Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3558902 times)

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #30300 on: November 05, 2017, 08:49:00 PM »
Ys 8 :aah
reckt

« Reply #30301 on: November 07, 2017, 08:22:16 AM »
Got Cold Steel 2 and Ass Creed Origins in the mail yesterday, need to polish off Danganronpa and Yakuza Kiwami before I dive deep into either.  :itagaki

Fuckin minigames tho man  :maf :maf

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #30302 on: November 07, 2017, 08:23:47 AM »
Dump it all and play Cold Steel 2
fat

« Reply #30303 on: November 07, 2017, 08:37:03 AM »
That's probably what I'll do anyway. :goty

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #30304 on: November 07, 2017, 02:17:16 PM »
got some time for working from home coming up. Thinking of dedicating a good chunk of time to Persona 5. It's dragging a bit. I just finished the bank level. Also, maybe I'm wrong, but I think I already know who the traitor is. Visually it's astounding, but Persona games have always had issues with pacing but this doesn't necessary do it better. I do love how Tokyo this, along with the authentic teacher names, such as "Becky".
que

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #30305 on: November 07, 2017, 02:58:03 PM »
Elex is so good. Dat eurojank
reckt

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #30306 on: November 07, 2017, 03:09:00 PM »
How clunky is the combat?

paprikastaude

« Reply #30307 on: November 07, 2017, 03:15:36 PM »
Got into the castle in Super Ghouls'N'Ghosts in 3 lives mode. Good enough for me. I think the worst part of the game before the final level is the raft stage at the beginning. Way too long and tedious to start over.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #30308 on: November 07, 2017, 03:19:59 PM »
Better than Gothic 3 and onwards.
reckt

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #30309 on: November 07, 2017, 03:42:05 PM »
Better than Gothic 3 and onwards.
:leon

http://boa.realm667.com/

:bow
I'm still playing this, but I should probably stop. It's still a really admirable effort, but I've lost my enthusiasm for it. The core issue is that shoot first is the winning strategy in almost all encounters. The few heavies don't do enough to break up the stun-locking monotony, neither do the lovingly crafted maps. It's very much Wolfenstein in that way.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #30310 on: November 07, 2017, 04:15:04 PM »
Got into the castle in Super Ghouls'N'Ghosts in 3 lives mode. Good enough for me. I think the worst part of the game before the final level is the raft stage at the beginning. Way too long and tedious to start over.

you already made it farther than 99% of the people that played that game. you did good, kid. and the raft is terrible and ruins replays. trying to go thru the game without having a save state set after that level would be trash.
pcp

paprikastaude

« Reply #30311 on: November 07, 2017, 04:23:52 PM »
I can't believe Arino made it through the full game.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #30312 on: November 07, 2017, 04:26:24 PM »
i mean, if someone wanted to pay me to beat a game I think I could finish anything lol
pcp

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #30313 on: November 07, 2017, 05:42:02 PM »
So after all this time I finally got to the point where I can pop in Witcher 3. I started it up and was like "Who's this? What's that? Where are they? Who's that?"

I figure I should probably play 1 and 2 first. I really want to enjoy it as much as possible.

Catching up: If you're seriously not going to play Witcher 1-2 (which gives you story choices that are minor in 3, granted) for save-purposes: At least read the Witcher novels if you're a fast reader. The Witcher 3 is basically a "sequel" to the Ciri arc of the novels.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #30314 on: November 07, 2017, 06:10:40 PM »

I used to be able to 1 CC Ghouls N Ghosts on Genesis, both times through.  Now I can barely get to stage 3 on the beginner difficulty.

:six:

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #30315 on: November 07, 2017, 06:58:40 PM »
I used to be able to do it as well. Then a few years ago I was like "Alright kids, let dad show you what gaming skills you had to have when we were kids" I proceeded to die everywhere.
que

« Reply #30316 on: November 08, 2017, 02:02:39 AM »
Got to chapter 2 of Cold Steel II. This game feels like an apology from Falcom for making me play Cold Steel 1.  :rejoice

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #30317 on: November 08, 2017, 08:51:40 AM »
Now push that HP to 4000 and start mapping. :3

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #30318 on: November 08, 2017, 11:13:05 AM »
Castlevania: Simon's Destiny pretty cool, though the bat hitbox is fucked!

