Author Topic: One Piece Thread: The best comic you haven't read  (Read 426518 times)

Himu

Re: One Piece Thread: The best comic you haven't read
« Reply #3060 on: August 25, 2018, 05:10:47 PM »
okay that's fine. none of your points make any sense though and they also came out of nowhere. Like you made a random post about how people don't like one piece now because of characters? Well, okay. Like, who thinks that, first off? So you're referring to people none of us know who you're even talking about to begin with.

Just kinda weird to say character's development is done too.  Here Luffy is last arc sacrificing himself so the rest of the crew can get away, showing how much he's grown since Sabaody, acting like a real captain. It's just such a baffling post to read. Sorry. "The big dramatic moments have already happened". What.

I'll just file it in the Ruzbeh's weird posts category in my head I guess.
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3061 on: August 25, 2018, 05:17:33 PM »
Dressrosa was great. 

Himu

« Reply #3062 on: August 25, 2018, 05:19:08 PM »
Dressrosa was great in bulk. Week to week made me want to kill myself. It was the first time since I've been reading that I had to take a break from reading One Piece deliberately, because the content I was reading was so blah. Near the end of the arc I decided to catch up and read it in bulk and it was much better for it.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3063 on: August 25, 2018, 05:26:31 PM »
Jesus fucking christ you're exhausting cindi. I was reading some thread on REEEEEEE era where people were saying things like that. Do you think you I just imagine people in my head or what?

And yes Dressrosa was great. Many epic moments that I still remember. Calling that 'the worst arc since pre-Arlong' is vastly more insane than anything I said.

So you read a thread on REeeee, assume we've read it, and just make a random post in the thread about stuff we don't know what you're talking about without mentioning the thread on Reeee much less linking it?

And nah, Dressrosa dragged. I have no problems calling it and Fishman Island lower quality arcs even if I liked them.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3064 on: September 11, 2018, 06:41:14 PM »
Caught up on the last few chapters. Pretty fun. Next chapter should be good!

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #3065 on: September 20, 2018, 02:58:24 AM »
centaur girl for next nakama

Bebpo

« Reply #3066 on: October 10, 2018, 12:05:06 AM »
Caught up on OP last few chapters. Good stuff. And yeah Law is cool as always.

the ways zoro gets lost  :lol

Himu

« Reply #3067 on: October 19, 2018, 04:15:24 PM »
OH
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3068 on: October 19, 2018, 04:15:32 PM »
MY
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3069 on: October 19, 2018, 04:16:28 PM »
GOD

IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3070 on: October 19, 2018, 08:04:18 PM »
End of chapter was kinda neat

paprikastaude

« Reply #3071 on: November 02, 2018, 10:11:56 AM »
:obama

paprikastaude

« Reply #3072 on: November 02, 2018, 05:53:19 PM »
some guy who got crippled by a fish :nope

Bebpo

« Reply #3074 on: November 25, 2018, 06:38:54 PM »
So I caught up on the last 4 chapters from

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Kaidou fight to Pt.1 end -> Intermission -> Pt.2 start
[close]

And that was all pretty darn awesome. This is good stuff.

Ok, so the main thing I'm wondering is at the end of the day this is a shounen manga. For Luffy to become the Pirate King he eventually needs to be stronger than everyone. We saw that as he grew in strength and beat the Shichibukai, but now that he's in the New World he got smacked down by Big Mom and at best only tied against her 2nd in command and

Against Kaidou he couldn't do much damage and got 1-hit KO'd
[close]

Now in the shorter amount of time left in the arc/series, I wonder how the hell Luffy is going to power up that dramatically from here. I mean he already has all the various armaments and 4th form was still pretty recent. Another form doesn't feel like it'd give him the power boost he needs to be competitive on the Yonkou scene. Will be interesting what happens in this arc because you've got to assume that he will beat Kaidou in the end and this will be the arc that gets him to Yonkou tier in power-level. If he runs again after Big Mom arc that'd be weird.

