Author Topic: Bioshock Arkham Asylum  (Read 16858 times)

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
Re: Bioshock Arkham Asylum
« Reply #180 on: September 15, 2009, 12:22:36 PM »
It's in stores today. You can run down to Gamestop and pick up a copy. But on Steam it says it won't unlock for SIX more hours.

RE5 unlocks in two hours.
CBG

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #181 on: September 15, 2009, 12:29:16 PM »
Even worse is that it's available on Direct2Drive right now. The marketing chicks at IGN must've given someone at Eidos a blowjob for the exclusive.
CBG

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #182 on: September 15, 2009, 12:32:37 PM »
TICK TOCK BATMAN

ManaByte

« Reply #183 on: September 15, 2009, 03:23:20 PM »
Steam unlocked, installing now.

SUPERIOR EDITION FTW
CBG

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #184 on: September 15, 2009, 03:51:10 PM »
I wish I'd waited for the PC ver. The nVidia physics stuff looks mad sexy

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #185 on: September 15, 2009, 04:27:15 PM »
I wish I'd waited for the PC ver. The nVidia physics stuff looks mad sexy

It was the same way with Mirror's Edge. It's not some huge game changer, but seeing cloth rip and tear after being shot was OMG.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: September 17, 2009, 04:06:29 PM »
Finally got to play some Arkham Asylum on the Pee-Cee. Pretty much, SantaC is crazy, this game is so awesome. Of course, it's even better if you're a fan of Batman and the Batman universe, but that doesn't change the fact that this game is very solidly built and is a cool and moody action game. One thing that I really like about this is how hard it works to make you actually FEEL like you're Batman, instead of just some guys that runs around and beats up criminals all the time and just happens to LOOK like Batman. Lovin' this game so far.
dog

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #187 on: September 17, 2009, 05:59:02 PM »
I was never interested in Batman before. I thought the movies sucked. But this game is so awesome. The characters are so intruiging and interesting.
But I think I'm almost at the finish.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
next mission is to go to the Joker party
[close]

The game is way too short imo. And there's a lot of backtracking. But it's still very good.
I still haven't done any of the challenges, though..

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #188 on: September 18, 2009, 01:25:11 AM »
^Be sure to beat up the henchmen that are welcoming you to the party.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #189 on: September 18, 2009, 01:41:16 AM »
^Be sure to beat up the henchmen that are welcoming you to the party.

Batman. So antisocial.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: September 18, 2009, 04:55:14 AM »
Finally beat the game tonight.  Playing on hard the first time through really didn't prove to be all that difficult until this one particular fight towards the end.  I agree with Eel O' Brian that the game trails off at the end. 

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everything post-Croc was just not all that great.  Most of the last battles being nothing but titan/thug battles was annoying; I'm just not a fan of the fighting system in the game.  More than anything else, I kept finding the basic thugs to be the biggest problems, not the bosses/titans themselves.  This one particular titan/thug battle right before Poison Ivy drove me nuts and I didn't play the game for over a week.  I finally went back to the game tonight and cleared that part...that was probably the highlight of the game for me.   :lol  Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment, but I also did the optional fight against the 20 "party" thugs before the Joker stuff, but after that previous battle, it felt like a snap.  The Joker stuff essentially just being several rounds of titan/thug battles was a let down, and the ending was a big nothing.
[close]

Not going to bother getting the rest of the Riddler challenges, but I might check out some of the challenge levels.  This game was quite good overall, but I have no desire to replay it again, so it's getting traded in towards the onslaught of holiday season games.
ど助平

Agent Whiskers

« Reply #191 on: September 18, 2009, 10:02:10 PM »
Platinumized! :punch

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #192 on: September 19, 2009, 07:46:21 PM »
Not going to bother getting the rest of the Riddler challenges, but I might check out some of the challenge levels.  This game was quite good overall, but I have no desire to replay it again, so it's getting traded in towards the onslaught of holiday season games.
The riddler challenges were actually funner than the boss fights.  They're essentially puzzle/platforming challenges.

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #193 on: September 19, 2009, 10:19:49 PM »
I just got that radio wave thingy that disables the locked gates.  I thought you would just press A and be done, but this game never stops serving up the insanely awesome.

:bow

Beezy

« Reply #194 on: September 19, 2009, 10:42:24 PM »
I just got that radio wave thingy that disables the locked gates.  I thought you would just press A and be done, but this game never stops serving up the insanely awesome.

