Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3559098 times)

agrajag

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #31440 on: July 11, 2018, 12:17:44 PM »
where are you getting all the extra lifeblood from? I only have one charm that gives two extra lifeblood containers

paprikastaude

« Reply #31441 on: July 11, 2018, 12:26:17 PM »
I'm also at the penultimate world in Trials Fusion and I'll probably never finish the campaign. Clearing the stages is doable, but I don't feel like replaying stages to unlock the 110 medals needed for the last world.

This is where I'm at now and I think I'm out too. I have like 102 or 103 and there doesn't seem to be any non-annoying missions left.

I'm kind of shocked that there's so little Trials games of this kind though. I thought there was one at almost every Ubi E3...

agrajag

« Reply #31442 on: July 11, 2018, 05:15:54 PM »
Nevermind about the Hive Knight being difficult, he ended up being a non-issue. I didn't know the Hive was DLC, I just play as I go, when I find new stuff I explore it. All the previous DLC came packed in with the Switch version, I guess.

Anyway, kind of lost now, and meandering about. Hornet gave me the King's mark and said that all sorts of door would open to me, but I haven't seen anything so far.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #31443 on: July 11, 2018, 07:08:03 PM »

©@©™

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #31444 on: July 11, 2018, 11:22:04 PM »
does the red headed one just keep fading back farther and farther while holding that pose?

agrajag

« Reply #31445 on: July 11, 2018, 11:23:06 PM »
Ah, got into the Abyss. I already beat Empty Vessel before I got to Hornet 2, so I had forgotten about that door already. The game is pretty unforgiving about having you backtrack without any sort of guidance.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31446 on: July 11, 2018, 11:38:09 PM »
Been continuing with Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection. Level design isn't really one of Falcom's best, being angular hallways with some light platforming and puzzle solving, and lots of hack and slash, for the most part. But the NPCs are amazing... personal favorite is a chain smoking wiseass nun. Excellent dialogue/translation too really brings to life the cast, and the graphics look so vivid and vibrant.
^_^

Freyj

« Reply #31447 on: July 12, 2018, 12:28:40 AM »
Holy Christ the Coliseum in Hollow Knight is awful. Wish the final Charm Notch and Pale Ore weren’t locked behind this bullshit.

agrajag

« Reply #31448 on: July 12, 2018, 01:09:02 AM »
Holy Christ the Coliseum in Hollow Knight is awful. Wish the final Charm Notch and Pale Ore weren’t locked behind this bullshit.

how far did you get? I only tried the first challenge

Freyj

« Reply #31449 on: July 12, 2018, 01:21:37 AM »
To the second. I really want that last Pale Ore so I can max the Nail but idk that I’ll borher now.

agrajag

« Reply #31450 on: July 12, 2018, 01:24:15 AM »
Heh, I should go back and do the rest of the challenges. I got the shadow dash now, I'm feeling confident

bluemax

« Reply #31451 on: July 12, 2018, 02:54:47 AM »
On chapter 15 of a new game plus run of FFXV, the added story stuff in the later chapters helps the game a bunch. I also finished Episode Gladio already.

Also after seeing some of the footage of upcoming ship combat in WarFrame I finally decided to jump in. Game seems fun so far.
NO

Corporal

« Reply #31452 on: July 12, 2018, 07:41:19 AM »
Audiosurf. Installed. Noticed I forgot my login. Tried to recover. Apparently I didn't use my standard email. Or any other I remember. Dammit.  :duh

Frustrated, I installed Beat Hazard and played that instead. Fuck yeah. Stroboscopic lights. Can't see shit. Explosions. Having fun.  :dizzy

Music-parsing games are triple plus good. More games should use these kinds of random seeds. Just sharing some Hex numbers doesn't compare with "I've beaten Unity by TheFatRat on maximum difficulty without deaths!" or similar boasts. Given the popularity of memes, maybe images could be used as well? Like, I can 1-credit the Shiba Inu doge gif? All polandball strips are easy mode? Greentext makes the endboss impossible to beat? All that talk about AI and whatnot, and nobody tackles the truly important advancements for gaming as a medium.  :'( :-\
!list

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31453 on: July 12, 2018, 09:12:56 AM »
ALSO has a true ending dont fuck it up this time asshole
fat

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31454 on: July 12, 2018, 09:18:41 AM »
Viking themed Doom mod REKKR. Only played the first level, but it looks promising.

kingv

« Reply #31455 on: July 12, 2018, 11:23:28 AM »
Ah, got into the Abyss. I already beat Empty Vessel before I got to Hornet 2, so I had forgotten about that door already. The game is pretty unforgiving about having you backtrack without any sort of guidance.

