Author Topic: Fallout 3 Thread  (Read 227484 times)

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Re: Fallout 3 Thread
« Reply #180 on: October 30, 2008, 12:29:21 PM »
The turn based combat system is an awesome option. I restarted my game cause I forgot to login to live the first time, and I walked in on the overseer and the guard questioning my friend and before the guard can turn around I do a shot point black to the back of his head and the turn based cinematic showed his head explode into chunks. lol

I cleared out most of the school but I suspect melee is better against giant ants than guns. The gun fights are fun.
o_0

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #181 on: October 30, 2008, 12:33:02 PM »
i'm really enjoying this game.  and i was in the camp that didn't like oblivion.  the wasteland looks amazing when you first see it.  draw distance is amaazing.  omg i wanna keep playing.
pyh

cool breeze

« Reply #182 on: October 30, 2008, 12:37:26 PM »
I actually warned up to VATS when playing yesterday, but I can't imagine ever playing through the entire game that way.  Only time I really use VATS is when I want to throw a grenade.

siamesedreamer

« Reply #183 on: October 30, 2008, 12:54:06 PM »
This game is absolutely incredible.

Last night I experienced my first night outside the vault. Scary as shit. I holed up in some old barn looking thing because I went the wrong direction to Megaton. Didn't want to move because I was afraid of getting ambushed (combat has been somewhat difficult so far...lack of stimpacks).

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #184 on: October 30, 2008, 01:00:09 PM »
This game is absolutely incredible.

Last night I experienced my first night outside the vault. Scary as shit. I holed up in some old barn looking thing because I went the wrong direction to Megaton. Didn't want to move because I was afraid of getting ambushed (combat has been somewhat difficult so far...lack of stimpacks).

I had a similar experience.  I had to walk from the Walmart to Megaton, and it was night, and it was fucking dark.  I figured "no problem, I'll use my light" but that didn't do much.  I ended up going back inside and scavenging for a few hours.  It's like there's a day and night cycle I actually give a fuck about.
serge

Solo

« Reply #185 on: October 30, 2008, 01:01:11 PM »
Jesus christ - this thread makes the game sound fucking awesome. Im going to have to give it a try, and hold EB responsible if I get swindled!

MrAngryFace

« Reply #186 on: October 30, 2008, 01:03:37 PM »
Anyone go through the school yet? Whats beyond the giant ants? Melee isnt my specialty and small arms seem to make them laugh.
o_0

cool breeze

« Reply #187 on: October 30, 2008, 01:09:29 PM »
 I saw a giant ant outside of a super market murdering a bunch of guys trying to fight it off with hunting rifles, so I tried helping.  My weapons barely even hurt it so I ran the hell out of there.  I fear entering the school now, but at leats I have my power fist.

power fist :bow2

siamesedreamer

« Reply #188 on: October 30, 2008, 01:19:15 PM »
I figured "no problem, I'll use my light" but that didn't do much.

Did you find a light or is it a feature for everyone?

cool breeze

« Reply #189 on: October 30, 2008, 01:30:04 PM »
Apparently the light turns on by holding down the pipboy button.  I just read about that yesterday after playing for 10+ hours wishing I had a light.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #190 on: October 30, 2008, 01:35:54 PM »
i was kind of annoyed by the very quick acquisition of energy weaponry in the game.

but i just played fall out 2, so i'm used to the first few hours being spear time
Tonya

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #191 on: October 30, 2008, 02:14:04 PM »
Anyone go through the school yet? Whats beyond the giant ants? Melee isnt my specialty and small arms seem to make them laugh.

There's a quest involving the ants. I destroyed them and got an Ant Might perk (+1 STR and 25% Fire Resistance)
fat

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #192 on: October 30, 2008, 02:15:54 PM »
Is every encounter outside of towns an enemy? I don't have the game yet.
©ZH

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #193 on: October 30, 2008, 02:18:59 PM »
There's occasionally the random straggler who will sell you stuff, or give you a quest. It's for the most part desolate and filled with enemies like raiders and monsters.
fat

siamesedreamer

« Reply #194 on: October 30, 2008, 02:58:37 PM »
Apparently the light turns on by holding down the pipboy button.  I just read about that yesterday after playing for 10+ hours wishing I had a light.

