Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3559859 times)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #34920 on: May 21, 2020, 07:21:36 AM »
Reading this screed makes me even more excited for Last of Us 2. Since I'm only buying it to a private stream so me and a friend can shit on it. (Unless it's good and that's fine too. Get my money's worth either way)

Svejk

« Reply #34921 on: May 21, 2020, 11:18:31 AM »
I noped the fuck outta playing TLOU2 after breaking down to read the spoiler threads.  Saved me a good $60.  I'm more than content with the way the first one ended...  This will fall along nicely with The Matrix, Toy Story 3, Return of the Jedi, Zillion, among many other entertainment media that should've quit while they were ahead. 

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34922 on: May 21, 2020, 02:11:40 PM »
I noped the fuck outta playing TLOU2 after breaking down to read the spoiler threads.  Saved me a good $60.  I'm more than content with the way the first one ended...  This will fall along nicely with The Matrix, Toy Story 3, Return of the Jedi, Zillion, among many other entertainment media that should've quit while they were ahead.

Im sorry Svejk but thats a dumbass opinion.

Oh you read some spoilers about a game that's not even out yet

now the game will be a terrible turd

:lol
What

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #34923 on: May 21, 2020, 03:13:24 PM »
I beat DQB2 and now I have a bit of postgame stuff to do... will probably spend the next few days doing the postgame and then moving on. I think after the holiday imma do a chronological pass through my backlog - starting at NES, then moving all the way to the Wii, playing 2-3 backlogged games per system.

I liked DQB2 a lot but I felt there were parts where it really overstayed its welcome. It could have done with some trimming down and less handholding, for sure.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #34924 on: May 21, 2020, 04:01:56 PM »
I'm probably gonna regret this statement, but having not looked at the TLOU2 spoilers, I'm not really worried about TLOU2 delivering a very good game from start to finish.

Unlike Sony Santa Monica Studios which hadn't made a game since Ascension in 2013 and GoW3 in 2010 which isn't really a great studio track record of game & story-telling design leading up to GoW 2018, Naughty Dog has been a really consistent studio at bringing out games that feel feature complete, tell a full satisfying narrative story and have good gameplay. Uncharted 4, while a little weak for the series (still better than 1/3, so 2nd best; if it had supernatural pirates or something maybe would've been 1st) was still a very good satisfying game with the best stealth/gunplay in the series and a full narrative story. TLoU delivered on gameplay & story as well. Hell, I'd say Naughty Dog hasn't made a single "bad" game yet. Jak II was actually pretty damn good despite the haters and Uncharted III's combat is frustrating bullshit at too many times but it's still a solid game and they even admit it was rushed which probably is the reason the balancing sucks in III.

I think Naughty Dog is probably Sony's most consistent developer since Crash Bandicoot/Jak days. Every game they make may not be a 10/10 hit, but it's very unlikely they'll put out a bad game. Even Insomniac had some lows with some of those Resistance & Ratchet games, Sucker Punch's had some so-so Sly/Infamous games so I'm definitely not hyped/expecting a guaranteed great game out of Tsushima, just like I don't know why anyone would have expected a guaranteed hit from Day's Gone when Studio Bend's track record was an alright Uncharted & Resistance handheld game and Syphon Filter a billion years ago (fwiw, considering they are a B-game studio, I am enjoying the first couple of hours of Day's Gone in that B-game way), but Naughty Dog, yeah I am expecting them to deliver each game.

I wouldn't say I'm hyped about TLoU2, I barely get hyped for any game anymore since I'm mostly playing backlog games 2 years behind. I wasn't hyped for FFVIIr and was pleasantly surprised, but I am interested in TLoU2 enough that it's one of the only games this year I plan on playing at release instead of in 2 years when it's in my backlog. That and the Cold Steel V game this summer are the only games like that for me in 2020.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #34925 on: May 21, 2020, 04:14:07 PM »
Im not that hyped for it since I currently don't have a PS4, but will probably pick one up once the PS5 launches so I can get one on the cheap. Or just get a PS5 depending on the BC situation.

But I do have a lot of faith in ND, considering their past few games were really solid. TLOU itself was one of the better games I ever played story wise at least, the gameplay was also pretty damn great.

Whatever SJW shit is brewing, I don't really care. I didn't really care for the TLOU DLC though, so if it's all about Ellie being in love with someone and then that person dying and her getting revenge, would be a boring story.

