Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1830848 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: so, Obama is president
« Reply #420 on: January 28, 2009, 12:28:41 AM »
I want to get that Obama action figure, and make it beat up the Bush figure wearing the flightsuit.
http://www.onlinedid.com/products/obama_action_figure/
http://talkingpresidents.com/products-af-bush-fs.shtml

siamesedreamer

« Reply #421 on: January 28, 2009, 11:51:20 AM »

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #422 on: January 28, 2009, 11:53:23 AM »
We've looked it over, and even we can't quite believe it. There's $1 billion for Amtrak, the federal railroad that hasn't turned a profit in 40 years; $2 billion for child-care subsidies; $50 million for that great engine of job creation, the National Endowment for the Arts; $400 million for global-warming research and another $2.4 billion for carbon-capture demonstration projects. There's even $650 million on top of the billions already doled out to pay for digital TV conversion coupons.

this is what you're outraged over?
Tonya

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #423 on: January 28, 2009, 12:08:06 PM »
We've looked it over, and even we can't quite believe it. There's $1 billion for Amtrak, the federal railroad that hasn't turned a profit in 40 years; $2 billion for child-care subsidies; $50 million for that great engine of job creation, the National Endowment for the Arts; $400 million for global-warming research and another $2.4 billion for carbon-capture demonstration projects. There's even $650 million on top of the billions already doled out to pay for digital TV conversion coupons.

That money could be much better spent on 12 billion dollar a month wars!
serge

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
« Reply #424 on: January 28, 2009, 12:08:18 PM »

Every single one of those things sound worthy of spending except perhaps tv conversion coupons.

It's obvious people opposed are people opposed to defect spending to begin with. These programs are for the benefit of the population. It's not like they are throwing money at the bridge to nowhere.

People opposed to spending massively to save the economy need to give something to replace it with to help stop the recession because OMG TAX CUTS aren't solutions to the problem.

At least Obama has put forward a potential solution and the money goes to worthy causes. Is it perfect? No, but at least he is doing something unlike the do-nothing Republicans who are having temper tantrums and whining constantly.

TVC15

« Reply #425 on: January 28, 2009, 12:10:21 PM »
This article is pretty ridiculous:

Most of the rest of this project spending will go to such things as renewable energy funding ($8 billion) or mass transit ($6 billion) that have a low or negative return on investment. Most urban transit systems are so badly managed that their fares cover less than half of their costs. However, the people who operate these systems belong to public-employee unions that are campaign contributors to . . . guess which party?

Yeah, there's NO LOGICAL REASON to invest in renewable energy.  And mass transit?  WHY NOT JUST PUT THE MONEY BACK IN DEMOCRATS' POCKETS? 
serge

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #426 on: January 28, 2009, 12:12:02 PM »
man was the WSJ always like this or have they just gone coco for coocoo puffs since murdoch happened?
Tonya

Cheebs

« Reply #427 on: January 28, 2009, 12:13:31 PM »
So he is opposed to creating jobs because these new workers might become democrats?  :lol It's better to be unemployed than have a job that tends to lead people democrat? Wonderful.

Wait, I thought republicans claim the unemployed vote democrat cause of OMG WELFARE CHECKS, isn't it a lose-lose for this guy then?

TVC15

« Reply #428 on: January 28, 2009, 12:14:43 PM »
More fun:

Another "stimulus" secret is that some $252 billion is for income-transfer payments -- that is, not investments that arguably help everyone, but cash or benefits to individuals for doing nothing at all. There's $81 billion for Medicaid, $36 billion for expanded unemployment benefits, $20 billion for food stamps, and $83 billion for the earned income credit for people who don't pay income tax. While some of that may be justified to help poorer Americans ride out the recession, they aren't job creators.

Because, you know, there certainly won't be an unemployment benefits rush this year.  And really, everyone knows that food stamp enrollment and medicaid serve no purpose in what looks to be a giant recession, right?  Right?

So the WSJ is pissed off that the bill is preparing for inevitable things?  Republicans would rather have unemployment flopza first and then have the government move incredibly slowly for a month to fix it, maybe?
serge

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #429 on: January 28, 2009, 12:20:09 PM »
man was the WSJ always like this or have they just gone coco for coocoo puffs since murdoch happened?
They've always had conservative columnists, but its only been lately they've had brazenly stupid conservative columnists.
Because, you know, there certainly won't be an unemployment benefits rush this year.  And really, everyone knows that food stamp enrollment and medicaid serve no purpose in what looks to be a giant recession, right?  Right?

