Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3558641 times)

demi and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #31140 on: May 15, 2018, 12:38:03 PM »
Good job man, nice footage and a great bossfight! But really, aren't you doing yourself a disservice by not using useful moves from the other stances? At least that's what I got from it is that while staying in one stance is no problem, you are able to use different moves even in high stance which would do substantially more damage. Or in low form you have moves that can deplete stamina from an opponent.

Oh well however you want to play is fine :P. Might I suggest re-rolling as a light armor ninja and using low/mid/high stance and also the ki pulse. How did you get around the Ki draining puddles that the bosses sometime create?

Either way great fight, good game.
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31141 on: May 15, 2018, 12:57:15 PM »
I think Nioh is a bit easier than Ng but thats probably because the camera fucking sucks in NG.

I love both games very much tho. Ill respond to ur big post in a bit haha on ny phone now
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31142 on: May 15, 2018, 04:32:45 PM »
Guys, is Nioh harder/ easier than Ninja Gaiden games on Xbox?
Not sure how it is post patch but before it was patched Ninja Gaiden 2 was a lovely mess of a game.
At some point so many enemies appeared that it nearly blew up your Xbox 360 and the only you could see was the blood of your enemies spattering about.

I would say Ninja Gaiden Black is the most balanced/fair of them all. Ninja Gaiden 2 is just all over the place in terms of difficulty but the gore effects are lovely.  :rejoice

Ninja Gaiden 3 was like a walk in the park compared to the first two games. Or they made it easier on Wii U.

I still need to pick-up Nioh sometime
🤴

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #31143 on: May 15, 2018, 04:53:03 PM »
BB's DLC has the best bosses but not the best areas/ levels.

Ludwig and Orphan are legendary-tier bosses. Like Ornstein & Smough. Maneater. Midir. Maiden Astraea. Fume Knight.

Stuff of legends, man.
Maybe some day. Honestly, everyone went on about how hard Bloodborne was, but now that I'm done I had a hard time with Father Gasgas, and Gehrmann. The wet nurse and Rom both just took a few tries to figure out, Rom especially since it was a different kind of fight. Everything to that point had been "get in there! Be aggressive! Attack! Fight! Kill!" Rom was "Be patient" which once I figured that out he was down in one try.  But really the rest of it was OK. I hated the last 2 areas just because I felt they were sorta troll-esque. But still I was expecting much more of a challenge in the main game and felt I really only got it out of two bosses, Father GasGas was hard because it was the first real fight. After that , it wasn't until Gehrmann that I was like "So this is what everyone is talking about." Of course, I haven't played the DLC. Might pick it up when/if it's on sale.

Right now I'm going back to Dragon Quest Heroes II.

I was in your position, beat the game without doing the DLC. Ended up doing NG+ and the DLC, lots of new weapons to use. If you're burnt out that's fine, but the first and last bosses are legitimately some of the best in the entire series

More importantly the time commitment to get to the DLC (just beating Vicar) and the run to the first boss is really short

bluemax

« Reply #31144 on: May 17, 2018, 12:02:21 AM »
saw some of Lucienne's Quest on twitch recently and it looked pretty fun! not a classic or anything but a pretty solid-looking game from that era.

that translation for xak tho...i've been seeing shit like that more and more in translations and ugh. it's rare enough that a game gets fan-translated, now we gotta hope that a game gets fan-retranslated?

I was watching someone play a fan translated version of G.O.D. for SNES and when they got to Brooklyn there were NPCs who said "Make Brooklyn Great Again".

So yeah.
NO

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31145 on: May 17, 2018, 06:56:09 AM »
Playing this shit lately

Goddamn  :mouf
What

Svejk

« Reply #31146 on: May 17, 2018, 09:49:43 AM »
Playing this shit lately

Daaaaamn...  that's the emulator of my dreams!!  That's literally stepping into childhood memories.   :preach

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now if they can add in a bunch of pimply faced dudes walking around with checkerboard shirts, mullets (usually huddled around whatever fighting game) and a douche bag tech who gets pissed off every time you tell him the machine ate my quarter, that'd be the cherry on top.
[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31147 on: May 17, 2018, 10:14:26 AM »
Playing this shit lately

Can you zoom in more or go full-screen when you play the games?  Looks kinda stupid to have a tiny little screen to play on while wearing VR crap.
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31148 on: May 17, 2018, 12:49:18 PM »
Yeah you can zoom in if you press the right stick which makes the games sorta full screen. This guy doesnt really show it off well but I'm mighty impressed. Too bad I dont have a vr headset yet.