This, the dark souls BS, and the mapping grind make me say this is not as good as Super Metroid (or frankly even 3DS Samus Returns or most of the castlevania GBA games).

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31456 on: July 12, 2018, 12:51:16 PM »
So I was playing the original Baldur's Gate got about a dozen hours in and sorta lost interest. It's not bad or anything, and some of the characters are great. But I just feel like "....eh..." Don't know if it gets better.

Also playing through Shining Force 2. I am constantly surprised by the quality of this game and shocked that the series is just dead. It does so much stuff right for being such an old game. Why can't they do this anymore?

I'm happy to see all the Breath of Fire stuff. I tried 1 and 2 back in the day as rentals from blockbuster. I wasn't able to finish them before I returned them, but I liked them well enough. Went back to try them again a few years back, but I couldn't deal with the random encounters and they just hadn't aged well. I tried 3 but I always felt it was a slog in the beginning and never really made it through the child section. I do hear from friends that the child section is the worst part. Maybe I should go back? I never tried 4. I did try Dragon Quarter, I have to admit though I didn't give enough of a chance as I didn't "get it"
que

paprikastaude

« Reply #31457 on: July 12, 2018, 01:12:43 PM »
Also playing through Shining Force 2. I am constantly surprised by the quality of this game and shocked that the series is just dead. It does so much stuff right for being such an old game. Why can't they do this anymore?

The Shining series went on in Japan as ultra animu ever since.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31458 on: July 12, 2018, 05:01:14 PM »
So I was playing the original Baldur's Gate got about a dozen hours in and sorta lost interest. It's not bad or anything, and some of the characters are great. But I just feel like "....eh..." Don't know if it gets better.

BG2 is definitely the better game.
dog

agrajag

« Reply #31459 on: July 12, 2018, 06:17:34 PM »
god damnit, I hate the fucking jumping elephants in Hollow Knight. I think I was almost through the second challenge in the Colloseum and they bring out the fucking elephants. Any good strategies for dealing with those?

edit: got past him, but then they threw in the section where you have to stay in the air to avoid spikes, argh

edit 2: beat the second challenge with one life remaining, shit was hard
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:06:52 PM by agrajag »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31460 on: July 12, 2018, 06:54:13 PM »

I'm happy to see all the Breath of Fire stuff. I tried 1 and 2 back in the day as rentals from blockbuster. I wasn't able to finish them before I returned them, but I liked them well enough. Went back to try them again a few years back, but I couldn't deal with the random encounters and they just hadn't aged well. I tried 3 but I always felt it was a slog in the beginning and never really made it through the child section. I do hear from friends that the child section is the worst part. Maybe I should go back? I never tried 4. I did try Dragon Quarter, I have to admit though I didn't give enough of a chance as I didn't "get it"

4 is a bit of a slog in terms of control and steep encounter rate, but the graphics are stunning and the story takes some pretty dark turns here and there. 5 seems to be a very decisive entry, most people don't like it but I enjoyed it... granted it took me a bit of time to get acquainted to it and I dropped it at first to only come back years later.

I still need to play 2, gonna do it on the OSSC/SCART enabled SNES :bow2
^_^

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #31461 on: July 12, 2018, 06:54:48 PM »
Been playing Panzer Dragoon Orta and god I'm happy Xbox One has backwards compatibility. Thinking I might write a long post on it soon.

