Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3558502 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #29460 on: June 06, 2017, 09:56:32 PM »
guys I reinstalled Diablo 1 and this game still rules. too bad my mana doesn't regenerate so I don't know what to do with my wizard now that I ran out of potions.

It makes me so sad that Blizzard has essentially forgotten that Diablo 1 even exists.

blizzard takes its sweet ass time with everything so there really is no excuse as to why they couldn't spare a few people to regularly update their earliest games. i mean, they have rock n roll racing available for download, but not diablo 1 or warcraft 1 & 2? c'mon guys

It probably has more to do with the codebase. Diablo was a Blizzard North project, as well as a more complex effort than Rock and Roll Racers.

edit: added italicized portion
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 11:47:32 PM by chronovore »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29461 on: June 06, 2017, 11:40:42 PM »
ah i completely forgot that blizzard north was a thing. makes sense that d3 feels so different than the first two
pcp

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #29462 on: June 07, 2017, 05:51:06 AM »
Anno 1404 :rejoice

The whole collection (not including the futuristic ones, so 1602, 1503, 1701, 1404 only) is available for £10 at the moment on GOG, FYI.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #29463 on: June 07, 2017, 04:00:49 PM »
I've been playing the Watch Dog 2, first 3 hour demo and it isn't bad. Looks nice on OG PS4 and controls well enough. They handle stealth and creative approaches to combat encounters better than Assassin's Creed does.  :lol Blows my mind how shit the stealth in AC still is.

At the same time the story and characters make me want to cringe myself out of reality.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29464 on: June 07, 2017, 06:27:57 PM »
is there a braindead way to play dos games on windows 10, or do i need to download dosbox or whatever and use a prompt?

also related: will all gog games work with windows 10 without additional work?
pcp

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #29465 on: June 07, 2017, 07:07:09 PM »
is there a braindead way to play dos games on windows 10, or do i need to download dosbox or whatever and use a prompt?

If you're running 32-bit Windows you can just launch the executables like normally. If you're on 64-bit you need something like DOSBox or Launchbox.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29466 on: June 07, 2017, 07:22:41 PM »
I'm on 64bit so dammit
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29467 on: June 07, 2017, 07:50:41 PM »
I'm on 64bit so dammit

Get D-Fend Reloaded, it's a front-end for DOSBox [and includes DOSBox, so no extra downloads] and vastly streamlines the process of playing old games through the DOSBox program.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29468 on: June 08, 2017, 03:32:12 AM »

Gotta warn ya, Jet doesn't hold up nearly as well as I remembered.

archie4208

« Reply #29469 on: June 09, 2017, 01:48:27 PM »
I beat Fire Emblem Awakening again for the heck of it.  It got to a point where I benched everyone but Chrom because it made the game easier since I didn't have to worry about the weak scrubs dying.  :lol

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29470 on: June 10, 2017, 07:50:06 PM »
ok final fantasy xiv has finally led me down the dark path of mmo timesinks. i started star wars the old republic and elder scrolls online and am getting sucked into both. star wars feels polished and looks like it has a fuckton of content. Elder scrolls is fuck ugly with awful animation and feels like a fun but sloppy regular elder scrolls game. i'm still at the "wtf is going on there's so much to learn" phase of both but there's something so relaxing and satisfying about being able to boot up and game and have plenty of stuff i can work on without getting bored or stuck.
pcp

Freyj

« Reply #29471 on: June 11, 2017, 12:04:47 AM »
SWTOR is absolutely worth a month or two. Some of the classes have vastly more enjoyable storylines 1-50 though (Sith Warrior, Inquisitor off the top of my head).

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29472 on: June 11, 2017, 12:11:41 AM »
i'm level 12 now and i don't mind the f2p restrictions enough to pay for anything yet. they are damn annoying for sure tho - no running til level 10, no vehicle til 20, no chat til 25! - yet everything still progresses fast so the game hasn't felt tedious or anything. and the quality of the gameplay and story is on par with bioware at their height so it's been a lot of fun.
pcp

Freyj

« Reply #29473 on: June 11, 2017, 12:17:54 AM »
There used to be some non-peon tier that didn't require a sub but did require spending some amount of money on their store. Was some $5 pack that gave you a run increase, a speeder and something else. I think they've redone the currency thing to be loot boxes though.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29474 on: June 11, 2017, 12:48:58 AM »
oh there was something about "preferred" status that you get when you spend money in the cash shop. I'll look into that.
pcp

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29475 on: June 11, 2017, 07:49:23 AM »
Bought Titanfall 2 and its awesome
What

