Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4177653 times)

Tasty

Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #41280 on: November 01, 2022, 04:15:34 PM »
Three Mothers is passable but the cinematography was annoyingly bad IIRC.

Polident Hive

« Reply #41281 on: November 01, 2022, 05:49:31 PM »

Man, they already did this with the NES Christmas movie last year.

Tasty

« Reply #41282 on: November 01, 2022, 07:29:44 PM »
Are My Summer Story and A Christmas Story 2 still canon or is this a Halloween 2018 situation?

Polident Hive

« Reply #41283 on: November 02, 2022, 07:36:59 PM »

:popcorn

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41284 on: November 02, 2022, 10:47:16 PM »
I know it's most likely a consequence of YouTube compression or the small screen, but that whole trailer looks like a Pixar film.

Is the whole thing just 3D animation?
Spud

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #41285 on: November 03, 2022, 03:50:38 AM »
It's not youtube compression avatar movies have always looked terrible.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #41286 on: November 03, 2022, 03:53:12 AM »
I'm feeling tired thinking about sitting in a theatre trying to make it through this movie.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41287 on: November 03, 2022, 05:22:55 AM »
No doubt that's a "wait until it releases on streaming" movie if I've ever seen one
Spud

Polident Hive

« Reply #41288 on: November 03, 2022, 06:22:39 PM »
That Chip and Dale movie from last year was surprisingly good.

I suspect there’s a dumb media analysis term for copying something but getting ahead of accusations by admitting it. They do that here with Roger Rabbit, in the prologue. Sets expectations and it didn’t fail that concept. For a modern Disney movie, it can get mean spirited and has adult innuendos. Clicked when I saw Akiva Schaffer directed it. It’s not Pop Star or Bash Brothers. But it has that spirit, smoothed down for a PG movie.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #41289 on: November 03, 2022, 09:47:13 PM »
Yall need to watch Black Adam.

Can't say too much but it's the best super hero movie since iron man 1

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #41290 on: November 04, 2022, 09:38:43 PM »
Inferno wasn't what I'd call a "good movie" but is an interesting movie in that it feels like an NES ROM hack or something. It also has a fun score by Keith Emerson, even he couldn't measure up to the "GOBLINS"' Suspiria though.
QED

Bebpo

« Reply #41291 on: November 05, 2022, 01:49:54 AM »
Nope was really great. Fun and nicely shot. Keke Palmer was super good. I'm curious what the original 4 hour cut was like. Can't imagine the pacing working for the scope of the story.

Also between Us and Nope, Peele is like the only horror maker that actually makes creepy films anymore. Like 99% of horror & gore doesn't phase me, but in Us the antagonists were super creepy and in Nope

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The concept of all these random people getting sucked up and slowly digesting to death in the insides of the alien creature is...pretty disturbing!
[close]

I feel like Peele actually gets how to do scares/creepiness vs just like jumps and gore and violence.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 11:34:27 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #41292 on: November 05, 2022, 12:37:51 PM »
Thinking about Nope some more, I think my only complaint with it is Steven Yuen's storyline feels underbaked. The parts are there but it doesn't really come together into anything. Could see some of the extra runtime of the original cut focusing more on fleshing his storyline out. Would be neat if an extended cut comes out someday.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41293 on: November 06, 2022, 07:53:45 AM »
Im Westen nichts Neues
Incredible movie, probably among my top list of movies I've seen this year. Filming techniques aside the raw depiction of war is even more intense than 1917.
It shows the cycle of war in all its brutality. With that said after the introduction most of it takes place at the end of the war, while the book covered the earlier years in much more detail too.

I've never seen the 1930's version but from what I'm reading on the interwebs they 'modernized' it and instead of focusing on the home front, the subplot was switched to politicial negotiations.
While these scenes are well made it's probably confusing for people who are unaware of the rivalry between the military and politicians or how the German government under the Kaiser was organized.
Not to mention why the conditions for peace were so brutal for the Germans.

The Germans make very few of these type of movies (for obvious reasons) but they are always far and beyond most other non-Hollywood war movies.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #41294 on: November 06, 2022, 09:59:57 PM »
Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior - Was ok. I honestly think the first Mad Max was a lot better than this. The car action scenes were a lot more exciting and better shot in the first movie and the movie's missing the character stuff from the first film. The cinematography in the first movie was pretty good and stylish. Here it feels kind of bigger budget bland.

It just became a more generic film. Now you've got your comedy buddy, you've got your kid (although the wild boomerang kid was great), etc...

In the end it just sorta feels like a cheesy, weaker, less stylish Fury Road. It was fine, but definitely enjoyed the first movie a lot more.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 10:08:57 PM by Bebpo »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41295 on: November 06, 2022, 10:45:03 PM »
Weird: The Al Yankovic Story is the best comedy I have seen in a long time.  10/10

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #41297 on: November 07, 2022, 02:56:35 PM »
Weird: The Al Yankovic Story is the best comedy I have seen in a long time.  10/10

I had no idea the Roku Channel was free?

