Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3591779 times)

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #480 on: July 12, 2009, 06:21:51 PM »
Continuing FF tactics PSP and Mafia Wars on Facebook.

ch1nchilla

« Reply #481 on: July 12, 2009, 06:49:06 PM »
J-bore: how is DQIX?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #482 on: July 12, 2009, 10:31:12 PM »
It's really good so far.  Like a bizarre child of DQ3 and DQ8.  The "visible enemies" thing is a surprisingly good compromise for both sides of the random encounter argument I think, and they tweaked the battle system a bit to make using the fight command a bit more useful.  The game is not at all what I was fearing it might be from the pre-release info and the first half hour or so of the game.  Oh, most importantly, it's fast, like DQ should be and DQ8 was NOT.

I admire that you are willing to play RPGs in Japanese. I can usually muddle through them, but playing them feels too much like doing homework. I'll read manga in Japanese, watch movies and TV in Japanese, but playing videogames it just isn't fun.

« Reply #483 on: July 12, 2009, 10:37:11 PM »
I played through Dragon Quest Young Yangus and the Mysterious Dungeon in Japanese last year without a walkthrough to supplement my Japanese knowledge. That was really tough.
野球

Powerslave

« Reply #484 on: July 12, 2009, 10:46:51 PM »
I played San Andreas for the first time in years (before GTA4) and the game is so awesome.  I was starting cut GTA4 some slack after Lost and the Damned, which was great, but playing San Andreas again reminds me why I was so disappointed. 

Vice City is better :(

FatalT

« Reply #485 on: July 12, 2009, 10:54:08 PM »
Dual-boxing World of Warcraft with a Mage and a Paladin.

ch1nchilla

« Reply #486 on: July 12, 2009, 11:26:56 PM »
Glad to hear the furigana part, I'm waiting to buy this when I move to Tokyo.

Rman

« Reply #487 on: July 13, 2009, 12:14:31 AM »
My first full fledged DQ experience was DQ8 actually, so the slow battles never bothered me.  I completed DQIV earlier this year, and boy did it seem like DQ8 on speed, coupled with the lack of party animations.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #488 on: July 13, 2009, 01:27:59 AM »
It's really good so far.  Like a bizarre child of DQ3 and DQ8.  The "visible enemies" thing is a surprisingly good compromise for both sides of the random encounter argument I think, and they tweaked the battle system a bit to make using the fight command a bit more useful.  The game is not at all what I was fearing it might be from the pre-release info and the first half hour or so of the game.  Oh, most importantly, it's fast, like DQ should be and DQ8 was NOT.

I admire that you are willing to play RPGs in Japanese. I can usually muddle through them, but playing them feels too much like doing homework. I'll read manga in Japanese, watch movies and TV in Japanese, but playing videogames it just isn't fun.

Same here.  I thought about using RPGs as a way to enhance my studies at one point, but then I realized it would probably be a better idea to do this with a genre I actually like.
ど助平

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #489 on: July 13, 2009, 04:25:03 AM »
typing maniac
QED

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #490 on: July 13, 2009, 05:36:07 AM »
I had the opposite experience: my FFT party was not doing much random encounter stuff, so after the irreversible ship journey with all of one or two stops prior to a major story battle, I was completely borked. I could NOT finish the fight without losing somebody. Tried it 8 or 10 times, decided I should start the campaign over from the beginning.

...That was me playing the PS1 version right after it came out. Now I own the PSP version and STILL haven't taken the wrapper off from it.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #491 on: July 13, 2009, 05:45:19 AM »
played some Lumines on the bus. It took away the pain

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #492 on: July 13, 2009, 05:56:24 AM »
Everyone played it "unFAQed" back in the day... sorry you are just now arriving at 1995 Borys. Be sure to tell us the amazing clarity of your new LCD monitor later on.
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #493 on: July 13, 2009, 05:58:33 AM »
Because Fire Emblem doesn't give you a timer when someone dies and there's no way to revive them in battle, and FFT isn't a hard game by any means
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #494 on: July 13, 2009, 06:00:38 AM »
Its actually pretty cool playing RPGs without FAQs/forums. Ive played Persona 3 more or less help free (a tiny lil bit to start with) and its quite good discovering all the shit for yourself

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #495 on: July 13, 2009, 06:02:43 AM »
Oh and btw feel free to tell us how fucking frustrating the Velius fight is

Though assuming your grind happy ways it will be a pushover
fat

Beezy

« Reply #496 on: July 13, 2009, 08:48:38 AM »
Its actually pretty cool playing RPGs without FAQs/forums.