So the WSJ is pissed off that the bill is preparing for inevitable things?  Republicans would rather have unemployment flopza first and then have the government move incredibly slowly for a month to fix it, maybe?
I'm convinced that there's a core Republican belief that its okay to let people starve to death as long as they're poor. 

Also starve may be substituted for...
-freeze from living in the street
-get blown up by IED's
-drown in natural disasters
-suffer mortal infections from back-alley-abortions
-get shot by automatic weapons
-get food poisoning from deregulated and poorly inspected food
-killed by Dick Cheney for sport
-die due to negligence on part of shitty health care system

there's more but I'm running late for class.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 12:28:14 PM by HyperZoneWasAwesome »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #430 on: January 28, 2009, 12:21:06 PM »
Yup, utterly indefensible...

ellipses...
püp

siamesedreamer

« Reply #431 on: January 28, 2009, 12:40:49 PM »
The strawmen are strong in this thread.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #432 on: January 28, 2009, 12:42:05 PM »
There's undeniably lots of wasteful shit in that bill, but I can't help but chuckle that conservatives are finally concerned about wasteful spending again

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #433 on: January 28, 2009, 12:43:19 PM »
There's undeniably lots of wasteful shit in that bill, but I can't help but chuckle that conservatives are finally concerned about wasteful spending again

ever since 2006 for some reason

Tonya

TVC15

« Reply #434 on: January 28, 2009, 12:46:06 PM »

Dude, I am sure there are plenty of bad things and garbage stuffed into this bill.  That article, however, didn't really mention anything convincingly damning (The Office of Management and Budget or the Government Accountability Office I don't know about, but the article calling them "ineffective" is hardly proof of anything since it's written with a pretty obvious Republican bias).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 12:49:23 PM by TVC 15 »
serge

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
« Reply #435 on: January 28, 2009, 12:47:43 PM »

pot
kettle
etc.
wtc

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #436 on: January 28, 2009, 01:06:18 PM »
It's not like they are throwing money at the bridge to nowhere.

No, there's 400 million going to global warming research. Pretty much the same thing.

Rman

« Reply #437 on: January 28, 2009, 01:10:53 PM »
The WSJ opinion page has always been like that.

siamesedreamer

« Reply #438 on: January 28, 2009, 01:37:05 PM »
The actual spending part:

2009: 29.0
2010: 115.8
2011: 105.5
2012: 53.6
2013: 26.5
2014: 13.0
2015: 6.9
2016: 3.0
2017: 1.6
2018: 0.9
2019: 0.4

Total: $356.0 billion

That comes out to ~.9% of GDP for the first two years.

Cheebs

« Reply #439 on: January 28, 2009, 01:45:39 PM »
The actual spending part:

2009: 29.0
2010: 115.8
2011: 105.5
2012: 53.6
2013: 26.5
2014: 13.0
2015: 6.9
2016: 3.0
2017: 1.6
2018: 0.9
2019: 0.4

Total: $356.0 billion

That comes out to ~.9% of GDP for the first two years.
I don't think you understand what the point of the stimulus bill is if you think all the other money other than that is wasted. lawblob worded if very well here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14550489&postcount=5910
Doesn't that depend on a definitional understanding of "stimulus?" Many economists are now saying we will have increasing unemployment until possibly 2011. In that sense, it is unrealistic to think that all Federal money directed at jump-starting the economy literally has to be spent on immediately realized projects. There are only so many people you can manufacture jobs for, and there is only so much good that tax cuts will do. If we are entering a massive, multi-year recession, some of the money will inevitably need to be put into projects that take years to return via increased economic output.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #440 on: January 28, 2009, 01:48:12 PM »

dude.  you cited a wsj editorial.
QED

« Reply #441 on: January 28, 2009, 01:58:35 PM »
They've always had conservative columnists, but its only been lately they've had brazenly stupid conservative columnists.
Because, you know, there certainly won't be an unemployment benefits rush this year.  And really, everyone knows that food stamp enrollment and medicaid serve no purpose in what looks to be a giant recession, right?  Right?

