Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3558815 times)

Rman

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #240 on: June 20, 2009, 01:56:26 AM »
I got Spyro on PSN from qore (home, etc) and it's pretty boring.  Were the Spyro games, or at least the first one, really popular or well received back when it was released? I've only played the demos of Spyro and Crash games before this.

How are the triggers (L2/R2 buttons)?

They're kinda like the Real Triggers in shape and while they don't feel as good as the 360's they're an improvement over the squishy concave design on the DS3.  However the bumpers (L1 & R1) look and feel  almost exactly the same as the DS.

I might try it out.  The problem with PS3/PS2 games is that some use R1/L1, others use R2/L2 and few let you change them around.
The Spyro games were pretty well received back in the day.  They gave me motion sickness for some reason.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #241 on: June 20, 2009, 02:20:21 AM »
GBA spyro games are fantastic
itm

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #242 on: June 20, 2009, 03:03:53 AM »
Bought the castle, found the last three gargoyles. Let the micturating begin.

cool breeze

« Reply #243 on: June 20, 2009, 03:28:23 AM »
The Spyro games were pretty well received back in the day.  They gave me motion sickness for some reason.

Unless both the PSP and PS3 are able to work magic, Spyro actually looked alright.  I mean, it looked bad, but it didn't have the weird swimming textures a lot of PS1 games have.

And I don't get how the PSP/PS3 save sharing works.  I transferred the game to my PSP and save data was automatically created for my PSP, so I thought that was it, then I play and my save data didn't transfer over.

The only one I know of is the side scroller that's apparently Castlevania/Metroid.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #244 on: June 20, 2009, 03:41:59 AM »
man they dont play in Commando difficulty. this is do-able though.
fat

Rman

« Reply #245 on: June 20, 2009, 08:18:52 AM »

Unless both the PSP and PS3 are able to work magic, Spyro actually looked alright.  I mean, it looked bad, but it didn't have the weird swimming textures a lot of PS1 games have.

And I don't get how the PSP/PS3 save sharing works.  I transferred the game to my PSP and save data was automatically created for my PSP, so I thought that was it, then I play and my save data didn't transfer over.

The only one I know of is the side scroller that's apparently Castlevania/Metroid.
You can transfer your save by going to the memory utility, with your PSP plugged in to your PS3 via USB, and pressing triangle.

But, yeah, the implementation is stupid.  It should automatically sync saves for PSone games.

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #246 on: June 20, 2009, 04:56:04 PM »
Space Invaders Extreme
Picross DS

:rock
brb

ch1nchilla

« Reply #247 on: June 20, 2009, 05:08:33 PM »
Persona 3 fes and Resistance Retribution by the looks it.

HOW IS FES HOW IS FES

I'm starting it up this weekend, provided I mount up and finish the remaining few hours or so of Persona 4 I have left.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #248 on: June 20, 2009, 06:23:17 PM »
FES is great. More 'New Style' Persona formula.

I got my stick in, so this weekend is FIGHTING GAME EXTRAVAGANZA :hyper

Street Fighter 4, 3S, and Alpha Anthology
Tekken 5 DR
Soul Calibur 4
Samurai Shodown Anthology
Virtua Fighter 5
KOF XI
NGBC

I haven't really played on a stick in years. Some games are harder to adapt to than others...SF4 and VF5 I am sucking at. Tekken, SC, and SamSho are pretty great. KOF and Alpha middle of the road. I think my enjoyment directly relates to how many QCF/B motions are required. VF I think I just haven't played in forever. Back when I played in arcades (when they were alive), I got used to the corndog style joysticks, not the short, round ones. I will have to get over it, because I don't really want to mod one on...although I may spring for an eight-way gate.

Bring on BlazBlue, KOFXII, and T6!

I haven't even started on shooters yet! Gradius V will have to be broken out at some point.

Sooooo awesome. My wife getting soooo pissed.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #249 on: June 20, 2009, 10:37:36 PM »
Was playing a bit of Klonoa for the Wii. Pretty fun, cute game, but really easy so far.
^_^

Rman

« Reply #250 on: June 21, 2009, 12:16:37 AM »
Trying get back into gaming more regularly, but I'm still stuck with Banjo 360.  Game is long.

ch1nchilla

« Reply #251 on: June 21, 2009, 01:32:37 AM »
Was playing a bit of Klonoa for the Wii. Pretty fun, cute game, but really easy so far.

It never really stops being easy.  That's my only real knock on Klonoa: Door to Phantomile.

