Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2060620 times)

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #18120 on: February 03, 2021, 11:13:43 AM »
Is that female Snape from The Worst Witch?  :lol

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18121 on: February 03, 2021, 04:52:33 PM »

That was certainly... a teaser for a TV show.
I'm in
Spud

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18122 on: February 04, 2021, 04:36:53 AM »
I'm fed up with the pseudo-Victorian setting, but the action looks decent.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #18123 on: February 04, 2021, 10:02:25 AM »
I really wanna watch this Japanese cop show from the 80s [Seibu Keisatsu], but all I can find are upcoming episode previews:

It's all car chases, shootouts, explosions.

This show fucking rules. All of it used to be on Netflix Japan, but it’s gone now, those fuckers

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18124 on: February 05, 2021, 11:25:27 AM »
Look at how much better the pacing is in this WandaVision episode than it has been up to now, now its hit the format I always expected it to, intercutting between 'IRL' and 'TVland'.

Sadly I'd been spoiled on the 'cameo', but it still worked well.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #18125 on: February 05, 2021, 01:36:54 PM »
WandaVision

:titus
___

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18126 on: February 05, 2021, 01:37:57 PM »
Really great episode

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18127 on: February 05, 2021, 06:17:50 PM »

That was certainly... a teaser for a TV show.
X-Men: The Regency Years

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #18128 on: February 06, 2021, 12:43:06 AM »
rub

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18129 on: February 06, 2021, 01:29:08 AM »
expanse seas 5 finished strong, but I didn't care for most of it. wish they had came up with some fake language for the belters to speak instead of the dumb accents. might enjoy more on a rewatch.

Bebpo

« Reply #18130 on: February 06, 2021, 08:09:02 PM »
WandaVision

Yeah, was pretty much as expected.

Wandavision is basically Fiege retconning Age of Ultron since they completely blew the major Marvel character in their and wasted them even going forward.

Also was pretty expected since

spoiler (click to show/hide)
It was leaked Evan Peters was cast in Wandavision
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #18131 on: February 06, 2021, 08:11:54 PM »
Wandavision as a whole seems like a surprisingly faithful adaptation in theme/major events to the lead up to House of M.

Pretty sure the ending is gonna be

Wanda losing the kids, which makes her go ballistic and remake the universe in a shattered dimensions that Dr. Strange & Spider-Man will have to deal with next.
[close]

Now I just wanna see if they're gonna take it one step further and

Name drop Magneto & mutants in the coming eps.
[close]

I'm not expecting

X-men to actually show up in person in MCU outside Quicksilver for a few more years until the tail end of Phase 4.

But damn what a surprise would it be if during the multi-verse traveling in Dr. Strange's movie they actually have the x-men show up in person.
[close]

Cryo

« Reply #18132 on: February 06, 2021, 08:19:34 PM »
expanse seas 5 finished strong, but I didn't care for most of it. wish they had came up with some fake language for the belters to speak instead of the dumb accents. might enjoy more on a rewatch.
Part of the reason it felt like content was on the low side is that space is huge...we barely saw Holden for long periods of time because he was literally just chillin in pursuit of the big bad. I definitely prefer that to GoT characters teleporting around the continent to move the plot forward.

Looking forward to having the gang back together next season though.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18133 on: February 07, 2021, 05:01:15 AM »
WandaVision is really starting to go places now. Really enjoying this way more than I thought.

After phase 3, I thought I was done with the MCU, but this is really pulling me back in hard.
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #18134 on: February 07, 2021, 09:33:32 AM »
Not sure what y'all were thinking the show would be, it's fallen mostly within my expectations. If you're familiar with House of M and Tom King's Vision run, this is basically that in the MCU.

This is the most I've seen of non-makeup Bettany tho and he's knocking it out of the park. I also have a soft spot for Elizabeth Olsen ever since that "one-take" horror film she did (one of her first roles, I think Half in the Bag covered it actually.) Wasn't an amazing movie but she surprised me and I've been kind of a fan since; I was really excited when she got cast as Scarlet Witch.