So the WSJ is pissed off that the bill is preparing for inevitable things?  Republicans would rather have unemployment flopza first and then have the government move incredibly slowly for a month to fix it, maybe?
I'm convinced that there's a core Republican belief that its okay to let people starve to death as long as they're poor. 

Well, it's their choice. They had all the same opportunities the rest of us had... wait a second...

The above comment is the favorite response of my conservative friends.
野球

siamesedreamer

« Reply #442 on: January 28, 2009, 02:20:34 PM »
Lawblob is merely regurgitating Krugman's argument from yesterday. While it does have some merit, it fails to address the near term. Watch Roubini's interview on the previous page. Six million jobs could be lost this year. There's been over 100k job cuts announced this week alone. If the whole point of the bill is to stimulate the economy as soon as possible, why is only 40% of the money spent in the first two years?

I don't think its going to help much at all no matter what they do. There's just too much momentum to stop it (much less stimulate). I am really just looking at it from a political point of view. Seems as if you and the others at ObamaGAF should be screaming bloody murder that its not doing more. The votes are there. Presumably the DEMs think it will work. Obama did say government is the only thing that can get us out of the mess. So, what's wrong with more of it? Why not double the spending? Surely doubling what works would only work twice as good. Put their money (or in this case our grandkids money) where their mouth is. That's all I'm saying.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #443 on: January 28, 2009, 02:22:58 PM »
I would bet my life savings that the Republicans I know give/do (you know .. donate time) more for poor people in one year than you guys have in your entire lifetimes.

But that's cool .. stick to your silly stereotypes.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #444 on: January 28, 2009, 02:32:23 PM »
President Obama will host a cocktail reception for Congressional leaders tonight at the White House, the New York Times reports.

"The bipartisan affair is set to come shortly after the House considers the president's economic stimulus bill. The roll call vote could make for some interesting conversation, particularly if the bulk of Republicans oppose the proposal as planned."
http://politicalwire.com/

huh?

TVC15

« Reply #445 on: January 28, 2009, 02:38:13 PM »
Also, I'll go on record as saying this thing's been too rushed and that I question the impact it will have.  The only reason to rush such a bill would be because it is needed immediately, and since the bill spends so many resources on the future, it probably didn't need to be rushed.  They could have split this up into two packages, which probably would have helped it seem more promising.  They could have spent a half year putting together a decent package for the next two years, and focused the brain power spent on this over the past two months on some sort of immediate stimulus. 

I just question such immediate action when it appears so scattershot.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #446 on: January 28, 2009, 02:46:09 PM »
Also, I'll go on record as saying this thing's been too rushed and that I question the impact it will have.  The only reason to rush such a bill would be because it is needed immediately, and since the bill spends so many resources on the future, it probably didn't need to be rushed.  They could have split this up into two packages, which probably would have helped it seem more promising.  They could have spent a half year putting together a decent package for the next two years, and focused the brain power spent on this over the past two months on some sort of immediate stimulus. 

I just question such immediate action when it appears so scattershot.

Don't worry.  This won't be the last stimulus bill that gets passed.

Well, this gets into something of a semantic issue I was thinking of earlier.  By labeling this as THE stimulus package, opposing pundits 3 months from now will be saying "We already had that stimulus package a few months back and now we need another?  LOL DEMOCRATS."

They really should have been more careful in labeling this.  Especially since there are multiple things in the package that can easily be pointed at and questioned about their value in economic stimulus.
serge

ToxicAdam

« Reply #447 on: January 28, 2009, 02:47:37 PM »
Also, I'll go on record as saying this thing's been too rushed and that I question the impact it will have.

I agree with this completely. It reminds me of the great rush that was put on the bank bailout money, where it turned out that a little bit more prudence and debate could have made for a better bill and better use of that money.

I think Obama is doing a good job, but this 2006 Democratic House of Reps is a disaster.

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #448 on: January 28, 2009, 03:04:31 PM »
Watch Roubini's interview on the previous page.

Roubini thinks we're fucked through 2009 no matter what happens.  I guess the purpose of the stimulus is more to try and ensure the recession doesn't last through 2010 and '11.

I don't quite understand the "the food is terrible and the portions are too small" Republican objections though.
QED

siamesedreamer

« Reply #449 on: January 28, 2009, 03:07:23 PM »
I'll second the notion that Obama is doing a good job. At least he is actually willing to listen to the other side.