But we'll see, I still think the game will be a great game.
What

bluemax

« Reply #34926 on: May 21, 2020, 10:31:06 PM »
I beat DQB2 and now I have a bit of postgame stuff to do... will probably spend the next few days doing the postgame and then moving on. I think after the holiday imma do a chronological pass through my backlog - starting at NES, then moving all the way to the Wii, playing 2-3 backlogged games per system.

I liked DQB2 a lot but I felt there were parts where it really overstayed its welcome. It could have done with some trimming down and less handholding, for sure.

Yeah Moonbrooke chapter goes waaaay too long and kinda doesn't give you as much freedom as the others. Final chapter is fun though! Also playing Animal Crossing makes me miss all the nice things DQB2 has for building and crafting. Like holding down a button and being able to build in a straight line.

I'm probably gonna regret this statement, but having not looked at the TLOU2 spoilers, I'm not really worried about TLOU2 delivering a very good game from start to finish.

Unlike Sony Santa Monica Studios which hadn't made a game since Ascension in 2013 and GoW3 in 2010 which isn't really a great studio track record of game & story-telling design leading up to GoW 2018, Naughty Dog has been a really consistent studio at bringing out games that feel feature complete, tell a full satisfying narrative story and have good gameplay. Uncharted 4, while a little weak for the series (still better than 1/3, so 2nd best; if it had supernatural pirates or something maybe would've been 1st) was still a very good satisfying game with the best stealth/gunplay in the series and a full narrative story. TLoU delivered on gameplay & story as well. Hell, I'd say Naughty Dog hasn't made a single "bad" game yet. Jak II was actually pretty damn good despite the haters and Uncharted III's combat is frustrating bullshit at too many times but it's still a solid game and they even admit it was rushed which probably is the reason the balancing sucks in III.

I think Naughty Dog is probably Sony's most consistent developer since Crash Bandicoot/Jak days. Every game they make may not be a 10/10 hit, but it's very unlikely they'll put out a bad game. Even Insomniac had some lows with some of those Resistance & Ratchet games, Sucker Punch's had some so-so Sly/Infamous games so I'm definitely not hyped/expecting a guaranteed great game out of Tsushima, just like I don't know why anyone would have expected a guaranteed hit from Day's Gone when Studio Bend's track record was an alright Uncharted & Resistance handheld game and Syphon Filter a billion years ago (fwiw, considering they are a B-game studio, I am enjoying the first couple of hours of Day's Gone in that B-game way), but Naughty Dog, yeah I am expecting them to deliver each game.

I wouldn't say I'm hyped about TLoU2, I barely get hyped for any game anymore since I'm mostly playing backlog games 2 years behind. I wasn't hyped for FFVIIr and was pleasantly surprised, but I am interested in TLoU2 enough that it's one of the only games this year I plan on playing at release instead of in 2 years when it's in my backlog. That and the Cold Steel V game this summer are the only games like that for me in 2020.

The Naughty Dog changed drastically as a company post UC2, and probably again post UC4.

TLOU never excited me and I only bought it because of the hype. Never did finish it and can't muster up desire to do so. I think I'd rather play Enslaved: Odyssey to the West again.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 10:35:20 PM by bluemax »
NO

Svejk

« Reply #34927 on: May 21, 2020, 11:23:54 PM »

I get where you're coming from, but if it is true, I think it's not a great direction... But I agree that its nothing confirmed, but I'm not going to pre order it or anything just because it's ND... Hell, I had no interest in the first one when it came out... I only played it because a colleague of mine insisted I play it and lent me his copy.

Bebpo

« Reply #34928 on: May 22, 2020, 12:51:30 AM »
Im not that hyped for it since I currently don't have a PS4, but will probably pick one up once the PS5 launches so I can get one on the cheap. Or just get a PS5 depending on the BC situation.

But I do have a lot of faith in ND, considering their past few games were really solid. TLOU itself was one of the better games I ever played story wise at least, the gameplay was also pretty damn great.

Whatever SJW shit is brewing, I don't really care. I didn't really care for the TLOU DLC though, so if it's all about Ellie being in love with someone and then that person dying and her getting revenge, would be a boring story.

But we'll see, I still think the game will be a great game.

I don't remember TLoU or U4 DLC expansions much. Just that they were both pretty good but short and more of the same but enjoyable. I don't really care what TLoU2 is about as long as they deliver a quality story and with good gameplay. They've built enough benefit of the doubt for me.

The Naughty Dog changed drastically as a company post UC2, and probably again post UC4.[/spoiler]

Staff is always changing, but TLoU and U4 were better than Uncharted 1/3, so the change didn't really feel like an quality dip. U4 DLC was made by up and coming staff and it was good.

