Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4185341 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #41340 on: November 26, 2022, 06:49:27 PM »
Watched Equilibrium. Matrix/1984 thingy that flew way under the radar starring Christian Bale. Sean Bean dies in this, so it's a good film.
Perhaps the most anti-climatic ending 'boss fight' of all time and some crude 2000's CG but a great performance from Bale as a man with no feelings.
The Gun Kata holds up well too.
🤴

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #41341 on: November 26, 2022, 09:40:05 PM »
The Celluloid Closet - 1996 Documentary about the history of gay men and gay women in film from the early 1900s to 1990s. It's really well made and interesting. It's a bit rushed in that it's trying to cover the evolution of gay characters every era in two hours, but it still comes together well. Enjoyed it a lot. The recent 4k BD in Sony Pictures Classic's 30th 4K BD collection has an entire hour of extra unused interviews and I'm going through that now and enjoying it just as much. Would have liked to seen a new featurette by the filmmakers chronicling the changes from the early 90s to modern day as the last thirty years have changed the landscape of sexuality in films considerably.

Take notes Disney this is how you do gay

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41342 on: November 27, 2022, 07:27:30 AM »
Watched Equilibrium. Matrix/1984 thingy that flew way under the radar starring Christian Bale. Sean Bean dies in this, so it's a good film.
Perhaps the most anti-climatic ending 'boss fight' of all time and some crude 2000's CG but a great performance from Bale as a man with no feelings.

The obvious influence you're missing is Fahrenheit 451, specifically the Truffaut adaptation, which I literally wouldn't believe you if you claimed the makers hadn't seen

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41343 on: November 27, 2022, 10:35:55 AM »

The obvious influence you're missing is Fahrenheit 451, specifically the Truffaut adaptation, which I literally wouldn't believe you if you claimed the makers hadn't seen
Well observed, visually it takes cues from Gattaca too. Pretty strange how it is basically just a mashup of a dozen different films.  :doge
Surprisingly enough Minority Report came out the same year as Equilibrium.

Story wise Equilibrium sort of feels like a snapshot of what should've been a trilogy of films and the story is where it loses out to Gattaca and the first Matrix.
A lot of the story happens off screen.
🤴

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #41344 on: November 27, 2022, 10:48:48 AM »
I liked the movie, but can't honestly say it is well crafted, especially when compared to Shazam.  I also like that the rock had an opportunity to play a 5000-year-old slave instead of himself and he chose himself.   

It wasn't awful but the movie kind of felt out of time, specifically with the kid character. "kid protagonist skateboards through town getting chased by goons" felt 90s as hell

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41345 on: November 27, 2022, 12:06:41 PM »
Ya.  Like having the cool kid young audiences can identify with is a staple of the genera and why we have characters like Shuri, but to take that trope back to the 90's was a feat.  Really felt like it belonged in TMNT.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #41346 on: November 27, 2022, 09:11:00 PM »
I hadn’t seen Menace II Society since like high school. Man, it has aged terribly.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #41347 on: November 27, 2022, 09:37:51 PM »
rewatched Poolhall Junkies.

This movie so good.

Tasty

« Reply #41348 on: November 27, 2022, 09:52:39 PM »
I hadn’t seen Menace II Society since like high school. Man, it has aged terribly.

I thought it was fun.

Bebpo

« Reply #41349 on: November 28, 2022, 03:05:59 AM »
Mad Max 3: Beyond Thunderdome

:rofl

What the fuck is this movie  ???

The start was ok campy with MASTER BLASTER and Thunderdome and stuff, even if Max was completely a different character.
But then ...THE PETER PAN KIDS  :derp

So like who decided that what Mad Max needed was...a kids movie?
Then who bought all the coke that apparently everyone involved was on to then make it as a total nonsensical movie??

Why

Out of the 4-movie boxset I'm going through this is the only film with ZERO behind the scenes features/commentary. Which sucks because this is the one movie where I want to know what the fuck was going on behind the scenes that caused this movie to exist  :lol

There's bad and then there's BEYOND THUNDERDOME.  :rimshot

Bebpo

« Reply #41350 on: November 28, 2022, 03:09:54 AM »
Google found me this. I will watch this tomorrow and see if I gain any understanding of what the fuck this movie is

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #41351 on: November 28, 2022, 02:00:45 PM »
Google found me this. I will watch this tomorrow and see if I gain any understanding of what the fuck this movie is

George Miller kinda checked out after his friend and producer Byron Kennedy died in a helicopter crash while location scouting.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #41352 on: November 28, 2022, 03:31:27 PM »

George Miller kinda checked out after his friend and producer Byron Kennedy died in a helicopter crash while location scouting.

