Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3559569 times)

ILikePizza

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #31380 on: July 02, 2018, 01:31:40 PM »
I picked up the Crash Bandicoot Trilogy on Steam this weekend.  I want to play the games in the order they were released but my God, Cash 1 is terrible.  I don't remember the game being this shitty when I played it back in the day.  Maybe my standards were lower then.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #31381 on: July 02, 2018, 01:43:03 PM »
Been fucking with some Rogues lately. Dead Cells is dope af. Risk Of Rain still hasn't clicked. Downwell is cash.

I have also been playing some Blood and I want to pick up DUSK but 20 dollars is pretty fucking steep.
reckt

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31382 on: July 02, 2018, 06:17:43 PM »
More Nier Automata.

If I had to classify this game I would say The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ninja Gaiden and Kingdom Hearts had a baby.  :doge
🤴

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31383 on: July 03, 2018, 12:39:26 AM »
:ohyeah Breathe of the Wild
:ohyeah Ninja Gaiden
:nope Kingdom Hearts
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31384 on: July 04, 2018, 10:49:27 AM »
Started [PROTOTYPE 2]. I forgot about the cheesy mix of live-action and prerendered storytelling. I went to a talk at GDC when the art director described their "plan" for the series, and it was just a fucking jumble of mixed up video and prerender CG and some Ken Burns effects on concept artwork and still photos. My immediate reaction was, "That's no way to define a look for where you want your game to go," but that turned out to be the entirety of their presentation plans.

The game looks much better than the first one, in terms of in-game graphic fidelity (as opposed to the prerendered storytelling).

The movement model is still a heap of fun, though I've lost my touch since the first game.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31385 on: July 04, 2018, 01:41:46 PM »
Why are you doing this to yourself?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Invisible War isn't that bad. But it is a huge step down from the original in terms of quality and it got massively consolized.
[close]
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #31386 on: July 04, 2018, 03:43:41 PM »
So playing AC Syndicate: Jack the Ripper - What AC really needs at this point to go from a fun game to a more fun game is really just to allow a quicksave button. Because the game is inherently glitchy and unpredictable as fuck, quicksave is needed. If it was more refined like say Hitman's 2016's escalations, quicksave would be less essential (worth noting Hitman 2016 allows quicksaves for everything other than escalations and elusive targets, which makes the game much more enjoyable since you can tinker around).

The thing is that when there's a story mission and you've gone and stealthed the whole thing perfectly for 10-15 mins, get to the final bit and there's two guys on a floor below you and you get to the edge over them to leap down for a double kill and then suddenly for no reason wtf they both see you even though you're a floor above perched on a hanging thing and alert and now your perfect stealth satisfaction of finishing the mission is ruined and your target is running away and you can either reload your last checkpoint which is probably 10 mins of perfect stealth away, or just drop down, run up to the target and stab him. Most likely you're gonna do the latter because it saves you 10 mins and who cares. But the end result is you finish the mission unsatisfied. Whereas if you at least had quicksave and could quicksave all along, then when you get to the last 2 guys below you, you can quicksave and if they glitch and see you, you can quickload and try something different.

If AC wasn't made for consoles first I bet we'd have a quicksave in the PC version. But quicksave is rarely really supported in console games so auto-checkpoints are all we've got and they aren't the best for an unpredictable glitchy stealth game like AC.

Bonus pic from a few mins before I quit out of the session.

Borealis

« Reply #31387 on: July 05, 2018, 02:33:36 AM »
Did you go through the DLC for Mankind Divided? If anything, I really recommend 'A Criminal Past'. It's much stronger than HR's 'A Missing Link', sort of continues the MD story, plus it has a great environment and gameplay choices.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31388 on: July 07, 2018, 10:13:54 AM »
Got my Genesis-2 SCART cables in the mail, and they look incredible with the OSSC and the CDX's video output. So I've been playing lots of Genesis and Sega CD these last few days. Games include:

Thunder Force 3 - challenging as hell, quite a few cheap deaths that rely on memorization... but it looks and sounds great. Thunder Force 4 may be a bit better but even more punishing.

