Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 342943 times)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #2040 on: June 06, 2019, 03:46:41 PM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurenorsini/2019/05/30/all-36-magic-the-gathering-war-of-the-spark-planeswalkers-ranked-by-datability/amp/

Kara, help :stahp

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nissa being above Lili, I demand a recount.
[close]

So the author has to not know Dovin has 6 fingers on each hand, right?

Speaking of manual stimulation, the author has to not realize Nahiri can make infinite varieties of dildo, right?

Speaking of handmade objects, the author has to not realize that Karn can make things that then turn into Phyrexia, right?

Speaking of getting yourself into trouble, the author has to not realize that Domri Rade is at best a barely legal teen and is more likely a literal child, right? #cancelled

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2041 on: June 06, 2019, 03:50:02 PM »
Speaking of the worst card type in Magic, I know I joked about Tibalt being a banned card but Narset can fuck the hell off for replicating the worst part of Leovold on a type of card that's artificially difficult to remove from play.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2042 on: June 06, 2019, 03:58:22 PM »
Speaking of the worst card type in Magic, I know I joked about Tibalt being a banned card but Narset can fuck the hell off for replicating the worst part of Leovold on a type of card that's artificially difficult to remove from play.

©@©™

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #2043 on: June 06, 2019, 04:51:59 PM »
Narset + Emergency Powers is dumb fun, though.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #2044 on: June 10, 2019, 09:58:03 PM »
pre-ordering hogaak for $1.50  :rejoice

also picked up a playset of force of vigor (incredible hate. wouldn't be surprised if $30+ eventually), a few force of despair, force of virtue (.35c for a free spell. i think it could be better than marginal in humans or some tokens deck), plague engineer; will be a decent sb card (i think ~$10 eventually), altar of dementia; may end up being a big part of a deck or two, ayula's influence, collector ouphe and mirrodin besieged. some have gone up, a lot are still real cheap on cardkingdom at least. ayula's influence def seems at least due a spike from a saffron olive brew.
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #2045 on: June 11, 2019, 01:19:05 AM »
I had a Force of Virtue in a white / black changeling deck and it was disgusting, though a large part of that was due to the fact that people don't know how to play with and against alternative casting cost free spells. (For now?)

Speaking of, there is no feeling on Earth like slamming a Nimble Mongoose against an unsuspecting opponent who has no experience playing with and against shroud. The goose is loose again, brehs. :lawd All those games with Canadian Threshold weren't lost like tears in the rain after all. :tocry

Anyway, so far Modern Horizons is making me feel like a limited god when I am not that in any way whatsoever (as my tribulations with War of the Spark will attest to). I cruised to perhaps the easiest 3-0, 6-1 ever with this deck, for example:

[close]

1. I think this might be the first set in a long time where Regrowth is a legitimately good limited card instead of playable filler. I had a disgusting sequence of play with the deck in the spoiler tag where I went Trumpeting Herd, rebound, cast Regrowth targeting Trumpeting Herd, then recast Trumpeting Herd and all my opponent could do was kill one token.

2. While the archetypes aren't exactly alien, like Ultimate Masters they feel different enough that you don't really notice their similarities to archetypes in prior sets. Even when I played white / blue flicker I didn't think about all the flicker nonsense I did in Masters 25 drafts.

3. I guess technically this is a love letter to Time Spiral block but it doesn't feel that way to me outside of the slivers. And the slivers are sandwiched into a contemporary 2 color draft archetype that's... white and red? Virulent Sliver didn't die for our sins to be brought to this.

4. Blue / red feels like a trap. Cantrips are often a trap in masters sets anyway (especially for more sheltered players that don't have a lot of experience playing with the most powerful ones) but it's an archetype built around them and it's not one like the blue / green Lorescale Coatl deck in Masters 25 which was essentially Miracle-Gro but filtered through contemporary design sensibilities. (That was one of my favorite limited archetypes in a long time, btw.) Blue / red is often a trap too but after War of the Spark limited I thought we were maybe through with that.