There's a lot of creativity in the smaller things like the commercials and attention to various sitcom details, but the overall show is about what I expected. I also wasn't one of the people bitching it was "too slow" in the first few episodes either. I'm treating this as a miniseries (since I don't expect an s2), and you really have to take the whole of those when accounting for pacing.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18135 on: February 07, 2021, 02:52:54 PM »
I've read about 10 comics in my life. None of them were Marvel or DC.
Spud

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #18136 on: February 07, 2021, 04:03:43 PM »
I've read zero :smug
(ice)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18137 on: February 07, 2021, 04:06:04 PM »
give us the list, mate

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18138 on: February 07, 2021, 07:36:09 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #18139 on: February 07, 2021, 07:46:33 PM »
That looks terrible. I wonder if it's the same animation studio that did the terrible Godzilla CG anime movies. Animation/art looks pretty similar.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18140 on: February 07, 2021, 07:54:38 PM »
give us the list, mate
Most of them were an old 90s comic called Bad Company. I think it was a spin-off of 2000AD or something. I quite liked it.

I've also read a few Walking Dead compilations, 300, the first volume of Y: The Last Man, the first volume of Ex Machina.

Comics aren't really a thing here and I don't care much for the format.
Spud

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18141 on: February 07, 2021, 08:27:33 PM »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18142 on: February 07, 2021, 08:35:53 PM »
WandaVision could go in a lot of different directions-

Warning:
:expert

-It's possible that Evan Peters showing up was more a nod to fans and he's just going to be a cameo and that's it.  Or it could be that this is the original Quicksilver, brought back to life, now played by Peters.  Hence the line in-show that she "switched actors."  Or it could be that this was the first instance of the multiverse and she pulled him from X-Men or a similar universe.  The latter is definitely the most exciting thing.

-The "Bewitched" intro from one of the earlier episodes showed what appeared to be the Grim Reaper's mask.  In the comics, the Grim Reaper is Eric Williams, brother of Simon Williams (Wonder Man) whose brainwaves were used to create the Vision.  But having all that in this show wouldn't make any sense, especially when in the MCU Vision is JARVIS turned into an android.

-Agnes is clearly someone else.  Some think she's Agatha Harkness, another witch in the Marvel comics universe.  We also have yet to see her husband, Ralph.

-Some people think "Ralph" is Mephisto.  In the comics, Mephisto is ultimately responsible for making Wanda's twins real.
[close]

Personally I am hoping this show is what leads to
all the multiverse stuff and it will be interesting if this is setting up Wanda to be a bad guy for the next Dr. Strange movie.
[close]

:thinking
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #18143 on: February 07, 2021, 09:44:44 PM »
I mean they already said this show specifically sets up Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness.

So the multiverse stuff is definitely the point of the show. This is the kick off of the Multiverse. Originally that movie was supposed to come out like right after Wandavision ends and continue the story without much of a gap between, but now we have to wait a year+ for the continuation  :'(

Dickie Dee

« Reply #18144 on: February 07, 2021, 10:02:51 PM »
I think it's set up so that:

the whole "you can't reverse" death stays true, not even Wanda can change that. But she can use her powers to maybe pull in another Pietro from a the Multiverse.

Maybe even setting up that she introduces Mutants to the MCU
[close]

Also:

[close]
___

chronovore

• relapsed dev

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18146 on: February 07, 2021, 11:58:41 PM »
I mean they already said this show specifically sets up Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness.

So the multiverse stuff is definitely the point of the show. This is the kick off of the Multiverse. Originally that movie was supposed to come out like right after Wandavision ends and continue the story without much of a gap between, but now we have to wait a year+ for the continuation  :'(
I think it's set up so that:

the whole "you can't reverse" death stays true, not even Wanda can change that. But she can use her powers to maybe pull in another Pietro from a the Multiverse.

Maybe even setting up that she introduces Mutants to the MCU
[close]

Also:

[close]

There is a rumor now that
Chris Evans will be back, likely in Dr. Strange and not in WandaVision, as the Human Torch from the older Fox Fantastic Four movies.
[close]

The Arrowverse already beat them and did this
with Brandon Routh as both The Atom from Arrow/Legends Of Tomorrow and Superman from Superman Returns during a crossover event.
[close]
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #18147 on: February 08, 2021, 12:08:45 AM »
That rumor sounds like what could be a deadpool style two second joke.

F4 movie is coming out in like 2023 with Jon Watts (Spider-Man Holland Trilogy director) directing. They're definitely doing a full recast. I think the best part of getting F4 into MCU pretty quick is getting a hopefully legit good Dr. Doom in MCU. He can definitely pull some movies as a Thanos like character.