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29476 on: June 11, 2017, 11:35:25 AM »
Saint Sword, an underrated Taito Genesis game, one or two Youtube reviews from going way up in price. It's got semi nonlinear levels where you try and find a monster holding a key, and then once you slay the monster you can go to the exit. You're a barbarian girl and the game is not unlike Rastan. You can also transform into a centaur, a bird-woman, or a mermaid. Music is pretty damn great too:

^_^

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #29477 on: June 11, 2017, 12:58:31 PM »
Suikoden 2 is really good, kinda refreshing to play a game that doesn't overload you with info prompts

Started using a guide to collect all the missing stars as I'm nearing end game and can't be bothered

Bebpo

« Reply #29478 on: June 12, 2017, 01:18:25 AM »
Suikoden 2 :heart

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #29479 on: June 13, 2017, 08:16:43 AM »
I picked up Suikoden 2 back at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo in October '16.

Still haven't played it. :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29480 on: June 13, 2017, 10:46:02 AM »
You're a barbarian girl and the game is not unlike Rastan. You can also transform into a centaur, a bird-woman, or a mermaid.

Pretty sure that's a dude.  :doge
ど助平

Raist

« Reply #29481 on: June 13, 2017, 02:21:02 PM »
After Anno 1404, going back to 1701, which I never played either. It doesn't seem all that different from 1602 TBH, but at the same time, I don't know about 1404's splitting your colony into 2 factions. Not a fan of the micro-management of pay-to-refill resources either. Also 1701 is graphically superior IMO.

Also got Settlers II/III/IV for like £7 total on GOG, but that's probably going to sit there for months :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29482 on: June 13, 2017, 07:33:54 PM »
 The new patch for GTA 5 broke the PlayStation 4's headphone-through-controller audio separation, so now I can either get the radio station, or some ambient noise, but not both at the same time like the day before yesterday.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29483 on: June 14, 2017, 10:48:10 AM »
GTA Online and its spiffy new patch crashed on the between-Job loading screen tonight, so I decided to start something new.

Grow Home was free on PS+ a month or so ago, so I decided to give it a go. It's somewhere between a Unity jankfest and awesome. It's got crazy physics, where the player basically shoves the torso around the screen, and the legs resolve like a marionette's. The main mechanic isn't walking though, it's climbing and controlled falling. It gives me some of the Jumpin' Flash vibe, which is s good thing, but the controls are not nearly as tight.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #29484 on: June 14, 2017, 03:18:44 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #29485 on: June 17, 2017, 05:34:30 PM »
I ran into fatal1ty in quake champions match:
https://streamable.com/x404j

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29486 on: June 17, 2017, 06:15:13 PM »
Mass Erect Andromda

Playing on Insanity - you melt in like 5 bullets fuck

Also none of the characters are remotely cool. Bring back Shepard
fat

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #29487 on: June 18, 2017, 03:38:23 AM »
Wolfenstein: The New Order

:lawd :noah

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29488 on: June 18, 2017, 03:05:49 PM »
Bought Wipeout Omega Collection  :lawd

Also bought Titanfall 2 last week and got up to lvl 50 and finished the campaign, great game.
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29489 on: June 18, 2017, 03:06:55 PM »

That looks pretty damn cool.
What

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29490 on: June 18, 2017, 10:20:33 PM »
Made it up to the cruise ship dungeon in P5, 91 hours in. Seemingly near the end, I'm hoping I can wrap it up sometime next weekend.
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29491 on: June 18, 2017, 10:22:13 PM »
The cruise ship dungeon is pretty long, and there's the final dungeon to go after that. Dunno if you could knock that out in just one weekend.
dog

archie4208

« Reply #29492 on: June 18, 2017, 10:29:52 PM »
The ship is SHIT.  I still haven't went back to the game after beating Shido.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #29493 on: June 19, 2017, 11:33:10 AM »
Beat Tales of Berseria this weekend. Kinda trucked it through the last section of the game, and skipped a lot of sidequests because I was ready to get it done, but I still liked it and think it's one of the better Tales games. Started playing some Binding of Isaac on the Switch (it's the first time I've played on a fresh save since Vanilla Isaac :eek) and gonna start playing some Zeruda. I only got about 10 hours into the Wii U version before Persona 5 came out, so it's time to give it a proper go.
©@©™

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #29494 on: June 19, 2017, 02:36:07 PM »

Haha holy shit that's rad, I made a crack about him during the Bethesda conference in the E3 thread, I had no idea he was actually still out there doing it

