Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4140986 times)

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
Re: The Movie News Topic
« Reply #21000 on: August 28, 2014, 01:35:14 PM »
Scorsese's been on a roll but it seems like has last few films have been him indulging a bit in the outlandish.

Hope he's actually interested in the band as middle-class rejects turned unlikely music pioneers, and not just keeerrrrraaazzy CBGB antics.
___

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #21001 on: August 28, 2014, 05:03:04 PM »

I'm not sure what the fuck this trailer is

Also I'm pretty sure the other guy is a International Banker Mandark
vin

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #21002 on: August 28, 2014, 06:23:39 PM »
hey guys the new Doctor Doom costume leaked!

:kobeyuck
乱学者

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #21003 on: August 28, 2014, 06:24:56 PM »
F4 is going to be so bad.  It is a teenage discovery movie; gayer than PD.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #21004 on: August 28, 2014, 06:35:43 PM »
reminds me of

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #21005 on: August 28, 2014, 06:43:54 PM »
Did anyone actually expect a good movie?

no. looks like a super phoned-in job just to keep the rights, sadly
乱学者

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #21006 on: August 28, 2014, 06:47:52 PM »
The Conspirator:  has a lot of b actors that I like and I enjoy historical drama.  b-/10

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #21007 on: August 28, 2014, 06:58:51 PM »
Did anyone actually expect a good movie?

no. looks like a super phoned-in job just to keep the rights, sadly

They need to hurry up and lose the rights, along with Sony and Spider-Man, so the Marvel Cinematic Universe could be even more awesome.
©@©™

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #21008 on: August 28, 2014, 08:29:46 PM »
Sony was on the right track with Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. Had the right tone and the right directors. They just bitched out on the rating. Anyway, Marvel has Ghost Rider back now.
nat

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #21009 on: August 28, 2014, 08:30:33 PM »
Pretty sure Marvel already has Ghost Rider back.

Honestly FF would be the best for marvel to get back not only for galactus, doctor doom and (super) scrulls, but because ff would complement their current line up.  xmen is too big, and spiderman is a bit toxic at this point

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #21010 on: August 28, 2014, 08:46:43 PM »
Sony was on the right track with Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. Had the right tone and the right directors. They just bitched out on the rating. Anyway, Marvel has Ghost Rider back now.

How I feel about it as well.

cool breeze

« Reply #21011 on: August 28, 2014, 08:57:18 PM »
Yeah, Marvel wouldn't wuss out on Galactus, that's for sure.

after reading the guardians of the galaxy comics and seeing how it translated to the movie, I don't know about that.

nothing is really known about this fantastic four movie, except that it's probably based on ultimate fantastic four and is being made for the rights, which ain't starting on the right foot.  but who knows.  it's kinda weird how little has been said or shown about it.  the picture of the thing and doctor doom are both green screen sneak shots.  even ant-man with its problems had a lot of "no no everything's fine!"

and I don't know whoever made Dredd should get the Punisher

Dickie Dee

« Reply #21012 on: August 28, 2014, 10:00:38 PM »

I'm not sure what the fuck this trailer is

Also I'm pretty sure the other guy is a International Banker Mandark

Unlike some of his more recent projects, “Saving Christmas” isn’t a documentary. It’s a comedic narrative that weaves together educational elements that, through a character-driven storyline, address these common complaints and critiques.

Cameron said some of the claims that will be addressed in the film include: the notion that Christmas is really a church co-opting of winter solstice celebrations, that Jesus was not born on December 25, that Christmas trees are pagan and that consumerism is overshadowing the true reason for the season.

“It’s a scripted story about a guy named Christian White who represents the typical white Christian male and he’s got a bad case of religious bah humbugs,” Cameron said. “He is just deflating his wife’s entire Christmas party because he has come to believe that everything we’re doing at Christmas to celebrate is wrong.”

:dead
___

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #21013 on: August 28, 2014, 10:27:48 PM »
I like to believe that The Bore is a comedic narrative that weaves together educational elements that, through a character-driven storyline, address common complaints and critiques.
©@©™

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #21014 on: August 28, 2014, 10:38:04 PM »
I want a ghost rider movie about this guy:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
sup

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #21015 on: August 29, 2014, 12:19:42 AM »
Danny Ketch Ghost Rider with a fast fucking bike and a lot of fire and chain action. Nail that sense of dread when you see a dude with a flaming skull blaring down some lost highway coming for you. Make it loud and fast with a lot of crumping metal.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #21016 on: August 29, 2014, 06:12:21 AM »
i forget, wasn't he kind of in the first movie?  i know i watched the damned thing, but i can't remember anything about it except eva mendes giving me dangerous levels of wood the entire time.

