Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 346077 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #2520 on: November 09, 2019, 11:47:57 PM »
Ban green and kill them!
©@©™

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #2521 on: November 10, 2019, 03:33:53 AM »
Wotcee: Fine, guys, we'll ban Oko then..... you guys aren't fun.

On Arena Historic only, Monday to Wednesday.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #2522 on: November 10, 2019, 04:49:36 AM »
They'll ban Once Upon a Time before Oko if you look at the usage numbers there. :doge

thisismyusername

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #2524 on: November 12, 2019, 06:16:17 PM »
They'll ban Once Upon a Time before Oko if you look at the usage numbers there. :doge

they'll ban once upon a time because of the agenda.

cantrips - make the game better, reduce variance, increase fun.

planeswalkers - increase variance, increase risk/reward, increase boredom.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #2525 on: November 12, 2019, 06:17:17 PM »
i also don't think once upon a time is long for this world in pioneer. too strong paired with nykthos. (or they ban nykthos)
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2526 on: November 12, 2019, 08:38:52 PM »
OUAT + Goose is what let’s them reliably get out a T2 Oko. If they really wanted to keep Oko around, they should probably hit both of the other two cards. Veil of Summer is probably on the chopping block as well, since it already got a pioneer ban yesterday.
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #2527 on: November 12, 2019, 08:59:45 PM »
I kinda doubt they'll hit the other two, but OUaT has a case to be made.

Oko is good in various decks. Even in the Standard warping deck right now, taking it out and putting it in food decks and the like just speeds them up. It's abilities are fucking busted and it needs to be banned (or restricted with an errata) for sure, IMO.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #2528 on: November 13, 2019, 12:02:08 AM »
If they don't ban Oko now, they'll need to ban it next month. It will kill standard if they don't. Being in nearly 7 out of every 10 decks and able to take over games is the definition of format warping. Survival of the Fittest wasn't this bad in Legacy and that was the worst I've ever seen anything other than maybe Affinity. This is worse than caw blade, and that got Jace and Stoneforge Mystic banned.
yar

thisismyusername

« Reply #2530 on: November 14, 2019, 11:55:42 AM »
But where's #PermanantBrawlMode tho?

https://twitter.com/BibliovoreOrc/status/1194607421773275143

#WhoCaresAboutNuWalkerLoreTho?

Raist

« Reply #2531 on: November 14, 2019, 12:01:08 PM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2532 on: November 14, 2019, 12:02:56 PM »
Can't have permanent brawl, can't have Chandra and Nissa lezzing out, but here's Historic mode that nobody wants.
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #2533 on: November 14, 2019, 12:04:53 PM »
Can't have permanent brawl, can't have Chandra and Nissa lezzing out, but here's Historic mode that nobody wants.

Hey now, I want Historic mode. I just also want it to fucking count toward dailies. I don't give a shit if it doesn't give cards, just let me get gold from it.

"BUT THAT'LL STOP JANK REEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

ToughDontBlameMeBlameYourselfOrWizardsShittyEconomySchemeNotAllowingBotGrinding.gif

Raist

« Reply #2534 on: November 14, 2019, 12:46:01 PM »
I don't understand why they don't include Kaladesh etc in Historic. It's not like they have to implement those sets from scratch.

thisismyusername

« Reply #2536 on: November 14, 2019, 02:10:18 PM »
I don't understand why they don't include Kaladesh etc in Historic. It's not like they have to implement those sets from scratch.

Because Wizards is dumb. They are so dumb. For real.

>Kill (Android:)Netrunner out of fear of it poaching Magic players
>reboot a too expensive format while just kicking that can down the road for another reboot
>make a "no rotation" format, completely ignore it until fans bitch to high haven
>implement a "popular"(lol) stop-gap mode (Brawl) for a popular mode (Commander) to appease players
>ONLY MAKE IT AVAILABLE ONE DAY OF THE WEEK
>ON A FUCKING WEDNESDAY AT THAT

Anyway, to go back to the Lore shitstorm for a moment:

https://twitter.com/omnidoug/status/1194664180399296513

Someone at Wizard's fucked up.

