Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2046977 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #17941 on: September 07, 2020, 07:19:58 PM »
WTF  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #17942 on: September 07, 2020, 07:40:42 PM »
 :brazilcry :noooo
WDW

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17945 on: September 08, 2020, 12:57:49 AM »
Watched the first 3 eps. of Raised by Wolves.
Awful kid actors (especially the main one) but otherwise it's a fun watch, if you're into those awkward Ridley Scott androids ( i am).
Also i thought Travis Fimmel was doing a thing when being Ragnar, but he apparently just talks weird all the time.  :doge

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #17946 on: September 08, 2020, 12:51:50 PM »
Having watched Umbrella Academy and started The Boys S2 in relatively quick succession, I'm enjoying obviously carefully curated licenced soundtracks being a thing now for cape media.

Did GOTG start this trend that I'm happy to see continue?

Bebpo

« Reply #17947 on: September 09, 2020, 03:54:21 AM »
Caught up on Lovecraft Country. Felt like it took a while to find it's groove tonally, but ep4 seemed to click. Someone compared it to an adult The Goonies in racist America, and that seems about right. Enjoying it.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #17948 on: September 09, 2020, 04:08:04 AM »
Caught up on Lovecraft Country. Felt like it took a while to find it's groove tonally, but ep4 seemed to click. Someone compared it to an adult The Goonies in racist America, and that seems about right. Enjoying it.
been thinking about watching this and I lol'd, something about "goonies in racist america" followed by "enjoying it." :lol
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 05:51:10 AM by filler »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17949 on: September 09, 2020, 06:26:42 AM »

I listen to the audiobook sometime last year. I very much enjoyed it. I’m not in a rush to see the TV show because the reviews are mixed.

Bebpo

« Reply #17950 on: September 09, 2020, 07:26:20 PM »

I listen to the audiobook sometime last year. I very much enjoyed it. I’m not in a rush to see the TV show because the reviews are mixed.

Yeah, everyone I know who read the book is fairly meh on this adaptation. And as a Ice & Fire fan I get what that's like.

But I like the cast and it's entertaining so I'll stick with the show and maybe pick up the book afterwards.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17951 on: September 10, 2020, 03:20:53 AM »
That is almost always the better order of events.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17952 on: September 11, 2020, 11:54:20 AM »
I only learned that Natives don't turn into Wendingos last year.  Thanks X-files. 

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17953 on: September 12, 2020, 06:17:35 PM »
5 eps. into Raised By Wolves, my opinion pretty much hasn't changed: Kill off that main kid actor (or just replace the actor, we'll all look the other way) pls.
Other than that, it's the most fun i've had with a sci fi show since The Expanse, i like the fantasy vibes, that rapist prisoner is straight out of a From Soft game or Berserk.
Also nice trippy porking scene, but the "have sex with bra on" in the year of Sol, 2020, is so fucking silly.  Let them nipples out, you ain't gonna catch on fire.  ::)

The Boys S2 is also pretty fun, still think the guy playing Hughie(or maybe how they wrote the character) makes him unbearable though.
And to continue my horny comment streak: too bad we didn't see Homelander suck his own dick, in that one scene.
Also, isn't it a bit jarring to have this virulent racist character, but then they use pretty tame PC terms whenever they're killing off minorities?  Feels like a white kid rapping along, and going into whisper mode every time the n-word comes up.  :lol

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #17954 on: September 12, 2020, 06:34:03 PM »
The Boys S2 is also pretty fun, still think the guy playing Hughie(or maybe how they wrote the character) makes him unbearable though.
And to continue my horny comment streak: too bad we didn't see Homelander suck his own dick, in that one scene.
Also, isn't it a bit jarring to have this virulent racist character, but then they use pretty tame PC terms whenever they're killing off minorities?  Feels like a white kid rapping along, and going into whisper mode every time the n-word comes up.  :lol

I dunno how much they're going to veer away from the comics, because its still a faaaaaaiiiiirly faithful adaptation at the moment, and playing up Black Noir more as an actual assassin this season is either going for a fake out, or going to stay close to who he is and what his purpose is, but if they're going to stick with the same story beats it's kind of essential to play up the tension between Hughie and Butcher

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #17955 on: September 13, 2020, 09:04:05 AM »
The Boys is bad, Preacher was bad, The Walking Dead was bad, Umbrella Academy was bad, Watchmen was bad.