Yeah.  Sam Elliott reprised his role of [Insert Sam Elliott Cowboy in a Movie Here].

But a movie based on that by itself, with or without Elliott would be awesome.
WTF

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #21017 on: August 30, 2014, 08:50:51 AM »
Cuz of dis thread I watched Eastern Promises again this morning.

Still so good. :lawd

On a depressing note, for someone whose Russian entirely comes from Dota 2 and Soviet writing I understood way too much of what was being said without subtitles. :goty2

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
« Reply #21018 on: August 30, 2014, 03:55:32 PM »
watching Blue Streak. Forgot how much i loved this movie :heart
first film i ever saw on dvd.
zzz

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #21019 on: August 30, 2014, 05:29:06 PM »
Neighbors - I laughed a lot more than I expected

The Other Woman - I also laughed a lot more than I expected

She-Devil - one the one hand this film is a movie of female empowerment, on the other it's crazy misogynistic.  dude use an experimental serum on a woman who is dying.  it cures her and gives her super healing powers, so not sick for the first time in her life, she starts doing what she wants up to stealing and beating a dude up.  this freaks the male doctors out who decide the only thing they can do is kill her.  so they do. 

Tonya

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #21020 on: August 31, 2014, 07:09:17 AM »
I liked Locke. I was disappointed that it wasn't more crackerjack and thriller-y like the synopsis had me believe, but I thought it was a good acting showcase.

Godzilla is :trash Fucking LOLNO1CURR whenever shit isn't blowing up and the effects can be pretty poor.

I watched like 30 minutes of Rover but decided that I am not in the mood for a deeply bleak, meandering Australian film right now. I'll get back to it.
reckt

Freyj

« Reply #21021 on: August 31, 2014, 11:32:48 AM »

Read the book summary for Under The Skin. Explains a lot of the backstory the movie forgoes.

Wow that does help a lot, thanks. Wish the movie went just a bit more into this, could have made it very good.

I don't know if the goal was to avoid as much science fiction as possible in favor of horror, but I agree having some insight into what the fuck is happening would have been nice.

The final scene was relatively close to the book iirc, but I think the summary of the movie spoils that she is an alien, so it's not some grand reveal. I dunno.
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #21022 on: September 01, 2014, 12:43:01 AM »
I liked Locke. I was disappointed that it wasn't more crackerjack and thriller-y like the synopsis had me believe, but I thought it was a good acting showcase.

Godzilla is :trash Fucking LOLNO1CURR whenever shit isn't blowing up and the effects can be pretty poor.

I watched like 30 minutes of Rover but decided that I am not in the mood for a deeply bleak, meandering Australian film right now. I'll get back to it.

I'm really excited about Rover, but the movie tagline calls it the follow-up to another movie -- I thought I should see that one first, but the trailer for it makes it seem as though it has nothing to do with Rover. So I'm confused and torn.

etiolate

« Reply #21023 on: September 01, 2014, 12:49:52 AM »
finally saw the Veronica Mars movie

pretty meh like a really long season 2/3 episode with extra fan service

The funny thing is that Veronica is a character who somehow gets dumber with age. She seemed like a far better PI and decision maker as a teenager than she does as a supposed 30 something in the show. Bad writing will do that to ya.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #21024 on: September 01, 2014, 01:43:48 AM »
well shit, Sin City: A Dame to Kill For ends up being not exactly great, but I'm not entirely sure why.  Its certainly no less violent, nudity packed (holy crap at Eva Green), or fatalistic then its predecessor, but it sure feels a lot less novel, energetic, and even thrillingly vulgar then the film it follows.  Were those flaws always there?  I don't think they were as much, the stories in Sin City were snare drum tight, this time they meander a bit.  The characters last time were paper thin but performed with verve, this time around not everybody acquits themselves as well, not even all of the returning players do.  There's a lot of parts that are great fun, some impeccably shot bits, some fun story turns.  The math is the very much the same but this time it doesn't add up as well.  Its hard to be too disappointed by a film that's still entertaining on the whole, but I kinda was, go figure.

I'm now officially putting Robert Rodriguez on my shit list, as everything he's done for the last decade now seems like a inferior reversion of something he already did (or in Machete's case, did so even more recently).  Sorry Rob, lay off the sequels and we'll talk, yeah?

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #21025 on: September 01, 2014, 03:20:48 AM »

I'm really excited about Rover, but the movie tagline calls it the follow-up to another movie -- I thought I should see that one first, but the trailer for it makes it seem as though it has nothing to do with Rover. So I'm confused and torn.

Rover is the new movie from the director of Animal Kingdom, which was excellent. There is no connective tissue other than that.

