Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1830908 times)

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
Re: so, Obama is president
« Reply #300 on: January 24, 2009, 10:55:50 AM »
makes a rule and then waives it for someone the next day

obama lol

"I won"
He did win, as did his party. In a landslide. Republicans need to remember that. There is a mandate for the public for big government spending, Republicans in the senate seem to understand this (McConnel has all but said the GOP in the senate will support Obama's stimulus package without opposition) but the GOP in the house is still in some sort of denial about it.

y2kev

• *your name here* annihilated...
« Reply #301 on: January 24, 2009, 10:59:31 AM »
The House of Representatives is a collective piece of shit.
haw

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
« Reply #302 on: January 24, 2009, 11:01:38 AM »
He did win, as did his party. In a landslide. Republicans need to remember that. There is a mandate for the public for big government spending, Republicans in the senate seem to understand this (McConnel has all but said the GOP in the senate will support Obama's stimulus package without opposition) but the GOP in the house is still in some sort of denial about it.

Democrats also have a hard time accepting the idea that they won. Which they need to get over.
wtc

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #303 on: January 24, 2009, 11:02:51 AM »
accountability is unamerican

well, some might contend that ...
QED

y2kev

« Reply #304 on: January 24, 2009, 11:03:44 AM »

Democrats also have a hard time accepting the idea that they won. Which they need to get over.
Haha, agreed. But they did pay a lot of lip service to the notion of bipartisanship and cooperation, so I don't blame them for at least being cautious. But I fully expect Pelosi to steamroll the house GOP when she needs to, and if she doesn't, she's lol.
haw

Cheebs

« Reply #305 on: January 24, 2009, 11:04:39 AM »

Obama doesn't seem to have a hard time. He pretty much smacked the house republican leadership around on friday to remind him he was in charge and the public picked him and his ideas. Which is all that matters. Despite some odd statements from Reid/Pelosi they will both do what he wants and if Obama asserts himself as the person with the ideas the public wants, which he did forcefully on Friday that is all that is important.

Just be glad someone with the very very strong sense of confidence like Obama is president and a traditional Dem senator.

y2kev

« Reply #306 on: January 24, 2009, 11:17:36 AM »
The President has the power of persuasion. He has the bully pulpit and he'll use it.
haw

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #307 on: January 24, 2009, 11:18:05 AM »
There's no real reason to cheer Obama's torture and guantanomo bay orders.  Torture was something that the majority of the public and both of the candidates condemned so all of this was decided by both candidates months ago.  If he gets something done about the economy and somewhat fixes the reputation of American politics, then he'll have done a decent job.

It's way too soon to say that we have "competent leadership".

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #308 on: January 24, 2009, 11:19:05 AM »

Obama doesn't seem to have a hard time. He pretty much smacked the house republican leadership around on friday to remind him he was in charge and the public picked him and his ideas. Which is all that matters. Despite some odd statements from Reid/Pelosi they will both do what he wants and if Obama asserts himself as the person with the ideas the public wants, which he did forcefully on Friday that is all that is important.

Just be glad someone with the very very strong sense of confidence like Obama is president and a traditional Dem senator.

Link to this bitchslap?

Oh, is this it? http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/24/AR2009012400661.html

Did this occur before or after Boehner came out to the press and started talking about how people putting their tax rebates in the bank helps the economy?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 11:21:30 AM by AdmiralViscen »

siamesedreamer

« Reply #309 on: January 24, 2009, 11:24:10 AM »

Crushed

« Reply #310 on: January 24, 2009, 11:27:48 AM »
HOW DARE HE /hypocritical republican outrage
wtc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #311 on: January 24, 2009, 11:33:40 AM »
Moar antics from King Obama lol am i rite
PSP

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #312 on: January 24, 2009, 11:33:50 AM »
Should I care as an European?  :-\

Obama looks nicer than Bush. And that's the only difference to me...

I don't understand all the Obama hype.

Crushed

« Reply #313 on: January 24, 2009, 11:35:44 AM »

Obama isn't a fascist idiot boy-king who actively hates brown people and gays.
wtc

y2kev

« Reply #314 on: January 24, 2009, 11:38:18 AM »
John Boner is the biggest douche I've ever seen. Seriously, nice spray on tan.
haw

siamesedreamer

« Reply #315 on: January 24, 2009, 11:39:56 AM »
I don't care what he says. But, its pretty awesome he's so eager to put his name on such a gigantic pile of shit. Four million new jobs by the end of 2010? LMFAO...