Air Buster - one of my favorite lesser known shmups. It doesn't do anything all that special as compared to other shooters but it has nice graphics, catchy music, a 2 player mode, and isn't as punishingly difficult as the other big Genesis shmups (Thunder Force / Gaiares / Truxton)

World of Illusion - watching my GF play... I don't think the level design or music is as good as Castle of Illusion but it's still fun, and I like how the levels change based on who you play as (Mickey, Donald, or co-op).

Shining Force CD - watched my friend who sucks at strategy games play it. Seems like it's more of a sequel of the original, with the starting party being descendants of the original game's characters. Seems pretty fun but hardly gets discussed compared to the other Shining Force games...
^_^

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31389 on: July 07, 2018, 10:18:13 AM »
I've mostly been reading books and watching football dude. Only game I'm playing is some SMT IV in bed before I sleep.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31390 on: July 07, 2018, 10:29:16 AM »
You are going to be so blown away when you get done with BOF1, lol
fat

nudemacusers

« Reply #31391 on: July 07, 2018, 10:35:55 AM »
Not playing as much as I’m prob getting an Xbox one x shortly.

Currently playing Deus Ex mankind divided... fun though you have to turn off the hand holds a bit.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 10:59:46 AM by nudemacusers »
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31392 on: July 07, 2018, 10:56:54 AM »
I've been playing Crisis Core: FFVII. Fun and fast combat system, but it gets repetitive quickly. The constant interruptions from the slot machine would bother me more, but I can fast-forward through those since I'm using PPSSPP.

Otherwise nothing interesting to say about it.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31393 on: July 07, 2018, 11:03:47 AM »
Have some Breath of Fire (SNES) ones from me:

(Image removed from quote.)

It's a fantastic game. Surprisingly I find it better and more interesting than Suikoden. Can't comprehend how both KONAMI and CAPCOM made great JRPGs in the past... Nowadays? LOL.

Is this your first BoF game?
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #31394 on: July 07, 2018, 12:40:17 PM »
I’ve never played any BoF outside Dragon Quarter which I love. Do they still hold up?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31395 on: July 07, 2018, 12:48:09 PM »
3 and 4 are still great, but I haven't played 1 and 2 in ages.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31396 on: July 07, 2018, 12:59:02 PM »
BoF I and II are too dated and slow-paced, IIRC.  I'd still check out III and IV though.

Come on guys... am I, chronovore and Bebpo the only ones playing vidya? Post some progress, post some screens!

Haven't played anything in over a week now.  Been on vacation, but just seem to be in one of those phases where I just don't want to play anything.
 :idont
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #31397 on: July 07, 2018, 01:00:36 PM »
4 was cool, but I couldn't take the slowness of 3 for longer than a dozen hours when I tried it recently.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31398 on: July 07, 2018, 02:44:57 PM »
Dont forget theres a true ending in BOF1 as well (which you still didnt get in Suiko 1)
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #31399 on: July 07, 2018, 03:59:56 PM »
FF4 and DQ4(at least the DS remake) hold up, but they’re pretty quick games. It’s one reason I like Suikoden I&II as well.

Down to try BoF, but would be put off by slowness. What’s the best one in 1-4?

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31400 on: July 07, 2018, 04:03:54 PM »
Sorry I've been playing a ton of Playerunknowns battleturd

I did buy One Finger Death Punch which is pretty cool
What

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31401 on: July 07, 2018, 05:00:40 PM »
FF4 and DQ4(at least the DS remake) hold up, but they’re pretty quick games. It’s one reason I like Suikoden I&II as well.

3 is probably my favorite... there's a scene with an evil Dolphin that is incredible. 4 has a really dark story at some points and is arguably the best looking PS1 game, but the movement/control is really stilted and encounter rate can be high.
^_^

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31402 on: July 07, 2018, 08:16:02 PM »
PROTOTYPE 2 is much easier than the first game. I thought it was my imagination but googled results support my hypothesis. I remember getting very frustrated in the first game but being determined to get my win. This time, I'm walking through most missions with minimal effort. It's super forgiving.