That's a given.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #497 on: July 13, 2009, 09:23:48 AM »
I know with the levels and story and crap that I'm splitting some very fine hairs, but when I see most Japanese RPGs it looks like a fight between two spreadsheets. My favorite way to play RPGs is to read the plot synopsis on wikipedia.

I don't consider tactics-style games, with grid movement and facing and such, to be RPGs. Tactics at least makes it feel like a wargame.

Powerslave

« Reply #498 on: July 13, 2009, 11:16:21 AM »
that Hamedo not only is a counter but it also entirely cancels enemy's attack - even the description in game doesn't mention it!)

If the game doesn't mention this, then how do I know it?

Powerslave

« Reply #499 on: July 13, 2009, 12:54:44 PM »
The explanation for everything :smug

archie4208

« Reply #500 on: July 13, 2009, 01:39:22 PM »
I just realized that in DotT you can directly give items to Hoagie and Bernard without having to go to the Chron-o-John.  I feel distinguished mentally-challenged. :lol

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #501 on: July 14, 2009, 11:32:38 PM »
I started playing Burnout Paradise after not being very enthused by it to begin with.  Having a lot more fun now though going for all the upgraded cars.

Also, the bikes are fantastic!  Unlike pretty much every other racing game in history that has included bikes.

Beezy

« Reply #502 on: July 14, 2009, 11:56:01 PM »
I bought Raiden Fighters Aces earlier today. This game is CRACK! :hyper

I'm definitely picking up the fourth one when it comes out. :D

drew

• sy
« Reply #503 on: July 14, 2009, 11:59:59 PM »
saints row 2 :pimp

just defeated the asians :flex

Tucah

« Reply #504 on: July 15, 2009, 12:04:11 AM »
Stiiiiill Devil Survivor. Grinding during Day 6 currently. Have Persona 3, which I've never played, lined up right after this.

drew

• sy
« Reply #505 on: July 15, 2009, 12:12:07 AM »
Stiiiiill Devil Survivor. Grinding during Day 6 currently. Have Persona 3, which I've never played, lined up right after this.

obligatory:

good thing you bought both, this could have been you!

archie4208

« Reply #506 on: July 15, 2009, 12:25:18 AM »
I'm getting a little bit better at figuring out puzzles in DotT.  I was able to do the entire human judging contest in the future without having to read a guide. 

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #507 on: July 15, 2009, 01:42:22 AM »
So are any Wiiware games worth bothering with besides FFIV.V? I played bit trip beat for 5 minutes and got bored.
Hi

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #508 on: July 15, 2009, 02:38:34 AM »
Not really, no. You could DL the Strong Bad games I guess.

edit: Contra Rebirth definitely. It is japa but you can region-free it.
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #509 on: July 15, 2009, 02:46:27 AM »
Shadowgrounds has a really weird easter egg.  You go into a room and see three aliens standing next to a giant pot leaf.  yeah.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #510 on: July 15, 2009, 02:49:10 AM »
Monkey Island in TREE HOUAS
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #511 on: July 15, 2009, 12:21:57 AM »
saints row 2 :pimp

just defeated the asians :flex

The "special" sword battles were not my favorite thing. I would liked to have seen them use the standard swordfighting melee, and focus on having either distance or an active block or the main opponent could go all Attack-of-the-Clones-Yoda on you. Instead it was just awkward and ill-tuned. Then again, it's not nearly as unnatural and WTF-do-I-do inducing as the Maero battle.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #512 on: July 15, 2009, 12:30:40 AM »
ど助平

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #513 on: July 15, 2009, 12:33:34 AM »
Monkey Island in TREE HOUAS

WHAT.

