Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 1405261 times)

Cindi Mayweather

• You gonna scroll past this post without saying howdy?
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #34260 on: February 07, 2019, 09:48:31 AM »
I read the kotaku article on cuphead.

Jfc

“All the garbage” in this case means the deep-seated racism and reactionary politics which surrounded early American animation. Art doesn’t arise out of nothing, from no one and from nowhere. People create it. The dream of being able look to the past and extricate what we find free from baggage is understandable, but as Cole shows, can have the unintended consequence of compounding the sin. Where characters of color were originally depicted with racist imagery, they now risk not getting depicted at all.

:confused

Black people not depicted? Neither are white people. Every character in Cuphead is anthropomorphic.

The style isn’t inherently racist. It was the content that was. This is like accusing painting of being racist just because the same technique was used to paint minstrel posters. Or that film is racist because it was used to make Birth of a Nation.

Art doesn’t arise out of nothing, but the technique is clearly established and are the fundamentals of the medium. Why should animators throw out the technique to appease you?

This is baffling logic and as a black animator I find it more than insulting.

porkbun

« Reply #34261 on: February 07, 2019, 10:18:31 AM »
I read the kotaku article on cuphead.

Jfc

“All the garbage” in this case means the deep-seated racism and reactionary politics which surrounded early American animation. Art doesn’t arise out of nothing, from no one and from nowhere. People create it. The dream of being able look to the past and extricate what we find free from baggage is understandable, but as Cole shows, can have the unintended consequence of compounding the sin. Where characters of color were originally depicted with racist imagery, they now risk not getting depicted at all.

:confused

Black people not depicted? Neither are white people. Every character in Cuphead is anthropomorphic.

The style isn’t inherently racist. It was the content that was. This is like accusing painting of being racist just because the same technique was used to paint minstrel posters. Or that film is racist because it was used to make Birth of a Nation.

Art doesn’t arise out of nothing, but the technique is clearly established and are the fundamentals of the medium. Why should animators throw out the technique to appease you?

This is baffling logic and as a black animator I find it more than insulting.

Don't question how upper middle-class white people are trying to make you safe from problematic depictions of yourself.  How dare you.

:trigger

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #34262 on: February 07, 2019, 11:30:35 AM »
The most absurd logical leap is when he quotes some writer that the old cartoons dredge up bad memories. If they grew up in America 99% that turns out to be bullshit. The cartoons they cite were banned. Cartoon Network for instance would air regular blocks of hours of old cartoons. ABC would air Looney Tunes for three full hours on Saturday morning before the education programming mandate came about. I would watch them whenever because I was a fiend for toons and they aired not a single one of those offensive cartoons. Those racist toons are the ones you have to seek out and in no way take up the cultural imagination of that era now. So bad memories? What bad memories? When most people think of that era they think of this.

Which is as innocent as all possible.

So the conclusion that the style is intrinsically racist and tied to the medium is big, fat lie. Were there offensive, dehumanizing works made then? Absolutely. But to pretend that it’s the first thing people think of is just straight up Ducktales.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:35:15 AM by Cindi Mayweather »

Philip Cardgage

• Frank O'Conner's (Franchise Development Director of the once well reviewed Halo series) Life Coach
« Reply #34263 on: February 07, 2019, 11:46:22 AM »
:bow Division 2 Beta :bow2

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #34264 on: February 07, 2019, 12:55:42 PM »
Sceneman, BUY CUPHEAD :bow

Don Rumata

« Reply #34265 on: February 07, 2019, 03:20:21 PM »

The Sceneman

• I need to get huge, I need to stay huge.
« Reply #34266 on: February 07, 2019, 07:56:56 PM »
Beat the main game in Celeste last night.

Wow! One of the best vidya game stories ever. Will defo stay with me. It dealt with mature concepts in a layered, nuanced, and most importantly, non-tacky way. Game journos were actually right with this one.