Misfits was good

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17956 on: September 13, 2020, 09:28:57 AM »
The Boys is bad, Preacher was bad, The Walking Dead was bad, Umbrella Academy was bad, Watchmen was bad.

Misfits was good
Misfits past the couple of first seasons was absolute dogshit, my dude.
That Nazi what if episode.  :neogaf

Bebpo

« Reply #17957 on: September 13, 2020, 12:51:05 PM »
5 eps. into Raised By Wolves, my opinion pretty much hasn't changed: Kill off that main kid actor (or just replace the actor, we'll all look the other way) pls.
Other than that, it's the most fun i've had with a sci fi show since The Expanse, i like the fantasy vibes, that rapist prisoner is straight out of a From Soft game or Berserk.
Also nice trippy porking scene, but the "have sex with bra on" in the year of Sol, 2020, is so fucking silly.  Let them nipples out, you ain't gonna catch on fire.  ::)

I'm tempted to watch this just to hate watch/dumb watch it since I've got HBO right now and it's big budget flashy sci-fi which is up my alley. I just fucking hate old senile Ridley Scott who makes dumber than dumb shit these days. He's Michael Bay except somehow his movies are less entertaining than Bay.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17958 on: September 13, 2020, 01:52:15 PM »

I'm tempted to watch this just to hate watch/dumb watch it since I've got HBO right now and it's big budget flashy sci-fi which is up my alley. I just fucking hate old senile Ridley Scott who makes dumber than dumb shit these days. He's Michael Bay except somehow his movies are less entertaining than Bay.
I think this is absolute blasphemy, but if you hate Scott, this has many of his elements in it (which is why i like it).
Although compared to his Alien universe, this is a bit more on the Space Opera side of things.

EDIT: Like, even if you hate Prometheus/Covenant, you mean to tell me 6 Underground is better (on any level) than The Martian?  ::)

Bebpo

« Reply #17959 on: September 13, 2020, 03:15:28 PM »
The Martian had a good book to go off of.

I like Ridley Scott until he went looney. His stuff prior to about 10 years ago was all great, but by all accounts the guy has lost his marbles and the quality of his work the last few films seems to show that. It's all just gotten dumb & pretentious.

And yeah I think Prometheus/Covenant are two of the worst sci-fi films in the last two decades. I'd take Bay's Armaggedon or even maybe the first Transformers movies over them any day.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17960 on: September 13, 2020, 05:51:41 PM »
I don't think that matters that much (the book material i mean).
He's never been a story heavy director, Blade Runner is a detective movie where there is no mystery, and the protagonist has nothing to do for 2 hours, it's basically all standing on visuals and his ability to sell a mood, a world.
Ability that he still possesses, as seen in Prometheus and Covenant (who most people criticize for plot holes and use of symbolism).
The man spent half of his career directing commercials, where the only concern is to sell strong, striking images, in a matter of seconds; that's been the strength of his movies since the beginning.

I don't understand this myth of him "going senile" you always read, since his latest movies shine where his older ones always have, the visual compartment.

As for him being pretentious, this is a word that lost most of its meaning, but he mostly seems to be obsessed with a couple of themes he returns to, over and over (and does so in Raised By Wolves, too) of religion, spiritualism and science.
And he does so in the way he's always known how, and always done: With strong, in your face imagery (like a 20 seconds commercial!).

Not even saying Prometheus and Covenant (which i assume are the reason for this myth) are perfect movies, far from it, they are littered with nonsensical plot holes, stiff dialogue and generally some narrative structural messes, but the core of what made his cinema great in the past, is still there.