Chinchilla: I'm not really qualified to speak on FES's differences from regular P3, as I only own FES.  I haven't even gotten to "The Answer" yet, which is the extra post-game story you can play through on FES.

From what I've heard, "The Answer" is supposed to be extra shitty.

Bebpo

« Reply #252 on: June 21, 2009, 05:51:24 AM »

It never really stops being easy.  That's my only real knock on Klonoa: Door to Phantomile.

Chinchilla: I'm not really qualified to speak on FES's differences from regular P3, as I only own FES.  I haven't even gotten to "The Answer" yet, which is the extra post-game story you can play through on FES.

From what I've heard, "The Answer" is supposed to be extra shitty.

The Answer is good.  It's grindy and the story is weird but the ending is good, especially how it explains the ending of P3 in more detail.

Keep in mind The Answer was originally released a year after Persona 3 and was supposed to be an expansion pack for those who haven't played P3 in a year.  Obviously if you play it back to back with the main P3 game it'll feel like a repeat and burn you out quick.

Enl

« Reply #253 on: June 21, 2009, 06:59:28 PM »
Finally getting back into adventure games after an overlong hiatus. Trying to go through and catch up on some oldies that I missed out on. Here's what on my plate for the week:

The Dig- Fairly dry for a LucasArts adventure but I'm liking the atmosphere of the alien world. I did have to look up a solution fo a puzzle that aggravated me (one involving colored dots and a floating diamond).

Ween- Played briefly and immediately screwed up and blocked any progress I made into the game. I started over and learned from my mistake but I may not continue forth. It's a very goofy Myst-style game.

Sam and Max Hit the Road- Being a huge Monkey Island/DotT/Full Throttle fan it should be a given that I should have already played this. Nope. So now I'm making up for lost time. The humor holds up really well but it does have a few flaws when it comes to finding certain areas (ex: didn't know there was an elevator at the top of the giant ball of yarn). It'll be interesting to see how Tell Tales attempt holds up compared to this.

Other games on the list: Simon the Sorcerer, Legend of Kyrandia, King's Quest I, IJ:Fate of Atlantis, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, Scratches, Beneath the Steel Sky, Sanitarium

Also playing Diablo II, Street Fighter IV, and Mark of the Wolf when it comes out Wed.
mmm

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #254 on: June 22, 2009, 05:47:48 AM »
Got sick of console fagotery...going back to real men machine

:bow PC :bow2

Crysis...next in line Crysis Warhead
cat

lordmaji

• It's a joke, not a dick, so don't take it so hard!
« Reply #255 on: June 22, 2009, 12:00:47 PM »
Been trying to play Fable 2. But with most things I enjoy right now, I can't seem to focus on them at all.
:-[

tehjaybo

• Kentucky-Bore's Last Hope
« Reply #256 on: June 22, 2009, 12:34:56 PM »
Been going back and forth between Magic: The Gathering on XBLA and Fallout 3.  I beat Fallout 3 on PS3, but I have the opportunity to get the DLC for free on 360, and ACHIEVEMENTS AHOY, so I thought why not.
HURR

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #257 on: June 22, 2009, 01:17:25 PM »
It's back to Sacred 2 for me today. At this snail's pace I'll still be playing it next year.
fek

Enl

« Reply #258 on: June 22, 2009, 04:23:49 PM »

Ween- Played briefly and immediately screwed up and blocked any progress I made into the game. I started over and learned from my mistake but I may not continue forth. It's a very goofy Myst-style game.

Man, Ween is awesome. Crazy but awesome. There is another adventure game from the same dev studio, which is THE BEST FANTASY ADVENTURE GAME EVER (forget about King's Quests, The Longest Journey etc.) - it's called Shannara. I highly recommend it if you like:

a) fantasy adventure games
b) Ween (same style)

Checked out Shannara very briefly last night and it seems a bit more up my alley for what I'm looking for. I'll give it a shot later on.

I'll probably continue to pick at Ween piece by piece, but I'm not the biggest fan of adventure games that don't make you aware of when you reached a deadend.
mmm

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #259 on: June 22, 2009, 04:34:27 PM »
Been playing the original F.E.A.R. on the PC, and Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier on the DS.
©@©™

Enl

« Reply #260 on: June 22, 2009, 04:52:15 PM »
Shannara is easie... more friendly than Ween.

Did you ever try the Goblins series? Crazy humour and puzzles there, highly recommended. G3 is the best in the series followed by G2, G4 and G1 being the worst.

