Author Topic: Fallout 3 Thread  (Read 227482 times)

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
Re: Fallout 3 Thread
« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2008, 11:49:46 AM »
If you read the comic book given to you at your 10th birthday, you get a 1 point stat boost.
Fuck, I just sold it last night. There was another comic that I found and I sold (I think it was a weightlifting mag or something)
jon

Solo

« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2008, 11:55:04 AM »
I fucking loathed Oblivion... would it be fair to say Id be wasting my time with Fallout 3? Or is it different enough, and tweaked enough to be a new, better experience?

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2008, 12:08:24 PM »
Get the PC version if you have the rig for it. PC > 360 version :bow

I like how because the game uses the same engine as oblivion, despite being a great game, your wasting your time.

Hyperbole runs rampant during heavy release periods, apparently.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 12:13:31 PM by MrAngryFace »
o_0

Mrbob

« Reply #123 on: October 29, 2008, 12:26:26 PM »
Yeah I almost feel like kicking myself in the sack for buying the 360 version over the PC version but....I would rather play the game on my plasma, and ease of use X360 wins.  I have to rewire a bunch of shit to get my PC hooked up to it and the 5.1, not worth the hassle for the visual downgrade of the 360 version. 

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2008, 12:50:36 PM »
Get the PC version if you have the rig for it. PC > 360 version :bow

I like how because the game uses the same engine as oblivion, despite being a great game, your wasting your time.

Hyperbole runs rampant during heavy release periods, apparently.
My PC isn't strong enough and I like my "big comfy couch, gamepad, no install, 5.1 sound and big TV"®. The work to move my PC to my TV and make room for it is too much and not a good idea for my situation.
i

MrAngryFace

« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2008, 01:19:48 PM »
I know, but lighting so nice omggggggggggggg
o_0

FatalT

« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2008, 01:26:19 PM »
My PC isn't strong enough and I like my "big comfy couch, gamepad, no install, 5.1 sound and big TV"®. The work to move my PC to my TV and make room for it is too much and not a good idea for my situation.

Unless you're playing it on PS3.

cool breeze

« Reply #127 on: October 29, 2008, 01:51:13 PM »
Nevermind, sounds like it's 360 version again.

What did you expect?

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #128 on: October 29, 2008, 01:52:04 PM »
I want this game so bad. Why do I have to be so broke.
USA

Solo

« Reply #129 on: October 29, 2008, 01:58:13 PM »

If you're replying to my post, er, what? Im not saying that its waste of my time if the game is using the same engine (which it does), but that its a waste of my time if it has all the things I hated about Oblivion still running rampant (about 3 dungeon designs used 1000 times over throughout the world, about 5 different NPC models used similarly, about 3 different NPC voices, again, repeated all over the place, shitty animation, wonky levelling, quests that amount to nothing more than "kill this person", "get this item", or "kill this person and take this item!", loot rendered pointless because every Tom, Dick and Harry is carrying ebony armor, etc.). I dont care if the game uses the same engine; what I care about is if its essentially the same game with a Fallout coat of paint on it (which would make me pass on it), or if they've addressed enough of these issues to make the game its own (enjoyable to play) beast (in which case Id be willing to try it).

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: October 29, 2008, 02:37:16 PM »

Almost every time I think I will try the PS3 version of a multi-platform release, it's always fucked up in some way on PS3.  What is the deal here?
ど助平

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2008, 02:43:16 PM »
the ps3 is slightly shittier than the 360, hardware-wise. why is this so hard to understand

you own both consoles, and the reliably superior version is almost always on the 360. why the aversion to purchasing 360 versions?
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #132 on: October 29, 2008, 02:47:12 PM »