Thematic spoilers:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
As someone who has battled with depression most of their life, this game really nailed some great concepts of mindfulness. The core metaphor of climbing a mountain is simple enough for kids to understand, yet theres a lot more to it than that. I loved the story of the "other part" of Madeline. The message that this other, dark part of you can exist, and it can be ok - you can be aware of it, and work with it, learn from it, and because of it you can achieve greater things. I don't think I'd be as driven to succeed as I am now if I didn't endure my all of my hardships and self-doubt. Man I'm tearing up while I'm typing this, lol. But yeah, Celeste has actually helped me frame certain aspects of my life in a new way, which is amazing.

That's awesome about your spoiler bit. Yeah I really liked the story side even if it was short.

Did you mess with the b-sides?

Yeah I finished the first 2 B-Sides while playing through the main game. They're tough and frustrating! The last screen in B-Side 2 made me almost pull my hair out. I'll do 'em all as I'm glutton for punishment (and I like collecting achievements)

Bebpo

« Reply #34267 on: February 07, 2019, 08:06:43 PM »
Yup. I did the first 3 and I could probably do more but it's a bit too hard/frustrating for me so bailed out at that point. I still gotta watch at least a youtube run of the mountain core stage to see what the ending of it's like.

Coax

« Reply #34268 on: February 08, 2019, 12:27:21 AM »

The recent AGDQ speedrun of this was eye-opening to me. He beat this boss in ~50 seconds and most bosses way faster than I thought was possible. From memory this was achieved by effectively bypassing the cooldown timer between shots of one of the weapons by switching between them rapidly (see the bottom-left).

I gave up about half way through the game so I should probably be taking more notes. Git gud, Coax :maf
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 12:36:34 AM by Coax »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34269 on: February 08, 2019, 12:32:24 AM »

Played this for a bit and am just not seeing what's so hot here- it's like playing Uncharted battles with no real stealth and hiding spot options, over and over again.  Does it get better?
ど助平

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #34270 on: February 08, 2019, 12:37:09 AM »

The recent AGDQ speedrun of this was eye-opening to me. He beat this boss in ~50 seconds and most bosses way faster than I thought was possible. From memory this was achieved by effectively bypassing the cooldown timer between shots of one of the weapons by switching between them rapidly (see the bottom-left).

I figured that would be op.

In the video you see me occasionally flipping between weapons on the fly while idle as I wait. I’m pretty sure that’s what he’s doing? Doing that you basically are cancelling your recovery from the shot and doubling the shot. I’ll try it out. I figured it would help but I hadn’t bothered applying it yet.

Spieler1

« Reply #34271 on: February 08, 2019, 02:17:16 AM »
Bought it a while ago and wanted to try it yesterday and it's great. Got 25% through the game in a sitting! Didn't take long to do either but it's all so great.

People compare it to Contra, but it's actually a modern Treasure game. Straight up boss rush game. Even got parrying like Alien Soldier.

also the transformations of several bosses are more like crazy japanese parodius things than anything from a cartoon.

Don Rumata

« Reply #34272 on: February 08, 2019, 09:00:41 AM »

Played this for a bit and am just not seeing what's so hot here- it's like playing Uncharted battles with no real stealth and hiding spot options, over and over again.  Does it get better?
I don't know about Division 2, but Division 1 was only worth it/fun if you were playing with friends.
It's one of those games where you get to see the numbers go up while you spend time with friends, and if you like the tacticool aesthetic, then it can be enjoyable.
I can't imagine playing it with random strangers, let alone by yourself.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34273 on: February 08, 2019, 09:08:40 AM »

I gave up about half way through the game so I should probably be taking more notes. Git gud, Coax :maf

Yes, the game was stupid broken if you used certain weapons and just keep swapping between them. I think it was patched, so not sure what is current strats.

I really wish this game had online. I need to sit down to Cuphead one day, I picked it up because it looks so gorgeous.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:12:49 AM by demi »
fat

Philip Cardgage

• Frank O'Conner's (Franchise Development Director of the once well reviewed Halo series) Life Coach
« Reply #34274 on: February 08, 2019, 10:49:10 AM »

The fact that the normal setting is easier now kind of eats away at the strategy needed for higher settings. If you play with a group, there are builds that compliment each other, and you can totally go it solo too. I did a fair amount of both in the first game.