There's a SNES as well and gameboy games lying around. You need to get a pack from Reddit to get all the stuff set up like it is in that video.
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31149 on: May 17, 2018, 01:05:22 PM »
Yeah you can zoom in if you press the right stick which makes the games sorta full screen. This guy doesnt really show it off well but I'm mighty impressed. Too bad I dont have a vr headset yet.

There's a SNES as well and gameboy games lying around. You need to get a pack from Reddit to get all the stuff set up like it is in that video.

Wait...what?  Why bother then?  ???
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31150 on: May 17, 2018, 01:13:22 PM »
I just enjoy it as a emulation thing :)
What

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31151 on: May 17, 2018, 01:58:13 PM »
so I'm playing Dragon Quest Heroes II on the PS4. I'm not a fan of Musou games but this is one of the better ones. I am surprised at the level of content they have. I'm only in a few hours and already I'm impressed by how much stuff they crammed in, and I don't even have half of the playable characters yet.

On mobile, I'm thinking of either playing Shining Force 2, I've played it but never finished it, and want to follow that up with Shining Force 3 (if I can get a Saturn emulator to work). Or, I could replay Castlevania: SOTN. In missing my victorian horror fix SOTN seems like it would be good to revisit.

Any suggestiong? Shining Force 2 or SOTN?
que

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31152 on: May 17, 2018, 10:19:31 PM »
Been playing Lucienne's Quest... it's pretty fun how quick paced and snappy it is. Reminds me a bit like Guardian's Crusade in that way. While the game doesn't hold up at all graphically (being a fully texture mapped polygonal game, from 1995, for the 3DO), I'm still enjoying it.

Not too much of a story, just go from one town to another doing quests, wander the world map which has a tad too many encounters, and then go through the dungeons, which have fixed encounters and some interesting design (like opening up shortcuts). Battles play out almost like a strategy RPG, you pick where you want to move, then go in a straight line (or at an angle) toward your enemy... you may have obstacles that you (or the enemy) has to destroy before engaging in combat with each other. Magic has different ranges and different levels of power, and your main character (a young airheaded girl named Lucienne) is primarily a mage.
^_^

Svejk

« Reply #31153 on: May 18, 2018, 08:52:48 AM »
Any suggestiong? Shining Force 2 or SOTN?
I'm actually playing through SF2 myself.  I'll be honest, I never fully played through a Shining game. (I have the same problem with DQ games too.. I start them, then get bored)  That old Camelot charm aged fine, IMO.
Playing on mobile too?  I have a stanky bitch of a time playing action games using touch screen.  :doge

kingv

« Reply #31154 on: May 19, 2018, 09:44:10 AM »
I actually agree GOW 2018 starts strong but pretty much is boring for about half the game.

paprikastaude

« Reply #31155 on: May 19, 2018, 10:02:21 AM »
There's already 6 normal God of War games and it's obvious that they didn't really have any ideas left anyway. I mean, I've played 3 of them and it would be no hard task for me to predict how the others play out. And I suspect none of them ever had level design as good as that desert temple in the first. The new thing is good enough whenever it shuts up.  :trumps Not a 10 or anything, but the series was always way overhyped.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #31156 on: May 19, 2018, 01:06:45 PM »
Playing through ac:o and i was surprised how...normal and actually compassionate bayek and aya's reunion/relationship is?

ubisoft has got some good mocap/dialog directors.

Idk, I wasn't ready for something so tender in a murder simulator

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 01:21:11 PM by toku »

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #31157 on: May 19, 2018, 01:34:46 PM »
Finished High Hell. Enjoyable but ultimately lacking depth, lots of style over substance with 20 levels that can be blown through rather quickly.

It isn't good enough to be labeled Hotline Miami reimagined as a twitch shooter, but that's an accurate summation of it stylistically, gameplay included.

Maybe a more fleshed out story would help, Hotline Miami was at least intriguing in this regard, but more importantly there's too few enemy types and environmental variation.

Not enough levels either, as most can be completed so fast. There's only one weapon to use as well which adds to the monotony.

While I sort of like its ugly aesthetic, I wish it made use of a greater color palette, especially within its almost entirely grey environments.

