Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3558938 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #35760 on: October 05, 2020, 03:49:25 AM »
Picked up Star Wars Squadrons.

Is there a way to play with friends? I haven’t found it.

The Fleet Battles Tutorial was buggy, didn’t acknowledge power core destroyed. So I couldn’t finish. Will try again later.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #35761 on: October 05, 2020, 06:34:38 AM »
dang, i hope so. i haven't gotten to that point yet, just making my way through the campaign.

Press Tab / Select / Touchpad to open the Social Menu; this will bring up a list of your first-party friends, as well your EA cross-play friends. Scroll to the friends you'd like to invite, select them and choose "Invite". They'll receive an invitation, and once they accept you'll see them added to your party.
◕‿◕

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35762 on: October 05, 2020, 05:51:13 PM »
Just started Hellblade and Nier: Automata. Hellblade has really, really good production values but the combat is super simple. I'm like in Chapter 3 now, after you defeat that shadow illusion dude boss and it looks like they're still teaching the combat basics so maybe it'll get more complicated later on.
Combat in Hellblade remains pretty simplistic but the story, world building and depression episode simulations are really good.

Nier is super fun in that pretentiously janky way but it's also really triggering me. I died in the prologue at the boss fight because I didn't realize the dodge mechanic is based on timing, not hitbox. Apparently this makes you lose 34 minutes of progress and resets you to the very beginning of the prologue. That wasn't a big deal though and I got passed it and now I learned how the save system will work in the rest of the game.
I think that's intentional so you realize how the game works. On the other hand you just unlocked one of the 15 endings  8)

The bigger problem with Nier is how they keep trying to show you panty shots. I tried googling how to avoid this and I tried adjusting camera distance which helps. But my googling also showed me that there's an achievement for looking up her skirt 10 times and apparently you can outright remove the skirt and have her run around in a cyber-thong? That's why I don't play Japanese games.
:exxy

2B is one of the better new characters of this gen both visually as well as from a plot / character development perspective, her enemies are mostly tin cans though so if you can handle 2B you can handle the rest.
Do beware, shit gets weird in that game. Yoko Taro is a genius.
🤴

Coax

« Reply #35763 on: October 06, 2020, 12:12:09 AM »
The bigger problem with Nier is how they keep trying to show you panty shots. I tried googling how to avoid this and I tried adjusting camera distance which helps. But my googling also showed me that there's an achievement for looking up her skirt 10 times and apparently you can outright remove the skirt and have her run around in a cyber-thong? That's why I don't play Japanese games.

:lol Btw you can just obtain that achievement by (minor spoiler but you prob won't care) buying it later :shh I never bothered even looking up achievements and the skirt is only like that if you self-destruct.

Edit: added inline 'spoiler' using color value :doggy
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 12:40:06 AM by Coax »

Cryo

« Reply #35764 on: October 06, 2020, 10:40:23 AM »
Finally started streets of rage 4. Almost done with my first playthrough but I’m really glad it plays so well. If I had to complain about anything, it’s that the design of the Y twins is pretty uninspired/not really true to Mr.X, and makes the switch home screen icon look like some generic anime shit.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #35765 on: October 06, 2020, 11:08:59 AM »
Been playing the mafia remake, it’s pretty good, never played the original properly. I’d call it an enjoyable romp so far.

It looks really fucking good and even has some form of the ray tracing on console, but then sometimes in the ‘wrong’ lighting the faces can a bit :kobeyuck
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #35766 on: October 07, 2020, 02:38:45 AM »
Started playing Disgaea 5 since I needed a new turn-based game to play while working out. I used to play every N1 srpg when they came out but thought Dis4 was boring as fuck with long zzz cutscenes and never played 5.

Seems alright so far, better than what I remember from 4. More interesting characters and cutscenes seem shorter. Nice music too.

The gameplay changes seem kind of hmm early on. Quests just seem like added grind though I guess they help you figure out what requirements you need to unlock subclasses. Revenge mode seems like a big change up mechanic, though will see how that plays out. The super abilities some of the characters have during revenge mode seem kinda interesting, but only 2 characters have them so far.

