Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 342960 times)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #240 on: April 17, 2009, 02:35:11 AM »
Yeah, but he's not named RABID WOMBAT, with the goofy ass art to boot.
yar

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #241 on: April 17, 2009, 02:37:49 AM »
yeah but rabid wombat doesn't STALK MIST

how hardcore is that

billyofcourse

« Reply #242 on: April 17, 2009, 03:55:27 AM »
I'm cool with whatever is thrown up.  I have a black deck made from the torment/mirrodin/mirage thing, I just haven't been on much at night to play. 

That being said, billyofcourse is over right now and we just made some pauper decks.  I made "Tiny Tim, the poor man's ping".    It's a red/blue tap/1 damage deck.  billyofcourse, of course, took my idea and ran with it.  He made a solid blue control/tim deck.  And laughed at me while I lost. 

Let me go on record to say I hate mother may I.  fml.

actually you won 2 out of 4 games.  Given the second was a complete come from behind with me getting total card screw in the second half of the game.

I didn't take your idea and run with it either lol.  I took my idea, and stuck in your idea when I couldn't think of creature base for it lol.
NOU

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #243 on: April 17, 2009, 04:51:59 AM »
So I'm back on Magic Online now- add DukeRaoul if you want, but I don't know if I'll be of any use to anyone.  Forgot that I mostly cleaned out any useful cards from my collection, and the bots laughed at me when I tried to trade my crap for tix.  I basically have 4 Loxodon Hierarchs, an Overgrown Tomb and a bunch of other crap from the Ravnica era, lol.  I thought I had a set of Birds of Paradise but I guess I got rid of them. 

I'm thinking about investing back in the game but not sure if it's worth it in the long run...
yar

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #244 on: April 17, 2009, 05:34:45 PM »
well, being as I dont have a local store to do FNM drafts in anymore I'll have to download magic online again :(

oh boy.

XDF

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #245 on: April 17, 2009, 05:47:40 PM »
I wish I could get it to work... it'd be fun to draft with all y'all.

edit: I'll try again!

Powerslave

« Reply #246 on: April 17, 2009, 06:57:38 PM »
Nerds: The Gathering

Kara

« Reply #247 on: April 17, 2009, 07:16:29 PM »
cruising: for a beatdown

Powerslave

« Reply #248 on: April 17, 2009, 07:45:31 PM »
o: shi

Kara

« Reply #249 on: April 17, 2009, 09:13:44 PM »

Dear Wizards,

Chill the fuck out on creature types.

Regards,
Kara K. And

edit: Also print Mudholes at mythic rare.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #250 on: April 18, 2009, 05:30:13 AM »
Does Magic Online work well?  That's probably the only way I'd play again.
serge

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #251 on: April 18, 2009, 11:12:46 AM »
Does Magic Online work well?  That's probably the only way I'd play again.

It works very well, it's just expensive.  :(  Well, then again I'm a dirty cheapskate.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #252 on: April 18, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
Boom.

yar

Ganhyun

« Reply #253 on: April 18, 2009, 11:59:11 PM »
Magic Online reinstalled.

Username Ganhyun if ur interested. Wow, i got a bunch of crappy old cards on here, lol.

Anyone know of a good tradebot that might take the cards from me?
XDF

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #254 on: April 19, 2009, 12:22:58 AM »
Good luck offloading your old cards, I couldn't get jack for mine.  I even had some semi-decent ravnica cards but the bot wanted nothing to do with them.   :'(
yar

Ganhyun

« Reply #255 on: April 19, 2009, 01:27:35 AM »
Good luck offloading your old cards, I couldn't get jack for mine.  I even had some semi-decent ravnica cards but the bot wanted nothing to do with them.   :'(

Yea, i found that as well. I might as well just keep them since no bot wants them.
XDF

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #256 on: April 19, 2009, 01:41:15 PM »
Since when do they have artifacts that need colored mana to be cast?  >:(
WDW

Kara

« Reply #257 on: April 19, 2009, 09:16:59 PM »
it's their cop out way of making sure an artifact doesn't become too dominant

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #258 on: April 20, 2009, 12:46:04 AM »
That's bullshit, they might as well make it an enchantment at that point.
WDW

Kara

« Reply #259 on: April 21, 2009, 05:11:35 AM »
Uh at least it's good in limited?

Bleh at this one too.

tehjaybo

• Kentucky-Bore's Last Hope
« Reply #260 on: April 21, 2009, 11:34:22 AM »
I love gold cards and all, but isn't this just going crazy with it?  I always wanted them brought back, but not so in-your-face.
HURR

Ganhyun

« Reply #261 on: April 21, 2009, 11:45:18 AM »
isnt pretty much this new set pretty much all like this?

