Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4182402 times)

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #41520 on: January 20, 2023, 12:39:16 PM »
The Bubble - Ok, so this Judd Apatow movie has a 21% RT, but I don't think that really tells it. First of all, unlike every dramady Apatow's written and directed, this movie is not a drama at all. It's just a Jim Carry/Mel Brook-ish (but not as clever) dumb silly comedy from start to finish. So it feels nothing like any of Apatow's output and I'd have never guessed it was made by him.

That said, it throws so many jokes at the wall per minute, for the first hour, enough stuck that I was laughing pretty loudly and more than most comedies in the last few years and it was pretty funny. Dumb, but funny. The back hour though is pretty weak and the laughs only occasionally land and when there's large segments of time where nothing is landing it just feels like how is this movie over two hours long?? and is a drag.

There's still enough funny bits in the back half that I enjoyed it overall even if it's not a good movie, but this is a movie where a better edit of it that took the back hour and trimmed it down to the best 20 mins would've fixed the movie entirely and made it a good 3 out of 4 star comedy. As is I'd say it's like 2.5 out of 4 stars but the first half is pretty consistently funny and second half has its moments.

All the actors were great too. David Duchovony was pretty funny, Leslie Mann was great, Key was channeling another solid role, Pedro Pascal was great. But the real standout that honestly surprised me was Karen Gillan. I've liked her in most stuff she's been in, but I'd have never imagined she had this level of range and total slapstick comedy talent from anything prior. She's really, really good and hilarious. This movie makes it seem like she's going to have a long successful career in film if she swerves more into the total wacky comedy genre. Definitely makes it seem like the MCU wasted her as just a snarky Nebula when she could've been more a major comic lead.

Overall I'd say it's worth a watch if you go in just expecting a dumb comedy.

I watched this when it came out and went in just expecting a comedy, but found it extremely self-satisfied, even expecting a certain baseline level given the premise is celebs playing celebs making a movie about making a movie which has an inherent 'sniff your own farts' quality.
Like you say, the length contributed to that - really hard to imagine there was an editor sat there thinking "wow, I literally can't cut any of this this is all too good to waste".

I also agree it doesn't feel like a Judd Apatow movie - it feels like a Paul Feig movie.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #41521 on: January 20, 2023, 01:25:51 PM »
Saw The Menu.

Contrite, pretentious, drivel.

Would someone who hates scary things and gore be interested in it?

Yes, because most of those are garbage too.

e: oh i read that wrong.

the no, don't watch garbage.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #41522 on: January 20, 2023, 03:18:15 PM »
Saw The Menu.

Yes, because most of those are garbage too.

e: oh i read that wrong.

the no, don't watch garbage.

wut
:O

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #41523 on: January 20, 2023, 04:16:55 PM »
Exactly

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41524 on: January 20, 2023, 07:18:46 PM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)
When they show off the batcave robin suits :dead 
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41525 on: January 20, 2023, 10:46:55 PM »
Watching Tenet -- this is dumb and long.  It's like Inception where the magic system was designed for its visuals instead of any kind of logic, except most of the backward stuff just looks goofy, and the plot is completely vapid once you look past the rule of cool. 

Tasty

« Reply #41526 on: January 20, 2023, 11:28:28 PM »
It's Nolan's weakest, yeah.

Polident Hive

« Reply #41527 on: January 21, 2023, 03:48:17 AM »
I like Tenet but my dumb conspiracy theory centers on Nolan making it to shut people up so he could do Oppenheimer. On the surface it’s checking boxes that people, fans and studios alike, have been asking him for. After Oppenheimer he’ll do another one of those, and five years from now it’ll have been long enough since The Aviator to make his Howard Hughes movie.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41528 on: January 21, 2023, 11:30:14 PM »
Warcraft was better than it had any right to be.  Shame there wasn't a sequel. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #41529 on: January 22, 2023, 02:14:40 AM »
TITANE
What the actual fuck did I watch? This is the most unsettling film I've seen since the original Nekromantik. I am happy that I saw it, but I am still unsure what the meaning of it is. Was this about family? Is this about women's role in society? Is it about the meaning of what it is to be a man? I am utterly fucking at a loss.