5. Black / green feels a little too packed with good stuff but this is going to be a chronic problem as long as the game is (1) creature focused and (2) Mark's warped notion of removal vis-a-vis the color pie is the dominant design ideology.

ANYWAY, great limited set. Hope the draft crew at my local shop is willing to draft it instead of War of the Spark until Core Set 2020 drops.

Kara

« Reply #2046 on: June 11, 2019, 01:21:42 AM »
Oh yeah, I just wanted to give a shout out to Alpine Guide in particular. That's the kind of risk / reward card they just don't print anymore because losing a wager is anti-fun or whatever. Even in the red / green lands deck you can get burned by it.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2047 on: June 11, 2019, 05:10:59 PM »
Time to build Mono Red Chandra Superfriends:

©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2048 on: June 11, 2019, 05:16:03 PM »
Fuck off, Wizards. :stop :rage

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2049 on: June 11, 2019, 05:25:12 PM »
This post can't be countered.
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #2050 on: June 11, 2019, 05:27:01 PM »
"Hey dawg we heard you liked Planeswalkers so here's some Planeswalkers with your Planeswalkers"
yar

naff

« Reply #2051 on: June 11, 2019, 06:49:08 PM »
:rofl

but also :uguu
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2052 on: June 11, 2019, 07:30:31 PM »
Real talk, I want to play Big Chandra in Red Prison/Skred. 8 loyalty out of the gate, you can clock them in just a few turns, and Assassin's Trophy is basically the only thing that stops it in Modern atm. Or, you know, dying before you ever get to play it, but that's just Moderrn baybee.
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #2053 on: June 12, 2019, 01:38:14 AM »
What's with WotC's raging boner for monored recently.

naff

« Reply #2054 on: June 12, 2019, 07:05:40 PM »
a cheap strong aggro deck is required in every standard format to keep things honest. without it control/combo/good stuff gets out of hand. they're currently pushing red, and rdw will always have it's diehard fans that will play it even if it's not that great. it does change, i've played standard formats in the recent ish past where the top aggressor was mono white, bant, golgari, gruul etc.

is their boner for it in regards to all the baller red stuff they printed in Ravnica Allegiance? or is it that you're getting smushed by people playing red in best of 1 in arena? red will probably always feel pushed there.
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

naff

« Reply #2056 on: June 12, 2019, 09:28:12 PM »
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #2057 on: June 12, 2019, 10:14:54 PM »
mOdeRn HoRiZOnZ iS jUst an eDH sEt

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/modern-league-2019-06-12

I think I'm in love. :whoo :whew

Creature (15)
3 Hooting Mandrills
4 Nimble Mongoose
1 Nimble Obstructionist
3 Snapcaster Mage
4 Tarmogoyf

Sorcery (2)
2 Faithless Looting

Instant (16)
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Mana Leak
4 Skred
2 Spell Snare
4 Thought Scour

Enchantment (3)
3 Blood Moon

Land (14)
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Scalding Tarn
3 Snow-Covered Forest
3 Snow-Covered Island
1 Snow-Covered Mountain
1 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground

Other (10)
1 Fiery Islet
4 Prismatic Vista
1 Waterlogged Grove
4 Ice-Fang Coatl

Sideboard (15)
2 Ancient Grudge
2 Ceremonious Rejection
2 Dismember
3 Flusterstorm
2 Grim Lavamancer
2 Scavenging Ooze
2 Surgical Extraction

Kara

« Reply #2058 on: June 12, 2019, 11:54:33 PM »
Interesting, the Gifts Storm deck in that dump is running Aria of Flame. With all the enemy color Horizon Canopies floating around the "drawback" on that card probably isn't much of one, and it does give you a nice axis to attack on that doesn't use the graveyard. Converted mana cost on it is ehhhhh though?

I'll probably take a flyer on that, especially since it's a cheap preorder.

