Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 349869 times)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #2280 on: July 19, 2019, 06:08:47 PM »
It gets wrecked by Plague Engineer and unfortunately that's a sideboard card in Humans and Jund, which is finally good again after TARP style bailouts handed down since Guilds of Ravnica released.

Speaking of Plague Engineer, what a failure of modern card design. The card meant to keep decks like Humans in check is a sideboard card in... Humans? Not only is it a creature that slots in nicely, but its effect is asymmetrical on top of that? So the Humans deck has an answer to Lingering Souls tokens, Young Pyromancer tokens, and opposing Humans players? ???

Clearly Modern needs something faster than Night of Souls' Betrayal and Engineered Plague is unwelcome because you can't attack enchantments / build a brand around them or whatever, but sometimes the game calls for a good old fashioned mean card and this ain't it. It even has deathtouch! :lol

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2281 on: July 20, 2019, 01:27:23 AM »
 :rofl :rofl :rofl

Did a Core Set 2020 draft on Arena.

Pack 1, pick 1 was Loxodon Lifechanter. Since it was pack 1, pick 1 I could grab all the absolute garbo life gain cards over 3 packs.
Pack 1, pick 2 was a Bag of Holding.

During a grindy game I put 2 copies of Dawning Angel under my Bag of Holding.

I eventually pop the bag and cast both copies to just stay in the game after surviving a combat step where my opponent cast Overcome and a Might of the Masses.

I'm down to 6 life or so when I finally drop the Loxodon Lifechanter. My life total goes back up to 16 with the comes into play trigger on the card.

I double block a 5/x flyer with the 2 Dawning Angels the next turn. Still at 16 life.

My opponent has a nice board that includes 1 copy of Ferocious Pup. I attack into my opponent with the Loxodon Lifechanter.

My opponent thinks something is up but black and white can't really trample so they chump with the Ferocious Pup (what a monster) and I use Loxodon Lifechanter's activated ability once to make it a 20/22.

Then I cast Moment of Heroism on the Loxodon Lifechanter. :rofl :rofl 22/24 lifelinking attacker puts me up to 38.

I eventually grind my opponent out just swinging in with the Loxodon Lifechanter alone over the next few turns. :lol

Core Set Magic making life gain Timmy af.

:preach

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #2282 on: July 20, 2019, 06:25:05 AM »
Half of Arena is so horny for that Flash deck.

:snore

archnemesis

« Reply #2283 on: July 20, 2019, 07:36:06 AM »
I went 7-2 with a mediocre U/W evasion deck in my first Core 2020 draft went. Getting my fliers past spiders was a constant issue. I'll probably avoid that archetype in the future unless I run into a handful of bombs that can support the theme.

In my second I drafted a B/W lifegain deck. It's a bit light on quality creatures, but it has enough on-theme cards to evaluate if it's a viable strategy.

I ended up with this build:
• 2x Loyal Pegasus
• 3x Soulmender
•• 3x Blood Burglar
•• Heart-Piercer Bow
•• 2x Aerial Assault
••• 4x Audacious Thief
••• Bloodthirsty Aerialist
••• 2x Murder
••• Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord
•••• Ajani, Strength of the Pride
•••• 2x Fathom Fleet Cutthroat
••••• Epicure of Blood
1x Cryptic Caves
3x On-color gain 1 life lands
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 09:22:40 AM by archnemesis »

Kara

« Reply #2284 on: July 20, 2019, 07:48:04 PM »
Not sure if a deck with 2 mythics is a reasonable tool for evaluating an archetype.

It's sweet, albeit very flawed. :idont

Huntmaster of the Fells without the burden of double faced cards. :rejoice

Kara

« Reply #2285 on: July 20, 2019, 10:09:26 PM »
New set is Innistrad but for fairy tales instead of nerdling horror movies. :lawd
 https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1152753319162630145

Looks like they're floating level up / monstrous again? :goty
 https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1152755846528606209

Kara

« Reply #2286 on: July 21, 2019, 03:00:52 AM »
very nice horizons draft list. what result?

Sorry to reply late, finally finished the league. (Didn't want to blow a sweet deck by punting because I played it after 8 + N hours at work.)