Dark Zone is fun. Has a high risk/reward factor.

The game really gets interesting at higher difficulties but I see why people would see it as bland on normal.

Spieler1

« Reply #34275 on: February 08, 2019, 12:03:50 PM »
Devil May Cry 5 demo - dat RE engine and OST doing work.

benjipwns

« Reply #34276 on: February 08, 2019, 02:09:58 PM »
where's the map in the Division 2 beta at? is it down by The Mall?

wondering if it's worth downloading just to look around in

okay, so maybe i just want to go by the various buildings and see

alright alright you got me, i want to go by the trash can outside the Department of Education where i saw a homeless man get a jar of "mayonnaise (?)" out of it, open it up, sniff it, shrug and put it in his coat
meowr

KennyLoggins

« Reply #34277 on: February 08, 2019, 02:12:10 PM »
i saw a homeless man get a jar of "mayonnaise (?)" out of it, open it up, sniff it, shrug and put it in his coat
:cac

benjipwns

« Reply #34278 on: February 08, 2019, 02:16:36 PM »
DC has the best mentally ill watching on the East Coast, it's practically San Francisco tier
meowr

Philip Cardgage

« Reply #34279 on: February 08, 2019, 02:58:44 PM »
where's the map in the Division 2 beta at? is it down by The Mall?

wondering if it's worth downloading just to look around in

okay, so maybe i just want to go by the various buildings and see

alright alright you got me, i want to go by the trash can outside the Department of Education where i saw a homeless man get a jar of "mayonnaise (?)" out of it, open it up, sniff it, shrug and put it in his coat

Oh, you mean Jarry McMayo.

Stro

• I'm just a dragon-canine boye
« Reply #34280 on: February 08, 2019, 04:19:13 PM »
I've been playing through LEGO DC Villains. It's okay. I mean they've pretty much been making the same game for like 16 years now, but this certainly feels like a step down from the Batman ones and Marvel Super Heroes 1.

When are they going to stop fucking around and do a DC/Marvel LEGO game :rage

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #34281 on: February 09, 2019, 01:11:01 AM »
I've been playing through LEGO DC Villains. It's okay. I mean they've pretty much been making the same game for like 16 years now, but this certainly feels like a step down from the Batman ones and Marvel Super Heroes 1.

Thinking about the licensing issues alone with that is going to give me a stroke.

Crash Dummy

« Reply #34282 on: February 09, 2019, 08:19:27 AM »
Devil May Cry 5 demo - dat RE engine and OST doing work.
same, taking a break from witcher 3 and have been replaying this demo whenever i can

Stro

« Reply #34283 on: February 09, 2019, 08:36:26 AM »

Thinking about the licensing issues alone with that is going to give me a stroke.

They've mixed multiple licenses for games and movies in the past, Marvel and DC have worked together multiple times in the past, the makers of the games have the license to both...I don't think it'd be that big of an issue.

Bebpo

« Reply #34284 on: February 10, 2019, 04:02:02 AM »

AC Origins - Made my way to and through Letopolis and took out The Scarab. Was pretty good story and the quests were cool too. When it flashed back to Aya bits was prepared to want to get back to Bayek but the Black Flag sea combat stuff in the Aegen Sea was funny and looked nice. Heading to Giza and the Pyramids now for the next target. Still digging this entry. ~23 hours in/lvl.25 now.

Only thing I don't like at this point is because of the leveling system, your gear quickly gets outdated and then your super awesome gold tier loot bow that has been one-shotting stealth kills doesn't do one-shot damage anymore and alerts everyone so that's no good. Upgrade costs to bring weapons up to your level are pretty expensive and despite doing like everything 100% so far I don't have much money. Not sure how you're supposed to make money in the game. End up just using whatever weapons I pick up lately that are closer to my level because the extra damage goes a long way for stuff like bows.

Bebpo

« Reply #34285 on: February 10, 2019, 05:06:46 AM »
I do think the AC games can be a little more nuanced though.

Start a quest - “my husband’s sick and he won’t be able to make money and pay his taxes”
Bayek- “I’ll see what I can do”

New quest objective “Go murder the tax collector”

Sometimes this stuff feels like we’re back in 1992 of game design.