Having to buy enemy color Horizon Canopies. :mjcry

Already owning a playset of Flusterstorms. :money
[close]
[close]

Raist

« Reply #2059 on: June 13, 2019, 01:08:23 AM »
a cheap strong aggro deck is required in every standard format to keep things honest. without it control/combo/good stuff gets out of hand. they're currently pushing red, and rdw will always have it's diehard fans that will play it even if it's not that great. it does change, i've played standard formats in the recent ish past where the top aggressor was mono white, bant, golgari, gruul etc.

is their boner for it in regards to all the baller red stuff they printed in Ravnica Allegiance? or is it that you're getting smushed by people playing red in best of 1 in arena? red will probably always feel pushed there.

Here's a pretty good summary of what monored has become.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_9xebrxxfY&t=23m5s

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2060 on: June 13, 2019, 09:54:21 AM »

©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2061 on: June 13, 2019, 10:58:44 AM »
As a draft dork it cracks me up that a deck with 4 copies of Viashino Pyromancer and 4 of Fanatical Firebrand has been the scourge of Type 2 for months. Especially when you have that white / blue / black Hero of Precinct One deck floating around that costs $600. :lol

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2062 on: June 13, 2019, 11:05:40 AM »
As a draft dork it cracks me up that a deck with 4 copies of Viashino Pyromancer and 4 of Fanatical Firebrand has been the scourge of Type 2 for months. Especially when you have that white / blue / black Hero of Precinct One deck floating around that costs $600. :lol

I built Mono Red right after Ravnica Allegiance came out for like $30, took a few months break from Standard, then came back and could run the same deck with no changes and still go 3-0, 2-1 at FNM. If it ain't broke don't fix it.  8)
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2063 on: June 13, 2019, 12:04:40 PM »
I like the cut of this man's gib. I wish I had a playset of Auntie's Hovels (only have one for Wort EDH). Thanks to Modern Horizons, they went from 50 cents to $10.  :usacry

©@©™

Raist

« Reply #2064 on: June 13, 2019, 12:22:09 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I mean, it's a massive PITA on Arena right now. 80% of decks are this, or some variant of it.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2065 on: June 13, 2019, 12:35:49 PM »
Mindless aggro decks are always going to be big on Arena, because you can get a shit ton of games in, win or lose, and get your daily quests and rewards done quicker. If you're grinding f2p, aggro is the way to go.

I've got mono red, mono blue curious obsession, u/r phoenix, and a janky ass white-green proliferate deck on Arena and although mono red is like my 3rd favorite to actually play out of that, I play it the most because I can get the best results in the least amount of time. Phoenix is, for me, the most fun to play but the win rate is worse and games take longer.

The main problem with mono red is rampaging steam kin with draw spells like light up the stage and experimental frenzy and the other one I can't remember right now. Giving red ramp and card draw when it already aggros the best and burns your face off on top of it is kinda dumb.
yar

Raist

« Reply #2066 on: June 13, 2019, 12:38:43 PM »
The "other one" = Risk Factor?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2067 on: June 13, 2019, 12:40:57 PM »
The "other one" = Risk Factor?

Yup, that's the one
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2068 on: June 13, 2019, 12:45:31 PM »
There's also WAR Chandra to generate more card advantage, which will be important in my upcoming "Oops, All Chandra" deck.
©@©™

naff

« Reply #2069 on: June 13, 2019, 06:14:06 PM »
Mindless aggro decks are always going to be big on Arena, because you can get a shit ton of games in, win or lose, and get your daily quests and rewards done quicker. If you're grinding f2p, aggro is the way to go.

I've got mono red, mono blue curious obsession, u/r phoenix, and a janky ass white-green proliferate deck on Arena and although mono red is like my 3rd favorite to actually play out of that, I play it the most because I can get the best results in the least amount of time. Phoenix is, for me, the most fun to play but the win rate is worse and games take longer.

The main problem with mono red is rampaging steam kin with draw spells like light up the stage and experimental frenzy and the other one I can't remember right now. Giving red ramp and card draw when it already aggros the best and burns your face off on top of it is kinda dumb.

im not playing standard right now, and yes, monored seems real good. but the video raist posted is the classic, time tested magic tradition of person playing jank getting mad about being punished by aggro.
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #2070 on: June 14, 2019, 03:32:59 AM »
Was this heads up or tits up: cast Totally Lost on a Narset, Parter of Veils when her -2 loyalty ability was on the stack. Opponent didn't take her and I didn't have to deal with that GD card again in the match.

