Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 348591 times)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #2160 on: June 23, 2019, 02:32:50 PM »
I find ninjas gets really slammed at the 3 drop spot. Seems like you had the same problem (though you still beat down?).

:drudge KAI BUDDE IS IN THE TOP 4 :drudge

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2161 on: June 23, 2019, 04:33:14 PM »
Blue / green Nexus of Fate versus white / blue / black Hero of Precinct One in the final has been about as putrid as you'd think it'd be. :yuck

Planeswalkers were a mistake, they're nothing but :trash

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #2162 on: June 23, 2019, 05:02:57 PM »
Planeswalkers were a mistake, they're nothing but :trash

Kara

« Reply #2163 on: June 24, 2019, 01:07:53 AM »
Inspired by Joe I went 2-1 (5-3) with this pile of ninjas and bombs.

-I was more or less mono-blue up until pack 3, pick 1 where I opened the Fallen Shinobi and snap picked it
-Fallen Shinobi... what a disgusting bomb; the power on this creature is probably 2+ points too high
-Bazaar Trademage was ridiculous with Ninjas and Smoke Shroud
-Lesser Manticore is very nostalgic, probably the only successor to Masticore that actually feels like playing with the original Masticore
-I tried running 17 lands in round 1 and that was a mistake; I think I might have gone 3-0 with this deck if I'd gone 16 lands from the beginning
-Shout out to Lords of Limited for convincing me to take the Onslaught block cycling lands with high picks
-Windcaller Aven makes Ninja of the New Moon a reliable 12 points of damage instead of 6; that goes a long way in this archetype
-I got to Man-o'-War a Marit Lage token 8)
-Twisted Reflection is wayyyy undercosted

Kara

« Reply #2164 on: June 24, 2019, 01:14:51 AM »
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1141819142476984320

This is not true at all. :doge Core Set 2020 is more complicated than Origins and that was the gold standard for complicated core sets.

SPEAKING OF, the blue knight in the cycle of mythic knights is Brainstorm on a body. 8)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #2165 on: June 24, 2019, 01:25:35 AM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2166 on: June 24, 2019, 08:14:49 AM »

OOF :dead
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2167 on: June 24, 2019, 03:19:58 PM »
Going to MagicFest this weekend (it's Modern Constructed). I think I'll probably play Izzet Phoenix.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2168 on: June 24, 2019, 03:44:44 PM »

OOF :dead

It was in the final. In game 1 I won very quickly with some unblocked ninjas and had no idea what I was l playing against other than it was probably a snow deck. In game 2 my opponent slams Marit Lage's Slumber on turn 2 and I do the "kid looking at camera with burning house in background" meme face because I kept an opening seven with Man-o'-War and 3 lands. 😈

Kara

« Reply #2169 on: June 24, 2019, 03:48:22 PM »
 :lol What a troll card.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2170 on: June 24, 2019, 03:54:28 PM »
Just in case your Rakdos deck needs Ball Lightnings 9-12.

©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2171 on: June 25, 2019, 03:21:23 AM »
Grafdigger's Cage and Faerie Miscreant reprints in Core Set 2020. :heartbeat

Reprint Stifle in a Modern legal set you cowards.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

I see you cast The Elderspell this turn. I'm going to go ahead and bring back my Teferi, Hero of Dominaria and my Teferi, Time Raveler.

[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2172 on: June 25, 2019, 10:01:09 AM »
Yeah, but your Teferis are tapped. :smug
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #2173 on: June 25, 2019, 11:18:33 AM »
:notlikethis

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #2174 on: June 25, 2019, 06:47:26 PM »
3 free random mythics from GRN, RNA, and WAR on Arena with the code MYTHICMAGIC
yar

Kara

« Reply #2175 on: June 26, 2019, 02:56:04 AM »
you, foolish - black / red is a sacrifice deck
me, wise - black / red is a spells deck with a sacrifice subtheme

(yes, I know there are some questionable card choices in here but this deck humssssssss 8))

more like Ugin, the Unbeatable lol
[close]

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #2176 on: June 26, 2019, 03:19:53 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

this is a Planeswalker deck card to fetch its planeswalker. Its weird and bad as per usual. News at 11

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #2177 on: June 26, 2019, 03:31:16 AM »
my current brew for new standard. Im obsessed with Cavalcade of Calamity and looking for the sweetest config.