Was like "yeah I'm not subbing to another channel, I'll catch it when it's on something else", but looked it up and it's free? Guess I will be watching this soon!

I know they also have the exclusive for Documentary Now! S4. Not sure if there's anything other notable new content exclusive to their channel.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #41298 on: November 07, 2022, 02:58:37 PM »
https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1589695430404677632

:wut

A live action Gears could be good, just a shame they've missed the boat by 12 years.
(ice)

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #41299 on: November 08, 2022, 11:54:35 AM »

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #41300 on: November 08, 2022, 02:07:31 PM »
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #41301 on: November 08, 2022, 05:52:31 PM »
I watched Hocus Pocus 2 at a Halloween Party a couple fo weeks ago

They pulled the Marvel bullshit big scene with floating power orb battle garbage

:doge
:O

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #41302 on: November 09, 2022, 12:20:15 PM »
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #41303 on: November 09, 2022, 12:20:47 PM »
What

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41304 on: November 10, 2022, 03:50:32 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #41305 on: November 10, 2022, 05:36:01 PM »
Morpheus and Neo in the same movie again :gladbron

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #41306 on: November 10, 2022, 06:19:18 PM »
Morpheus and Neo in the same movie again :gladbron
that happens in 3

Hap Shaughnessy

• Canadian Ambassador to Guam (Ret.)
« Reply #41307 on: November 10, 2022, 07:17:24 PM »
Where is Scott Adkins?  :existential
OBE

paprikastaude

« Reply #41308 on: November 11, 2022, 04:10:00 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #41309 on: November 11, 2022, 09:06:38 AM »
I fell asleep watching 2 :lol

Tasty

« Reply #41310 on: November 11, 2022, 10:20:00 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #41311 on: November 12, 2022, 02:42:18 AM »
Watched Cronenberg's Videodrome for the first time.

That was a lot of fun. Great body horror stuff. I think I expected the story to be a little crazier or supernatural horror than

EVIL GOVERNMENT CONTROLS YOU WITH SIGNALS
[close]

but was still very fun.

Looking forward to diving into the special features on the Arrow 4k release. I think it's mostly the same ones from the Criterion BD of it.

This trailer is amazing tho

« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 02:48:45 AM by Bebpo »

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #41312 on: November 13, 2022, 03:44:22 PM »
Black Panther 2. Good stuff

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41313 on: November 13, 2022, 07:09:01 PM »
Watched No Time To Die again at home after being unimpressed when it originally released in cinemas.

I must say, I liked it a lot better the second time around. Because you know where it is headed and I had very high expectations when I first went to see it.
Overall I would say it is good but uneven. Feels like the latter half of the story is just there to connect the set pieces rather than the set pieces supporting the story.
We need a forest scene in Norway because we somehow have to get these new Fords in  :thinking

The Hungarian has his island in Japan because then it can be disputed  :thinking

Also after having grounded topics like shadow banking, natural resources and vengeance a plot that revolves around DNA poison just seems less fitting to the Craig era of Bond.
Especially because it is very out of character for Mallory to even risk such a thing.
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #41314 on: November 16, 2022, 12:05:58 PM »
Watched Morbius,

Not sure where all the hate comes from, it was pretty entertaining. Better than something like winter soldiers or civil war.

Tasty

« Reply #41315 on: November 16, 2022, 12:34:54 PM »
Watched Morbius,

Not sure where all the hate comes from, it was pretty entertaining. Better than something like winter soldiers or civil war.

HAVE SEX, EKSE

Polident Hive

« Reply #41316 on: November 16, 2022, 05:06:21 PM »
So disappointed when I learned that scene doesn’t represent the movie.

Propagandhim

« Reply #41317 on: November 16, 2022, 07:46:14 PM »
Just saw Primer.  Didn't understand it for shit.   Had to watch a Youtube video half as long as the film to get it.  I should have watched that Youtube video ahead of time...
........as a primer.   :miyamoto
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #41318 on: November 16, 2022, 08:10:25 PM »
Just saw Primer.  Didn't understand it for shit.   Had to watch a Youtube video half as long as the film to get it.  I should have watched that Youtube video ahead of time...
........as a primer.   :miyamoto
[close]

Been a while since I watched it, but I remember the emotional and dramatic elements being fairly easy to follow even if the universe and its rules aren't (see also: Christopher Nolan). But yeah, it's astounding how deep the rabbit hole goes and how much the director planned and thought about things.

Shame he turned into an absolute uber-creep, tho.

Propagandhim

« Reply #41319 on: November 16, 2022, 08:12:23 PM »
Yeah, I understood it at a superficial level, but the YT video really fleshed out a lot of what I was missing.  ...and I was missing a lot.  Probably requires multiple watchings for smoothbrains like me.