Oh well, their fuck-ups just make me glad I don't dump money into them and try to keep Netrunner's memory alive. :)

thisismyusername

« Reply #2537 on: November 14, 2019, 05:57:09 PM »
Also the Playtest artists credits have been given:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/mystery-booster-playtest-card-artists-2019-11-11

Whoever "Matt Warren" is in Wizard's needs to be given a set of like 25 cards officially and allowed to make the art as good as "Seek Bolas' Council" art. Because that one is the funniest card-art in the Playtest series.

Also MaRo is hating the fact that Playtest is popular: To which I say: Fuck you, do more Un-level funsies sets.

Raist

« Reply #2538 on: November 16, 2019, 05:18:04 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/dx0p5t/apparent_wizards_security_breach_copied_from/

What Happened? On November 14, 2019, we learned that an internal database file from a decommissioned version of the Wizards of the Coast website login had inadvertently been made accessible outside the company.

Nice.

thisismyusername

« Reply #2539 on: November 16, 2019, 10:57:37 PM »
Wizards should hire this man for their next book:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/dwb856/lorehumorcommiseration_drunk_magic_forsaken_part/

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/dx0p5t/apparent_wizards_security_breach_copied_from/

What Happened? On November 14, 2019, we learned that an internal database file from a decommissioned version of the Wizards of the Coast website login had inadvertently been made accessible outside the company.

Nice.

So was it an internal employee leak, or did someone just accidentally plug in an old server to a network connection?

Raist

« Reply #2540 on: November 17, 2019, 12:39:03 AM »
It was probably Oko. Or Rankle. Or both.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2541 on: November 18, 2019, 11:24:18 AM »
Oko, Once Upon a Time, and Veil of Summer are all banned in Standard. It's the fourth time in three years they've banned a mythic or a combo involving a mythic. (Emrakul, Aetherworks, Saheeli/Cat). :notlikethis
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #2542 on: November 18, 2019, 11:35:52 AM »
Oko, Once Upon a Time, and Veil of Summer are all banned in Standard. It's the fourth time in three years they've banned a mythic or a combo involving a mythic. (Emrakul, Aetherworks, Saheeli/Cat). :notlikethis

Guess now I get my wildcards. YEE-HAW!

Raist

« Reply #2543 on: November 18, 2019, 03:28:48 PM »
Surely they'll test cards properly, now!

lolz

thisismyusername

« Reply #2544 on: November 18, 2019, 03:56:47 PM »
:ohyou

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2545 on: November 18, 2019, 04:17:48 PM »
Think I'm gonna build Jeskai Fires so I keep playing free spells. :rejoice
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #2546 on: November 18, 2019, 05:11:43 PM »
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/play-design-lessons-learned-2019-11-18

Ultimately, we did not properly respect his ability to invalidate essentially all relevant permanent types, and over the course of a slew of late redesigns, we lost sight of the sheer, raw power of the card, and overshot it by no small margin.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Raist

« Reply #2547 on: November 19, 2019, 12:36:04 PM »
Still cracks me up.

we did not properly respect his ability to invalidate essentially all relevant permanent types

we did not properly respect

his ability to invalidate essentially all relevant permanent types

Like, did you even read what you wrote you assclown? :rofl

naff

« Reply #2548 on: November 19, 2019, 02:27:21 PM »
all relevant permanent types

artifacts and creatures

>:(

sad but kinda true. still, more or less the millions in the player base and pros didn't pick up on how good it was either til' they really started playing it.
◕‿◕

thisismyusername

« Reply #2549 on: November 20, 2019, 09:26:13 AM »
#BanNuWalkers

DO IT YOU COWARDS!!!!</Kara>

Would at least make Enchantments, Aura's, and the like great again.

thisismyusername

« Reply #2550 on: November 20, 2019, 10:50:37 AM »
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1196833128444248064

Lot of talk of Cyberpunk in there... :hmm

Maybe they'll give the Netrunner license back to Fantasy Flight Games and go "psyche! The game isn't dead!" :iwishtearshere

Oh well, do me a favor and fill out the survey and tell them "bring Netrunner back, you cowards!"