XDF

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #262 on: April 21, 2009, 11:46:33 AM »
I love gold cards and all, but isn't this just going crazy with it?  I always wanted them brought back, but not so in-your-face.

That's the gimmick of the expansion- all gold cards.  Therefore, no one drops or lands.  Although the mana artifacts are kind of both.
yar

tehjaybo

« Reply #263 on: April 21, 2009, 11:49:31 AM »
Sigh.
HURR

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #264 on: April 21, 2009, 11:50:50 AM »
I dunno, there's plenty of good cards in the expansion from what I've seen so far.  Even some good commons and uncommons!
yar

tehjaybo

« Reply #265 on: April 21, 2009, 11:54:02 AM »
All this new stuff reminds me of why I stopped playing magic in the first place though.  I like the stuff I'm familiar with.  I don't have the time to read up on every new card from every new set, especially when they don't match my playstyle.  I like fast, cheap cards.  I used to play burn because shocks and lightning bolts are one drops, and ball lightning is 6 for 3.  Cards that take three different kinds of mana to cost annoy me. 
HURR

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #266 on: April 21, 2009, 11:55:22 AM »
All this new stuff reminds me of why I stopped playing magic in the first place though.  I like the stuff I'm familiar with.  I don't have the time to read up on every new card from every new set, especially when they don't match my playstyle.  I like fast, cheap cards.  I used to play burn because shocks and lightning bolts are one drops, and ball lightning is 6 for 3.  Cards that take three different kinds of mana to cost annoy me. 

Then Draft. Drafting is the best way to learn new stuff because you have to use what's in front of you and find a way to make it work. It's also a fun way to acquire cards.

tehjaybo

« Reply #267 on: April 21, 2009, 11:57:08 AM »
The closest draft is probably an hour and a half away, and even then most people go into it knowing what cards are good so they know what to take and build a deck around.  Again, time and money factor into it.  I just wish I could find some more casual players around here so I could use the 20+ decks that I already have made instead of having to buy more.
HURR

Ganhyun

« Reply #268 on: April 21, 2009, 12:01:20 PM »

Then Draft. Drafting is the best way to learn new stuff because you have to use what's in front of you and find a way to make it work. It's also a fun way to acquire cards.

Yea, I did this Sunday evening online. I made a decent red/black deck for what it was.

Had a bit of 2-3 mana cost creatures, a nice new red spell I like (if a bit pricey in mana), and some black low cost creatures that helped me out as well. (the packs were crappy, or maybe its just the way the new set is). Could have been better, but it got me into second round before I got knocked out.

(When it was running, it was good at early game hitting, but I didnt have many good mid/late game cards to keep it up sadly)
XDF

Kara

« Reply #269 on: April 21, 2009, 12:14:10 PM »

Imagine it's Thanksgiving. You get to nana's house and she asks you what you're most looking forward to at the big meal. You tell her, she nods and then when it's time to eat, she force feeds you what you asked for until you can't stomach any more. Then she gives you another 2 helpings on top of that because hey, you asked for it right?

That's what R&D's design philosophy has been like for a while now.

"I like tribal!" Here, have Onslaught Block. Oh wait, you still wanted more? Here's Lorwyn.
"I like artifacts!" Here, have one of the stupidest sets ever. (Mirrodin)
"I like legends!" Here, have a whole mediocre set of them. (Kamigawa)
"I liked Invasion Block!" Here, have Ravnica. Oh wait, you still want more? Take Alara Block too. I worry you don't eat enough, honey.

edit: I just sort of got back into the game and I'm already bitching about MaRo's merry band. It's good to be back, baby.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 12:16:08 PM by Karakand »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #270 on: April 21, 2009, 12:18:42 PM »
I dunno jaybo, they're always going to introduce new cards/gimmicks/mechanics with every set.

kara- I agree with everything written there except that both Ravnica and Alara blocks kind of got me back into the game.  I'll habitually peek at the wizards site every couple months to check out what they're doing.  I must be a sucker for multi-color blocks, I guess.  Just love having lots of options- must be the reverse jaybo.
yar

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #271 on: April 21, 2009, 12:19:04 PM »
I'm having a blast with the Alara block.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #272 on: April 21, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
Jesus Christ, I'm agreeing with FoC?  Well, a monkey with a typewriter will eventually write Shakespeare, etc etc.
yar

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #273 on: April 21, 2009, 12:26:41 PM »
There is a guy that plays magic at my draft place. He's a stay at home dad that nobody likes cause he argues a lot and thinks of himself as a know-it-all. Anyway, he's super liberal and reminds me of Triumph in 10 years. One time he randomly came up to me while I was playing a match and said, really loud so the whole area could hear him, "The power of Ron Paul compels you to win." Everyone starred at him like "What the fuck"

Kara

« Reply #274 on: April 21, 2009, 12:30:34 PM »
Yeah the cardshop isn't exactly a place I expect to encounter normal human behavior.  :'(

Triumph: I like gold cards too. Invasion was a rad set, even if it fucked up two Standard cycles. Never got a chance to play Ravnica but other than its good constructed decks being kinda banal I don't find it terribly offensive. Alara I'm still on the fence about. Drafting's certainly interesting with it, that's for sure.