Bebpo

« Reply #3075 on: November 25, 2018, 06:42:27 PM »
Also I wanna say it'll be cool to

Turn the Captain Kidd character into a more developed major character hopefully. I feel like a lot of the worst generation haven't done much besides cameo since the time skip.
And I'm always glad to see more Blackbeard. It's been great watching his character grow from the start. Worthy antagonist rival for endgame. The sword dude now with invisibility is pretty crazy. Gonna be a tough fight for Zoro. Probably his final boss unless it's Mihawk rematch??
Also any theories on who the fish spitter is?

And one thing that sorta bugged me in the last four chapters is what the fuck happened with the Law v tarot card guy fight? He hits Law with a seastone nail which neutralizes Law's powers and then is about to strike on Law and then it cuts away to Kaidou/Luffy and when it cuts back Law has escaped and is on a hill. That was kinda weird, like I would have liked to see how Law made it out. Maybe they ran out of pages.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #3076 on: November 25, 2018, 08:18:22 PM »
So I caught up on the last 4 chapters from

Kaidou fight to Pt.1 end -> Intermission -> Pt.2 start
[close]

And that was all pretty darn awesome. This is good stuff.

Ok, so the main thing I'm wondering is at the end of the day this is a shounen manga. For Luffy to become the Pirate King he eventually needs to be stronger than everyone. We saw that as he grew in strength and beat the Shichibukai, but now that he's in the New World he got smacked down by Big Mom and at best only tied against her 2nd in command and

Against Kaidou he couldn't do much damage and got 1-hit KO'd
[close]

Now in the shorter amount of time left in the arc/series, I wonder how the hell Luffy is going to power up that dramatically from here. I mean he already has all the various armaments and 4th form was still pretty recent. Another form doesn't feel like it'd give him the power boost he needs to be competitive on the Yonkou scene. Will be interesting what happens in this arc because you've got to assume that he will beat Kaidou in the end and this will be the arc that gets him to Yonkou tier in power-level. If he runs again after Big Mom arc that'd be weird.

Awakening most likely. Also remember he lost to Croc three times in the same arc. It didn't come easy. First time they "fought" he got one shotted and had his blood sucked out. Luffy lost against Lucci once in Water 7 before their rematch at Enies Lobby. Luffy barely survived Impel Down. Luffy got his ass dragged by Mochi boy almost their entire fight and he won in the end. Also, I highly doubt Luffy and co. will get One Piece as is. I fully expect there to be another time skip before they set foot on Raftel. Also, more than likely Luffy doesn't even take on Kaido himself. It'll be a multi-man job. I'm betting Law, Kidd, AND Luffy take him on. Maybe even Hawkings too.

Also, I'm expecting Luffy's fleet to come and save the day.

I don't think the Worst Generation have gotten cameos at all. Oda has slowly built them up over time. We didn't know shit about Bege until Whole Cake. We've learned Law's backstory. Wano has Law, Kidd, Hawkings, Apoo, and likely Killer as well. Including Luffy and Zoro that's over half of the Worst Generation in one location. Guarantee we learn about Kidd this arc. Also, Reverie had Jewelry Bonney. Oda seems to be applying a slow burn to the Worst Generation but they in no way seem to be afterthoughts. The Worst Generation characters we've run into so far such as Bege and Law have both played major roles for instance.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 08:23:16 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3077 on: November 25, 2018, 09:07:16 PM »
Yeah, Law’s always been developed and Bege got big development last arc. So hopefully the ones in this arc get the same treatment.

Himu

« Reply #3078 on: November 26, 2018, 10:49:44 AM »
wasn't whitebeard only the strongest because roger was dead? it doesn't say whitebeard was the strongest in the world when roger was alive. Whitebeard just didn't care for the title of pirate king.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3079 on: November 26, 2018, 10:59:14 AM »
Hm, true
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3080 on: November 26, 2018, 12:36:29 PM »
Well strongest aside, it would be odd for Luffy to win the game but never be able to beat a Yonkou 1 on 1. So he’s gotta have a major power up at some point to get there because clearly he’s nowhere near there yet.

