was going to play Ozymandias. I could see it, but I don't know if it would've improved much besides maybe bringing some better acting to the film. I'm re-reading the graphic novel today because I was curious how much of the wooden dialogue and acting is from the novel since it felt like most of the dialogue was lifted 1:1 from the novel. About a 1/3rd through and the dialogue definitely reads better. I really think the movie has pretty poor acting which hurts it. Malin Akerman's Silk Spectre was really bad, Jean Smart in the TV is huge upgrade. Crudup's Dr. Manhatten is kinda eh, I don't even like Jackie Erle Haley's Rosarch performance much on re-watch. Jeffrey Dean Morgan's Comedian is great at being a shithead. In general it feels like very much a B-acting cast.

Bebpo

« Reply #41461 on: January 04, 2023, 01:46:21 PM »

Not sure what the point of The Evil Dead franchise is anymore that sets it apart from every other horror film. I liked 2013 a lot and thought it was a great remake but that worked as an Evil Dead film because it was a remake of Evil Dead 1/2's story with a different style. Once you get removed from the cabin, a straight forward horror film just doesn't...feel very Evil Dead to me.

Not sure why they think this is the direction to bring the franchise. Drag Me To Hell is more what I want from Evil Dead movies.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #41462 on: January 04, 2023, 03:47:02 PM »
Doesn't really look like "Evil Dead" but...maybe, it'll be good? I'll give it a chance. I don't really care about the Evil Dead as a franchise without Bruce Campbell anyway, so if this is just Evil Dead in name only, whatever.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #41463 on: January 04, 2023, 04:08:17 PM »
If they make more like this, I just assume Evil Dead IP refers to a story where someone reads the necronomicon, the evil dead force comes and turns someone into a deadite and they torture and taunt everyone as they kill them/turn them into deadites.

Which is ok, but it just makes it a generic demon possession horror IP I guess.

But they're getting directors who are serious horror directors to do these so it's what I guess Raimi and the IP holders want at the moment. I think if they wanted to do another horror comedy one they should get the director from Barbarian.

Bebpo

« Reply #41464 on: January 05, 2023, 12:58:20 AM »
Hmmm, The Menu didn't live up to the hype for me. Was alright.

I felt like the concept is fine and the cast is good, but the directing feels...empty. It was pretty boring and just lacked any energy at all. It feels like a movie that would've been 10x better if Ari Aster or Adam Wingard or a handful of the modern horror directors did it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 01:07:30 AM by Bebpo »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41465 on: January 05, 2023, 05:04:11 AM »
Oh no about both Nintex and GreatSage saying Watchmen TV falls apart in the end. I'd heard the show as really good (and it has pretty high review scores), and this first half has been great so far. That is a bummer.

Post your thoughts in the TV thread when you're done, because YMMV but I was so angry at how it ended it retrospectively ruined the really interesting stuff that had me thinking it was good for the first ~two thirds or so.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #41466 on: January 05, 2023, 11:24:53 AM »
Hmmm, The Menu didn't live up to the hype for me. Was alright.

I felt like the concept is fine and the cast is good, but the directing feels...empty. It was pretty boring and just lacked any energy at all. It feels like a movie that would've been 10x better if Ari Aster or Adam Wingard or a handful of the modern horror directors did it.
It seemed like something Edgar Wright could have done something great with but either way I really enjoyed it in theaters.

Bebpo

« Reply #41467 on: January 05, 2023, 11:47:11 AM »
Yeah, everyone seems to have really liked it. Movie just didn't click for me. Might be because I don't watching cooking shows or follow that kind of food scene so a lot of the satirizing of it flew over my head. It also felt weirdly unrealistic where everyone acts bizarre the whole time like watching a movie about aliens on an alien planet.

