Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 348978 times)

archnemesis

Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #1980 on: May 03, 2019, 03:26:32 AM »
WAR is a really weird format. I thought my current sealed pool with Ugin, Bontu, Enter the God-Eternals, and plenty of other solid cards would blow away most other decks. So far I'm up 4-0, but two of the games I won with either one or zero cards left in my deck. I hope draft mode is even more fun.   

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1981 on: May 06, 2019, 02:54:06 AM »
My LGS has a store champions league thing they do on a regular basis where you can qualify based on points earned or by winning a qualifying event in constructed or limited. Because I spiked a lot of FNM Ravnica Allegiance drafts this season (for whatever reason I was very proficient with Orzhov Aggro) I found myself in contention to qualify for this thing on points so against my better judgement I went back to my old grinder days and participated in the limited qualifying event which was War of the Spark sealed.

During deck registration I sorted all of my cards by color, quantity, and alphabetically so it would be easy for the person I was paired with during deck building to check that I had reported my pool correctly. They handed me a pile of cards. congratulations you just played yourself.gif

My round 1 opponent went deep in the tank during game 1 several times and won after ~30 minutes of excruciating play. In game 2 I actually drew one of my win conditions early (Ashiok, Dream Render) and proceeded to savage their deck. I later played a Sarkhan the Masterless, used his +1 loyalty ability to turn Ashiok, Dream Render into a dragon, swung in for a good chunk of damage, then stated that I'd be activating Ashiok, Dream Render's -1 loyalty ability in my second main. My opponent refuses to believe that my dragon can use loyalty abilities and we have to wait for a judge to explain that I can do something that's plainly stated in Gatherer (iirc). I win that game and we have maybe 8 or 9 minutes left in the round. In game 3 we both do a whole lot of nothing until my opponent finally draws into gas at the end of the round. We go to turns and apparently it was mildly entertaining for people to watch me go digging with Tamiyo's Epiphany twice. My opponent doesn't get over the hump by turn 5 but would have won if we hadn't gone to turns. My opponent then asks if I would be willing to concede which I wasn't. (Normally I would entertain such a request because I try not to be the person I used to be but I felt like my opponent angle shot a lot that game and / or thought they were Seth Manfield.)

I finally took a loss in round 3 to a fellow #TaxPro who I draft with regularly, then conceded to another person I draft with regularly so that they could make top 8. They qualified and I'm probably going to be their Modern player because the champions league thing is a Team Trios constructed event and the limited crew doesn't interact with the constructed crew outside of prereleases so they don't know any Modern or Type 1.5 players.

:pitbull

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1982 on: May 06, 2019, 07:24:23 PM »
Hey everybody, War of the Spark is legal now and I bet you can't wait to play with all those hot new planesw....oh.

Oh.

tbf, the winning deck did run the new Chandra, but the mainboards were otherwise identical to the Mono Red decks running wild after the launch of Ravnica Allegiance. Except now Red has anti-lifegain tech out of the sideboard (Good Tibalt) after it was cruelly denied by the banning of Rampaging Ferocidon.  :maf
©@©™

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1983 on: May 06, 2019, 07:30:44 PM »
Nü Tibalt being banned would probably be the funniest thing in the history of the game.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Let's recreate the relevant text of a banned card but slap it on a type of permanent that is artificially difficult to remove from play. :sabu
[close]

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1984 on: May 06, 2019, 08:40:52 PM »
Nü Tibalt being banned would probably be the funniest thing in the history of the game.

Let's recreate the relevant text of a banned card but slap it on a type of permanent that is artificially difficult to remove from play. :sabu
[close]

nah, this ain't it

nu tibalt doesn't put nearly as much pressure on the opponent as ferocidon

if it gets banned though, that would be hilarious.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 08:48:15 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1985 on: May 07, 2019, 02:14:38 AM »
Monored :snore

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #1986 on: May 07, 2019, 03:19:49 AM »
I can beat your story Kara:

So it's game day during Amonkhet and I am playing the New Perspectives/Shadow of the Graves/Second Sun combo deck. The guy I am playing against is super nice. Game 1 I combo out on turn 6 after New Perspectives resolves. I'm only running one copy of Second Sun because hate it in opening hand, and if opponent is playing counterspells, the deck won't win anyway. I'm not running Sphinx of the Final Word so resolving Second Sun twice is my only wincon. After like 20-25 cycles I cast Second Sun twice and win.