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/boros-cavalcade/?cb=1561534063

Note that the list has Skyknight Legionnaire in place of the recently spoiled Skyknight Vanguard:

Kara

« Reply #2178 on: June 26, 2019, 03:45:48 AM »
Full Core Set 2020 spoiler is out. Black has... Murder and Bone Splinters at common and Disfigure at uncommon. ??? I'm willing to give Play Design the benefit of the doubt but prima facie that does not look reasonable.

My hot takes:

Card I'm most going to force all the time due to nostalgia.

[close]

The "How is this a common?" common of the set (other than Murder).

[close]

The replacement level card I'm going to cast too many times.

[close]

The Goblin Gathering Award for Most Likely to Beat You in a Surreal Draft Deck.

[close]

The "So you thought Monored Aggro in Type 2 was dead eh" card.

[close]

My spec for "Most Low-key Backbreaking Card".

[close]

Best limited reprint.

[close]

Most glaring absence.

[close]
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 03:50:09 AM by Kara »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #2179 on: June 26, 2019, 04:56:20 AM »
good take man - enjoyed those picks. Yeah that black common is ooooohhhhweee. Gonna make a splash in pauper?!

Not sure on that lizard - on paper it looks ideal for the brew I just posted, but it just feels too low impact. If it had haste it would replace Fanatical Firebrand RIGHT NOW. I remember being lukewarm on ol Viashino P when I first saw him so lizard may surprise me.

Can see why the may want Lightning Strike rotating out. Most functionally equivalent stuff (ie. Skewer, Lava Coil) is sorcery speed, and Jaya's Greeting is instant and scries but doesn't hit face (which makes it a lot worse). Might've made too many games too easy to win for mono-red? Who knows
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 06:27:11 AM by The Sceneman »

Raist

« Reply #2180 on: June 26, 2019, 09:18:23 AM »

this is a Planeswalker deck card to fetch its planeswalker. Its weird and bad as per usual. News at 11

Huh, didn't realize, was just scrolling through the spoilers. Are these non-playable in regular formats then?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2181 on: June 26, 2019, 09:40:16 AM »

Huh, didn't realize, was just scrolling through the spoilers. Are these non-playable in regular formats then?

They're standard legal, but they're basically designed to be bad.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2182 on: June 26, 2019, 10:40:49 PM »
3 free random mythics from GRN, RNA, and WAR on Arena with the code MYTHICMAGIC

https://twitter.com/livingcardsmtg/status/1143652318153519104
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2183 on: June 27, 2019, 01:53:07 AM »
good take man - enjoyed those picks. Yeah that black common is ooooohhhhweee. Gonna make a splash in pauper?!

Not sure on that lizard - on paper it looks ideal for the brew I just posted, but it just feels too low impact. If it had haste it would replace Fanatical Firebrand RIGHT NOW. I remember being lukewarm on ol Viashino P when I first saw him so lizard may surprise me.

Way back when Phyrexian Rager was a staple in Pauper's Monoblack Control but that deck is (mostly) dead. Rager still sees play there and in the white / black Pestilence deck so I could see a swap happening. Decks get on the board early in that format, though, so I'm not sure how much attacking it could realistically do.

I see Scorch Spitter as a sidegrade to Viashino Pyromancer (until Pyromancer rotates, obviously). Against a slower deck Spitter will rack up a lot of free damage and it's not very expensive which is relevant during Experimental Frenzy turns.

Kara

« Reply #2184 on: June 27, 2019, 03:59:22 PM »
Arena collections won't wipe at rotation.

They're making a pretend format that doesn't rotate for Arena called Historic even though it's the youngest format and there's a mechanic called historic in the game.

Amonket and Kaladesh blocks will not be legal for Historic. Smell you later, Kaladesh.

thisismyusername

« Reply #2185 on: June 27, 2019, 04:23:49 PM »
Amonket and Kaladesh blocks will not be legal for Historic. Smell you later, Kaladesh.

Technically, they aren't in the game anymore AFAIK? They removed them with the account wipe and never brought them back.

BUT they have said they plan to "in the future" bring those back.