I went 3-0, 6-0. :D

tl;dr match reports in the spoiler.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Matches 1 and 3 were against the blue / green snow deck that mills instead of beating down. Needless to say Dregscape Sliver was absolutely essential in 3 of the 4 wins I had against those decks. (That card can be quite gross. I got to unearth a First Sliver's Chosen that had been milled along with a Changeling Outcast and a Universal Automaton to swing in for a very large attack that couldn't be blocked.)

In one of my matches against the snow decks I got to splice a Splicer's Skill onto Defile twice. :whew

My other win was over a black / green deck that had Crypt Rats in it. In one game my opponent punted and tapped out to cast the card so I could Defile it at their end step to spare myself a beating. My opening hands in both games had both my copies of King of the Pride in them. 8)

I think this was my favorite board state across all 6 games:

[close]

First-Sphere Gargantua... I'm not sure if you should ever hard cast that card. 2 cards are 2 cards but the format is quite aggro and I'm not sure you can play with 2 life points like that willy-nilly.

Speaking of, on the Pro Points episode about Modern Horizons draft they called it triple Zendikar except actually balanced (fun). I love triple Zendikar but that doesn't seem like an unfair way to sum up the format (especially with the very strong black aggro cards.) Draft accordingly!

Raist

« Reply #2287 on: July 21, 2019, 03:05:42 AM »
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/project-booster-fun-2019-07-20

"Shit, what can we do to boost sales" is what I get from this.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #2288 on: July 21, 2019, 10:14:07 AM »
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/project-booster-fun-2019-07-20

"Shit, what can we do to boost sales" is what I get from this.

"(I'm getting to the concept of different kinds of booster packs next)"

:yikes

https://twitter.com/JacobBrown3636/status/1152757474790977536

:yikes :yikes :yikes

"these Collector Boosters will range between $20 to $25 per booster, "

:yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 10:24:18 AM by thisismyusername »

Raist

« Reply #2289 on: July 21, 2019, 11:21:20 AM »
So many nerds were speculating about what the "big change" was going to be.

Turns out, it's all marketing/sales shite :lol

Kara

« Reply #2290 on: July 21, 2019, 12:26:34 PM »
"Why didn't the Arena team implement Brawl in Dominaria Standard even though they had to implement Pro Tour qualification in-client and a patching system that doesn't completely reinstall the program (that's finally ending, heh) even though Dominaria Standard Brawl was an abject failure?" -a 100% genuine question asked by someone who is 100% going to play and support Nό Brawl.

EDH dorks are going to be running scared of a Type 2 format again. :lawd

Keep buying those annual products and showing Wizards that they can further monetize EDH, dorks. :neogaf

Ironically supporting a casual, Type 2 format to own the libs EDH players. :larry
[close]

Anyway, fuck Mark for burying the lede in that droning article about paper Magic boosters becoming incomprehensibly fragmented: Omar fucking Rayyan is illustrating cards again. :hyper :hyper :hyper

Kithkin return pls :rash

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2291 on: July 21, 2019, 12:31:01 PM »
Fans: *complain about $10 Modern boosters*

Mark Rosewater: "Now we have $25 Standard boosters!"  :patel
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #2292 on: July 21, 2019, 01:55:51 PM »
Someone needs to put Rosewater's face on this :money
yar

Kara

« Reply #2293 on: July 21, 2019, 02:12:57 PM »
I have victory in my grasp during a Core Set 2020 draft match that took a long time and as I swing in for lethal I get a disconnect. :doge

In MODO I'd just be able to reconnect to the game before my timer ran out. In Arena? No win, no loss. :doge

:bow Overpriced cosmetics, blunt AI, and whizzbang visual / audio effects covering up what a piece of shit Arena still is. :bow2

thisismyusername

« Reply #2294 on: July 21, 2019, 03:25:58 PM »
:bow Overpriced cosmetics, blunt AI, and whizzbang visual / audio effects covering up what a piece of shit Arena still is. :bow2

And people want it to kill MODO because MODO isn't F2P. :doge

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #2295 on: July 21, 2019, 04:49:21 PM »

What do you play?

Seems you're always mad at whatever the meta deck du jour is at any given time. That's competitive magic. Best to get used to it and learn to meta game or be stuck in gold forever.
◕‿◕

thisismyusername

« Reply #2296 on: July 21, 2019, 05:29:46 PM »
Or just play superior dead card games where if the other player runs, they lose. :doge

I miss my "dead at turn 1, film at 11" Netrunner deck before the community (rightly) banned most of the combo pieces for it.
[close]

Raist

« Reply #2297 on: July 22, 2019, 03:59:07 AM »

What do you play?

