Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4281977 times)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Re: The new and improved "Movies you've seen recently" thread
« Reply #32460 on: November 24, 2018, 12:56:38 AM »
So has your relationship with your mom been completely destroyed?
serge

Bebpo

« Reply #32461 on: November 24, 2018, 01:22:52 AM »
Watching Buster Scraggs, this 3rd one is waaaay too long. First was ok, second was good. 3rd...please end already.

Bebpo

« Reply #32462 on: November 24, 2018, 02:52:44 AM »
Ballad of Buster Scruggs was alright. As above, the first was ok, second was pretty good with nice cinematography, third was so fucking long but otherwise was funny dark humor just needed to be like half the length, fourth was ok, five was pretty good but the ending was needlessly dark the twist could've just been

spoiler (click to show/hide)
That the quiet looney old man was the badass savior in the end. Didn't need to kill the girl. Felt a bit mean-spirited.
[close]

The last one was the best for sure. It was pretty funny (what it'd be like to be in a small carriage with a bunch of strangers of different types yapping) and also kinda a neat little story in the end.

Also I remember hearing some a few years back about how white Coen brothers movies are. Now I love the Coen Bros and their filmography, but man I really noticed the lack of anyone non-white besides EVIL INDIANS and all the women roles felt kinda misogynistic as well. Like I get that it's the setting for mostly white cast, but idkkkk in the wake of more representation in the last few years I think they could've done that a bit here.

But yeah, Zoe Kazan & Tom Waitts are treasures.

Bebpo

« Reply #32463 on: November 24, 2018, 04:00:15 AM »
Thinking about it a little bit more before bed, I did enjoy that if you look past the content of the stories, as just a setting I like how the six stories basically portray six varied little aspects of life around the time. Like a landscape painting. Outside maybe story 5, the rest of the stories all feel like the strangers stories that populate RDR and flesh out the world, and that's basically what they do in Buster Scruggs.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
Re: The Movie News/Reviews Thread
« Reply #32464 on: November 24, 2018, 08:52:44 AM »
:galaxybrain Live action Fantasia

Already been done, with Nic Cage no less

WDW

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #32465 on: November 24, 2018, 09:46:31 AM »
:galaxybrain Live action Fantasia

Already been done, with Nic Cage no less

Does he play the racist caricatures?
©@©™

TVC15

« Reply #32466 on: November 24, 2018, 12:35:52 PM »
Jay Baruchel got to be a Disney princess?
serge

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #32467 on: November 24, 2018, 03:06:10 PM »
mom: "let's watch a movie"
me: "Ok. How about a Korean one? This one called the Handmaiden looks good..."

Have you ever watched a 15 minute lesbian 69ing session with your mom? Because I have. And I don't recommend it.

Are you grounded then?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32468 on: November 24, 2018, 07:45:31 PM »
I understand why it failed from a story and tone perspective, but I'm a little lost at how the visuals can be so trash throughout the entire movie. I can only assume they had to redo most of it once Whedon took over or something and rushed to get it done before release date.

From what I've read, despite massive reshoots and a big overhaul of the movie, WB wouldn't move the release date. Why not? WB's president and CEO were worried that might not survive the merger and wanted to ensure they'd get their bonuses from the release. :neogaf
dog

Tasty

« Reply #32469 on: November 24, 2018, 08:49:40 PM »
WB merger?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Tasty

« Reply #32471 on: November 24, 2018, 09:27:55 PM »
Ahhh.

Fucking hacks.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #32472 on: November 25, 2018, 02:12:37 AM »
I picked up Justice League from my library assuming there would be a lot of bonus stuff on the disc that could maybe lend some insight into how it turned out the way it did, but they had a rental copy which meant 100% barebones, just the movie itself. Not even trailers. It's really quite striking how every single shot of any city looks entirely CGI or chroma keyed. Actually, it doesn't even have to be the city. It looks like every single shot in the movie is either fully CGI or the set build enough for about 3 feet of walking and the rest was added later. And somehow, despite the years of advancement since 2002, it is as distracting and fake looking as the Prequel Trilogy in that regard. Everything looks obviously not real, not exactly the same thing as fake, but distracting all the same. And there are so many scenes where one character has to be fully CGI for a few shots and it stands out so much. Then there are times where the shots are entirely CGI and look like they're bordering on Burly Brawl level.

