Author Topic: Fallout 3 Thread  (Read 227473 times)

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Re: Fallout 3 Thread
« Reply #240 on: October 31, 2008, 04:05:53 AM »
Ammo is just so much of an issue I cant imagine not using it.
o_0

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #241 on: October 31, 2008, 04:06:15 AM »
I dunno, I find myself using VATS a lot.  I think it comes back to the guns not feeling like they have any weight when you fire them.  At least when you use VATS, you get a cool little camera change and shit.  Plus I am a spaz and I like to know exactly what I am targeting.  I'm also a nazi about ammo conservation.
serge

dark1x

« Reply #242 on: October 31, 2008, 08:37:17 AM »
For those of you who can run this game at 60 fps without ANY slowdown, try changing iFPSClamp=0 to iFPSClamp=60 in the fallout.ini file (under "Documents\My Games\Fallout3\FALLOUT.ini).  By default, the game has this constant jumpy feeling that ruins the fluidity of 60 fps.  Try panning the camera around and you'll see what I mean.  I think this actually has an impact on basically every PC.  It drove me nuts until I changed that setting.

Having read up on it, however, it turns out that this was set to zero in order to maintain game speed under all framerate conditions.  If you set it to 60, your framerate MUST remain 60 fps at all times else the actual game speed will drop (ie - game will run in slow motion).  You'll need v-sync enabled for this to work as well.  If your machine is up to it and you're using v-sync, this will result in a much smoother Fallout 3 experience.  It looks fantastic.  I'm just happy that I'm able to run the game with Ultra settings + AA + AF and still get 60 fps 100% of the time.  Easily the most optimized Bethsoft experience I've played to date.

i think when you use VATS you are invulnerable from enemy gunfire.
That doesn't seem to be the case.  I was attacked by 4 guys at once and, while using VATS (during the animation), my character was still taking damage.  There were just too many bullets flying.  Same deal with the fire ants (if you use VATS while you're being lit up you will still take damage).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 08:39:20 AM by dark1x »

Sysgen

« Reply #243 on: October 31, 2008, 11:21:40 AM »
...PC bullshit...
That doesn't seem to be the case.  I was attacked by 4 guys at once and, while using VATS (during the animation), my character was still taking damage.  There were just too many bullets flying.  Same deal with the fire ants (if you use VATS while you're being lit up you will still take damage).

Yea, I was just about to post this.  I ran into 2 raiders with automatic weapons and I was definitely taking damage while using VATS.

I'm building my character as an explosives expert.  Using explosives (mines, grenades) in different ways or the opposite accidently tripping them and losing a good portion of your health or getting your limbs blown off just rocks. 

Speaking of limbs, one of the reviews I read said that most players will go for headshots.  That's not the way I'm playing though.  Firstly, a head shot is ruled out for any humanoid or creature with fortified head armor.  Targeting limbs slows the enemy or causes limping which is a really nice touch in the game and cool to see.

I don't usually target weapons or any body parts with armor becuase it severly reduces it's value, but then again sometimes it's a good idea because it's almost impossible to use armor / weapons in really good condition for repair.    If for example I have 2 sets of say Blast armour both at 60% CND I can't use either for repair so if I encounter a raider with Blast Armour I'll purposely target it to reduce it's CND and then I can improve what I'm wearing. 

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #244 on: October 31, 2008, 12:49:42 PM »
30 FPS is good enough for me, heh.

It normally is for me, but I'm spoiled by Crysis and Warhead--would've been awesome if Bethesda could've worked in whatever trick Crytech used to make their games look super smooth at 25-30fps.  30fps in this game seems pretty jerky so far, but I need to experiment more with settings. 

that ones from 4chan /v/, there's a big thread about VATS AM 4 CASUALS blah blah.

they're nuts, this game is pretty difficult even with VATS.  wounding enemies is a priority and if you can target body parts consistently without VATS, you are god.  FPS games have conditioned us to go strictly for headshots, this brings something new to the table.  It's also super useful for scouting enemies at long distances. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 12:52:59 PM by Kranz Fafka »

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #245 on: October 31, 2008, 01:19:28 PM »
...PC bullshit...

Yea, I was just about to post this.  I ran into 2 raiders with automatic weapons and I was definitely taking damage while using VATS.