TLOU never excited me and I only bought it because of the hype. Never did finish it and can't muster up desire to do so. I think I'd rather play Enslaved: Odyssey to the West again.

Fair enough. I thought it was one of the best games in the last few gens. It takes a while to get going though depending on how far in you got. I've known several people that didn't get to the point where it actually picks up (after you meet the first guy [Bill or something?] and hang in his town a bit and leave his town), I think once it picks up it just continually gets better until it ends.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #34929 on: May 22, 2020, 06:27:57 AM »
Lost Legacy (the U4's DLC) was the peak of the series in my opinion, despite the limited scope, so no fear there.
However i found the Last of Us DLC kind of boring, to be honest; as usual, their stories are not as compelling they seem to think they are, but they can make fun gameplay when they want to.

Svejk

« Reply #34930 on: May 22, 2020, 08:40:06 AM »

Funny you mention that, because I was quite surprised (shocked, even) how much I related to Joel... I have a daughter, so at the time I played it, it definitely struck some deep chords...  Never thought a narrative from a game would get me like it did....  Well, I have a younger son as well, so I thought for sure GOW 2018 would do the same...  Ended up bored from their narrative... Kratos is a shitty father (who's "parenting" I don't agree with one bit.. but it's a game, right?), and his son was a little shit (most likely due to the lack of parenting).  I cared very little for their relationship... But I liked the combat and exploration.. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34931 on: May 22, 2020, 08:49:01 AM »
I've been told to watch this LP for W101 for all the mechanics the game doesn't outright tell you about and it's neat.

Like did y'all know this game has a lock on? It somehow missed me but found out today and it helped a lot with stingers.

:confused

It tells you this in the tutorial segment during the first mission. 
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34932 on: May 22, 2020, 08:50:21 AM »

I get where you're coming from, but if it is true, I think it's not a great direction... But I agree that its nothing confirmed, but I'm not going to pre order it or anything just because it's ND... Hell, I had no interest in the first one when it came out... I only played it because a colleague of mine insisted I play it and lent me his copy.

I like Uncharted, but could not get into The Last Of Us, so while I wasn't planning on getting the sequel anyway, I would have been open to it.  Then I saw the story spoilers and that pretty much confirmed this is not for me.  So no, MMaRsu, I don't think that's a "dumbass opinion" that Svejk has. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:56:02 AM by bork »
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #34933 on: May 22, 2020, 08:57:04 AM »
I've been told to watch this LP for W101 for all the mechanics the game doesn't outright tell you about and it's neat.

Like did y'all know this game has a lock on? It somehow missed me but found out today and it helped a lot with stingers.

I have this on my WiiU but never even loaded it up yet.  :-[

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34934 on: May 22, 2020, 10:10:52 AM »

It does? Egg on my face then.

It's the "Hold: On/Off" indicator that pops up in the beginning- it's not in the video you posted because that's for the original game.  Remastered has changed-up controls.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:18:41 AM by bork »
ど助平

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #34935 on: May 22, 2020, 10:16:00 AM »

Funny you mention that, because I was quite surprised (shocked, even) how much I related to Joel... I have a daughter, so at the time I played it, it definitely struck some deep chords...  Never thought a narrative from a game would get me like it did....  Well, I have a younger son as well, so I thought for sure GOW 2018 would do the same...  Ended up bored from their narrative... Kratos is a shitty father (who's "parenting" I don't agree with one bit.. but it's a game, right?), and his son was a little shit (most likely due to the lack of parenting).  I cared very little for their relationship... But I liked the combat and exploration.. 

lol when i played tlou all i could think about was how joel reminded me of every abusive dad that my friends had growing up
pcp

Svejk

« Reply #34936 on: May 22, 2020, 10:33:16 AM »

lol when i played tlou all i could think about was how joel reminded me of every abusive dad that my friends had growing up
???
You got that from the prologue??  Interesting... To me, it felt like he loved his daughter unconditionally... he was flawed, like all of us are, but he loved her..
Kratos on the other hand... HE gave me more that vibe... he had nothing but regrets of having a child... if he could, he would've shoved Atrius back in the womb and seared that shit closed with the Blades of Athena.  :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #34937 on: May 22, 2020, 01:01:29 PM »
I actually thought the dad/kid dynamic in God of War was the best part of the game and the only part with any relatable humanity outside Ymir's quips.