Ah...thanks

dark1x

« Reply #195 on: October 30, 2008, 03:21:16 PM »
Fallout: Stalker Light
Fallout: Playable Stalker

Stalker had some great ideas but was utlimately a broken, buggy mess of a game.  Not even the mods could save it.  I've tried 5 or 6 individual times to get into the game but I just can't stand the massive onslaught of enemies spoiling virtually every area.  Why focus on such a desolate place only to fill it with hoards of mindless drones?  When you couple with awful combat you've pretty much ruined a potentially great thing.

Stalker - Clear Sky seems to be significantly worse in that regard (I most certainly did NOT buy Clear Sky).

TVC15

« Reply #196 on: October 30, 2008, 03:28:47 PM »

Ah...thanks

It's really only useful in doors, heh.
serge

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #197 on: October 30, 2008, 04:10:30 PM »
Question to other PC gamers: For some reason when I started the game my walking speed is actually running and when I use the shift key to run it makes me walk. Last night however, it randomly switched on and I had to use my shift key in order to run. And then this morning it switched back once again. It just seems to happen at random and isn't tied to a skill in the game or a setting, as far as I can tell. Is anyone else having this problem and how do I alleviate it?

Caps Lock switches between Always Run and Always Rock.

By the way, I noticed that NMA and their ilk have been picking at every negative aspect of Fallout 3 in order to convince themselves that it's a horrible travesty that they won't even be able to derive a minute's entertainment from. Reading through their impressions and reviews is hilarious because they blow EVERYTHING out of proportion and squeal like fangirls whenever a review comes out that's lower than 8.0. I think there's only one so far that does and it's not by any site/person that anyone should care about. Ah well, back to the awesomeness of Fallout 3.
dog

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #198 on: October 30, 2008, 04:17:42 PM »
Question to other PC gamers: For some reason when I started the game my walking speed is actually running and when I use the shift key to run it makes me walk. Last night however, it randomly switched on and I had to use my shift key in order to run. And then this morning it switched back once again. It just seems to happen at random and isn't tied to a skill in the game or a setting, as far as I can tell. Is anyone else having this problem and how do I alleviate it?

Caps Lock switches between Always Run and Always Rock.
Thank you my good man. That was bugging the shit out of me
jon

Sysgen

« Reply #199 on: October 30, 2008, 05:09:16 PM »

When you get the pipboy they explain this to you. 

I do not remember the last time I played a game where I didn't want to sleep.  The ironic thing is that playing Fallout 2 put me to sleep.  I could never get through more than an hour.

Anyone else changing their display colors.  I'm using blue to compliment the night and amber to compliment the day. 

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #200 on: October 30, 2008, 05:10:18 PM »
Blue cause blue is for lovers :heart
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #201 on: October 30, 2008, 05:12:16 PM »
I keep it green because it seems to fit the best.  Red would also probably fit well, except it would kill your eyes.  Blue blends in too well.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #202 on: October 30, 2008, 05:21:54 PM »

Stalker - Clear Sky seems to be significantly worse in that regard (I most certainly did NOT buy Clear Sky).

i've noticed less enemies in clear sky but there's some annoying auto spawn stuff which could be fixed with a patch but probably won't
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #203 on: October 30, 2008, 05:22:35 PM »
trad rad green
Tonya

MrAngryFace

« Reply #204 on: October 30, 2008, 05:32:08 PM »

There's a quest involving the ants. I destroyed them and got an Ant Might perk (+1 STR and 25% Fire Resistance)

Any good loot down in the mines? I got the machine gun from the doofus inside the school, but im a small arms character so I may just sell it for more 10mm and 32mm ammo
o_0

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #205 on: October 30, 2008, 05:33:28 PM »
Well did you get the quest first? It's called THOSE, you get it from some boy down at Wilheim's Wharf
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #206 on: October 30, 2008, 05:37:57 PM »

