Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2046359 times)

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #18061 on: December 26, 2020, 01:25:20 PM »
Been watching Alice in Bordeland and Sweet Home.

Former is really fun, if you like that high concept sci fi style Manga (think Death Note, Gantz etc) and it's well thought out in that context.
You get your usual overacting and drama, but the pace is incredible and it's well thought out in that sense.

Latter is a Korean show with a structure similar to Rec, people locked in a building with zombies.
It's kind of mediocre and also filled with Asian melodrama, but of much lower quality than Alice.
the monsters are kind of creative though, and not just regular zombies, and that kind of makes it worth a watch.

Both on Netflix.

Alice is a must watch so far (only 3 or 4 episodes in) Sweet Home is take it or leave it.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #18062 on: December 26, 2020, 08:50:03 PM »
Alice in Borderland reminded me a lot of Kaiji (although Kaiji is better)

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
___

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #18064 on: December 29, 2020, 12:35:04 PM »
Got around to the Euphora special. Was nice. Some good acting chops and the dialogue in this show during monologues feels kinda good Sorkin-ish.

I do hope Covid doesn't fuck this show. That they were a week away from shooting S2 when it got shut down and who knows when it'll get restarted sucks for a new show that has a lot of stuff going for it.

Looking forward to the second special.

I tried getting into this show (was on episode 3 or 4) and it *is* shot incredibly well with good acting, but I couldn’t shake the feeling that it was Degrassi with higher production. I can’t suspend my belief for long enough to believe that *everyone* is going through some controversial, modern-day shit.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18065 on: January 01, 2021, 06:06:10 AM »
Watching Cobra Kai season 3. Love this show.

Also forgot how hot Daniel's wife is.  :whew
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 06:12:38 AM by Potato »
Spud

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #18066 on: January 01, 2021, 08:23:41 PM »
Binged Cobra Kai Season 3 I liked it way more than the second season. :rejoice

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Terry Silver is coming back, Barnes is a possibility. :preach
[close]

Kumiko and Alli look pretty good, some Gilf action.
[close]
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 10:58:51 PM by D3RANG3D »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18067 on: January 02, 2021, 12:30:27 AM »
Alice in Borderlands, i can confirm was fun throughout, looking forward to Season 2.

Sweet Home, on  the contrary, is dog shit, don't bother.
Some of the worst directing and editing i've seen in a while, on top of a garbage script, no wonder it came from a webcomic.

Tasty

« Reply #18068 on: January 03, 2021, 10:45:00 AM »
I've started Succession, first couple eps are a little hard to get through but then you see the dynamics click into place and it's great. I love Brian Cox in anything ("SOMEONE WILL FINISH WHAT I STARTED! ONE DAY, WOLVERINE!!!") and Macaulay Culkin's brother Kieran is just amazing every time he's on-screen. On episode 7 and things have gotten juicy.

Beezy

« Reply #18069 on: January 03, 2021, 01:56:16 PM »
Oh shit, I didn't know that was his brother. I've put off watching the second season for almost a year now. I'll start it soon.

Tasty

« Reply #18070 on: January 04, 2021, 02:51:46 PM »

Man I love shit like this.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18071 on: January 04, 2021, 05:21:58 PM »
I've started Succession, first couple eps are a little hard to get through but then you see the dynamics click into place and it's great. I love Brian Cox in anything ("SOMEONE WILL FINISH WHAT I STARTED! ONE DAY, WOLVERINE!!!") and Macaulay Culkin's brother Kieran is just amazing every time he's on-screen. On episode 7 and things have gotten juicy.

I was trying to figure out WTF was going on in Succession. I thought it was a foreign production, and then I thought it was Mackauley, then I just became increasingly confused.

Tasty

« Reply #18072 on: January 04, 2021, 05:34:23 PM »
He was also the gay brother in Scott Pilgrim. :)

Macaulay has four brothers, and one more is an actor: Rory.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18073 on: January 04, 2021, 06:06:02 PM »
https://deadline.com/2020/12/sex-and-the-city-limited-reboot-hbo-max-1234660899/

I thought all these bitches turned on each other after the second movie bombed :mindblown
Bitches gotta eat too
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18074 on: January 05, 2021, 05:18:06 AM »
Just finished episode 1 of The Watch.

