Author Topic: Bioshock Arkham Asylum  (Read 16863 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Bioshock Arkham Asylum
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2009, 06:02:41 PM »
Depends on how you're using it. Knock down a thug, run away, then when everyone groups together, throw the batarang and tink - tink - tink - tink - then run up and start smashing faces

You also need it for the "Catch" achievement
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #121 on: August 31, 2009, 07:06:11 PM »
to be honest, ever since the
spoiler (click to show/hide)
poison ivy
[close]
level i haven't really been having much fun with it
sup

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #122 on: August 31, 2009, 07:07:21 PM »
Isnt that basically the end of the game?
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2009, 07:12:05 PM »
i still need to

get the scarecrow and go into killer croc's lair
[close]

but i think i'm pretty close to the end

i've just been getting really frustrated with clearing out half a room of guys and then having to restart the whole section again, especially the part  where

they rig the gargoyles with explosives
[close]
sup

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2009, 07:36:36 PM »
They give you so much other stuff to grapple on and hide in, though. You can literally hide on the very top of the main building.
PSP

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #125 on: August 31, 2009, 09:00:20 PM »
Use the Sonic Batarang and lure one of them out (only one always goes to check) then WHAP. Soon the group will go check. So you throw the remote batarang. Tink tink tink, run out and WHAP WHAP

Also you can get on the gargoyles and have plenty of time to jump off somewhere safe.
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2009, 05:20:38 AM »
the video shop has it now so Im'a rent this weekend. Is it worth going for 100% (i.e is it actually fun/challenging?) or should I just blow through it once?

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2009, 07:32:40 AM »
I just got the game tonight and I died three times in the very first battle on hard before I got the rhythm of the counters and blew through the second wave of baddies.  I am lovin' it.

I also got a random free t-shirt with my order.  It's crap, but :hyper.  It was squeezed into a tiny batarang shape.

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2009, 06:50:53 PM »
I only got to play an hour last night and I spent most of it oggling the scenery.  The zoomed and moveable first person view is brilliant.

Bebpo

« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2009, 07:18:20 PM »
I think the graphics are kinda bleh (PS3 version at least) but then when I go in detective mode and it drops the textures and graphical effects it looks great.  So I just leave detective mode on like 95% of the time, lol.  Plus it's easier to find crap and see enemies in it!

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2009, 09:23:04 PM »
I really like the design.  It gives me the same vibe as Biosock - takes place in one place but still throws out variety.

edit: Biosock :teehee

cool breeze

« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2009, 11:34:02 PM »
This game is pretty fun.  Only annoying thing is that the game really fucks logic to push game mechanics.  Like, one area you had to climb up an area, and if you try to grapple, it will say the area is too weak to support grappling.  If you accidentally fall from the top, you see a recover animation of Batman shooting his grapple and climbing up.  The best is when you go hardcore with prep time.  I want more of that and less fighting, which isn't bad, just not that much fun.  Right now I'm smacking around these lepers and it's all "they jump out, punch them in face" over time.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2009, 12:27:48 AM »
First, it's a comic book. Second, that makes sense, regardless if irritates you.

... I'm collecting all the Riddler challenges now. Any cool perk if you collect them all?
PSP

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2009, 12:32:27 AM »
Achievement, listening to the Riddler get owned... besides that nope
fat

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2009, 12:36:01 AM »
How many achievement points?
PSP

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2009, 12:38:02 AM »
a million
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2009, 09:11:44 AM »
I tried one of the Joker levels and it was kinda dull.  There only seemed to be three gadgets, one that was a detective mode that restricted your movement, and no grapple or glide ability.  I guess it's neat to kill guards using a gun and bomb. 

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #137 on: September 02, 2009, 01:16:11 PM »
man, that last battle is just pure shit
sup

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #138 on: September 02, 2009, 02:22:16 PM »
It felt awfully videogamey.
PSP

E-DuB

« Reply #139 on: September 02, 2009, 04:15:11 PM »
Just finished it. I agree about the end fight, more of a throw-away than anything else. Definitely one of the best superhero games I've played in recent memory

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #140 on: September 02, 2009, 04:42:51 PM »
I don't think there is a superhero game that comes close, in terms of quality.
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #141 on: September 02, 2009, 10:19:55 PM »
Just got all the Riddler challenges!