Honestly, I just want to complete my Dominara collection and play that in classic jank-destroyed Vintage. :(

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #2186 on: June 27, 2019, 06:01:21 PM »

They're making a pretend format that doesn't rotate for Arena called Historic even though it's the youngest format and there's a mechanic called historic in the game.

Such baffling decisions

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2187 on: June 27, 2019, 06:03:23 PM »
I fully support keeping Kaladesh and energy out of as much of the game as possible, so that part is fine with me.
yar

Kara

« Reply #2188 on: June 28, 2019, 03:55:57 AM »
Ended up going 4-2 with that sweet black / red deck. In my 4-1 match I had a non-game and a functional non-game that lasted 15 turns because I wouldn't scoop. The deck had some flaws and variance caught up with me at an inopportune time. I also don't have the stomach to Vancouver mulligan in War of the Spark limited.

The most memorable match was the one where my opponent cast Toll of the Invasion on me in two separate games when I had Ugin, the Unbeatable in my hand and did not select that card in either instance. I then proceeded to cast it N turns later and win the game by burying my opponent with the +1 loyalty ability. What a silly planeswalker.

Speaking of Toll of the Invasion: Over the last year I have been making a concerted effort to identify weaknesses in my drafting or play, then improving them, and for the most part I've been satisfied with my progress. However, playing with 3x copies of Toll of the Invasion in this deck really hammered home to me that I am not good at playing with Thoughtseize effects. There was one game in particular where I just missed a line of play that won my opponent the game after my copy of Toll of the Invasion resolved. So, even though RUG Snow returned to the Modern deck dumps I'm going to pick up WBR Pyromancer instead.

Like I'm going to pay RUG Snow if it doesn't have Nimble Mongoose in it. :doge
[close]

Raist

« Reply #2189 on: June 28, 2019, 06:13:31 AM »

This makes no sense whatsoever :lol

Anyway, here's a guy on youtube who's always a good laugh.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #2190 on: June 28, 2019, 06:54:58 AM »
I fully support keeping Kaladesh and energy out of as much of the game as possible, so that part is fine with me.

I agree, but also can't say I didn't enjoy playing aetherworks marvel jank and as long as they keep out utamog and crew I don't see it being that broken again.

That said, smugglers copter would be the jitte of the format and yeah. There's just a lot of problematic shit in those sets. Having to pre ban felidar saheeli is prob something they don't want to do either.
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2191 on: June 28, 2019, 01:57:42 PM »
MagicFest, bitches. 8)

Just finished getting my butt kicked in a single-elimination sealed WAR GPT. I had a decent deck (I think) but I mulled to 5 in game 3 then kept a bad hand because I didn’t want to mull again. My opponent curved out perfectly and I died before casting a spell. That’s Magic.
:trumps

Now I’m just browsing the vendors, trying to not buy any of these waifu Narsets.
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #2192 on: June 28, 2019, 01:58:49 PM »
I'm not sure why the energy mechanic is so hated, I thought it was bringing an extra "management" layer that was pretty cool.

Certainly would take it any day over the distinguished mentally-challenged runaway steam kiln bullshit.

Raist

« Reply #2193 on: June 28, 2019, 02:00:52 PM »
MagicFest, bitches. 8)

Just finished getting my butt kicked in a single-elimination sealed WAR GPT. I had a decent deck (I think) but I mulled to 5 in game 3 then kept a bad hand because I didn’t want to mull again. My opponent curved out perfectly and I died before casting a spell. That’s Magic.

Now I’m just browsing the vendors, trying to not buy any of these waifu Narsets.

39 cards...?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2194 on: June 28, 2019, 03:41:44 PM »
One of the forests is hidden.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2195 on: June 28, 2019, 06:43:20 PM »

Mission failed.  :juicy

I actually didn’t directly buy Narset, but I did buy 5 packs of JPN WAR and opened a Narset and nothing else of interest or value, so you can decide for yourself if that is less pathetic or more.
[close]
[close]
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2196 on: June 28, 2019, 11:05:48 PM »

Don't think you were fishing for feedback, and it's hard to offer the most constructive feedback without seeing your whole pool, but:

1. Triumphs are sideboard cards. I imagine you were hard up for removal so you went with these.

2. I think Vivien trapped you. (I assume a lot of these replacement level creatures are in the deck because of her.)

3. Never played with Single Combat but no one I know likes it. Figure it's the same sitch as #1.

4. Leyline Prowler is good in a base green / black 5 color deck. Did it work out for you here? Looks... wasted.

5. Bloom Hulk also looks wasted. No Pollenbright Druid, no Courage in Crisis, no New Horizons. Et cetera.

:no1curr, I know.
[close]

Anyway, sorry about scrubbing out.