Any good loot down in the mines? I got the machine gun from the doofus inside the school, but im a small arms character so I may just sell it for more 10mm and 32mm ammo

You do realize that an assault rifle is still small arms, right? unless you mean a gattling gun or something like that.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #207 on: October 30, 2008, 05:38:49 PM »
I assumed small arms = pistol, thats awesome!

demi: ill look for him

Id do it right now but my pupils still havent gone back to normal
o_0

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #208 on: October 30, 2008, 05:40:50 PM »
Yeah, Small Arms covers Pistols, Shotguns, and Assault Rifles.
©@©™

MrAngryFace

« Reply #209 on: October 30, 2008, 05:41:14 PM »
sweeeeeet
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #210 on: October 30, 2008, 08:08:38 PM »
I cleared out the super duper mart, once through, grabbed all the stuff inside and ran. Blew a lot of heads off. When youre locked out of a terminal from a failed hack, how long for the terminal to reset? Does it reset?

Giant Mutant Crabs also got pissed that I was near their eggs and chased me all over creation. Took out two of them without wasting TOO much ammo :/
o_0

TVC15

« Reply #211 on: October 30, 2008, 08:10:41 PM »
I cleared out the super duper mart, once through, grabbed all the stuff inside and ran. Blew a lot of heads off. When youre locked out of a terminal from a failed hack, how long for the terminal to reset? Does it reset?

Giant Mutant Crabs also got pissed that I was near their eggs and chased me all over creation. Took out two of them without wasting TOO much ammo :/

I spent too much time looking around in the Super Duper Mart.  Killed everyone in there, and after a while, reinforcements came.  I got lots of ammo and loot to sell though.
serge

MrAngryFace

« Reply #212 on: October 30, 2008, 08:12:39 PM »
Yeah, where do you sell most of your loot. Food lady in Megaton didnt have SHIT for caps, sold her all the frozen food I stole.
o_0

TVC15

« Reply #213 on: October 30, 2008, 08:15:27 PM »
I ran into a random armor vendor outside of megaton.  I sold my shit to him and got new armor.
serge

MrAngryFace

« Reply #214 on: October 30, 2008, 08:35:34 PM »
k, ill be on the lookout. Still looking for the kid that has the ant quest in the school. MAYBE I SHOULD USE THE GUIDE I BOUGHT LULZ
o_0

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #215 on: October 30, 2008, 08:49:45 PM »
Theres nothing at all in a school for the ant quest.
fat

MrAngryFace

« Reply #216 on: October 30, 2008, 08:50:24 PM »
ok, there's a mine under the school full of ants, so I was wondering what was down there.
o_0

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #217 on: October 30, 2008, 08:52:35 PM »
ok, there's a mine under the school full of ants, so I was wondering what was down there.

The ants that you have to fight for the quest aren't regular ants, they're fire ants, which in the world of Fallout means ANTS THAT BREATHE FRACKING FIRE AT YOU!  :drudge
©@©™

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #218 on: October 30, 2008, 08:59:38 PM »
Got the PC version today.  Beautiful fucking game.  After Oblivion's over saturated fuck fest, this game's mellow palette is quite refreshing.  It also seems to run a lot better.    VATS is better and more useful than I thought.  I've only played up to Arefu, but I like it so far.  The opening part was cool. 

I killed Butch's mom, then Butch.  :lol

MrAngryFace

« Reply #219 on: October 30, 2008, 09:11:06 PM »
haha, evil
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #220 on: October 30, 2008, 09:11:45 PM »

The ants that you have to fight for the quest aren't regular ants, they're fire ants, which in the world of Fallout means ANTS THAT BREATHE FRACKING FIRE AT YOU!  :drudge

I wish they put cliffracers in the game just for LULZ
o_0

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #221 on: October 30, 2008, 09:26:57 PM »
Getting to places can be so confusing. Take this tunnel, then find this sewer, then walk down here and take this tunnel. OMFG just let me climb the rubble.
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #222 on: October 30, 2008, 09:40:17 PM »
I found an abandoned vault where everyone went crazy and now my character is starting to have weird hallucinations!  :omg
dog