Shame he turned into an absolute uber-creep, tho.

Oh, just saw the wiki.  Yikers.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #41320 on: November 16, 2022, 08:49:37 PM »
I think the main thing about Primer is that after you read how it works and that yes it actually does make sense you can totally ignore it. The first time you think you need to figure it out as they explain it when it's better treated as technobabble about avoiding a paradox since most people wouldn't even realize the paradox trying to be avoided.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #41321 on: November 17, 2022, 04:17:27 PM »
Probably gonna try to see The Menu this weekend, it sounds unhinged.
©@©™

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #41322 on: November 17, 2022, 09:37:30 PM »
Saw A Christmas Story 2: Electric Boogaloo, I was expecting a complete shitshow like 8bit Christmas but nah it was a worthy sequel to the first.  :usacry
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 09:50:18 PM by D3RANG3D »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #41323 on: November 18, 2022, 12:11:37 AM »
Primer reminds me of The Prestige. Not the actual movie, the disappearing man trick by Borden. Amazing concept but the audience doesn’t really know what they’ve just seen. It could have done with a bit of showmanship to elevate it. But shoestring budget and all that so I get it.

Bebpo

« Reply #41324 on: November 18, 2022, 03:41:56 PM »
After watching all the docs and interviews on Cronenberg's Videodrome, I dig it even more. Like it's not super deep and the story doesn't necessarily make full sense and is open to various interpretations, but it's just a fun weirdo movie with a neat premise, cool special effects and quotable lines. Definitely fits the cult classic tags. I didn't know Deborah Harry was the lead vocalist from Blondie. She does a great Noir vixen in this.

When watching it the first time I definitely took notice that
Once he puts the VR helmet on, the next scene just cuts to normal hallucinatory life again and you're missing the scene where he takes it off. Like it's pretty clear from Cronenberg's comments that he thinks what is happening the rest of the film is really happening and Wood's character kills himself at the end. But he definitely left it open to interpretation that the whole last third of the film is one long hallucination inside the VR helmet. There's even a deleted scene where later on he's walking on the sidewalk and looks at his reflection and he's still wearing the VR helmet.
[close]

Watching the Cronenberg docs though made me want to check out some of his earlier stuff I haven't seen. Like Shivers is about gross parasites that make people have sex orgies? Uhh..sounds entertaining  :lol  Plus I've never actually seen Scanners besides the head explosion and I guess I always mixed up 2006's Oscar Winning CRASH with Cronenberg's 1996 CRASH because I never saw either and thought Cronenberg had an oscar winning film that people though was overrated and shouldn't have won the oscar that year. I should watch that one too when I get around to it.

Bebpo

« Reply #41325 on: November 20, 2022, 12:55:16 AM »
Kiyoshi Kurosawa’s Cure - what the fuck did I just watch

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #41326 on: November 20, 2022, 04:34:21 AM »
I love the intro to that movie.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41327 on: November 20, 2022, 06:50:05 AM »
Mads in the new Indie

🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #41328 on: November 20, 2022, 02:23:28 PM »
I love the intro to that movie.

Yeah, it's entertaining. But the plot didn't grab me. The themes are fine, but it just was kind of ridiculous and doesn't really make any logical sense.

Like once they start introducing that the antagonist is using HYPNOTIC POWERS to get people to murder people and carve Xs in them...it's kind of silly supernatural. Then when it starts going into like the old house from 100 years ago and the old silent video and SOUL CONJURING and implying that like this person studied hypnosis a hundred+ years ago and maybe there was some supernatural magic aspect to it and it lets people be "cured" from society identity and just go primal and kill and carve Xs in the necks and then like suddenly a hundred years later a grad student discovers it and is using it on people to "cure" them or something. And then he passes on the skills to the main detective who after killing him and maybe/probably his wife is now happy because he's cured and now does the same thing to the waitress at the end.

Also it definitely seems like the antagonist guy has some type of amnesia thing (where he says all his insides are on the outside and now inside he's empty) which they are trying to compare with the detective's wife's amnesia. But I didn't really understand that.
[close]

Idk, was reading breakdowns/essays of the film last night afterwards and I sorta get the themes of society/identity/primal subconcious but I also don't really understand some of the plot stuff because the movie is really weird and vague and I find that unsatisfying since I want to connect the dots to what actually occurred in the storyline.

Tasty

« Reply #41329 on: November 20, 2022, 09:21:11 PM »
https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3741033/crystal-lake-creepy-duck-design-reflects-on-jasons-childhood-with-new-fan-poster-for-peacock-series/

We don’t yet know much about the approach for Bryan Fuller, A24 and Peacock‘s upcoming Friday the 13th series “Crystal Lake,” but we do know that the series is set to serve as a prequel to everything we know about the long-running franchise. That means it will likely center on Pamela Voorhees, and we expect the series will also explore Jason’s childhood.