He's never been the best director ever, but i think people completely overblow his supposed decline.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17961 on: September 16, 2020, 08:37:21 AM »
Seaason 1 of Dragon Prince - this is actually pretty good but has some spots with some pretty bad story writting.  The characters are really fun.  Overall it feels like a clunky Avatar. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17962 on: September 16, 2020, 05:27:17 PM »
If you like Avatar, you'd probably like Dragon Prince. The second and third season are better than the first.  Thik the biggest issue is it tries to tell too much story in the episodes it has.  Also the blind pirate is one of my favorite tertiary characters in a long time. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17963 on: September 18, 2020, 10:22:09 AM »
New She-Hulk is from Saskatchewan. 

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17964 on: September 18, 2020, 11:49:36 AM »
New She-Hulk is from Saskatchewan.
Maslany is godtier, watch Orphan Black and Ginger Snaps 2, for proof.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #17965 on: September 18, 2020, 02:04:33 PM »
based on orphan black I'd really like to see some discernible character difference between jen walters / she hulk as discrete personalities.

I'd also like to see it stick to its origins and basically be boston legal with capes, but thats probably an ask too much

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17966 on: September 20, 2020, 10:20:06 PM »

:whoo

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.

Nuitangg

« Reply #17968 on: September 23, 2020, 03:31:51 PM »
Little lttp on Euphoria.  :shaq

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #17969 on: September 27, 2020, 03:22:31 AM »
Watched Dragon's Dogma on Netflix. not sure what I was expecting, but was pretty bad. 7 episodes, and even though episode 6 was 18mins, it still dragged. animation was pretty awful - the dragon, only the titular character was very ordinary.

can't wait for season 2 /s

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17970 on: September 27, 2020, 06:12:30 AM »
It was a special kind of shit, especially how they forced the whole rebirth angle from the game, all in the last episode.  :lol
How does a project like that even take form? It's actively gonna push people away from the series, while spoilering the main plot twist from the game, but done a 10 times worse.
How can you make a 7 episodes TV show of an open world game, largely based on fetch quests, and still have a worse narrative?

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #17971 on: September 27, 2020, 07:13:27 AM »
lol you’re not joking this is shit even by anime standards, and doesn’t even have any degeneracy to :girlaff at
(ice)

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #17972 on: September 27, 2020, 09:54:18 AM »

From cinematic mastermind Drake

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I like the female body as much as the next red-blooded American man, but Euphoria just seems boring as shit.
[close]

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #17973 on: September 27, 2020, 04:48:02 PM »
(N)Utopia is pretty good... I guess? But still not as good as the OG version on multiple different levels, and also despite having more and longer episodes, seems to rush a whole bunch of shit last minute.

The cinematography is very "Fincheresque", I suppose deliberately, but even when it seems to be trying to go for one of those OG version brightly coloured landscapes still comes off as desaturated.

e: the "THIS IS NOT BASED ON REAL THINGS!" warning at the start of every episode sort of underlines the spectacularly bad timing of its release, in an actual pandemic where there are actual mental people attaching all sorts of conspiracy theories to that too.

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #17974 on: October 03, 2020, 02:50:38 AM »
started watching The Head... 2 episodes down, 4 to go... it's suitably obtuse

watched War of the Worlds pretty annoying, especially that kid
born from incest
[close]
, and the second series reveal. c'mon guys, we all know how war of the worlds ends, just do it already

Bebpo

« Reply #17975 on: October 03, 2020, 03:49:20 AM »

I checked this out on a whim after the Emmy talk. Halfway through now and some eps (1 & 4) are so well directed, great cinematography and Zendaya kills it with the acting. Whereas other eps are kinda hit & miss. By ep3 I was thinking of dropping it, but ep4 at the fair mixing all the character stories in one spot was really well done.

Some of the characters and their subplots are kinda weak, but the core one with the main is real good.

Also the drug dealer brothers are great.

This show also has the most penis I've seen in anything mainstream in a long time.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17976 on: October 03, 2020, 06:38:23 AM »
Raised By Wolves kind of lost me on the last episode, but i want to stick around if they do go for a second season, it's still one of the sci fi shows i've enjoyed the most since Expanse.
Dunno why they rush through character development like they've got a train to catch, but the general vibe/production makes up for it (much like Scott's movies  :lol).
If you do hate Scott shit in Prometheus/Covenant though, this is basically more of that. (which is why i like it)

The Boys keeps being kind of alright, as long as you take it as shlock.
Everytime it slows down trying to have a "moment", you realize how limited these writers really are.
As long as they keep exploding heads and having super penises on screen, they'll be fine, though.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17977 on: October 03, 2020, 06:44:57 PM »
RBW already approved for another season.