Actually I tried the first one briefly the other day and thought is was ok. Kinda reminded me a bit of Lost Vikings. If it's considered the worst then I'll give the others a try since I found the first one somewhat amusing.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 04:54:51 PM by Enl »
mmm

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #261 on: June 22, 2009, 05:39:29 PM »
Started playing Empire Total War and the original Condemned on the 360 which I never got round to.

Arma II is out here (UK) in the shops but not on Steam. The steam version comes out on 30 June, will probably buy that one.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #262 on: June 22, 2009, 10:15:09 PM »
Picked up Mercs 2 for $10 at a pawn shop. :rock
dog

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #263 on: June 22, 2009, 11:49:29 PM »
I've caught up on the 360 games I wanted to play (with the exception of Halo Wars), so I may either re-up on Live to play Halo 3 some more or bust out the last gen games again. KOTOR on Xbox or FFX on PS2 seem to be the most likely candidates, with God of War being the dark horse.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #264 on: June 23, 2009, 12:29:00 AM »
So, in Red Faction, I was at this point in the game where you had to collect up supplies and people while the EDF were hitting the area with artillery strikes and marauders are attacking.  There were ten objectives.  Some of them involve telling people to run away from the artillery strikes, because I guess they're so motherfucking distinguished mentally-challenged they wouldn't know to do that unless I told them.  I'm on the ninth objective when a big MISSION FAILED banner splashes across the screen.  So now I have to drive all the way to the mission briefing, then drive all the way back to these ten objectives and go through this whole rigmarole again because the developers were too fucking stupid to put a checkpoint at least halfway through the mission.

No, wait, I don't have to do any of that.  Goddamn this game.  That's GTA IV levels of checkpoint bullshit.  If it weren't a Gamefly rental I would've snapped the disc in half.
sup

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #265 on: June 23, 2009, 12:29:55 AM »
Been playing Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars.

It's great. And it has Cameron! Double awesome!
nat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #266 on: June 23, 2009, 01:05:30 AM »
So, in Red Faction, I was at this point in the game where you had to collect up supplies and people while the EDF were hitting the area with artillery strikes and marauders are attacking.  There were ten objectives.  Some of them involve telling people to run away from the artillery strikes, because I guess they're so motherfucking distinguished mentally-challenged they wouldn't know to do that unless I told them.  I'm on the ninth objective when a big MISSION FAILED banner splashes across the screen.  So now I have to drive all the way to the mission briefing, then drive all the way back to these ten objectives and go through this whole rigmarole again because the developers were too fucking stupid to put a checkpoint at least halfway through the mission.

No, wait, I don't have to do any of that.  Goddamn this game.  That's GTA IV levels of checkpoint bullshit.  If it weren't a Gamefly rental I would've snapped the disc in half.

I keep reading about this and I am still stumped how it's possible to fail. Must be some stroke of random luck.
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #267 on: June 23, 2009, 01:14:50 AM »
some citizen died because i didn't get there in enough time to tell them to run away from the artillery shells exploding all around and on top of their home

did i mention goddamn this game
sup

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #268 on: June 23, 2009, 01:30:18 AM »
Fuckin' around with various nes games. :bow Contra :bow2
Hi

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #269 on: June 23, 2009, 01:32:28 AM »
some citizen died because i didn't get there in enough time to tell them to run away from the artillery shells exploding all around and on top of their home

did i mention goddamn this game

That mission is hilarious. Hey person in building, I'm here to save you! Just step outside of the building and you'll be safe, never mind the artillery fire and crazy sandmen attacking the town! Well, I'm off, mission accomplished!

duckman2000

« Reply #270 on: June 23, 2009, 04:05:47 AM »
Oh yeah, and Burnout 3 is still freaking awesome. Although the whole crashing bit feels a bit silly after Paradise, the Road Rage events still kick ass.

:bow Xbox Originals :bow2

I think I've become damaged by the 360, as I keep waiting for achievements to pop up after particularly wicked takedowns.

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #271 on: June 23, 2009, 04:23:27 AM »
I've picked up Timeshift again.  I thought I might be near the end but I think I'm only about a half to 2/3 way through - it's a pretty big game.

It's a lot of fun, varied, reasonably inventive and well-paced.  Shame it didn't get much recognition.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #272 on: June 23, 2009, 04:36:58 AM »
Oh yeah, and Burnout 3 is still freaking awesome. Although the whole crashing bit feels a bit silly after Paradise, the Road Rage events still kick ass.