Definitely my favorite original Xbox game, some of the later levels look absolutely stunning in their visual presentation.
^_^

bluemax

« Reply #31462 on: July 13, 2018, 04:27:58 AM »
Breath of Fire 2 (SNES)

Is so fucking amazing :o

I started playing the re-translation patch someone did a few years ago. Vastly improves the story and dialogue. Game always starts to feel like a slog at points to me because of the poor XP balance and all the characters that aren't really good. For my recent playthrough I used a utility to double XP and Gold payouts and also tweaked some stat growths.
NO

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31463 on: July 13, 2018, 09:38:30 AM »
All this BoF talk makes me want to play through the series. Maybe if I had some cheats/patches 1 and 2 would feel better now?

Also I've been playing a lot of Yakuza 0. I love it, like I do all Yakuza games, but I feel like this one might've bitten off more than it could chew. There's just so much stuff to do. Real-estate, recruiting girls for your club, and all the other stuff. I'll have to admit it's been a while since I played a game with this many cutscenes though...holy crap it's like a Japanese soap opera.
que

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31464 on: July 13, 2018, 09:39:01 AM »
Viking themed Doom mod REKKR. Only played the first level, but it looks promising.
Finished E1 (of 3+bonus) yesterday.

+ Intricate level design which doesn't rely on mystery switches too much. (The door they open is even in view often of the time, isn't that amazing?)
+ Good secrets (the ones I found, anyway).
- Bit dark in places. There was a torch in the 2nd or 3rd level to at least temporarily light things up, but I haven't seen one since.
- Enemies are pretty meh. The ones that appear to be just straight up re-textures of Doom enemies work best. The ones that were changed to be melee-only have become boring and the mod compensates by throwing too many of them at you.
+ Some of your weapons are fueled by souls, which are dropped by two enemy types. The catch is that they quickly dissolve, so you have to rush into melee range to replenish your stocks.
- That doesn't work too well later on.
~ Weapon design is decent in isolation,
- but either mismatched with enemy and encounter design or simply assumes a level of mastery or foreknowledge that I can't match (sometimes not even with save scumming). :doge

Weapon blabla:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Chainsaw -> Two-handed axe. Swings twice with each click. Cool, but melee is risky and it's still too slow to deal with a group of Draugr (?). Sometimes kills with one hit, sometimes doesn't.
Pistol -> Bow, fueled by enemy souls. Good starter, but slow.
Shotgun -> Many-barreled monstrosity which looks and sounds great but doesn't have enough spread, is single-shot and takes forever to reload.
Chaingun -> Soul-...pipe thing? I don't know. Great rapid-fire weapon, but uses souls, which can be tricky to replenish.
Rocket Launcher -> Sigh... A rune staff? Works like a grenade launcher, but the projectiles don't explode on contact, but have a timer instead. You basically have to know what's coming and how fast.
Plasma gun -> Another magic staff. Wide projectile, but kinda slow and weak.
BFG -> some kind of magic God clap that hit's everything on the screen but there's so little ammo I used it only once (twice, counting the test-fire).
[close]

bdoughty

« Reply #31465 on: July 13, 2018, 09:57:52 AM »
Started playing Rocket League again. Still in the running for most toxic community I have played with and it is made even more impressive as nobody uses a mic.

Also, fucking learn to rotate you boost whoring, ball chasing, aerial impaired, Batmobile riding whiff machine.  ;)

What a save
What a save
What a save
Okay
What a save
Wow
What a save
Okay
Wow
What a save
Okay
Wow
[close]

Corporal

« Reply #31466 on: July 13, 2018, 10:55:03 AM »
Also, fucking learn to rotate you boost whoring, ball chasing, aerial impaired, Batmobile riding whiff machine.  ;)
You played with/against me, didn't you.
 :beli

No wait, I only own the DeLorean DLC. Not me.
 :whew
!list

Freyj

« Reply #31467 on: July 13, 2018, 11:23:19 AM »
Did everything but the Grimm content, last two Coliseums and the true ending in Hollow Knight. Even did the bullshittery that is the White Palace. Fantastic game but exceedingly and unnecessarily frustrating at times.

The near obsession with shoehorning Souls like (and I love the Souls games) and Meat Boy like traits into this game are supremely disappointing. Some of that is fine, but pick a lane my dudes. If you want to make a twitch platformer then by all means do so and I’m sure many will enjoy it but I’ll know to avoid it because that shit is decidedly not “for me”.