I'm building my character as an explosives expert.  Using explosives (mines, grenades) in different ways or the opposite accidently tripping them and losing a good portion of your health or getting your limbs blown off just rocks. 

Speaking of limbs, one of the reviews I read said that most players will go for headshots.  That's not the way I'm playing though.  Firstly, a head shot is ruled out for any humanoid or creature with fortified head armor.  Targeting limbs slows the enemy or causes limping which is a really nice touch in the game and cool to see.

I don't usually target weapons or any body parts with armor becuase it severly reduces it's value, but then again sometimes it's a good idea because it's almost impossible to use armor / weapons in really good condition for repair.    If for example I have 2 sets of say Blast armour both at 60% CND I can't use either for repair so if I encounter a raider with Blast Armour I'll purposely target it to reduce it's CND and then I can improve what I'm wearing. 

if you shoot the weapons from their hands you get karma

if you then proceed to drill them, it doesn't go away that i noticed
Tonya

MrAngryFace

« Reply #246 on: October 31, 2008, 01:22:24 PM »
30 FPS is good enough for me, heh.

It normally is for me, but I'm spoiled by Crysis and Warhead--would've been awesome if Bethesda could've worked in whatever trick Crytech used to make their games look super smooth at 25-30fps.  30fps in this game seems pretty jerky so far, but I need to experiment more with settings. 

that ones from 4chan /v/, there's a big thread about VATS AM 4 CASUALS blah blah.

they're nuts, this game is pretty difficult even with VATS.  wounding enemies is a priority and if you can target body parts consistently without VATS, you are god.  FPS games have conditioned us to go strictly for headshots, this brings something new to the table.  It's also super useful for scouting enemies at long distances. 

It's 4chan, I mostly go to their /v/ forum for the lulz ;)
o_0

Sysgen

« Reply #247 on: October 31, 2008, 01:41:19 PM »

if you shoot the weapons from their hands you get karma

if you then proceed to drill them, it doesn't go away that i noticed

Didn't know about the karma. I wonder why that is.  Karma is good.  What if I don't want Karma? I should still be able to take out a weapon.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #248 on: October 31, 2008, 01:51:11 PM »
the few times i've shot weapons i've gotten karma.  as that was the only action i was doing, i attributed it to that.  i could be mistaken.

f you don't want karma you could just steal stuff from people

i love the hacking mini-game, but i wish the Science stat were useful beyond that
Tonya

MrAngryFace

« Reply #249 on: October 31, 2008, 01:52:41 PM »
I luv me some karma
o_0

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #250 on: October 31, 2008, 01:57:47 PM »
is there a tangible effect?
Tonya

MrAngryFace

« Reply #251 on: October 31, 2008, 02:15:25 PM »
I dunno, I just like being good lol
o_0

TVC15

« Reply #252 on: October 31, 2008, 02:27:59 PM »

There's at least one dooder in megaton that won't team up with you if your karma is too high.
serge

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #253 on: October 31, 2008, 03:11:35 PM »

I think the main effect is that it increases your chance of convincing people to give you more money or tell you additional information, things like that. Also, some people will only join your party if you have high or low karma. There's also a perk that requires neutral karma in order to give you its bonus.
dog

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #254 on: October 31, 2008, 03:27:05 PM »
interesting. 

i can't wait to play this some more but this weekend won't be good for that unfortunately.

Tonya

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #255 on: October 31, 2008, 04:13:46 PM »
Got the LE guide today.  HOLY FUCKING SHIT.  Like 500 pages of all text.

Torturous though since my PC is at my apt and i'm at my folks' place for the weekend  :'(

MrAngryFace

« Reply #256 on: October 31, 2008, 04:28:39 PM »
Yeah, the normal guide is huge too. Only difference iirc is one is hardcover and has better cover art
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #257 on: October 31, 2008, 04:46:10 PM »
Well the point is to explore anyway, so the guide should really just be for fuckshitdamn moments
o_0

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #258 on: October 31, 2008, 04:49:51 PM »
Having gotten this off of steam I didn't get a guide.  I've never played a fallout before and only touched Oblivion for about 2-3 hours.  Should I be good without a guide?  I just got to Megaton and am talking to the black guy that reminds me of the character in Jason Goes to Hell (the one who ate jason's heart).

A guide is definitely not necessary...I bought it 'cause I nerded out after a few hours of playing and decided I had to have the LE guide.