I guess how this goes will depend on whether I play Dis6 when it comes out next year or whether I don't touch it until 4 years later on a whim.

Also looking through N1's srpg releases, I think the only one I never played besides Dis5 was Disgaea D2. Something about a direct sequel just didn't interest me, though I probably should look it up and see if it was any good.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #35767 on: October 07, 2020, 04:18:13 AM »
13 Sentinels has like a twist every 30 mins. This story is crazy.

Cryo

« Reply #35768 on: October 07, 2020, 02:31:17 PM »
 Re: streets of rage 4

https://twitter.com/greenalink/status/1309863919360577538

:steiner

:steiner                           :steiner

Bebpo

« Reply #35769 on: October 07, 2020, 02:33:24 PM »
lol

Bebpo

« Reply #35770 on: October 07, 2020, 02:33:45 PM »
13 Sentinels has like a twist every 30 mins. This story is crazy.

Yep, Vanillaware knows how to write exciting thrillers.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35771 on: October 07, 2020, 02:52:45 PM »
Genshin Impact is fun, but I don't see myself playing this long term. The grind does not look satisfying at all. It's all too straightforward and shallow. No builds, no real loot, no nothing. Just make these numbers go up by farming this and that material. Meh.

Will finish the first Arc in Mondstadt, then drop it.

I was interested due to all the hype, but then I was reading up a bit about the censorship in the game and that left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth (also gatcha mechanics). The funny thing is a lot of the fanbase doesn't seem to care about this... but ironically those are the same people who blow a gasket if anime tiddies are even slightly covered up (both types of censorship are bad, but human rights coverups are obviously farrrrr more worse than anime tiddies being covered up)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-07-genshin-impact-censors-taiwan-and-hong-kong
^_^

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #35772 on: October 07, 2020, 03:01:53 PM »
To be expected. It is made by a Chinese company after all.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35773 on: October 07, 2020, 03:12:33 PM »
Genshin Impact is fun, but I don't see myself playing this long term. The grind does not look satisfying at all. It's all too straightforward and shallow. No builds, no real loot, no nothing. Just make these numbers go up by farming this and that material. Meh.

Will finish the first Arc in Mondstadt, then drop it.

I was interested due to all the hype, but then I was reading up a bit about the censorship in the game and that left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth (also gatcha mechanics). The funny thing is a lot of the fanbase doesn't seem to care about this... but ironically those are the same people who blow a gasket if anime tiddies are even slightly covered up (both types of censorship are bad, but human rights coverups are obviously farrrrr more worse than anime tiddies being covered up)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-07-genshin-impact-censors-taiwan-and-hong-kong
Fuck all that shit man

You cant blame Chinese developers for adhering to Chinese law imo..

But Fuck Blizzard and any other western company bowing their ass for China
What

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35774 on: October 07, 2020, 05:29:46 PM »
you can't blame them... but you don't have to support them
pcp

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35775 on: October 07, 2020, 05:35:34 PM »
ofcourse everyone has their own right to choose
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35776 on: October 07, 2020, 06:37:04 PM »

That's why I'm playing it for free. :trumps
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35777 on: October 07, 2020, 06:53:10 PM »
If I can't play as Winnie the Pooh or Donkey Kong the Chinese schmucks are not getting my Euro bucks  :trumps
🤴

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #35778 on: October 08, 2020, 01:40:03 AM »
Chicoms!  :kinison
Margs

Bebpo

« Reply #35779 on: October 10, 2020, 09:15:20 PM »
Started playing LittleBigPlanet 3 by Sumo Digital and uh....this is really good?  :doge

Like it's the lowest rated of the 4 mainline games, and I'm only playing the campaign and just finished the first real hub world that's Hollywood themed and the levels are really great. Tons of variety, super charming the Oddsock character with wall jump and momentum plays great and his pinball escape level felt straight out of a Sonic game. The different equip items add a lot of variety as well.

Aesthetically reminds me a lot of Puppeteer, it's really charming. Will be surprised if their PS5 launch game Sackboy is better than this. The only thing LBP3 could use is 60fps since it's 30fps.

But yeah, Sumo Digital is good at making platformers? I mean I know they make good racers and ooookay Hitman stages, but I think this is the first platformer I've played of theirs and so far I'd put it above Media Molecule's campaigns in the first two games.