:bow
Just started playing today and I'm at the same part. This game is so good. I don't remember the last time I played anything for 5-6 hours nonstop.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #195 on: September 20, 2009, 01:59:45 AM »
watching my big bro playing it, shit is mad awesome.

can't wait to start my own gameplay on hard.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #196 on: September 20, 2009, 02:06:52 AM »
Started the PS3 version tonight.  got about 20 minutes in before people dragged me out, just when I was getting ready to settle in for a few hours.  argh!  gonna play a whole lot tomorrow.

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #197 on: September 20, 2009, 02:31:30 AM »
So, it's pretty good then? The Joker thing, is it worth getting the PS3 version for?

Bebpo

« Reply #198 on: September 20, 2009, 02:40:34 AM »
No, the joker stages are batman challenge stages but you play as a worse character (joker).

Just get whatever version you want. 

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #199 on: September 20, 2009, 02:44:57 AM »
So, it's pretty good then? The Joker thing, is it worth getting the PS3 version for?

Try the PC demo first? 

Since I remember you just having a 320MB 8800 GTS or something like that, I doubt it'd run better than the PS3 version but it's worth a check. 

Any Geforce 8 card or above will support the exclusive PhysX effects.  They do have a detrimental effect on framerate if you don't have a card dedicated to just PhysX.  However, you can adjust how strong the PhysX effects are. 

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #200 on: September 20, 2009, 02:46:06 AM »
I've actually downgraded to a laptop with a 9600GT in it.  :bawl

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #201 on: September 20, 2009, 03:05:21 AM »
A quick glance at that card's specs shows that it's not that bad.  You could probably get 30fps at medium graphical settings with some PhysX.  The PC demo is worth checking out if you don't mind the hassle of upgrading drivers.  But if I had to guess, I'd say that you'll be better off with the PS3 version. 

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #202 on: September 20, 2009, 03:33:11 AM »

glancing around, it doesn't seem like there's any noticeable difference in quality between the two versions.  I got the PS3 one because that was the one they had used at gamestop.  Haven't tried the joker stuff yet.   

Just got out of the first section and into the garden area.  Pretty decent so far. nothing mind blowing and I wish there was more combat...first area seemed sparse.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #203 on: September 21, 2009, 12:23:27 AM »
OMFG do the joker PA announcements ever stop???!!!!   

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #204 on: September 21, 2009, 12:36:35 AM »
OMFG do the joker PA announcements ever stop???!!!!   

"Paging Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard."

:lol
dog

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #205 on: September 21, 2009, 12:42:11 AM »
i want all his talking in a mp3 file.

his voice is sex.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #206 on: September 21, 2009, 01:16:11 AM »
I love the announcements but there are so many and they start to repeat themselves quickly...

Bebpo

« Reply #207 on: September 21, 2009, 02:11:53 AM »
No, I agree with MCD: Mark Hamill's Joker talk is amazing and the best part of the game for sure.  Could never tire of it personally.

Beezy

« Reply #208 on: September 21, 2009, 02:40:06 AM »
$##$@$@ I can't beat the fight against the titan and henchmen after the sewer-related stuff is over.  The titan is no problem, but the fucking henchmen JUST KEEP COMING.  I can't beat the last wave of guys that comes after the titan is down or about to be down.  So frustrating. 
I got stuck on the same part today. I have no idea how many times I died, but it took me like 2-3 hours in total. Maybe I should have played on normal. :(

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #209 on: September 21, 2009, 02:48:20 AM »
Just run in a circle, Beezy. Those parts look hard but just run around and pepper the Titan / have him run into the wall, and he'll go down.
fat

Beezy

« Reply #210 on: September 21, 2009, 03:42:16 AM »
Like lyte said, the titan wasn't the problem. It was the never ending henchmen. I got through it by leaving the titan with a bit of energy so that he could beat the shit out of the final swarm. Then I took him out.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #211 on: September 21, 2009, 03:42:58 AM »
Um... I hope you enjoy the combat challenges then :lol

Henchmen are CAKE
fat

G The Resurrected

« Reply #212 on: September 21, 2009, 05:04:49 AM »
man some of these challenges are a bitch.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #213 on: September 21, 2009, 05:20:29 AM »
Like lyte said, the titan wasn't the problem. It was the never ending henchmen. I got through it by leaving the titan with a bit of energy so that he could beat the shit out of the final swarm. Then I took him out.