I think I saw some rumor that Chris Evans might come back at some point as Captain America in some side thing like a TV show that takes place in the past.

And yeah, the multiverse has to be how they bring Mutants to the MCU. Mutants in MCU is happening down the line and Mutants/X-men have too much backstory to just start fresh as oh no Mutants are first appearing in 2023 or something. Multiverse lets them start way down the line and just explain what a mutant is and what happened in their world real quick. The end.

I think Hugh Jackman is the only character

outside of Quicksilver
[close]

That they may not recast when Mutants hit MCU. Despite what Jackman said in the past and that he's getting older, Marvel has $$$$$$$$$ money and Jackman likes playing the role. I can see Feige making it happen though I bet if Jackman is Wolverine in MCU it'll just be a small role where he passes the torch to X-23 as his successor and is more a mentor character. That way he doesn't have to spend much time in the role or do heavy action stuff as he gets older but can still appear occasionally for small bits.

Bebpo

« Reply #18148 on: February 08, 2021, 12:15:03 AM »
I was also thinking the other day that MCU with its three dozen superheroes already doesn't really have any traditional anti-heroes. I guess Loki at times? I think maybe Hawkeye MCU is supposed to be, but he just sucks in MCU. Characters like Alucard in Hellsing and stuff are missing. Deadpool sorta maybe but it's a joke so yeah. Maybe Nick Fury? But he's also played as a joke character 99% of the time in MCU.

Definitely some of the new characters could bring that into MCU. Wolverine is a pretty typical anti-hero, Moon Knight can be depending on how they do it, Namor would be great if they do him right. Dr. Doom sometimes pulls hero duty though always for his own benefit.

Wandavision spoiler
Quicksilver can be depending on what they do with him. He's pretty interesting in the comics as more of a sad villian than a hero most of the time in the last few decades.
[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18149 on: February 08, 2021, 12:21:34 AM »
That rumor sounds like what could be a deadpool style two second joke.

That, or a small scene in another universe that gets shown or visited!

I think I saw some rumor that Chris Evans might come back at some point as Captain America in some side thing like a TV show that takes place in the past.

There's talk that he might just be coming back as Captain America again after all- Cap was old Cap, albeit for completely reasons, in the comics and was de-aged so there's no reason why they can't go that route or just use the multiverse again.

And yeah, the multiverse has to be how they bring Mutants to the MCU. Mutants in MCU is happening down the line and Mutants/X-men have too much backstory to just start fresh as oh no Mutants are first appearing in 2023 or something. Multiverse lets them start way down the line and just explain what a mutant is and what happened in their world real quick. The end.

I think based on WandaVision that's the route we're getting, but there is also another way they could go and has been suggested that someone has been telepathically-hiding or made the world forget mutants exist and most of them are on Krakoa or something.  But that sounds very Wonder Woman-esque and stupid.

I think Hugh Jackman is the only character

outside of Quicksilver
[close]

That they may not recast when Mutants hit MCU. Despite what Jackman said in the past and that he's getting older, Marvel has $$$$$$$$$ money and Jackman likes playing the role. I can see Feige making it happen though I bet if Jackman is Wolverine in MCU it'll just be a small role where he passes the torch to X-23 as his successor and is more a mentor character. That way he doesn't have to spend much time in the role or do heavy action stuff as he gets older but can still appear occasionally for small bits.

Multiverse means anything can happen- they can have Jackman as Old Man Logan and still have someone else as a younger Wolverine.
:money

If they went nuts with all this multiverse stuff, they could build towards a Secret Wars (2015) movie that ends with a new or changed-up cast of actors taking over various roles going forward for another decade or so.
ど助平

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18150 on: February 08, 2021, 12:22:11 AM »
give us the list, mate
Most of them were an old 90s comic called Bad Company. I think it was a spin-off of 2000AD or something. I quite liked it.

I've also read a few Walking Dead compilations, 300, the first volume of Y: The Last Man, the first volume of Ex Machina.

Comics aren't really a thing here and I don't care much for the format.
I've only read Y out of those. I'll check out that bad company  8)

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18151 on: February 08, 2021, 04:55:36 AM »
http://twitter.com/jonathansfrakes/status/1358482718963679238

I like leverage, its the cheesy american Hustle knock off where they're all superhumanly gifted

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18152 on: February 08, 2021, 04:56:59 AM »
I think the best part of getting F4 into MCU pretty quick is getting a hopefully legit good Dr. Doom in MCU. He can definitely pull some movies as a Thanos like character.