Nice music too:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 02:49:13 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #35780 on: October 11, 2020, 07:48:38 PM »
Other random stuff trying out/playing/started lately now that done with 90+ hours of Trails rpg gaming and have time to play other stuff.

Superflight - Procedurally generated wingdiving game that is like $2. It plays pretty well and is fun trying to get high scores but on your way down you have to find and hit portals to warp to a new level or you die and lose your combat. Since the portals are randomly generated sometimes by the time you're midway down in height in the level you can't find any and then you lose your run which sucks. Worth the $2 but needs a few changes to be a better game.

Discworld Noir - Almost done with Act III of IV. Game is one of the longest ADV games I've played in forever. Enjoying it but it's so long and 1/2 the gameplay systems aren't introduced until midway. Weird little old-school game, but solid and worth playing so far, but not one of the ADV greats or anything.

Disgaea 5 - A bit further in now, enjoying this a lot! I don't know if I was just burned out from playing the same style N1 power grind srpg every year for a decade but this feels really throwback and fun now and the grind addiction is real. Looks nice enough too/good music.

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir - I never got far in this on PS2 even though it looked gorgeous because the gameplay just didn't feel that fun. Had this sitting in my backlog forever and finally put it in today. Damn, game looks even more gorgeous in widescreen HD format. Also seems to play a lot better now in the moment to moment combat. Played like an hour and on one hand I'm really digging it, but on the other hand the combat just seems so shallow I don't know if it'll keep my interest. I played every Vanillaware game, but never finished one until 13 Sentinels because the repetition. 13 Sentinels being so good does make me want to actual finish Odin Sphere/Muramasa/Dragon's Crown at some point now (but never Grime Grimoire because I hate RTS).

Also I'm kind of tempted to wait on playing the rest of LBP3 for PS5 BC. The load times in LBP3 are so bad. Like the worst loading I've experienced in the last few years of gaming is Devil May Cry 5 on PS4, but LBP3 is pretty bad too because there is a hub level that has to load everytime you can back and forth between the hub and levels/mini-levels. I'm assuming on PS5 BC that basically every PS4 game will get better load times even unoptimized for PS5, but maybe that's optimistic.

Bebpo

« Reply #35781 on: October 11, 2020, 09:26:58 PM »
More stuff

State of Mind - This is leaving Game Pass in a few days so I checked it out and played a bit. Okish 3d adventure game on budget. Basically feels like ultra budget Detroit and having just played Detroit a few months ago this wasn't grabbing me. Generally not a big fan of the ADV games from Daedalic.

Quantum Break - Started this and played an hour or so into the first FMV ep. Pretty cool. Combat isn't as bad/downgrade as I expected coming from Control. Less dashing, but dashing is more powerful. Story concept is kinda neat, but not sure if I have the patience to sit through long FMV eps.

Bebpo

« Reply #35782 on: October 12, 2020, 02:48:06 AM »
Finally finished up Discworld Noir. I think if I hadn't spent so much time on the first 2/3rds I'd have bailed in the last 1/3rd. It gets so boring in the last 5 hours or so. Especially once you unlock the library and progression is like: learn something -> go look it up at the library over and over.

If it was shorter and tighter paced and less looking up index cards it'd be a good adventure game, but it's kind of long, boring and a bit tedious. From the night watch novel I read it sorta feels like Discworld, and sorta doesn't.

The scenes with Death are the highlight as is the main character's VA. The writer nailed Death's dialogues and the VA was great. A few of the exchanges are pretty funny. You can just watch those and skip the game and save time.

@ 6:06

Boredfrom

« Reply #35783 on: October 12, 2020, 02:54:49 AM »
I will say, Genshin Impact gacha doesn’t seem that awful given that I already have three 5 star characters.  :doge

Feels like stuff like Fate/Go already conditioned me to awful gacha rates or most people complaining about it don’t usually play gachas.

Thirty-Ought-Six

« Reply #35784 on: October 12, 2020, 07:15:15 AM »
Dragon's Crown. I played this a while ago but didn't get that far in because it seemed too repetitive. This time I'm loving it.