So pretty much just the achievements from the challenges are left. I kind of want to do 1000 on this title, but I think it'll be tuff.
PSP

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2009, 10:56:41 PM »
Man, I am so torn on when to pick this up. I feel like if I buy it, I'll play it and fail to finish all the other stuff I've got half done.

This game is pretty fun.  Only annoying thing is that the game really fucks logic to push game mechanics.  Like, one area you had to climb up an area, and if you try to grapple, it will say the area is too weak to support grappling.  If you accidentally fall from the top, you see a recover animation of Batman shooting his grapple and climbing up.  The best is when you go hardcore with prep time.  I want more of that and less fighting, which isn't bad, just not that much fun.  Right now I'm smacking around these lepers and it's all "they jump out, punch them in face" over time.

First, it's a comic book. Second, that makes sense, regardless if irritates you.

... I'm collecting all the Riddler challenges now. Any cool perk if you collect them all?

If any of you want to bitch about a superhero game, go rent HULK or Iron Man, and then come back to this thread. The demo allowed me to feel like Batman. Has any other Batman game managed that? Hell, has any other superhero game allowed you to play this close to how the character reads in their comics?
OK, the Ultimate Spider-Man game was pretty hot.
[close]

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #143 on: September 02, 2009, 11:02:43 PM »
i'd say rent it or wait for a price drop, once it's over there isn't much in the way of replayability (except for the challenges, i guess)

i loved the first 2/3 of the game, but the last few sections turned into just another third-person action game, almost like they didn't know how to end it
sup

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #144 on: September 02, 2009, 11:09:08 PM »
I think the Riddler challenges and Challenge Mode are worth it, personally. They're pretty sweet.

I could probably play the Predator stuff in Challenge Mode an infinite amount of time. I really dig it.
PSP

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #145 on: September 02, 2009, 11:48:37 PM »
I'm not very far into the game, but I'm happy to engage in hyperbole.

:elephant GOTY2009 :elephant

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #146 on: September 02, 2009, 11:59:02 PM »
nobody on my list has touched the challenges so i am #1 on everything - as usual
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: September 03, 2009, 12:30:40 AM »
Chrono can't rent it because he's in Japan.  He has to go the import route.

Man, I am so torn on when to pick this up. I feel like if I buy it, I'll play it and fail to finish all the other stuff I've got half done.

Batman AA is really good.  You'll definitely be glued to it once you get it.  I'm not done, but I think I'm going to end up agreeing with Eel on the replay issue; don't really care about the challenge stuff and I'm already playing it through on hard the first time through.  Will likely trade this in towards Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 when I'm done with it.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #148 on: September 03, 2009, 03:12:59 AM »
I'm missing two teeth in Arkham West, any ideas?

Lucretius

« Reply #149 on: September 03, 2009, 03:17:11 AM »
Apparently Amazon's "Free Super Saver Shipping" means "Whenever it gets there, it gets there."
I still don't have my copy yet.
lip

treythemovie

« Reply #150 on: September 03, 2009, 03:54:06 AM »
Apparently Amazon's "Free Super Saver Shipping" means "Whenever it gets there, it gets there."
Com'n man, you should know better than to use Free Shipping on new games at Amazon. It always takes forever because you are on the bottom of the priority list and have to wait for Prime customers and everyone who paid for shipping.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #151 on: September 03, 2009, 03:55:37 AM »
Bebpo, I know there were a couple that didn't appear until after I basically beat the game, I think in the entrance of Arkham West to East.

Some of these combat challenges are impossible.
PSP

Lucretius

« Reply #152 on: September 03, 2009, 04:08:52 AM »
Com'n man, you should know better than to use Free Shipping on new games at Amazon. It always takes forever because you are on the bottom of the priority list and have to wait for Prime customers and everyone who paid for shipping.

This is the first time I've done this for a new game.  The status now says "Shipping Soon" though so I can't even cancel the order and just go buy it at a store.  :(
lip

Bebpo

« Reply #153 on: September 03, 2009, 04:36:24 AM »
Found them.  Were in the medical facility entrance from arkham east.  Got all the Riddler's Challenges, yay.