TVC15

« Reply #259 on: October 31, 2008, 04:51:21 PM »
Having gotten this off of steam I didn't get a guide.  I've never played a fallout before and only touched Oblivion for about 2-3 hours.  Should I be good without a guide?  I just got to Megaton and am talking to the black guy that reminds me of the character in Jason Goes to Hell (the one who ate jason's heart).

I'm picking up the guide.  I like exploring and all, but the game seems pretty big, and when I play games these days, I like to accomplish something tangible in every session, and sometimes i need a nudge to do that.  Plus I want all the item info so I can effectively min-max and the guide looks big and nice.

My one major complaint in this game so far:  No mini-map.  No open world game should not have an on-screen mini-map at all times.  
serge

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #260 on: October 31, 2008, 04:54:06 PM »
A guide is most definitely not necessary. The only quests available in the game are the achievements. The quests themselves are just expanded longer.
fat

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #261 on: October 31, 2008, 04:54:19 PM »
that's a very valid complaint.  i also don't like having to map everything through the pip boy.  i'd rather hit I to bring up inventory rather than hit tab then cycle through to inventory, then cycle through to aid or weapon or whatever
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #262 on: October 31, 2008, 05:04:09 PM »
unless i am missing a way to remap certain instances

i keep hitting "M" or "P" for the map and then remembering what I have to do.

it's a small complaint, but seriously, the originals had separate keys
Tonya

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #263 on: October 31, 2008, 05:46:19 PM »

The lack of a map hotkey is a pain in the ass.  Also wish I could map weapons to the scroll wheel, since I don't play in 3rd person. 

also, if anyone's bored, the nma fallout 3 forum is pretty sad and will be sure to give you a boost to your self-esteem:
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

haters owned.  site owned too-- could've blown up in popularity with this game, which probably would lead to people trying out the older games.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 05:52:35 PM by Kranz Fafka »

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #264 on: October 31, 2008, 06:29:19 PM »
god, convergent devices are now taking over are gaming interfaces.  FUCK YOU BLACKBERRY
don't play stalker

total palm commercial

like Splinter Cell
Tonya

cool breeze

« Reply #265 on: October 31, 2008, 06:34:31 PM »
Anyone know where three dogs place is? I want to go and do the parts I missed since I accidentally skipped ahead.  I've been looking all over the place for it, but I haven't found it anywhere.  Somehow I got roped into some side quest about stealing the declaration of independence while fighting off robots and super mutants.  At least I got cool shit from that mission.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #266 on: October 31, 2008, 06:36:22 PM »
you go through the subway and you come out and find some brotherhood people (a little too soon for my tastes, jesus, it's like this game wants to give all this fan service upfront) then you will follow them on a mission. 
Tonya

cool breeze

« Reply #267 on: October 31, 2008, 06:38:21 PM »
which subway? there are 50 million subways in this game.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #268 on: October 31, 2008, 06:41:45 PM »
Just follow the arrow...
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #269 on: October 31, 2008, 06:44:07 PM »
there is no arrow

the problem is that I went exploring and accidentally skipped ahead a few missions, so it's not letting me go back to when I needed to find three dog. 

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #270 on: October 31, 2008, 06:45:15 PM »
Oh well I dunno what to tell you, you fucked up
fat

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #271 on: October 31, 2008, 06:51:26 PM »
which subway? there are 50 million subways in this game.

tennely town, i think,

i'll double check

i'm on that quest now

is there not a journal or anything for quest tracking?
Tonya

TVC15

« Reply #272 on: October 31, 2008, 06:52:53 PM »
There's a quest pane in the pipboy or whatever and you can set things as the active quest, and it will mark the goal on your map.
serge

cool breeze

« Reply #273 on: October 31, 2008, 07:07:47 PM »
I'll check out Tennely then, thanks.

And no, there is no quest marker at all.  The last task I have before the one I skipped to is to pay that guy in the saloon 100 caps, but it won't let me complete it anymore.  Nothing in between is shown either.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #274 on: October 31, 2008, 07:19:16 PM »

also, if anyone's bored, the nma fallout 3 forum is pretty sad and will be sure to give you a boost to your self-esteem:

haters owned.  site owned too-- could've blown up in popularity with this game, which probably would lead to people trying out the older games.