OptimoPeach

« Reply #316 on: January 24, 2009, 12:02:21 PM »

:bow Libertarians :bow2
:bow Sherdog forums :bow2
hi5

Cheebs

« Reply #317 on: January 24, 2009, 12:10:48 PM »
First Youtube Address as President:

Guybrush Threepwood

• Upskirt Connoisseur
« Reply #318 on: January 24, 2009, 12:20:04 PM »
Libertarians are nutty but at least they are actually conservatives.

I don't know a single Republican who is truly a conservative (especially since all the Republicans I know think the government should ban abortion and gay marriage).
ಠ_ಠ

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #319 on: January 24, 2009, 12:20:10 PM »
YouTube :bow

Finally, someone who works at my level. Now I can watch Obama and funny South Park clips at the same time!
fat

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #320 on: January 24, 2009, 12:23:39 PM »

Competent leadership is damn near considered revolutionary in modern US politics.
🍆🍆

Cheebs

« Reply #321 on: January 24, 2009, 12:30:51 PM »

Competent leadership is damn near considered revolutionary in modern US politics.
Pretty much. Also I think a lot of European's are confused seeing how it's common for them to elect intellectual liberals as prime minister/president, it's fucking rare in America.

Beezy

« Reply #322 on: January 24, 2009, 12:35:06 PM »
 :lol @ the White House having a youtube page

Cheebs

« Reply #323 on: January 24, 2009, 12:36:48 PM »
It's a new era one where the president listens to rap music, sends text messages, and post youtube videos!

Beezy

« Reply #324 on: January 24, 2009, 12:56:22 PM »
It's a new era one where the president listens to rap music, sends text messages, and post youtube videos!
And watches shows like The Wire.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #325 on: January 24, 2009, 12:56:47 PM »
No man, that's fucking sexy.  It is just so so so awesome.

We never EVER got a speech/public address from Bush containing so much INFORMATION and legit POLICY structure in his entire run as President.  It was always "we're doing something...but don't worry, you'll know soon enough what we did hehhehhehheh!"
püp

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #326 on: January 24, 2009, 01:17:47 PM »
President Obama told the Republican lawmakers that "you can't just listen to Rush Limbaugh and get things done."
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2009/01/61847002/1

(Image removed from quote.)

"But I just want to say, folks, look I support Obama. I just don't support his policies. I support our president, like I have supported all presidents. I just don't support Obama's policies. I don't support the nationalization of the banks, which has happened. I don't support the nationalization of the auto companies. I don't support the nationalization of the mortgage business. I don't like Barney Frank and Chris Dodd running things. And I don't want that to continue.

I think Limbag is confused about who the nationalization of these things were done under.

©ZH

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #327 on: January 24, 2009, 01:52:51 PM »
makes a rule and then waives it for someone the next day

obama lol

"I won"

Seems like Obama doesn't take criticism well at all.

Greatness Gone

« Reply #328 on: January 24, 2009, 08:20:42 PM »

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
« Reply #329 on: January 24, 2009, 08:34:28 PM »
 :tbslol
zzz

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #330 on: January 24, 2009, 08:40:01 PM »
i'm sorry but "Your Weekly Address" is vaguely creepy

wow, I can't believe they left comments open :lol
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 09:33:51 PM by recursivelyenumerable »
QED

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #331 on: January 24, 2009, 10:24:06 PM »
Do you think it's intentional to get people to actually watch it?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #332 on: January 24, 2009, 10:31:07 PM »
I expect it to get hacked within the first 3 months
fat

Guybrush Threepwood

• Upskirt Connoisseur
« Reply #333 on: January 25, 2009, 10:48:42 AM »
wtf

ಠ_ಠ

Beezy

« Reply #334 on: January 25, 2009, 11:28:19 AM »
 :lol

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #335 on: January 26, 2009, 11:33:29 AM »
^^ :rofl 
:)

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #336 on: January 26, 2009, 12:07:09 PM »
First Youtube Address as President:

I like that he's giving us actual updates about what he's trying to do. 
:)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #337 on: January 26, 2009, 12:25:29 PM »
http://recovery.gov/

Such horrible code  :yuck
fat

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #338 on: January 26, 2009, 12:48:42 PM »

Cheebs

« Reply #339 on: January 26, 2009, 01:10:24 PM »

at least obama's whitehouse.gov is 1000000x better designed than the old whitehouse.gov site.

siamesedreamer

patrickula

« Reply #341 on: January 26, 2009, 05:43:45 PM »

I just looked  :-X

I like how you can see who made it in the head.