Bebpo

« Reply #154 on: September 03, 2009, 05:21:54 AM »
Ok, finished the game and the main achievements that aren't going to be annoying to do.

Really enjoyable game.  I don't even mind the lol bioshock ending.  When I heard the ending sucked I thought it meant it was going to be a non-ending copout with TO BE CONTINUED so I was glad that at least there was an ending.

+The stealth bits were great
+The fighting was fun, though the counter system on harder fights is too messy when someone starts an attack while you are stuck in a mid attack with someone else and you don't finish fast enough to counter even with triangle pre-pressed. 
+The plot and story background was great, the patient interviews were the best part
+Graphics/Music/Controls generally good; detective mode is awesome
+Riddler Challenges were great, though the riddles were hardly riddles and more like "hey, go find the scarecrow's gas tank" lol.  Still the super metroid exploration was super fun and broke up the main game
+Main game was well paced and varied
+Good length for an HD-gen game, especially if you explore and do most of the riddler challenges
+Challenge rooms are ok fun
-You didn't really get to "fight" most of the bosses which was kinda lame.  But at least they looked cool
-Too many re-use of "throw batarang at face, dodge, counterattack" fights.  Could've used some other patterns
-Backtracking to finish up the riddle challenges was more annoying than planned.  Revisiting old areas when you have all your upgrades should be fast and painless with all kinds of shortcuts to get around quickly.  Unfortunately they are not and having to go back and forth through the entire area again kinda sucked and made post-game collecting not that fun.
-Also the riddle maps kinda took away from the riddles challenges.  Instead of exploring on your own like at the start of the game it became "go to this spot and you'll find the trophy/puzzle answer/secret message"
-The game was pretty easy, but then there was a decent amount of trial & error death parts and trial & error is always bad game design

Overall it was definitely one of the best, if not the best licensed game to date and a great game at that.  B+/A- game imo.  Can't wait to see what this dev does next.

Oh and Rocksteady must be huge Konami fans.  So many nods to Kojima and Silent Hill.  Which is fine cause both are cool in my book.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 05:24:25 AM by Bebpo »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #155 on: September 03, 2009, 02:04:02 PM »
I beat it last night so now I am a member of the cool kids club.

Hard mode only, sorry. You can sit with the regular schmoes joes though.
fat

Lucretius

« Reply #156 on: September 03, 2009, 02:34:33 PM »
I'm getting the 360 version.  I don't really care about the Joker extra stuff on PS3 and I usually prefer installing the whole game on my 360.  Any other significant differences between the versions?
lip

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #157 on: September 03, 2009, 02:47:13 PM »
Three-sixty looks better.
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #158 on: September 03, 2009, 02:47:30 PM »
demi, any points on these challenges, in regards to fighting?
PSP

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #159 on: September 03, 2009, 02:51:10 PM »
demi, any points on these challenges, in regards to fighting?

In the early levels try to get through each round without getting hit (first level round 3 is a great spot to go for Freeform achievement and 40x). Start off by shooting the batclaw and launching over one, then start prolapsing anuses. In the Extreme versions, dont worry about getting hit once or twice but if you see yourself getting your butthole flexed start over. You need the combo meter to get a good score going. Abuse the special take down (buy the 5x upgrade so it happens every 2 punches) so yo can take down the annoying distinguished mentally-challenged fellows with the shock sticks and knives.
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #160 on: September 03, 2009, 11:17:26 PM »
Ending is really anti-climactic.  Great game otherwise.

Only thing that kinda annoyed me was that there weren't any other costumes.  I upgraded my armor first and nothing changed, only the random tears throughout the game. 

I really, really hope there is a challenge level where all you do is beat-up those lepers.  Batman throttles them so hard that Altair gets stiff.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 11:22:47 PM by swaggaz »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #161 on: September 03, 2009, 11:21:32 PM »
You unlock the armor suit for the challenges but I dont think it offers any benefits
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #162 on: September 03, 2009, 11:24:50 PM »
Yeah, me and my friend were talking about how each level of armor upgrade should have visually added a new piece of armor to batman's suit and then when you max it all out you have armored batman.

You unlock the armor suit for the challenges but I dont think it offers any benefits

You take waaaaay less damage.  Or maybe it's all in my mind.  But I've never been anywhere near death in the challenge rooms when using armored and I am with non-armored.

