Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 348576 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #2220 on: July 05, 2019, 01:46:57 PM »
I'm in bronze. Haven't played anything but draft and sealed on Arena for a long, long time.

Are you made of money?

Just 7/x every event, no problem.  :awesome
©@©™

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2221 on: July 05, 2019, 03:39:52 PM »
The payout on ranked draft is pretty poor imo (you have to almost win out to make back the gem entry fee), but you can enter using gold so I get why that is. I don't play it regularly unless there's a format I really like on rotation.

In traditional draft all you have to do is win 3 matches to make back your entry fee so as long as you can stomach drafting virtually the same deck every time it's easy to go infinite there. Well, as long as the established draft community is fractured across Arena and MODO it is.

But I also spend a lot of money on this dumb game, yes.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quitting premium cigars will free up even more money for this dumb game. :money
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2222 on: July 05, 2019, 07:46:42 PM »
It’ll be interesting to see what happens at the Banned & Restricted announcement on Monday. A lot of people are calling for blood in Modern. I think Faithless Lewting may have finally enabled one degenerate combo too many. Either Hogaak, Altar, or Bridge From Below could get hit too, possibly more than one. People want Ancient Stirrings dead also, and I could see a precautionary ban for Mycosynth Lattice. Just basically cripple all of the Top 5 meta decks except Azorious Control seems to be the consensus.

If it’s another “No changes” announcement, there’s gonna be so much salt. :lol
©@©™

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2223 on: July 05, 2019, 08:05:44 PM »
I think they will ban the wrong card from Hogaak. Usually pros are very muted or conflicted about these things but everyone I've heard says it's a problem.

Glad I haven't bought into WBR Pyromancer yet!

Thanks for killing Inside Out Combo in Pauper, DCI.  :foxx
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2224 on: July 05, 2019, 08:36:00 PM »
Ban it all and let me play Temur Skred. :lawd
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2225 on: July 05, 2019, 09:15:18 PM »
I kind of want to do a Virgin Fatal Push vs Chad Skred meme for MTCJ but I don't think I've actually cast Skred outside a Coldsnap draft. :-[

Arcum's Astrolabe has supplanted Prophetic Prism in the perennial white / red deck in Pauper but it doesn't run Skred. Skred and Galvanic Blast in the same deck.

:lawd
[close]

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #2226 on: July 06, 2019, 07:45:36 AM »
If it’s another “No changes” announcement, there’s gonna be so much salt. :lol

It would be surprising. Bridge is the most obvious call imo. Faithless looting would suck for quite a few decks, and I'm torn as to whether I want it or not. I think relying so heavily on the graveyard is enough of a downside, but then again, how accepted should playing at least 4 pieces of gy hate be?

I would relish no changes again. Let it play out. But I think they'll ban a hogaak piece sooner rather than later. Hit it while it's the fresh threat vs. a pillar of the meta.
◕‿◕

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #2227 on: July 06, 2019, 10:31:31 AM »
Ban Teferis. All of them.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #2228 on: July 06, 2019, 10:56:20 AM »

Raist

« Reply #2229 on: July 07, 2019, 01:02:46 PM »
I don't know if there's some sort of super secret new meta thing in Plat league, but for 3 out of my last 5 games I ran into some clowns with oversized decks.

First one had 90 cards, second one 180, and the last one, the pile was so huge I couldn't even see the number  :doge

Been having some fun with my janky Feather deck. Nothing like out-RDW'ing RDW nobs :ahhh
Or when they tap out because they didn't kill you on turn 3 :ahhh

Also, fuck the shuffler :bolo. Lost my last game in a ranked draft because I only got 3 lands, while being 22 cards deep  :fbm

Kara

« Reply #2230 on: July 08, 2019, 04:20:03 AM »
The shuffler feels really bad lately. Almost MODO tier. :doge

Anyway, this deck isn't that great but I'm loling at Ugin, the Ineffable and Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God playing on the same team.