Also true of this game:
  • "Be on the lookout for an infected man flying around" should be the order of the day, but they ignore my flying ass all day long.
  • If i land near a military enemy, they're briefly suspicious until I wait 10 seconds, then they'll lose suspicion. "Hey, I guess Fred just jumped down off from the top of our HQ. Cool."
  • Pedestrians have no reaction when I snack on their friends. They aren't even mildly interested that the person next to them has been brutally absorbed by an infectious polymorph.
  • Pretentious, over-processed video assets probably saved some money on lipsync (good!) but are poorly composited side-by-side with prerendered assets (bad).

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31403 on: July 07, 2018, 08:47:41 PM »

3 is probably my favorite...

Same here, though some of that may be nostalgia: I played a ton of 3 back when it was fairly new but didn't play 4 until a bit later [and I didn't play it nearly as much].
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #31404 on: July 07, 2018, 09:14:18 PM »
Incoming Vita image dump:

Nurse Love Addiction
[close]

Undertale
[close]

Aegis of Earth: Protonovus Assault

[close]

Summon Night 6
[close]

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

[close]

Tokyo Xanadu

[close]

©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31405 on: July 07, 2018, 10:26:09 PM »

1 is super hard to get into, but play the gba version if you can.

2 is better, but still has a lot of vagueness on where to go next. Play the snes retranslation patch.

3 is probably the best, to me. The child arc is a slog, especially the balio and sunder bit, but it speeds up in the adult arc. Available on vita via psp.

4 is visually the most pleasing. Encounter rate is up there but its good. Available on vita via ps1 classic.
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #31406 on: July 08, 2018, 07:47:02 AM »
I thought Crisis Core was good when I played it last year. However, I had to stop at an overpowered boss, because I didn't get enough levels from the slot machine up until that point... What a weird aspect the latter is in an otherwise okay fighting system. Also, while the writing was mostly bearable ingame, all the CG cutscenes were the worst kind of Nomura shlock. The good thing about PS1 Squaresoft was that Nomura was still somewhat restrained, even in his drawings.

Also the writing in BoF4 is so good. It manages to be endearing despite consisting of tropes. I looked up my thoughts on the game and saw that I noted that it didn't have a strikingly high encounter rate though ??? Also, it's like a 30 hour game with very short dungeons and hence quick pacing, which helps to overlook the (in the beginning) boring battles. I had to bail out of BoF3 after 15 hours when I estimated (with a guide) that it's probably 50 hours long, while not having the quick pace and top-tier visuals of 4.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 08:14:46 AM by Spieler1 »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31407 on: July 08, 2018, 08:34:09 AM »
I've been playing Crisis Core: FFVII. Fun and fast combat system, but it gets repetitive quickly. The constant interruptions from the slot machine would bother me more, but I can fast-forward through those since I'm using PPSSPP.

Otherwise nothing interesting to say about it.

I remember really liking this game back in the day aside from the Jar Jar Binks of FF7 Genesis. What would you say doesn't "hold up" in it?
The slot machine is my main annoyance for sure. It's one thing for there to be an opaque system to give out random rewards, but what kills it for me are its animations.
If a battle takes long enough, you'll have to watch it go off multiple times. When it stops on a special move rather than a level up - more animations! To top it off, it only allows you to skip summons and flashbacks, not combos and buffs. So they knew it was a problem on some level, but didn't commit to solving it.
If you ever want to pick it up again, I very strongly suggest emulation to fast-forward that crap.

Monotonous encounter design is a close 2nd. They give you quite a bit of freedom to define your move set, but then don't challenge your choices. There's maybe a handful of encounters where you're (potentially) screwed without a spell, but otherwise you can clear everything by backstabbing for crits.
The result is that I don't give a shit about customizing my moveset. I use healing spells occasionally and robots get zapped with lightning, but that's it.

I dind't want to comment on the fan-fiction since I expected it to be bad, but since you bring up Genesis, him and Angeal really stick out as solutions to a problem that didn't exist. Fleshing out Sephiroth's arc was the better choice and stares you right in the face the entire time. They instead separated aspects of him into their own characters, resulting in two more shallow fools who (I assume) have to be neatly erased from the timeline.
Director Lazard and Hollander were enough to drive the plot behind the scenes, but instead there's this lunatic who cites bad poetry whenever he appears.