I understand why it failed from a story and tone perspective, but I'm a little lost at how the visuals can be so trash throughout the entire movie. I can only assume they had to redo most of it once Whedon took over or something and rushed to get it done before release date.
i watched this out of boredom/curiosity and agree, i was taken aback by the cgi at times. i actually rewatched the matrix trilogy in memory of assi and was pleasantly surprised at how good the final fight between neo and smith looks and still holds up when compared to new big budget superhero movies

TVC15

« Reply #32473 on: November 25, 2018, 12:26:33 PM »
Watched Atomic Blonde. I enjoyed it more than I expected given its kinda mixed reception.
serge

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #32474 on: November 25, 2018, 04:01:27 PM »
while creed 2 is a fantastic boxing movie, it's just not as riveting as the first. the film loses focus on the characters that entirely drove the plot in the first film and instead resorts to the cheap and manipulative plays that we've come to know all too well in all the focus group media we consume in abundance. despite all that and an all too predictable build-up, creed 2 does land its punches where it matters the most.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #32475 on: November 25, 2018, 09:58:45 PM »
每天生气

TVC15

« Reply #32476 on: November 25, 2018, 10:23:14 PM »
Widows was okay. Needed less, like Chicago politics, and more heist. Spends too much time on the most boring parts of the story. Cast is great. More I think about it, the more aspects of the movie feel undercooked. But I liked it as I was watching. A solid 2.5 or so stars.
serge

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #32477 on: November 25, 2018, 10:27:03 PM »
Yeah Steve McQueen's perfect directorial run is over.

But at least I saw Elizabeth Debicki naked

TVC15

« Reply #32478 on: November 25, 2018, 11:03:13 PM »
I think I’m over Viola Davis. Maybe I should have been before this. She’s the same in everything, although she’s good at that one character. The only notable difference between her in Widows and her in just about everything else is that she carries a cute dog around in Widows.
serge

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #32479 on: November 25, 2018, 11:42:42 PM »
I never thought Viola Davis was any good.
que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #32480 on: November 26, 2018, 01:19:25 PM »
Watched Ralph Breaks the Internet it's very hamfisted in how it addresses at least codependency or more likely masculinity but I sat there thinking "Wow, I know so many people that need to see this."

It was good overall. The highlights were the Princesses and the musical scene. The rest was OK.
que

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #32481 on: November 26, 2018, 01:37:32 PM »

A few weeks ago, I binge-watched "How to get away with a Murder" and thought she was pretty solid. Even electric in a few scenes.

TVC15

« Reply #32482 on: November 26, 2018, 06:58:22 PM »

A few weeks ago, I binge-watched "How to get away with a Murder" and thought she was pretty solid. Even electric in a few scenes.

But that show is pretty damn campy. I don’t think she flies in real dramas.
serge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #32483 on: November 27, 2018, 12:04:58 AM »

:dead :noah

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32484 on: November 27, 2018, 12:11:45 AM »
I really didn't like the first Iron Sky.
dog

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #32485 on: November 27, 2018, 12:13:26 AM »
Watch the original then  :jawalrus

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #32486 on: November 27, 2018, 01:03:12 AM »
Worst timeline
Venom passed Wonder Woman this weekend :rejoice

Coax

« Reply #32487 on: November 27, 2018, 09:41:31 AM »
Watched MI: Fallout on native 4K Blu-Ray. Good stuff. One of the largest films, filesize-wise on the format so far at 96GB (on a 100GB disc). The IMAX aspect ratio for the helicopter chase sequence shots is also transitioned to and preserved which I didn't even notice until it was pointed out in one of the commentary tracks. Was surprising listening to them at how some of the more unexpected scenes were Cruise's own stunts or filmed as-is, including:

- The plane jump shot was one continuous take of a real skydive with Cruise. They originally tested a green screen rig but he didn't find it 'believable'. Paris below and added environmental effects however were obviously added in post.
- The bike driving sequence leading up to and around the Arc de Triomphe was all Cruise during the 90 minute window they had to shoot, surrounded by stunt cars. The spinning launch over the car after getting hit at the end of the sequence was also practical.
- Cruise piloted his own chopper, including all the third person shots, after training for a year and a half. In the valley shots the blades had about 2ft of space on the sides :mindblown
- The climbing and falls off the rope attached to the helicopter, including climbing onto the landing skids. The safety harness in the former only prevented him from falling off the edge though it didn't affect tension when free falling and hitting the payload prop.
- Various shots of both Cruise and Cavill on the rock, including them sliding off the edge, Cruise free climbing, resting on the edge with the sunset, which ironically I assumed would have been the shots most likely to have been green screened given the various CG chopper destruction shots leading up to it.
[close]