HardcoreRetro

• DIGITAL MAN
« Reply #34286 on: February 10, 2019, 05:40:15 AM »
Be happy you aren't playing Odyssey, where the writing is even worse.

MMaRsu

« Reply #34287 on: February 10, 2019, 08:13:42 AM »
Been playing Apex Legends all week, havent touched any other games  :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #34288 on: February 11, 2019, 09:32:46 AM »

They've mixed multiple licenses for games and movies in the past, Marvel and DC have worked together multiple times in the past, the makers of the games have the license to both...I don't think it'd be that big of an issue.

I'm not familiar with which games they worked on that had both DC and Marvel licenses simultaneously. I've seen the comics where Superman and Spider-Man team up, etc. but those all pre-date Disney purchasing Marvel, IIRC. Lego licenses the properties to make toys, and it's possible they included video games as part of that. But Traveler's Tales doesn't hold the power in that relationship.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34289 on: February 11, 2019, 10:56:07 AM »
I finished 428: Shibuya Scramble (platinum)

It's a VN involving real actors and real locations in Shibuya and surrounding areas. It's actually pretty good!

It gets kinda wacky at points but for the most part the story is pretty grounded in reality, no sci-fi shit and anime bullshit.

VNs are hard to play on console since you just sit there and read, so I used my Vita and Remote Play and used that while in bed (after a well deserved fap of course). Once you get the ending there's some other side stories you can unlock and read.

fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34290 on: February 11, 2019, 11:30:42 AM »
Been playing Tokyo Xanadu ex+, and it's even more of a Persona game than Trails of Cold Steel. Not that I'm complaining. It doesn't have the narrative depth of Cold Steel or the impressive production values of Persona, but I actually like that about it. Makes for a bit more laid back experience, no sprawling geopolitical storyline to follow and no worrying over min/maxing what I'm doing at any given time.

Not sure why you are comparing it to Persona. It is a Ys game re-skinned (Trails of Ys?) - it even uses the same mechanics and orbals from Trails games
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34291 on: February 11, 2019, 11:33:50 AM »
Trails of Cold Steel was clearly going for a more Persona-style game than Trails in the Sky, or previous Falcom games [like Ys]. Tokyo Xanadu is even more like Persona. Not a complaint, just an observation. :yeshrug
dog

Freyj

« Reply #34292 on: February 11, 2019, 11:42:58 AM »
Am I crazy in feeling that Marvel's Spider-Man is nothing particularly special? The story beats are alright I guess but the content is generic as can be. I'd take pretty much any of the Arkham games over this.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34293 on: February 11, 2019, 11:43:46 AM »
Nope, Spider-Man is pretty by the numbers. Even the ending is kinda half-assed

It's not a bad game though, I enjoyed it
fat

Freyj

« Reply #34294 on: February 11, 2019, 11:44:47 AM »
Yeah it's not bad by any stretch I'm just thoroughly underwhelmed.

kingv

« Reply #34295 on: February 11, 2019, 12:04:24 PM »
I feel that the last 20% or so of Spider-Man helps to redeem it a lot.

It’s still somewhat by the numbers, but the last section is a lot more intense and exciting.

The game has terrible pacing. Over half of it feels like filler.

Stro

« Reply #34296 on: February 11, 2019, 03:08:45 PM »

I'm not familiar with which games they worked on that had both DC and Marvel licenses simultaneously. I've seen the comics where Superman and Spider-Man team up, etc. but those all pre-date Disney purchasing Marvel, IIRC. Lego licenses the properties to make toys, and it's possible they included video games as part of that. But Traveler's Tales doesn't hold the power in that relationship.