I had to bail out of BoF3 after 15 hours when I estimated (with a guide) that it's probably 50 hours long, while not having the quick pace and top-tier visuals of 4.
Was that enough to see the timeskip? I really loved that and the dragon transformations. On the whole I prefer 4, too. Nothing beats DQ though.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 09:28:12 AM by Rufus »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #31408 on: July 08, 2018, 12:42:26 PM »
i remember in crisis core that you could skip most of the random battles by hugging the walls, and that the slot machine wasn't random at all, it just gave that appearance. I liked the game flaws and all bc i felt like more than anything else in the ff7 compilation it captured the weird tone of the original: lots of goofy humor and wacky minigames sandwiched between extreme melodrama. wish they'd rerelease it.
pcp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31409 on: July 08, 2018, 01:52:36 PM »
I've learned that lesson pretty fast since treasure is always placed in the safe zone. I'd retread my steps after opening a chest and immediately enter another battle.
I've been dodging fights since the 2nd half but I worry that I'll fall behind in levels since I don't know if the slot machine will catch me up, so to speak.

There are patterns to what triggers what, sure, and I know story events influence it (or Zacks' emotions, rather), but if there's anything I can do as a player to swing it in my favour I've not discovered it. It's this thing that gives be bonuses completely independently of my actions, as far as I can tell.
I don't mind it as a mechanic but its interruptions are jarring and too lengthy.

kingv

« Reply #31410 on: July 08, 2018, 03:48:41 PM »
PROTOTYPE 2 is much easier than the first game. I thought it was my imagination but googled results support my hypothesis. I remember getting very frustrated in the first game but being determined to get my win. This time, I'm walking through most missions with minimal effort. It's super forgiving.

Also true of this game:
  • "Be on the lookout for an infected man flying around" should be the order of the day, but they ignore my flying ass all day long.
  • If i land near a military enemy, they're briefly suspicious until I wait 10 seconds, then they'll lose suspicion. "Hey, I guess Fred just jumped down off from the top of our HQ. Cool."
  • Pedestrians have no reaction when I snack on their friends. They aren't even mildly interested that the person next to them has been brutally absorbed by an infectious polymorph.
  • Pretentious, over-processed video assets probably saved some money on lipsync (good!) but are poorly composited side-by-side with prerendered assets (bad).

I haven’t played this since it came out, but iirc they simplified the game a lot. Prototype  had a lot more complexity to its combat and upgrade trees.

I still like both games, but they really feel like they 85% of the way to true greatness. Like a little bit more polish, in terms of enemy variety, mission design, and combat could have really brought it to the next level. There’s a lot of cool ideas going on in the game, but it still feels strictly mid-budget.

paprikastaude

« Reply #31411 on: July 08, 2018, 04:37:59 PM »
Warioware 3ds demo - motion controlled minigames are pretty awful with a 3DSXL and that seems to be 1/3 of the game. It's way too bulky and the wobbly upper screen doesn't make it feel any better. Also the voice acting is irritating. It seems to have quite a bit of content, but idk.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 demo -  :lawd :lawd *record scratch* wait this is still almost 2 months away? :crazy

Detective Pikachu demo - The graphics and music are surprisingly good, gameplay seems alright for a pseudo visual novel. I'd be almost interested in this if it was in the bargain bin, but I was already burnt by buying last year's 3DS baby game Hey Pikmin after liking the demo.

I had to bail out of BoF3 after 15 hours when I estimated (with a guide) that it's probably 50 hours long, while not having the quick pace and top-tier visuals of 4.
Was that enough to see the timeskip? I really loved that and the dragon transformations. On the whole I prefer 4, too. Nothing beats DQ though.