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #223 on: October 30, 2008, 10:13:31 PM »
Ordered the LE hardback guide.  Getting it shipped to my folks' place where I'll be for the weekend...no pc there, so I'll just read the guide  :-*

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #224 on: October 30, 2008, 11:02:19 PM »
I got the LE guide for free.  Totally forgot I ordered it when I was with GameStop and it came in the mail yesterday. :lol
PSP

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #225 on: October 30, 2008, 11:08:49 PM »
Send it to me
fat

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #226 on: October 31, 2008, 12:17:29 AM »
This game looks a lot better than I thought it would.

PC  :bow2

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #227 on: October 31, 2008, 01:49:28 AM »
Indeed.  Kinda wish I could set it to Ultra settings (drops to low 20s in certain spots with it + 2xAA, 8xAF), but it stays locked on 60 with High + 2xAA/8xAF.  That's with a 3.0 core 2 duo, 8800GTS 512, and 2gb DDR2 ram at 1440x900.

And the game is much better than I thought it would be. 

MrAngryFace

« Reply #228 on: October 31, 2008, 01:51:25 AM »
I have it running ultra high omgggggggg HDR lighting omgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg wasteland omggggggg
o_0

cool breeze

« Reply #229 on: October 31, 2008, 01:53:04 AM »
I'm amazed at how well it runs on my PC.  Everything is at max, running at 1680x1050 resolution, constantly stable frame rate, almost no load times at all.  Just amazing.  V-sync is even on. 

MrAngryFace

« Reply #230 on: October 31, 2008, 01:53:32 AM »
Im more amazed because I remember Morrowind PC
o_0

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #231 on: October 31, 2008, 02:04:49 AM »
fuck you fuckers and your ultra settings.  I should try toning down the AA/AF and turning off Vsync...could probably get it up to 60 on ultra like that

yeah, Bethesda really kicked ass on the load times...practically none.  Optimization is nice too.  huge improvement over oblivion.

cool breeze

« Reply #232 on: October 31, 2008, 02:05:39 AM »
I remember running Morrowind fine, and it should have since I actually got that computer specifically for Morrowind after playing it at a Compusa for an hour and realizing that I must have the game.  Oblivion on the other hand ran really poorly on my other computer (not the same one I got for Morrowind, this one was after the Morrowind one, before the one I'm now) and I was forced to turn down a lot of things about it.

And the load times are seriously incredible.  I can quick save in one part of Megaton, go to the complete opposite end, hit F9 and it will load up instantly.  It almost feels like a gameplay mechanic more than a quick load it's so well optimized.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #233 on: October 31, 2008, 02:07:32 AM »
Oblivion doesn't run so hot on any pc though, especially if you have Qarl's installed.  I got it to a solid 60 but could never get rid of streaming stutters.

FatalT

« Reply #234 on: October 31, 2008, 02:57:39 AM »
30 FPS is good enough for me, heh.

TVC15

« Reply #235 on: October 31, 2008, 03:13:33 AM »
Man, I wasted like 4 grenades, a bunch of assault rifle ammo, and about a half dozen stimpacs to take out the robot in the armory, and everything in there is SHIT.  Like all the busted ass shit guns in there sell for like 11 caps, and there's not much ammo.
serge

MrAngryFace

« Reply #236 on: October 31, 2008, 03:58:04 AM »
o_0

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #237 on: October 31, 2008, 04:00:52 AM »
YUS, i loves the combat shotty
fat

MrAngryFace

« Reply #238 on: October 31, 2008, 04:01:41 AM »
that ones from 4chan /v/, there's a big thread about VATS AM 4 CASUALS blah blah.
o_0

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #239 on: October 31, 2008, 04:02:27 AM »
well i would say it is, but it's not really abusable either. i think when you use VATS you are invulnerable from enemy gunfire.
fat