The final final boss requiring re-fighting the final boss every time is just completely at odds with the game’s systems. The two encounters synergize with completely different charm load outs.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 04:07:40 PM by Freyj »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31468 on: July 13, 2018, 04:04:32 PM »
I don't think BoF 3 and 4 are nearly as grindy, but there is definitely some [which was the style at the time].
dog

Freyj

« Reply #31469 on: July 13, 2018, 04:09:27 PM »
Umm.... spoilers...... for agrajag?

Eh fine. The requirements are so specific I don’t know how you’d just happen into figuring out...

that there’s a final final boss
[close]

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31470 on: July 13, 2018, 04:14:49 PM »
Does BoF2 have any cheats or something to fix that? I really want to play the series, but I have little/no patience for grinding.
que

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31471 on: July 13, 2018, 05:02:56 PM »
The GBA version has increased XP and GP (like triple, afaik)

The SNES got a really fleshed out re-translation that improves the game tenfold but leaves the XP values untouched.
fat

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31472 on: July 13, 2018, 05:28:11 PM »
There's this rebalance patch for SNES that also works on the retranslation:
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3272/

agrajag

« Reply #31473 on: July 13, 2018, 08:57:58 PM »
Appreciate it guys, I don't really care about spoilers.

Currently stuck on Watcher Knight. This one is a toughie.

bluemax

« Reply #31474 on: July 14, 2018, 04:46:33 AM »
Umm.... spoilers...... for agrajag?

Anyway BoF2 is GRIND CENTRAL. Every new area you get to requires you to buy all the best stuff from Armory each time otherwise you fight like shit so you have to grind for money. The area's boss of course requires LVL grinding because why not? I didn't buy a single Equipment item in BoF1 and it  was manageable. Here I have to buy everything otherwise it's nigh unbeatable.

Crappppppppppppppppy balancing.

There's a glitch you can do at the start (that I learned from speed runners) that gives you a ton of money. On the re-translation patch I couldn't get it to work more than once but it was still enough cash to carry me to mid game. On vanilla you can get enough money to never have to think about things again. Plus you can get the fire shop in your town which gives way better equipment than you should have and carries you until you get the ocean travel and can easily go to a town with even better stuff.

Also in terms of leveling BoF2 doesn't do the standard thing where the XP amount you see at the end of battles is split evenly between all 4 party members, the game does some kind of multiplier for your other party members to give them more XP the lower their level is than the main dude.

My BoF2 character tier list:

Hero
Secret Character
Katt
Nina
Bow
Rand (but dont neglect him because he has a solo scenario)
Sten (same)
Jean/Spar (unless you use Shamans but those are so flakey that eh)
[close]

Also BoF2's first third or whatever always feels so backtrack heavy. It always ends up kinda tedious.

Game has a lot of interesting story stuff, but suffers from some bad balancing and a poor translation.

Does BoF2 have any cheats or something to fix that? I really want to play the series, but I have little/no patience for grinding.

In addition to the above listed cheats (and there is one version of the rom with a trainer patched in) there are some really simple to use utilities on rom hacking for editing monsters/your characters. The monster editing one has a button that will double xp and gold values for all monsters in the game (which I think is what they did on GBA). That alone will cut the grinding down quite a bit.

The game has some ridiculous difficulty curves early on (and the final dungeon) and also a couple spots where you have to use certain characters and can be kinda hosed if you didnt use them much beforehand.
NO

paprikastaude

« Reply #31475 on: July 15, 2018, 09:27:33 AM »
Mega Man Powered Up - uh, generally it seems like a properly playable version of Megaman 1. Except that running off the cuff seems to cut the first animation and delay the actual running to the next animation, which makes it feel like playing with input delay  ???  I don't know if this is normal, that's pretty bad for a platformer...

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31476 on: July 15, 2018, 04:05:25 PM »
A bit of Forza 7 which I got recently.
Sure it's Forza but there's a few things really good about it (and the Xbox One X).