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2551 on: November 20, 2019, 11:20:11 AM »
Netrunner is dead, boomer. I'm upvoting an Evangelion plane. :lawd
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #2552 on: November 20, 2019, 04:53:00 PM »

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2553 on: November 21, 2019, 02:01:18 AM »
There's an old story Aaron Forsythe liked to tell about the 2002 World Championship. In a key turn one of the finalists (probably Carlos, I don't actually remember) cast a copy of Mana Short with the Dameon Willich illustration to set up a key play. Aaron was standing next to a brand manager who was incredulous that a card depicting a mere rose would be the card upon which a game / match hinged upon. The moral of the story is that "old" Magic was dumb and directionless, unlike nü-Magic where the #brand is widely represented on the powerful cards you see on coverage. I couldn't help think of that fable while watching Pro Tour Throne of Eldraine which (excluding the limited portions) was probably one of the worst pro tours I've ever watched; just an absolute snoozefest because of #brand primacy.

:kermit
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 12:29:49 PM by Kara »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2554 on: November 21, 2019, 10:30:37 AM »
I can't wait to see what future banned cards will show up in Hasbro's Wizards of the Coast's Netflix's Magic: The Gathering: The Show.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2555 on: November 21, 2019, 11:21:23 AM »
I just noticed that Oko has surged up to $45 post-ban. Pre-ban, people were panic selling him for $25. It turns out that people still want him for every other format.
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #2556 on: November 21, 2019, 11:32:15 AM »
Almost like he's busted and should be banned in nearly all formats.  :rodney

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2557 on: November 23, 2019, 12:35:46 PM »
At FNM last night we could only fire a 6 person draft. In pack 2 pick 2 the person to my left passes me a pack without randomizing it and I'm lazily sifting through the pack when I see Oko in the rare slot. ???

I snap pick Oko because I was already base green and the card is worth fifty U.S. dollars.

The rest of the pack was pretty good and the player to my right wonders aloud what was picked so I flash my Oko. The player to my right then stops what they're doing and says very loudly, "Wait, you [gesturing to the person to my left] passed this guy [gesturing to me] an Oko?"

The player to my left then flashes a foil, extended art Oko and says, "I picked this and didn't even look at the rest of the pack." :lol

The best part was that one of our regulars loves to draft a Fling deck (2 weeks ago he hit me for 16 in a turn with an attack then Fling) and there were zero copies of the card in 18 packs. He thought we were all hate drafting it from him. :lol

Pack 3, pick 1 I crack a Fabled Passage which is great because it lets me splash my Oko for free. (It's free real estate dot flv.) I managed to go 2 and 1 despite making some key blunders so I won a promo pack which contained... a stamped copy of Fabled Passage. :lol

Have to fly on Monday and I'm now dreading my newfound ability to find myself in statistically unlikely situations...

thisismyusername

« Reply #2558 on: November 23, 2019, 04:37:36 PM »
Edit your will and make sure you send that Oko to me. :doge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2559 on: November 23, 2019, 10:58:02 PM »
I built Izzet Flash for FNM, but I ended up with a splitting headache and didn't go this week.  :fbm

I had intended to build Jeskai Fires, but I decided I wanted something with a little more interaction and Izzet Flash speaks to me. I'm using this decklist to start with.
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2515364#paper

©@©™

Kara

Kara

« Reply #2561 on: November 24, 2019, 12:28:34 AM »
I built Izzet Flash for FNM, but I ended up with a splitting headache and didn't go this week.  :fbm

I had intended to build Jeskai Fires, but I decided I wanted something with a little more interaction and Izzet Flash speaks to me. I'm using this decklist to start with.
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2515364#paper

(Image removed from quote.)

Since the DCI murdered my beautiful boy (Blue / Green Flash) people have tried to sell me on this deck but I'm not really feeling it.

Kara

« Reply #2562 on: November 24, 2019, 02:23:33 AM »
Somehow I went 7-X with this pile.

Mythic black uncommons. :jeb

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I managed to lose a match against a blue / red draw 2 deck with 2 copies of Revenge of Ravens in play. :brain
[close]

Kara

« Reply #2563 on: November 25, 2019, 01:47:43 AM »

thisismyusername

« Reply #2564 on: November 25, 2019, 12:31:29 PM »

Kara

« Reply #2565 on: November 25, 2019, 12:50:56 PM »
As someone who dislikes playing against someone using alters I guess I'm happy that there are more official "alters" in the wild but man. :donot

Kara

« Reply #2566 on: November 25, 2019, 12:58:51 PM »
StarCity Games cut Tom Ross and it's spilled out (more) onto the internet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/e1ae6h/tom_ross_my_statement_regarding_being_cut_from/

thisismyusername

« Reply #2567 on: November 25, 2019, 02:40:42 PM »
As someone who dislikes playing against someone using alters I guess I'm happy that there are more official "alters" in the wild but man. :donot

The cat token (that is on the top right) and the Leonin Warrior alter is  cool, the rest of the art is bad, though.