Also I did finally watch this and it was beautiful. Such an ugly, nihilistic film :tocry It has a very simple story but has good atmosphere, acting and had interesting themes. Watch The Rover, breh.
reckt

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #21026 on: September 01, 2014, 11:15:21 AM »
that's all about right.  I felt the same way about Machete('es), and the first one he didn't even direct all by himself.

Its so very strange, as Rodriguez was maybe 'the guy' who was leading the digital film movement on the studio side, and now that everybody has caught up to where he always was the guy who should have the most experience shooting digitally now makes films that just objectively don't look as good as he used to make them.  Machete Kills was dispiritingly bad, Sin City 2 is above mediocre but is no great shakes.  I can't hate on any film that has the wisdom to give lots of screentime to Powers Boothe, a great cameo to Christopher Lloyd, and violently murders Jeremy Piven.  But still, I'm not exactly going to rave about it.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #21027 on: September 01, 2014, 03:57:55 PM »

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #21028 on: September 01, 2014, 04:58:39 PM »
not happening anytime soon.

Arnie elected to do Terminator:Prequel/Sequel/Reboot instead.  If you want to look at pre-sales posters for films that never got made, there's tons of em'

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #21029 on: September 02, 2014, 01:52:01 PM »
I was surprised how entertained I was by GOTG. I'll eat crow. I have been disappointed by all the marvel movies for awhile now. It helps that more than one character has charisma in it and its not such a joyless slog. Fun movie is actually fun.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #21030 on: September 02, 2014, 04:38:50 PM »
Just got TIFF tickets for Adam Wingard's (director of You're Next) new movie The Guest with director Q&A. Stoked.
:noah
zzzzz

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #21031 on: September 02, 2014, 09:30:24 PM »
They're doing that at BAM here, but I will probably end up missing it due to other commitments

Tonya

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #21032 on: September 02, 2014, 11:54:56 PM »
Watched Edge of Tomorrow. I knew almost nothing about this movie going in other than that it was supposed to better than you would expect based on seeing a movie poster. And indeed its a good movie. It also works better if you literally know nothing about it beforehand.

I like it because its simply a well done interesting twist on what is essentially a genre film. It will probably end up being a popular cult film in the future and that's rare for a Tom Cruise project.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #21033 on: September 03, 2014, 12:11:53 AM »
Just got TIFF tickets for Adam Wingard's (director of You're Next) new movie The Guest with director Q&A. Stoked.
:noah
Nice.  Saw a trailer for that in front of The November Man, it looks awesome.  Substantially less awesome, The November Man, which will someday marginally entertain bored people surfing through Netflix/cable on a lazy afternoon in the background while they sort laundry.  Every year there's a bunch of mediocre, yet somewhat well budgeted films with some moderate star power that fail to get wide theatrical play.  This is the lucky one that made it.  A violent but rote spy thriller that's enlivened only by Pierce Bronsnan performing his absolute damnedest to breathe some life into this thing.  He's a 60 year old man who looks like a 60 year old man who is clearly running, punching, shooting, yelling and glowering, especially glowering, in a part that could have been played perhaps more credibly by some other August aged badass (Liam Neesons, Stallone, 70's Bronson).  But most people wouldn't give this sort of beige espionage dreck (human McGuffin, corrupt Russian/CIA dealings, etc.) so dang much conviction, he almost makes it work.  Even if his whole character arc boils down to "Papa spy is very disappointed with you", as he repeatedly punks out his bland but dogged former protege who pursuing him.  Christ, I can't even describe the plot without stumbling over another cliche, Jesus.

Um, yeah, its not terrible or nothing, but its pretty dang generic.  Bronsnan does more for the film then it does for him.  I'm sure he had a lot of fun making it, I hope so at least, his obvious dedication is there on the screen, I hope next time its used to better ends.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #21034 on: September 03, 2014, 06:18:05 AM »
Watched Edge of Tomorrow. I knew almost nothing about this movie going in other than that it was supposed to better than you would expect based on seeing a movie poster. And indeed its a good movie. It also works better if you literally know nothing about it beforehand.

I like it because its simply a well done interesting twist on what is essentially a genre film. It will probably end up being a popular cult film in the future and that's rare for a Tom Cruise project.

I liked it, but found that I wasn't really thinking about it afterward at all. Usually that kind of movie has me wondering for days after, working out which parts are viable or not, which cause paradox, etc. In this case, I was lightly entertained, enjoyed the ride, and forgot about it. I keep forgetting I've seen it.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #21035 on: September 03, 2014, 06:57:34 AM »
if you have netflix and want to watch a pretty good indie psychological horror film, check out Proxy.  It goes in directions you will probably not see coming.  it's full of fucked up people doing fucked up things.  it's almost a domestic noir in that most of the characters are women in these odd familial situations.
Tonya

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #21036 on: September 03, 2014, 08:36:46 AM »
Watched Godzilla (2014) and halfway through I thought "At least Godzilla 1998 wasn't this boring."