Kara

« Reply #2231 on: July 08, 2019, 04:31:26 AM »
Oh yeah, my banned and restricted list prediction:

Modern: They should just ban a dumb card like Stitcher's Supplier but they don't ban creatures because ideology so it's probably going to be Bridge from Below (RIP another weird Time Spiral block card) or, if they're really cheeky, Altar of Dementia. Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis is going to shit up Modern Golgari Grave-Troll stylee for awhile. Worst case scenario: Faithless Looting and some dumb pre-bans to keep everything """balanced""".

Type 1: Some planeswalkers are due for a restriction but lol like that's going to happen.

Kara

« Reply #2232 on: July 08, 2019, 05:13:03 AM »
Brineborn Cutthroat, Unsummon, and Spell Pierce being in Type 2 together. :whew

This new version of Monoblue Aggro kind of sucks if it doesn't draw the Brineborn, but when it does. :lawd

naff

« Reply #2233 on: July 08, 2019, 08:59:41 AM »
Bridge is interesting, but dumb. Maybe altar. Think I would like to see looting now to shake up the format. I will continue to play some dredge despite what happens I'm sure, unless they go nuts with bans on the strategy. Looting won't kill the deck.

I've long wanted preordain and figure it would be OK contrary to a lot of thogght because it's about on par with serum visions for decks stacked with cantrips, like storm, or just looking to setup for their next turn (also storm, and other combo decks) and it's a lot better for fairer, reactive decks thst need answers now and don't have many, or any, other csntrips. I don't/haven't really played any of the U combo decks in modern though, so I might be underestimating how powerful it is.

Goddamn they need to reprint enemy fastlands and manamorphose. Blackcleave cliffs $50  :lol
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:20:34 AM by naff »
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2234 on: July 08, 2019, 10:00:34 AM »
They should just unban Mystic, Splinter Twin, and DRS and go  :patel
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2235 on: July 08, 2019, 11:06:26 AM »
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2236 on: July 08, 2019, 11:58:26 AM »
Although the fact that they didn't even mention Faithless Looting as a problematic card in their ban reasons might lead you to believe that they don't intend to ban it ever.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2237 on: July 08, 2019, 12:31:57 PM »
It's a fine card and it shouldn't ever be banned.

Anyway pretty much dead on the money with my Modern prediction. They even singled out Altar of Dementia and Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis in the statement along with Bridge from Below.

Hope we're going to Mirrodin in the next year; it was a mistake to print lands as good as the fast lands but tied to a plane that isn't perennially revisited like Ravnica.

Raist

« Reply #2238 on: July 08, 2019, 01:09:43 PM »
It's probably going to be Theros, no?

Kara

« Reply #2239 on: July 08, 2019, 05:32:22 PM »
They said that they're trying to do a new plane followed by an old plane now. So they could theoretically do both in a year (and they both get referenced in Core Set 2020). Would even tie in nice with Elspeth, Karn, and Ajani if they did.

Unrelated: Why do people who play this game insist on using the word "equity" incorrectly? It really drives me up the wall.

:rage

First example, I read this on Reddit today.

So when we discard those cards, we aren't actually discarding a card: since that card can still be played, and the equity we spend to play it from the graveyard is the same as the equity we would spend if played from hand, that card can still be thought of as in our hand.

You don't spend equity.

:rage

e: Same post.

This post is fairly long so I'm going to cut it short here. I'm going to postface this article by reminding the reader that the power level of Modern cantrips has been decided that [[Ponder]] and [[Preordain]], which are always simple card equity (draw 1 discard 1) are banned.

Equity doesn't mean equivalent exchange. Go back and watch Fullmetal Alchemist.

:rage :rage :rage
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 05:38:40 PM by Kara »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2240 on: July 08, 2019, 05:40:40 PM »
Gotta spend equity to make equity.
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #2241 on: July 08, 2019, 05:49:54 PM »
DO RETURN TO KAMIGAWA YOU COWARDS.

naff

« Reply #2242 on: July 08, 2019, 06:47:47 PM »
i was giving someone at work shit today for buying nintendo labo stuff.

then a courier turned up with an academy ruins and a force of negation i paid $90 for  :doge
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #2243 on: July 08, 2019, 07:28:00 PM »
It's a fine card and it shouldn't ever be banned.