Game 2 I New Perspectives but fail to draw enough cycles to find a Shadow of the Graves and lose two turns later.

Before game 3 I start sideboarding out all the shit I don't need and I figure since the guy is smart when I play the second or third Shadow of the Graves he'll just concede. So I slip in two more cycle cards and side out the Second Sun. So now the deck is slightly more likely to combo off, but with no win con.

Turn 5 comes around and I lay down New Perspectives and I start to combo. Cycle about 8 times, Shadow of the graves, cycle 20 more times, Shadow of the graves. I can now draw my whole deck and generate enough mana to cast Second Sun twice. Dude has not conceded. He's tapped out so there's no counterspell, he's just hoping for a miracle. I realise I have to change strategy. There's about 10 cards left in the deck so I say "man, wouldn't it be crazy if Second Sun was at the very bottom". So I make a huge dramatic show of flipping over the cards one by one. I flip over the second last card and say "oh man I can't believe Second Sun was the very last card. What are the odds lol. Anyway good game man". I hold out my hand, we shake, and he records that I won 2-1.

Kara

« Reply #1987 on: May 07, 2019, 03:43:42 AM »
On MODO I once cast Splinter Twin targeting a Deceiver Exarch for my first targeted spell of the turn with a Kira, Great Glass-Spinner in play under my control. My opponent snap conceded before the trigger went on the stack. :lol

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #1988 on: May 07, 2019, 03:55:46 AM »
 :rejoice

Winning when you didn't win is truly the best feeling

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1989 on: May 07, 2019, 09:03:20 AM »
You gotta play to your outs, and sometimes your outs are a misplay by the opponent.  8)
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #1990 on: May 07, 2019, 12:13:20 PM »
Second Sun combo deck.

Mods, ban this filth.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1991 on: May 07, 2019, 01:59:24 PM »
Second Sun combo deck.

Mods, ban this filth.

Sorry, too busy trying to assemble T1 kills in Modern.
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #1992 on: May 07, 2019, 02:18:41 PM »
So I cast a Kasmina's Transmutation on my opponent's Ugin's Conjurant.

That was dumb :lol

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1993 on: May 07, 2019, 03:07:42 PM »
I'm sure your opponent appreciated the +1/+1. :lol
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1994 on: May 12, 2019, 10:08:11 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/bns17u/why_are_the_fetchlands_so_good_a_chart_every_part/

Just as the Native Americans used every part of the buffalo, so must we too learn to use every part of the fetchland.
©@©™

Kara

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1996 on: May 13, 2019, 01:30:15 PM »
Gerry stands with the proletariat.
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #1997 on: May 13, 2019, 03:21:53 PM »
Things had not changed and it didn’t seem like the MPL was happening in good faith.

Which ERA mod is he.

Kara

« Reply #1998 on: May 20, 2019, 12:47:39 AM »
lel, all the "THEY'RE GOING TO REPRINT FORCE OF WILL" peeps annihilated.

Buy a playset of this as soon as you can; going to be an absurdly expensive rare that's upshifted to mythic because Wizards of the Coast doesn't pay attention to the secondary market.
[close]

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1999 on: May 20, 2019, 08:50:52 AM »
I don't get it, what is different there from Force of Will? It's doing the same thing.

Colored Mana Cost?

Edit: 3(Island, Island) vs 1(Island, Island). No Pay 1 Life OR clause, you exile a blue as a "pay the cost," only here.

Ok, so it's a slight nerf to Force of Will but still Force of Will. Hmmmm...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 09:01:58 AM by thisismyusername »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2000 on: May 20, 2019, 10:41:36 AM »
Oh look, it's the mythic that I'm gonna open like 6 copies of while drafting!

©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2001 on: May 20, 2019, 10:47:47 AM »
Cool another obvious EDH card. The format of creative deck building instead of net deckers, EDH. :bow2

@TIMU: It's a Force of Negate (RIP DesolatorMagic) that's only a Force on your opponents turn. Probably the right power level for Modern, but still hilariously short of what people were imagining.

naff

« Reply #2002 on: May 20, 2019, 10:56:47 AM »
Only on opponents turn is pretty sad. Card has been painted into a very tight niche. I don't think the hyper aggressive U decks want this. And I don't know if control wants that many either. Maybe a few in gds and some arclight brew to combat t1 chalice.