But yeah, if Edgar Wright did it, it'd be a lot less dark, but more funny. I think the concept itself is too dark for him.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #41468 on: January 05, 2023, 12:05:56 PM »
That Evil Dead trailer looks good. I'm not into horror films full of gore so I'll probably avoid it. Horror films like Hereditary and The Witch are my thing.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #41469 on: January 05, 2023, 02:22:46 PM »
Yeah, everyone seems to have really liked it. Movie just didn't click for me. Might be because I don't watching cooking shows or follow that kind of food scene so a lot of the satirizing of it flew over my head. It also felt weirdly unrealistic where everyone acts bizarre the whole time like watching a movie about aliens on an alien planet.

But yeah, if Edgar Wright did it, it'd be a lot less dark, but more funny. I think the concept itself is too dark for him.

Honestly I got the impression that the movie might also be just a bit shallow (or maybe I was too dumb for it?). Like the core concept is fine but I didn't really feel like it knew where it was going. At one point there is a pretty direct reference to metoo and then the scene ends without saying much more beyond that metoo is a thing.

Bebpo

« Reply #41470 on: January 05, 2023, 07:18:16 PM »
So I'll backtrack a bit on Snyder's Watchmen. I re-read the graphic novel afterwards (fuck that is a lengthy GN) and it honestly made me like Snyder's film more and I think the non-Ultimate cut, so I guess the Theaterical or Director's Cut (not sure what DC difference is), is probably the best medium for telling that story.

My main issues with the GN is that the pace drags even harder than the Snyder film. It's so fucking long and wordy. I think the Tales of the Black Freighter story is a waste in the GN and in the Ultimate Cut. It's a simple story reflecting the main story's plot, but it's so simple it's totally unnecessary and just hurts the pacing. Pretty sure you can watch the DC of the Snyder film in less time than reading the whole GN.

It helps that the Snyder film basically does the entire GN in order, doing almost every scene and using 99% of the good dialogue lines. Some bits actually come across better in the film like the prison riot. There's only one or two extended dialogue scenes I think work better in the GN.

Also re-visiting the story in 2023, I actually...prefer the Snyder film ending which is the only real difference between the two stories.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
For some reason my memories were that multiple squids were dropped around the world ending the conflict. Like how in the movie nukes go off across the world in all the major superpowers.

But in the comic it's only in NY and I don't know, I'm not sure if I buy that NY suffering a blow would get Russia to back off the arms race and reach out to help the USA.
[close]

Re-reading the GN also makes me a bit confused about the TV show setting:

Show spoiler:
I don't really understand why there are still random squid droppings 35 years later if it was just this one squid drop.

I'm assuming the show will explain this by saying like Adrian later on set up a recurring system of random squid drops to keep the peace between nations.
[close]

I still think the acting is kinda bad and some of the Snyder/DC visual era-2009 aesthetics are iffy, but I'd say the movie's a 3 out of 4 star film and the best way to re-experience the story.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 08:25:29 PM by Bebpo »

Polident Hive

« Reply #41471 on: January 06, 2023, 05:43:42 PM »
In brief, the director’s cut is the preferred version. Ultimate cut is the director’s cut with the black freighter cartoon stitched in, as it was in the comic. Originally they were two separate works. Worth watching on its own. Together, it’s one of those ideas that doesn’t work in a different medium.

Anyway, Ridley Scott is doing Gladiator 2? Sadly doesn’t sound like it’s the Nick Cave version. Also not familiar with the actor.

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1611445233988034561

Quaker

« Reply #41472 on: January 06, 2023, 06:47:34 PM »
Yeah, I wish I lived in the universe where the insane Nick Cave script had a Snyder Cut fanbase that was able to will it into existence.

The actor is pretty good, he was in a good highbrow softcore FX show and the A24 movie he was in this year as a 90s sad dad was getting a lot of buzz from the more pretentious outlets.

The Last Duel and Gucci were more entertaining than most movies that year so fingers crossed. Oh,  he also has the Joaquin Phoenix Napoleon movie this year too.