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #30319 on: November 08, 2017, 11:35:11 AM »
Yeah, you have to be really close to them.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #30320 on: November 08, 2017, 06:41:46 PM »

The GNG fangame Maldita Castilla by Locomalito is better than most of the GNG games tbh. I haven't played the steam version (which costs money) but the freeware one from 2012 is excellent (like all the Locomalito games!? man's a beast :bow2)

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #30321 on: November 08, 2017, 07:34:59 PM »
Drunkenly playing ninja gaiden on og xbox, for my mate who thinks im bad at this game.

https://mixer.com/silphonicaa

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #30322 on: November 08, 2017, 07:44:45 PM »
Inverted camera controls are the devil.

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #30323 on: November 08, 2017, 08:00:01 PM »
 :maf

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #30324 on: November 08, 2017, 08:43:09 PM »

They're what's holding me back from going back to Mario Sunshine. Nin-ten-"we fucking know what's best for you"-d'oh doesn't seem to have an option for reversing the L/R on the camera.

paprikastaude

« Reply #30325 on: November 08, 2017, 09:58:33 PM »
They are the best when they are non-optional in out-of-the-blue shooting final bosses in non-shooting games like Devil May Cry and Beyond Good & Evil  :doge

archnemesis

« Reply #30326 on: November 09, 2017, 12:53:39 AM »

They're what's holding me back from going back to Mario Sunshine. Nin-ten-"we fucking know what's best for you"-d'oh doesn't seem to have an option for reversing the L/R on the camera.
If you use an emulator then you can remap the controls. I had to do that to enjoy the King's Field series.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #30327 on: November 09, 2017, 06:39:31 AM »
For some reason I got way more into Medal of Honor: Airborne than I should've. The cutscenes were a pretty good effort for their time, and this shit is a clear precursor to the mega AAA CoD stuff we're so accustomed to now. Were the old CoD games this cinematic? Maybe this game is emulating that? Who knows lol.

The maps are really good in this game. There's a bunch of objectives but you get airdropped back in every time you die so you can try and land closer or on things to get an advantage over the baddies. The first few missions are general multiplayer game feeling maps, but the last level holy shit. Its basically a massive maze like fortress you can land anywhere on and get exploring/killing. Feels like a Zelda dungeon almost. Maybe I've just been playing bad/old games for too long lol. Its definitely really cool and inventive mission design for this style of game.

Anyhow the game is surprisingly good despite the dated mechanics.

I also have a SNES Classic Mini which I have played on for 30 minutes. My mission is to finally smash the SNES classics I never played. Main ones being Super Metroid and FFVI

Corporal

« Reply #30328 on: November 09, 2017, 07:42:09 AM »
MariO is pretty fun, brehs. Having to play through the 2D Mario sequences with the analogue stick, however, sucks. :-\
!list

« Reply #30329 on: November 09, 2017, 08:20:43 AM »
Started playing A Hat in Time. Got a bit into the second level and solved a murder. This game is so cute, I'm loving it so far.

Also starting to get really pissed at the gacha bullshit in Danganronpa V3 bonus modes. And I might pick up Sonic Forces because I hate myself.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #30330 on: November 09, 2017, 01:52:26 PM »
I met a group while playing Friday the 13th, so I expect to be playing that a lot more. I started on Lego City Undercover and it's charming af. We'll see if I can stick to it.
reckt

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #30331 on: November 09, 2017, 04:25:01 PM »
Started playing A Hat in Time. Got a bit into the second level and solved a murder. This game is so cute, I'm loving it so far.
:trigger mods help

benjipwns

« Reply #30332 on: November 09, 2017, 04:58:03 PM »
For some reason I got way more into Medal of Honor: Airborne than I should've. The cutscenes were a pretty good effort for their time, and this shit is a clear precursor to the mega AAA CoD stuff we're so accustomed to now. Were the old CoD games this cinematic? Maybe this game is emulating that? Who knows lol.