If you're replying to my post, er, what? Im not saying that its waste of my time if the game is using the same engine (which it does), but that its a waste of my time if it has all the things I hated about Oblivion still running rampant (

about 3 dungeon designs used 1000 times over throughout the world -- NO
about 5 different NPC models used similarly, about 3 different NPC voices, again, repeated all over the place -- NO
shitty animation -- it's better in combat, but faces/bodies still don't animate much in conversations. STILL, this a fuckin' AR PEE GEE, not devil may cry
wonky levelling -- still there, but reduced, and enemies match the areas now
quests that amount to nothing more than "kill this person", "get this item", or "kill this person and take this item!" -- this wasn't even an issue in oblivion, and it's even less so in fallout 3
loot rendered pointless because every Tom, Dick and Harry is carrying ebony armor -- NO

hth
duc

cool breeze

« Reply #133 on: October 29, 2008, 02:49:52 PM »
The only times you should think about getting the PS3 version over the 360 version, be it for noise or...uh, controller preference(?) reasons, is when reviews or the developers go out of their way to say the PS3 version is on par with the 360 version.  It can't always be trusted (like with GTA4), but usually if they don't mention anything, the 360 version is better.  Dead Space they talked about how they were on part and I was surprised by how good it was on the PS3.  The best you can hope for is for the game to be on par with the 360 version.  It is a rare case that the PS3 version is better.

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #134 on: October 29, 2008, 02:52:44 PM »

Almost every time I think I will try the PS3 version of a multi-platform release, it's always fucked up in some way on PS3.  What is the deal here?

Because PS3 is made from poorly designed proprietary hardware? 

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #135 on: October 29, 2008, 02:54:21 PM »
the only two cases i can think of where the ps3 version was superior were burnout paradise, which had a few cases of minor frame drop in the 360 version; and devil may cry 4, where they whacked some creature-specific texture effects from the 360 version for some inexplicable reason. i suppose a case could be made for oblivion ps3 over the 360 version if you really, REALLY need anisotropic filtering (i do, and that's why i own the ps3 goty edition).

compare these minor differences to the huge gulfs seen in grid, soul calibur 4, fallout 3, and the ea sports titles, where the 360 version is significantly better visually. ouch!
duc

Smooth Groove

« Reply #136 on: October 29, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
DMC4 on the 360 had real 4xAA though whereas the PS3 version had that disgusting blur filter. 

cool breeze

« Reply #137 on: October 29, 2008, 02:59:27 PM »
Apparently DMC4 was better on 360 because of blurring or something.  I remember people making a big deal out of it.  I also didn't notice a big difference between SC4 on PS3 vs the 360 version.

And I don't think Oblivion or something like Fight Night round 3 would really count considering how much more time the team had to work on them for the PS3 versions.  Then again, Bioshock didn't see a huge bump despite a year difference between the versions.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2008, 03:00:59 PM »
SC4 is technically better on the 360 but you can't tell the difference because the developers chose to use that stupid blur filter w/a greater than 720P resolution instead of 720P w/some AA. 

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2008, 03:10:21 PM »
you can really see the improved lighting effects in the 360 version when the two sc4 versions are side-by-side
duc

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #140 on: October 29, 2008, 03:11:31 PM »

If you're replying to my post, er, what? Im not saying that its waste of my time if the game is using the same engine (which it does), but that its a waste of my time if it has all the things I hated about Oblivion still running rampant (about 3 dungeon designs used 1000 times over throughout the world, about 5 different NPC models used similarly, about 3 different NPC voices, again, repeated all over the place, shitty animation, wonky levelling, quests that amount to nothing more than "kill this person", "get this item", or "kill this person and take this item!", loot rendered pointless because every Tom, Dick and Harry is carrying ebony armor, etc.). I dont care if the game uses the same engine; what I care about is if its essentially the same game with a Fallout coat of paint on it (which would make me pass on it), or if they've addressed enough of these issues to make the game its own (enjoyable to play) beast (in which case Id be willing to try it).

It uses the same engine and it's the same developer, but they've ramped up virtually everything going from Oblivion to Fallout 3. Animation is still kind of stiff at times and character faces rarely show emotion, but writing, voice acting, quests, combat, music, and the world in general are all just so much the better than Oblivion. I can't say for sure if you'll like Fallout 3, but I think you should at least give it shot, maybe "borrow" it from a "friend" before you decide.
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #141 on: October 29, 2008, 03:12:12 PM »
I didn't play them side to side, but it wasn't like GTA4 where I played it at a friends house and immediately thought "fuck...I made a huge mistake" for getting the PS3 version.  As I played it more I realized that I made an even bigger mistake.