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #29495 on: June 19, 2017, 02:39:48 PM »

Haha holy shit that's rad, I made a crack about him during the Bethesda conference in the E3 thread, I had no idea he was actually still out there doing it

he plays PUBG now like everyone else lol https://www.twitch.tv/fatal1ty but i checked his feed after this match to verify and it was him.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #29496 on: June 20, 2017, 01:20:44 PM »
I'm playing through Mother 3. Maybe it's because the series never held much nostalgia for me but it seems 90% personality and 10% substance. On chapter 7, the game play certainly doesn't come off as anything great. It's still enjoyable because of the characters and story but without those I don't think anyone would really talk about the series much at all.
que

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29497 on: June 20, 2017, 01:41:11 PM »
I felt the same way about Mother 2. funny scenarios but the gameplay was an assy dragon Quest knockoff.
pcp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29498 on: June 20, 2017, 06:17:06 PM »
I think Mother 3 is definitely the best of the franchise - most interesting story, most refined gameplay (though the 'tap in time to the beat' didn't quite work for me). Mother 2 is good but it's a bit too easy to break and the balance is really weird, and Mother 1 is FAR too grindy, though it's neat exploring such a massive world map in a Famicom game.
^_^

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29499 on: June 20, 2017, 06:43:16 PM »
Grow Home - an indie climbing game.  I'm not sure if I like it or not yet. It's got that standard indie, low polygon look which is popular right now. It can be a little hard to see where I'm supposed to be grabbing when climbing. The camera needs a lot of babysitting.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29500 on: June 20, 2017, 07:16:30 PM »
I think Mother 3 sucks dick and isnt worth people crying to be translated
fat

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #29501 on: June 20, 2017, 11:01:22 PM »
I think Mother 3 sucks dick and isnt worth people crying to be translated
Yeah...I'm sorta at that point too. So many people were like "OMG! Mother 3!!!" Now that I'm playing it, it's just sorta "meh" people have taken call the concepts and have done it better/more compelling.  But at this point I'm so close to the end. I might as well finish it.
que

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29502 on: June 20, 2017, 11:05:24 PM »
I can replay the fuck out of earthbound, but i have no interest in replaying mother 3
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29503 on: June 20, 2017, 11:08:43 PM »
earthbound wasn't that great either
pcp

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #29504 on: June 21, 2017, 01:24:53 PM »
so mother 3 is done. Honestly, I don't get the whole "Mother 3 is the pinnacle of videogame story telling!" stuff. Really, it's somewhat hamfisted. I'm not saying it's bad, but I'm just saying it's all sorta obvious and somewhat excels simply because they're the tallest midget in the competition. So many people say that this is supposed to be up there with other forms of entertainment, but honestly, Dickens has ended sections of chapters in a better fashion than this entire game. Not bad, but really there was little to no need for the hype.

Decided that I really need to get to Phantasy Star 4. But to remind myself I've gone back to Phantasy Star 2. I had forgotten just how willfully obstructive those games were. Everything is a massive maze. Why? Because fuck you that's why!

que

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29505 on: June 21, 2017, 09:40:36 PM »
:bow Phantasy Star :bow2
^_^

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29506 on: June 21, 2017, 10:36:43 PM »
Found a list "50 games which are like GTA." I'd played most of them, but had forgotten about APB, the MMO by the makers of Crackdown, with a troubled development history. I'd intended to play it if I ever got a PC, but the article mentioned it had a PS4 and Xbone port made for it in the past year or two.

I was off like a shot to download it. My PS4 returned a DNS error for the first time ever, and I wondered if it were being blocked from Japan for some reason. I struggled with assigning Google's public DNS servers over the default ones, then realized I should reboot my router and modem. Soon, it was downloading. After 3 minutes of its poorly implemented tutorial, lag reared its ugly face (my PS4 on wifi gets 36Mbps down, 5 up), increasing in intensity and disconnect warnings until it finally dropped me at the top-menu, refusing to let me reconnect.

FFFFFFFffffffuuuuu…

I know, I know, I'm lamenting having no access to a garbage-tier GTA clone with after-the-fact F2P monetization strapped on like an 18" knobbed black starliner bolted to the front of demi on a rocket-sled. I just enjoy seeing how different open-world games implement their stuff.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #29507 on: June 22, 2017, 08:43:41 AM »
Man you really like open world games don't you, lol.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
chronovore is secretly yves guillemot
[close]

Raist

« Reply #29508 on: June 22, 2017, 10:27:42 AM »
Found a list "50 games which are like GTA." I'd played most of them, but had forgotten about APB, the MMO by the makers of Crackdown, with a troubled development history. I'd intended to play it if I ever got a PC, but the article mentioned it had a PS4 and Xbone port made for it in the past year or two.