Nuitangg

« Reply #17978 on: October 04, 2020, 03:13:49 PM »

I checked this out on a whim after the Emmy talk. Halfway through now and some eps (1 & 4) are so well directed, great cinematography and Zendaya kills it with the acting. Whereas other eps are kinda hit & miss. By ep3 I was thinking of dropping it, but ep4 at the fair mixing all the character stories in one spot was really well done.

Some of the characters and their subplots are kinda weak, but the core one with the main is real good.

Also the drug dealer brothers are great.

This show also has the most penis I've seen in anything mainstream in a long time.

Soundtrack is pretty great and yes a lot of dicks.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #17979 on: October 05, 2020, 08:22:42 AM »
Catch-up post for the Last few months.

Watched all 3 seasons of Norsemen Really liked it. The tone of it is wonderfully dark and monty python-esque.

Watched the first season of Ted Lasso Much better than I expected as I kind of expected trash. But its genuinely charming for a pretty traditional sitcom format show.

Watched the first season of The Boys which was darn good and that's pretty good praise for me as someone who is over nearly all super hero shit. The simple twist of the formula is enough to give it life. That being said, I'm halfway through Season 2, and I'm not sure I'm enjoying that season as much.

Watching Season 3 of Twin Peaks which I never saw when it debuted a couple of years ago. I dig it,but I pretty much dig all Lynch so that's not surprising. I love the slow weird pacing of the whole thing.

I think that's pretty much all I can remember.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17980 on: October 06, 2020, 01:33:02 AM »
Enjoying Veronica Mars on Amazon Prime Japan. This show should not have been canceled if Mentalist and Elementary each got over a half dozen seasons. Picked up the kickstarted movie sequel.

Am unsure if I should spend any hope on season 4, produced for HULU.

Borealis

« Reply #17981 on: October 06, 2020, 04:17:03 AM »
Just started watching Farscape, I'm digging it. I understand Jim Hensen's biz being the only ones who do this and the time expense, but wish more shows made use of puppets for characters.

Are Babylon Five and BSG worthwhile?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #17982 on: October 06, 2020, 07:22:58 AM »

Yes to both, certainly for the first few seasons at least, although both sort of limp along to an unsatisfactory (for different reasons) ending.

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #17983 on: October 06, 2020, 08:01:07 AM »

Yes to both, certainly for the first few seasons at least, although both sort of limp along to an unsatisfactory (for different reasons) ending.
concur 100%... the journeys are great, just don't stick the landing

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #17984 on: October 06, 2020, 06:15:40 PM »
They both are great.

Without spoiling just know that the first season of Babylon 5 is a slog but the setup is needed.

And BSG starts great. Cools later unfortunately. But is still worth it for the first two season alone.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #17985 on: October 06, 2020, 06:29:16 PM »
I liked all of BSG but I was also a very forgiving fan.
每天生气

Tuckers Law

« Reply #17986 on: October 06, 2020, 08:09:12 PM »
I love Farscape.  The story-writing is fantastic, probably my overall favorite long-form Scifi show.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17987 on: October 09, 2020, 05:09:14 PM »
The Boys S2 finale: Wasn't bad, but the writers really come off as simpletons, in many key moments, like that final moment of HL nullifies his character arc so far? For another cheap laugh? IDGI.
Also, the action is consistently shit, unfortunately, that 3 on 1 fight was embarrassing.
Thank God all they have to do with Homelander, is have him stand still and shoot lasers that the CGI people will take care of, and the special effects are, on the other hand, really great for a tv show.
Anyway, i'm being critical, but i had fun, it's a dumb show, it falls apart the more you think about it, but it still works as a comedy.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #17988 on: October 09, 2020, 11:33:32 PM »
Will Killing Eve redeem itself in S3? I await its arrival on Hulu to find out.
每天生气

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #17989 on: October 10, 2020, 07:24:30 AM »
The Boys S2 finale: Wasn't bad, but the writers really come off as simpletons, in many key moments, like that final moment of HL nullifies his character arc so far? For another cheap laugh? IDGI.
Also, the action is consistently shit, unfortunately, that 3 on 1 fight was embarrassing.
Thank God all they have to do with Homelander, is have him stand still and shoot lasers that the CGI people will take care of, and the special effects are, on the other hand, really great for a tv show.
Anyway, i'm being critical, but i had fun, it's a dumb show, it falls apart the more you think about it, but it still works as a comedy.