Yeah, NMA is really pathetic. All they've done since Bethesda announced F3 is moan and complain. Now that it's come out and got great reviews and tons of positive impressions from gamers, they still persist is pulling out tired arguments as if it still somehow means anything.

But enough of that, I found a really cool little locale yesterday. I was looking around up in a rocky part of the world and I came across a sewer entrance stuck into the side of the hill, just out by itself and not on the map. I went inside and after some poking around I found this hidden room with a couple corpses sitting around some radio equipment. Turns out they were Chinese spies.  :lol
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #275 on: October 31, 2008, 08:21:39 PM »
There's an XP glitch already, for those who hate grinding

You can gain infinite XP if your speech skill is high enough.(My speech was about 30 at the time). Go to town called "Big Town" located north of Vault 101.If you spoke with a girl named Bittercup she should tell you about her dating exploits. After speaking with her, go into the house marked "Common House" and speak to a man named Pappy. There should be a speech skill dialogue option that says "You came here with Bittercup, right?" You will get XP every time you click it. (I got 6XP with each click). Continue to do this and you can rack up XP in mere seconds. Bethesda has not yet patched this glitch.

Gonna make quick Bad / Neutral characters to boost to Level 20 with :arr
fat

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #276 on: October 31, 2008, 08:59:29 PM »

Yeah, NMA is really pathetic. All they've done since Bethesda announced F3 is moan and complain. Now that it's come out and got great reviews and tons of positive impressions from gamers, they still persist is pulling out tired arguments as if it still somehow means anything.

But enough of that, I found a really cool little locale yesterday. I was looking around up in a rocky part of the world and I came across a sewer entrance stuck into the side of the hill, just out by itself and not on the map. I went inside and after some poking around I found this hidden room with a couple corpses sitting around some radio equipment. Turns out they were Chinese spies.  :lol

The little things you find in this game are awesome...like the baby carriage trap in the Family's subway hideout or a super mutant randomly hanging out in the back of truck, ready to blow your face off with an RPG. :lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #277 on: October 31, 2008, 09:10:20 PM »

The little things you find in this game are awesome...like the baby carriage trap in the Family's subway hideout or a super mutant randomly hanging out in the back of truck, ready to blow your face off with an RPG. :lol

"Sweet, a truck with a bunch of boxes around it! I'll just run over there and graAAAGGGHOOOHHHHMMMMYYYYGGGOOODDDD!!!"
dog

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #278 on: October 31, 2008, 10:46:22 PM »
Yeah I'm going out tomorrow and getting the guide.  I got the Oblivion guide right off the bat thinking that it'd be like Morrowind but that turned out to be complete joke 'cause the game basically took you by the hand and pointed you to wherever you needed to go.  There was no need for any guide in Oblivion but in Fallout I feel completely lost.  The mapping is totally inadequate imo and it doesn't help matters that much of the scenery looks pretty much the same. 

Hmm...maybe I should go and pick it up tonight. The Blockbuster down the road is selling it....
Tacos

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #279 on: October 31, 2008, 10:59:16 PM »
And....guide bought. :p
Tacos

TVC15

« Reply #280 on: October 31, 2008, 11:10:45 PM »
I just got the special edition guide.  I fagged out for the game.
serge

MrAngryFace

« Reply #281 on: October 31, 2008, 11:29:34 PM »
There's an XP glitch already, for those who hate grinding

You can gain infinite XP if your speech skill is high enough.(My speech was about 30 at the time). Go to town called "Big Town" located north of Vault 101.If you spoke with a girl named Bittercup she should tell you about her dating exploits. After speaking with her, go into the house marked "Common House" and speak to a man named Pappy. There should be a speech skill dialogue option that says "You came here with Bittercup, right?" You will get XP every time you click it. (I got 6XP with each click). Continue to do this and you can rack up XP in mere seconds. Bethesda has not yet patched this glitch.