Not sure if there will actually be a second "stimulus", but there's gonna be a ton more TARP-like bills. Keep in mind that there's ~$1.8 trillion in toxic assets remaining on bank balance sheets. The credit card companies are saying they expect to see write-offs peak at 13%. That equates to something like $1 trillion in losses. And there's the second wave of the subprime mortgages on the horizon (not sure if they figure into the previously mentioned toxic assets).

I'm sure I'm missing some more. But, add all that to the trillion dollar deficits they expect over the next several years, the increase in carrying costs, and the exponential increase in entitlement costs and you have to start questioning the solvency of the United States.

dammitmattt

« Reply #450 on: January 28, 2009, 03:14:08 PM »
Doing nothing is often preferable to doing something poorly.  There is zero doubt in my mind that Obama has good intentions, but this is just throwing good money after bad, just like the recent bailouts.  I just hate the idea of throwing hundreds of darts at a board, hoping something will stick while trying to distract the people from what's actually going on.

I'll second the notion that Obama is doing a good job. At least he is actually willing to listen to the other side.

Not sure if there will actually be a second "stimulus", but there's gonna be a ton more TARP-like bills. Keep in mind that there's ~$1.8 trillion in toxic assets remaining on bank balance sheets. The credit card companies are saying they expect to see write-offs peak at 13%. That equates to something like $1 trillion in losses. And there's the second wave of the subprime mortgages on the horizon (not sure if they figure into the previously mentioned toxic assets).

I'm sure I'm missing some more. But, add all that to the trillion dollar deficits they expect over the next several years, the increase in carrying costs, and the exponential increase in entitlement costs and you have to start questioning the solvency of the United States.

The crushing debt will one day be the end of our country and our government in its current state.  It probably won't happen in our lifetimes, but it HAS to happen one day unless we get that under control.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 03:16:23 PM by dammitmattt »

siamesedreamer

« Reply #451 on: January 28, 2009, 03:15:18 PM »
The house REPs are currently talking about their alternative plan saying it'll create 6.2 million jobs over the next two years.  :lol

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #452 on: January 28, 2009, 03:25:18 PM »

The WSJ has good business/economic reporting but their editorial page has always been insane.

Takes someone as dumb as sd to take them seriously, which is unfortunately a pretty big market.  I give him a week before he starts c/ping urls from renewamerica.

Cheebs

« Reply #453 on: January 28, 2009, 03:26:20 PM »

Takes someone as dumb as sd to take them seriously, which is unfortunately a pretty big market.  I give him a week before he starts c/ping urls from renewamerica.
And PD. He posted the article on gaf and talked about much it made him dislike the stimulus bill now lol

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #454 on: January 28, 2009, 03:27:31 PM »
Quote from: Cheebs
Hey dude can I get on your good side?

No.  You're still dumb.

Cheebs

« Reply #455 on: January 28, 2009, 03:31:06 PM »
 :lol I actually was pretty pissed PD posted that and started criticizing the bill cause he read that though. PD that article was a joke, don't buy what you read in it. ugh. I have my doubts it will save the economy but the bill needs to be passed none the less.

dammitmattt

« Reply #456 on: January 28, 2009, 03:35:39 PM »
:lol I actually was pretty pissed PD posted that and started criticizing the bill cause he read that though. PD that article was a joke, don't buy what you read in it. ugh. I have my doubts it will save the economy but the bill needs to be passed none the less.

Why does it "need" to be passed?

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #457 on: January 28, 2009, 03:35:45 PM »
Cheebs is at least smart enough to land a lucrative gig as a popular newspaper columnist, though his political columns seem to have been lost in a site reorg or something.
QED

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #458 on: January 28, 2009, 03:37:09 PM »

The WSJ has good business/economic reporting but their editorial page has always been insane.

i'm sorry i get all of my economic news from indymedia and prisonplanet
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #459 on: January 28, 2009, 03:43:40 PM »

I didn't post it for the opinion in it, moreso for the list of questionable inclusions in the bill. It's full of junk, yea. I'm just curious whether the actual stimulating portions are going to work. Long term it seems like a good idea to me. I don't know much about shit BUT I do know investing in infrastructure is going to save money and can create jobs. But I'm wondering about the more immediate relief stuff

ToxicAdam

« Reply #460 on: January 28, 2009, 03:50:22 PM »
To me, the three greatest problems we face are: 1) toxic debt 2) consumer fear/paralysis 3) frozen credit.