Cheebs

« Reply #342 on: January 26, 2009, 05:46:35 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/26/woodward-suggests-future_n_160832.html

Any guesses?
If there is a nanny issue in his administration it isn't Obama himself since the Obama's pride themselves on never having a nanny.

Rman

« Reply #343 on: January 26, 2009, 06:19:51 PM »
Woodward is such a hack now it's not even funny.

trh

« Reply #344 on: January 26, 2009, 06:26:18 PM »

Cheebs

« Reply #345 on: January 26, 2009, 06:34:21 PM »

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #346 on: January 26, 2009, 10:32:23 PM »
Obama said in his Arab interview that he believes it is possible for there to be a contiguous Palestinian state.

How is that possible? Is there an existing proposal that includes a provision like that?

He did admit that he had no timeframe for it, to be fair.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:34:54 PM by AdmiralViscen »

y2kev

« Reply #347 on: January 26, 2009, 10:50:21 PM »
Sunken causeway maybe?
haw

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #348 on: January 26, 2009, 10:54:31 PM »

Is GOP Still a National Party?

by  Patrick J. Buchanan

As President Barack Obama delivers his inaugural address to a nation filled with anticipation and hope, the vital signs of the loyal opposition appear worse than worrisome.

The new majority of 49 states and 60 percent of the nation Nixon cobbled together in 1972, that became the Reagan coalition of 49 states and 60 percent of the nation in 1984, is a faded memory. Demographically, philosophically and culturally, the party base has been shrinking since Bush I won his 40-state triumph over Michael Dukakis. Indeed, the Republican base is rapidly becoming a redoubt, a Fort Apache in Indian country.

In the National Journal, Ron Brownstein renders a grim prognosis of the party's chances of recapturing the White House. Consider:

In the five successive presidential elections, beginning with Clinton's victory in 1992 and ending with Obama's in 2008, 18 states and the District of Columbia, with 248 electoral votes among them, voted for the Democratic ticket all five times. John McCain did not come within 10 points of Obama in any of the 18, and he lost D.C. 92-8.

The 18 cover all of New England, save New Hampshire; New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maryland; four of the major states in the Midwest -- Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota; and the Pacific Coast states of California, Oregon, Washington and Hawaii.

Three other states -- Iowa, New Hampshire and New Mexico -- have gone Democratic in four of the past five presidential contests. And Virginia and Colorado have ceased to be reliably red.

Not only are the 18 hostile terrain for any GOP presidential ticket, Republicans hold only three of their 36 Senate seats and fewer than 1 in 3 of their House seats. "Democrats also control two-thirds of these 18 governorships, every state House chamber, and all but two of the state Senates," writes Brownstein.

In many of the 18, the GOP has ceased to be competitive. In the New England states, for example, there is not a single Republican congressman. In New York, there are only three.

"State by state, election by election," says Brownstein, "Democrats since 1992 have constructed the party's largest and most durable Electoral College base in more than half a century. Call it the blue wall."

While that Democratic base is not yet as decisive as the Nixon-Reagan base in the South, and the Plains and Mountain States, it is becoming so solidified it may block any Republican from regaining the White House, in the absence of a catastrophically failed Democratic president.

What does the Republican base look like?

In the same five presidential contests, from 1992 to 2008, Republicans won 13 states all five times. But the red 13 have but 93 electoral votes, fewer than a third of the number in "the blue wall."

What has been happening to the GOP? Three fatal contractions.

Demographically, the GOP is a party of white Americans, who in 1972 were perhaps 90 percent of the national vote. Nixon and Reagan rolled up almost two-thirds of that vote in 1972 and 1984. But because of abortion and aging, the white vote is shrinking as a share of the national vote and the population.

The minorities that are growing most rapidly, Hispanics and Asians, cast 60 to 70 percent of their presidential votes for the Democratic Party. Black Americans vote 9-1 for national Democrats. In 2008, they went 30-1.

Put succinctly, the red pool of voters is aging, shrinking and dying, while the blue pool, fed by high immigration and a high birth rate among immigrants, is steadily expanding.

Philosophically, too, the country is turning away from the GOP creed of small government and low taxes. Why?

Nearly 90 percent of immigrants, legal and illegal, are Third World poor or working-class and believe in and rely on government for help with health and housing, education and welfare. Second, tax cuts have dropped nearly 40 percent of wage earners from the tax rolls.