I was off like a shot to download it. My PS4 returned a DNS error for the first time ever, and I wondered if it were being blocked from Japan for some reason. I struggled with assigning Google's public DNS servers over the default ones, then realized I should reboot my router and modem. Soon, it was downloading. After 3 minutes of its poorly implemented tutorial, lag reared its ugly face (my PS4 on wifi gets 36Mbps down, 5 up), increasing in intensity and disconnect warnings until it finally dropped me at the top-menu, refusing to let me reconnect.

FFFFFFFffffffuuuuu…

I know, I know, I'm lamenting having no access to a garbage-tier GTA clone with after-the-fact F2P monetization strapped on like an 18" knobbed black starliner bolted to the front of demi on a rocket-sled. I just enjoy seeing how different open-world games implement their stuff.

Dude stop wasting your time and go play Horizon.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #29509 on: June 22, 2017, 01:58:46 PM »
Oh and I've also started another run of Link's Adventure. It gets an inordinate amount of hate.
Like the Legend of Zelda 1 when I was replaying it a few weeks ago I was surprised that I as a kid was able to finish it at all (especially level 5 and 6 were hard because you didn't have the master sword yet and everything was way stronger than you). Link's Adventure is WAY harder than LoZ and again I'm surprised at the amount of patience I must have had as a kid to be able to finish this. It's still fun. But I don't think I would play it again with out a save state. I use them sparsely but still, it's a little ridiculous.
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29510 on: June 22, 2017, 07:32:58 PM »
Man you really like open world games don't you, lol.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
chronovore is secretly yves guillemot
[close]

I really do.

I think it was initially based in escapism from a job that I was really not enjoying when GTA III came out.  That game was absolutely transformative for me.  Since then, I don't need to escape as much, but I do enjoy ablating the cumulative damage of homesickness that many expats have.

There's also something cathartic about being in a world with its own rules and internal consistency, but still being able to act out without any real world repercussions. I guess that's what really appeals to me is that immersion.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #29511 on: June 23, 2017, 09:16:08 AM »
Getting back into vidya after an extended hiatus for an overpriced tcg (still playing, just more balanced) . Got a wii u dirt cheap to play zelda, mk8, smb3dw, bayo 2 and xeno chronicles.  been playing mgsv on PC a lot also, nearly necro'd the old thread. My best simple descriptor is it's very moreish, a little bland, but the fundamentals are solid. D-walkers are amazing, the setting is my jam, and dat gameplay. Enjoying some FOB stuff now I get it, even got into listening to the cassettes when cooking tonight, actually p nicely clarifies some story elements. Only a little way into chapter 2 though, I can see how it would wear thin soon after. A lot of the content, despite being solid and fun enough even though repetitive, is just filler. A lot of time wasted travelling and fucking around in dialogues |in between| actually doing stuff
◕‿◕

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #29512 on: June 23, 2017, 09:22:21 AM »
Also, yeah. Have to check out the PC mod which gives every mission a subsistence mode. C2W Subsistence made me wish you were in command of a more ragtag guerilla militia based in Afghanistan living off scraps vs this mother base wealthy PF deal.
◕‿◕

Boredfrom

« Reply #29513 on: June 23, 2017, 04:07:10 PM »
I bought the Taken King expansion in the last PSN sale so I'm playing destiny again. Yep, is still destiny even if the loot system feels better.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29514 on: June 23, 2017, 04:37:25 PM »
is there a reason why we can't buy rise of Iron separately? I wanted to go back to it but fuck spending all that money for the complete version
pcp

Boredfrom

« Reply #29515 on: June 23, 2017, 04:41:08 PM »
is there a reason why we can't buy rise of Iron separately? I wanted to go back to it but fuck spending all that money for the complete version

I think is because Taken King raises your level cap.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29516 on: June 23, 2017, 05:01:41 PM »
Taken King is way better than Rise of Iron anyway
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29517 on: June 23, 2017, 06:10:52 PM »

i don't understand why this is an issue
pcp

Boredfrom

« Reply #29518 on: June 23, 2017, 07:06:33 PM »

i don't understand why this is an issue

Most of the post Level 20 gear is from TakenKing. Rise of Iron missions has even huger requirements

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #29519 on: June 23, 2017, 07:10:55 PM »
no but i'm saying psn won't let me purchase the expansion
pcp