The maps are really good in this game. There's a bunch of objectives but you get airdropped back in every time you die so you can try and land closer or on things to get an advantage over the baddies. The first few missions are general multiplayer game feeling maps, but the last level holy shit. Its basically a massive maze like fortress you can land anywhere on and get exploring/killing. Feels like a Zelda dungeon almost. Maybe I've just been playing bad/old games for too long lol. Its definitely really cool and inventive mission design for this style of game.

Anyhow the game is surprisingly good despite the dated mechanics.
Are you playing this on a console?

Anyway, Call of Duty's developers were a group that split off of the Medal of Honor PC developers, Medal of Honor was the franchise that originally began the cinematic EVENT moments in military FPSes. The PS1 games actually did some of this but were technologically limited. The PC game Allied Assault did the D-Day landings in a scale that's still sorta impressive today. The PS2/Xbox generation of console games essentially tried to rip this off but they weren't ever powerful enough or the devs weren't good enough to pull it off as well as the PC versions. Meanwhile the AA devs split and went to produce the Vietnam set Men of Honor (which is underrated, especially for the fact that they hid random Vietcong traps in the jungles of the levels so you could die suddenly and horribly and had you questionably attack villages) or Call of Duty (then 2 and then 4: MW which basically became the CoD linear path to EVENTS we know and love) while EALA produced Pacific Assault for the PC which post-titles opens with you experiencing the attack on Pearl Harbor and further Pacific set major events such as Okinawa and Guadalcanal, I forget which is the opener D-Day equivalent that you storm the beaches of and get pinned down and shot SO YOU FLASHBACK.

When the 360/PS3 came around they no longer needed to produce inferior console versions, they could upgrade them to the PC standard. Airborne started out on an iteration of Criterion's Black engine but they realized it wasn't going to work and restarted development in UE3, possibly multiple times. By the time they got the game out not only was WWII FPS excitement dying down but the game played more like the earlier titles and did not fully take into account some of the more realistic importations the genre had picked up like iron sights.

All that history said, the original idea was conceived off of a Allied Assault expansion mission (which I think the producers/designers were involved in, as they didn't folllow 2015) in which you did the paratrooper drop (with like three spots you could land at) and fought your way to other soldiers. (Band of Brothers did an episode like this I think.) Their goal was to recreate many of those paratrooper drops, but also have an AI and objective system in which you could land literally anywhere and tackle objectives, this of course limited the size of the maps as you note, and also made some areas instant death drops while others will put you nearer to squads who can assist. The AI was also supposed to take into account the maps and react accordingly to it. (In the multiplayer this is actually preserved, if you're on the Allies, you drop, I think invincible until you hit the ground so you can't get gunned out of the air. If you're on Axis, you spawn on the ground at one of their defensive spots.) It works better on some maps than others.

At one time, early early in development, I think it's mentioned in the Game Informer preview where all the screenshots are prerenders not even from the then engine because it was like three years before the game eventually came out. They were going to have missions where you play a guy on the ground of some sort like say a French Resistance dude (or lady? keeping with the franchise's past), in generally stealth-like missions to "setup" the level for the drop. And then depending on what you accomplished with him, it'd change what you experienced post-drop. Like say taking out a gun emplacement, or taking out some search lights, or even things like putting more supplies around the map. But you'd basically only have a side arm and die easily if caught so you couldn't wipe out everyone pre-drop or anything like that.