Bebpo

« Reply #3081 on: December 01, 2018, 01:25:16 PM »
New chapter out:

"My maturity and well-developed figure is a weapon, you see"  :lol

OP always makes me laugh.

Ok, hippo dude is funny too.

Himu

« Reply #3082 on: December 01, 2018, 05:32:53 PM »
Leave it to Oda to make a murderer of innocents endearing :rejoice Kidd :rejoice
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3083 on: January 11, 2019, 12:57:43 PM »
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-01-10/one-piece-creator-the-end-is-near-but-series-will-be-just-over-100-volumes/.141858

Picked this up on Era.

The main takeaway imo is that Oda says the series will end at just over 100 volumes which apparently with the chapter count means One Piece is DONE in 2-4 years max. Given that these arcs take 2 years at this point, that means the next arc is either the final arc or the 2nd to last arc. If there's 2 arcs left I'd guess it's an Impel Down setup -> final arc kinda thing.

I've pretty much been saying we endgame now, especially with Yonkous. If this arc wraps up Kaido/Big Mom all that is left is Blackbeard (because Shanks will probably be intertwined as an ally in that) and the World Government/Revolutionary Army, but there could easily be a big arc about finding one piece involving vs. Blackbeard vs. Government w/Shanks & Dragon all in one arc.

Anyhow while I respect your dreams, the whole idea that OP will go on and on after they find One Piece is not happening in this manga. Maybe Oda will do a sequel manga down the line with that, but given the time table it's pretty clear imo that it's the race to One Piece vs. Blackbeard and when that's over the manga is done. Which is great. Doesn't need to overstay it's welcome.

Himu

« Reply #3084 on: January 11, 2019, 01:05:16 PM »
It's been obvious for a while now that it's been setting up end game. Those who are blind haven't been able to see it.

And yeah, this cuts out the theory of another war after the crew finds One Piece. Maybe the arc where they find One Piece isn't that long? They've been teasing of a war one they find One Piece for the longest and I don't believe Oda would let it happen off screen.

Minimum estimates. Let's be conservative with numers here. He says a little over 100 volumes, but Wano could easily enter 100 chapters. We are at volume 90. That's 100 chapters, which is 10 volumes. Wano will likely end around volume 99 or 100. This leaves it to Elbaf and the final island Raftel, which should be 50-100 chapters. That's 109-110 volumes. If he does the war after finding piece that's an additional 100 chapters. 120 volumes. That does speak of what he said,"just a little after 100". There's no way the story ends with under 110 chapters given the plot.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 01:14:54 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3085 on: January 11, 2019, 01:18:44 PM »
Plot entanglements we have left to resolve:

-Mariejois and the man that sits on the throne
- Fishman island needs to be destroyed
- Usopp needs to go to Elbaf
- Luffy needs to meet Shanks
- Sanji needs to find All Blue
- Nami needs to make her World Map
- Chopper has to cure an incurable disease
- the crew has to find One Piece
- Luffy has to destroy the old world
- We still need find Vegapunk
- We need to learn about the origin of D and the void century
- We need to learn about devil fruits and where they come from

There's no way this ends under 110-115 volumes much less 100 chapters. Oda is trolling.
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3086 on: January 11, 2019, 01:25:49 PM »
Op will go on another decade, Cindy is right

Himu

« Reply #3087 on: January 11, 2019, 01:28:09 PM »
I read on reddit someone suggested the idea that only Luffy, Zoro, and Franky achieve their dreams and it really pissed me off. I haven't been reading this for so long to get gipped like that!
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3088 on: February 05, 2019, 12:41:35 PM »
Caught up on the last month of chapters. Alright stuff, but this week's was cool.