- It finally looks right, I always felt the lighting in Forza was off for some reason. They nailed it this time.
- It has PGR vibes. Cities like Prague are gorgeous to race through and remind me of PGR
- You can listen to your own music. Unlike Horizon which has killer soundtracks the soundtrack in Forza 7 sucks. Luckily the Spotiify app works like a charm on Xbox One X.

Just start the app, grab your phone, do the spotify connect thing and play all your favorite songs.

I wanted stuff like this since the start of this generation and I always felt like the Xbox One and PS4 weren't quite there yet in terms of features.
The Xbox One X does all this stuff seamlessly which just results in a much better experience.

I had kinda given up on consoles after the original Xbox One, which felt too much like a compromise compared to my I7+GTX980 TI combo.
But the X and to some extend the Switch have made me a believer in console gaming again.
🤴

paprikastaude

« Reply #31477 on: July 15, 2018, 07:25:13 PM »
I got back into Way of Samurai 3, after getting a couple of endings I'll probably finish it up soon. There seems to still be quite a lot of stuff to discover, but the basics are getting too repetitive.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 05:35:41 AM by Spieler1 »

Corporal

« Reply #31478 on: July 15, 2018, 08:34:26 PM »
Sleepy time gaming!  :D

Plug 360 wireless transmitter into USB port. No reaction. No light. No USB events in the log. Get out of bed again. Same thing with other ports and machines. Thing's ded. Fuck. >:(

The net tells me that it's a common occurrance and I need to replace a SMD fuse (or shorten it out). It apparently randomly blows, for example when the unit sits in the sun. Not even a resettable (Poly-) fuse, it's one time only.

These fuckers glued the case shut. As in, heated the contact area and pressed the two parts of the shell together so that they melt together a bit. On top of the usual clicky snap mechanism. So you need to slide a knife in between the white and gray parts and gently loosen them, then pray and wrench the thing open. Just like normal with the clicky snappy thing, just with more force. Then remove two screws because OBVIOUSLY the fuse is at the underside of the logic board. Then happy happy SMD soldering times.

So here I am, at 2 in the morning, in mah underpants, digging though my supplies in search for SMD compatible tools and a thin yet blunt knife that's stable enough. Wish me luck that I don't knife myself in the hand or something.

As the first of probably many compromises, I've already decided that I won't be replacing the fuse and just shorten out the two pads after removing the part. Fuck my USB ports. 8)

Fake edit: Didn't hit submit, am idiot. Oh well. The surgery was a success. Didn't burn myself (UNDERPANTS), didn't butcher the transmitter, and the opening and re-closing of the case left barely any discernible scratches. Yey.
The original MSTM rechargable battery pack on my 360 controller however, is nigh empty - causing neverending blinking. And the other pack is still being charged because I'm an idiot. Fuck this shit, I'm out. G'night y'all.
!list

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31479 on: July 16, 2018, 11:42:24 AM »
Been playing Captain Toad (Switch) on and off since Friday- Previously I got to Book 2 on the the Wii U version and stopped.  Am now on Book 3 and completed all challenges up to the current level.  It's a fairly easy game overall, but it's nice to see the difficulty increasing a bit as it goes on.

My one real complaint about the game is how it handles the challenges- Why do they wait until you've completed a level to list what the bonus challenge is and add the Pixel Toad challenge?  Why not just have all that stuff there from the get-go so you don't have to replay a level 2-3 times if you want to get everything?

The hardest thing for me was Book 2, Level 18 so far- not the level itself, but the challenge- you have to get 170 coins.  I was a bit unsure how to do that at first, since it didn't seem like there were enough coins, then I checked and a FAQ said you need to clear the level without taking damage for a bonus.  I was able to run through the first 2/3rds of the level easily, but the last bit was filled with Goombas and Hammer Bros., and I kept getting hit by the 'bros and would quit out to try again.  Then after a few tries I decided to keep going and noticed that I'd missed a spot with a couple of coins...and was four coins short of the goal.  Did it again and wound up finding hidden coins I'd missed and cleared it with 186 coins...and no damage.  The latter doesn't matter at all.   Fucking FAQ :punch
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #31480 on: July 16, 2018, 01:10:18 PM »
Megaman PSP - Stuck at Yellow Devil :goty2 And at Iceman stage in original mode. There's a part with randomized platforms that's harder than everything else in the game and it sucks.