Borealis

« Reply #41473 on: January 07, 2023, 11:59:17 PM »
Avatar 2 for me was ok. Great visuals for a film that goes on for too long and really underdevelops a number of characters plus plot points.

Puss in Boots 2. Actually great with wonderful visuals to boot, happy to see solid villians for a change and dialogue humour that lands.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41474 on: January 08, 2023, 11:14:15 AM »
Also re-visiting the story in 2023, I actually...prefer the Snyder film ending which is the only real difference between the two stories.

For some reason my memories were that multiple squids were dropped around the world ending the conflict. Like how in the movie nukes go off across the world in all the major superpowers.

But in the comic it's only in NY and I don't know, I'm not sure if I buy that NY suffering a blow would get Russia to back off the arms race and reach out to help the USA.
[close]

I think the 'master plan' is a little simpler to explain visually in the film, but the graphic novel does make sense
both as a more traditional "Super Villain" type scheme for maximum Shock + Awe, but its also littered throughout the periphery of the story that he's been assembling a crew of storytellers and artists to world build a genuinely alien environment, along with a bunch of people who are psychic and created a giant psychic brain for the squid filledw ith memories of this fictitous world, so that its not just the physical deaths of millions when it 'crashes', or the regular trauma of a completely unexplainable catastrophe, but it also triggered a psychic shock when it exploded that filled peoples minds with visions of this alien planet.
It's also fairly plausible post 9/11 that a catastrophe that hit New York specifically but could also well happen in many other major countries cities would see the world pull together to try and find a cause, particularly when it was a threat so alien
[close]

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41475 on: January 08, 2023, 11:22:39 AM »
Saw Men, and not sure what to take away from it.

Maybe that's the point?
Whoever posted before that its closer to Aronofskys Mother! than 'traditional' psychological horror / drama was 100% on point, except I could decode what Mother! was trying to say, in a way that I couldn't decode this.
My best guess is that everyone is played by Rory Kinnear, because all men are kind of shitty in similar ways even when they mean well, but the rebirthing scene at the end is that the particular shittiness of her dead husband is a result of, I dunno, concentrated filtered masculinity (aka toxic masculinity)?
Or that she has gone there with her own ideas of all men being shitty (again, the sameface casting) but that her dead husband was actually uniquely shitty, and this is the process of her realising this and how she comes to terms with her grief / anger?
[close]

Good, weird, makes you think, whats not to enjoy?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41476 on: January 08, 2023, 01:33:20 PM »
Finally got around to watching The Last Duel

Great movie overall and an interesting way to present all those different perspectives of the same story. Affleck, Damon and Driver deliver a fantastic performance.
However, I do feel that they should've not given away the truth so quickly. The duel of perspectives between Carrouges and Le Gris is probably the strongest part of the movie, followed by the duel.
But at that point you've already seen the third perspective of Marguerite de Carrouges thus the 'truth'. It would've worked better if somehow the duel happened before the truth is revealed.

Shame it bombed I love movies based on historic events like this.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #41477 on: January 08, 2023, 05:01:29 PM »
Although the ending was a bit sloppy I really enjoyed the Watchmen TV show too.

Post your thoughts in the TV thread when you're done, because YMMV but I was so angry at how it ended it retrospectively ruined the really interesting stuff that had me thinking it was good for the first ~two thirds or so.

Finished Watchmen TV. I liked it, but yeah I loved the first half, but just liked the second half. I'd say the problem is that like 3 of the last 4eps are flashbacks. So the plot moves and things are happening for half a show and then it just bogs down with flashback after flashback after flashback and then the ending sequence happens.

The ending sequence was a bit convoluted. I don't really get why

Dr. Manhatten would orchestrate a sequence of events to kill him off just to like...help his gf get through some trauma?