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #142 on: October 29, 2008, 05:20:48 PM »
PC version is fucking drop dead gorgeous.  the framerate is insaaaane on my rig. :drool

+LIVE achievements  :rock :rock :rock
pyh

Kestastrophe

« Reply #143 on: October 29, 2008, 05:28:08 PM »
Same here nukka

PC Gaman :rock

Borys :piss2
jon

MrAngryFace

« Reply #144 on: October 29, 2008, 06:09:07 PM »
PC VERSION WOOOO :bow
o_0

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #145 on: October 29, 2008, 06:27:48 PM »
i used to be against the concept of this, but then i realized that i purchased, at full price, the brotherhood of steel i realized i had no leg to stand on.

(i bought it because my friend and i were hardcore into hack and slash games like baldur's gate, and we both loved fall out.  needless to say, just because you say "fuck" a lot, it doesn't make your game better)
Tonya

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #146 on: October 29, 2008, 06:31:55 PM »
PC VERSION WOOOO :bow

If you're a 360 fan, it's got achievements. If you're a PS3 fan, it's got a mandatory install. PC version is the best of both worlds!
©@©™

MrAngryFace

« Reply #147 on: October 29, 2008, 06:33:36 PM »
PS3 version runs like crap I hear, maybe it'll get a patch?
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #148 on: October 29, 2008, 06:34:29 PM »
the patch is called "buy a 360"

you can't fix a budget gpu :gloomy
duc

Solo

« Reply #149 on: October 29, 2008, 06:46:56 PM »

If you're replying to my post, er, what? Im not saying that its waste of my time if the game is using the same engine (which it does), but that its a waste of my time if it has all the things I hated about Oblivion still running rampant (

about 3 dungeon designs used 1000 times over throughout the world -- NO
about 5 different NPC models used similarly, about 3 different NPC voices, again, repeated all over the place -- NO
shitty animation -- it's better in combat, but faces/bodies still don't animate much in conversations. STILL, this a fuckin' AR PEE GEE, not devil may cry
wonky levelling -- still there, but reduced, and enemies match the areas now
quests that amount to nothing more than "kill this person", "get this item", or "kill this person and take this item!" -- this wasn't even an issue in oblivion, and it's even less so in fallout 3
loot rendered pointless because every Tom, Dick and Harry is carrying ebony armor -- NO

hth

Thanks, drinky - Fallout 3 sounds quite fun then!

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #150 on: October 29, 2008, 06:54:55 PM »
honestly, the more i played it last night, the more often i thought "wow, i wish they'd made oblivion like this"
duc

MrAngryFace

« Reply #151 on: October 29, 2008, 07:27:27 PM »
PS3 LAWLZ
o_0

cool breeze

« Reply #152 on: October 29, 2008, 07:28:45 PM »
I've played for close to 10 hours and I haven't even got past the first main quest in Megaton.  I'm helping some psycho bitch write a book.  She told me to get injured and break a bone, so I jumped off this huge platform and while my health went down, my legs weren't damaged at all, so I just ignored the optional one.

oh, and I found some guy living in the middle of a nuked out city who just has sexy parties with these two almost naked chicks all the time.  This game is awesome.

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #153 on: October 29, 2008, 08:22:20 PM »
so should I go ahead and open this bad boy up and play?

Or can it wait?

Im curious to see how I feel about it.

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #154 on: October 29, 2008, 08:24:29 PM »
I started over 'cause there were some things I wanted to do differently and then I ended up killing the overseer before I left the vault.  Is this going to screw with me later or should I go back and do it again?
Tacos

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: October 29, 2008, 08:28:56 PM »
Did the rest of the vault recognize you as their leader now?

They recognize my baseball bat upside upside their heads.

I killed the Overseer too. Who cares? Take that Overseer.