Like at first I thought Kratos was a shitty dislikable dad and the kid was an annoying brat. But that definitely changes as the story progresses and it's great seeing all the times Kratos is trying to be a good caring dad, but he just sucks at it. Meanwhile you can see the kid being a mess because of how he was raised and trying to be a good kid respecting his dad while also trying to be a kid and rebellious. The dynamic between the two moves around a bunch as the characters grow and outside the one 90 min section of the plot where the kid instantly flips to an asshole and back, the dynamic growth between the two is really well done.

As a game, God of War, not that great.
As a story of an awkward stoic dad pushed out on a journey with a kid he never spent enough time with trying to make up for lost time and mend the relationship, it is great.

Best bit in the game imo was the scene where they both share some wine together and finally have a good dad & son moment. The ending bit about where Atreus's name came from and "Dad, see you can tell a good story" was nice too.

Fwiw, I love TLoU but I never saw it as a dad sim game. Just a game about a duo on a road trip.

Svejk

« Reply #34938 on: May 22, 2020, 02:05:07 PM »
I actually thought the dad/kid dynamic in God of War was the best part of the game and the only part with any relatable humanity outside Ymir's quips.

Like at first I thought Kratos was a shitty dislikable dad and the kid was an annoying brat. But that definitely changes as the story progresses and it's great seeing all the times Kratos is trying to be a good caring dad, but he just sucks at it. Meanwhile you can see the kid being a mess because of how he was raised and trying to be a good kid respecting his dad while also trying to be a kid and rebellious. The dynamic between the two moves around a bunch as the characters grow and outside the one 90 min section of the plot where the kid instantly flips to an asshole and back, the dynamic growth between the two is really well done.

As a game, God of War, not that great.
As a story of an awkward stoic dad pushed out on a journey with a kid he never spent enough time with trying to make up for lost time and mend the relationship, it is great.

Best bit in the game imo was the scene where they both share some wine together and finally have a good dad & son moment. The ending bit about where Atreus's name came from and "Dad, see you can tell a good story" was nice too.

Fwiw, I love TLoU but I never saw it as a dad sim game. Just a game about a duo on a road trip.
Ok, now you're making me want to play GOW again.  :lol  I guess what I looked for; assume I'm gonna get from it (either game), gets skewed when my assumption is wrong... which isn't a bad thing, just... not what I expect, and I personally would've handled differently from a parenting standpoint.. but, it's silly of me to compare my parenting to a fictional vidyah game story.  :doge 

Anyway, it's interesting to see y'alls different perspectives.   My friend/colleague who lent me TLOU back then, he asked me about what I did at the end; getting Ellie from the doctors...  He was like, "I didn't know what to do and sat there trying to think whether I try and choke them out, or if there's a way she'll wake up or....i dunno".   I was just like, "I never pulled out my fully maxed out .45mm so fast in my life and gunned them down before they could say anything.... THEY GOT MY LITTLE GIRL!! THEY ALL DIE AND GO TO HELL!!!:lol 

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #34939 on: May 22, 2020, 06:47:55 PM »
I just beat KH 1.5 Final Mix on proud mode. Here are my feelings after 36 hours put in and getting to level 66:

The world design and usage of Disney properties, how well the respective IP is used, stops mattering after Tarzan world. Aladdin world is corridor rummaging, Halloween Town is corridor rummaging. Neverland pirates ship is....corridor rummaging.

The story and plot is something I had to skip thru for the entire game. Flatter than flat characterization, I have no empathy or sympathy for any of the characters. I skipped every cutscene.

I enjoyed the gameplay. It's a fun game.

Onto Chain of Memories.
OH!

paprikastaude

« Reply #34940 on: May 22, 2020, 08:17:32 PM »
First time playing Super Monkey Ball, which I impulse ordered alongside a bunch of GCN games I never got to, now that I've put the Wii back in my setup. To my surprise, hype justified. :rejoice Nagoshi :lawd Nintendo consoles that still had exclusive libraries worth a damn :rejoice
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:23:21 PM by Spieler1 »

kingv

« Reply #34941 on: May 22, 2020, 09:16:34 PM »

???
You got that from the prologue??  Interesting... To me, it felt like he loved his daughter unconditionally... he was flawed, like all of us are, but he loved her..
Kratos on the other hand... HE gave me more that vibe... he had nothing but regrets of having a child... if he could, he would've shoved Atrius back in the womb and seared that shit closed with the Blades of Athena.  :lol

The beginning of TLOu is the best part imo. I have a daughter and it struck a chord with me too. There are a few other parts with the girl that sort of remind me I’ve my relationship with my daughter now that she’s older. Like he’s a deeply flawed person, but strikes as believable. He’s broken but they don’t oversell it too much. There’s a lot of dumb tropes in the story, and I wasn’t really blown away by the gameplay, but it’s definitely one of the better video game characterizations.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #34942 on: May 23, 2020, 11:05:04 AM »
I just beat KH 1.5 Final Mix on proud mode. Here are my feelings after 36 hours put in and getting to level 66:

The world design and usage of Disney properties, how well the respective IP is used, stops mattering after Tarzan world. Aladdin world is corridor rummaging, Halloween Town is corridor rummaging. Neverland pirates ship is....corridor rummaging.