:bow Xbox Originals :bow2

I think I've become damaged by the 360, as I keep waiting for achievements to pop up after particularly wicked takedowns.

That's "Achievement Withdrawal Syndrome" -- I'm going through it right now as my main efforts are the endgames of Mercs 2, Hulk, and the terminally stingy Guitar Hero III.

Powerslave

« Reply #273 on: June 23, 2009, 12:32:03 PM »
Finished playing:

Awesome game! Great brainless FPS, sometimes with breathtaking scenery, oh yeah the graphics are top-notch in this game. So are the effects of explosions and the way the environment gets destroyed by gunshots and rocket launchers. You can break a lot in this game. It's also very nice to see the rocket that you just fired travel a long distance and finally explode with a muffled explosion sound. Great effect and very realistic.
The AI of the enemies is actually kinda good. Though it has some little errors.
The game also has a cool arsenal of weapons. AK47, M16, Rocket Launcher, P90, Magnum revolver, Uzi's, MP5, M203 grenade launcher, Sniper rifle, 2 types of shotguns and some more.
I like it that you get infinite ammo after finishing the game. Excellent idea, game developers needs to reward players more with nifty treats after having finished the game. Now I can totally demolish everything around me!

Downsides:

• The game is too short, there are only 8 levels. However, the levels each take about approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes at minimum to complete. Some levels I finished in 2 hours.
  • Every time you reload your weapon, everything but your weapon on the screen turns blurry. Get's kinda annoying.
  • Your team-mates are distinguished mentally-challenged fellows most of the time.
  • Wannabe badass storyline with horrible voice acting. It's as if they tried to imitate MGS.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:35:02 PM by Powerslave »

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #274 on: June 23, 2009, 07:54:11 PM »
I don't have Black but I have played a friend's copy a bit - it's an amazing game and visually I think it could pass for a current generation title at a glance.  I hope they do a follow-up sometime.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #275 on: June 23, 2009, 09:09:56 PM »

The amazing e3 footage of the second game inspired me to actually play the first. Not sure why this game was the target of so much hate. I'm having a great time with it.
zzzzz

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #276 on: June 23, 2009, 09:14:48 PM »
it's just boring. it's not really bad.
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #277 on: June 23, 2009, 09:26:15 PM »
^
pretty much that

the reason I'm excited for AC2 is because they specifically mentioned that they will add variety to the game

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #278 on: June 23, 2009, 09:27:29 PM »
AC is a awesome game if it clicks with you.  If it doesn't click, you'll just think it's dull.  There's doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

:heartbeat GOTY2007 :heartbeat

cool breeze

« Reply #279 on: June 23, 2009, 09:32:37 PM »
I'm in the middle ground!

Hell, I boot up the game sometimes just to run around and smack down lepers

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #280 on: June 23, 2009, 09:40:02 PM »
Assassin's Creed 2: Now with more flags
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #281 on: June 23, 2009, 11:13:01 PM »
Assassin's Creed 2: Now with more flags
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Wow, I hated the flags. I got all but one in Masayaf, and decided I would ignore all of them, forever.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #282 on: June 23, 2009, 11:16:55 PM »
I've been so addicted to Class of Heroes. The game really comes into its own post game. I keep finding new crazy loot and I've only discovered 26% of the games total items.
:9

ch1nchilla

« Reply #283 on: June 23, 2009, 11:18:35 PM »
OMG PERSONA 4 NEVER ENDS.

Ending spoilers:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've solved the case more or less, I called it that the murderer was Adachi like 15 hours into the game... banging Chie, Yukiko, the drama girl, and Rise ftw. Maybe I should max out Kanji-kun just to be hilarious.
[close]

Anyway, apparently there are 2 dungeons left? Sheeeeeeeeit. I'm already at 80 hours... I'm not going to be done with this any time soon it seems, and I want to move onto some other games, preferably Blue Dragon and Persona 3. Gotta hit up that backlog.  I also want to new game + Persona 4... ugh.

I have no interest in going back to Killzone 2. At all.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #284 on: June 23, 2009, 11:19:41 PM »
About Persona 4

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I totally banged Chie too
[close]
:9

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #285 on: June 23, 2009, 11:37:22 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Wow, I hated the flags. I got all but one in Masayaf, and decided I would ignore all of them, forever.