Yes. Decent twist, but the actual game underneath the story was too bloated for me. I just didn't have any fun.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31412 on: July 08, 2018, 04:46:52 PM »
Detective Pikachu is trash, dont even bother
fat

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31413 on: July 08, 2018, 05:10:50 PM »
Done with Crisis Core. Corny ending, but you don't often see a mechanic woven into the story like this. :larry
The slot machine slowly breaks down as Zack's dying and his memories fade away. He holds onto Aerith the longest, which makes sense but is also funny since he's read her Dear John letter shortly before. :heh

I didn't expect Genesis to be part of a sequel hook. He makes an appearance in Dirge of Cerberus, with another sequel hook in a secret ending. :lol They really committed to this trash chracter playing a big role somewhere down the line, huh? And for the "Compilation of Final Fantasy VII". I hope he doesn't end up in the remake, should it ever come out.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 07:40:36 PM by Rufus »

agrajag

« Reply #31414 on: July 08, 2018, 05:17:43 PM »
got stuck at Hollow Knight again. Hornet 2.0 was kicking my ass so I gave up on her. Then I died in some random spot in Fog Canyon and my shade disappeared with about 6k worth of geo. Went to Jiji to get my shade and he said I had no regrets. Damn game.

Corporal

« Reply #31415 on: July 08, 2018, 08:28:46 PM »
Banished

Town 1 - everyone died.
Town 2 - most people died.

I'm making progress!  :D

Also finally managed to grab all the seasonal super duper loot boxes in Paladins. Yey. Got a really crappy horse skin in one. Yay?

Also played some Kirby Pinball on n3DS VirtualConsole. I'll never get the timing for the rebound right. I just randomly press a button whenever. With predictable outcomes. I should probably look up when you're supposed to press it, but whatevs.

Got to 61 population in Fallout Shelter. Suffered a Deathclaw attack. Abandoned one of my peeps to get below the Deathclaw threshold again. Am currently considering kicking out more peeps so that radscorpions stay away as well because they suck if you have upgraded rooms. This is probably not how you're supposed to play this "game". Not having all that much fun anyway because it'd just busywork...
!list

Bebpo

« Reply #31416 on: July 08, 2018, 08:31:25 PM »
Finished AC Syndicate: Jack the Ripper and by finished I mean, watched the last 30 mins on youtube walkthrough after 2 hard crash glitches on main story missions back to back.

Was ok, I like the setting and the fear stealth gameplay additions and playing as older Evie is cool, but I don't like the repeat missions where you play as Jack the Ripper at the same area as you play as Evie. Feels like asset re-use filler. Also the re-use of the asylum in general. The other 2 original stages the Mansion and the Boat Prisons were solid because they were new maps and had the hitman-like opportunities. Also I didn't care for the story. In the first 1/2 of it I thought maybe they were going to do something interesting with Jack the Ripper. I sorta thought from the intro that it was going to turn out that Jack = Jacob and he'd gone crazy. But instead they introduce this total off-screen character and try to develop a story and it's like zzz.

At this point all I hope is that Origins PC is less crashy. I could never play a game as crash-happy/glitch-happy as AC Syndicate again. Like on one of the main missions I was supposed to fight a group of bad guys but for some reason when there was one bad guy left my buttons stopped working so all I could do was run around in a circle but not attack and not counter and not use items. Thought maybe it was a scripted thing so died and retried but nope game just glitched out and took away all my buttons in the middle of a group fight yay. What I don't get is that most of the glitches in Syndicate happen in the main missions. If you're going to polish/QA anything, shouldn't it be the main story missions? wtf

kingv

« Reply #31417 on: July 08, 2018, 10:07:47 PM »
got stuck at Hollow Knight again. Hornet 2.0 was kicking my ass so I gave up on her. Then I died in some random spot in Fog Canyon and my shade disappeared with about 6k worth of geo. Went to Jiji to get my shade and he said I had no regrets. Damn game.

I feel like the Dark Souls aspect in the game is truly unneeded. It doesn’t really add anything to the game other than make you backtrack.

The other thing I am not liking about it is having to find the damn map in each zone.

Fifstar

« Reply #31418 on: July 09, 2018, 04:41:24 AM »

I feel like the Dark Souls aspect in the game is truly unneeded. It doesn’t really add anything to the game other than make you backtrack.

The other thing I am not liking about it is having to find the damn map in each zone.

Yeah, it sucks. Sometimes you're deep in some new zone, have fun exploring but are afraid you might loose your Geo. Unless you already unlocked a stag station, you have to get back all the way  to the bank and then back again to where you were before.
Gulp

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31419 on: July 09, 2018, 09:29:24 AM »
Just bought Hollow Knight and Dead Cells for Steam :)
What

BisMarckie

« Reply #31420 on: July 09, 2018, 09:42:15 AM »
I can't stop playing Football Manager :stahp

It is just too easy to.start the game and pretend to work

Freyj

« Reply #31421 on: July 09, 2018, 11:15:00 AM »
Yeah I’ve lost 2k Geo multiple times now but I honestly don’t have much to spend it on at this point other than the fountain 3k and the last nail upgrade when I happen to find 3 more Pale Ore.