I haven't really seen any meat and potatos on this bill that would address these problems. All I have seen are these little pet projects that the Pub's are complaining about.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #461 on: January 28, 2009, 03:58:22 PM »
Unemployment isn't anywhere in there?  Rilly?

siamesedreamer

« Reply #462 on: January 28, 2009, 04:10:40 PM »
All I see is bitching about the source. Anyone has any counterpoints from the usual suspects then post them. Most of us here are all ears.

And what's Renew America?

Cheebs

« Reply #463 on: January 28, 2009, 06:16:40 PM »
The house officially passed the stimulus bill.

siamesedreamer

« Reply #464 on: January 28, 2009, 06:18:44 PM »
What was the vote? I can't find it on the news sites...

TVC15

« Reply #465 on: January 28, 2009, 06:20:13 PM »
Doesn't look like the final tally is out yet.  I have a feeling it will be. . .predictable.
serge

Cheebs

« Reply #466 on: January 28, 2009, 06:22:22 PM »
It is done. 244 to 188 or something. No republican backing I believe.

siamesedreamer

« Reply #467 on: January 28, 2009, 06:22:56 PM »
CSPAN is saying no REPs voted for it.  :)

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #468 on: January 28, 2009, 06:26:01 PM »
palin 2012 confirmed

Cheebs

« Reply #469 on: January 28, 2009, 06:31:50 PM »
I fucking hope the economy rebounds, even just a little by 2012 just so Republicans will look even more foolish than they did today.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #470 on: January 28, 2009, 06:35:55 PM »
HOPE CHANGE
fat

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #471 on: January 28, 2009, 06:37:35 PM »
I fucking hope the economy rebounds, even just a little by 2012 just so Republicans will look even more foolish than they did today.

I hope it rebounds a lot so that people can have jobs

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #472 on: January 28, 2009, 06:41:35 PM »
This reminds me of how all the repubs wanted WMD's.

Only now, there's no viable "rational" party left to fall back on.  I'm sure there'll be a lot of problems with this bill in whatever form it gets passed but Obama will get away from it clean.  The reason he's not on suicide watch after Nov.4 is that he knows how to spin a story.  Congress will probably lose a lot of democrats in 2012 though.

Cheebs

« Reply #473 on: January 28, 2009, 06:45:34 PM »
This reminds me of how all the repubs wanted WMD's.

Wanting for a country to have a stockpile of weapons is a bit different than wanting an economy to prosper and people to get jobs, even with political motivation for both.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #474 on: January 28, 2009, 06:45:38 PM »
Yeah, Cheebs, I'm a little disturbed at your positioning with this.  I'm beginning to think you approach these issues in a strictly political light.
püp

Cheebs

« Reply #475 on: January 28, 2009, 06:49:49 PM »
You act like I don't care about the economy itself. I want it for both reasons. I graduate college soon and am fucking scared about the job market I will be entering, of course I want the economy to do well for it's own sake and my own personal job getting reasons.  But I can't also want to see Republicans temper tantrum backfire?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #476 on: January 28, 2009, 06:50:43 PM »
Dude I thought you were joining an accounting firm, you have nothing to worry about. Plus your dad is opening doors for you? smh

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #477 on: January 28, 2009, 06:51:42 PM »
I'm not confident it's going to backfire lol

Just as important as the actual cash infusion is the idea that this stimulus package will inspire confidence among consumers in this country. I don't think it's such a great thing for the success of the package if this is perceived as rushed and one-sided.

Cheebs

« Reply #478 on: January 28, 2009, 06:53:43 PM »
Dude I thought you were joining an accounting firm, you have nothing to worry about. Plus your dad is opening doors for you? smh
My major is both IT and Accounting and I have quickly grown to hate accounting over the past year. My dad ain't opening doors. His company he is a CIO at is doing pretty shitty.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #479 on: January 28, 2009, 06:56:08 PM »
IT? Ah didn't know that. Accounting isn't kicking my ass but it's boring me to sleep; I feel like switching, but at the same time if I finish/get my degree I'll have a job out the gate. Then I can do what I want to do (mba, maybe law school)