This was the only fight where the henchmen gave me so much trouble.   :lol  I don't know what it was, but it did make the final fights easy as shit in comparison.
ど助平

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #214 on: September 21, 2009, 10:25:09 AM »
No, I agree with MCD: Mark Hamill's Joker talk is amazing and the best part of the game for sure.  Could never tire of it personally.

great, so this is why it's goty...because everyone is obsessed with batman. 

it's a fun game, but in the first two hours, there still isn't anything goty about it. 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #215 on: September 21, 2009, 10:29:19 AM »

great, so this is why it's goty...because everyone is obsessed with batman. 

it's a fun game, but in the first two hours, there still isn't anything goty about it. 

It's GOTY because it's a totally awesome action game, but also because it's a totally awesome Batman Simulator.
dog

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #216 on: September 21, 2009, 10:30:42 AM »
but the action isn't nearly as good as Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2.  The enemies barely fight back.  If it wasn't batman, it wouldn't get this kind of praise.  aka fanboys going crazy.

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #217 on: September 21, 2009, 11:02:31 AM »
You can probably play Batman without being touched once. The counter button makes the game so easy to play. And the ending is a huge anti-climax.

But I still loved the game.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #218 on: September 21, 2009, 11:13:10 AM »
The environments are pretty kick ass

Bebpo

« Reply #219 on: September 21, 2009, 01:38:04 PM »
but the action isn't nearly as good as Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2.  The enemies barely fight back.  If it wasn't batman, it wouldn't get this kind of praise.  aka fanboys going crazy.

It's not really the same kind of game as Ninja Gaiden at all.  It's more like a 3D Symphony of the Night.  The action is never difficult, it's about exploring and shit.

That doesn't really work either because SoTN had a variety of enemies where you have to learn their patterns and dodge -> kill them.  Plus all the bosses with their boss patterns.  Plus you could die and there was combat challenge.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #220 on: September 21, 2009, 03:38:23 PM »

It's not really the same kind of game as Ninja Gaiden at all.  It's more like a 3D Symphony of the Night.  The action is never difficult, it's about exploring and shit.

It's not like a Metroidvania.  There is no exploration outside of the the Riddler challenges; the main game essentially holds your hand and points you in the right direction the entire way through.  You also get thrust into stealth or combat rooms that you cannot leave until you clear.
ど助平

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #221 on: September 21, 2009, 04:02:29 PM »
The game is pretty much like Soul Reaver. Wich is a 3d metroidvania.

Soul Reaver is 775769373656 times better than Batman, though...

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #222 on: September 21, 2009, 05:31:37 PM »
I'd say it's more of a Super Mario SunShockMetroidVaniaSteinCreedCellSolid.
©@©™

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #223 on: September 21, 2009, 07:11:49 PM »
I'm gonna go with Bioshock with the FPS torn out and a light action engine thrown in, with a pre-MGS1 stealth engine where the enemies lose you in 5 seconds or less. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #224 on: September 21, 2009, 07:47:06 PM »
It's not like a Metroidvania.  There is no exploration outside of the the Riddler challenges; the main game essentially holds your hand and points you in the right direction the entire way through.  You also get thrust into stealth or combat rooms that you cannot leave until you clear.

Would you argue it's more like a Metroidvania or more like a Ninja Gaiden?  Because please carefully note, I didn't say it was exactly like a Castlevania, only more like one than a Ninja Gaiden game.

It's pretty clear the game isn't meant to go after the masochistic action gamers.  If you got that impression, it's unfortunate.

I think I'd have to say the level progression is more like Ninja Gaiden, but certainly not the game play.  Batman AA reminded me of a Metal Gear or Splinter Cell-style stealth game, but with a heavy beat-em-up element added in when encountering thugs.  The difference is that it's more linear in how you take enemies out; most of the time, it's either stealth (and ONLY stealth) or brawling (and ONLY brawling).

Metroidvania games have a heavy emphasis on exploration.  This game does not.
ど助平

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #225 on: September 21, 2009, 08:12:46 PM »
This game has bits from all sorts of genres, and the genius of it is that it comes together in an awesome experience rather than falling in a heap.

The only genre it fits into neatly is GOTY.

cool breeze

« Reply #226 on: September 21, 2009, 08:21:21 PM »
The game is pretty much like Soul Reaver. Wich is a 3d metroidvania.

Soul Reaver is 775769373656 times better than Batman, though...

Soul Reaver is a good comparison.  Metroid and Castlevania games get you to go back and explore older area, but Batman AA and Soul Reaver are more about showing you things you can't quite reach until you get an upgrade.