It's weird and seems pretty out of character.
[close]

Otherwise it felt very comic book and pretty much like a Watchmen sequel. I thought there was some clever stuff like the way they tied Hooded Justice in, given Hooded Justice's costume in the original.

It's well directed, well acted, the soundtrack is great which goes a long way. The script is mostly good until the end tying things together. But overall pretty good show.

Bebpo

« Reply #41478 on: January 08, 2023, 05:56:51 PM »
Actually meant to post that in the TV thread but oh well.

Thinking on it some more, I think the reason the first half of the show works better is the first half is a weird mystery police procedural focusing on good characters with main character Angela/Sister Knight, Wade/Mirror Guy, and older Snarky FBI agent Laurie. They're great and they make the first half really engaging.

The back half then changes to be

comic book story about Dr. Manhatten and rich billionaires trying to steal his power
[close]

And it's far less interesting.

davepoobond

« Reply #41479 on: January 08, 2023, 10:19:44 PM »
I saw Glass Onion.  Its like a 7.5

Knives Out is like a hard 7 for me.

Glass Onion was more enjoyable overall as far as character/story goes... but i hated that the flashback was half of the movie.  It was pretty clever how they were able to obfuscate some of the clues/details to keep you guessing, but other stuff was cheap

at least i didn't know what was coming the entire time, it did keep me guessing
dpb

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41480 on: January 09, 2023, 02:33:44 PM »
https://twitter.com/60Minutes/status/1612259213253742593

I've been to 2 Hans Zimmer concerts, both had the Flute guy perform as well. His last concert was absolutely incredible.
If you ever have the chance be sure to go see him live. If you're lucky Tina Guo, Pedro, Lebo M and others might be there too.
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41481 on: January 09, 2023, 11:03:49 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #41482 on: January 09, 2023, 11:25:09 PM »
Rewatching No Way Home again. For the fifth time. Literally the movie I wanted since in-between ASM1 and 2. Man I can't believe modern MCU nailed this so well.

Literally the only legitimately awesome thing in Phase 4.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #41483 on: January 09, 2023, 11:27:46 PM »
Actually meant to post that in the TV thread but oh well.

Thinking on it some more, I think the reason the first half of the show works better is the first half is a weird mystery police procedural focusing on good characters with main character Angela/Sister Knight, Wade/Mirror Guy, and older Snarky FBI agent Laurie. They're great and they make the first half really engaging.

The back half then changes to be

comic book story about Dr. Manhatten and rich billionaires trying to steal his power
[close]

And it's far less interesting.

What they did with hooded justice was really kind of brilliant. Completely retconning a character but in a way that makes sense and ties in with the themes of the show.

Tasty

« Reply #41484 on: January 09, 2023, 11:48:02 PM »
Ohhhh shit just realized it's been 1 year since I saw NWH in theaters, my first post-pandemic movie.

7:30pm Jan 9th, 2022

The universe is crazy. So weird I randomly threw it on tonight.

Bebpo

« Reply #41485 on: January 09, 2023, 11:59:41 PM »
Rewatching No Way Home again. For the fifth time. Literally the movie I wanted since in-between ASM1 and 2. Man I can't believe modern MCU nailed this so well.

Literally the only legitimately awesome thing in Phase 4.

Glad you love it and all, but you know Shang-Chi does exist :P

Tasty

« Reply #41486 on: January 10, 2023, 12:17:33 AM »
Shang-Chi is absolute trash.

Bebpo

« Reply #41487 on: January 10, 2023, 12:28:52 AM »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #41488 on: January 10, 2023, 12:35:35 AM »
Finished Watchmen TV. I liked it, but yeah I loved the first half, but just liked the second half. I'd say the problem is that like 3 of the last 4eps are flashbacks. So the plot moves and things are happening for half a show and then it just bogs down with flashback after flashback after flashback and then the ending sequence happens.