Got a Saheeli token off the trigger too.
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2071 on: June 16, 2019, 01:58:24 AM »
My second Modern Horizons draft:

I'm still not really sure how to draft this set (and I probably won't be doing anymore cuz they're 30 freaking dollars at the shop and the ROI has been garbage), but I did manage to go 3-0 with this. Full Disclosure: my opponents were a bunch of EDH scrubs that were trying to get a draft pod to fire as an excuse to open packs for The First Sliver or Urza. Did I go easy on them because of their obvious scrubness? No, I assblasted them and took my prize packs and left because I have no shame or pity.  8)

(When one guy told me his P1P1 bomb rare was Force of Negation and he drafted around it :pepehands At least he didn't try to counter Throes of Chaos.)

My P1P1 was the Queen Bear and then I got a Momma Bear and I was really stoked because I was gonna draft bears, but I didn't see a single other bear or decent shapeshifter, and I ended up with this aggro/midrangey slivers/lands matter deck. I was really hoping to just get like 10 Momma Bears
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2072 on: June 16, 2019, 02:32:41 AM »
Did you like the Rime Tenders? I probably would have run Ayula, Queen Among Bears and the Mother Bear instead.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2073 on: June 16, 2019, 03:11:52 AM »
Ironically, the Rime Tenders ended up being bears. Only once did I manage to get an extra mana off one. It was definitely the wrong decision with only two snow lands.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2074 on: June 17, 2019, 11:44:44 AM »
Oh it's happening

©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2075 on: June 17, 2019, 11:59:41 AM »
WTF @ Regulator :lol

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2076 on: June 17, 2019, 12:25:18 PM »
Remember how Chain Veil cost 4 mana to cast and 4 mana to activate? What if we just made it again for 2 mana to cast, 1 mana to activate, no downside, and a highly relevant upside? :trumps
©@©™

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #2077 on: June 17, 2019, 12:58:54 PM »
Wait, does that mean the Regulator allows that one Chandra's "+1 loyalty to any other Planeswalker" to do +2 at each activation? :doge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2078 on: June 17, 2019, 12:59:26 PM »
yup, or make two emblems per turn with big Chandra
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2079 on: June 17, 2019, 01:01:54 PM »
Or do the -3 Anger of the Gods ability twice for 6 dmg.
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #2080 on: June 17, 2019, 01:12:55 PM »
 :notlikethis

Also, is that Regulator a chastity belt...?

Raist

« Reply #2081 on: June 17, 2019, 01:14:53 PM »
 :doge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2082 on: June 17, 2019, 01:17:54 PM »
I don't follow MTG lore, but I think it's the thing she wears on her wrist.

©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2083 on: June 17, 2019, 01:18:05 PM »
Hey y'all, hope you don't mind playing against mono red decks in Type 2. 8)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2084 on: June 17, 2019, 01:51:40 PM »
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #2085 on: June 17, 2019, 03:06:13 PM »
Monored is going to be so much fun :doge

Kara

« Reply #2086 on: June 17, 2019, 03:06:49 PM »
Disenchant is getting reprinted. Suck it, Naturalize. 8)

In reprints you care about news, Leyline of Sanctity is also getting reprinted.

Aside from the Pimp My Ride Chandra stuff, I'm getting stoked as hell for this Core Set. Unsummon. :o

Oh yeah, speaking of white cards, I did a ranked War of the Spark draft drunk last night on Arena and went 7-X with a modest white / green proliferate deck that had a High Alert subtheme using Huatli, the Sun's Heart. ez

tfw your opponent is throwing resources at a mediocre uncommon planeswalker that has absurd starting loyalty and a pointless loyalty ability. :lawd

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2087 on: June 17, 2019, 03:11:52 PM »
Where's the White reprint we really need?