It’s a great game and perhaps the best Metroidvania overall but I strongly dislike: buying maps, the more demanding platforming challenges (nail bouncing fucking sucks on Joy Cons) and the heavy heavy backtracking. It doesn’t help the backtracking that each level has a real samey feel and everything kinda bleeds together. I only remember specific rooms with markers (Jesus Christ just give the player those at the start FFS) or enemies.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31422 on: July 09, 2018, 11:31:32 AM »
Throwing some of those bargain bin games into the PS3. Playing through Wet and Stranglehold.

kingv

« Reply #31423 on: July 09, 2018, 11:33:57 AM »
I really like Stranglehold. That’s a fun game. Like an evolution of Max Payne.

I also like the boss with the grenades that keeps saying “do you like Pineapple?” In some kind of unplaceable accent.

agrajag

« Reply #31424 on: July 09, 2018, 11:39:23 AM »
Yeah I’ve lost 2k Geo multiple times now but I honestly don’t have much to spend it on at this point other than the fountain 3k and the last nail upgrade when I happen to find 3 more Pale Ore.

It’s a great game and perhaps the best Metroidvania overall but I strongly dislike: buying maps, the more demanding platforming challenges (nail bouncing fucking sucks on Joy Cons) and the heavy heavy backtracking. It doesn’t help the backtracking that each level has a real samey feel and everything kinda bleeds together. I only remember specific rooms with markers (Jesus Christ just give the player those at the start FFS) or enemies.

Yeah, nail bouncing is the fucking worst. It's a little more forgiving with double jump. I am currently trying to get over to an area all the way to the left of Greenpath that requires some intense platforming through thorns and this game requires you to use three different action buttons to get through those sections (dash, jump/double jump and that long dash). I'm just too old for that shit  :-\

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31425 on: July 09, 2018, 12:47:17 PM »

I also like the boss with the grenades that keeps saying “do you like Pineapple?” In some kind of unplaceable accent.

Max Payne 2 is way better than anything in Stranglehold.

And I really liked Stranglehold.

Except yea now that I think about it in Max Payne 2 you can't slide down railings
What

agrajag

« Reply #31426 on: July 09, 2018, 02:20:24 PM »
Nail bouncing is HORRIBLE. It just doesn't fucking work on the XBox Controller. The sole reason I didn't beat Colliseum LVL3.

I beat level 1 on the first try, but kind of scared of trying level 2. I can't get past either Hornet 2 or the Grey Prince Zote (I know he's optional). Can't really figure out his movement pattern and he's really fast.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31427 on: July 09, 2018, 05:17:59 PM »
It did - Lost Odyssey

And you know what? That final boss fight was dogshit

More "behind the curtains" please

Stay in your lane, polack
fat

kingv

« Reply #31428 on: July 09, 2018, 08:16:58 PM »

Max Payne 2 is way better than anything in Stranglehold.

And I really liked Stranglehold.

Except yea now that I think about it in Max Payne 2 you can't slide down railings

Max Payne 2 is probably a better game (but frankly it has been ten years since I played either) but I think stranglehold had more fancy bullet/diving options. Like you could slide down rails and jump on the carts.

Also there were a lot of pineapples to explode. Iirc Max Payne 2 didn’t have a ton of environmental interactivity because of it being so old.

Edit: I also forgot to add the move from stranglehold where he would spin and kill everyone and a flock of pigeons would appear. Every. Time.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 08:22:55 PM by kingv »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31429 on: July 10, 2018, 10:59:33 AM »
Edit: I also forgot to add the move from stranglehold where he would spin and kill everyone and a flock of pigeons would appear. Every. Time.