As an adaptation of Terry Pratchett's work it's fucking awful, but as a standalone, I actually didn't mind it too much.

I'll definitely watch at least a couple more episodes.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18075 on: January 10, 2021, 09:52:32 PM »
Episode Two of The Watch is a fucking mess.

I think I have to keep watching just to see how bad this can get.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 10:01:42 PM by Potato »
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18076 on: January 12, 2021, 09:51:34 PM »
Season 4 of The Expanse is amazing. I was slightly disappointed by book 4, but the adaptation is great.

In a better world, Avasarala would be as popular as Tyrion from GoT.

"Holden, do not put your dick in it. It's fucked enough already."
Spud

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18077 on: January 12, 2021, 11:35:10 PM »
not liking seas 5 and I'm up to ep 6  :(  too much family drama and the dumb accents for belters are getting ridiculous  :lol there's just too many of them with too much dialogue now, sounds like they hired a bunch of deaf people to play belters  :oreilly

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18078 on: January 13, 2021, 12:00:59 AM »
I'll be reading book 5 and probably 6 before going into season 5. Season 4 spoiled enough stuff already.

Agree on the belter accents too.
Spud

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18079 on: January 17, 2021, 07:58:09 AM »
Watched the first couple of episodes of WandaVision, and unless they're really committing to the bit and the entire series never deviates from telling its story entirely through genre conventions, they're basically padding shit out for subs, because I've seen a few shows where people are "trapped in a TV show" that hit the exact same fucking story beats across multiple examples all within a single 45 minute episode.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18080 on: January 17, 2021, 08:03:52 AM »
The first two episodes of WandaVision were great. 

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18081 on: January 17, 2021, 08:13:43 AM »
I mean, so far so pleasantville, and its an interesting premise, but this is like an 8 episode series, right?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18082 on: January 17, 2021, 08:19:12 AM »
Rewatched ROME.
Why couldn't this be the full 5 seasons? It's so good, but Season 2 feels ridiculously abridged.  :stahp

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #18083 on: January 17, 2021, 11:11:25 AM »
WandaVision is pretty dope so far

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18084 on: January 17, 2021, 11:13:28 AM »
Disenchantment part 3 has been pretty disappointing. 

jorma

« Reply #18085 on: January 17, 2021, 02:38:58 PM »
Watched the first couple of episodes of WandaVision, and unless they're really committing to the bit and the entire series never deviates from telling its story entirely through genre conventions, they're basically padding shit out for subs, because I've seen a few shows where people are "trapped in a TV show" that hit the exact same fucking story beats across multiple examples all within a single 45 minute episode.

Hard disagree, i hope something changes radically because this is utter garbage. Second ep was better than the first though, so i'll stick around for the third i guess.

Whoever compared this with Twin Peaks must be on hard drugs (that they presumably bought with bribe money from Disney). It reminds me more of Soap, but unfunny.

Bebpo

« Reply #18086 on: January 17, 2021, 03:11:19 PM »

Hard disagree, i hope something changes radically because this is utter garbage. Second ep was better than the first though, so i'll stick around for the third i guess.

Whoever compared this with Twin Peaks must be on hard drugs (that they presumably bought with bribe money from Disney). It reminds me more of Soap, but unfunny.

Idk, if you don't like Marvel humor, then yeah this show isn't gonna work for you.

I thought the eps were pretty funny and liked them a lot. Mostly for the humor. Because otherwise there's nothing much there yet.

I'm still expecting Feige to go crazy and end the show with something like the inverse of Wanda's famous "No More Mutants" reality changing scene from the comics. I.e. I'm fully expecting the show ends with Wanda opening the multiverse and bringing mutants (and therefore the X-men) into the MCU. Considering that this show leads into Dr. Strange's multiverse movie and Spider-Man 3's multiverse movie and what better way to bring in the X-men than through the multiverse stuff that's about to happen.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18087 on: January 17, 2021, 03:46:01 PM »
Because otherwise there's nothing much there yet.

yeah, that's why I'm kind of 'eh' on it so far - this isn't a show where its audience are going in blind and taking things at face value, only to have little hints dropping that things aren't quite right, because its the fucking MCU. Like, it's not Don't Hug Me I'm Scared or Too Many Cooks, even though its riffing on the same premise.