Yeah, I read about that. Though I don't know if it explains the whole film being a kids movie in the first place. Feels like a studio thing. "How can we expand our audience after Road Warrior? What about marketing to kids? Let's make it an Ewok-y, Peter Pan, family franchise!" which even on its own would've been fine if it worked, but the movie is really bad and constantly makes no sense. That part I can see being because Miller bailed and someone else directed it.

Although I wonder if that direction tilt came from Road Warrior having the goofy Feral Kid as a sidekick and maybe he tested really well with the audiences and so they were like let's make the series about Max and goofy kids from now on.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41353 on: November 28, 2022, 06:45:41 PM »
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #41354 on: November 28, 2022, 06:50:15 PM »
Well obviously, WB is footing half the budget and Sony dumped Villeneuve after BR2049 flopped.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #41355 on: November 30, 2022, 02:01:37 AM »
It is amazing to me that the studio backed a sequel to a movie that was a flop at launch only to become a cultural touchstone later, and is surprised that the critically acclaimed sequel also failed to find an audience in its initial run.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #41356 on: November 30, 2022, 01:56:34 PM »
I’m glad we got it at all, and moreso that it was actually really good.  Gives me eternal hope for more DREDD.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41357 on: November 30, 2022, 05:50:44 PM »

Not sure about the Hans Zimmer bass but it looks pretty good
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #41358 on: November 30, 2022, 06:17:43 PM »
Hmm my massive amount of cynicism is slowly melting. There’s more game stuff here than I expected.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #41359 on: November 30, 2022, 06:20:35 PM »
The trailer tries a bit hard with being "epic" but it also seems like there's a real movie there instead of just videogame references

Tasty

« Reply #41360 on: November 30, 2022, 06:25:51 PM »
Honestly Mario's voice is less distracting than his face. I'm too used to the official CG render or something, because Mario here is grinding hard on the uncanny valley's gyrating ass.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41361 on: November 30, 2022, 07:13:04 PM »
I wonder how they navigated around the fact that Shigeru Miyamoto never wants to prioritize the story in any project.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41362 on: December 01, 2022, 01:22:33 PM »
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #41363 on: December 01, 2022, 02:48:25 PM »
:hesright

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #41364 on: December 01, 2022, 02:51:36 PM »
I watched an ep or two and yes its pretty shit, but it didn't seem any more boring or lame than the 15 mins I watched of the first film back in the day :trumps
(ice)

Tasty

« Reply #41365 on: December 01, 2022, 06:19:18 PM »
I watched an ep or two and yes its pretty shit, but it didn't seem any more boring or lame than the 15 mins I watched of the first film back in the day :trumps

:jeanluc But Fellowship is the best one!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41366 on: December 01, 2022, 09:31:51 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #41367 on: December 01, 2022, 09:51:37 PM »
Needs more Warlock.

High Evolutionary looks good. Swole Groot is dumb. Writing seems about on par with the Holiday special.

Borealis

« Reply #41368 on: December 02, 2022, 02:01:14 AM »
Interested. Really didn't care for or like Vol. 2, while the first is probably in my top three Marvel films.

Haven't been interested in anything from phase 4 so far, can't believe this is hitting the fifth.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #41369 on: December 02, 2022, 11:05:58 AM »
Was a little worried that the movie was maybe overhyped but I ended up really liking Everything everywhere all at once.

Story resonated a lot with me and I just absolutely loved all the visual language the movie used. Heard previously that the same vfx people who worked on FX Legion worked on this as well and their handwriting was definitely all over it. Just love how much more you can accomplish with some clever editing tricks compared to plastering everything full with CG.
Hope this can get an Oscar nod.

Also Michelle Yeoh is wonderful as ever.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #41370 on: December 04, 2022, 06:43:23 AM »
Heard previously that the same vfx people who worked on FX Legion worked on this as well and their handwriting was definitely all over it.