Sorceress is incredibly fun playing solo. She has a huge variety of genuinely distinct moves/builds, all of which are useful. If possible you would like to take 3 wands (ice, fire, lightning each have different abilities), 4 armor types, 6 spells, and a few items into every dungeon. But you are limited (7 things total to start, 10 max) so there are tough choices. Since she has terrible physical defense, you have to learn to dodge, which she is great at with teleportation and witch flight.

My current build tries to start each enemy encounter by cursing some of them to turn into frogs, leaving them defenseless against my team of summoned skeletons. I haven't tried petrification yet, which might be even better for this since it could potentially petrify the whole screen, but frogging lasts longer for tough enemies.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35785 on: October 13, 2020, 11:50:28 PM »
Just made it to disk 4 in Legend of Dragoon - the game definitely has some flaws and combat is pretty slow (though not as bad as the PS1 version of FF9), but I'm enjoying it all the same. Love the surreal prerendered environments and there's some really good music in it. Story starts off kinda cliche but has some interesting elements about it, especially the second half of chapter 3 when the big revelations hit. Don't think the game deserves nearly the amount of hate that it gets.
^_^

Coax

« Reply #35786 on: October 14, 2020, 01:05:26 AM »
Have a system that can now play Death Stranding so currently about mid-way through it seems. It's amusing how Kojima took the derided fetch quest in games and made that the entire conceit, with the focus on the minutia of the traveling and delivery aspects but with enough AAA polish and touches of charm and game-y-ness that mask the mundanity of the core gameplay loop.

They attempt to spice things up with the threat of enemies though I didn't find it as enjoyable, primarily since the controls (on a gamepad at least, god knows how KB/M players make up for the lack of analog controls for a game like this) map the same button for gripping the backpack to the weapon aim/trigger and for whatever reason if I move---or just seemingly randomly--it will stop aiming and unequip the item, requiring re-equipping it mid-fight. Died once in a boss fight for this reason despite doing perfectly well otherwise. Holy hell it's annoying.

Probably the single touch that for me has elevated some of the slogs are Reedus' character muttering to himself periodically and exclamations about loosing balance ('that laugh you do when you almost die') but I've actually enjoyed most of my time with the game. Also I don't think they could have pulled this off as successfully without the era of physically based rendering (PBR) as the visuals help sell the experience.

Ironicaly despite the typical Kojima eccentric flavorings the only legitimate wtf moment was the fact the girl from the Junk Dealer's quest was his girlfriend when she was presented as way younger in appearance and behavior.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 01:15:23 AM by Coax »

Cryo

« Reply #35787 on: October 15, 2020, 04:25:05 PM »
5 months later, what do y’all think of the streets of rage 4 soundtrack? It’s weird in that it’s what I wanted for the game (contemporary electronic for a new generation of fans, with enough 90’s elements/melodies) but the execution is not quite there. Oliver’s tracks are slowly growing on me - would say my two favorites are the break room in the police station and the first Chinatown segment) but I LOVED all the songs by guest composers. Really cool to see Yoko Shinamura on the list since I generally associated her with the competition!

Really hope there’s more tracks by guest composers on this supposed DLC.

Bebpo

« Reply #35788 on: October 15, 2020, 10:55:42 PM »
Kingdom Hearts Melody of Murde...err Memories demo is pretty meh. It's ok, but considering it's the Theaterhythm team and those games were great music games this feels a big step down. Instead of visible notes like you know every normal music game the notes are the enemies and it's just...dumb. Why couldn't they just make Theaterhythm KH.

paprikastaude

« Reply #35789 on: October 16, 2020, 10:42:02 AM »
Started a replay of DMC3 straight with Vergil and didn't get it at all  :doge Thankfully he has two of Dante's weapons, his own weapons suck.

Svejk

« Reply #35790 on: October 16, 2020, 11:20:51 AM »
5 months later, what do y’all think of the streets of rage 4 soundtrack? It’s weird in that it’s what I wanted for the game (contemporary electronic for a new generation of fans, with enough 90’s elements/melodies) but the execution is not quite there. Oliver’s tracks are slowly growing on me - would say my two favorites are the break room in the police station and the first Chinatown segment) but I LOVED all the songs by guest composers. Really cool to see Yoko Shinamura on the list since I generally associated her with the competition!