The ending sequence was a bit convoluted.
Coincidentally, this is basically the same thing that happens in Doomsday Clock. :lol

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #41489 on: January 10, 2023, 09:20:50 AM »

Ari Aster :lawd
A24 :lawd
Is it a horror movie? Is it post-apocalyptic? Is Joaquin Phoenix still playing The Joker? Who knows! :lawd
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #41490 on: January 11, 2023, 02:39:08 PM »
Yeah, I'll watch that. Looks like Aster doing a PT Anderson film. Even though I really didn't like Midsommar, I don't have any issues with Aster's directing in that film, the plot was just too boring of a Wicker Man clone. If Beau has a good story it could be great with his directing ability.

Wendell & Wild - This was good! People have been kind of down on it and it definitely seems off at a few parts, like as if the movie was edited down and crucial pieces were missing and there's a few script bits that seem like weird rewrites (like when suddenly everything just gets resolved) and tone kind of shifts around between horror and comedy and family film. But if it wasn't for those issues this would be a great movie. So it's still very good even if it's got flaws. Lots of fun and looks fantastic. For Laika, I'd still say Kubo and the Two Strings is their best, and then Coraline and then I'd put this as third.

Bullet Train - Hahahaha, this was fun. Basically a messier, higher budget, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Enjoyed it greatly. Fuck any haters on this.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #41491 on: January 11, 2023, 04:05:26 PM »
I need to watch some movies this weekend. I wanna see Megan. I was worried it would be toothless when I saw it was PG-13, but it sounds like it's still a fun movie. Just need to go during an off-hour so I don't have to see it with a bunch of tiktok kidz.  :yuck Gonna try to see Shin Ultraman too.
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #41492 on: January 11, 2023, 07:01:56 PM »
Yeah, I'll watch that. Looks like Aster doing a PT Anderson film. Even though I really didn't like Midsommar, I don't have any issues with Aster's directing in that film, the plot was just too boring of a Wicker Man clone. If Beau has a good story it could be great with his directing ability.

Wendell & Wild - This was good! People have been kind of down on it and it definitely seems off at a few parts, like as if the movie was edited down and crucial pieces were missing and there's a few script bits that seem like weird rewrites (like when suddenly everything just gets resolved) and tone kind of shifts around between horror and comedy and family film. But if it wasn't for those issues this would be a great movie. So it's still very good even if it's got flaws. Lots of fun and looks fantastic. For Laika, I'd still say Kubo and the Two Strings is their best, and then Coraline and then I'd put this as third.

Bullet Train - Hahahaha, this was fun. Basically a messier, higher budget, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Enjoyed it greatly. Fuck any haters on this.

Henri Selick’s movies are not perfect, but they sure are fucking gorgeous.

Bullet train was a blast, though I felt like they lifted the Japan nearly out of that wolverine movie where he goes to mall-ninja Japan, and the yakuza are brazenly walking around with automatic weapons, in every train station or temple.

Bebpo

« Reply #41493 on: January 11, 2023, 07:40:26 PM »
Bullet train was a blast, though I felt like they lifted the Japan nearly out of that wolverine movie where he goes to mall-ninja Japan, and the yakuza are brazenly walking around with automatic weapons, in every train station or temple.

Yeah, the movie has zero believability and is totally ridiculous, but it's silly fun so that's ok.

Polident Hive

« Reply #41494 on: January 11, 2023, 07:43:01 PM »
Recent Hollywood movies set around Tokyo always have that one neon lit alley set. Snake Eyes, Kate, Bullet Train, and the last Fast and Furious. Probably in an LA or Atlanta soundstage.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #41495 on: January 11, 2023, 07:44:55 PM »
Recent Hollywood movies set around Tokyo always have that one neon lit alley set. Snake Eyes, Kate, Bullet Train, and the last Fast and Furious. Probably in an LA or Atlanta soundstage.

Even Avengers Endgame had it when we catch up with Hawkeye.