:piss Overseer :piss2
©@©™

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #156 on: October 29, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
Did the rest of the vault recognize you as their leader now?

No but I had his daughter recognize me as the killer. :/

There goes my chaplin job.
Tacos

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #157 on: October 29, 2008, 08:46:06 PM »
im going to wait for the new dash and installs, sounds like it really improves this game.

http://gameinformer.com/News/Story/200810/N08.1029.1019.33076.htm?Page=2

Fallout 3
I was originally pretty happy with how quickly the game loaded up, and while 48 seconds doesn’t exactly set any land-speed records, it beats some of the other loading times out there. After waiting 8 minutes and 37 seconds for the 5.9 GBs worth of files to install, I gave it another shot. The second time around, times were cut to an even better 25 seconds from the dashboard menu to the action. I also timed the loading times for transitioning between inside and outside game environments. Before installing the game, these transitions took about 20 seconds; afterward, it was halved. If you’re planning on spending a serious amount of time with the game, that time savings is going to stack up over time.
itm

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #158 on: October 29, 2008, 09:06:34 PM »
 :bow NXE

Finally installs that actually mean something.  Time to buy a 120GB HD.
Tacos

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #159 on: October 29, 2008, 09:06:59 PM »
honestly, the more i played it last night, the more often i thought "wow, i wish they'd made oblivion like this"

For real

I like looting empty houses for whatever I can scavenge for BOTTLECAPS
fat

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #160 on: October 29, 2008, 11:18:45 PM »
Man I was just strolling around the wasteland at night like an idiot looking through some abandoned shed when I started recieving sniper fire from a Raider in the hills.  I didn't want to waste any ammo on him so I started zig zagging my way toward the guy when all of a sudden two other Raiders jumped out behind some rocks and proceeded to set me on fire with their flamethrowers.  I turned around and tried to get the hell out of there when I ran into a couple of their guard dogs while still taking rifle fire from the guy on the hill.  I gave myself a stim shot then took another step and walked on a landmine.  Gameover.

Fuck this melee shit.  I gotta get a better gun.
Tacos

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #161 on: October 29, 2008, 11:39:31 PM »
I almost impulse bought this earlier, but I really hadn't read any comparison between the versions so I waited. Seeing that 360 version aces the PS3 rev, I'm guessing a PC w/8800 GTS would be even better, ya?

Also, how are the controls for the PC people? I don't need a pad do I?

MrAngryFace

« Reply #162 on: October 29, 2008, 11:43:01 PM »
its like an fps *shrug* its fine really
o_0

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: October 29, 2008, 11:43:47 PM »
One of the things that really impresses me about Fallout 3 is how much an RPG it is compared to Oblivion. Oblivion just comes off as being really dumbed-down and most of your skills ultimately seem pointless. And if you want someone to like you, you just have to mess around a little bit with the persuasion wheel.

All of that is different with Fallout 3. The dialogue is so much better in Fallout 3 that it's almost mind-blowing. Nearly every NPC has several paragraphs of at least decently written dialogue, by a wide variety of voice actors that do a fairly good job. There's a lot of dialogue choices and some that are affected by your karma, intelligence, charisma, and skills, which generally appear in the form of choices with a percentage chance of working. You dialogue choices actually feel like they make a difference.

There's a lot more variety in the quests as well. Sure, there's still some fetch quests, but there are a lot that are genuinely interesting to do.

Another thing is that good weapons and armor are earned by doing hard quests and fighting hard enemies. You can't just level up on easy monsters and then pick up the best items in the game from random bandits. Weapons also degrade the more you use them, so you have to find more or have them repaired. However, money is relatively scarce in this game. And what money you do have is often spent on healing agents and ammo. You can also find schematics to construct your own custom weapons.

Radiation plays a much bigger factor in Fallout 3 than in previous games. It's every where from the water to the food and in several other key places [like the unexploded atomic bomb in Megaton or the waste disposal facility]. You can heal by drinking water and eating food, but whenever you do you also ingest a certain amount of radiation which can have negative effects on your character. Radiation doesn't go away on its own either, you need to visit a doctor or take some meds.