I didn't mean there had been Marvel/DC crossover games, but they had multiple crossovers and even their own shared universe. It's not weird for them to do work with each other. As for LEGO/TT, the LEGO movie (and associated game) and LEGO Dimensions mixed multiple franchises, so it's not a crazy idea to mix Marvel and DC for a game, imo

Franchises
The game features characters and worlds from thirty different franchises, consisting of:[5]

The A-Team
Adventure Time
Back to the Future
Beetlejuice
DC Comics
Doctor Who
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters (2016)
The Goonies
Gremlins
Harry Potter
Jurassic World
Knight Rider
Legends of Chima
Lego City
The Lego Batman Movie
The Lego Movie
The Lord of the Rings
Midway Arcade
Mission: Impossible
Ninjago
Portal 2
The Powerpuff Girls
Scooby-Doo
The Simpsons
Sonic the Hedgehog
Teen Titans Go!
The Wizard of Oz
The game also features character and setting cameos from other franchises, including the Space Odyssey series, CW's The Flash, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, and Red Dwarf.[6]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34297 on: February 11, 2019, 11:06:58 PM »
Pulled the trigger on Jump Force for PC.  The Ultimate Edition (Game and season pass crap) was discounted a bit on GMG, plus it gives you access to the game now before the official release date on Friday.

And it's...pretty good!?  I mean, there's some jank for sure, but it's a much-improved take on J-Stars Victory Vs., which wasn't all that great.  This game reminds me a bit more of One Piece Burning Blood, which I thought was a better arena fighter.

To start, you create your own character and go through a tutorial.  Once you get through that and things get going, the game is kind of like Dragonball Xenoverse, where you're in a big lobby (you can go online and see other players as well) and can run around and do missions.  Winning fights levels you up and gets you money, which you can use to buy items, skills, and outfits.  Your custom character can use most of the characters' moves (it's possible more may open up, but initially I noticed some characters' moves unavailable), so you can mix and match attacks and make a Luffy/Goku hybrid if you want.

The graphics look pretty nice once things get going.  It's got a pretty clean, detailed look and while the "realistic" take on the characters can be weird at times, the way special moves and supers are animated is pretty slick.  I was getting pretty hype once I got the hang of things and saw some crazy attacks coming out.

Haven't played the game online yet, so can't comment on the playerbase or quality of matches.  Saw lots of players already in the lobby though.  One thing I noticed is that a lot of hair/outfit styles are available for characters who aren't in the game, and with the mixing and matching of movesets, you can kind of make some of them.  Saw a lot of Namis and Android 18s running around, for instance.
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #34298 on: February 11, 2019, 11:43:52 PM »
What type of game is it? I couldn’t really tell from the trailer if it was a brawler or a fighting game.

Beezy

« Reply #34299 on: February 12, 2019, 01:21:07 AM »
Pulled the trigger on Jump Force for PC.  The Ultimate Edition (Game and season pass crap) was discounted a bit on GMG, plus it gives you access to the game now before the official release date on Friday.

And it's...pretty good!?  I mean, there's some jank for sure, but it's a much-improved take on J-Stars Victory Vs., which wasn't all that great.  This game reminds me a bit more of One Piece Burning Blood, which I thought was a better arena fighter.

Oh? I guess I'm buying this.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #34300 on: February 12, 2019, 05:00:32 AM »

I didn't mean there had been Marvel/DC crossover games, but they had multiple crossovers and even their own shared universe. It's not weird for them to do work with each other. As for LEGO/TT, the LEGO movie (and associated game) and LEGO Dimensions mixed multiple franchises, so it's not a crazy idea to mix Marvel and DC for a game, imo

Franchises
The game features characters and worlds from thirty different franchises, consisting of:[5]

The A-Team
Adventure Time
Back to the Future
Beetlejuice
DC Comics
Doctor Who
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters (2016)
The Goonies
Gremlins
Harry Potter
Jurassic World
Knight Rider
Legends of Chima
Lego City
The Lego Batman Movie
The Lego Movie
The Lord of the Rings
Midway Arcade
Mission: Impossible
Ninjago
Portal 2
The Powerpuff Girls
Scooby-Doo
The Simpsons
Sonic the Hedgehog
Teen Titans Go!
The Wizard of Oz
The game also features character and setting cameos from other franchises, including the Space Odyssey series, CW's The Flash, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, and Red Dwarf.[6]

Yeah, that's a fair assessment. I'd still rather teach English indefinitely than have license management for that be my "game industry" job. Having dealt with licensors before, I just look at that scenario and start twitching.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34301 on: February 12, 2019, 05:52:49 AM »
What type of game is it? I couldn’t really tell from the trailer if it was a brawler or a fighting game.