Gonna make quick Bad / Neutral characters to boost to Level 20 with :arr

haha thats awesome
o_0

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #282 on: November 01, 2008, 01:49:02 AM »
I just tore through Paradise Falls so fast that before those slavers even knew what was going on their brains were splattered all over the pavement. First, I softened them up with a few well places missiles. Then, I ran in close and decapped them with Chinese assault rifle. Eulogy Jones went down like a sucker, didn't even have the chance to draw his gun. Afterwards I stole his clothes and freed the slave children.
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #283 on: November 01, 2008, 01:55:25 AM »
secret chinese communist zombie spies working in a food processing factory

this game is awesome

btw, I killed them all

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #284 on: November 01, 2008, 02:49:14 AM »
I have a house now. I'm going to hang out in it with my robot butler and look at all my bobblehead dolls. Home just got owned. :piss2
©@©™

MrAngryFace

« Reply #285 on: November 01, 2008, 10:06:03 AM »
Ah, the random crashes and weird BSODs are starting to show up. Thats the Bethsda that makes me so nostalgic for Morrowind. I'll have to relearn my 'just after release of morrowind' playstyle.

Great game so far, just like Morrowind was. Bethesda games are such a bittersweet affair on the PC
o_0

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #286 on: November 01, 2008, 11:02:07 AM »
I had the game freeze up completely on the way into Arefu, but that's the only glitch/crash I've had so far.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #287 on: November 01, 2008, 11:50:43 AM »
I've had a couple of game-breaking glitches and a freeze or two, but that's with nearly 20 hours of play time, so I'm not overly bothered.
dog

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #288 on: November 01, 2008, 12:03:29 PM »
So I need some advice.  I was a big fan of Morrowind back in the day, played the shit out of it.  But when Oblivion came out I never really had the time or drive to play the game, and the parts I DID play just didn't get me very interested.  Would I like Fallout 3?  I have a shitload of EB credit to burn and this looks decent enough for it to go towards, but I don't know how much I'll enjoy it.

I got Dead Space already, so that's already taken care of.
püp

MrAngryFace

« Reply #289 on: November 01, 2008, 12:29:43 PM »
im on 64 bit os, so that + ati drivers + all of the known fallout 3 freeze crash issues = recipie for argh
o_0

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #290 on: November 01, 2008, 01:29:12 PM »
I had it crash several times when I was loading a game, and I read online that some of the crashes were somehow related to ffdshow, so I reinstalled ffdshow and *cross my fingers* haven't had it crash again since then.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #291 on: November 01, 2008, 01:41:27 PM »
So I need some advice.  I was a big fan of Morrowind back in the day, played the shit out of it.  But when Oblivion came out I never really had the time or drive to play the game, and the parts I DID play just didn't get me very interested.  Would I like Fallout 3?  I have a shitload of EB credit to burn and this looks decent enough for it to go towards, but I don't know how much I'll enjoy it.

I got Dead Space already, so that's already taken care of.

Fallout 3 has more in common with Morrowind than it does Oblivion, I think. Either way, the RPG elements has been bumped way up since Oblivion and the writing is probably their best yet.
dog

MrAngryFace

« Reply #292 on: November 01, 2008, 02:11:35 PM »
Fallout 3 > Morrowind > Oblivion imo
o_0

cool breeze

« Reply #293 on: November 01, 2008, 02:20:23 PM »
That's a bold claim.  At this point i'd say its way better than Oblivion, but not so sure about Morrowind.  The combat is easily the best Bethesda has ever done.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #294 on: November 01, 2008, 02:23:31 PM »
Morrowind was a lot of fun, but nostalgia colors most of the experience
o_0

cool breeze

« Reply #295 on: November 01, 2008, 02:35:13 PM »
I can accept that it could be a factor, it's just that I felt that Morrowind felt like the most diverse world with the most memorable locations and all that.  Fallout 3 fairs better than Oblivion in this aspect, but there are a lot of areas that just look the same, especially the subways.  This isn't really it's fault considering it's trying to go by that theme and all, and I haven't explored the entire world yet, it's just based on what I've seen so far.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #296 on: November 01, 2008, 02:56:28 PM »
Morrowind couldnt take a nuke! *fist pump* yeah!
o_0

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #297 on: November 01, 2008, 03:58:55 PM »
Are the achievements in this game easy? I'm in stiff competition with a friend of mine, he's getting this and I'm not.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #298 on: November 01, 2008, 04:00:35 PM »
A huge chunk of them are based around basic game progress and some side quests.
o_0

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #299 on: November 01, 2008, 04:01:57 PM »
Are the achievements in this game easy? I'm in stiff competition with a friend of mine, he's getting this and I'm not.

They're all the quests. You can boost the experience ones by using the EXP glitch.
fat