I remember people on NeoGAF and elsewhere not believing the Final Mission, including reviewers, who thought it was totally made up. But no, the Nazi's did build those fuckers:

I have a fondness for Airborne and the 2010 short lived reboot game as they did seem very different in tone than where CoD went despite CoD's premise being the whole YOU'RE PART OF A SQUAD, NOT A HERO. Warfighter gets nuts trying to chase Call of Duty rather than holding to a semi-realism (but not hardcore like ARMA or something) the PC versions of the MoH games always seemed to, for their time, although the typhoon and flooding of the city in the Philippines is one of those sections I wish was in a better game. If only because more AI enemies died not understanding the level was flooding and dangerous to everyone than I killed and I still have no idea if that was intentional or broken. :lol

I ask about consoles because I've been wondering if the PC version has got a fix around for Windows 10 out yet. Game is one of those that has the stupid "check" for a newer Windows version than 98 or ME, which apparently 8+ are not. Maybe there's a crack for this like Crysis has. I suppose I could find out for myself. IIRC, Airborne was one of the first DX10 games so it got shitty performance reviews when it came out.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #30333 on: November 09, 2017, 06:17:47 PM »
Played CrashLander on my Mac which is only notable for a couple reasons:
  • It supports VR, and clearly the look-controls would benefit from camera movement linked to one's head
  • I like Lunar Lander type games; I loved the original when it was in arcades, but could not get very far
  • It's a game on a Mac; there aren't very many

If you use an emulator then you can remap the controls. I had to do that to enjoy the King's Field series.
I'm playing on the original Gamecube hardware. My old NGC died, but I wanted to play more GBA Advance Wars and I've got the undercarriage attachment, so I bought a used NGC for ¥1900.

I met a group while playing Friday the 13th, so I expect to be playing that a lot more. I started on Lego City Undercover and it's charming af. We'll see if I can stick to it.
I'm waiting on the price to come down /juuuuuuust/ a little more on Lego City Undercover before I pick it up, but since I hear it's basically GTA in Lego, I'm destined to play it. I just can't rationalize it at its current used price with three unfinished Lego games still in my backlog.  :-\

benjipwns

« Reply #30334 on: November 09, 2017, 07:17:46 PM »
I just picked that up for $15 from GamersGate, dunno why so many people hate those guys and claim they hate women when they have such hott deals.

I didn't let the other unfinished LEGO titles I have stop me. I got a bunch of them for $3 each anyway in one of those "buy [Z] save %, buy [Z+1] save % + 15%" type sales where I bought five of the dumb things. Or anything else. I really should have waited for $10 but whatever.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #30335 on: November 09, 2017, 08:33:15 PM »
I just picked that up for $15 from GamersGate, dunno why so many people hate those guys and claim they hate women when they have such hott deals.

I didn't let the other unfinished LEGO titles I have stop me. I got a bunch of them for $3 each anyway in one of those "buy [Z] save %, buy [Z+1] save % + 15%" type sales where I bought five of the dumb things. Or anything else. I really should have waited for $10 but whatever.

It's still ¥4000-5000 here on PS4. If I ever see it for 3000, I'll bite.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #30336 on: November 09, 2017, 08:43:17 PM »
Been cooping my way through New Super Mario Bros U with the GF and having a great time with it. The solid platforming and Super Mario World lite world map are definitely making up for the awful presentation and wah wah soundtrack.
zzzzz

Bebpo

« Reply #30337 on: November 10, 2017, 04:08:39 AM »
Tried out Just Cause 3 finally. The gameplay loop is still fun and every activity/mission tends to leave you at a new settlement to liberate. The wing suit is a nice addition and some of the mini-game challenges are fun (others not). Game certainly looks nice and has more effort on story for better or worse. But man, the repetition is A LOT. I remember JC2 was as well, but it was a pretty original refreshing and beautiful game so the repetition was worth it. JC3 doesn't feel that different (at least without all the locked upgrade skills), and after liberating about 12 settlements feeling pretty much like got my JC3 fill. The whole "search around the settlement for the items to liberate" like billboards and stuff is already getting kinda old. Would like it more if you just had to cause X amount of chaos and destruction in any way you want.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #30338 on: November 10, 2017, 11:22:13 AM »
I'll be honest, I'm having a hard time getting deep into Stardew Valley I gotta invest more time into I think, but right now there's just other games that have me more interested. It's not that I don't enjoy these kinds of games, Rune Factory is amongst my favorite series and I love Harvest moon. But I think perhaps it's just that it's not as streamlined? It certainly seems like it does the character interactions and variety better than RF/HM but everything else is not as polished/streamlined so getting to a point where you can comfortably traverse the game takes longer and I've played games where it was just so much simpler.
que

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #30339 on: November 10, 2017, 01:41:02 PM »
New COD's campaign is cool. AI is fucktarded, but it has been in this series for a minute now.
reckt

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #30340 on: November 11, 2017, 02:23:44 AM »

Are you playing this on a console?