Sanji upgrade yessss

The only thing I didn't like is the bs of one captain of Kaido sinking and almost killing Big Mom's entire ship and crew. Come on, if it was that easy to take out a Yonkou they'd all be dead already. And now going with the Amnesia subplot because of it, idk how I feel about this part of the arc.

Otherwise rest is great as always. I like the bit about how Traffy is a terrible realistic captain vs Luffy haha
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #3089 on: February 05, 2019, 05:43:50 PM »
Sanji :gladbron

I like how it actually makes sense instead of like new move outta nowhere.

Himu

« Reply #3090 on: February 05, 2019, 05:52:15 PM »
:gladbron indeed
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3091 on: April 05, 2019, 11:03:33 PM »
Catching up on chapters. Not caught up yet, but..

I love how FF5's getting all these nods lately

:rock

Bebpo

« Reply #3092 on: April 23, 2019, 06:16:39 PM »
Caught up on One Piece chapters.

So good!

Really enjoying all the characters and directions of this arc.

Caribou for crew lol?

It's been so long I don't even remember who Caribou was. Gonna google it.
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #3094 on: April 25, 2019, 02:05:10 AM »
Good chapter even if it's mostly setup. End reminds me of the part where Luffy was almost executed.

Plus I'm convinced that any pages in One Piece with Zoro in them are always good. It'd be a challenge to find bad zoro pages. His personality is just the best.

Himu

« Reply #3095 on: April 25, 2019, 03:08:22 AM »
a dude being crucified the week after easter lmao
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3096 on: April 25, 2019, 03:09:39 AM »
also
did zoro get laid hahahaha
[close]
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3097 on: April 25, 2019, 01:22:12 PM »
a dude being crucified the week after easter lmao

:lol

Didn't even think of that.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3098 on: July 05, 2019, 04:25:20 PM »
Man this has been a great few chapters. 

Beezy

« Reply #3099 on: July 05, 2019, 07:40:44 PM »
Has the anime gotten any better? Because I really wanna see this arc animated. I haven't watched it since Blackbeard captured Ace.

Himu

« Reply #3100 on: July 05, 2019, 08:42:20 PM »
Has the anime gotten any better?

:lol no!
IYKYK

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #3101 on: July 05, 2019, 08:46:43 PM »
I would kill for a good One Piece anime

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3102 on: July 05, 2019, 10:51:30 PM »
I hope that after one piece finishes they do an anime remake.  I assume it will be popular enough for that. 

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #3103 on: July 05, 2019, 11:14:42 PM »
was dragon ball kai much of an improvement?

Himu

« Reply #3104 on: July 05, 2019, 11:20:49 PM »
was dragon ball kai much of an improvement?

Fuck yes it was. DBZ fanboys will argue it wasn’t because no filler like driving school ep and stuff but they’re wrong. Kai improves upon the original immensely.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3105 on: July 06, 2019, 12:13:40 AM »
Caught up on chapters. Good stuff.

Though I'm not sure how I feel about Luffy wasting his chance to go toe to toe with Big Mom. I guess for narrative purposes they're saving his big power up reveal for the Kaido fight.

Wonder if Big Mom is out of the arc now?
[close]

Himu

« Reply #3106 on: July 06, 2019, 03:33:06 PM »
Caught up on chapters. Good stuff.

Though I'm not sure how I feel about Luffy wasting his chance to go toe to toe with Big Mom. I guess for narrative purposes they're saving his big power up reveal for the Kaido fight.

Wonder if Big Mom is out of the arc now?
[close]

Probably not. She'll likely continue her streak as the wild card.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3107 on: August 17, 2019, 12:31:50 PM »
it was okay. def a transition chapter :drool
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3108 on: September 08, 2019, 05:24:56 PM »
Caught up on chapters and a little confused?

Wasn't the last time we left Law he was in prison getting interrogated and now suddenly in this chapter he's in control with magic straw guy cut in half? Seems like either I missed the transition there or Oda just skipped it which is a bit much to skip.