:thinking

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3740647/james-wan-and-jason-blum-in-talks-to-merge-their-companies-into-one-mega-horror-powerhouse/

Variety reports that James Wan and Jason Blum are in “advanced talks” to merge Wan’s Atomic Monster and Blum’s Blumhouse Productions, the two horror titans looking to form what Variety is describing as a “mega house of chills and thrills” over at Universal Pictures.

:thinking

Bebpo

« Reply #41330 on: November 20, 2022, 09:29:43 PM »
Pearl

Well that was super boring. I think I'd liked it even less than X since my issue with X was just that it was a boring straight forward slasher. Pearl gets points for trying to do something more interesting, but I don't think he pulls it off that well and it's just a dull film. Like Ti West's usual slow burn works because the slow burn is the tension building and the dread until things pop off. But for most of this, it's not even a horror film and so it's just a slow burn mediocre drama that eventually pops off into horror and is sorta ok, but nothing interesting or special?

House of the Devil is my favorite indie horror flick of all time, but this is three films in a row from Ti West that I haven't enjoyed so I think I'm out at this point. Can't see myself watching MaXXXine. Not sure why these X films are getting such good reviews.

Only fun/interesting part in Pearl was the scarecrow scene.

Also these last few years, so many indie horror films have like 80%+ RT but most of them are pretty whatever. It's like the cool thing now for everyone to overrate indie horror films. Makes it tough finding the actual good ones worth watching. Malignant, The Night House, Antlers are the only ones I can think of that I'd recommend from the last two/three years. Maybe like 2/3rds of Barbarian. Still need to see Bodies, Bodies, Bodies, Smile, Terrifier 2.

*edit* actually looking at the horror flicks I've seen in the past two years I'd also add in SlaXX and Psycho Goreman as good indie horror. Plus for non-indie (well Malignant probably doesn't count as indie), Nope was great.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 09:37:19 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #41331 on: November 20, 2022, 10:38:02 PM »
Chapek is out as CEO for Disney, Iger is back. I guess this is a good thing for Disney/Marvel movies/tv/etc...cause Chapek was cheap.

With how Zaslav is basically not only destroying media, but also the USA, Chapek is such a small fry I can't really care much about this /shrug.

Tasty

« Reply #41332 on: November 20, 2022, 10:46:37 PM »
This could be a “JJ returning to Star Wars” situation, more than a “Steve Jobs returning to Apple” situation…

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #41333 on: November 21, 2022, 08:14:43 PM »
Smile was far better than I expected it to be.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41334 on: November 22, 2022, 08:38:29 PM »
Black Adam starts with 6 minutes of exposition :dead

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41335 on: November 22, 2022, 10:24:52 PM »
I liked the movie, but can't honestly say it is well crafted, especially when compared to Shazam.  I also like that the rock had an opportunity to play a 5000-year-old slave instead of himself and he chose himself.   

Bebpo

« Reply #41336 on: November 22, 2022, 10:56:27 PM »
I liked the movie, but can't honestly say it is well crafted, especially when compared to Shazam.  I also like that the rock had an opportunity to play a 5000-year-old slave instead of himself and he chose himself.   

I'm not convinced The Rock knows how to play any character besides The Rock.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41337 on: November 23, 2022, 07:24:15 AM »
He kind of acts, at least a bit, for 5 minutes when he is out of superhero mode.  Then he says 'shazam' and he turns into the rock. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Bebpo

« Reply #41339 on: November 26, 2022, 05:29:41 PM »
Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special - This was dumb but entertaining. Like going for a dumb holiday special in the first place is fine, but can you at least make it funny besides the "it's so bad that makes it funny har har"? I barely laughed during the 45 mins and it made me a bit worried about Gunn's ability to bring the funny in Guardians 3. I think it's also hurt that the Guardians of the Galaxy game came out between 2 and this and the cast and humor is so much better in the game than this. Cosmo is a huge downgrade here :(

But it's entertaining and colorful and I didn't dislike it entirely. Was serviceable as a dumb joke holiday special, but also maybe the worst thing in the entire MCU.

The Celluloid Closet - 1996 Documentary about the history of gay men and gay women in film from the early 1900s to 1990s. It's really well made and interesting. It's a bit rushed in that it's trying to cover the evolution of gay characters every era in two hours, but it still comes together well. Enjoyed it a lot. The recent 4k BD in Sony Pictures Classic's 30th 4K BD collection has an entire hour of extra unused interviews and I'm going through that now and enjoying it just as much. Would have liked to seen a new featurette by the filmmakers chronicling the changes from the early 90s to modern day as the last thirty years have changed the landscape of sexuality in films considerably.