Bebpo

« Reply #41496 on: January 11, 2023, 10:21:15 PM »
I like the part in Bullet Train when

He writes "Snake inside. Do Not Open" on the toilet lid
[close]

:lol

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #41497 on: January 11, 2023, 10:39:57 PM »

You can thank Ryan gosling

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #41498 on: January 12, 2023, 12:22:54 AM »
That's how it was in the original Wolverine comic, so maybe Japan was just actually like that in the early 1980's?

Bebpo

« Reply #41499 on: January 12, 2023, 12:30:58 AM »
Another thing in Bullet Train

Michael Shannan with a terrible wig and the worst Russian accent was fucking hilarious omggg
[close]

I was talking to a friend who doesn't like Bullet Train because they feel it's a pale imitation of a Guy Ritchie movie. But the thing is Guy Ritchie movies have the laughs and whatnot, but they're still being played straight and trying to be cool with their style.

I never felt for one minute in Bullet Train that it was trying to be cool. Like the movie feels very self-aware and is really close to being a scary movie kind of satirical take on a Guy Ritchie movie. Every scene and character is played as a gag. I can only think of two scenes in the whole film that aren't played as a gag

The opening scene in the hospital

and Tangerine's death scene.
[close]

The stuff like in the first spoiler is so ridiculous I refuse to believe it isn't meant to be a gag.

jorma

« Reply #41500 on: January 12, 2023, 06:03:04 PM »

Henri Selick’s movies are not perfect, but they sure are fucking gorgeous.

to be fair, that's what i thought New York was like when i read those superhero cartoons as a young lad, so they're just being consistent  :lol

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41501 on: January 12, 2023, 10:51:00 PM »
Watched Saw for the first time.  How are there 10 of these movies :dead

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41502 on: January 12, 2023, 11:51:03 PM »
Watched Saw for the first time.  How are there 10 of these movies :dead
Gore fans are distinguished mentally-challenged fellows?
Spud

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #41503 on: January 13, 2023, 12:31:29 AM »
You won’t believe THE LORE that occurs in the Saw sequels. It’s wild.
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #41504 on: January 13, 2023, 09:41:01 AM »
JOLT is listed as a comedy, but it’s not funny. Kate Beckinsale is not nearly naked enough for me to sit through this much stupidity.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #41505 on: January 13, 2023, 02:02:19 PM »
JOLT is listed as a comedy, but it’s not funny. Kate Beckinsale is not nearly naked enough for me to sit through this much stupidity.

That leather latex outfit carried me through most of the Underworld movies

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41506 on: January 13, 2023, 06:09:46 PM »
https://twitter.com/MelBrooks/status/1613948752796213249

Unsure how this is going to be true to the original in the year of our lord 2023.

[close]
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #41507 on: January 14, 2023, 01:18:59 AM »
Del Toro's Pinnochio was good. Had a great visual design, some original segments and a solid story. I feel like the songs were probably the weakest part though I liked one of them. Also Christoph Waltz felt miscast as the circus guy, but Cate Blanchett did a great monkey.

Bebpo

« Reply #41508 on: January 14, 2023, 03:41:18 AM »
Catching up on some of my Netflix watchlist while I have time off, watched Do Revenge starring the lesbian chick from the most recent few seasons of Stranger Things, and it was extremely good.
Nice little throwback to '90s teen movies (and knowingly so, including a Sarah Michelle Gellar cameo as the head mistress) and veeeeeeeeeeeeeery loosely based on Strangers On A Train in its major conceit was two high school girls who move in different circles secretly being friends and deciding to pull a revenge scheme on each others respective tormentors while keeping themselves ostensibly not responsible.

Its actually a lot more twisty turny and satisfying, and genuinely dark and funny than it sounds. I mean, it's no Heathers or Election, but I'd still recommend it as being good enough to be in a conversation about those films.

Shit, so I was reading fast and I skimmed your post at the time and thought you said it was like Heathers and Election and I watched Do Revenge tonight because I was in the mood for a dark HS comedy.