Warcraft was better than it had any right to be.  Shame there wasn't a sequel.
No.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41530 on: January 22, 2023, 10:38:51 AM »
I'm also a TENET fan, but I think ultimately its inspiration was Nolan was scrubbing back and forth a fight scene in the editing room and decided backwards fisticuffs looks kinda fucking cool, so built a film around it

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41531 on: January 22, 2023, 01:47:03 PM »
Tenet is great but pretty much Nolan's James Bond movie.
It's better on second viewing though because you know what to look for. There are quite a few hidden easter eggs that are easily missed.

:hesright
[close]
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #41532 on: January 22, 2023, 02:29:16 PM »
Saw The Menu.

It's not scary, but there is quite a bit of violence. Honestly I really liked it.
©@©™

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #41533 on: January 23, 2023, 10:31:32 AM »
yea, you would.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #41534 on: January 23, 2023, 11:23:59 AM »
That hamburger looked delicious. :delicious
©@©™

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #41535 on: January 23, 2023, 01:16:32 PM »
missed oppoturnity for a

himburger
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #41536 on: January 24, 2023, 09:34:18 PM »
No, The Menu is about being true to one's craft, and how social networks, elite access, and privilege have destroyed the purity of the act of creation. That hamburger is about a return to being satisfied with one's best self.

Bebpo

« Reply #41537 on: January 25, 2023, 08:30:40 PM »
1992 adaptation of Orlando was ok. Great performance by Tilda Swinton, great costumes across the eras, good music, some nice cinematography, kind of minimal script and character/plot development. Kinda makes me interested in trying to read the 1928 novel by Virginia Woolf.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41538 on: January 25, 2023, 11:38:51 PM »
M3GAN  :dead  worth watching

Good modernization of Chucky and I expect to see a Chucky vs M3GAN in 10 years.   

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #41539 on: January 26, 2023, 12:44:54 AM »
Even though a lot of the story beats were predictable, I did like how it flipped "kid knows Chucky is evil, but the adults won't believe him" into "the adult knows Megan is evil, but the kid won't believe her".
©@©™

james

« Reply #41540 on: January 26, 2023, 10:07:47 AM »
I didnt come here for fucking spoilers Joe

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #41541 on: January 28, 2023, 06:26:20 AM »
Rewatching brokeback mountain

that gyllenhall sure is pretty

Polident Hive

« Reply #41542 on: January 28, 2023, 05:18:20 PM »
Had You People on while doing some work and soon paid attention to it. Actually pretty funny for the first half or so. If you’ve watched 22 Jump Street, they took the scenes with Jonah Hill and Ice Cube, swapped the latter with Eddie Murphy, and made a full movie around it. Bit more than another guess who’s coming to dinner remake. Gets schmaltzy and less racist towards the end. It’s never hitting 2000s Rush Hour type racist humor, but it’s closer than I would’ve thought. Another critique: not enough David Duchovny!

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41543 on: January 29, 2023, 09:38:20 AM »
Yeah, David Duchovny and Julia Louis Dreyfus had some great comedic pairing, but so did JLD and Eddie Murphy, and JLD with Lauren London. I think I might have just under rated JLD in general previously, even though she's great in most everything I've seen her in.

The biggest problem with the film is what a mess Jonah Hill is. He looks older and rougher than literally the entire rest of the cast. Its why the "White Barry White" joke drops so hard, because holy fucking shit. No wonder people wouldn't want their daughter marrying that. And his characters supposedly 35?
I'm not entirely sure all the jokes about being a huge cokehead are exactly jokes.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #41544 on: January 30, 2023, 11:25:27 AM »
I watched most of the Uncharted film the other day (flicked it on 10 mins in to see what its like and ended up watching it all) and enjoyed it. It's a perfectly solid 3/5 brainless watch.

Marky Mark kinda sux tho and plays Sully as a Marky Mark style snarky prick, rather than a loveable old rogue. It's a prequel to the games too so gets around the Nathan Drake looking too young thing that way.
(ice)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41545 on: January 30, 2023, 01:17:04 PM »
Ya its a decently serviceable Indy clone.  I'd watch a second one. 

Polident Hive

« Reply #41546 on: January 31, 2023, 05:18:47 AM »
https://variety.com/2023/film/global/tarsem-singh-india-dear-jassi-1235506555/

Tarsem is back, in bollywood form.