Yeah, it was free on Xbox Games with Gold a month or two back.

Thanks for the write up and history! Really interesting stuff.

And Der Flaktum is real  :o

benjipwns

« Reply #30341 on: November 11, 2017, 03:35:44 AM »
Yeah, the Nazi's built eight huge ones, many of which are still standing in some form, and had planned at least twenty more before things went bad resource wise. (Also someone probably realized they were blatant targets from some distance.) They also built hundreds of smaller ones (to hold say one gun) that mostly were blasted off the face of the earth by the allied bombing but you can find some still around Yurop like the Martellos that are around the UK and its former colonies in case France decides to invade across the channel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flak_tower has a list of them all.

edit: oh hey, that page has a link to the martellos at the bottom: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martello_tower#Martello_towers_around_the_world

Corporal

« Reply #30342 on: November 11, 2017, 06:42:16 AM »
Munich has its share of (non-flak) bunkers. Those things are a real headache for city planners. They're basically indestructible, but living or working inside them is a rather special experience as well - if there are even any windows, the windowsill is measured in meters and as such the light influx is minimal and the visual aspect is completely lacking. Also, the resilient construction means you can't just rip out the interior and redesign the room layout. Plus, thanks to the oppressive design and stale air inside you are never quite at ease.

Demolishing them takes lots of extremely loud work over extended timespans, so even that isn't really feasible.

At least they're rather stubby small-ish things that blend into the cityscape since most houses reach around their height.

I'm just thankful we didn't get any of the eight monstrous Flaktürme that were planned for us. Would've been a complete and utter destruction of our somewhat beautiful city.

Anyway, back to games.

Still running around in MariO like a spaz, but the honeymoon period is over. Getting to challenges from the nearest flag is starting to become tedious, so unless I need moons to progress I have cut down on exploration. The various art styles clashing against each other is kind of an eye sore, as well. The fuck.

Also, waggle. Damn you, Nintendo. I don't want to shake my entire switch to jump higher or get a growth boost. You have four fucking face buttons but waste them on only two functions. Arrrrgh.

Still addicted to the game, though. It's fun, what can I say. It's a Mario game.
!list

paprikastaude

« Reply #30343 on: November 11, 2017, 08:57:57 AM »
I live near a flak tower that was turned into an aquatic zoo.

Bebpo

« Reply #30344 on: November 11, 2017, 12:18:22 PM »
Munich has its share of (non-flak) bunkers. Those things are a real headache for city planners. They're basically indestructible, but living or working inside them is a rather special experience as well - if there are even any windows, the windowsill is measured in meters and as such the light influx is minimal and the visual aspect is completely lacking. Also, the resilient construction means you can't just rip out the interior and redesign the room layout. Plus, thanks to the oppressive design and stale air inside you are never quite at ease.

Demolishing them takes lots of extremely loud work over extended timespans, so even that isn't really feasible.

At least they're rather stubby small-ish things that blend into the cityscape since most houses reach around their height.

I'm just thankful we didn't get any of the eight monstrous Flaktürme that were planned for us. Would've been a complete and utter destruction of our somewhat beautiful city.

Anyway, back to games.

Still running around in MariO like a spaz, but the honeymoon period is over. Getting to challenges from the nearest flag is starting to become tedious, so unless I need moons to progress I have cut down on exploration. The various art styles clashing against each other is kind of an eye sore, as well. The fuck.

Also, waggle. Damn you, Nintendo. I don't want to shake my entire switch to jump higher or get a growth boost. You have four fucking face buttons but waste them on only two functions. Arrrrgh.

Still addicted to the game, though. It's fun, what can I say. It's a Mario game.

Very interesting info about bunkers. I had no clue they still existed today and were so indestructible that demolition is a problem.