But...it was really mediocre and felt like a kids movie made for early teens. It's a "dark" comedy with no bite for kids. The directing is bland as can be and it's mostly dull, the script is alright and yeah the acting from some of the actors was good. I like the blue haired guy who was in Ms. Marvel. Also the first thing I've seen Ethan Hawke's kid in and she was solid.

Like even in the ending

When the kid confronts the two of them and brags about everything...I thought they were going to kill him and hide the body. They joked earlier about killing him and I thought that foreshadowed it and that would've given it a darker and more enjoyable ending. But the movie is soooo tame. No consequences for anything...yawn.
[close]

The script with a better director could've made this good. It's just lacking any style and it's not very dark like a real dark dramady. Just felt like most of the straight to Netflix bland boring films that aren't worth your time imo. Though teens would probably enjoy it. Wasn't for me.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 03:46:17 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #41509 on: January 14, 2023, 09:28:00 PM »
The Harder They Fall - Enjoyable but too long. Pretty solid direction and nice looking, good music and good performances. Zazie Beetz's outfit was pretty cool looking. The script is...kind of meh even for a western and sorta wastes all the good talent a bit with not a ton to do. And the action isn't great so the end shootouts are a bit dull. Was worth a watch, but was less into it the further it went on and was just ok by the end.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #41510 on: January 16, 2023, 12:27:17 AM »
Skinamarink - what the actual fuck. I liked it.

Bebpo

« Reply #41511 on: January 16, 2023, 02:46:22 AM »
I was reading RT a few weeks back at the reviews of new movies released that week. I saw Lady Chatterley's Lover was getting really high reviews and read some reviews that basically say "good movie about hot people fucking constantly" and I was like sure, I'll add it to my watchlist.

Watched it tonight and I feel like the reviews were kind of off. It's fine, and it's best asset is actually the cinematography. It's a very good looking movie. Pretty good direction too and good acting performances.

What it's not is a particularly interesting story about hot people fucking constantly. It's a pretty boring standard story and while there's lots of nudity I definitely wouldn't call it a hot sexy movie. It's more like a somewhat dull naked people movie. I felt like the script was so basic it never really bothered building up the romance between the leads like a proper romance genre movie. Last year, The Essex Serpent with Hiddleston and Danes did a similar period piece English countryside romance affair thing, and even though that one wasn't particularly great, the story and characters and the actual parts of the relationship were way better than this even if it had a lot less naked. Plus Tom Hiddleston can pull off the sexy middle aged man far better than this guy who looks like he's Charlie Hunnam's brother.

I've never read those romance novels with the sexy dudes on the cover, but I'd imagine this is like a film version of that. The cinematography kinda saved it, otherwise it'd be just be a boring movie that's also 2 hours+ like every damn movie these days (why can't anything be 90 mins anymore?).

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #41512 on: January 16, 2023, 05:45:41 AM »
You don't know D.H. Lawrence?

Bebpo

« Reply #41513 on: January 16, 2023, 02:35:19 PM »
You don't know D.H. Lawrence?

Actually, no, I'd never heard of him. I assumed this was an original Netflix movie made because people like Bridgerton aka hot period piece people fucking romance drama.

But looking him up and seeing that this story was a 1928 novel adaptation...it makes more sense that the story seems very nothing and generic by today's standards. At it's time I'm sure it was far more provocative. I guess fans of the novel will be pleased with this adaptation since it looks nice and is well acted.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41514 on: January 19, 2023, 11:00:32 AM »
Barbarian was one of the most uneven horrors I have seen.  It tries really hard to be art house and then the ending jumps 10 sharks and becomes a b-horror.  On paper, the idea is great and it's actually executed well about half the time.  It was an entertaining movie and worth the time, but I'm disappointed it wasn't nearly as good as it could have been.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #41515 on: January 19, 2023, 11:43:41 AM »
Saw The Menu.