Kara

« Reply #2197 on: June 29, 2019, 06:59:12 AM »
I started a turn with this deck having the following in play: a 3/3 amass token; Ilharg, the Raze-Boar; and Angrath, Captain of Chaos.

Before combat I used Angrath's -2 loyalty ability to make the amass token a 5/5. During combat I put an Invading Manticore into play tapped and attacking off of Ilharg, the Raze-Boar's trigger. When it came into play my token ticked up to 7/7.

Attacking for 17 in limited like it's Infect outchea. :lawd

naff

« Reply #2198 on: July 01, 2019, 05:55:15 PM »

Mission failed.  :juicy

I actually didn’t directly buy Narset, but I did buy 5 packs of JPN WAR and opened a Narset and nothing else of interest or value, so you can decide for yourself if that is less pathetic or more.
[close]
[close]

:uguu

i would like to play these alongside the jp teferi's in uw control. tho im pivoting towards esper with jvp, snap and monastery mentor instead of the pw route now anyway.
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2199 on: July 01, 2019, 06:11:59 PM »
Yeah, I saw Esper Mentor decks popping up as the new under-the-radar hotness. I've always wanted Mentor to be a legit card, but it's disappointed me before.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2200 on: July 01, 2019, 08:49:08 PM »
After the Monastery Mentor debacle in Type 1 (where they restricted cards instead of restricting Mentor like it was Mishra's Workshop or something) I'm cautious about it popping off in Modern. Guess the cantrips are bad enough, but they're also not exactly banning creatures if they can help it which was the problem in Type 1 to begin with.

naff

« Reply #2201 on: July 01, 2019, 10:45:16 PM »
ancestral, misstep, gush, moxen, lotus, force etc etc. so many broken spells to surround mentor with in vintage. a modern that has a good enough supporting cast for mentor to be good is the dream, and maybe, there are just enough cantrips and cheap interaction for mentor to do work rn.

:noah  :preach
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #2202 on: July 02, 2019, 06:11:48 AM »
I got drunk this weekend, did a Modern Horizons draft (??) and drafted the blue / red "draw more than 1 card a turn" trap deck?? Somehow I'm 1-1??

4x copies of Spinehorn Minotaur, 3x copies of Urza's Rage, 1x Pyrophobia, 1x Magmatic Sinkhole... yeah, this is a deck I'd draft if I was not thinking clearly.

Tectonic Reformation in the blue red "draw more than 1 card a turn" trap deck. :whew
[close]

1x Viashino Sandsprinter is a heads up filler pick. Not bad, me. :obama
[close]

I won a game with Ravenous Giant. :lol

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2203 on: July 02, 2019, 09:38:01 AM »
Color-shifted Juzam Djinn still too stong. :lawd
©@©™

Kara

naff

« Reply #2205 on: July 02, 2019, 05:24:47 PM »
I got drunk this weekend, did a Modern Horizons draft (??) and drafted the blue / red "draw more than 1 card a turn" trap deck?? Somehow I'm 1-1??

4x copies of Spinehorn Minotaur, 3x copies of Urza's Rage, 1x Pyrophobia, 1x Magmatic Sinkhole... yeah, this is a deck I'd draft if I was not thinking clearly.

Tectonic Reformation in the blue red "draw more than 1 card a turn" trap deck. :whew
[close]

1x Viashino Sandsprinter is a heads up filler pick. Not bad, me. :obama
[close]

I won a game with Ravenous Giant. :lol

i did this and nearly won my first modern horizons draft, losing to some ninjas deck that got some great nut draws games 1 and 3. phantasmal form is nuts with the spinehorn minotaurs. i had 5 minotaurs, 3 phantasmal form and the thundering djinn  :lol

rain of revelation was also great. lots of janky cards and it was pretty fragile, but the card draw matters deck was p fun.
◕‿◕

Kara

« Reply #2206 on: July 02, 2019, 07:26:12 PM »
It's fun but it's a trap deck, especially for players whose experience with cantrips are little more than casting Serum Visions, Sleight of Hand, or Opt. (So, the average Modern player.) Ninjas is the better type of deck like that.