It definitely grew on me... All thanks to the retro music toggle being total half-assed ass.  Guess that was intentional to not let Yuzo steal all the thunder again.  If only they'd allow a customizable playlist with all tracks from SOR1-4.  :lawd

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35791 on: October 16, 2020, 03:09:38 PM »
Just made it to disk 4 in Legend of Dragoon - the game definitely has some flaws and combat is pretty slow (though not as bad as the PS1 version of FF9), but I'm enjoying it all the same. Love the surreal prerendered environments and there's some really good music in it. Story starts off kinda cliche but has some interesting elements about it, especially the second half of chapter 3 when the big revelations hit. Don't think the game deserves nearly the amount of hate that it gets.

Were you amazed at Rose's pussy opening the gates of hell?

« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 03:15:17 PM by demi »
fat

Cryo

« Reply #35792 on: October 16, 2020, 05:16:08 PM »

It definitely grew on me... All thanks to the retro music toggle being total half-assed ass.  Guess that was intentional to not let Yuzo steal all the thunder again.  If only they'd allow a customizable playlist with all tracks from SOR1-4.  :lawd
agreed this was pretty disappointing. I don't really feel like 50% of the tracks they picked fit the stages well.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35793 on: October 16, 2020, 05:34:32 PM »
Yeah what happened to yuzo koshiro's music
What

Cryo

« Reply #35794 on: October 16, 2020, 07:56:42 PM »
Yeah what happened to yuzo koshiro's music
fwiw he could record himself pooping for the main theme and it would’ve fine so long as it had the classic SoR title track’s bass line

paprikastaude

« Reply #35795 on: October 16, 2020, 08:07:37 PM »
Some tracks like Chinatown and the first half of Y-Tower were just plain bad, but the rest was fine to great, not to mention some of the transitions.

Bebpo

« Reply #35796 on: October 17, 2020, 05:38:23 AM »
Disgaea 5 has so many systems,

Like this was cool when a new N1 srpg came out every year adding 1 new sub-system and if you played them every year you were on top of it. But if you take some time off and forget how these things work and what the efficient use of some stuff is...it's a lot  :lol

Enjoying it a lot, but spending a decent amount of time googling sub-systems and what their point is.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #35797 on: October 17, 2020, 02:46:18 PM »
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story is quite good! A fun and breezy experience that puts the Mario Bros inside of Bowser for hijinks. The staple Mario RPG combat is the highlight here, every enemy having a good number of attacks which include fake outs and timing variations so it doesn't lose your interest. Bowser also adds a lot to the game, controlling satisfyingly different from the Bros with all his fire and heft.

The game's writing is amusing and never gets bogged down in detail, though that comes with it the problem of the the story basically having no stakes. Combined with the entire game basically taking place in Mario's backyard, it gives the feel of an episode of a sitcom more than an RPG adventure, which is something I can't say about Thousand Year Door or Mario and Luigi 1. Still though, there's something to say for being total junk food, and at 20-25 hours my biggest problem was I was left wanting more, which is never a bad thing.

paprikastaude

« Reply #35798 on: October 17, 2020, 04:29:19 PM »
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1316433710053388288

Oh, it's just the first level of SoR2 in a loop with one music track :goty

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35799 on: October 17, 2020, 06:34:23 PM »
My friend and I played through Bubble Bobble NES and got the Happy End last nite. Still playing Legend of Dragoon, just beat the Law City area. I love how surreal some of these late-game areas are, the game really has that awesome sense of adventure lacking in a lot of modern RPGs.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #35800 on: October 17, 2020, 07:25:42 PM »
Ok, back in the groove with Disgaea 5. Found as few methods to break stuff already and powered up my MC. In every N1 SRPG I always end up just making the lead MC like 100x more powerful than everyone else in my team because it's just easier to power level/items for 1 character and have them steamroll the maps.

Squads in this are slightly interesting, the capture/interrogation stuff is great once broken and I'm capturing and interrogating like 100 enemies at a time and turning them into a 100 enemy stat upgrade potion. The XP share could be good for getting other people caught up closer to the MC. Doesn't seem like enough XP to help beyond low level characters.