It's not even 'marvel humour' - its a pretty faithful... I can't even say it reaches the level of pastiche, but so far its a very on-the-nose reinterpretation of I Dream Of Jeannie / Bewitched, with a couple of elements suggesting the meta narrative.

That's why if it goes into a more traditional format I'd be pretty annoyed they wasted a quarter of their total runtime playing old sitcoms 99.9% straight when they could have covered it all in a montage in episode 1 and then got on with it, compared to if they really follow through on the bit and leave that 0.1% meta narrative entirely on the viewers to figure out. Which tbh I don't trust Disney trusting the audience enough to do.

e:
comics wise, and I strongly doubt I'm the only one to make this assumption, I'm assuming it's basically
Avengers: Standoff rather than House Of M, possibly with the Reality gem if they don't want to introduce Cosmic Cubes
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #18088 on: January 18, 2021, 08:37:58 PM »
Buffy peeps in WandaVision  :ohyeah

Christophe Beck on score :whew

Emma Caulfield as 50's Regina George  :delicious

Tasty

« Reply #18089 on: January 21, 2021, 12:16:36 PM »

Dickie Dee

« Reply #18090 on: January 21, 2021, 01:48:09 PM »
Great episode of The Expanse.
___

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18091 on: January 22, 2021, 05:32:29 AM »
Watched episode 3 of WandaVision. I'm glad it's starting to actually pay off. It's just been silly TV tropes with the worst Marvel characters to this point.
Spud

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #18092 on: January 22, 2021, 09:07:28 AM »
Yeah I’m on the WandaVision train now, just hope it has a decent payoff

Bebpo

« Reply #18093 on: January 23, 2021, 04:21:14 AM »
Euphoria Special #2 was good and Hunter Schafer is punching way above her weight in acting. Some good writing & directing. The Lorde song it opens with is probably my favorite of that second album, so that was neat.

That said, Special #1 was still waaaaaay better. Both actors in that special just killed it. Was damn good.

Gonna be a long wait for more Euphoria at this point if they're waiting for covid to end so that they can film S2. All these supposedly HS kids gonna keep age-ing up. Might as well re-write it for a time skip probably. I'm not expecting S2 until like fall 2022.

At least there's the new movie by Levinson & Zendaya in like a week. Should be good.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18094 on: January 24, 2021, 10:11:56 AM »

Amazing episode

Tasty

« Reply #18095 on: January 25, 2021, 05:15:59 PM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/harry-potter-live-action-tv-series-in-early-development-at-hbo-max-exclusive

:hmm

Is the 2020s really gonna be a repeat of the Lord of the Rings vs. Harry Potter fandoms, just on the small screen instead? :lol

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #18096 on: January 25, 2021, 10:01:45 PM »
WandaVision: Here's 15 minutes of dumb tropey shit and then we change the camera lenses.

Let's hurry up some story beats please, it's embarrassing. I'm sure at the end of the season it'll be SEE THE GUM MEANT THIS AND THE REMEMBER WHEN THE RADIO SAID HEY WANDA  :lucas but right now its excruciating.
rub

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18097 on: January 26, 2021, 09:16:14 PM »
Mandalorian S2 was really good. 

team filler

• filler
  • filler

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18099 on: January 28, 2021, 11:00:16 PM »
Richard Lewis is very smart, and hilarious. I wonder why he didn't go further in his career. He easily could've supported a sitcom just off his normal schtick.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18100 on: January 29, 2021, 03:49:34 AM »
the big woman from game a throne is playing lucifer in sandman tv series  :nope

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18101 on: January 29, 2021, 03:58:29 AM »
She could tumble me around hell a few times, I wouldn't argue.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18102 on: January 29, 2021, 05:45:24 AM »
WandaVision e4 was good. Finally getting somewhere. Great atmosphere too...really unsettling in some places.
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18103 on: January 29, 2021, 12:14:23 PM »
Reddit comment pointed out that when Wanda throws Monica outside of town she literally goes through 4 walls/barriers.  Really loving this show.
[close]

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18105 on: January 30, 2021, 11:45:19 AM »
So you could literally start watching wandavision with ep4 and not have missed a single narrative beat shown so far.