Corporal

« Reply #30345 on: November 11, 2017, 02:20:29 PM »
Very interesting info about bunkers. I had no clue they still existed today and were so indestructible that demolition is a problem.
Well, they can be demolished, but their walls are easily in excess of a meter thick, and it's usually heavily reinforced concrete and often specially compacted/treated so you have to arduously chip away bits and pieces in between bouts of welding/flexing.
Normal houses and industrial buildings are complete pushovers in comparison. You just take away a bit of structural integrity and the whole thing collapses. These things were expressly designed and built to withstand just that kind of punishment.
Add to that the fact that they are usually right next to civilian buildings and major roads (e.g. the circular "Mittlerer Ring" speedway that is pretty much the major artery for traffic in Munich). Can't really use explosives for a one-shot kill, can't really nibble at them for extended amounts of time.

However, it's not even half the headache of the "Blindgänger" (duds, Allied Forces bombs that failed to explode - in military parlance: UXO, unexploded ordnance). About 10-20% of all allied bombs in WW2 didn't explode, which amounts to around 135000 to 270000 metric tons of bombs. Over the years, Germany has whittled that down to an estimated 80000 remaining duds, give or take a few thousand. Especially annoying are those with delayed fuzes (2-144 hours, to catch disposal units, spread terror amongst civilians and hinder repairs) because they were and still are notoriously unreliable.

Fun fact: Experts estimate that one to two bombs explode on their own every year. Like the one unearthed at a depth of seven meters in Göttingen in 2010. It was found during normal construction work, authorities were notified, civilians were in the process of being evacuated and the bomb disposal team was nearby, still gearing up, business as usual so far. Then it blew up on its own. 1100lbs/500kg, so quite a big one. Only three of the bomb disposal unit died, six were badly shredded but survived. No other victims - however, that was a major blow to our operations since these experts are exceedingly rare and hard to train (and had 20+ years of experience). A year later, another expert lost his hand to a fuze that exploded just as he had extracted it from the main body. It wasn't even one of the many models with trapped fuzes that will explode when you try to remove them using standard procedure. It just blew up right then and there, completely randomly. These things are vicious to this day, and will continue to pose a threat to Germans even in the decades to come. 

Every few years we find one of those things and have to evacuate a huge chunk of the city around it. Very rarely they have no other way but tactically blow the thing up (example: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwabinger_7 ). Occasionally, an unlucky construction worker accidentally sets one of those bad boys off, as well. Digging in the dirt in German cities is serious business.

War is not fun, peeps. Not even more than 50 years later. I hope y'all are suitably ashamed of yourselves when you play them military shooting games. ;)

//andnowyouknow.gif
!list

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #30346 on: November 11, 2017, 02:25:59 PM »

Meanwhile the AA devs split and went to produce the Vietnam set Men of Honor (which is underrated, especially for the fact that they hid random Vietcong traps in the jungles of the levels so you could die suddenly and horribly and had you questionably attack villages)

Teaching fps mechanics through american football was cute as well. Should see if the game works on the 360.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #30347 on: November 11, 2017, 03:06:58 PM »
Aw, alright, no maps then. How about an alt with optimized/efficient pathing? I can already see room for improvements. >:3

I'm currently playing PoE as well (the 10-day Turmoil event), so everything else is on hold. Not much to say, besides that softcore is strange to adjust to. I felt absolutely no apprehension doing dangerous content and my heart rate didn't increase in near death situations. I actually miss it. :lol
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Six deaths so far, without exception due to stupid decision making/apathy.
[close]

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #30348 on: November 11, 2017, 03:08:46 PM »
Men of Valor didn't work on the 360. :(

So I just hooked up the original xbox instead. Edit: People can add Dean Shepard to the black main characters in games list.