Yeah, also one of the writer/directors directed an episode of Legion, as well as both being slated to work on a TV show with Noah Hawley, and I think both used a lot of the same production crew, because I found a lot of stuff 'clicked' with an "ooooooOOOOooooohhhhhh" when I found that out in terms of certain stylistic and thematic choices.

Also they made the TURN DOWN FOR WAT music video, lol

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41371 on: December 04, 2022, 10:39:03 PM »
No Way Home extended edition is great and fixes the major flaw of Doctor Stange's odd behavior.  He comes across more as sympathetic to Peter and trying to help instead of being an arrogant nincompoop. 

Bebpo

« Reply #41372 on: December 04, 2022, 11:36:46 PM »
No Way Home extended edition is great and fixes the major flaw of Doctor Stange's odd behavior.  He comes across more as sympathetic to Peter and trying to help instead of being an arrogant nincompoop.

There's that much of a difference? I thought it was like a few mins extra footage.

Bebpo

« Reply #41373 on: December 05, 2022, 01:54:22 AM »
Something in the Dirt

THIS IS SO BAD. Why did they make this  :cry

I think this is not supposed to be taken on face value and that it's a comedy satire of the conspiracy theory documentary genre. But even then it should be 60-80 mins. Not a full 2 hours. It's 2 hours of conspiracy nonsense that's kinda funny at a times but really just fucking boring and absolutely zero budget pandemic made film.

Benson & Moorhead's first flick, Resolution, is also a no budget two man show on one location, but Resolution feels like a cool weird Lynch-like film. This is just boring nonsense.

Spring is amazing. The Endless is amazing. But Synchronic was just ok (good concept, great lead performance, so-so execution), Moon Knight was terrible and now Something in the Dirt is terrible. Kind of a concerning trajectory for these two guys...hope they get back on track.

Cannot recommend anyone waste two hours on this one.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 02:00:24 AM by Bebpo »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41374 on: December 05, 2022, 08:20:29 AM »

There's that much of a difference? I thought it was like a few mins extra footage.

It's like just 3 extra minutes to make Doctor Stange not weird and it works, and then it's 8 minutes of extra jokes, which are pretty good.  For such a long movie, I have no idea why they would choose to cut strange stuff for the original release. 

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #41375 on: December 05, 2022, 10:34:14 AM »
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #41376 on: December 05, 2022, 01:24:24 PM »
Iirc my feelings were that Resolution was cool but The Endless kinda missed the mark. Gonna have to revisit them someday cause my memory is fuzzy on why I felt like that.

Polident Hive

« Reply #41377 on: December 11, 2022, 06:15:56 AM »
House of Gucci Ridley Scott’s best since The Last Duel. Reading a little on the real story, as usual plenty is omitted for brevity. Only makes it more surprising it ended up as a movie instead of an 8 episode limited series. It sound like it’s been going around Hollywood for some time with various actors and directors attached. Some of the choices, like Chris Evans in place of Adam Driver, were disasters dodged. And on disasters, Jared Leto was actually fun in this. He’s never believable as like a real human so acting as the Olive Garden worked here.

Kimi A COVID movie and tech panic thriller, mixed with some other then-in-the-news topics like the cop riots, et al. that’s somehow pretty good. Tight 80 some minute movie.

Marry Me by this point I needed something in the background and I wasn’t confident in a longer movie before the plane announcements interrupt every two minutes. It was this or Thor 4. It’s a fine enough rom com. Weird choice, Owen Wilson’s wife isn’t dead, as typical for single fathers in these movies, and is barely brought up. Early on the daughter prefers the mom because her boyfriend is exciting. But when Owen dates the pop star, the daughter likes him again. There’s a lesson there probably.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41378 on: December 14, 2022, 02:52:46 PM »
Jenkins is out
https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/1602824242684252161

Rumor has it Kathleen Kennedy is axed too and Disney is reshooting Indy 5.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #41379 on: December 14, 2022, 05:37:26 PM »
Why would they reshoot Indy 5, that makes no sense.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41380 on: December 14, 2022, 05:45:11 PM »
John Williams let it slip during a performance that they're shooting a new ending.
It was rumored but he basically confirmed it.

https://twitter.com/JonasJCampbell/status/1602853149018099712
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #41382 on: December 15, 2022, 04:08:39 AM »
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #41383 on: December 15, 2022, 10:21:10 AM »
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #41384 on: December 15, 2022, 06:09:53 PM »

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #41385 on: December 15, 2022, 06:11:20 PM »
Rumor has it Kathleen Kennedy is axed too and Disney is reshooting Indy 5.