For the one appearance he gets before being murdered, because despite the MCU 'lighter tone' they still Dick Tracey their villain of the week.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18153 on: February 08, 2021, 09:19:34 AM »
are the inhumans from agents of s.h.i.e.l.d. at all related to the inhumans from the inhumans? Because it sort of seems like they already fucked their canon if both tv shows are MCU

Tasty

« Reply #18154 on: February 08, 2021, 09:50:33 AM »
Marvel spent like 3 years setting up mutants Inhumans on TV and :dead if they just ignore it all and do multiverse shit with actors from the X-Men movies instead

I mean they did the same thing in the comics lol, so it'd be accurate at least.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18155 on: February 08, 2021, 12:05:43 PM »
People who remember that the Inhumans TV show exists are in fact canon queens.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18156 on: February 08, 2021, 12:14:03 PM »
its right there on disney plus alongside runaways and agent carter :trumps

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18158 on: February 08, 2021, 01:49:20 PM »
Don't forget about Helstrom and Cloak & Dagger!
:heh

are the inhumans from agents of s.h.i.e.l.d. at all related to the inhumans from the inhumans? Because it sort of seems like they already fucked their canon if both tv shows are MCU

I think the answer is "sort of."  Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. started off clearly related to the MCU (with characters like Fury and Sif showing up from the movies), and then they just sort of broke off of from it.  I can't remember exactly why, but I think it had something to do with Marvel Studios wanting to set up and do their own TV shows with full control over them.  But SHIELD was successful and kept going anyway, referencing events from some of the movies.  Meanwhile the movies completely ignored the show.  :lol  Like they referenced Thanos attacking on one show, conveniently elsewhere in the world, even though the activity taking place would have gotten all the movie characters' attention.  They ended up just ignoring the movie stuff for the last two-ish seasons and the show got much better for it.  They have alternate versions of characters, a season with Kree as the baddies before the movies had them, and the last season mostly takes place in an alternate timeline- SHIELD doing multiverse before Marvel!
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #18159 on: February 08, 2021, 03:38:06 PM »
Hobbs and Falcon

It looks like trash tbh  :doge
🤴

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18160 on: February 08, 2021, 04:15:06 PM »

Coming Fall 2021

:ohyou

Bebpo

« Reply #18161 on: February 08, 2021, 07:28:29 PM »
I actually am nerdily kind of bummed that Inhumans got fucked before real MCU. Black Bolt is pretty rad.

Also feel the same way, but more, about Iron Fist getting fucked before real MCU. Iron Fist Disney+ could've been legit. I'm still hoping they reboot Iron  Fist and recast Danny Rand in something Shang Chi since they fight together sometimes.

Bebpo

« Reply #18162 on: February 08, 2021, 07:29:26 PM »
With the multiverse if Fiege ever does Ghost Rider I want Nic Cage crazy Ghost Rider to be canon.  He'll be in anything. It can be done.  :doge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18163 on: February 08, 2021, 08:38:54 PM »
I actually am nerdily kind of bummed that Inhumans got fucked before real MCU. Black Bolt is pretty rad.

Also feel the same way, but more, about Iron Fist getting fucked before real MCU. Iron Fist Disney+ could've been legit. I'm still hoping they reboot Iron  Fist and recast Danny Rand in something Shang Chi since they fight together sometimes.

Marvel tried to replace the X-Men with the Inhumans and it failed miserably.  Just not as iconic a group.  It's good that Disney acquired those Fox movie properties otherwise we probably wouldn't have them or the Fantastic Four at this point. 

I liked the first season of Iron Fist on Netflix, but didn't get very far in the second one.  Was just kinda :zzz.  I hope they bring in the same actors, though.  They can always change things up.