Flusterstorm the real mvp so far for me.
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #2003 on: May 20, 2019, 11:27:02 AM »
Fucking lol, they printed the oft-rumored fetch land for 1 basic land and they printed it at rare. Never change, Wizards. Looking forward to mythic fetches!

The DCI banned all the good cards in Pauper today. RIP. The consequence of this was making a tier 1.5 combo deck built around a white creature solidly tier 3 proving once again that it's only OK to ban creatures if they're white (in formats that don't rotate).

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2004 on: May 20, 2019, 11:39:30 AM »
New Snow-Covered art is kinda trash. No way I'm replacing my Ice Age Mountains in Skred with this:

Actually, I prefer the Coldsnap Snow-Covereds, but I rep Ice Age for style points.
[close]

Also, looks like Force of Negate is going to be a full cycle:

©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #2005 on: May 20, 2019, 11:54:44 AM »
I dunno. Hearing about the cycle is scratching that rainbow deck itch.

Fucking Mark Rosewater and never letting that happen ever again though. :'(

Kara

« Reply #2006 on: May 20, 2019, 11:57:37 AM »
Mark: Modern Horizons is going to be a love letter to Time Spiral block!

*Modern Horizons has snow lands and changeling in it*

:confused

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2007 on: May 20, 2019, 12:05:22 PM »

It's was me, Coldsnap 2, all along, Austin!
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2008 on: May 20, 2019, 11:31:31 PM »
Fact or Fiction is going to be Modern legal. :gladbron

Diabolic Edict too, but Liliana's Triumph makes that one a bit moot.

thisismyusername

« Reply #2009 on: May 20, 2019, 11:33:27 PM »

It'll be a throwback, sure. But I doubt the Rainbows will ever come back in vogue and people will just two-color all these.

But man, the idea of having those Forces all in one deck makes hard.  :woooo The jank balancing act is real.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2010 on: May 21, 2019, 10:49:46 AM »
They're completing the Horizon Canopy cycle. :whew
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2011 on: May 21, 2019, 11:34:32 AM »
NIMBLE MONGOOSE IS GOING TO BE MODERN LEGAL :hyper :hyper :hyper

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2012 on: May 21, 2019, 02:07:49 PM »
ayy bby, Netflix and Chiller? My parents aren't home. :-*

©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2013 on: May 21, 2019, 02:29:58 PM »
OK maybe this set is a love letter to Time Spiral block after all. :lol

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2014 on: May 21, 2019, 08:28:58 PM »

naff

« Reply #2015 on: May 21, 2019, 10:33:27 PM »
They're completing the Horizon Canopy cycle. :whew

NIMBLE MONGOOSE IS GOING TO BE MODERN LEGAL :hyper :hyper :hyper

:whoo  :rejoice  :aah  :noah :tocry

pretty cool set. the new pastiche cards are an interesting approach. i kinda wish they didn't lock themselves into the no reprints clause for the set (for stuff already in modern), cards like giver of runes still legit though. just not stupid good like mom.

god i wish the blue interaction was good enough to properly support the goose in modern. could be good in a more aggro rock deck with a pile of hand disruption. like a lot of modern players i've wanted to play a more tempo oriented bug deck for a while, seems like it could be decent. gangler still a massive threat, but this has some solid synergistic support threats in goyf and grim flayer. and they've both been very low key in the format lately. 

fuck them with pondering mage though. unban preordain you cowards.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 11:34:08 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #2016 on: May 21, 2019, 11:19:38 PM »
I'm cautiously optimistic I'll be casting Goose in an actually passable Modern deck someday.

Like that the new Mother of Runes grants protection from colorless. Not sure how I feel about her not being able to target herself.

Could have done without a new Astral Slide, but red white Astral Slide still gives me nightmares.

Kind of excited that Modern will more closely resemble the golden age of Type 1.5...

naff

« Reply #2017 on: May 21, 2019, 11:36:12 PM »
considering pre-ordering the drift and some eternal drogons
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #2018 on: May 22, 2019, 12:31:51 AM »

:-*
calling Urza or paradox engine will be banned in edh with the quickness (by the end of the year)

possibly a niche player in modern too
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2019 on: May 22, 2019, 11:19:23 AM »
Slivers are back, the Unearth one looks like it might be playable.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2020 on: May 23, 2019, 10:01:20 AM »
Ursinemic Assault

©@©™

naff

« Reply #2021 on: May 23, 2019, 10:59:04 AM »
Ursinemic Assault

(Image removed from quote.)

look forward to making gitrog x dakmor bear armies :doge

i actually love this set, so many edh bangers

and some hot staples for modern, but edh is WHERE IT'S AT

speaking of, pirate cosplay larper sisay is cute af

◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #2022 on: May 24, 2019, 08:27:41 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty obviously an EDH set, but that's every fucking set now so whatever 

Battle Screech is getting reprinted (#Pauper), too bad the illustration is hilariously bad and the format got rekt in the name of competitive diversity.