It's a little too setup intensive when compared to the decks that can consistently bruise like red / green land discard does too.

Every time Legacy Cube is on MODO there's always that game that kills me a little inside when a player inexperienced with playing with Brainstorm goes turn 1 Island, Brainstorm but no way of shuffling afterwards. :stahp
[close]

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2207 on: July 03, 2019, 06:21:10 PM »
With the new set out, people are playing ABSOLUTE JANK on the ranked standard section of Arena, like r/g elementals with no/very little removal, and I'm still just jamming RDW and crushing them with no mercy, dat ranking gonna be good this month fam

:aah
yar

Kara

« Reply #2208 on: July 04, 2019, 05:06:40 AM »
With the new set out, people are playing ABSOLUTE JANK on the ranked standard section of Arena, like r/g elementals with no/very little removal, and I'm still just jamming RDW and crushing them with no mercy, dat ranking gonna be good this month fam

:aah

This is pretty funny, thanks for the suggestion.

Monored can really storm off. Who needs Baral, Chief of Compliance. :whew

Casting planeswalkers outside of limited. :snoop
[close]

Kara

« Reply #2209 on: July 04, 2019, 05:12:12 AM »
Speaking of limited, I'm doing one more War of the Spark traditional draft atm and I've got yet another black / red deck because lol bot drafting and I managed to beat an obnoxious white / blue deck that had: Kasmina, Enigmatic Mentor; Narset, Parter of Veils; Saheeli, Sublime Artificer; and Teferi, Time Raveler when my only planeswalker was Tibalt, Rakish Instigator.

Furiously digging for one of your 3 copies of Heartfire to win the game using Spark Reaper and Dreadhorde Invasion amass tokens. :foxx
[close]

Raist

« Reply #2210 on: July 04, 2019, 10:40:21 AM »
Where are you seeing all that jank? Bronze league?

I keep running into the usual lame'o esper superfriends / monobored / lifelink kitties.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2211 on: July 04, 2019, 05:09:37 PM »
Where are you seeing all that jank? Bronze league?

I keep running into the usual lame'o esper superfriends / monobored / lifelink kitties.

Nah Gold. It may be different by this point when people realize they're not good at brewing decks. :piss people that don't netdeck :piss2
yar

Kara

« Reply #2212 on: July 04, 2019, 05:30:07 PM »
I'm in bronze. Haven't played anything but draft and sealed on Arena for a long, long time.

Kara

« Reply #2213 on: July 04, 2019, 06:58:03 PM »
Do not recommend Core Set 2020 in best of 1 limited. :donot

Kara

« Reply #2214 on: July 04, 2019, 08:46:21 PM »
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2055711

Is this a Type 2 deck?

:isthis

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2055690

I could fuck with an Infect deck that uses Giver of Runes to make creatures unblockable.

:vr

naff

« Reply #2215 on: July 04, 2019, 09:43:07 PM »
i dont play rdw on arena, the closest i got was a wizards deck. might actually be ok again with Lightning Stormkin.

preliminary list, sb is eh. i dont have all that stuff, but i will try it primarily for bo1. still playing a mostly old std esper control list in bo3 https://deckbox.org/sets/2400451
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2216 on: July 04, 2019, 10:13:51 PM »
The sub dad joke tier pun of Scale Up.  :delicious
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #2217 on: July 05, 2019, 12:53:00 AM »
Nothing helps you get over stinking it up fierce in Core Set 2020 sealed like the bots in Ravnica Allegiance draft. 7-X, baby. 8)

Outdrawing an Azorius deck because your Ill-Gotten Inheritence lets you go Blade Juggler into Blade Juggler into Blade Juggler. :lawd
[close]

thisismyusername

Raist

« Reply #2219 on: July 05, 2019, 12:57:40 PM »
I'm in bronze. Haven't played anything but draft and sealed on Arena for a long, long time.

Are you made of money?