Other interesting tidbits for anyone who gives a shit:

- The diver retrieving Harris from the sunken armored vehicle was indeed Pegg in real life despite not seeing his face until the end shot.
- The shots of Pegg and Ferguson and Pegg defusing the bomb were literally the last 15 minutes of the last day of shooting and everyone was stressed to get the right performances completed before midnight else it'd cost dearly for an extra day which wasn't budgeted for.
- Ferguson was seven months pregnant during the ending cabin fight scenes.
- The entire footchase sequence was shot while Cruise's ankle was still recovering from the break following that well publicized jump accident.
- Amusingly the bongo player line up was the third-largest instrumentation for the score.
[close]

I enjoyed some of Rogue Nation's sequences and and tone more and its wrap up but the visuals and choreography throughout here are a treat. The commentary is also worthwhile, particularly the editor's, bringing out other facets of the production and hearing their enthusiasm.

Some IMAX ratio captures (HDR to SDR tonemapped so not representative of how the HDR actually appears, also JPEGs):

[close]

For the 4K-curious, also some cropped comparisons of the 4K BD version to the 1080p BD version of the first screen above, showing the jump in fidelity alone (PNG):

[close]

Yeah, yeah, tl;dr but fuck it :doge Can't get enough of some good UHD releases.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #32488 on: November 27, 2018, 06:10:24 PM »

Wait it stars The Rock?

[close]

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #32489 on: November 27, 2018, 07:28:39 PM »
I get a little depressed when the Joe Bob marathons end :( Truly a great man. Can’t wait until Xmas.

This one was good too

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #32490 on: November 29, 2018, 02:37:25 AM »
the house that jack built is oppressive, cold, hilarious and brilliantly manipulative in the most cruel and unusual way. its lars von trier at his best.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Tasty

« Reply #32492 on: November 29, 2018, 07:06:53 PM »
YES

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32493 on: November 29, 2018, 08:27:36 PM »
Mandy is basically the Citizen Kane of movies.
dog

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #32494 on: November 30, 2018, 10:20:54 PM »
the house that jack built is oppressive, cold, hilarious and brilliantly manipulative in the most cruel and unusual way. its lars von trier at his best.

I need this in my life
:9

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32495 on: December 01, 2018, 08:44:51 PM »
Watched Anon on Netflix.

Short but good. The hacker girl  :lawd
There was however nothing impressive about it in terms of filming or structure.

Clive Owen is always intense in these sort of thriller/drama's and he plays the detective with issues well.
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #32496 on: December 01, 2018, 10:22:40 PM »
some really hardcore fanboi making near 20 minute vid on all the found Snyder version cuts with lots of CGI test/work print stuff for toku and me only #SNYDERISGOD #BLESSUP

[close]

although this is sorta interesting, and you can see Gal Gadot in the Batmask so I'll post it for the normies

Bebpo

« Reply #32497 on: December 02, 2018, 01:19:46 AM »
The Favourite was legit funny. Some of the better lines were in the trailer but there's still a lot of good wit in there and social commentary. It's also extremely well directed with Lanthimos usual awkward unique style and very well acted by all 3 lead women. The costume design on the dresses was amazing. Especially Weisz's sorta military-ish & masculine dresses. It's probably my favorite Lanthimos film, but not by like a large degree and I don't love The Favourite (like it's really good but not one of my favorite flicks of the year). I'm not a huge fan of Lanthimos though I think his style is unique and interesting, but this is definitely his best work. I'd give it like 3.5/4 stars.

Also I'm probably a little biased since I've had a huge crush on Emma Stone since like Easy A and it's very easy to crush on her here. Also used to have a crush on Rachel Weisz since she did the Disney Snow White photo shoot.

Tasty

« Reply #32498 on: December 02, 2018, 01:37:52 AM »
Been going through Stephen Chow's filmography with my buddy who got me into a few Bollywood films.

Kung-Fu Hustle: 4 / 5
Shaolin Soccer: 5 / 5
Journey to the West Part 1: 3 / 5
The Mermaid: 5 / 5

shosta

« Reply #32499 on: December 02, 2018, 01:47:56 AM »
Hustle got a 4 but soccer got a 5? Wack.
每天生气

Bebpo

« Reply #32500 on: December 02, 2018, 01:49:52 AM »

I remember Soccer being better....