Contrite, pretentious, drivel.

Bebpo

« Reply #41516 on: January 19, 2023, 07:05:05 PM »
Emily The Criminal - This was good. I just wish there was more to it. Small short movie, feels like a less ambitious Uncut Gems, but everything about it's quality. Aubrey Plaza is great and adds another varied performance to her career. Theo Rossi is very good too. Definitely interested in where the writer/director John Patton Ford goes from here.

The Bubble - Ok, so this Judd Apatow movie has a 21% RT, but I don't think that really tells it. First of all, unlike every dramady Apatow's written and directed, this movie is not a drama at all. It's just a Jim Carry/Mel Brook-ish (but not as clever) dumb silly comedy from start to finish. So it feels nothing like any of Apatow's output and I'd have never guessed it was made by him.

That said, it throws so many jokes at the wall per minute, for the first hour, enough stuck that I was laughing pretty loudly and more than most comedies in the last few years and it was pretty funny. Dumb, but funny. The back hour though is pretty weak and the laughs only occasionally land and when there's large segments of time where nothing is landing it just feels like how is this movie over two hours long?? and is a drag.

There's still enough funny bits in the back half that I enjoyed it overall even if it's not a good movie, but this is a movie where a better edit of it that took the back hour and trimmed it down to the best 20 mins would've fixed the movie entirely and made it a good 3 out of 4 star comedy. As is I'd say it's like 2.5 out of 4 stars but the first half is pretty consistently funny and second half has its moments.

All the actors were great too. David Duchovony was pretty funny, Leslie Mann was great, Key was channeling another solid role, Pedro Pascal was great. But the real standout that honestly surprised me was Karen Gillan. I've liked her in most stuff she's been in, but I'd have never imagined she had this level of range and total slapstick comedy talent from anything prior. She's really, really good and hilarious. This movie makes it seem like she's going to have a long successful career in film if she swerves more into the total wacky comedy genre. Definitely makes it seem like the MCU wasted her as just a snarky Nebula when she could've been more a major comic lead.

Overall I'd say it's worth a watch if you go in just expecting a dumb comedy.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #41517 on: January 19, 2023, 08:19:22 PM »
Lightyear

Honestly this wasn't so bad. You just have to completely ignore the "This is the movie Andy watched in 1995" premise and kind of forget what Buzz was like in the Toy story movies. Basically it would have been better to just completely ditch the Toy story connection, but I guess without it the movie would have never been greenlighted. The villain reveal is also kind of eh, because I feel like it doesn't really pay enough attention to the various moral dilemmas going on there, but the rest is an alright sci-fi movie that looks quite gorgeous. Also believe it or not, the mandatory cutey sidekick, the robot cat, is pretty funny

Bebpo

« Reply #41518 on: January 20, 2023, 01:03:40 AM »
Blonde - I didn't think it was possible to make a less coherent functioning film in 2022 than Baumbach's White Noise, but I actually had to bail on this 30-40 mins in. I think it's the only movie I've quit in years. I thought maybe I'd still like it despite the critic and audience panning it since I loved The Assassination of Jesse James and I liked Killing Them Softly and the latter got panned at the time. But nah, what I saw of this was just so incredibly boring and incoherent it just seemed pointless.

All Quiet on the Western Front - I don't think I ever read the book. Good film. Great cinematography, lots of amazing shots. Why is it war films always have really good cinematography? Pretty heavy, especially the ending stuff. A lot of the soundtrack and cinematography was in the style of a horror film. Which I think worked because wars, especially WW1 was horrible. I still think 1917 is the best war movie of the last decade, and then probably Dunkirk, but this was still very good for that kind of thing.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #41519 on: January 20, 2023, 12:36:32 PM »
Saw The Menu.

Contrite, pretentious, drivel.

Would someone who hates scary things and gore be interested in it?
:O