Stuff like being able to put your squad in charge of the dark assembly and have them always for 100% YES for you so you can pass anything is cool, but maxing out that squad is gonna be a big grind so will save that for if I need it.

On ch.4 of 15 and feel like I've got a good team/strategy set to take me through the rest of the story maps. I usually don't bother with the post-game in N1 srpgs because it's fun, but it's like here's a map and then grind and then here's another map and then grind as the level jumps get crazy fast. Just never seemed worth the time, though there's always fun story bits & characters if you put the time in. I'm fine with the 30-40 hour main stories that tend to wrap up just fine with their final boss.

Also I kinda wish I had double dipped and picked this up on Switch with the complete version with all the DLC characters. I don't have any of them and some of them sound pretty broken good. I don't care about the nostalgia of using old characters so not planning on picking up the DLC.

Bebpo

« Reply #35801 on: October 17, 2020, 07:28:09 PM »
I do wonder if Disgaea 6 is going to be soft reboot. Being Switch-focused in the west, being 3d for the first time, having slightly younger looking cast.

Each Disgaea game has just added sub-system after sub-system and five games in that's an insane amount of complexity. Hell Disgaea 5 is probably one of the most complex games I've ever played. If Disgaea 6 is trying to appeal to a new audience on Switch of younger kids I wonder if they'll roll back a bunch of sub-systems.

Either way, after this Disgaea refresher with 5, I'll be ready for the sub-systems in 6.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #35802 on: October 17, 2020, 10:18:43 PM »
GTA V platinum trophy quest is still ongoing, but in the in between meantimes I’ve also fired up my 360 occasionally.

I bought Faery for $1.49 during a sale, sight unseen, possibly with leftover credit. Even so, I still Feel ripped off. This is an abysmal game. I was prepared for any number of things, but a zero effort, C-tier JRPG wannabe was not among them. Deleted.

I love music games, though my history with them is spotty. There is always something wrong with them, some weird bug they’ve shipped with, and it will INEVITABLY catch my dick in its zipper fly teeth. Inis‘ Lips was a grinding-based progression game that ate its own save data regularly, and didn’t acknowledge its own DLC. XBL Karaoke did not offer a method for completing their object collection Achievements. Rock Band 1’s instrument/sign-in flow was broken. 2 shipped with broken support for their website  account registration, which was key for unlocking an Achievement that they’d made part of a 4-pt/6-pt pair, fucking with my OCD.

So I should have known better than to sale purchase the French Voxler Games Let’s Sing and Dance. The game qlitched out in hour two of gameplay, Preventing any sound from playing and Kinect moves from registering, AND playing the song video on endless loop. Fixing it required not just deleting save data, but deleting and reinstalling this now-delisted game. So that was “fun.” I’ve since been playing while expecting my progress there to be deleted, but instead I was bit by a glitched Achievement, “Saturday Night Fever,” which requires 30 minutes play on Saturday night. My first mistake was playing at noon. That’s on me. But then I started playing again at 22:40, and it didn’t unlock after 45 minutes. I looked it up again, turns out it’s only one mode, so I switched to that before midnight, and after an hour it still chose not to unlock. Even the models in the match-the-move videos look like they’re not having fun.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 10:24:34 PM by chronovore »

Bebpo

« Reply #35803 on: October 18, 2020, 12:10:16 AM »
Did you play Beat Saber?

I'd say that's the best current music game. The latest versions of DJ Max Portable is supposedly real good for the Bemania kinda thing. Sadly I don't think there's any good modern Karaoke replacement. Rock Band is still probably best place for that.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #35804 on: October 19, 2020, 06:52:46 PM »
lol I gobbled up Faery for the 200 gamerscore :hyper . It wasnt that bad!