It is a John Woo product.

paprikastaude

« Reply #31430 on: July 10, 2018, 03:51:02 PM »
Trials Fusion - I think my only experience with this series was a browser version centuries ago. Pretty cool PS+ game and they might have made me purchase the next one. Though this iteration seems to be have a real problem with having a normal difficulty curve. It gives you tutorials for techniques you don't need for the majority of the game, it's pretty easy until like the second to last world and then just turns challenge up 10x. Like, you can still get through with shit rankings, but there's been way too little maps actually teaching me shit up until that point. I guess they expect you to have played the previous entries - but then again, why would it be so easy until the end.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31431 on: July 10, 2018, 03:59:42 PM »
Trials Evolution is clearly superior to Trials Fusion
What

paprikastaude

« Reply #31432 on: July 10, 2018, 04:13:30 PM »
The next one looks better too, videos already show way more challenge variety in the stages they had at E3.
Meanwhile, Fusion copied a stage from Donkey Kong Country Wii  :doge

archnemesis

« Reply #31433 on: July 10, 2018, 04:53:04 PM »
I'm also at the penultimate world in Trials Fusion and I'll probably never finish the campaign. Clearing the stages is doable, but I don't feel like replaying stages to unlock the 110 medals needed for the last world.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31434 on: July 10, 2018, 05:26:04 PM »
The Void, from the creators of Pathologic.

The basic idea is that you use colour to sustain yourself, fight and, most importantly, feed the so-called Sisters. Fill one of their hearts with their preferred colours and they will open the chambers connected to theirs. Gardens, mines, or reservations where you, well, garden, mine or hunt for hopefully big returns in the next cycle. Fill two hearts and a Sister will open the way to the next Sister. Rinse and repeat.

There are also the Brothers. Twisted horrors who very much don't like you using colour to do anything and raid the chambers you've seeded unless you beat them to the harvest or set traps to chase them away. However, they also require you to complete tasks for them, straining your resources further.

Have I mentioned that feeding Sisters takes multiple harvests? And that you're basically at death's door the entire time?

tl;dr
It's intriguing but so very tedious and I might just watch an LP instead. :doge

Corporal

« Reply #31435 on: July 10, 2018, 08:04:42 PM »
Oh god, The Void was such an unforgiving game... you can easily run out of colors if you're still new. And the brother fights were rather harsh as well IIRC. Been a while...

Titties tho.  :-[

Random trivia: I think I made a thread on the game back on the showergoblin site. One of two threads that ever got past page one.  :-\
!list

agrajag

« Reply #31436 on: July 10, 2018, 10:56:33 PM »
Borys I finally beat Hornet 2, she wasn't that hard once I figured out to keep myself composed and not get too jittery with the dashing. Simple single jumps and anticipation did the trick. Now the Hive Knight is kicking my ass. He's like Hornet on steroids.

Freyj

« Reply #31437 on: July 11, 2018, 12:47:16 AM »
Jesus the Dream Bosses suck. RNGesus hell. I dunno if I’m gonna 100% this.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31438 on: July 11, 2018, 08:24:57 AM »
Oh god, The Void was such an unforgiving game... you can easily run out of colors if you're still new. And the brother fights were rather harsh as well IIRC. Been a while...
I did exactly that in the first couple hours, said fuck this, read some FAQs and started over. Going much better, but it's still easy to screw yourself.

Titties tho.  :-[
And vacant, dead eyes, with an opressive atmosphere and constant paranoia of having mismanaged your stocks. Not very conducive to titilation, all told. :doge

Random trivia: I think I made a thread on the game back on the showergoblin site. One of two threads that ever got past page one.  :-\
In attempting to find it, I stumbled upon this (heya Brob-kun :-* )
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-void-5.387540/page-2#post-19796945

Dificulty patch, eh? Maybe I won't watch an LP after all. :hitler

Found it:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nsfw-gaming-is-art-age-the-void-aka-tension.364328/

Russian dating sim :lol
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nsfw-gaming-is-art-age-the-void-aka-tension.364328/page-2#post-21550866
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:08:28 AM by Rufus »

agrajag

« Reply #31439 on: July 11, 2018, 08:42:10 AM »
Jesus the Dream Bosses suck. RNGesus hell. I dunno if I’m gonna 100% this.

Yep. I tried to fight the dream version of Soul Master and he brutalized me like a helpless child.