I also got Captain Toad, is there even a point to the extra achievments and pixel toads?

Corporal

« Reply #31481 on: July 16, 2018, 05:46:52 PM »
The Captain Toad Demo on Switch is such a meager offering... What, three levels, all from the first world? Terrible vertical slice. At least they included the boss of the first world (IIRC?). Kinda disappointing nonetheless. They could've showcased the new substituted levels, or the later, a bit more demanding maps with a bit more to do than walk in a straight line.
Oh well. It was a nice demo to play on the bus. And the train. And then the bus again. Fecking public transport.

Feeling good about Octopath Traveler so far. I hope I'll stick with this one. I actually managed to start it in earnest and play for a few solid tens of minutes before the universe told me to fuck myself and demanded attention. That's a good sign.  :o
!list

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31482 on: July 16, 2018, 09:23:28 PM »
I also got Captain Toad, is there even a point to the extra achievments and pixel toads?

Dunno  :lol  But it would all go by too quickly if I didn't go for that stuff, too.  I want to 100% this and then move onto Octopath.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #31483 on: July 16, 2018, 10:16:59 PM »
Been playing Hollow Knight... need some motivation to keep going, because the lack of story/lore I've come across (if any), has been next to none.  SotN or Metroid 3, this is not.  Feels like I'm only playing it for the challenge and to kill other bugs.  Dont get me wrong, the platforming designs, atmosphere and music are all really well done, but I keep asking myself, WHY do I keep going? What's the point?  Granted, I'm about 5 hours in and a little ways past the (first) hornet fight, so I probably have yet to really see what the game has to offer, but I end up only playing 1 hour segments and get bored.  I REALLY want to fall in love with this game, but alas, I'm not.  :(

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31484 on: July 17, 2018, 12:21:56 AM »
I had the same reaction. It strikes me as more Metroid than either Super Metroid or SotN. It has charming graphics but I just feel like there's something missing to really engage me.
I guess you could say it feels a little....hollow
 :heyman
que

bdoughty

« Reply #31485 on: July 17, 2018, 03:27:17 AM »
Far Cry 5: Lost on Mars DLC just released and downloaded. Hoping this is better than Hours of Darkness and having stealth be the main objective. Ended up being okay but I rarely played it as stealthy.

Bulleta©™®

• is probably playing some game
« Reply #31486 on: July 17, 2018, 05:55:16 AM »
Randomizers. Lots ant lots of randoimzers

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31487 on: July 17, 2018, 08:07:03 AM »
Been playing Hollow Knight... need some motivation to keep going, because the lack of story/lore I've come across (if any), has been next to none.  SotN or Metroid 3, this is not.  Feels like I'm only playing it for the challenge and to kill other bugs.  Dont get me wrong, the platforming designs, atmosphere and music are all really well done, but I keep asking myself, WHY do I keep going? What's the point?  Granted, I'm about 5 hours in and a little ways past the (first) hornet fight, so I probably have yet to really see what the game has to offer, but I end up only playing 1 hour segments and get bored.  I REALLY want to fall in love with this game, but alas, I'm not.  :(
I had the same reaction. It strikes me as more Metroid than either Super Metroid or SotN. It has charming graphics but I just feel like there's something missing to really engage me.
I guess you could say it feels a little....hollow
 :heyman

It didn't really grab me much, either. 
:idont

Will probably give it another chance later on.
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #31488 on: July 17, 2018, 07:52:44 PM »
Almost finished Sonic Mania on my first day.  :tocry World 2 and 3 start with too much hold-right-to-win, but afterwards it's hard to deny that this is probably the best "classic" Sonic game. Except for bringing Blue Spheres back and inflating it to the max, as if anyone ever liked it back in the day.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 06:03:46 AM by Spieler1 »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31489 on: July 18, 2018, 12:53:28 AM »
Been playing Captain Toad (Switch) on and off since Friday- Previously I got to Book 2 on the the Wii U version and stopped.  Am now on Book 3 and completed all challenges up to the current level.  It's a fairly easy game overall, but it's nice to see the difficulty increasing a bit as it goes on.