It's a fighting game- very simple, but has enough to make it potentially fun for a while.

One thing I didn't mention that I hate about it is the insane amount of motion blur in the lobby area. 
ど助平

Chim Richalds

« Reply #34302 on: February 12, 2019, 02:39:05 PM »
Played about 3 hours of The Division 2 beta before I called it quits.  I love The Division, have a ton of hours in it, and 2 is so similar that if I played any more of the beta I'd get sick of it.  Still buying it, still looking forward to it, but continuing the beta would have put me off of playing it for a while.  I do miss the snow and the desolate feel of NYC...DC is going to have to have some really cool environments to surpass 1 in that regard.

RE2 remake...finished Claire's A campaign and started Leon A before I move on to the B scenarios.  I was 18 when the original came out, and this one hit a lot of nostalgia buttons, especially with the original OST activated.

Destiny 2 still has its hooks in me, unfortunately.

CatsCatsCats

« Reply #34303 on: February 12, 2019, 02:51:22 PM »
All this cuphead talk, might hafta go back and finish the game plus option
😽💨

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #34304 on: February 12, 2019, 03:13:28 PM »

The game has terrible pacing. Over half of it feels like filler.

I guess Insomniac had to stay true to the Marvel formula.

The Sceneman

• I need to get huge, I need to stay huge.
« Reply #34305 on: February 12, 2019, 04:10:21 PM »
got all 175 strawberries in Celeste and finished the bonus stage. Still another 6 B-Sides to complete  :'( Game has a lot of content!

I started on Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon. Seems pretty good although I've mostly played the IGAvanias and not well versed in the classics. The bosses are really cool!

And of course the soundtrack rips into a classic Castlevania banger for the first stage:

Freyj

« Reply #34306 on: February 12, 2019, 11:47:21 PM »
Spider-Man DLC

The Heist: Storywise it’s alright. Nothing special really. Black Cat is good, Mob is zzzzz.

Turf Wars: You could probably skip this whole DLC and miss basically nothing. Boring, pointless.

It’s pretty telling that Insomnaic had almost no idea what to do with this game but put you in combat arenas with wave after wave of generic goons.

Spider-Man thus far has been:

10% middling to good story
15% web slinging
75% fighting the same endless, shitty, copy pasted 4 or so mob / thug looking guys

kingv

« Reply #34307 on: February 13, 2019, 12:13:34 AM »
Definitely the first dlc is the best one.

Silver sable is pretty dull.

Imo they have the mechanics more or less right in the game (although the web swinging could have a higher skill ceiling and be faster) but they need to realize that the most interesting thing one can do as Spider-Man is have him fight super villains. Period.

These type of games need to just be stocked nut to butt with super villain encounters.

Freyj

« Reply #34308 on: February 13, 2019, 01:21:02 AM »
Yep. Majorly missed the mark there. Like I said before I’d take any of the Arkham games easily over this.

Silver Linings also a wet fart. AAA DLC is a scam.

kingv

« Reply #34309 on: February 13, 2019, 08:43:42 AM »
If I was in charge of the Spider-Man game I would have kept the same basic outline but changed up the game a lot. I’d have put 3-4 mission mini-stories in between the current missions where you track down, fight, and solve crimes for each of the characters that eventually get sprung from the raft.

Have a little mini campaign for each of electro, rhino, vulture, etc.

And maybe kill some of the missions that are already there to condense the story a bit... and get rid of any part where you play as not-Spider-Man and turn it into a 30 second cutscene.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34310 on: February 13, 2019, 10:44:06 PM »
Maybe this would have just been too much for their first game, but with Spider-Verse hype, I would have preferred to have multiple playable Spider-Men instead of just Peter Parker.  Like instead of just getting those suits...you get to play as Miles, Gwen, Superior, Noir, 2099, etc.  Marvel was already quick to bring the Spider-Man from the game into their comics- A Spider-Verse/Spider-Geddon game would make a lot of sense.