I finished Quantum Break. Awesome graphics and story with decent gameplay, but man they dropped the ball in the final chapter...
QUANTUM BREAK SPOILERS
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Way to many loose ends to be a satisfying ending. I get they gotta leave doors open for a sequel but they didn't resolve shit. You don't know:
- If you actually saved the universe
- Whats wrong with Jack (does he have the same affliction Paul has/had?)
- What happened to Paul, mf'er just evaporated. What a cop out (hes gonna come back as a time spirit or some shit in the sequel yadayadayda)
- Despite the game building up to the deadly "shifter" lifeforms being a big deal, you never fight any. you see all the carnage cause by one but thats it. Im guessing they couldnt get the combat with a different enemy type polished enough in time? What happened to Dr Kim? Again another sequel thread.
- And finally the game hints at time actually being able to be changed but this is another cocktease. FFS.

[close]

Worst of all I doubt we'll see a sequel to this as Control was the next Remedy game :( So much wasted potential. I'd still recommend the game though as it was a really fun ride. I loved the live action sequences - great actors and acting! Lots of babes which was awesome.

Just a couple of collectibles I missed to get the 1000/1000. Will probably blast through again to make the different story decisions. Hard mode was easy except for the last boss fght which was really annoying due to his 1 hit KO AoE attack.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #35805 on: October 20, 2020, 01:43:28 AM »
Rogue Company is pretty good for free and all, I like medics though and being able to send a drone to revive dudes across the map is my fetish

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35806 on: October 20, 2020, 07:14:16 PM »
Played a lot of Breath of the Wild lately. Doing a second run on the Switch with the DLC (my first was on the Wii U, got 120 shrines without the DLC)

About 75 shrines now and one Divine Beast remaining. This game is already 3 years old and hasn't aged a day.
I also keep discovering new things after playing it for over 200 hours (Wii U + Switch) combined.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #35807 on: October 21, 2020, 04:02:32 AM »
Played through The Outer Worlds Expansion #1 - Peril on Gorgon.

It was alright. Just like the main game it's super competent but not very interesting and all the NPCs/party member banter/logs/notes are kinda bland and just the same corporate speak one-note joke over and over.

The story of the expansion is solid, it's got some fun areas to explore and it's a pretty sizeable length at around 7-8 hours with all the quests (and since the main game was like ~21 hours w/all quests, that's not bad).

It wasn't great and a reason to go back to the game, but it wasn't bad and didn't feel like a waste of time. Something like an 8/10 maybe.

It also reminded me of all the issues I have with The Outer Worlds. Besides just blandness of setting and NPCs and locations, there's

-Lack of interesting questing options. For an Obsidian game there really aren't a lot of branching ways to do quests. Most of the time it's either shoot somone or pay them off or persuade them and that's about it. There was one fun little quest where a merc ship raids your ship and you board their ship back and can either kill them all or talk to their captain. But when talking to the captain the only choice is just paying him a few bucks to leave or fight them. After paying him off, while walking out and seeing the giant ship's core unguarded I wondered if I could sabatoge their ship and blow it up on the way out or some actually interesting quest freedom choice...but nope, no way to interact with anything or doing anything. The questing reminds me more of Fallout 3 and Bethesda than Fallout NV and Obsidian in quest branch design.

-Shallow & bland gameplay. The exploration is very Bethesda with just lots of junk items everywhere, security logs to read and enemies to fight (human, robot security or monsters and that's about it). The combat scenarios all feel the same as there's not a lot of enemy types and there's just not much rpg or anything interesting to the combat besides taking a few guns and slowing down time and shooting things while healing. Even the skills and perks are really bland. There's no real zany & interesting perks you can give to make the gameplay more fun. It's all just like stat boosts. It probably the most bland character build options I've seen in an rpg. The shooting feels solid, but there's just not much to do besides using the half a dozen different weapon types on the same enemies over and over.