The story and plot is something I had to skip thru for the entire game. Flatter than flat characterization, I have no empathy or sympathy for any of the characters. I skipped every cutscene.

Onto Chain of Memories.

Yeah I want to do the games in order and so far only beat the first KH. I'm not looking forward to Chain of Memories because I hate cards and I hear it's the weakest game in the series...
^_^

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #34943 on: May 23, 2020, 11:23:02 AM »

Onto Chain of Memories.

Yeah I want to do the games in order and so far only beat the first KH. I'm not looking forward to Chain of Memories because I hate cards and I hear it's the weakest game in the series...

I also am not a fan of card based games or gaming.

I only played the tutorial so far, but it's drastically different than any other Kingdom Hearts, not just the battle system either. I think you have to get cards to load into new areas of the world? It's very strange.
OH!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34944 on: May 23, 2020, 02:03:17 PM »
Yup, you sure do

Honestly you could skip Chain of Memories if you really wanted to. Jump into the deeeeelicious KH2.5 and experience real gaming
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #34945 on: May 23, 2020, 02:16:03 PM »
if you care about the plot (lol) then kh2 is confusing as shit if you don't play all of com and watch 352 first. if you're only in it for the gameplay then all you need to do is play 1 and 2.

com seems confusing at first but there are several op moves that will carry you through 99% of the battles in the game. the only real challenge are some of the bosses.
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34946 on: May 23, 2020, 04:32:08 PM »
Eh, I don't think he would miss much in terms of plot - it just sets up and introduces a bunch of characters, but I don't think there's anything major.

Just read Wikipedia, you'll be caught up.
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #34947 on: May 23, 2020, 06:00:36 PM »
Monkey Ball medium campaign, so far so good.  :whew

Expert campaign  :crazy :notlikethis

Could potentially still be easier than a F-Zero GX complete run though? :larry

Bebpo

« Reply #34948 on: May 23, 2020, 07:33:36 PM »
Finished Jamestown+ and unlocked all the new ships and tried them along with beating the new stages and old stages. New content is great, there's only 3 really new ships and one of them seems kinda sucky, but the other two are really good. Both new stages are quality. The original campaign is still really good and accessible, I like how even on the higher difficulty levels I'll lose lives in the levels but usually get through bosses without losing a life because the patterns are all very fair.

Jamestown and now Jamestown+ are probably the best entry level bullet hell shmups on the market. Team definitely made a classic with the game, wonder if they'll ever make another game since the last 8 years were just porting this and adding some new content.

Rman

« Reply #34949 on: May 23, 2020, 07:56:21 PM »
Playing Nier Automata thanks to Game Pass.  I thought this was gonna be a DMC clone. Boy, was I wrong lmao.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34950 on: May 23, 2020, 08:39:37 PM »
Playing Nier Automata thanks to Game Pass.  I thought this was gonna be a DMC clone. Boy, was I wrong lmao.
Go deep in the lore. You won't even know who you are.

Also it has like a dozen different endings, some involve just dying at the right time.

That theme when you're exploring the city? you will hear that in your sleep.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #34951 on: May 24, 2020, 01:30:26 AM »

Holy shit I finished The Hex and goddamn that was SO GOOD. This game flew under the radar in 2018. I'd never heard of it until I got it in a humble bundle and was trying out all the games in the bundle for a few mins and right away it was pretty good and clever and I was like who made this, because this is quality. Then I saw it was Daniel Mullins who did Pony Island which was also very good & clever. But the Hex is just on a whole different level. This is the game that Suda51 was trying to make in his hayday but could never nail the gameplay. The gameplay in this is great and tons of variety. Mullins gets all these different genre and could totally release his own regular games in them.

The story was clever, the writing was great and lots of originality. Even had a satisfying ending.

I feel pretty confident in a world where stuff like Gone Home was winning awards, that if The Hex had more exposure it would've been nominated/won a whole lot of game awards in 2018 on the indie-side.