Ditto on the DLC- why not make Black Cat a playable character and give her different mission types and things to do. 
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #34311 on: February 14, 2019, 12:23:07 AM »
Yeah, that would be pretty cool too.

I actually liked that edge of spider whatever game from 7 or 8 years ago where you played as multiple spider men. It was obviously not open world, but it was fun.

Freyj

« Reply #34312 on: February 14, 2019, 02:52:11 AM »
Playing Onimusha Remaster for the first time since Genma Onimusha came out I think. Such a gem of a game. Hopefully 2 & 3 get the this treatment as well.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34313 on: February 14, 2019, 10:28:20 AM »

Oh? I guess I'm buying this.

Just want to say- don't buy this at release tomorrow.  With the reception the game is getting, it's bound to go bomba and get discounted quick.  Sucks because it's really fun for what it is.  Oh well.
:idont
ど助平

Stro

« Reply #34314 on: February 14, 2019, 11:59:34 AM »
Maybe this would have just been too much for their first game, but with Spider-Verse hype, I would have preferred to have multiple playable Spider-Men instead of just Peter Parker.  Like instead of just getting those suits...you get to play as Miles, Gwen, Superior, Noir, 2099, etc.  Marvel was already quick to bring the Spider-Man from the game into their comics- A Spider-Verse/Spider-Geddon game would make a lot of sense.

Ditto on the DLC- why not make Black Cat a playable character and give her different mission types and things to do.

They already made this game. Twice, I believe.

Don Rumata

« Reply #34315 on: February 14, 2019, 12:00:44 PM »
Finally got to play DMC5's demo.

I think i'm finally giving up on this series.
I honestly don't find the humor all that charming, and (more importantly) i just can't gel with the combat, i'll just never get used to dodging with a jump.

I think i'll stick with Bayonetta (and all the Platinum's copycats of it) and hope for a new Ninja Gaiden, then.

Bebpo

« Reply #34316 on: February 14, 2019, 12:17:02 PM »
You mean left/right sidestepping? I mean that’s kinda how all dodging was before Bayo’s instant dodge button.

Don Rumata

« Reply #34317 on: February 14, 2019, 12:20:48 PM »
You mean left/right sidestepping? I mean that’s kinda how all dodging was before Bayo’s instant dodge button.
Yeah but like, in Ninja Gaiden i held block, and then i could dodge in any direction.
In DMC you sidestep only if you dodge left/right compared to the character, otherwise you jump, which fucks with my brain.
I dunno, compared to those two other action games, i feel like i'm stuck in place almost.

I do like the arms thing though, it seems like it has a lot of options/depth to explore.

Bebpo

« Reply #34318 on: February 14, 2019, 12:26:28 PM »
But in DMC you generally always are holding lock-on so left/right + jump should always dodge.

Did you play DMC1-4? I can see it being odd if you're just coming into the series from NG or Bayo. But it's definitely something I've noticed playing all the games from the start.

Don Rumata

« Reply #34319 on: February 14, 2019, 12:46:20 PM »
But in DMC you generally always are holding lock-on so left/right + jump should always dodge.

Did you play DMC1-4? I can see it being odd if you're just coming into the series from NG or Bayo. But it's definitely something I've noticed playing all the games from the start.
I guess i'm not used to lock on that much, in crowded action games (as opposed to slower ones, like Souls).
In Bayo and Ninja Gaiden, you don't really actively lock, for the most part (or at least, i don't).

I finished DMC1 as a kid (when it came out), and played a bit (only got to the first fire centaur boss) in 4, quit that one for the same reason, lol.
I also finished that DmC one, for kicks, though that one has just a regular dodge (didn't hate it, but i also didn't care much about it, and the enemies/world were boring compared to the more gothic DMCs).

I do own them all, incidentally.
I keep buying them just to never play them.

That makes me think also, in Dragon's dogma 2 i mostly played classes with daggers, because they had the roll dodge ability.

I should also point out that i'm very casual when it comes to action games, so most of the subtleties are lost on me, but i do enjoy them.