Got it for free with Twitch Prime so no complaining there. If I spent $5 or less on it I'd be satisfied.

If your weights are too heavy, just eat less ya dummy. For Your Health.

kingv

« Reply #31158 on: May 19, 2018, 02:27:18 PM »
Correction, AC is actually a murder simulator-simulator.

Bebpo

« Reply #31159 on: May 19, 2018, 02:32:09 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand done in 94 hours.

(Image removed from quote.)

I need Nioh 2 ASAP.

As always Borys, I respect your dedication to good rpg gaming. What's next on your list?

I still need to get to Nioh...

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31160 on: May 19, 2018, 02:34:55 PM »
Played some FX Unit Yuki, a homebrew PC Engine CD game that recently released. It's a love letter to PC Engine games, from the battle with an enemy that's supposed to be representative of Sega, to levels based off Adventure Island, Cotton, and Castlevania (so far). A bit of clunky programming and hit detection, as expected for a homebrew game, but the music is rockin.

^_^

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31161 on: May 19, 2018, 03:04:43 PM »
Borys, you ever play Contact on the Nintendo DS? Thought that was a fairly interesting rpg with the writing chops of Earthbound.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #31162 on: May 19, 2018, 04:21:48 PM »
Finished High Hell. Enjoyable but ultimately lacking depth, lots of style over substance with 20 levels that can be blown through rather quickly.

It isn't good enough to be labeled Hotline Miami reimagined as a twitch shooter, but that's an accurate summation of it stylistically, gameplay included.

Maybe a more fleshed out story would help, Hotline Miami was at least intriguing in this regard, but more importantly there's too few enemy types and environmental variation.

Not enough levels either, as most can be completed so fast. There's only one weapon to use as well which adds to the monotony.

While I sort of like its ugly aesthetic, I wish it made use of a greater color palette, especially within its almost entirely grey environments.

Got it for free with Twitch Prime so no complaining there. If I spent $5 or less on it I'd be satisfied.

If your weights are too heavy, just eat less ya dummy. For Your Health.

I enjoyed it but there is a serious dearth of content here. I dunno, it needs just a little more variety gameplay wise and another chapter or two or something. The game is fun and I like how stylized it is but it's blink-and-you'll miss it short. I get that it's built for speedrunning but still

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #31163 on: May 19, 2018, 06:56:01 PM »

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #31164 on: May 19, 2018, 09:47:23 PM »
Started Hitman (2016): Definitive Edition.

This is DEFINITELY classic Hitman and I'm going to sink a ton of hours into this. The prologue/tutorial alone was fantastic. PS4 sounds like a jet engine when playing but it's worth it (and I'll just throw on my Golds).

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #31165 on: May 19, 2018, 11:13:52 PM »
sapienza and hokkaido  :lawd

god-tier level design

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31166 on: May 20, 2018, 04:05:08 AM »

Idk, I wasn't ready for something so tender in a murder simulator

Talking about the meat.
[close]

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #31167 on: May 20, 2018, 04:24:09 AM »
Why would someone make something like GOW3 and think they need to make a boring Naughty Dog game with that character  :stahp
Because he basically didn't. Cory setup the Titan-Olympus War in II, then bailed out to work on Mad Max for years before that fell apart, and working his way back to Sony to reboot God of War for them when they let him do it by involving other god pantheons and also this kid thing. (Also, they couldn't ask Jaffe.)

Jaffe left after the first game because he didn't see how you could continue it after Kratos not only had redeemed himself, gotten his revenge AND become the God of War. As those were all the narrative parts.

Cory found the hook, the Olympians are Olympians and thus betray Kratos and belittle him, but then probably didn't see how he could possibly pull off the War cliffhanger he left. (And imo III largely doesn't come close after the start.) Let alone pull it off and keep Kratos at the center of it and seemingly in the right. (Which III doesn't even really attempt.)

The PSP titles worked out better because they went back in time and had a smaller scale. The new God of War does that by moving forward in the future and to a brand new setting. (And basically telling you to ignore what might have been left behind in Greece)

And I wouldn't be shocked if KKKory takes a step back/up for someone else to do the follow up because he's once again setup a situation that a video game probably can't really handle while providing the required hours of gameplay. Although he could just copy II and have it be a "best of" Norse mythology during Fimbulwinter and leave the truly impossible third part (Atreus comes of age, Thor arrives, and Ragnarok) to someone else to try and pull off.