Seems you're always mad at whatever the meta deck du jour is at any given time. That's competitive magic. Best to get used to it and learn to meta game or be stuck in gold forever.

Some Feather shenanigans these days (and I'm in Mythic thankyouverymuch).

That deck isn't even particularly infuriating or anything - it doesn't use any completely broken cards like Teferi.
It's just that the vast majority of players or Arena barely know anything about the game, they just grab whatever popular deck is on goldfish or whatever (and the wildcard system makes that incredibly easy).

With the Flash deck it turns into a snooze fest because they switch on full control and it takes a million years for them to play anything.

Kara

« Reply #2298 on: July 22, 2019, 04:11:38 AM »

It's not a great program to stream and every match is a grind so I can see why streamers and pros would prefer it went away but Arena is going to run worse and worse as they cram in more and more cosmetic malarkey and over-ambitious levels.

Leave it to Wizards to screw the pooch...

Kara

« Reply #2299 on: July 22, 2019, 04:13:01 AM »
Anyone play with Monored Phoenix? I heard it described as the better Infect deck in Modern and that piqued my interest, especially as I already own almost all of the deck in paper already.

thisismyusername

« Reply #2300 on: July 22, 2019, 06:47:04 AM »

It's not a great program to stream and every match is a grind so I can see why streamers and pros would prefer it went away but Arena is going to run worse and worse as they cram in more and more cosmetic malarkey and over-ambitious levels.

Leave it to Wizards to screw the pooch...

I can't wait for them to abandon it like they did Duels, tbh.

Kara

« Reply #2301 on: July 22, 2019, 04:06:35 PM »
lel, Hogaak won the Modern Challenge this weekend. We're so screwed for the next N years.

Top 5 for Monored Phoenix though. There's a Pro Tour promo this week at Channel Fireball... :hmm
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2302 on: July 22, 2019, 04:31:13 PM »
Anyone play with Monored Phoenix? I heard it described as the better Infect deck in Modern and that piqued my interest, especially as I already own almost all of the deck in paper already.

I've only played Izzet Phoenix, aka the better Storm deck in Modern.
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #2303 on: July 22, 2019, 08:52:26 PM »

naff

« Reply #2304 on: July 22, 2019, 09:07:43 PM »
holy smokes. im really looking forward to historic being a thing. still not keen on brawl, but that rock is v nice, and chulane rulz.
◕‿◕

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #2305 on: July 22, 2019, 09:30:46 PM »
He's no Derevi

Kara

« Reply #2306 on: July 22, 2019, 09:41:55 PM »

I've only played Izzet Phoenix, aka the better Storm deck in Modern.

First of all that's just hurtful. And second of all, :pacspit.

Feasting on Tron because they'll never print good land destruction. :lawd
[close]

Kara

« Reply #2307 on: July 22, 2019, 09:46:12 PM »
So we're going to have dedicated card slots for commanders of specific color identities in every set now? (In Gavin's article he said that card was printed because Arcades, the Strategist is rotating.) Alright...

I don't want Leovold cards either thank you.
[close]

thisismyusername

« Reply #2308 on: July 22, 2019, 11:50:25 PM »
Scry continues to be my favorite mechanic introduced into the game post-Invasion, bar none.

Why they went with the London mulligan over Vancouver is beyond me. (Ok, I get it: Scry is fucking busted in good hands)

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #2309 on: July 22, 2019, 11:56:33 PM »
Scrying a land to the bottom of the Library so you don't draw it

:brain :brain :brain
  :doge  :doge  :doge

thisismyusername

« Reply #2310 on: July 23, 2019, 12:27:56 AM »
What do you mean I can prevent mana flood/screw with Opts?

:brain :brain :brain :brain :brain

I forget the Graveyard replacement for it, but man... same shit: Being able to see what you're drawing, decide "nah," then draw a new card is so fucking good it's mind-boggling why Wizards doesn't let Scry/keyword outside of Islands.

Islands are fucking busted already in the color-pie, let the fucking other Lands gain the ability draw shit.

Kara

« Reply #2311 on: July 23, 2019, 12:33:12 AM »
Surveil?

Card draw is too powerful to wall off in the color pie. It's a struggle, no doubt.