I think the game is like $5-10 or something and is about 5 hours long. It's PC only, but if you play stuff on PC it's a high recommend. This is up there with FFVIIr and Half-Life Alyx as GoTY from what I've played this year.

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

*edit* Just watched the secret ending. Even better. Game is A++ Also one of the characters is called Sado51 so Mullin's knows exactly whose style he's a fan of with these games.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 01:56:34 AM by Bebpo »

BisMarckie

« Reply #34952 on: May 24, 2020, 08:45:45 AM »
Finished Castlevania 3 for the first time without cheesing the Grim Reaper and the clone fight with Syfa.

The Dracula fight is not so bad, Grim Reaper‘s level is at least short, but holy shit the 9th level just made me want to kill myselft.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #34953 on: May 24, 2020, 09:50:21 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Holy shit I finished The Hex and goddamn that was SO GOOD. This game flew under the radar in 2018. I'd never heard of it until I got it in a humble bundle and was trying out all the games in the bundle for a few mins and right away it was pretty good and clever and I was like who made this, because this is quality. Then I saw it was Daniel Mullins who did Pony Island which was also very good & clever. But the Hex is just on a whole different level. This is the game that Suda51 was trying to make in his hayday but could never nail the gameplay. The gameplay in this is great and tons of variety. Mullins gets all these different genre and could totally release his own regular games in them.

The story was clever, the writing was great and lots of originality. Even had a satisfying ending.

I feel pretty confident in a world where stuff like Gone Home was winning awards, that if The Hex had more exposure it would've been nominated/won a whole lot of game awards in 2018 on the indie-side.

I think the game is like $5-10 or something and is about 5 hours long. It's PC only, but if you play stuff on PC it's a high recommend. This is up there with FFVIIr and Half-Life Alyx as GoTY from what I've played this year.

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

*edit* Just watched the secret ending. Even better. Game is A++ Also one of the characters is called Sado51 so Mullin's knows exactly whose style he's a fan of with these games.

Been meaning to play this forever (having owned it since release...), and I think this post might just push me to finally do it. Pony Island was great.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #34954 on: May 24, 2020, 10:22:14 AM »
ok I just played through the first part with the platformer. I am already sold. I cant help but feel some silent hill collection shade being thrown in that remake haha

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #34955 on: May 24, 2020, 11:10:08 AM »
Finished Castlevania 3 for the first time without cheesing the Grim Reaper and the clone fight with Syfa.

The Dracula fight is not so bad, Grim Reaper‘s level is at least short, but holy shit the 9th level just made me want to kill myselft.

Very nice, I was able to beat Dracula as a kid by using a password for the final stage, I was never really able to make it through Dracula's castle. I'm soon gonna give the Famicom version a shake too since that version is a bit better balanced than the NES version.
^_^

Rman

« Reply #34956 on: May 24, 2020, 11:26:00 AM »

Very nice, I was able to beat Dracula as a kid by using a password for the final stage, I was never really able to make it through Dracula's castle. I'm soon gonna give the Famicom version a shake too since that version is a bit better balanced than the NES version.

Tiesto, are you still into retro gaming?

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #34957 on: May 24, 2020, 12:20:23 PM »
Finished Trials of Mana in 34 hours. 4 of those were in the post-game content. The challenges for the fourth class were cool but the rest is just a recycled dungeon(s) filled with trash mobs that you slice through until the big bad. Nothing really notable.

Overall the game really fun, and I had a good time with it. They should’ve just axed the shitty post-game and integrated the unique parts but it’s no big deal either way.

Just finished the game at 40 hours. Maxed out my stats and cleared post game content. The black rabite was like a hot knife through butter. The end level just seemed designed to grind.

I remember having fun with SD3 on an emulator years ago. I recommend this game.
🍆🍆

paprikastaude

« Reply #34958 on: May 24, 2020, 12:21:24 PM »

Or not. Seems like they've randomly put one of the hardest levels in the beginning of the last campaign and after an hour of practice, I can say that I'm physically unable to do it  :doge Dumb. Gonna unlock everything else I still can though.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #34959 on: May 24, 2020, 01:32:36 PM »

Or not. Seems like they've randomly put one of the hardest levels in the beginning of the last campaign and after an hour of practice, I can say that I'm physically unable to do it  :doge Dumb. Gonna unlock everything else I still can though.
An hour?