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #163 on: September 03, 2009, 11:50:19 PM »
I'm not very far in but I'm happy to engage in hyperbole due to the amazing things it keeps throwing at me.

:elephant GOTY2009 :elephant

cool breeze

« Reply #164 on: September 04, 2009, 12:02:21 AM »
playing a bit more of the Joker levels, they're actually pretty fun.  It's way different than playing as Batman, so it's unusual at first.

yeah, I noticed that.  It's kinda ugly, especially that spine bit behind the neck.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #165 on: September 04, 2009, 12:22:14 AM »
who wants to bet the dlc is extra batman costumes like kingdom come batman, etc.

also isn't there supposed to be some free dlc coming soon, said so on the menu update ticker
sup

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #166 on: September 04, 2009, 12:41:50 AM »
The guys are probably on a break.
PSP

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #167 on: September 04, 2009, 04:09:58 AM »
$##$@$@ I can't beat the fight against the titan and henchmen after the sewer-related stuff is over.  The titan is no problem, but the fucking henchmen JUST KEEP COMING.  I can't beat the last wave of guys that comes after the titan is down or about to be down.  So frustrating. 
ど助平

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #168 on: September 04, 2009, 04:49:32 AM »
Today I went to Costco to buy a house plant and I wound up buying Batman too

The lady behind the counter was like "Okay...one plant...and one Batman" and then she looked at me funny. "That's kind of a weird combination."

So I replied "No weirder than the guy in front of me, he bought 2 pairs of Levi's and some raw chicken, he's totally going to go home and stuff his pants with meat"

Then I realized I'm really good at killing conversations so I went home and played Batman (and watered my plant)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #169 on: September 04, 2009, 05:00:41 AM »
:lol

i immediately thought:

vjj

cool breeze

« Reply #170 on: September 04, 2009, 09:45:47 AM »
$##$@$@ I can't beat the fight against the titan and henchmen after the sewer-related stuff is over.  The titan is no problem, but the fucking henchmen JUST KEEP COMING.  I can't beat the last wave of guys that comes after the titan is down or about to be down.  So frustrating. 

dodge a lot, only focus on the titan, then wrangle him and let him attack the fodder for you.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #171 on: September 04, 2009, 02:07:07 PM »

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #172 on: September 04, 2009, 03:39:54 PM »
I was going to mention Poison Ivy but then I was like "Hmmm this girl is probably not a follower of Batman lore." That's why I turned the conversation to pants full of meat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #173 on: September 04, 2009, 10:25:26 PM »
I was going to mention Poison Ivy but then I was like "Hmmm this girl is probably not a follower of Batman lore." That's why I turned the conversation to pants full of meat

Well, I see where you were trying to lead the conversation. Too bad you got the ball, then fumbled.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #174 on: September 14, 2009, 07:03:50 PM »
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #175 on: September 14, 2009, 08:13:37 PM »
At least make more characters playable in these challenge maps.
ど助平

« Reply #176 on: September 14, 2009, 08:15:29 PM »
Today I went to Costco to buy a house plant and I wound up buying Batman too

The lady behind the counter was like "Okay...one plant...and one Batman" and then she looked at me funny. "That's kind of a weird combination."

So I replied "No weirder than the guy in front of me, he bought 2 pairs of Levi's and some raw chicken, he's totally going to go home and stuff his pants with meat"

Then I realized I'm really good at killing conversations so I went home and played Batman (and watered my plant)

I told this story to my wife last night while lying in bed watching Mad Men. She laughed so hard she couldn't breath.

:rock
野球

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #177 on: September 14, 2009, 09:23:58 PM »
The free DLC sounds OK I guess.  It'll give a bit more mileage out of the game at least.

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #178 on: September 15, 2009, 12:14:02 PM »
So the PC version is out today, and I can go down to the store and buy a copy...why then does the game not unlock for SIX MORE HOURS on Steam? WTF?
CBG

cool breeze

« Reply #179 on: September 15, 2009, 12:18:51 PM »
is there a timer for it?

I have a code I got with my GTX 275 to get it on the Nvidia site.  It said this week, didn't know it was today.