And I love Cory but I'm sure he knows that II "The End Begins" setup and bail was a total dick move design wise. :lol

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #31168 on: May 20, 2018, 04:27:28 AM »
Jason: Weren’t you worried that showing Odin had his fingers in everything but not actually showing Odin would be almost like a tease to people?

Cory: Totally. But that’s what I wanted. Some of the most compelling series to me don’t always do everything in the first—they set a lot of stuff up so the power of the characters and the interactions in the second or third really resonate strongly.
Jason: So how much of the future game plan do you have mapped out in your head?

Cory: Five games.

Jason: So that’s 25 years? Is that what you’re prepared for?

Cory: No. I want to figure out how to make these things faster, man.
Kirk: Sounds super chill. Doesn’t sound stressful at all.

Jason: This all raises the question: Why do you make video games?

Cory: Because we are masochists. We hate ourselves.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31169 on: May 20, 2018, 11:16:19 AM »
Correction, AC is actually a murder simulator-simulator.
ABSTERGO APPROVES THIS MESSAGE

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31170 on: May 20, 2018, 10:15:06 PM »
Just a whole bunch of Lucienne's Quest. 15 hours in and thought I was nearing the end (according to howlongtobeat), but there seems to be a few more areas ahead of me. It's got that town-dungeon-worldmap-town-dungeon-worldmap flow of classic RPGs, which I like a bit more than hub worlds or totally open world. The translation has been getting worse as I've been getting further with the game, though!
^_^

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #31171 on: May 21, 2018, 01:06:10 AM »
And I wouldn't be shocked if KKKory takes a step back/up for someone else to do the follow up because he's once again setup a situation that a video game probably can't really handle while providing the required hours of gameplay. Although he could just copy II and have it be a "best of" Norse mythology during Fimbulwinter and leave the truly impossible third part (Atreus comes of age, Thor arrives, and Ragnarok) to someone else to try and pull off.

And I love Cory but I'm sure he knows that II "The End Begins" setup and bail was a total dick move design wise. :lol
I'd play a 5 hour, Terminator 2 style cat and mouse chase but with Thor  :whew

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31172 on: May 21, 2018, 06:34:35 AM »
I actually started playing Deus Ex 4 on the XBone, heh. Game is Deus Ex alright but what actually surprised me positively was the scene in Koller's hidden lab where it seems somebody installed Experimental Augs in Jensen's body and they were only discovered during a hard-reset situation.

And those Augs are pretty dope i.e. Tesla Cannon - being a multistrike, ranged incapacitation tool - will be *perfect* for my Ghost run.

Would be so much helpful back in Deus Ex 3, ha.

Pretty cool that this game is set in Eastern Europe (and Dubai). Kind of funny seeing the places I've been personally to in a vidya game.
Amazing game. Just wait until you discover all the subplots and the actual plot hidden behind the plot in between the plot.  :rejoice

Oh and fuck all the dumb shits who didn't buy it because it was 'too similar' to the previous game.  :stahp
🤴

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31173 on: May 21, 2018, 06:42:21 AM »
Living in Tokyo, I left my PS4 in Osaka. I'm really beginning to regret that.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #31174 on: May 21, 2018, 03:40:42 PM »
sapienza and hokkaido  :lawd

god-tier level design
I'm in Sapienza now and I have to be honest, I'm a bit overwhelmed at the level of detail so far  :jeanluc

All of my free time is pretty much sewn up though  :rejoice

agrajag

« Reply #31175 on: May 21, 2018, 05:03:09 PM »
Playing Tropical Freeze and PUBG Mobile currently.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31176 on: May 21, 2018, 10:26:25 PM »
Now I'm finally nearing the end of Lucienne's Quest. What a strange little game. The environments get more and more wacky as you progress further along in the game, from alternate dimensions with fairy queens to a warping, jelly-like cave where you fight this thing:

^_^

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31177 on: May 22, 2018, 10:39:24 AM »
Now I'm finally nearing the end of Lucienne's Quest. What a strange little game. The environments get more and more wacky as you progress further along in the game, from alternate dimensions with fairy queens to a warping, jelly-like cave where you fight this thing:

…Nothing in that image appears wholesome.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31178 on: May 22, 2018, 11:35:05 AM »
For pc users: PSA: Injustice 2 Ultimate Edition is 15 euro's on cdkeys

Really worth it
What

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #31179 on: May 22, 2018, 01:48:23 PM »
User-created contracts  :lawd

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31180 on: May 23, 2018, 04:28:36 AM »
Colonizing Monster Hunter World.