Good creature removal too, tbh. Part of the reason why black is the most boring color by far is that reason alone.

Kara

« Reply #2312 on: July 23, 2019, 02:32:39 AM »
Pack 2, pick 1 - Yawgmoth, Thran Physician
Pack 2, pick 2 - Pashalik Mons
Deck - fucking terrible

:whew

Pack 3, pick 1 - Seasoned Pyromancer ahahahahahaha

Kara

« Reply #2313 on: July 23, 2019, 03:25:46 AM »
Somehow I won my first match? Look at this pile!

Bogardan Dragonheart is essentially the only win condition unless my opponent doesn't play around Dregscape Sliver. :lol

That's how I won both 2 out of 3. :brain
[close]

thisismyusername

« Reply #2314 on: July 23, 2019, 05:51:58 AM »
Surveil?

Card draw is too powerful to wall off in the color pie. It's a struggle, no doubt.

Good creature removal too, tbh. Part of the reason why black is the most boring color by far is that reason alone.

Yeah, that. Both mechanics are bonkers.

Also against the casual players I play against (granted, they're high) the Gideon pre-constructed is kinda busted. I haven't seen them even with a limited card-pool that allows exiles (probably because there's only like 2-4 exile cards in the pool) actually win against it either due to misplays, or being able to build a board-state, gain life to like 30, and just shut them out after sweating the early/mid game.

Kinda like a glacier Corp deck in Netrunner, but even worse because at that point I'm sitting there with the Gideon +1'ing it with the ability and turning it into a 5/5 to slam into their smaller creatures if they try to block it's damage only to exile their entire board as fast as possible.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2315 on: July 23, 2019, 04:53:53 PM »
I did it for her and for the memes. My initial draft of All Chandras.

Get in line if you want to get some free wins this Friday at FNM.  :awesome
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2316 on: July 23, 2019, 05:41:46 PM »
Planar Beacon in a single color deck. :lol

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2317 on: July 23, 2019, 05:42:18 PM »
:brain
©@©™

naff

« Reply #2318 on: July 23, 2019, 05:54:22 PM »
 8)

cool joe

my take is you'll probably wish you had more REGULATOOOOORS
◕‿◕

thisismyusername

« Reply #2319 on: July 23, 2019, 06:11:00 PM »

Kara

« Reply #2320 on: July 24, 2019, 03:41:35 AM »
Core Set 2020 best of 1 draft is super bad but casting Soul Salvage on 2 Ferocious Pups when you have a Nightpack Ambusher in play is :lawd :preach :checkit :pitbull.

Speaking of good Huntmaster of the Fells, this deck is pretty sweet aside from the 4x Dorkcaster Mages :zzz.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2117558

White / green Infect? :leon

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2117542

naff

« Reply #2321 on: July 24, 2019, 07:12:21 AM »
DORKCASTER MAGE  :lol :rage

that deck is about as perfect for snap as a deck can be.
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2322 on: July 24, 2019, 10:08:38 AM »
White / green Infect? :leon

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2117542

At least they're not using the white splash to cast little Teferi. :yuck
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2323 on: July 24, 2019, 12:24:04 PM »
DORKCASTER MAGE  :lol :rage

that deck is about as perfect for snap as a deck can be.

I agree, it's just one of the most boring cards in Modern.

thisismyusername

« Reply #2324 on: July 24, 2019, 09:30:49 PM »
Proliferate works on Planeswalker's...  :brain :brain :brain :brain

(Preconstructed Jace deck proceeds to get 100/100 creature that uses Planeswalkers up that high due to Proliferate: ALL THE THINGS shenanigans)

Deck needs draw if it's going to be blue, but I'll admit trolling Sparky with 20/20+ creatures was hilariously fun.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #2325 on: July 24, 2019, 10:19:40 PM »
dicc so hard for new brawl :hump

I actually built a paper brawl deck way back when it was first announced and it was fun AF. RIP mono U Energy Sphinx Tribal :(

Kara

« Reply #2326 on: July 25, 2019, 12:47:00 AM »

That's why it's in War of the Spark. :lol

Kara

« Reply #2327 on: July 25, 2019, 12:47:28 AM »
OK Borewalkers: box of Modern Horizons or buy the singles I need to finish Monored Phoenix. Leaning towards the former.

e: I know boxes suck but I like 75% of the cards in the set.

thisismyusername

« Reply #2328 on: July 25, 2019, 01:18:31 AM »

That's why it's in War of the Spark. :lol

I don't buy many boosters and haven't played Arena lately. So I'm just surprised. :lol

OK Borewalkers: box of Modern Horizons or buy the singles I need to finish Monored Phoenix. Leaning towards the former.

e: I know boxes suck but I like 75% of the cards in the set.