I mean, I'd buy a token of that one cat and this: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/e1idjn/collaborated_with_my_wife_to_make_a_squirrel_for/

Because I'm teh beg ghey: :supergay

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/e1ae6h/tom_ross_my_statement_regarding_being_cut_from/

Didn't Star city also put like 80% of their shit behind a paywall when other Magic sites are doing the same thing for free?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 03:07:02 PM by thisismyusername »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2568 on: November 25, 2019, 03:53:37 PM »
"Someone wrote ‘cute cats’ on the whiteboard. The whole room was like, ‘Yep, obviously, ship it.’"

This is how Felidar Guardian got printed.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2569 on: November 25, 2019, 04:27:41 PM »
StarCity has had paywall content since I was a grinder, unless you mean almost all their mediocre free content has now gone away too. I don't go the the site very much because their tour doesn't go out west and I buy almost all my singles from Channel Fireball (they collect California sales tax) so I wouldn't know if that's changed.

thisismyusername

« Reply #2570 on: November 25, 2019, 04:43:20 PM »
StarCity has had paywall content since I was a grinder, unless you mean almost all their mediocre free content has now gone away too. I don't go the the site very much because their tour doesn't go out west and I buy almost all my singles from Channel Fireball (they collect California sales tax) so I wouldn't know if that's changed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/e033ic/introducing_the_new_star_city_games_pay_us/

Also thinking on if: Arahbo, Roar of the World is the best art in that cat pack. So 3 of the 7 is something I'd pay for. But not $30-80 for.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 04:47:33 PM by thisismyusername »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2571 on: November 26, 2019, 01:03:01 AM »
©@©™

naff

« Reply #2572 on: November 26, 2019, 01:11:54 AM »
Humility :rejoice
◕‿◕

Raist

« Reply #2573 on: November 26, 2019, 11:27:39 PM »
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/secret-lair-recap-2019-11-25

Not gonna lie, I'm surprised it took them that long to start selling stuff like that.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2574 on: November 26, 2019, 11:43:59 PM »
My face when I see they went with Serum Visions instead of Brainstorm for the blue spell

yar

naff

« Reply #2575 on: November 26, 2019, 11:46:01 PM »

huh, i've always liked the boss. i don't really follow the scene that well these days, but so callously cutting someone i, and many others, see as such a big piece of the character of the scg team seems weird. i thought they were all buds  :'(
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #2576 on: November 27, 2019, 02:20:06 AM »
My face when I see they went with Serum Visions instead of Brainstorm for the blue spell

(Image removed from quote.)

You got Brainstorm with Jace on it in Signature Spellbook: Jace though. :girlaff

That Kristina Collantes Serum Visions. :whew :lawd

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2577 on: November 27, 2019, 04:14:39 AM »
©@©™

naff

« Reply #2578 on: November 27, 2019, 04:36:56 AM »
being a predominantly legacy, edh, modern / cube and draft focused player I appreciate these broke spells. not a huge fan of ouat, but don't mind it. is a fine edge case cantrip in eternal formats. still dislike oko tho. too good against the janky midrange strats I like.

what's going on in play design is confusing. their explanation for oko in that they didn't really use it on their opponents stuff that much  ??? how did they not use repeatable beast within on their opponents permanents and realise it's very, very good.
◕‿◕

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2579 on: November 27, 2019, 10:55:17 AM »
What's going on in play design is that they have no clout to derail the Rosewater/Forsythe Express, and as time goes by they're probably getting dumber and less likely to recognize broken shit/interactions, so it likely gets worse from here.

To me, Rosewater is actually not awful at his job. It's his job to shit out a million ideas. Forsythe is the unforgivable one, his job is to curb the nonsense and he doesn't seem to give a shit. I remember his explanation for having Stoneforge Mystic and Batterskull in the same format was that "Scars was a heavy artifact block, and the direct sequel to the block that introduced equipment, so we didn't want to let the existence of Stoneforge Mystic stop us from doing cool equipment" or something along those lines. Dude has been trash for at least a decade, fire him.
yar