Oh my god I have the next two days off I have the best timing of anyone in the history of the world oh my god.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #514 on: July 15, 2009, 12:36:09 AM »
I will never understand the mechanics behind Final Fantasy Tactics. Why does a Ninja equipped with 2 Swords deal LESS damage than the same Ninja barefisted?

smh

cause ninjas are crap and monks rock... told you the upper classes are useless
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #515 on: July 15, 2009, 03:48:41 AM »
I think Persona 3 is getting the most playtime out of all the shit Im playing ATM. About 40 hours in, just wanna beat this thing!

and picked up 50 CENT: BLOOD ON THE SAND today. Cant wait to play it!

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #516 on: July 15, 2009, 04:33:36 AM »
FUEL demo: ugh
V8 demo: ugh
Monkey Island: ugh

What a great night of gaming thus far.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #517 on: July 15, 2009, 06:05:18 AM »
So are any Wiiware games worth bothering with besides FFIV.V? I played bit trip beat for 5 minutes and got bored.

Cubello is a decent enough time killer that doesn't break the bank, and I hear Gradius Rebirth isn't horrible... The Contra Rebirth looks great and hopefully that will come over here soon.
^_^

Robo

« Reply #518 on: July 15, 2009, 01:53:08 PM »
Bionic Commando.  I got the swing mechanic down, but does the combat ever stop sucking?
obo

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #519 on: July 15, 2009, 04:27:19 PM »
Started playing Lord of the Rings Online, which I had never tried. Surprisingly fun, great duo with the wife once we get to higher levels.

Still playing 1404 A.D., finally having cracked some of the game's mechanics (which are very poorly documented) finding much easier time on hard difficultly. Fun game, just sort of wish each game could be resolved in a bit less time, as even one game w/ 3 AI opponents is a real timesink.

Playing Silent War (solitaire WW2 submarine game) on my dining room table. So much fun, eventually I'll meet the first tonnage requirement to keep my job.

hex

Beezy

« Reply #520 on: July 15, 2009, 08:02:34 PM »
I'm playing a bunch of shitty ass N64 games. Plowing through Donkey Kong 64 at the moment until demi's package of Legend of the Mystical Ninja and Quest 64 come in. I might make a thread about it, I dunno.
This game has one of the best N64 soundtracks. :-[

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #521 on: July 15, 2009, 08:09:44 PM »
what do you think of my package, beezy?
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #522 on: July 15, 2009, 08:11:38 PM »
I think Persona 3 is getting the most playtime out of all the shit Im playing ATM. About 40 hours in, just wanna beat this thing!

Hah. You and I seem to have the same supplier. I've got that Fiddy game too. I'd offer to help you co-op, but that would just lead to increasing the list of co-op games we're not completing.

Beezy

« Reply #523 on: July 15, 2009, 08:28:33 PM »
what do you think of my package, beezy?
Slime will have loads of fun with it. :smug

archie4208

« Reply #524 on: July 16, 2009, 02:38:37 AM »
I beat Day of the Tentacle.  It took about 9 hours and I had to consult the guide about a dozen times.  Some things, such as switching the mattresses in the past, I would have never ever guessed.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #525 on: July 16, 2009, 03:54:28 AM »
Started playing Lord of the Rings Online, which I had never tried. Surprisingly fun, great duo with the wife once we get to higher levels.

:bow

The game is very solo'able (up to certain points in the main quest). So having even just a second person along helps things move much faster.
:9

cool breeze

« Reply #526 on: July 16, 2009, 04:03:21 AM »
playing Beyond Good and Evil on PC and it's such a messy PC version.  It has problems running on vista, so you have to force some settings in the nvidia control panel.  No controller support at all, and even using pinnacle or xpadder sucks for it.  Wide screen support stretches the screen, which makes no fucking sense since the game was already wide screen using black bars in 4:3 mode;  I have to run it in a 4:3 resolution, then zoom in using my 16:10 monitor to get it to look proper.  And it has a ton of tearing, sound problems and other issues.  Sometimes PC gaming gets annoying, but it's better than the alternative on the 360 of not playing the game at all because they don't have BC for it.