Bebpo

« Reply #30349 on: November 11, 2017, 09:23:49 PM »
I don't know why I keep playing Just Cause 3, it's literally the same thing over and over again. There are 130 settlements to liberate and they all generally play the same and look the same.
But I find myself still playing because big exploding things are fun  :doge

Also, spent like 2 hours in DQXI's casino. I like videogame casinos because they teach me never to gamble in real casinos because I will lose without save/reloading irl.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 09:29:35 PM by Bebpo »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #30350 on: November 12, 2017, 02:26:09 AM »
Exploding things IS FUN. I enjoyed the hell out of x360 JC1 (1000/1000GS), JC2 (need to finish), and have JC3 on deck on PS4. I haven't found a magic way to ensure victory, and I tend to play things safe. I'll work hard to destroy SAM installations from a helicopter, and try to do as much damage as I can while bobbing and weaving in those fragile little infinite ammo factories. If they'd limit the ammo like they do when I'm on-foot, I'd play differently.

But i know what you mean, it's easy to see how visible the gameplay loop is, and the damned size of the map exacerbates it. You can see how much they're trying to fill the game time. It is also a bit of a collect-a-thon, so I'll likely never get all the trophies or GS from 2 and 3.

Horizon Zero Dawn — I'm liking how much they let me progress the story at my own pace, and have enough Side Missions and Errands to keep me interested. I'm going through the story at a snail's pace, mopping up most side stuff before progressing the story at all. I just finished the Grave Hoard mission, so you can tell how slowly I'm going. Still really enjoying its sense of place and backstory.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #30351 on: November 12, 2017, 02:31:20 AM »
I have never liked the Just Cause games. The second was beautiful and I understand some of the mods are crazy but the gameplay is only fun for like an hour.
reckt

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #30352 on: November 12, 2017, 09:46:42 AM »
No Xbox and don't really feel like playing through a 40 hour ok game to get to a better game. I guess I'll have to look for a synopsis or something.
If you have W3 on PC, there's now a fan-made solution:
https://kotaku.com/remastered-prologue-of-the-first-witcher-game-looks-ama-1820360845

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #30353 on: November 13, 2017, 01:25:07 AM »
I have never liked the Just Cause games. The second was beautiful and I understand some of the mods are crazy but the gameplay is only fun for like an hour.

how i felt as well, except add another hour because of a scorpion skin/mod i installed

Corporal

« Reply #30354 on: November 13, 2017, 06:45:55 AM »
Salmon Run in Splatoon 2 is actually a pretty fun horde mode implementation. If it weren't for the unfortunate fact that (at least in Local  CoOp) a botched run nets you zero benefits I'd like to play it much more often. As it is, though, the thought of grinding up map, wave, enemy/boss knowledge and my own skills by essentially wasting a whole bunch of time is not THAT appealing.

And no, matchmaking with random fucktards can get bent. I'm way beyond being accepting of any tomfoolery in multiplayer games, especially in this instance where payout seems to be all-or-nothing and small errors or loadout mismatches can doom the entire team. On top of the time-limited access to the mode, I mean. Kindly sod off with that,  Nintendo.

Despite all of my griping, though: it's fun.

Also, since I'm already whining:
MariO CoOp is kinda *really* meh. Sure, you get infinite Cappy flight time and distance, but otherwise it's just a big nothingburger of shared camera control (and Cappy launch control, why!) sadness. Some potential, but only for really dedicated buddies that do not mind that one player is going to be idle 99% of time while needing to be fairly disciplined during the remaining 1%. Oh, and who accept that any Amiibo related functionality is disabled (meaning no free heart expansion/invincibility/Moon search - which would help unskilled, sleepy or drunk players that would be otherwise attracted to such a mode).

Ended up watching my friend fuck around in Destiny 2 for a bit and later even rolled an alt for funsies while slightly boozed up. Oh man. Naked mole rat space marines (and a suspiciously familiar star destroyer spaceship). Reeeeeally. And it's still Destiny 1 for all intents and purposes, from what I can see at a glance. Especially the character creator and, well, nearly everything else. Da fugg. What's Bungie been doing all this time? Drugs and whores? And people pay for that? Sigh. I feel old. Someone get all these easily distracted chumps off my planet, please. After separating them from their money and giving it to me, obviously. Do Space-X trial runs or something.
!list

Svejk

« Reply #30355 on: November 13, 2017, 11:39:33 AM »
Thanks to this thread, I picked up Observer.  :)

I'm going through a Cyberpunk phase atm...  Over the weekend I was going back and forth between Observer, and NG+ of Deus Ex: MD.