If one pays no federal income tax but reaps a cornucopia of benefits, it makes no sense to vote for the party of less government.

The GOP is overrepresented among the taxpaying class, while the Democratic Party is overrepresented among tax consumers. And the latter are growing at a faster rate than the former.

Lastly, Democrats are capturing a rising share of the young and college-educated, who are emerging from schools and colleges where the values of the counterculture on issues from abortion to same-sex marriage to affirmative action have become the new orthodoxy.

The Republican "lock" on the presidency, crafted by Nixon, and patented by Reagan, has been picked. The only lingering question is whether an era of inexorable Republican decline has set in.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #349 on: January 26, 2009, 10:57:14 PM »

I just looked  :-X

I like how you can see who made it in the head.

LOL they closed an h3 tag with an h5... that's too funny... to me
fat

Cheebs

« Reply #350 on: January 26, 2009, 10:58:51 PM »
I wouldn't get ahead of ourselves. Could this be the Democrats Reagan revolution? Sure, and it most likely is. But It was only 8 years after the big 49/50 sweep of 1984 that Democrats retook the White House.

y2kev

« Reply #351 on: January 26, 2009, 10:59:26 PM »
"fort apache in indian country" lmao pat
haw

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #352 on: January 26, 2009, 11:04:53 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol :lol at that picture

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #353 on: January 26, 2009, 11:05:38 PM »
I wouldn't get ahead of ourselves. Could this be the Democrats Reagan revolution? Sure, and it most likely is. But It was only 8 years after the big 49/50 sweep of 1984 that Democrats retook the White House.

The economy is in shambles. We're in two wars. It's more than possible for everything to blow up in Obama's face by 2012, especially if the stimulus doesn't pan out as hoped

Cheebs

« Reply #354 on: January 26, 2009, 11:08:04 PM »
It is far too soon to tell but Obama could join the ranks of teflon President's where no matter what happens the public still likes him. Like for example if Iran Contra happened to Bush Sr. and not Reagan? I wouldn't have been surprised if Bush Sr. would have ended up impeached, but Reagan was teflon so the public (for the most part) forgave and forgot. Obama may also have that inherent support as well Mr. Cooks.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #355 on: January 26, 2009, 11:30:29 PM »
The republicans aren't stupid. They knew that they fucked up too much and the 2nd half of the Bush administration was just enough time to cut and run off with as much as they could get and let the Democrats dig the country out. All being on the hope that the Dems will screw it up and the country will run back to the republicans begging for their forgiveness after 4 years of downsizing/reality check.

It's as if the GOP heads declared, "Fine middle class, have your king! And you shall live in the filth of your desires."  As they raped til inauguration day.

Edit:  :hans1
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 11:33:12 PM by Zero Hero »
©ZH

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #356 on: January 27, 2009, 12:14:35 AM »
It is far too soon to tell but Obama could join the ranks of teflon President's where no matter what happens the public still likes him. Like for example if Iran Contra happened to Bush Sr. and not Reagan? I wouldn't have been surprised if Bush Sr. would have ended up impeached, but Reagan was teflon so the public (for the most part) forgave and forgot. Obama may also have that inherent support as well Mr. Cooks.

Jesus, this is like Kidz Politikz Storytime.  Stop it.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #357 on: January 27, 2009, 12:15:39 AM »
TEAM OF RIVALZ
PSP

Crushed

wtc

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #359 on: January 27, 2009, 01:48:52 AM »
The republicans aren't stupid. They knew that they fucked up too much and the 2nd half of the Bush administration was just enough time to cut and run off with as much as they could get and let the Democrats dig the country out. All being on the hope that the Dems will screw it up and the country will run back to the republicans begging for their forgiveness after 4 years of downsizing/reality check.

It's as if the GOP heads declared, "Fine middle class, have your king! And you shall live in the filth of your desires."  As they raped til inauguration day.

Edit:  :hans1

One of the worst things for conservatives is that many of their bread and butter arguments aren't effective anymore, well at least not right now. The economic discussion ground has shifted from small government to big ass government, and people want more. Like here in Michigan where most people were clammering for the auto bailout; maybe they couldn't see the full picture concerning the "wall street bailout" but people realized that Ford going out of business=you or someone you know loses their job.

Once things get better the conservatives will be able to come out the woodwork and say hey, things are ok but government is too big. Right now it seems like non of the republican talking points are sticking with people.