Pukei Pukei can get his/her ass in the back of the bus. We hunters here now.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31181 on: May 23, 2018, 07:50:58 AM »
It took me until the end of the game to notice, but it doesn't actually track Ghost game-wide. You get it for ghosting a single mission. Thankfully load-times were much lower on PC.

Hope you've read a bit ahead, as there's a decision that leads to a guaranteed alert in the subsequent mission.
Don't contact Miller when the game gives you the choice. Call Vega instead.
[close]

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31182 on: May 23, 2018, 03:59:55 PM »
Dragon Quest Heroes 2 Again, not a fan of these kinds of games, but this is pretty good. I love how the side quests give you rewards that help you out in the game, like being able to hold more healing items or getting new weapons. So it's not necessarily a waste of time to go and do them, unlike other games (Ahem, XENOBLADE). Wish the AI was a little better. I have a support character in to cast heal and stuff. But they're hardly ever helping, or when I need a good AoE attack (for which I have a character for) they're almost never where I need them. I know I can switch, but switching characters to heal in the middle of a boss fight is annoying

Doki Doki Literature Club Decided to see what all the hype was about. I'm admittedly only on day 2, but man this is pretty boring so far. I'm assuming it must pick up at some point. But man, how long is it going to take to get there.
que

paprikastaude

« Reply #31183 on: May 23, 2018, 04:04:09 PM »
Doki Doki Literature Club Decided to see what all the hype was about. I'm admittedly only on day 2, but man this is pretty boring so far. I'm assuming it must pick up at some point. But man, how long is it going to take to get there.

This needs to played in one ~3 hour sitting, even though it starts boring as hell.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #31184 on: May 25, 2018, 11:32:49 AM »
Super Cyborg and Curse of The Moon.

Contra and Castlevania in the year of our lord 2017+1. :rejoice

Now if only someone could make a game like Jackal. :lawd
[close]

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31185 on: May 25, 2018, 11:58:11 AM »
GF is in Pennsylvania visiting her sister and nephew, weather is gonna be shit, so I think its finally time to play a Pokemon game.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #31186 on: May 26, 2018, 04:44:29 AM »
Got Persona 3 Dancing and Persona 5 Dancing double pack. Went for the Vita version because I like playing music games on the go. I played through 10 songs of each, which is like 1/3rd of the game since like P4D it's only about 30 tracks with 50% remixes, 50% originals.

Basically neither works as well as P4D because Persona 4 Dancing was a combination of the really good pop songs of P4 combined with lots of quality remixes of them by some great artists. Persona 3 Dancing gets close because the music fits to the dancing/music game style like P4, and it's also nice seeing the P3 casts in PS3/PS4 character models, but some of the remixes are reaaaaaaaally strange. Maybe they'll grow on me. P3 Dancing also seems heavily geared towards female players as it's all about cute guys dancing and the first boss type song is all the guys in bellboy outfits dancing to a remix of the P3 final boss song :lol

Persona 5 Dancing on the other hand is sorta what I think everyone expected. Persona 5 music for the most part just doesn't work for this type of game outside like Rivers in the Desert or Last Surprise or Wake Up Get Up. And then the remixes of those try to be very different so the songs that actually do work for a dance game, the remixes strangely don't. Meanwhile the rest of the tracks are often either so remixed they work in the game but you can't even recognize the original song underneath it, or they just don't work that well.

The other big change is that there's no story mode (thankfully) but instead as you unlock achievements you unlock new Taro social links with each of the characters and you watch a dumb little skit and you get a costume. I prefer this way, though I wish the costume parts just unlocked from playing the songs. The social link stuff is all fanservice kinda dumb so I'd rather just skip it all but I want my costumes.

So far there's a few DLCs out, 2 free ones (the opening songs for each game) and 1 paid one which is about $3 for a song and is like the credit song from Persona Q I think. There's also cameo costumes from other megaten games for everyone and while most of it is whatever, I gotta say watching the P5 MC dance as the Demifiend is pretty great. I was talking to duckroll and he was pissed P3D didn't have the female MC, so I guess that'll bug someone. Idk.