The Fall made me a lifelong supporter. Even watched that generic Ryan Reynolds movie. It’s tough to be a fan.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #41547 on: February 03, 2023, 06:20:31 PM »
I watched Knock at the Cabin this afternoon. It was pretty good, I enjoyed it. As far as the Punished Shyamalan career arc goes, it's better than Old (which I hated) but not as good as The Visit (which I loved).
©@©™

james

« Reply #41548 on: February 03, 2023, 06:38:55 PM »
I watched Knock at the Cabin this afternoon. It was pretty good, I enjoyed it. As far as the Punished Shyamalan career arc goes, it's better than Old (which I hated) but not as good as The Visit (which I loved).

What if I liked old but didn't like the visit

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #41549 on: February 03, 2023, 06:45:28 PM »

What if I liked old but didn't like the visit

Well, on one hand it's kinda like Old in that it's not really a horror movie nor is it trying to be, it's just about people stuck in a horrible situation that they're trying to escape from. I would classify it as a psychological thriller. On the other hand, nobody is old in this movie, but people do come to visit. YMMV.
©@©™

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41550 on: February 04, 2023, 08:43:24 AM »
Watched Where the Crawdads Sing yesterday.

Have never read the book and went in practically completely blind.

Really enjoyed it.

Absolutely didn't expect such an uplifting movie. The trailers made it seem much much darker and very bleak.
[close]
Spud

Polident Hive

« Reply #41551 on: February 05, 2023, 09:24:37 PM »
Black Panther 2… yeah. Angela Bassett was great in it.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #41552 on: February 07, 2023, 08:36:19 PM »
3 burials of Melquiades Estrada is finally on Amazon Prime. One of Tommy Lee Jones's best films. I think he directed it. Anyway, it's about a Border patrol guy who kills an illegal Mexican. Tommy isn't happy his mate's been murdered, so he kidnaps the Border guy, forces him to dig up the body and carry it back to the guy's home in Mexico. Magic film.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #41553 on: February 08, 2023, 12:54:55 AM »
Watched Black Panther. Will post in the capeshit thread.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #41555 on: February 08, 2023, 05:05:54 PM »
who'd have thought that the vast majority of your big recent content being utter tripe would lead to a loss of subs?

:titus
(ice)

Cauliflower Of Love

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41557 on: February 08, 2023, 11:07:57 PM »
Shotgun Wedding is an entertaining 5/10 movie. 

Bebpo

« Reply #41558 on: February 09, 2023, 02:15:14 AM »
Recovering from painful surgery, on pain meds and can't do anything besides lay on my side and watch stuff on my tablet. So far watched.

Vengeance - I don't know who B.J. Novack is because I never watched The Office, but this move he wrote, directed and starred in was a solid little film about family. Started off a little shakey, but ended up enjoying it. Thought it would be more like The Kid Detective, but it's not so much a mystery film than a drama about family. Good movie.

Sick - This covid slasher film on Peacock has like 80% RT and just continues to show that RT fucking sucks with horror films and these days its so easy for a horror film to have positive reviews. Really mediocre slasher that has nothing going for it besides the goofy end. It tries to be a non-Jason kind of grounded slasher but yet the whole thing is constantly illogical and stupid. Bleh. Probably would've been better off watching Halloween Ends with my time if I wanted a stupid bad slasher.

Violent Night - You know, I kind of didn't enjoy this one. The premise of Santa Die Hard is fun and I like Harbour, but I think the writing and directing were pretty mediocre and for a lot of it, it's just a bore. There are good moments and I enjoyed those, but honestly was putting me to sleep though that was probably the drugs too. Enjoyed Krampus more than this and Rare Exports was better than both for weird Santa movies.

Polident Hive

« Reply #41559 on: February 09, 2023, 01:55:25 PM »
Yeah. Violent Night was so-so. Joke got stretched thin. That 87 entertainment production group has this house style. Nobody, Kate, Bullet Train, and now this. As I’m recognizing their stick man fighting logo, I know what I’m in for.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41560 on: February 09, 2023, 05:46:43 PM »
🤴

james

« Reply #41561 on: February 09, 2023, 05:55:08 PM »
Jason Bateman as Michael Jordan is an inspired casting choice

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #41562 on: February 09, 2023, 06:07:58 PM »
Yeah. Violent Night was so-so. Joke got stretched thin. That 87 entertainment production group has this house style. Nobody, Kate, Bullet Train, and now this. As I’m recognizing their stick man fighting logo, I know what I’m in for.

Oh, man, I'm with you on Bullet Train and doubly-so on Kate, but I loved Nobody.