Also yeah, they obviously don't trust the audience to put the plot together solely through meta narrative.

There's nothing wrong with full length pastiche, but spending half your run time on it feels off; those first three eps could have been montaged into one pretty easily, or if this was in a film format intercut to the relevant parts of Ep4.
Like, you didn't need to see deaged RDJ with his dead dad hologram for an hour at the start of Civil War to get the point.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18106 on: January 30, 2021, 12:26:54 PM »
Nah, the journey is as fun as the end narrative.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18107 on: January 30, 2021, 02:11:01 PM »
I really wanna watch this Japanese cop show from the 80s [Seibu Keisatsu], but all I can find are upcoming episode previews:

It's all car chases, shootouts, explosions.
dog

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18108 on: January 30, 2021, 03:28:41 PM »
So you could literally start watching wandavision with ep4 and not have missed a single narrative beat shown so far.

Also yeah, they obviously don't trust the audience to put the plot together solely through meta narrative.

There's nothing wrong with full length pastiche, but spending half your run time on it feels off; those first three eps could have been montaged into one pretty easily, or if this was in a film format intercut to the relevant parts of Ep4.
Like, you didn't need to see deaged RDJ with his dead dad hologram for an hour at the start of Civil War to get the point.

While I've enjoyed it so far, I completely agree.
Spud

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #18109 on: January 30, 2021, 04:21:18 PM »
WandaVision: Here's 15 minutes of dumb tropey shit and then we change the camera lenses.

Let's hurry up some story beats please, it's embarrassing. I'm sure at the end of the season it'll be SEE THE GUM MEANT THIS AND THE REMEMBER WHEN THE RADIO SAID HEY WANDA  :lucas but right now its excruciating.

4th episode helped, but they held their hand awfully long to get here. It's still painfully slow and that's coming from someone who loves Better Call Saul.
rub

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18110 on: January 30, 2021, 04:55:51 PM »
It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't drip-feeding the episodes. This style is more suited to dropping a whole season and letting the viewer decide when to take a break.
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #18111 on: January 30, 2021, 06:04:18 PM »
You guys have no chill lol.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #18112 on: January 30, 2021, 07:25:37 PM »
I dunno, I like the weekly stuff like Mando and Saul, but there's good B stories in support of the A story. The B stories in Wanda are too tropey.
rub

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18113 on: January 31, 2021, 04:26:47 AM »
I've been rewatching some XFiles lately (still on S1) as i eat lunch, and this show is so fucking dumb, but in a funny way.
Hadn't watched it since i was a kid.
Kind comfy though.

I don't think i'll get even close to finish it, or anything like that, but i am curious to revisit some of the episodes i thought were amazing, when i was 10 or whatever.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #18114 on: January 31, 2021, 04:41:15 PM »
https://twitter.com/ComicBook/status/1355030412435845129

But DisneyStan1984 said this was better than David Lynch  :dizzy
🤴

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18115 on: February 01, 2021, 06:29:09 PM »
I really wanna watch this Japanese cop show from the 80s [Seibu Keisatsu], but all I can find are upcoming episode previews:

It's all car chases, shootouts, explosions.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/渡哲也/dp/B07SW43CSL/

I looked to see if using a VPN would get your access to it through regular Amazon Prime ("free") but no-go.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18116 on: February 01, 2021, 06:31:44 PM »

Yeah, this is VERY good casting based on the comic character, and I'd pay reasonable money to have her spank me while in-character. Probably get pictures taken. Lose my last chances at a senate-run.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #18117 on: February 01, 2021, 06:41:37 PM »
WandaVision :rejoice

Haters :piss2
___

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #18118 on: February 01, 2021, 07:48:50 PM »

Yeah, this is VERY good casting based on the comic character, and I'd pay reasonable money to have her spank me while in-character. Probably get pictures taken. Lose my last chances at a senate-run.

:respect

Spud

Tasty

« Reply #18119 on: February 03, 2021, 09:04:49 AM »

That was certainly... a teaser for a TV show.