Bebpo

« Reply #227 on: September 21, 2009, 09:58:36 PM »

Would you argue it's more like a Metroidvania or more like a Ninja Gaiden?  Because please carefully note, I didn't say it was exactly like a Castlevania, only more like one than a Ninja Gaiden game.

It's pretty clear the game isn't meant to go after the masochistic action gamers.  If you got that impression, it's unfortunate.

I think I'd have to say the level progression is more like Ninja Gaiden, but certainly not the game play.  Batman AA reminded me of a Metal Gear or Splinter Cell-style stealth game, but with a heavy beat-em-up element added in when encountering thugs.  The difference is that it's more linear in how you take enemies out; most of the time, it's either stealth (and ONLY stealth) or brawling (and ONLY brawling).

Metroidvania games have a heavy emphasis on exploration.  This game does not.

That's only cause you didn't do the damn riddler challenges!  That is where the whole metroidvania aspect comes into play.  Those of us who did them got excited when getting a new ability because that meant we could reach all those new areas we saw in older locations.

Beezy

« Reply #228 on: September 22, 2009, 04:01:14 AM »
Beat it about an hour ago. Can't wait for the sequel. :hyper

I'm gonna mess around with the challenges. Dunno if I'll bother with the Riddler stuff though...

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #229 on: September 22, 2009, 04:36:22 AM »
Using the new abilities to get all the Riddler challenges is pretty fun.
PSP

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #230 on: September 22, 2009, 04:42:07 AM »
especially when doing it with a friend or in my case, my bro.

cool breeze

« Reply #231 on: September 22, 2009, 11:04:57 AM »
If that sega leak is true, then there might be a Batman game for PSP coming.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #232 on: September 22, 2009, 09:57:16 PM »
Damn, Gamestop gave me $37.50 in trade-in credit for this!   :o  Pretty good considering I paid $47 for it.

That's only cause you didn't do the damn riddler challenges!  That is where the whole metroidvania aspect comes into play.  Those of us who did them got excited when getting a new ability because that meant we could reach all those new areas we saw in older locations.

I already said that previously.  But that's completely optional and not a part of the game progression.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #233 on: September 22, 2009, 10:02:52 PM »
Damn, Gamestop gave me $37.50 in trade-in credit for this!   :o  Pretty good considering I paid $47 for it.

I already said that previously.  But that's completely optional and not a part of the game progression.

So it's optionally a metroidvania game and you choose not to play that part of it and then it was just a bioshockgaiden to you.

I think we have it settled.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #234 on: September 23, 2009, 12:25:26 AM »
I don't see why this is so difficult.  Metroidvania games' main focus is the exploration element and finding new abilities to progress further.  Batman's is not, and you are given everything you need to progress further.  Nothing crucial needs to be found.

Do Batman Arkham Asylum and Shadow Complex seem similar to you?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 12:27:46 AM by the lyte edge »
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #235 on: September 23, 2009, 12:28:48 AM »
Gentlemen, I believe we can all agree that the only pertinent question is whether or not Batman can beat up Superman, amirite?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #236 on: September 23, 2009, 12:33:38 AM »
Gentlemen, I believe we can all agree that the only pertinent question is whether or not Batman can beat up Superman, amirite?

He can if he is wearing the proper armor, plugged into and electrical system, and/or using Kryptonite!  Supe's bitch-ass'll go down fast.  Batman can be cunning and ruthless, and will exploit his enemy's weakness.  Superman is too goody two shoes for that. 

Although since Bruce Wayne is currently "dead," Superman wins by default.   :-\
ど助平

cool breeze

« Reply #237 on: September 23, 2009, 12:37:58 AM »

In Hush, Batman pretty much says that Superman could destroy him if he didn't restrain himself.  But even under mind control, Superman still manages to hold off doing anything fatal to others.  I mean, even though Batman had a bunch of kryptonite, Superman still has a lot of ways to fight back before the effects fully impact him.

Basically, if someone had Superman's abilities but was a giant prick, Batman would be fucked.  But as it is, Batman can beat Superman cuz Bats is a badass who is willing to hurt a friend.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #238 on: September 23, 2009, 12:52:55 AM »
The real answer to that question is "depends on who's writing it."   ;)

Heyguyz howzabout SUPERMAN VS. GOKU (SSJ LEVEL 29023209209329039203)?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!1111  :hyper 
ど助平

« Reply #239 on: September 26, 2009, 07:29:39 PM »
I bought a copy of Arkham Asylum off a seller on Half.com 15 days ago, and it's still not here. I'm starting to think I got ripped off.  :maf

I can't even ask the seller about it until October 2nd, awesome. :maf
野球