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #275 on: April 21, 2009, 12:32:05 PM »
Most of the people are really chill. One guy really smells but he's usually doing warhammer stuff.

tehjaybo

« Reply #276 on: April 21, 2009, 12:33:39 PM »
I dunno jaybo, they're always going to introduce new cards/gimmicks/mechanics with every set.

kara- I agree with everything written there except that both Ravnica and Alara blocks kind of got me back into the game.  I'll habitually peek at the wizards site every couple months to check out what they're doing.  I must be a sucker for multi-color blocks, I guess.  Just love having lots of options- must be the reverse jaybo.

Don't get me wrong.  I love having options.  And I love gold cards.  But I like two-color gold cards.  Things that you can run in a deck without having to have $30-$50/ea NBLs to fuel them.  NBLs being so expensive is horseshit.  If it weren't for that, I'd gladly play just about any deck in T2, because while some of the beatsticks might be $10-$25/ea, I could stomach that as long as my landbase stays under $200.
HURR

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #277 on: April 21, 2009, 12:35:07 PM »

Don't get me wrong.  I love having options.  And I love gold cards.  But I like two-color gold cards.  Things that you can run in a deck without having to have $30-$50/ea NBLs to fuel them.  NBLs being so expensive is horseshit.  If it weren't for that, I'd gladly play just about any deck in T2, because while some of the beatsticks might be $10-$25/ea, I could stomach that as long as my landbase stays under $200.

Then just do draft. About every other week I run 5 colors in the draft and I usually have no problem. There is so much mana fixing in the set, (land cycling, exploding border, three colored lands etc...).

Back in 1996 it would have been unthinkable to do 5 colors.

tehjaybo

« Reply #278 on: April 21, 2009, 12:41:29 PM »
I would like to.  But there's no where really to go around here, and I really would rather not play on MTG:O, simply because I just like having the actual cards in my hand.  It makes the game for me.
HURR

Kara

« Reply #279 on: April 21, 2009, 12:41:54 PM »
 :lol :lol PT Los Angeles in 1996 was booster draft with Homelands and 4th.

edit: PT NYC in 1997 was Visions and 5th. :lol

Kara

« Reply #280 on: April 22, 2009, 03:23:32 AM »
uhhhh this is cool I guess

Set seems pretty Timmyrific.

tehjaybo

« Reply #281 on: April 22, 2009, 12:22:49 PM »
uhhhh this is cool I guess

(Image removed from quote.)

Set seems pretty Timmyrific.

:o
HURR

Kara

« Reply #282 on: April 22, 2009, 12:46:22 PM »
It's one of those fatties you KNOW is gonna show up in distinguished mentally-challenged APC deck.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #283 on: April 22, 2009, 01:13:42 PM »
It might be worth siding in against a 5cc deck, but given the colors probably only if you yourself were playing 5cc.

"What's that, you tapped out to play a broodmate dragon?  Pretty cool, why don't you give 'em both to me."
yar

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #284 on: April 22, 2009, 02:02:39 PM »
Yeah that card is bad even in a draft pick. To be fair, if wizards is going to have mythic rares, I'd rather them be like that dude and not like Elspeth, who will likely be in the $35 a pop range in a few months.

I'm not sure what the "best" card to come out of the set is. Probably Bloodbraid Elf, Qasali Pridemage, Jenara, Putrid Leech, or Wall of Denial. I really love the Bloodbraid Elf, she gives crazy extra fuel at just the right time to a fast Naya or Jund aggro deck. I've already sketched up a deck with a full playset and two Rangers of Eos that shoots for a stong turn 5-6 finish and it totally rocks.

Meddling Mage and Sen Triplets are way overrated. Meddling Mage doesn't fit in right now with a lot of the current deck archetypes except for Merfolk and Sen Triplets are one of those cool on paper, hard in practice sort of cards.
hex

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #285 on: April 22, 2009, 02:05:20 PM »
I like Jund Hackblade myself.  Then again I'm a sucker for critters like that.  Jenara is pretty f'n awesome too.
yar

Kara

« Reply #286 on: April 22, 2009, 02:12:11 PM »
terminate is the best card in the set  8)

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #287 on: April 22, 2009, 02:15:24 PM »
A 7/7 flyer with haste is NEVER bad in draft.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #288 on: April 22, 2009, 02:15:59 PM »
terminate is cool , but it has a pretty key problem in that for a lot of the decks where it would be run over terror, it can't hit the all-important Burrenton Forge-Tender, which makes it somehow into damn near anything weenie.

edit: didn't see the haste. Yeah, he's still a bomb in draft where you're really unlucky (or dumb by not having landcycling) if you can't get seven mana out.
hex

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #289 on: April 22, 2009, 02:16:03 PM »
I dunno, I think the best non-critter will probably end up being Maelstrom Pulse.  Terminate will obviously be the best non-critter common, fo sho.
yar

tehjaybo

« Reply #290 on: April 22, 2009, 02:16:26 PM »
A 7/7 flyer with haste is NEVER bad in draft.