:larry

ok. if ancient stirrings and looting are fine, then U should at least get preordain  :'(
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #2244 on: July 09, 2019, 01:21:34 AM »
I'm not sure about what you wrote earlier concerning Preordain. In Pauper it and Serum Visions are both legal but the latter is never played while the former actually seems to have supplanted Ponder as the definitive blue cantrip. Not all formats are the same, obviously, but at the end of the day both formats are ones in which you're digging for powerful cards with some kind of philosophical restriction governing deck construction.

In Gifts Storm the generally accepted wisdom is that you don't use Serum Visions when you're storming off unless you have no other cantrips. While the deck is fairly deterministic it does have fail states and an aleatory card like Serum Visions exacerbates them. If Preordain were available instead you wouldn't be casting it as a last resort while storming off; they're not fungible with one another.

naff

« Reply #2245 on: July 09, 2019, 06:02:24 AM »
I often preferred casting Preordain in Pauper when I played Mono U Delver years ago. Seeing up to 4 cards with Ponder seems really nice when trying to combo, was good when i needed to hit a land or something v specific and gets significantly better with fetches. Only Legacy experience I have is with DnT and BUG Leovold. I played a couple Ponder in BUG, but mainly relied on Brainstorm. Didn't often get the same bad feels when i wanted one of the top 3 then having to draw the rest.

Thinking about the sequencing in Storm when going off, Visions -> Sleight, you might want to scry both to the top, but then you can't get both with Sleight. You also see 3-5 cards, but Sleight -> Visions you always see 5 and set up your next draw if you whiff? Tho seeing 3 vs 5 seems a moot point if you're getting the cards you want...  With either sleight or opt, you have a higher hit rate if you need to hit gas now and aren't chaining cantrips together.

Visions and Preordain seem closer to equivalent as setup cards t1 or 2, with Preordain being a significant improvement on the turn you go off. It doesn't seem close to being a significant enough change to take Storm from Tier2/1.5 to 1 or 0 though. Interesting to think about anyway. I appreciate and have enjoyed having Opt in the format. A decent 1cmc instant cantrip (that isn't restrictive like thoughtscour), nice to snap back, easy to keep up, but casting Serum Visions is still so painful at times :'(
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #2246 on: July 11, 2019, 01:31:23 AM »
Been liking this deck.

https://twitter.com/basic_plains13/status/1148807753453883392

Obviously not great though.

Kara

« Reply #2247 on: July 11, 2019, 02:13:06 AM »
Two copies of Planebound Accomplices in a Modern Horizons draft. FOH. :lol

naff

« Reply #2248 on: July 11, 2019, 03:08:28 AM »
the wand for shifting ceratops  :lol

currently playing a deck im sure you find abhorrent

◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #2249 on: July 11, 2019, 03:23:15 AM »
Aside from the walkers I like WUB Hero; it's like WBR Pyromancer but you have to play cards that are sometimes strictly inferior to something else to get tokens. :lol

Didn't know you could maindeck Despark now though. :o

Kara

« Reply #2250 on: July 11, 2019, 03:32:55 AM »

Round 1 of this draft was pretty memorable. :lol

Game 1:

Game 3:

tfw you have to draft red / green slivers because there are two red / green lands matter drafters at your table. :beli

tfw you have Tempered Sliver plus Sword of Truth and Justice in your red / green slivers deck. :obama
[close]

tfw you have a sub-subtheme in your red / green lands matter deck that's 2 copies of Squirrel Nest, a Bogardan Dragonheart, and a Bellowing Elk. :neo
[close]
[close]

naff

« Reply #2251 on: July 11, 2019, 08:22:14 AM »
ol' budde did recently (md despark), but yeah, i prob need to tune this thing to the meta a little better. it feels ok at dealing with a broad range of strategies. sometimes hero feels like an insignificant turd, but is great at pulling ahead on an advantage.

i really enjoyed this wildgrowth bg deck going off with dreadhorde and bolass citadel. thought i had 'em wrathing their huge board while they had 2 cards in hand, dreadhorde everything going back to ~20 life, regain a ton of life with a pile of wildgrowth triggers, cast a citadel and play most of their deck. they went from nearly nothing to this in a turn.

◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2252 on: July 11, 2019, 11:10:26 AM »

Absolute valuetown with Wrenn & Six.  :heh
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2253 on: July 12, 2019, 02:43:07 AM »
I just want to open one of those. :'( They're worth so much on MODO.

Jund dorks lining up to put another 3 mythics in their Pile of Mythics.dec :lol
[close]

Anyway, I'm liking this version of Monoblue Aggro in best of 1 much more:

https://twitter.com/DaniloSendra/status/1149004570938478592

Swapped out the Essence Captures for another Unsummon and another Pteramander. Being able to cast Lookout's Dispersal in constructed. :lawd

Kara

« Reply #2254 on: July 12, 2019, 03:11:12 AM »
Speaking of the actually good planeswalker with a converted mana cost of 2...

There are those who said this day would never come. What are they to say now? :hitler

Rot in helllllllllll UBR Delver. :gun :punch :smug
[close]

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #2255 on: July 12, 2019, 04:07:46 AM »
went 3-0 at FNM with my current iteration of Cavalcade. Deck stomps really hard and the snowball factor is real. A lot of fun to play too!

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/boros-cavalcade/

Raist

« Reply #2256 on: July 12, 2019, 01:52:50 PM »
Monored trying to pretend to play a second colour, how cute :bolo

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #2257 on: July 12, 2019, 07:35:42 PM »
haha idk man, the Skynight Legionnaire is the real deal in this deck, and Solar Blaze from the sideboard wins matches. 

Kara

« Reply #2258 on: July 13, 2019, 03:17:59 AM »

Round 1 of this draft was pretty memorable. :lol

Game 1:

(Image removed from quote.)

Game 3:

(Image removed from quote.)

tfw you have to draft red / green slivers because there are two red / green lands matter drafters at your table. :beli

tfw you have Tempered Sliver plus Sword of Truth and Justice in your red / green slivers deck. :obama
[close]

tfw you have a sub-subtheme in your red / green lands matter deck that's 2 copies of Squirrel Nest, a Bogardan Dragonheart, and a Bellowing Elk. :neo
[close]
[close]

Ended up going 2 and 1 with this deck. Could have 3-0'd if things had broken a little differently.

Sword of Truth and Justice is such a bomb. My 2 wins were against base blue decks. :lol

Karma for that draft where an opponent cast Serra the Benevolent on turn 4 both games. :comeon
[close]

Kara

« Reply #2259 on: July 13, 2019, 03:20:01 AM »
I like your deck, Sceneman. It's got an identity and it doesn't apologize for it. :lol

Raist

« Reply #2260 on: July 13, 2019, 07:03:02 AM »
Everyone's thirsty for those elemental decks. Risen Reef triggers :snore

thisismyusername

« Reply #2261 on: July 13, 2019, 04:33:30 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/ccsx35/death_threats_and_a_childrens_card_game/

Man, ya'll need to stop wildin' about EDH. This is why Arena will never get it. :fbm

Kara

« Reply #2262 on: July 13, 2019, 04:58:12 PM »
I can see how a community that prides itself on pretending that it's driven by creative, kooky deck building when they all cobble together the same paint by numbers deck every time a new set drops with a dull, uninteresting legendary creature that has an obnoxious mana cost would get mad that they banned a colorless artifact that goes in any deck.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2263 on: July 13, 2019, 05:05:44 PM »
"Competitive" EDH  :doge
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2264 on: July 13, 2019, 11:44:06 PM »
Pack 1, Pick 1 - There's a Ruination Rioter in here but I should make the disciplined pick. *selects a good monocolor card in the pack*
Pack 1, Pick 2 - There's a Ore-Scale Guardian in here, would have been nice if I'd taken that Ruination Rioter.
Pack 1, Pick 2 + N - WTF there's a Tectonic Reformation this late?
Pack 2, Pick 1 - There's Hexdrinker in this god damn pack.