My one real complaint about the game is how it handles the challenges- Why do they wait until you've completed a level to list what the bonus challenge is and add the Pixel Toad challenge?  Why not just have all that stuff there from the get-go so you don't have to replay a level 2-3 times if you want to get everything?

The hardest thing for me was Book 2, Level 18 so far- not the level itself, but the challenge- you have to get 170 coins.  I was a bit unsure how to do that at first, since it didn't seem like there were enough coins, then I checked and a FAQ said you need to clear the level without taking damage for a bonus.  I was able to run through the first 2/3rds of the level easily, but the last bit was filled with Goombas and Hammer Bros., and I kept getting hit by the 'bros and would quit out to try again.  Then after a few tries I decided to keep going and noticed that I'd missed a spot with a couple of coins...and was four coins short of the goal.  Did it again and wound up finding hidden coins I'd missed and cleared it with 186 coins...and no damage.  The latter doesn't matter at all.   Fucking FAQ :punch

Adding hours to replay value. Probably mentioned once in a dev meeting, Marketing overheard it and insisted the hours added would prevent some sales lost to re-sale. I dislike this kind of thing, too. Like, it's fun when you finish a level and it shows that you cleared something immediately.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31490 on: July 18, 2018, 12:55:07 AM »
Trials Evolution is clearly superior to Trials Fusion
Trials Fusion - I think my only experience with this series was a browser version centuries ago. Pretty cool PS+ game and they might have made me purchase the next one. Though this iteration seems to be have a real problem with having a normal difficulty curve. It gives you tutorials for techniques you don't need for the majority of the game, it's pretty easy until like the second to last world and then just turns challenge up 10x. Like, you can still get through with shit rankings, but there's been way too little maps actually teaching me shit up until that point. I guess they expect you to have played the previous entries - but then again, why would it be so easy until the end.

The iOS version of it is pretty good, too. Oddly, they chose to make the tvOS version of it require a controller. I guess the remote's accelerometers were insufficient? But using Play/Touchpad-click would have been sufficient. Lame.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #31491 on: July 18, 2018, 02:42:52 AM »
Mixing Lost Odyssey and Octopath. Kaim is the blandest nicca alive but this is some entertaining shit so far.
reckt

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #31492 on: July 18, 2018, 12:48:39 PM »
Sad my save game is in an unbeatable segment now. :'(

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #31493 on: July 18, 2018, 09:37:09 PM »
i'm 3-4 hours into Battletech, and i'm enjoying it. it's like a slightly worse XCOM, but it's about giant robots beating the shit out each other, which really does add to my enjoyment. there's something really satisfying about curb stomping disabled mechs or kicking a tank over before filling it with machine gun fire, Robocop style. the cutscenes are really cheap and i'm generally not a fan of the digital painting-turned-cutscene via flash animation that's popped up everywhere in recent years, but i do really like how the story unfolds in the ship. i generally don't really care about stories in games, but i actually took the effort to look at all the options available in the character build screen, and it's cool that the background options inform your choices in game.

i do wish combat was a little faster though. even with fast combat enabled, the fights feel a lot less 'snappy' than xcom. i think it's kind of a catch 22 since you can't really have the mechs running around like foot soldiers if you want to properly telegraph the momentum of a 30 foot tall robot.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31494 on: July 19, 2018, 01:13:06 AM »
Trying my hand at Dark Souls Remastered I finished bloodborne and thought it was damned brilliant. I've only beat the first non-tutorial boss. While I like the familiar feel of bloodborne, I feel like I'm playing a lesser version of a much better game, like I've played the best in the series and it's all downhill from here. I'll likely stick it out just to work my way through the series. But we'll see.
que

Boredfrom

« Reply #31495 on: July 19, 2018, 03:21:37 AM »
Have some DX2 pics.

I really liked the story in this game, it was much more interesting than Jensen chasing train station bombers in DX4. Of course being a direct sequel to DX1 kind of enforces you have to have an interesting story. And it is spanning the whole world: NY, Seattle, Germany and Egypt. 3 hubs!