And man I really gotta check out The Mermaid. I'm so late to that.

Tasty

« Reply #32501 on: December 02, 2018, 01:50:21 AM »
Hustle is so close to a 5 for me. Maybe a rewatch will push it there.

Soccer made me laugh the hardest of possibly any movie since I was 12-years old watching Austin Powers. I didn't think that'd happen. :lol

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #32502 on: December 02, 2018, 07:54:08 AM »

Hustle is super meh. Try Out of the dark, God of Gamblers 3 (a much superior first draft of Hustle IMHO) or Forbidden City Cop.
ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32503 on: December 02, 2018, 12:50:39 PM »
Go watch Forbidden City Cop, God of Cookery, Sixty Million Dollar Man, and Fight Back to School.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #32504 on: December 02, 2018, 01:12:18 PM »
I have no intention of stopping my Stephen Chow watchfest. :) Thanks for the suggestions though, dude's done a lot of movies haha.

shosta

« Reply #32505 on: December 02, 2018, 02:31:10 PM »
Soccer made me laugh the hardest of possibly any movie since I was 12-years old watching Austin Powers. I didn't think that'd happen. :lol
And it won't happen if you watch Austin Powers, either. Austin Powers has no rewatchability as an adult :goty
每天生气

Tasty

« Reply #32506 on: December 02, 2018, 02:53:20 PM »
Actually I still catch it on TV or whatever every couple years, and 1/2 are still pretty great (if your inner-12-y/o-sense-of-humor is intact.) Goldmember is pretty weak overall though, but still has some moments.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #32507 on: December 02, 2018, 03:40:01 PM »
god of cookery :delicious

TVC15

« Reply #32508 on: December 02, 2018, 03:44:29 PM »
I watched Solarbabies last night and it was better than any of the Marvel Star Wars movies.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #32509 on: December 02, 2018, 08:34:41 PM »
Burning. It was okay-ish, but I wasn't impressed by any single thing here. I'd really only recommend it if you're a Murakami fan. I found it particularly disrespectful of its viewers' time, even for a South Korean movie. Most South Korean movies, even the best, can easily have a half hour of extraneous material cut off with no harm done. Here, it's easily over an hour. This probably wouldn't even be feature length if you let a sane person edit it.
serge

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #32510 on: December 02, 2018, 11:21:24 PM »
at least i don't endorse marvel star wars films  :idont

TVC15

« Reply #32511 on: December 03, 2018, 01:35:04 AM »
at least i don't endorse marvel star wars films  :idont

I just assumed you were on e when you wrote your review, babe. We're only watching Troma movies when you're inside me, anyway, babe.
serge

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #32512 on: December 03, 2018, 01:45:01 AM »
 :whew

ToxicAdam

« Reply #32513 on: December 03, 2018, 08:10:53 AM »
I watched Solarbabies last night and it was better than any of the Marvel Star Wars movies.

They did a 'How Did This Get Made' podcast on that movie. It was great.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #32514 on: December 03, 2018, 12:06:03 PM »

ToxicAdam

« Reply #32515 on: December 03, 2018, 01:11:03 PM »
True. I check in on it every 5-6 months and rarely find an episode that intrigues me.

Bebpo

« Reply #32516 on: December 03, 2018, 04:05:57 PM »
Burning. It was okay-ish, but I wasn't impressed by any single thing here. I'd really only recommend it if you're a Murakami fan. I found it particularly disrespectful of its viewers' time, even for a South Korean movie. Most South Korean movies, even the best, can easily have a half hour of extraneous material cut off with no harm done. Here, it's easily over an hour. This probably wouldn't even be feature length if you let a sane person edit it.

Yup, that first 90 mins was an hour too long.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #32517 on: December 03, 2018, 04:18:56 PM »
The Favourite is like, I dunno, the movie of the year.
vin

benjipwns

« Reply #32518 on: December 04, 2018, 01:33:36 AM »

:rejoice FEMINISM NO LONGER NEEDED :rejoice

benjipwns

« Reply #32519 on: December 04, 2018, 01:54:51 AM »
Also, nobody let Geoff Johns see this or we'll never finish Doomsday Clock and The Three Jokers after he has an emotional breakdown seeing someone else make HIS Green Lantern film.