Also song #10 boss battle for both games is the P3FES and P5 ending credit songs and maaaaan both of those are pretty long, boring songs. ED credit roll songs in most games tend to suck!

paprikastaude

« Reply #31187 on: May 26, 2018, 09:25:01 AM »
Playing Dead Rising for the first time. I don't get these sidequests/rescue missions, often it's not really clear how to interact with the NPCs to rescue or I'm just dumb about it.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31188 on: May 26, 2018, 04:23:33 PM »
Playing Dead Rising for the first time. I don't get these sidequests/rescue missions, often it's not really clear how to interact with the NPCs to rescue or I'm just dumb about it.

Uhm just talk to them?
What

paprikastaude

« Reply #31189 on: May 27, 2018, 09:54:15 AM »

Uhm just talk to them?

Yeah, I was dumb. For one quest you need a translation book or something. Still, sidequests are kind of annoying right now. Sometimes the NPCs are super slow or you gotta take super long walks, because you can't open all doors yet.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31190 on: May 27, 2018, 10:23:39 AM »
Pokeymans Yellow. About to board the SS ANNE. It's... well it's completely dated and rather grindy, but it's a quick pick-up-and-play. Between this and Lucienne's Quest, it's nice to have a game where you can play 45 min and feel like you've accomplished something, since it seems nowadays RPGs are so overwrought and jammed to ridiculous levels with content.
^_^

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31191 on: May 27, 2018, 12:13:00 PM »
Gave Star Wars: Dark Forces another chance since DevGameClub are playing it currently. Last time the sewer level (only the 3rd level) frustrated me enough to quit. This time I had fewer issues navigating the place, but still got turned around a couple times. Levels are massive in this and only seem to be getting bigger. Gonna have too look into fan engines again though, since performance in DOS(Box) is just abysmal in places. Would also help with the rare but frustrating platforming (mission 5 has a really bad one). Or just try to turn some dials in DOSBox, might be enough.

Also re-installed Splinter Cell, since I could barely remember what it was like. Turns out the levels are extremely narrow and your handlers give you what amounts to stage instructions at every turn. The experience is so guided it barely feels like a game. I vaguely recall later levels being less linear, but I might be mixing it up with Chaos Theory.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 12:31:06 PM by Rufus »

paprikastaude

« Reply #31192 on: May 27, 2018, 12:45:08 PM »
Completely unrelated Star Wars game, but that reminds me I also had to stop Star Wars Racing recently, because the courses became ridiculously long and difficult by the end. Like 5 minute long tracks over 3 laps (i.e. 10 minute+ for a single race) with no room for error.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31193 on: May 27, 2018, 04:31:59 PM »
Pokeymans Yellow. About to board the SS ANNE. It's... well it's completely dated and rather grindy, but it's a quick pick-up-and-play. Between this and Lucienne's Quest, it's nice to have a game where you can play 45 min and feel like you've accomplished something, since it seems nowadays RPGs are so overwrought and jammed to ridiculous levels with content.
I sometimes have that feeling as well. Monolith does a good job of stuffing their RPG's with things to do. But especially at the start Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is such a grind.
You have to force yourself through the first 2 chapters before the game gets very good and you can actually start accomplishing something.

It doesn't really help that what Dunkey called 'the baby starting area' has level 80 monsters running around that kill you in a single hit.

The one thing I feel that would 'fix' Pokemon is if you could turn off encountering/battling some Pokemon in the wild that you've already caught.
In the old games it's always so dumb to have your hike interrupted by useless Ratattas and Pidgey's every 3 steps. Makes backtracking especially a chore.

Completely unrelated Star Wars game, but that reminds me I also had to stop Star Wars Racing recently, because the courses became ridiculously long and difficult by the end. Like 5 minute long tracks over 3 laps (i.e. 10 minute+ for a single race) with no room for error.
Is that the Pod Racer game? I played that on N64 at a friends place back in the day. Good god was it hard to see shit in splitscreen multiplayer.  :doge
🤴

Corporal

« Reply #31194 on: May 27, 2018, 07:42:37 PM »
Spot on with that overwrought complaint. It's not even new, as far as I'm concerned. I remember a big draw of the DS being the pick up and play (and then suspend) approach to gaming. At least to me.