I remember spending way more time on those F-Zero GX story missions. There was one with the timer that was pretty much impossible.
Beaten it once and I don't even know how.  :doge
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #34960 on: May 24, 2020, 04:39:53 PM »
Tried out The Surge and got past the first boss and a ways into the second area. Didn't really like it. Feels a lot more cheap than Dark Souls with a lot of one-shot ganking. Also keep running into areas where I can only move forward and not backtrack to the last bonfire which combined with the dumb timer on retrieving souls means I keep losing my souls in this game whereas in Dark Souls/Bloodborne I usually go through the whole game without every losing my souls or maybe like one time. Same with Hollow Knight. I don't mind the souls mechanic, but you gotta be able to get back to your souls and leave if you need to.

Combat also seems way more annoying and stamina-dependent. Always out of stamina. If I can finish a small grunt in one combo without having to rest and replenish stamina in the middle, bleh. And the first boss was pretty terrible with the camera and hit detection.

Don't think I'll bother with this any further or try the 2nd one.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #34961 on: May 24, 2020, 07:00:20 PM »
Fired up my 360 again over the weekend. Played a bunch of Disney’s Fantasia (Kinect) and realized I’m never going to be the guy who nails every cue and gets 100% gold stars on this. Still fun. Trying to figure out if I missed something, because I unlocked everything in the main mode, but a couple songs are only available outside the Yen Sid sanctuary for, like, stand-alone play.

Started up Witcher 2 and remembered why I didn’t get past the tutorial last time: CDPR jank in the tutorial, where it tells me to cast Quen but the text describes how to equip it, not even mentioning that it’s not how the spell is cast. This isn’t fun to figure out while being blasted by fireballs. There are several problems like that during the tutorial. When I have to hit up GameFAQS during the tutorial, we aren’t off to a great start. The arena’s battle learning curve is steep as well. Then, as I’m leaving the arena, I get a system error: disk unreadable. I’m playing a downloaded version of the game off a high speed memory stick. WTF? Janky.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #34962 on: May 24, 2020, 09:07:25 PM »

Of course! I've just completed rewiring all my retro systems through an OSSC with RGB SCART cables, there are a few more modern games that I've been wanting to play lately but I've got a bit of a plan to play a bunch of backlogged games in chronological order (i.e. 2-3 games on NES, then move to SMS and Turbo... all the way up to Wii).
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #34963 on: May 24, 2020, 09:10:35 PM »
Started up Witcher 2 and remembered why I didn’t get past the tutorial last time: CDPR jank in the tutorial, where it tells me to cast Quen but the text describes how to equip it, not even mentioning that it’s not how the spell is cast. This isn’t fun to figure out while being blasted by fireballs. There are several problems like that during the tutorial. When I have to hit up GameFAQS during the tutorial, we aren’t off to a great start. The arena’s battle learning curve is steep as well. Then, as I’m leaving the arena, I get a system error: disk unreadable. I’m playing a downloaded version of the game off a high speed memory stick. WTF? Janky.

:'(

Rman

« Reply #34964 on: May 24, 2020, 09:34:34 PM »

Of course! I've just completed rewiring all my retro systems through an OSSC with RGB SCART cables, there are a few more modern games that I've been wanting to play lately but I've got a bit of a plan to play a bunch of backlogged games in chronological order (i.e. 2-3 games on NES, then move to SMS and Turbo... all the way up to Wii).

Cool. I was planning to go LI Retro before the coronavirus just killed all summer conventions. If you want to check it out next year, hit me up.

Bebpo

« Reply #34965 on: May 25, 2020, 12:40:31 AM »
Started Devil May Cry V. Pretty fun, played up to mission 8. Not sure how I feel about the disposable arm system for Nero. I like the variety of builds/moves it gives you, but the good moves breaking the arms after one use make me barely ever use them. Also wish you could charge exceed during more stuff, I basically never rev it for ex2/3 moves outside first hit or between boss phases for first hit. Also I feel like the weapons are a little less distinctive as arms since they only have like 3 moves (standing, air, super) compared to a full on new boss weapon.

V's not bad, but not finding his combat as fun as traditional sword & dodge Nero/Dante. Also seems a bit like easy mode with him since you just hang back and dodge stuff and then hit buttons. It's also kinda weird how after so many people complained in DMC4 that you didn't get to play as Dante until halfway through the game...they block him off again though now that I'm at the root tower thing in mission 8 hopefully will get him next.

Bebpo

« Reply #34966 on: May 25, 2020, 01:26:00 AM »
Played Missed Messages on steam. Saw it had overwhelmingly positive reviews and was free VN.