They went with JC merging with Helios as the canon ending of DX1. It didn't go as well as JC hoped to and he got big health problems and had to be put in cryo in order for the merging process to smoothly end. And this is your main mission - save/ kill JC Denton and his brother Paul.

Main character is so bland that there is no point in mentioning him. JC is in the game - fully voiced with dialogues; not some shitty cameo - so he is the main character for me. Last level was trying to ride on that nostalgia feels (UNATCO HQ) but it was very poorly done. In fact the same level in DX1 is miles better - the golden standard, the set up for all future DX levels.

(Image removed from quote.)

JC Denton. Jesus Christ. The God.

Game is braindead easy even on the highest difficulty setting. In typical DX fashion you do not need any other Augs than Hacking/ Strength (only for Inventory Size). I had over 30 unused Augs at the end of the game :lol

Yeah, everything is BLUE in this game as this was the color theme of DX1/2. Interesting enough with GOLD being the official theme of DX3/4 there is a move towards the BLUE in the end of DX4 and according to designers this was on purpouse - to get closer to the DX1 look since it is happening very soon.

I think the single biggest disappointment of DX2 are the dialogues and VO. I could live with small, connected levels but the dialogues and voice recording is abysmal here. And this isn't the fault of PS2 memory constraints.

:punch LAZY DEVS :gun

The game atmosphere and story is pretty good. I really like the game, but it had the benefit of being my first Deus Ex game.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #31496 on: July 19, 2018, 05:44:29 PM »
i'm 3-4 hours into Battletech, and i'm enjoying it. it's like a slightly worse XCOM, but it's about giant robots beating the shit out each other, which really does add to my enjoyment. there's something really satisfying about curb stomping disabled mechs or kicking a tank over before filling it with machine gun fire, Robocop style. the cutscenes are really cheap and i'm generally not a fan of the digital painting-turned-cutscene via flash animation that's popped up everywhere in recent years, but i do really like how the story unfolds in the ship. i generally don't really care about stories in games, but i actually took the effort to look at all the options available in the character build screen, and it's cool that the background options inform your choices in game.

i do wish combat was a little faster though. even with fast combat enabled, the fights feel a lot less 'snappy' than xcom. i think it's kind of a catch 22 since you can't really have the mechs running around like foot soldiers if you want to properly telegraph the momentum of a 30 foot tall robot.

It's good but like i tell ppl when they ask you gotta really be into the setting to get the most out of it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 11:39:48 PM by toku »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #31497 on: July 19, 2018, 06:55:46 PM »

It's good but like i tell ppl when i ask you gotta really be into the setting to get the most out of it.

so far i am. i got to the part where
*GASP* THE PRINCESS WAS IN ANOTHER DROPSHIP
[close]
and despite seeing it coming from miles away i'm still really enjoying the story. i think it helps that it's almost all conveyed via text and most of it is optional. if it were delivered mostly via cutscene i'd probably just tune out, but i actually kinda care about the scrappy group of ruffians making up my crew.

i'd heard mostly positive things, but honestly the tangential relationship to the Mechwarrior games alone was enough to get me to bite once i found it for the right price. i was absolute garbage at those games as a kid but i have very fond memories since they were my first real experience being able to play a giant mech game. would really love to see those old ones pop up on GOG or Steam some day

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #31498 on: July 19, 2018, 09:35:43 PM »
the old Mechwarrior games have a licensing thing iirc, they're Activision published but the license is FASA, so nobody technically owns both parts of the game or something or they just don't want to figure it out...i reckon GOG has definitely looked into them

Mechwarrior 2 is on the PS1 and Saturn, it's similar to 2 on the PC, same settings, mission premises, etc. but the whole game is made to be more action focused, less simulation like, and your mech is made more nimble, etc. PS1 i think even has the, at the time, 3dfx exclusive textures or whatever

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #31499 on: July 19, 2018, 10:31:30 PM »
i had a feeling it was a licensing thing. cmon, if the powers at be can figure out how to put the Descent series up (sometimes?) on steam they can get this done too, right? right?!?