I mean it's a money cost: If the singles cost more than the box (which I doubt, but you know...), go for the box then.

But really, if you're feeling the cards in the box, it's a no-brainer if you're going to play them far more than the mono-red Phoenix singles.

Kara

« Reply #2329 on: July 25, 2019, 01:49:45 AM »
Ended up getting the box. Channel Fireball was out of some random fringe cards that the deck uses and I hate buying decks piecemeal.

Come on LSV, earn me 30+% back in store credit this weekend. :money
[close]

Kara

« Reply #2330 on: July 25, 2019, 03:36:45 AM »
4 hours of Reid Duke playing Jund. :whew

Owen still lives with Huey and Shahar eh. :hitler
[close]

Raist

« Reply #2331 on: July 26, 2019, 12:40:43 PM »
The MTGA shuffler is incredible. Wiz should publish the code, because I'm pretty sure it's Fields medal worthy for breaking all laws of probabilities.

Exhibit A:
- Starting hand, all lands
- Mulligan, no lands
- Mulligan again, 2 lands but then 3 spells of the other colour.

Exhibit B:
1st game in Draft. Draw 11 lands (out of 16) within the first 15 cards.

:doge

Kara

« Reply #2332 on: July 26, 2019, 12:54:20 PM »
21% of the Pro Tour Barcelona metagame is Hogaak. :lol

Good job with that ban, DCI. :lol

https://i.redd.it/h2w39j5f3nc31.jpg

Refusing to ban black / green creatures is as Modern as Serum Visions. 8)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2333 on: July 26, 2019, 04:26:22 PM »
Clearly Chandra.dec is a masterpiece, but I found one major flaw with it and that is that it doesn't have enough Chandra. Here's the final decklist I'm rolling to FNM with.

4x Chandra's Embercat
4x Chandra's Spitfire
4x Chandra's Triumph
4x Chandra's Regulator
2x Chandra's Pyrohelix
1x Chandra's Outrage
3x Chandra, Acolyte of Flame
3x Chandra, Novice Pyromancer
3x Chandra, Fire Artisan
3x Chandra, Awakened Inferno

Shameful Non-Chandra Cards
4x Shock
2x Cavalier of Flame
23x Mountains

I just can't bring myself to cut the Shocks or the Cavalier of Flame even for the meme, I need the cheap interaction and an actual wincon besides Awakened Inferno, but maybe I should and just slam more Chandra's Pyrohelix and Outbursts.  :lol
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #2334 on: July 26, 2019, 04:31:45 PM »
What is with the deckbuilders kits and wanting me to go Island/Swamp... TWICE. :doge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2335 on: July 26, 2019, 04:31:46 PM »
I also found an M15 Chandra deckbox, that if I recall correctly, I won as a door prize at a Fate Reforged prerelease. I don't have a Chandra playmat, unfortunately.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2336 on: July 26, 2019, 04:36:45 PM »
https://twitter.com/TheTiuTangClan/status/1154676127446831104

The only Gifts Storm player had zero match points after day 1. :lol >:( :'(
[close]

thisismyusername

« Reply #2337 on: July 27, 2019, 12:07:17 AM »
New Arena client updater is nice.

Not having disk space (that I only found out about due to the wrapper "fix" I had to make since the "OOPS! CAN'T UPDATE!" error gave me jack-shit to go on): https://forums.mtgarena.com/forums/threads/58489 is not good.  :doge

Cleared the space, and it's downloading a 1gig update (so now I know where some of the drive space seems to be needed), but the installer doesn't seem to be doing the "delete and reinstall EVERYTHING" now so that's good. Baby steps...

Kara

« Reply #2338 on: July 27, 2019, 01:13:36 AM »
Paul Rietzl with a disaster draft on day 1. Too real. :dead

Kara

« Reply #2339 on: July 27, 2019, 01:17:31 AM »
Favorite Modern Horizons archetype segment. No one says white / black changeling. :fbm