Andowsky

« Reply #527 on: July 16, 2009, 04:16:55 AM »
NCAA 2010.

Holy God EA, wtf happened? 09 was not perfect but it was at least a solid game. This might be the worst football game I have ever played.

When you start a dynasty, you're offered bonus pipeline states for a mere $2 a pop  :lol

Darunia

« Reply #528 on: July 16, 2009, 04:57:09 AM »
Finished Alone in the Dark.  :-X

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #529 on: July 16, 2009, 05:04:47 AM »

Hah. You and I seem to have the same supplier. I've got that Fiddy game too. I'd offer to help you co-op, but that would just lead to increasing the list of co-op games we're not completing.

50 co:op sounds pretty easy though, we can just smash through it apparently (twice though  :'()

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #530 on: July 16, 2009, 05:28:02 AM »
i started playin vesperia again, my old save was like from a year ago, but I think i can beat it now

still a pretty funny game, the skits and the characters
萌え~

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #531 on: July 16, 2009, 05:31:01 AM »
Finished Alone in the Dark.  :-X

are you the fucking universe?
fat

Darunia

« Reply #532 on: July 16, 2009, 06:02:15 AM »
I don't have your stone. AND FUCK YOU ANYWAY

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #533 on: July 16, 2009, 06:38:35 AM »
best game I ever 1000'ed  :lol

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #534 on: July 16, 2009, 10:13:14 AM »
NCAA 2010.

Holy God EA, wtf happened? 09 was not perfect but it was at least a solid game. This might be the worst football game I have ever played.

When you start a dynasty, you're offered bonus pipeline states for a mere $2 a pop  :lol

Nooooooo. Not what I want to hear. Are the controls a problem? I didn't have any issues with the demo.
©ZH

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #535 on: July 16, 2009, 02:24:08 PM »
back to Guilty Gear Accent Core plus

Andowsky

« Reply #536 on: July 16, 2009, 02:50:51 PM »
NCAA 2010.

Nooooooo. Not what I want to hear. Are the controls a problem? I didn't have any issues with the demo.

Controls are nowhere near as tight as last year.
Game is choppy as hell. Run plays in particular, they are brutal. This is PS3 version though.
AI still seems to take the most moronic angles possible a lot of the time. Though to counter this problem, sometimes the AI guys get a ridiculous speed burst.
Game slows way down when you drop back in the pocket if you're blitzed. Then it speeds way up when you throw the ball.
Players warp all over the field. Countless times already I have thrown a ball, thought no way the dude would get there and then he teleports the last 5 yards to make the catch.
Fucking ads for dynasty boosters are annoying. I don't see an option to turn them off.
Punt coverage is still non existent unless you have real fast shooters

On the other hand, man coverage seems to be a hell of a lot more solid than last year. Crossing routes and deep posts aren't $$$$$ anymore. And the play set up feature actually seems to work fairly well. Still, hell of a disappointment.

JaySosa

« Reply #537 on: July 16, 2009, 05:39:36 PM »
Just finished Suikoden 2, so much better than the first which I also finished not too long ago. Next to FF VII, BOF 3, Persona 3 the DDS Saga, Vagrant Story and Star Ocean 2 the best JRPG I've ever played.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Unfortunatly I couldn't save Nanami, man I was devastated. Probably will replay it soon and try to get all the 108 stars and the other stuff I have to do to get the good ending. Thats also one of my few criticisms about that game. How am I supposed to get all the stars without a faq?
[close]

Know I understand all the hate the 4th installement got. I enjoyed it because it was the first Suiko I played but the 2nd is lightyears ahead..

But since it introduced me to the series I'll always have a special place In my heart for it.. :D

Next up is either Odin Sphere or Eternal Poison, still have to finish Banjo Tooie and Lost Planet though..

Powerslave

« Reply #538 on: July 16, 2009, 06:00:32 PM »
jaysosa

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #539 on: July 16, 2009, 07:48:46 PM »
Might finally get around to trying Red Faction and/or Ghostbusters which I've had for a bit, but haven't had time to play.
fek