I think he just meant it wouldn't be able to used to it's full potential in draft.
HURR

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #291 on: April 22, 2009, 02:17:09 PM »
Well of course, but so many cards are the same way. Even if the card just had flying, haste and no other text. i would still take it 1st or 2nd pick in a draft.

Kara

« Reply #292 on: April 22, 2009, 04:44:47 PM »
This is hot:

Anathemancer   
1BR
Creature - Zombie Wizard 
When Anathemancer comes into play, it deals damage to target player equal to the number of nonbasic lands that player controls.
Unearth  5BR
2/2
#33/145

terminate is cool , but it has a pretty key problem in that for a lot of the decks where it would be run over terror, it can't hit the all-important Burrenton Forge-Tender, which makes it somehow into damn near anything weenie.

That guy's days in Standard are numbered though, right?

tehjaybo

« Reply #293 on: April 22, 2009, 05:00:25 PM »
This is hot:

Anathemancer   
1BR
Creature - Zombie Wizard 
When Anathemancer comes into play, it deals damage to target player equal to the number of nonbasic lands that player controls.
Unearth  5BR
2/2
#33/145

The way that NBLs are all that is used anymore, this is awesome.
HURR

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #294 on: April 22, 2009, 05:30:03 PM »
This is hot:

Anathemancer   
1BR
Creature - Zombie Wizard 
Unearth  5BR
2/2
#33/145

That guy's days in Standard are numbered though, right?

Yeah, Forge-Tender rotates out with Lorwyn but not until the fall expansion.
yar

Kara

« Reply #295 on: April 22, 2009, 05:38:36 PM »
The way that NBLs are all that is used anymore, this is awesome.

He's basically a Flametongue Kavu to the dome. So hot. Especially with that fancypants flashback he's got.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #296 on: April 22, 2009, 06:43:36 PM »
Keep in mind that the unearth is basically going to be a 7-8 point banefire around turn 8-9 or so if they can pay the cost. Unearths can't be countered.

Honestly, if you are the control player its better to let the card resolve initially and take the hit, and then smack it with a Path to Exile or Celestial Purge to remove it from the game so it doesn't come back. Or run a Relic of Prothegious (spelling wrong there) , but that's a valuable sideboard slot that would only really make it in if R/B really made a comeback. I see tons of R/B unearth on MTGO and I still don't put Relics in the sideboard because Celestial Purge generally is much more versatile and does the same trick better provided I keep the mana open early.
hex

Kara

« Reply #297 on: April 23, 2009, 04:21:11 AM »

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #298 on: April 23, 2009, 09:16:04 AM »
I *really* like the Dauntless Escort. Yeah, it'll get targeted ASAP for removal-provided that it can get through the meddling mage in my Bant deck mwhahahaha.

I did some MWS testing of Bloodbraid Elf and Bitumous Blast and they are completely absurd. There aren't a lot of spells that have Cascade that are really good, but those two are definitely the best two IMO. It's more than just simple card advantage-it's the speed at which the card advantage plays out that's killer.
hex

Kara

« Reply #299 on: April 23, 2009, 01:19:05 PM »
Cascade feels stronger than the cards lead you to believe. We'll find out soon.  8)

Some more cards I like:

Kathari Bomber
1BR
Creature - Bird Shaman
Flying
When Kathari Bomber deals combat damage to an opponent, sacrifice Kathari Bomber and put two 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens into play.
Unearth 3BR
2/2
#41/145

Cerodon Yearling
RW
Creature - Beast
Vigilance, haste
2/2
#96/145

Intimidation Bolt
1RW
Instant
Intimidation Bolt deals 3 damage to target creature. Other creatures can't attack this turn.
#99/145   

Lorescale Coatl
1GU
Creature - Snake
Whenever you draw a card, you may put a +1/+1 counter on Lorescale Coatl.
#101/145   2/2

And the cards I want to like:

Fight to the Death
RW
Instant
Destroy all blocking creatures and all blocked creatures.
#97/145   

Wargate
XGWU
Sorcery
Search your library for a permanent card with converted mana cost X or less and put it into play. Then shuffle your library.
#129/145   

Maelstrom Nexus
WUBRG
Enchantment
The first spell you play each turn has cascade.
#130/145