Also kinda so-so on Kaido and Big Mom starting a fight a few chapters ago and then the next time we see them they're all made up. Oda is starting to skip a lot of stuff to keep the pace up with all these characters.
[close]

Guessing the big battle arc will start in about 3-4 more chapters. Should be pretty crazy stuff for a while once it kicks off.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #3109 on: September 08, 2019, 07:59:43 PM »

Wasn't the last time we left Law he was in prison getting interrogated and now suddenly in this chapter he's in control with magic straw guy cut in half? Seems like either I missed the transition there or Oda just skipped it which is a bit much to skip.

Also kinda so-so on Kaido and Big Mom starting a fight a few chapters ago and then the next time we see them they're all made up. Oda is starting to skip a lot of stuff to keep the pace up with all these characters.
[close]

Guessing the big battle arc will start in about 3-4 more chapters. Should be pretty crazy stuff for a while once it kicks off.

Law is freed by a shadowy figure who we only see as a silhouette but yeah that storyline went by way too fast
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3110 on: September 09, 2019, 10:58:39 AM »
Think he didn't like the fight skip - that's always the way, he skipped shanks vs white beard too.

Himu

« Reply #3111 on: September 09, 2019, 11:46:07 AM »
I like that big mom and kaido fight was skipped. We saw all we needed to see. Big  mom  onlybexists as a wild card.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #3112 on: September 09, 2019, 05:14:35 PM »
Yeah, they didn't need to do a full on Big Mom v Kaido fight, but it's a bit trollish to start something that big and then have the crew members react the next chapter (wanting to run away) and then just cut to it being over. Would've liked at least a brief fight bit.

[close]

Law is freed by a shadowy figure who we only see as a silhouette but yeah that storyline went by way too fast
[close]

Ok, thanks. Need to re-read the last few chapters because forgot that shadow bit.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #3113 on: September 09, 2019, 07:03:39 PM »
Yeah, they didn't need to do a full on Big Mom v Kaido fight, but it's a bit trollish to start something that big and then have the crew members react the next chapter (wanting to run away) and then just cut to it being over. Would've liked at least a brief fight bit.

[close]

[close]

Ok, thanks. Need to re-read the last few chapters because forgot that shadow bit.

Everything with Law's crew this arc has been one plot thread too many to me but that's post-timeskip One Piece for you

Bebpo

« Reply #3114 on: September 09, 2019, 07:41:40 PM »
Ya, there's a fuck lot of characters in this arc. Just keeping track of all the samurai related people is a lot.

I definitely like the bits that are more smaller focused like Luffy at the prison.

Himu

« Reply #3115 on: September 10, 2019, 12:07:40 AM »
I don’t see how it’s any different than Dressrosa and think Wano has managed to successfully introduce its large cast better than the former because of the way it dumped all the characters at once via the coliseum bit.

We’ve known Kin and crew for years, so that was easy set up. Then they threw in Kaido who we also have known about for years. Then Oda slowly introduced Kaido’s henchmen bit by bit. Then they be introduced us to the samurai one at a time. While there’s a lot of characters I feel that due to the way Oda has managed introducing them it’s not intimidating at all despite the large cast and it has flowed pretty naturally. Like look at the way Jack and then later Queen were introduced. Or the princess, originally as a concubine and then later as the princess. Or O-Kiku, first as someone looking after O-Tama and then as a former samurai for the emperor. Or Yasuo. First as a friendly man and later as the towns savior. Each character has slowly developed bit by bit that it hasn’t felt forced despite the cast.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 12:12:18 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3116 on: September 15, 2019, 10:01:19 AM »
Holy fucking shit. Zoro grabbing Enma was INCREDIBLE. Also the backstory of the swords, Wano, his village, is fucking baller.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3117 on: September 15, 2019, 10:01:32 AM »
WHO IS THE TRAITOR
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3118 on: September 19, 2019, 02:02:38 PM »
O wow!

curly