Beat it twice in...11 mins lol. I mean the art is nice and the story concept is good, but that's short to the point it's hard to think much about it. I guess a short film would be the closest? A 5 min kind of short film? Oh well, the art is really, really nice. Might try the developer's next game which seems about triple the length so probably 30 mins which may be more satisfying.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34967 on: May 25, 2020, 01:55:17 AM »
Enjoying Yakuza Kiwami way more than Zero

Much more focused
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #34968 on: May 25, 2020, 02:28:00 AM »
Enjoying Yakuza Kiwami way more than Zero

Much more focused

I haven't played zero, but that makes sense. The original was pretty linear and each game started adding more and more side stuff and plot meandering to make bigger and longer games.

I thought the first Yakuza had a really great story back when it debuted on ps2,
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ryu-ga-gotoku-is-the-game-of-the-generation.75692/

Also I feel cool that I called the start of long running huge selling series from the day 1  8)

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #34969 on: May 25, 2020, 10:19:37 AM »

Cool. I was planning to go LI Retro before the coronavirus just killed all summer conventions. If you want to check it out next year, hit me up.

Absolutely - I go to LI Retro every year, occasionally helping out with the Museum part (my close friend runs the Museum).
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #34970 on: May 25, 2020, 03:09:13 PM »
Started Devil May Cry V. Pretty fun, played up to mission 8. Not sure how I feel about the disposable arm system for Nero. I like the variety of builds/moves it gives you, but the good moves breaking the arms after one use make me barely ever use them. Also wish you could charge exceed during more stuff, I basically never rev it for ex2/3 moves outside first hit or between boss phases for first hit. Also I feel like the weapons are a little less distinctive as arms since they only have like 3 moves (standing, air, super) compared to a full on new boss weapon.

V's not bad, but not finding his combat as fun as traditional sword & dodge Nero/Dante. Also seems a bit like easy mode with him since you just hang back and dodge stuff and then hit buttons. It's also kinda weird how after so many people complained in DMC4 that you didn't get to play as Dante until halfway through the game...they block him off again though now that I'm at the root tower thing in mission 8 hopefully will get him next.

With nero learn to ex/max act, the window is much more forgiving than it was in DMC4. As for the arms think of them as a way to help vary up your combos for high ranks and use the supers as combo enders. Once you're more comfortable with them you can ball out per usual.

V is a bit divisive. I think he's fun just too simple and could use some iteration but he has the least amount of missions. Definitely not as good as Nero and Dante but has some fun stuff you can figure out.

You're about two missions away from Dante.

Thanks, yeah been using the arms for combo extenders like the flying punch that keeps them juggled. I forgot about ex/max act from DMC4, that's good to hear.

When you beat the game can you replay the past stages with any of the 3 characters? Would be fun to fight some of the V bosses with a sword.

Bebpo

« Reply #34971 on: May 25, 2020, 03:29:08 PM »
Well at least they're in Bloody Palace.

Rman

« Reply #34972 on: May 25, 2020, 03:34:13 PM »
Well at least they're in Bloody Palace.
These games just need a basic boss rush too.  I hate the extra trash mobs in Bloody Palace.

Bebpo

« Reply #34973 on: May 25, 2020, 03:53:55 PM »
I thought some of the past ones had a boss rush mode? Maybe DMC3?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #34974 on: May 25, 2020, 04:56:37 PM »
dmc3 had a boss rush at the end of the game
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #34975 on: May 25, 2020, 05:07:55 PM »

DMC4 too with that board game with repeat bosses.

BisMarckie

« Reply #34976 on: May 25, 2020, 05:19:48 PM »
Played Castlevania IV for the first time in years. Still holding on to my opinion that it’s by far the weakest Classicvania.
You can beat almost every boss by just spamming the whip. it‘s too easy in general with a cheap difficulty spike near the end. I am not digging the music and I think it looks bad aesthetically.

edit: They fucking blew it when you enter the castle and Vampire Killer isn‘t playing :rage

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #34977 on: May 25, 2020, 05:26:00 PM »

DMC4 too with that board game with repeat bosses.

argh i blocked that part out. fighting the bosses three times what the fuck were they thinking
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #34978 on: May 25, 2020, 05:27:08 PM »
I am not digging the music and I think it looks bad aesthetically.

everyone is entitled to their own opinions but this is sickening and you should be ashamed
pcp

BisMarckie

« Reply #34979 on: May 25, 2020, 05:29:55 PM »
Castlevania I and III had way better tunes :hmph

Rondo is untouchable in that category though(and it looks way better) :lawd