:goty

Kara

« Reply #2265 on: July 14, 2019, 12:17:42 AM »
This deck is pretty sweet, though. 8)

Using Ninjutsu on a Vesperlark to return a Venomous Changeling to play when you control a King of the Pride. :lawd

Splicing a Splicer's Skill onto a Defile for -4/-4. :whoo

naff

« Reply #2266 on: July 15, 2019, 04:48:04 AM »
very nice horizons draft list. what result?

there's a big modern tournament in our area and i haven't really played in a year outside 1 random fnm the other week where i got smoked (1-1-2) playing bug traverse deaths shadow, unearth being the spicy addition. was considering playing devo druid knightfall (pet deck) this weekend, but seeing the modern challenge results post bridge ban (extremely small sample i know) has given me confidence to run back boros burn. pretty stock lists in the top 8 feat. canopy lands i can pick up easily. https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/modern-challenge-2019-07-14
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2267 on: July 15, 2019, 05:20:05 PM »
You've probably seen it, but Burn had a 4th place finish at the Modern Classic this weekend too.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2092914#paper
©@©™

naff

« Reply #2268 on: July 15, 2019, 06:51:27 PM »
nice, im catching up with a bud tonight to run through our gauntlet/do some testing with shriekhorn dredge, burn, knightfall druid and esper mentor. look forward to seeing how the meta evolves. i have a feeling the tournament meta this weekend is going to be riddled with burn and a lot of decks prepared for burn  :doge

https://twitter.com/CyrusCGmtg/status/1150503782268227584
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #2269 on: July 15, 2019, 07:02:44 PM »
not a single druid list showing up anywhere  :'(

the finale of devastation/eladamri's call/karn the great creator all in combo lists are so fragile. fast and decent against hogaak, terrible against burn. might be correct to just ditch devo druid combos and go for more of a value beats deck with coco and jtms at the top end. my current list https://deckbox.org/sets/2396704
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 07:28:32 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

thisismyusername

Kara

« Reply #2271 on: July 18, 2019, 03:56:51 PM »
The September expansion is going to be about faeries. :rejoice

Nightveil Sprite and Faerie Duelist shitting up constructed after shitting up limited. :lawd

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2272 on: July 18, 2019, 04:08:46 PM »
Bitterblossom standard reprint?  :lucas

If not, watch it go to $100 on speculation.
[close]

Edit: Just remembered Bitterblossom is a tribal enchantment, so the chances of it getting reprinted are low since WOTC doesn't really do that anymore. Better get it now.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2273 on: July 18, 2019, 04:21:39 PM »
We already have Bitterblossom in Type 2.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2274 on: July 18, 2019, 04:34:45 PM »
Dreadhorde Invasion doesn't count :scust
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2275 on: July 18, 2019, 04:41:30 PM »
It really reminds me of Mobilization: trying to evoke nostalgia without actually matching the power level / conditions necessary for the card to be a powerhouse.

Kara

« Reply #2276 on: July 19, 2019, 02:06:15 AM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2277 on: July 19, 2019, 09:39:04 AM »
Why is everyone talking about Chandra? Just because we made Chandra the face of the set and printed 14 different Chandras doesn't mean she has any importance to the set.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2278 on: July 19, 2019, 12:53:03 PM »
There's a lot of "these cards are in every deck that plays these colors :zzz" but conceptually this deck is still pretty sweet. Ball Lightning tribal. :hyper

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2098055

Unearth might end up being the most enduring addition from Modern Horizons.

j/k it's NIMBLE MONGOOSE obv.
[close]
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2279 on: July 19, 2019, 02:14:11 PM »
8-balls has got my Timmy Sense tingling.  :gladbron
©@©™