For real, can we retire the "woman assassin is betrayed by the handler who trained her" trope?
[close]

Polident Hive

« Reply #41564 on: February 10, 2023, 11:53:14 AM »
It’s The Last of Us 2

Bebpo

« Reply #41565 on: February 10, 2023, 07:39:40 PM »
Weird: The Al Yankovich Story - I liked that it's a joke and a spoof on the biopic genre, but at the same time it felt very straight to video/streaming in terms of the execution of that concept. Just didn't think it was well directed/edited. Felt like an inferior UHF, but I still liked it enough to give it a mild thumbs up.

Jurassic Park Dominion - Yep, still terrible. I remember when dinosaurs were actually threatening in the old JP movies, whereas here they're videogame grunts that anyone can outmaneuver hand to hand. Reminds me of those polls where Americans think they can take down an elephant bare-fisted. The whole locusts sub-story was dumb and all the acting felt phoned in. Finally, why was this SO LONG.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #41566 on: February 10, 2023, 08:30:56 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #41567 on: February 10, 2023, 08:40:56 PM »
I enjoyed the new shucky/terminator movie more than m3gan.

the evil senient AI angle is already played out. the entire movie was sold on the the little dance scene before she chases down and stabs the chinamen. it wasn't all bad, but sentient robots are never going to be as creepy as black magic/voodoo/possessed dolls were back in the 80s and 90s.

they try too hard to push the angle of the robot having a mind of it's own, but what's creepy about machines is that they can be mindless and kill you. like those gore videos of people getting caught up in machinery at work. whats hits your gut is that the machine will rip you to pieces with nothing behind it. no emotion, no anger, no survival instincts. it's just unforgiving of you making a small mistake and anyone watching is powerless to help, because you're not overpowering a motorized piece of equipment as it's twisting your co-workers body up like a meatgrinder.

Bebpo

« Reply #41568 on: February 11, 2023, 12:43:23 AM »
Candyman (the new one) - Not bad. Was pretty well directed and stylish and good acting from everyone, especially Yahya Abdul-Mateen II in the lead. The script is alright but kinda falls off in the last 20 mins. Solid enough horror movie and makes me look forward to Nia De Costa directing The Marvels this year.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41569 on: February 11, 2023, 01:20:06 AM »
Finally got around to watching Ready Player One.

Wow, that was a mess. Gotta be one of Spielberg's worst movies ever. Would have worked much better as a TV series.

Don't really know what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't something as bland as that.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 08:37:08 AM by Potato »
Spud

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #41570 on: February 11, 2023, 08:49:33 AM »
I liked the whole The Shining sequence, mostly from a technical perspective, though I guess it also would have Kubrick spinning in his grave

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #41571 on: February 11, 2023, 05:10:55 PM »
Death On the Nile

Fairly bland but still somewhat interesting to watch, mostly because I still haven't quite figured out these Branagh Agatha Christie movies. On the one hand I get the feeling Branagh wants to evoke that classic Hollywood feeling with the star loaded cast and grand, leaning into hammy, performances, but at the same time they're almost awfully modern with the use of CGI. I think this movie would gain a whole lot more if the characters had actually been in Egypt, if it actually felt like they were all on a boat.

Also I wonder a little about how well Agatha Christie stories still hold up as some elements were pretty weird. Like how there was a whole crew of about 15 people on the ship who were never considered as possible witnesses or accomplices. The captain of the ship apparently had nothing to say either about how people on his ship kept dying. Though maybe that's something the book handles better than the movie adaption

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #41572 on: February 14, 2023, 04:06:42 AM »

this is gonna rule. wish I could see it in imax tbh  8)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #41573 on: February 14, 2023, 09:26:07 AM »
Fathom Events release tomorrow night of Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey. Do I dare? 

:sicko
©@©™

Tuckers Law

« Reply #41575 on: February 14, 2023, 02:56:31 PM »
If Tom and Steven were to team up again on a movie

:lawd

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #41576 on: February 14, 2023, 03:43:50 PM »
If Tom and Steven were to team up again on a movie

:lawd

Eyes Wide Shut 2
©@©™

HaughtyFrank

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #41578 on: February 15, 2023, 09:50:25 AM »
Ant-Man 3 barely leading The Eternals on RT for worst reviewed MCU movie, big oof.
©@©™

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #41579 on: February 15, 2023, 01:48:01 PM »