Observer is nice and atmospheric.. get some good Snatcher vibes from it...(just replace the Snatcher action with horror elements).   Deus Ex: MD is still fun to play...  got the Season Pass, so I'm going through some of Jenson's Stories too.  I'm certainly rusty and need to get back into form for those Stories... they've got some challenge to them.  Good stuff though.  Deep, base infiltration...  the shit that was TOTALLY lacking in MGSV...

To top off the Cyberpunk phase, I'm playing through Shadowrun Returns on my phone..  never played any of them back in the day, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Bebpo

« Reply #30356 on: November 13, 2017, 12:31:10 PM »

how i felt as well, except add another hour because of a scorpion skin/mod i installed

In 2006 DCharlie posted a gaf thread of photos from Just Cause 1 in the sky with a helicopter. Was gorgeous and got me to pick up the game. Spent a lot of time flying up high and parachuting down and just enjoying the sunset. Game was ok, but it was a gorgeous nature/environment game and that was enough for me. Played through the whole game.

(found the thread, though the pic links are dead: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122010)

Then Just Cause 2 came out and it was even bigger and looked even better and had a nice motion blur for X360 launch-era and had a hookshot and you could do wacky stuff and surf cars and fly around non-stop and explode things. Yeah it was repetitive, but it was a lot of fun and looked insanely gorgeous in a nature environment appreciation way. Was very ahead of its time visually. There also wasn't a ton of big non-linear sandbox games at that time so it was still pretty fresh and something different. Played through the whole game and did pretty much everything.

Now Just Cause 3 comes out and it looks nice, but not that big of a jump from JC2 and compared to other games it's just pretty standard looking and is missing the wow factor in visuals. Gameplay hasn't changed much, it's even more repetitive, half your skills are locked away between mini-games, and there's some light F2P mechanics. Gameplay-wise there's nothing new or original besides being able to fly faster than parachuting and now there's been dozens of sandbox games out there and the competition is stiffer. Still fun to play, but kinda average game.

benjipwns

« Reply #30357 on: November 13, 2017, 04:09:16 PM »
Your timeline is a bit off, Bebpo.

Just Cause was 360 launch era up-port that added stuff like extra motion blur. PC version is a PS2 port at heart though IIRC.

Just Cause 2 had a number of PC graphical extras. That definitely made 3 not look as impressive to me. Especially since it still had a visibly non-smooth LOD system. I accepted that in 2. Water is pretty though, 2 on PC had nice accelerated water overall especially at a distance, but 3's got it nice everywhere, especially up close and on the coasts and such.

Agreeing with you regarding all the 3 stuff gameplay wise, my favorite part was when a mission had me blow up a giant bridge then twenty minutes later I came back to the area and it was rebuilt fully. :doge

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #30358 on: November 13, 2017, 05:47:29 PM »
Drunkenly playing ninja gaiden on og xbox, for my mate who thinks im bad at this game.

https://mixer.com/silphonicaa

continue'd

Bebpo

« Reply #30359 on: November 13, 2017, 07:52:39 PM »
Your timeline is a bit off, Bebpo.

Just Cause was 360 launch era up-port that added stuff like extra motion blur. PC version is a PS2 port at heart though IIRC.

Just Cause 2 had a number of PC graphical extras. That definitely made 3 not look as impressive to me. Especially since it still had a visibly non-smooth LOD system. I accepted that in 2. Water is pretty though, 2 on PC had nice accelerated water overall especially at a distance, but 3's got it nice everywhere, especially up close and on the coasts and such.

Agreeing with you regarding all the 3 stuff gameplay wise, my favorite part was when a mission had me blow up a giant bridge then twenty minutes later I came back to the area and it was rebuilt fully. :doge

Woah, X360 was out in 2006? Feels so long ago. I looked it up though and you're right on that.