I'm expecting the 2nd expansion to be more of the same. But if they do make a real Outer Worlds 2 sequel at some point, I hope they rehaul everything. Make the combat interesting, the perks zany, varied and creative, interesting and cool teammates, quirky interesting NPCs and more ways to approach a quest and do it in a real roleplaying fashion.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #35808 on: October 22, 2020, 11:10:12 AM »
lol I gobbled up Faery for the 200 gamerscore :hyper . It wasnt that bad!
:whoo :dead :trigger :rollsafe :social :gamergate :ufup :kobeyuck :bluesteel

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35809 on: October 22, 2020, 03:24:23 PM »
Up to the final boss of Legend of Dragoon. Then I think I'll finally try to go for DKC2. Never beat DKC2 or 3 back in the day.
CS4 is shipping out to me tomorrow, but I'll be on vacation next week... will probably sink my teeth into that very soon.
^_^

« Reply #35810 on: October 22, 2020, 10:18:04 PM »
the pacing of persona 5 goes to hell after the 4th palace, even in the royal version. i just want to get the new content, but i guess it's all late game. i don't want to do the 5th dungeon even though i equipped one of the free dlc personas and easily kill things.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #35811 on: October 23, 2020, 01:18:56 PM »
The biggest problem with Royal IMO is that they didn't fix many issues with the original, only placed new material around it to prop it up. That September/October stretch is still the worst part of the game.   :-\

« Reply #35812 on: October 23, 2020, 10:42:21 PM »
The boss for the 5th palace... was it always this fucking hard? Having to kill them all in the same turn or the whole fight gets reset? What the fuck. Wasted way too much time on that. I had been relying only on knockdown > all out attack the whole time so suddenly not being able to do big damage really fucked me. Haven’t upgraded anyone’s weapons or armor since the first dungeon. Might have to actually fuse some personas too. Or I could just turn it on safety mode cuz who the hell cares

Bebpo

« Reply #35813 on: October 26, 2020, 01:09:33 AM »
btw, new Amnesia game, Amnesia: Rebirth is really good  :-[

I'm a few nights in, probably halfway. Seems up there with first Amnesia & SOMA but different style. I kinda feel it's more scripted and therefore less scary and more walking sim at times, but it definitely has it's scary moments and tension. The art, storytelling and VA is A++, no one else is making very polished FPS horror games like this besides Frictional Games. They're a great, great team and this seems like another winner.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #35814 on: October 26, 2020, 01:14:02 AM »
I fired up Red Dead Redemption 2 again after many months, and I can't remember how to do anything that's not mapped to GTA controls.

Also, as it was "Red Dead Revolver" and then "Red Dead Redemption,"  this should be titled "Red Dead Revenge" or …Rebirth, or Regulators.

"2" is a zero-effort marketing move.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #35815 on: October 26, 2020, 04:58:00 PM »
Red Dead Revengers of Vengeance
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #35816 on: October 26, 2020, 07:30:50 PM »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #35817 on: October 26, 2020, 10:42:39 PM »
I saw that Guacamelee! 2 was on GamePass some I'm playing that. I liked the first game and this is good too. Slick action and platforming. I was pleased to see that cheat-code to play on hard-mode from the get-go was also included in the sequel. Some great jokes and easter eggs. Is this game technically racist though? I cant tell
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 10:47:37 PM by The Sceneman »

Bebpo

« Reply #35818 on: October 26, 2020, 11:04:59 PM »
I don't think it's trying to be racist, it's definitely trying to celebrate the culture and not make fun of it, but it does play into stereotypes and the team was mostly/basically all white Canadians. They could've done better, but eh.

It's a great game like the first, but definitely ymmv on that. I think most people are ok with it, but some people find it offensive slightly. Like I've seen people jokingly call it racist metroidvania.

https://kotaku.com/im-mexican-am-i-supposed-to-be-offended-by-guacamelee-476018607

Coax

« Reply #35819 on: October 26, 2020, 11:12:28 PM »
Disc Room. Not bad but was hoping for more challenging goals in even the basic rooms. Even just longer time survival goals as many so far are things like 'survive 10 seconds' (despite it being trivial to for the first several zones), 'die to n type of discs'. I suppose they're counting on players wanting to beat leaderboards? That said it does reduce the barrier to progression so one doesn't feel stuck in any one particular room in the initial zones.

The boss rooms are more fun, particularly the 'Carnivorous Gatekeeper' room which forces longer play and during the second phase increases the challenge. They also mix things up with the timing of levels so it's not always a straight 'survive as long as you're alive' thing but can be things where only grabbing items increases the timer or only standing in a particular area. The player unlocks new abilities over time such as dash, slow time, clone and others which can be swapped between sessions and become increasingly necessary for various scenarios.