At times, the game can be HARD. Just walking around the wasteland can be the death of you if you happen upon some super mutants or some particularly strong bandits. This is especially true early on when your weapons and armor are weak. Don't be surprised if you die more than once just walking around in the open.

Fuck this melee shit.  I gotta get a better gun.

Melee only is going to be a pain to do. You'd need a huge amount of health and lots of armor because guys will shoot at you from hundreds of feet away.

oh, and I found some guy living in the middle of a nuked out city who just has sexy parties with these two almost naked chicks all the time.  This game is awesome.

Where's that at?
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #164 on: October 29, 2008, 11:51:15 PM »
The game is really brutal on hacking.

4 turns password guessing and DENIED

Or if you fail to break a lock DENIED

I think this game is really great. It's hard to really sell my crap because people barely have any money to trade with.

I'm not sure I like that I am DENIED from even trying to hack because my skill level is too low. 50 skill points to hack "Average" things? I'm only on like 30  :'(
fat

FatalT

« Reply #165 on: October 29, 2008, 11:53:24 PM »
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #166 on: October 29, 2008, 11:53:42 PM »
shut up distinguished mentally-challenged fellow
fat

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #167 on: October 29, 2008, 11:54:48 PM »
After getting locked out of two or three different "Easy" terminals, I always save before attempting to hack.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #168 on: October 29, 2008, 11:55:25 PM »
4 turns password guessing and DENIED

Make sure you log out before the computer locks up completely. That way you can try again later.
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #169 on: October 29, 2008, 11:56:06 PM »
You get 4 new turns if you do that?
fat

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #170 on: October 29, 2008, 11:56:52 PM »
The hacking is pretty ridiculous.  Is there a trick to this that I'm not seeing here or is it literally just 4 random guesses?  Anyone know if (or how) it gets any easier when you raise your skill level?
Tacos

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #171 on: October 30, 2008, 12:01:17 AM »
I think I may hold off on this just because I wanna luxuriate in it. I wanna take my time. And with everything else out, that doesn't seem likely.
wha

cool breeze

« Reply #172 on: October 30, 2008, 12:02:37 AM »
I don't know how to get to rivet city, so i'm just power fisting these super mutant brutes

FatalT

« Reply #173 on: October 30, 2008, 12:03:40 AM »
First game to have the player coming out of a vagina in the opening sequence?

drew

• sy
« Reply #174 on: October 30, 2008, 12:04:59 AM »
^rental confirmed

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #175 on: October 30, 2008, 12:20:47 AM »
You get 4 new turns if you do that?

Yeah.
dog

Kestastrophe

« Reply #176 on: October 30, 2008, 10:25:09 AM »
Question to other PC gamers: For some reason when I started the game my walking speed is actually running and when I use the shift key to run it makes me walk. Last night however, it randomly switched on and I had to use my shift key in order to run. And then this morning it switched back once again. It just seems to happen at random and isn't tied to a skill in the game or a setting, as far as I can tell. Is anyone else having this problem and how do I alleviate it?
jon

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #177 on: October 30, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »
it defaults to "always run" but i don't know about the switching

i caved like a little bitch and bought this last night.

so far, so fun.

remindes me of stalker in some ways.  but vats is fun.  i love charging up to people and shooting them in the head.

unfortunately since it doesn't 100% emulate the FO 1 & 2 system i can't recreate my favorite character type, which is the diplosniper.  smooth talking smooth shooting
Tonya

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2008, 11:24:37 AM »
this game is sounding great.  I've gone back and forth about it a lot, but you guys are making it sound much better than Oblivion.

dark1x

« Reply #179 on: October 30, 2008, 11:26:12 AM »
Do you think my laptop will be able to handle this game? I've got an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU at 1.83 ghz (so I guess 3.6 total?), 3 GB of RAM and a Geforce 8400M video card. If not, I have a 360, but my tv is broken at the moment.
Doubtful.  You'd lose a lot of the visual presentation and experience poor performance.  The 360 version would be a much better bet.