Some good not great white removal in the set (Generous Gift, Winds of Abandon). Suck it, Mark.

Disappointed Engineered Plague isn't in here but hopefully I'm going to windmill slam Plague Engineer naming humans someday. Eat shit, 5 Color Humans. SMOrc

Pyrophobia might be my favorite inside joke card ever. Piss off, changelings.

Raist

« Reply #2023 on: May 25, 2019, 09:44:26 AM »
I'm confused, why are they advertising this set on MTGA?

I thought it was non standard-legal, modern only? Does that mean they are bringing modern to MTGA...?

thisismyusername

« Reply #2024 on: May 25, 2019, 05:03:53 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/bsvg6h/an_updated_flowchart_for_identifying_the_set_of_a/

How to identify your cards. :doge

I'm confused, why are they advertising this set on MTGA?

Why are they giving out promo codes for Magic: Online after all this time?

Because Wizards is dumb and using advertising for many different platforms.

thisismyusername

« Reply #2025 on: May 25, 2019, 07:15:52 PM »
Can I just say "fuck you Wizards" for locking the stained glass Jace style behind this shitty "SO RANDOM XD" bullshit mode?

5 times I've played. 0 wins. Because for some fucking reason, the opponent gets a 9/9 with flying from discarding a land for the same amount I pay while I get a 2/2 from it.

This shit is dumb, and it's double dumb to lock card-styles behind events. I'd rather grind the goddamn gold for it.

Raist

« Reply #2026 on: May 25, 2019, 11:40:37 PM »
This mode is just plain dumb.
They might as well replace it with "at the beginning of your first turn, flip a coin. If it's heads, you win the game".

That being said, crying about an alternate card art :crowdlaff

Typical blue player  :smug

thisismyusername

« Reply #2027 on: May 26, 2019, 12:08:21 AM »
I just want the card art so I can flex on folks while playing Teferi control. :fbm

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #2028 on: May 30, 2019, 07:02:11 PM »
playing this shithouse brew at FNM. So pumped :hyper

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rakdos-cavalcade-3/

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2029 on: May 30, 2019, 08:01:39 PM »
©@©™

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #2030 on: May 31, 2019, 08:49:54 AM »
Cavalcade pile went 1-2, won a game in each of the matches I lost. Decent result imo. The shell has a good feel and some nut draws - just gotta tune it. Chandra is very good

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #2031 on: May 31, 2019, 09:24:27 AM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurenorsini/2019/05/30/all-36-magic-the-gathering-war-of-the-spark-planeswalkers-ranked-by-datability/amp/

Kara, help :stahp

Nissa being above Lili, I demand a recount.
[close]

This is a solid listicle - respects the lore and makes some good jokes to boot.

Sarkhan is ranked too high - he's got issues. Dont know anything about Kaya's disposition but all her cards kill and exile things so shes obviously powerful and scary.
my #1 is Elspeth ofc. Tezzeret prob bottom tier next to Dovin

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #2033 on: June 04, 2019, 03:55:11 PM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2034 on: June 04, 2019, 04:51:40 PM »
That’s one of those times when it’s nice to be playing online so you can let Arena do the math.
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #2035 on: June 05, 2019, 01:38:13 PM »

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #2036 on: June 05, 2019, 01:49:01 PM »
I have foil lands that are practically tubes

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2037 on: June 05, 2019, 02:26:48 PM »
Rudy just did a video about how Germans think that American cards are fake because the cardstock is so crappy and also smelly. :lol

©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #2038 on: June 05, 2019, 06:16:02 PM »
I don't mind the smell. (>getting cancer) but the goddamn cards curl RIGHT out of the goddamn packs.

I don't recall the cards being this piss-poor in Invasion block.

Raist

« Reply #2039 on: June 06, 2019, 02:47:40 AM »
As if we needed any more confirmation that Yurop >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> USA.

Get rekt, Yanks.