©@©™

Raist

« Reply #2088 on: June 17, 2019, 03:15:41 PM »
Fall of the Thran?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2089 on: June 17, 2019, 03:28:53 PM »
Fall of Thran sucks, but also I just wanted to post some MTG manga.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2090 on: June 17, 2019, 03:30:52 PM »
I have a mildly amusing Fall of the Thran story that involves me being a presumptive asshole (so I know all segments of the Bore will appreciate it) but unfortunately I can't rephrase it in such a way that I won't doxx myself. :'(

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2091 on: June 17, 2019, 04:13:25 PM »
I pretty much just draft U/R spells on Arena ranked, cause you can get the good shit mid to late pick even. My last draft tho I had P1P1 Sarkhan, then my next pick was Tibalt. I just drafted like 5 or 6 on color Planeswalkers (including two Saheelis, cause there is no god) and would just do stupid shit. 6-3'd that one, tho.
yar

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #2092 on: June 17, 2019, 05:58:37 PM »
:notlikethis

Also, is that Regulator a chastity belt...?

No, it's to help her control her flames. You can see it in the Chandra, Novice Pyromancer art.

naff

« Reply #2093 on: June 17, 2019, 06:19:23 PM »
I pretty much just draft U/R spells on Arena ranked, cause you can get the good shit mid to late pick even. My last draft tho I had P1P1 Sarkhan, then my next pick was Tibalt. I just drafted like 5 or 6 on color Planeswalkers (including two Saheelis, cause there is no god) and would just do stupid shit. 6-3'd that one, tho.

i jumped on for the first time since war released last night. did two ranked drafts, went 6-3 in the first with UG, and went BUG in the 2nd but haven't finished yet. 1st and 2nd draft were v similar, first i picked up 4 arboreal grazers which was sick powering out my walkers and big bois to stall out the board and do dumb shit. my main win con was tamiyo collector of tales x jace wielder of mysteries  :doge using my 1 teferi's time twist to protect them, and the grazers and some big bois to stall out the board alongside some mild proliferate tech to keep my walkers going while milling myself ridiculously fast. one match i just let an opponents ashiok keep milling me then, when i was down to 4 cards in library cast jace, looted then milled myself ftw  :lol

would've got the 7 if i wasn't a scrub. threw 1 game with an overwhelming board presence because it was the first time i got tamiyo and jace out together and wanted to get the mill win, they had removal for jace on his final activation while i had no cards in the library and i killed myself, mana scrooge one game and another match where i was well behind on board but managed to tread water until i only had two cards in libarry, cast jace and activated but they again had the removal up  :'(
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 06:25:16 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #2094 on: June 17, 2019, 06:32:34 PM »
esper control still seems veeeeeeery good. finished my teferi playset and picked up 1 teferi time raveler. guess i'll eventually pivot into one of the new esper pw/hero of precinct one lists. need a lot of rares tho. from the few matches i played, mono red can lick my ass. tyrant's scorn :rejoice

still running maindeck lyra and a moment of craving too :lol

also, the elderspell is absurd. holy smokes.
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2095 on: June 17, 2019, 06:44:25 PM »
Well, they're not just reprinting Leylines.

That being said, if they don't reprint Leyline of the Void, I will be furious.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2096 on: June 17, 2019, 06:50:44 PM »
Take that turn 1 Thoughtseize :aah

I called new and old leylines in a Twitter DM this morning. :pitbull
[close]

naff

« Reply #2097 on: June 17, 2019, 06:51:22 PM »
plz, plz reprint void.
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2098 on: June 17, 2019, 09:53:02 PM »
Sleep easy, friends. The era of $50 Leylines has ended; Wizzos is bringing them back to the masses. :rejoice

https://twitter.com/CalebDMTG/status/1140796782835916800
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2099 on: June 17, 2019, 09:58:36 PM »
That's a really powerful nuke to drop into the format. Either graveyard mechanics aren't going to be a constructed thing for 2 years or they're going to be over the top.