With the multiverse if Fiege ever does Ghost Rider I want Nic Cage crazy Ghost Rider to be canon.  He'll be in anything. It can be done.  :doge

Agents Of SHIELD seemingly implied that Nic Cage Ghost Rider gave his powers to Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider (who was in a couple of seasons of the show). You know who crazy Nic Cage would be a good actor for?  Mephisto.  :thinking
ど助平

Dickie Dee

« Reply #18164 on: February 08, 2021, 10:13:50 PM »
___

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18165 on: February 09, 2021, 04:50:21 AM »
The Inhumans are like other pure Kirby shit like the New Gods, in that they are clearly lame as fuck, but also in their own weird way actually fucking awesome

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18166 on: February 09, 2021, 09:20:16 PM »

Marvel tried to replace the X-Men with the Inhumans and it failed miserably.  Just not as iconic a group.  It's good that Disney acquired those Fox movie properties otherwise we probably wouldn't have them or the Fantastic Four at this point. 

I liked the first season of Iron Fist on Netflix, but didn't get very far in the second one.  Was just kinda :zzz.  I hope they bring in the same actors, though.  They can always change things up.

Agents Of SHIELD seemingly implied that Nic Cage Ghost Rider gave his powers to Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider (who was in a couple of seasons of the show). You know who crazy Nic Cage would be a good actor for?  Mephisto.  :thinking

Normally, I'm inclined to agree, but no.
Guardians of the Galaxy has no traction as a comic book. Nothing really going for it. I could not understand why they were focusing on it. Then it came out, and it was a pretty great Star Wars movie, even before Disney bought Lucasfilm. But it only nominally has a connection to its source material.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #18167 on: February 11, 2021, 07:20:08 AM »
So are they gonna recast Cara Dune in The Mandalorian or Poochie The Dog her?
rub

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18168 on: February 11, 2021, 08:16:18 AM »
Isn't that what they did with Alex in The Expanse? (haven't watched the last season yet).
Recasts are usually terrible, and the characters in Mandalorian are all cardboard cutouts anyway.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18169 on: February 11, 2021, 09:30:51 AM »

They don’t need to do anything other than just not have her appear in the story.  It’s not like she was in every episode. Mando just finds other  person from his past to help with the mission. Whatever.

The bigger problem is that Carano chose to be publicly stupid about a bunch of shit, and now she can deal with consequences.

2021. I’m hoping it’s all about consequences.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18170 on: February 11, 2021, 09:45:22 AM »

???
They weren't firing people for saying shit on Social Media before?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18171 on: February 11, 2021, 08:24:43 PM »

???

Lots of studios have distanced themselves from actors/directors/writers who have loudly announced themselves to be out of alignment with the studio's desired branding.

team filler

• filler
  • filler

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18173 on: February 12, 2021, 03:48:48 AM »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18174 on: February 12, 2021, 07:09:46 AM »

???

Lots of studios have distanced themselves from actors/directors/writers who have loudly announced themselves to be out of alignment with the studio's desired branding.
I know i'm saying it's not a 2021 thing, it's been a minute that companies try to cover their asses.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18175 on: February 12, 2021, 09:55:15 AM »
I'm OK with B99 ending now.  Quality has gone down and I'd prefer they end on a higher note.  8 seasons is a hell of a run. 

Tasty

« Reply #18176 on: February 12, 2021, 07:01:46 PM »
WandaVision 6 :delicious

Bebpo

« Reply #18177 on: February 13, 2021, 04:07:42 AM »
The costumes were good and the kids getting their powers. Still leaving us hanging on the big questions though.

I hope they do a Young Avengers show.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #18178 on: February 14, 2021, 02:59:32 PM »
WandaVision was pretty good, created some great questions for the series to answer for sure.

Finished the 3rd run of Disenchanted last night. I'm just about ready to jump off this show. The show has always felt disjointed with super stilted line delivery but it has gotten worse, maybe due to Covid, I dunno. It's like how the first episode of Futurama was periods of silence punctuated with periodic line delivery. I don't know if it's supposed to have an overarching story through the seasons or not, but nothing tends to matter. People get killed and pop back into the story after 10 episodes so there's no real consequence. One season cliffhanger killed a *main* character and they brought him back, now they killed ANOTHER main character. New races are magically discovered every few episodes. Bean's mom Dagmar just shows up and fucks stuff up and leaves forever only to arrive again to fuck stuff up on the cliffhanger.

If it's supposed to be like Rick and Morty with no overall narrative then the jokes aren't funny enough to carry it.

The art is great though.
rub

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18179 on: February 14, 2021, 04:22:52 PM »
I really wanted to like Disenchanted more than I do. 

I binged Ash vs Evil Dead season 1 today instead of doing work.  Kinda sad that I didn't watch it when it came out.