I found most of the flags, I think I'm missing a couple in the kingdom and Jerusalem (and one goddamn Templar somewhere >:().  I've given up.  The collecting is fine for the completionists among us, but they need to have a much, much better system than just throwing down a ton of flags over vast areas.

duckman2000

« Reply #286 on: June 23, 2009, 11:43:12 PM »
The problem isn't with the collection, but the sameness of getting the flag and of the reward. They could have done a lot more with that (and that's the story of the whole game, really), and I hope we get something closer to the dead drops of Infamous for the sequel.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #287 on: June 24, 2009, 12:42:38 AM »
ghostbusters

busting makes me feel kinda sorta okay

they're trying a little too hard with the gags, but it's pleasant so far

i'd have actually preferred a more cartoonish art style over the realistic one (the off-kilter facial animations are a bit distracting)
sup

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #288 on: June 24, 2009, 12:51:28 AM »
I am playing Phantasy Star 2. I am stuck in the first dungeon.

(i've never actually beaten this game or even played the first 5 minutes)
fat

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #289 on: June 24, 2009, 01:19:40 AM »
Super Mario Bros 3.  I've taken back alot of my criticisms I originaly had towards it.  Its a nice string of bite sized levels.  Every other level has an interesting gimmick.  Its fun looking for secret rooms too.  The overworld trekking is annoying though.  I hate having to chase a ship by going through multiple POINTLESS overworld warp pipes.

Been neglecting career mode in Tiger Woods for online matches.  I'm currently 1-11 :/ but I had some nice games that were close.  Although I wasn't sure if one guy was cheating or if EA didn't segregate the all-play gamers from the online population.  One round had fucking wind speeds of 30 mph the whole course wtf.

I'm also playing that game where you walk around in 100 degree weather because you dont have a car.
sad

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #290 on: June 24, 2009, 02:31:12 AM »
It has about four fun missions and one city duplicated without remorse. I suspect the game designers sat down for six months refining about an hour's worth of gameplay then took three and a half years off for a job well done.

I can see it getting old quick, but I'm enjoying it for the time being. Climbing shit is really enjoyable, and I kinda like the combat despite how easy it is (counter, counter, counter, counter). Hope it can hold me until the end.
zzzzz

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #291 on: June 24, 2009, 02:32:34 AM »
I am one of the few who liked Far Cry 2, by the way, so it is a possibility.
zzzzz

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #292 on: June 24, 2009, 05:51:01 AM »
Getting my ass handed to me in Phantasy Star 2... just got to the Tower of Nido.

Also JUST 2 MORE levels to clear 100% pegs in Peggle, for the 'Doctor of the Peggle Arts' achievement. I mustve spent 40+ hours on this one already....

Im probably gonna pick up Magic on XBLA soon too. I play and love the real cardboard game so should have fun with this title, I hear its very solid for 800pts. And I should be able to boost online with some of you guys  :D

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #293 on: June 24, 2009, 05:55:33 AM »
I am playing Phantasy Star 2. I am stuck in the first dungeon.

(i've never actually beaten this game or even played the first 5 minutes)

Sweet so youre playing it too?

What helped me out:

Once you level Rolf up a bit you learn skills that warp you back to save points and then one that can warp you out of a dungeon, really handy shit. Escapipe is useful at the start.

You need to buy the steel bar for Nei so she can fight. Also save up for the sword in the second town (the one on the way to the 1st dungeon), it dominates.

Also have you got the extra dude for your party? Go back to your house in the main city you begin in and this other dude Rudo joins you if youve made it to the 1st dungeon.

The 1st dungeon is a bitch of a maze, but keep at it. I evntually found the way up

and you can double equip single handed weapons for double the damage

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #294 on: June 24, 2009, 06:03:46 AM »
I figured out the dungeon and got the letter and key. I'm going back to see if it unlocks those treasures that I couldn't get.
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #295 on: June 24, 2009, 06:04:42 AM »
the treasures are just key items to get into the next dungeon  :-\

OLLD SCHOOoOL
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 06:15:08 AM by Scenester »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #296 on: June 24, 2009, 06:05:51 AM »
I have like 10,000 dollars right now, lol. My dudes are around level 10
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #297 on: June 24, 2009, 06:07:42 AM »
yeah I spent way too much cash just buying armor and shit that I couldnt even equip  :lol

the game doesnt do a great job at telling you about items and who can equip etc.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #298 on: June 24, 2009, 06:09:31 AM »
Well it denies you if you try to buy something for someone who cant use it. It will go through if they can.
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #299 on: June 24, 2009, 06:11:42 AM »
Yeah I figured that out eventually but in general the game doesnt tell you what the items/skills do, you gotta use em and figure it out. its part of the old school charm I guess. The music is awesome