Isn't Kennedy being axed rumored every other week? And as much of a mess the star wars movies turned out to be the TV section seems to be doing pretty great. I believe it when I see it.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #41386 on: December 15, 2022, 07:39:40 PM »
Taylor Swift is making her directorial debut for Searchlight Pictures. She's also going to star in the movie which is rumoured to be a biography about the daughter of a plantation owner who taught B.B King how to play guitar.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #41387 on: December 16, 2022, 10:37:55 PM »
Avatar 2 is probably the greatest thing I’ve ever seen on the big screen. Not the best movie, probably not even a great movie but it’s a great spectacle. Beautiful, incredibly paced, thoroughly entertaining and masterfully crafted.

Tasty

« Reply #41388 on: December 16, 2022, 10:39:55 PM »
Avatar 2 is probably the greatest thing I’ve ever seen on the big screen. Not the best movie, probably not even a great movie but it’s a great spectacle. Beautiful, incredibly paced, thoroughly entertaining and masterfully crafted.

Gravity in IMAX 3D was quite a ride. How's this compare?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #41389 on: December 16, 2022, 10:52:09 PM »
It’s the most intense parts of Gravity turned up to 11. 70% of this movie or more is action and none of it is lazy. The last third starts up and it’s just some of the greatest set pieces I’ve ever seen. I loved Gravity in 3D but this is on another level.

Everything from the
spoiler (click to show/hide)
hunt scene
[close]
forward is  :o

Edit: don’t get me wrong, I loved Gravity in 3D but it’s like comparing an appetizer to a 5 course meal. You just get so much more of that feeling

Himu

« Reply #41390 on: December 16, 2022, 11:10:23 PM »

I cannot wait especially as a big fan of the original (particularly the directors cut). IMAX only obviously.

Has anyone seen Megan?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 11:25:54 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41391 on: December 17, 2022, 01:24:25 AM »
Still not convincing me. I'm waiting until it comes to Disney+
Spud

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #41392 on: December 17, 2022, 07:04:16 AM »
how long is avatar 2?

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41393 on: December 17, 2022, 07:17:43 AM »
Friend saw it with his kid. Said he fell asleep and to wait until it hits streaming.
Spud

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #41394 on: December 17, 2022, 11:34:02 AM »
Forget about Avatar 2. Trailer for best movie of 2023 just dropped.

https://m.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #41395 on: December 18, 2022, 12:19:41 AM »
Cameron did it again. Pretty amazing spectacle, a definite experience. The story is still corny, the characters barely there, but improved on from the original. The dialogue is not as ham-fisted.

The guy still knows how to shoot action shots. Everything is in frame, you don’t get lost while it’s going on and he gives you these money shots at the right time where you just kind sit in awe of his craftsmanship.

It’s kind of hard not to do the compare/contrast with recent Marvel movies and be embarrassed at how bad they look compared to this movie. But it just shows the level of care and time that goes into this vs those Mcburgers.

You can break the movie into three acts, almost by the hour. First hour is the set up, second hour is like an underwater Nat Geo documentary, last hour is a huge action set piece calling back to all his previous films. You would think the last hour would be the best, but it was probably the weakest for me. Some people loved that hour the most, so ymmv.

So, much like the original, it’s worth the ticket … but I have no desire to ever watch it again.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 12:24:06 AM by ToxicAdam »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #41396 on: December 18, 2022, 12:49:08 AM »
That last hour is such a great payoff for the buildup. I’m not sure I loved it more than the 2nd hour, but it was definitely more intense and made great use of the 3D.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #41397 on: December 18, 2022, 01:44:50 AM »
Yea it’s good, much more satisfying than the ending of Avatar 1. I just think the fatigue of the movie set in for me and there’s a lot action movie contrivances that pile up in that last hour that you have to turn your brain off for.

This is just a joke, but you’d think the humans would’ve figured out a way to make cockpit glass that doesn’t get penetrated by arrows after getting their asses kicked 10 years prior. Guess the technology isn’t there yet. :)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #41399 on: December 19, 2022, 01:20:39 AM »
The Banshees of Inisherin - Weird, but good and very Irish. I thought Kerry Condon did a better acting job than either lead.