While I'm a fan of the original comics, I am enjoying the tweaks they're making to the TV show, but ultimately its based on an Ennis property and that kind of tonal undercutting swerve from the sublime to the ridiculous (or more accurately I guess, from the serious to the scatological) is a recurring theme because ultimately the entire concept of 'super heroes' is fundamentally silly.

The "girls git 'er dun" scene was a little too "have your cake and eat it" - the original in series catchphrase was mocking corporate wokeness (and things like that scene in Avengers Endgame), but then they played it straight for the exact same reasons they were earlier mocking it for a "look! Women can be capable!" moment, when Stormfront had already been well established as a credible threat, and both Starlight and The Female have also both shown themselves as tough as hell throughout the series.
Although I guess it gave Medb a nice character moment and she doesn't get that much screentime doing super things.
Now they've established the cost per shot of stable compound v and the reluctance of the authorities to start giving it out to police and military, but also the heightened fear of supervillains, I can see giving the boys their shots and having them as a plausible deniability taskforce would help with the action sequences, because they'll be a little more plausibly robust and can get a few physical licks in.

Very very end of S2 spoiler:
I'd twigged the AoC of Anti-supes as a bad guy from their first showing, but then was surprised they'd played it straight and it was an honest congresswoman looking out for her voters, until the reveal she was what I thought, just even worse than I'd thought. Even though her being headexplodress apparently needing line of sight makes previous head exploding incidents make less sense, because nobody is going to notice a high profile congresswoman was at all of these sites? Although I guess its still comic book logic where superman puts on some glasses and his close friends don't recognise him anymore. I guess she's being fairly clearly setup as 'the big bad' for next season though.
[close]

After hearing the production company actually made a full on BBC porno as background material for this season, I'm curious where they're heading next season, because they clearly DNGAF knowing they're streaming only, and I guess that puts all sorts of comics stuff that I just assumed was Too Hot For TV back on the table

Bebpo

« Reply #17990 on: October 13, 2020, 03:33:16 AM »
Man, Euphoria ep5 was so well directed. When this show's at its highs it feels like one of the best shows I've seen in years. Great visuals, great music, good acting, complex characters.

Otoh, Lovecraft Country is so bad its just boring at this point. Haven't watched the latest ep yet, will just wait for the finale and get through the last two hours together. It's the opposite of Euphoria, a show with a interesting original concept but that's poorly directed/written.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17991 on: October 13, 2020, 09:48:50 AM »
Where is Euphoria?

Finishing up final 2 eps of original (s3) Veronica Mars. How did this get canceled? It’s so much fun.

Bebpo

« Reply #17992 on: October 13, 2020, 04:21:28 PM »
HBO

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #17993 on: October 13, 2020, 04:57:46 PM »
Where is Euphoria?

Finishing up final 2 eps of original (s3) Veronica Mars. How did this get canceled? It’s so much fun.

I would stop at season 3 because the movie and season 4 are bad

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17994 on: October 14, 2020, 05:15:53 PM »
Filmed all over zoom I hope

Beezy

« Reply #17995 on: October 14, 2020, 07:56:43 PM »
No one asked for this.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #17996 on: October 15, 2020, 06:00:08 AM »
I did :biden
(ice)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #17997 on: October 16, 2020, 05:52:35 PM »
can't be any worse than the last couple seasons tbh :doge

Nuitangg

« Reply #17998 on: October 17, 2020, 12:45:21 AM »

:lol

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17999 on: October 17, 2020, 11:49:42 AM »
Wait is that from Dexter?  Never watched till the end.