Anyway. Have just installed Day of the Tentacle remastered. Wish me luck, I doubt I'll still remember all those convoluted solutions.
!list

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #31195 on: May 27, 2018, 08:01:12 PM »

Finished this. Lots to like, still Hotline Miami, but falls slightly short of my high expectations for a sequel.

+ Music is great, more varied, but as of now less memorable.
Chalking this up to the much larger soundtrack, so less reuse of songs and less commitment to memory.
+ Graphics and presentation; love the VHS UI and general a e s t h e t i c s.
+ Not restricting weapons as unlocks (for the most part). Looks like I missed out on the flamethrower.

+/- A convoluted story I don't exactly follow that makes for an interesting wiki read afterwards.
+/- Mask selection is more restrictive, though masks are probably more useful as result.
Kind of miss the progression of unlocking new masks to try, and while that's here somewhat, it's limited by the fact that you never stick with a particular character long enough.
At most a character is given 2-3 usable masks or none at all.
+/- Liked the variety of characters and esp the specialty weapons tied to them, though it's difficult to get invested in a particular character when there's an excess of them presented within a schizo narrative.
Everyone feels dispensable but that seems fitting to the theme of the the game. This many characters feels like a concession to gameplay at the detriment of a more cohesive story.
+/- Game feels more experimental at the cost of not feeling as tight or refined.

- More offscreen deaths and general jankiness, a bit unfair at times, getting stuck on geometry occasionally (hard mode = entering cars).

I liked it but it needed a little more polish. They overshot the scope a bit, or maybe it just needed more development time to better execute its ideas.
It's not the refinement of the first game I was hoping for. It's overly ambitious and in some ways better than the first, some ways worse.
This is an 8 whereas HM is a 9/10.

This shit's crazy. What a weird concept. Addictive. Taps into that quick death -> restart, live-die-repeat loop, always feeling like you'll beat a stage given enough persistence.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31196 on: May 28, 2018, 11:47:45 AM »
Finished Doki Doki Literature Club
You guys were right. Power through the first two days and then it's smooth sailing after that. I thought it was a really fun experience. I wanted more. But not sure if you could realistically make a sequel to this now that the "trick" is out.

Dragon Quest Heroes II probably a little over halfway. Just re-took over Accordia. Still astounded by the amount content in this thing. It sorta makes me want to try out the One Piece version of this. Like I said, I'm not a fan of these types of games, but man, give me more of this.
que

Corporal

« Reply #31197 on: May 28, 2018, 05:20:39 PM »
Fuck.

I bought Hyrule Warriors Deluxe redux Switch re-re-port cashgrab The Game The Movie The Remake. And I'm perfectly happy with... what, two new (free!) costumes (that you unlock immediately), compared to the 3DS version. Which I had already played until I got terminally bored - but apparently that was only a phase.

Help. I don't have time for this. Also, a small part of my brain is convinced this is not what a sane person would do. :-\

Looks dang good though. All that HD, and at quite possibly two-digit framerates. And loads of mobs.

Ah wahtever. Teh smol paht wus wiek. Now i strongr. Hyrl Warrs gud.
!list

Bebpo

« Reply #31198 on: May 28, 2018, 06:01:50 PM »

The P3D, P5D remixes are sloooooowly growing on me. Still pretty weird mixes and P4D is heads and shoulders above both of these games. I mean P4D you had freaking Akira Yamaoka and stuff doing remixes for the game. A lot (maybe all) of the P3D remixes are from the old remix album which I haven't listen to in like 10 years lol.

Not finished with either game yet, but I kinda feel like if P4D is a 9/10 or 10/10 for what it is (it is to me), then P3D is like an 8/10 and P5D like a 7/10. I don't regret buying either, but they definitely feel less effort and way more phoned in than P4D which felt like they put a lot of effort into making an awesome music game.

I should have bought them on PS4 though. While I like music games on portable to take with me, damn the 60fps in those vids looks nice compared to the 30fps I'm playing it at.

kingv

« Reply #31199 on: May 29, 2018, 12:24:16 PM »
I have been play Yakuza 6 and Metroid Samus Returns.

Metroid is surprisingly difficult. I really died quite a few times in the first area. Now that I have some upgrades, however. It’s gotten a lot easier.

Yakuza 6 remains awesome. I really like this series. Is Shenmue similar? I feel like somehow these games are inspired by each other but Shenmue just looks dumb. And I know you have to find sailors or something.