Atomic breath down muto throat leading to decapitation was hella sweet though. Just not worth the two hour wait to get to it. Also find it funny that we keep importing these british actors just to have them play american boy scout brand beige wallpaper.
[close]

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21037 on: September 03, 2014, 09:09:53 AM »
Also find it funny that we keep importing these british actors just to have them play american boy scout brand beige wallpaper.

That was probably the most obvious issue I had with the movie. They get Bryan Cranston in there and he's pretty awesome, but, nope, he can't be the main character because he's not TRUE AMERICAN HERO enough.  :beli
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #21038 on: September 03, 2014, 03:52:23 PM »
Next week Godzilla 2000, Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, GMK: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack, and Mothra Rebirth Trilogy all come out on Blu-Ray, so you gotta give Godzilla 2014 some credit. :rejoice
©@©™

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #21039 on: September 04, 2014, 06:30:31 AM »
New Godzilla is so goddamn bad.
reckt

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21040 on: September 04, 2014, 08:58:17 AM »
They're actually making a sequel with Ghidorah?

Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah, apparently.
dog

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #21041 on: September 05, 2014, 12:31:56 PM »
if anyone wants to watch a fascinating documentary on UFO culture and history, check out Mirage Men which traces the intersection of gov't misinformation on true believers.  This isn't some 70s Chariots of the Gods type "documentary" this is a fascinating look at 80s UFO culture and some of the "players" in that sandbox
Tonya

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #21042 on: September 05, 2014, 07:32:51 PM »
Days of Futures Past is fun and entertaining and better than most cape shit but listening to thespians say awful cape shit dialogue is painful. It's hard not to feel bad for Stewart, McKellan, McAvoy and Fassbender.
reckt

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #21043 on: September 05, 2014, 07:39:49 PM »
Patrick Stewart held a little dog and yelled LONG LIVE DUKE LETO once. Plz.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21044 on: September 05, 2014, 07:51:04 PM »
I'm pretty sure Patrick Stewart actually enjoys doing movies like that.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #21045 on: September 05, 2014, 08:31:18 PM »
©@©™

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #21046 on: September 05, 2014, 08:41:22 PM »

"that's not a movie, Jake"
:pacspit
[close]

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #21047 on: September 05, 2014, 08:48:48 PM »
My point is cape shit is terrible and thespians deserve better.
reckt

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #21048 on: September 06, 2014, 09:05:02 AM »
Also, how can Iron Man tank direct hits from Thor in The Avengers, but the armors seem to be made out of cardboard in Iron Man 3?

So many inconsistencies for plot purposes in this film.

THE DUALITIES.

Am I doing this right? I GIS'd for "iron man dualities" and found this:
http://revelio.deviantart.com/art/Iron-Man-Duality-405479855
I can't tell if it's a boy or a girl. Rebel, rebel.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #21049 on: September 11, 2014, 01:46:12 AM »
http://theinterrobang.com/simon-peggs-daughter-saved-star-wars/

If I'd been in Pegg's shoes, I'd have cried happy tears, too.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #21050 on: September 11, 2014, 07:20:40 AM »
Supposedly leaked Vision reference render from the new Avengers

___

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21051 on: September 11, 2014, 09:06:30 AM »
dog

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #21052 on: September 11, 2014, 12:19:23 PM »

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #21053 on: September 12, 2014, 04:09:30 AM »
I liked Edge Of Tomorrow more on rewatch and DOFP less. I need to see the new Apes. I'll never watch Winter Soldier or GotG. Cape shit :trash
reckt

Kara

« Reply #21054 on: September 12, 2014, 04:59:07 AM »

G The Resurrected

« Reply #21055 on: September 12, 2014, 06:39:03 AM »
Already got my tickets reserved for this tear jerker.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21056 on: September 12, 2014, 09:18:22 AM »
I don't think anyone in Guardians of the Galaxy or Winter Soldier actually wore a cape, though. But seriously, GotG is more like Star Wars and Winter Soldier is more like The Bourne Identity rather than just feeling like another Marvel superhero movie.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 03:55:48 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Himu

« Reply #21057 on: September 12, 2014, 11:22:52 AM »
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #21058 on: September 12, 2014, 11:41:22 AM »

I'm glad they decided to put a record scratch after every joke in the movie so I'll know where the funny parts are.
©@©™

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #21059 on: September 12, 2014, 11:57:14 AM »
Why is Lacey Chabert forcing me to watch this filth? :noah