Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2087302 times)

CrystalGemini

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #2820 on: August 09, 2011, 07:46:27 PM »
No one watches Warehouse 13?  :'(

You have the worst taste ever.

I apologize for enjoying myself. Shall I like everything you like too, o great one?

Quote from: Mupepe
Saw the first episode of WW2 in HD (I know it's not the type of show most people in here are discussing but oh well). 

Man, seeing good quality ww2 footage is quite different.  It's a lot more eerie when it's not such a fuzzy mess.  Plus the narration and the way the story progresses is really pretty neat

That is an awesome WWII documentary. The different points of view coupled with interviews from the actual people really hit home with me.

etiolate watches Warehouse 13 THEREFOR IT IS AWESOME COOL
O_O

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #2821 on: August 09, 2011, 07:49:27 PM »
Watching that new Pee Wee special that aired on HBO. It's pretty good. Not as good as the original one from like 20 years ago but still pretty funyn for being dumb.
USA

Himu

« Reply #2822 on: August 09, 2011, 08:55:50 PM »
when did that come on
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2823 on: August 10, 2011, 09:15:20 AM »
Quote from: Mupepe
Saw the first episode of WW2 in HD (I know it's not the type of show most people in here are discussing but oh well). 

Man, seeing good quality ww2 footage is quite different.  It's a lot more eerie when it's not such a fuzzy mess.  Plus the narration and the way the story progresses is really pretty neat

That is an awesome WWII documentary. The different points of view coupled with interviews from the actual people really hit home with me.
Yeah it is.  The style is really effective.  I thought I was over WW2 stuff after Band of Brothers and The Pacific but this hooked me again.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2824 on: August 10, 2011, 09:16:30 AM »
Justified.

How come none o' you boritos told me there was an Elmore Leonard helmed TV show on. Huh?

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2825 on: August 11, 2011, 01:50:33 AM »
Breaking Bad s4...

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Great episode. But can Jesse finally be killed already? I realize the show has never truly been "realistic" but his antics have begun to make some of the drama seem moot. Gus killed Vincent as a precaution. Yet he allows Jesse to live when his every move endangers the operation? Jesse lives in a well off neighborhood. He has no explanation for his income, and his house is poorly kept and loud. All it would take is one complaint call to bring everything down.

What's Walter going to do, if Gus kills Jesse? Stop working? I doubt that. Go to the police? Of course not. "Disappear"? He can try, but his every move is being watched. So while I think these last few episodes have been great, this glaring issue is making me question the show's seriousness.
[close]

cool breeze

« Reply #2826 on: August 12, 2011, 12:51:20 AM »
Doug Stanhope was on the newest episode of Louie

Himu

« Reply #2827 on: August 12, 2011, 04:01:08 AM »
Been rewatching Mad Men on netflix. I'm on season 4 now and yep, I still think it's the best (currently) show on tv.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2828 on: August 12, 2011, 04:11:08 AM »
Curb s1 ep9 (Affirmative Action) :rofl

"are you trying to bribe a pharmacist?!"  :lol :lol :lol

Himu

« Reply #2829 on: August 12, 2011, 04:31:39 AM »
that episode is amazing

just wait till you get to "Shaq" :rofl
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2830 on: August 13, 2011, 12:55:20 AM »
omfg @ the incest ep of Curb :rofl

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2831 on: August 14, 2011, 04:08:58 AM »
Sopranos S4 is kind of boring. And jesus christ I don't want to see another second of Tony's god damn sister

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #2832 on: August 14, 2011, 12:33:27 PM »
She's the awesomest worst person character in TV history :bow2
___

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2833 on: August 15, 2011, 08:36:17 AM »
I don't even know who that is, but I'd vote for 24's original First Lady, Sherry Palmer for that role.
When they cacked both her and Nina Meyers in Season 3, I was able to just walk away entirely from the series, completely satisfied.
[close]

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2834 on: August 15, 2011, 10:24:22 AM »
Sopranos S4 is kind of boring. And jesus christ I don't want to see another second of Tony's god damn sister
Season 4 is average.  The only thing that stands out is the performances towards the end of the season.  Whatsherface that plays Carmela won an Emmy for it and it was definitely deserved.  Season 5 is the definitive average Sopranos season of "we don't know where we're really going".  It's worth watching, but the drop in quality is so apparent if you're in marathon mode.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2835 on: August 15, 2011, 04:31:44 PM »
I don't even know who that is, but I'd vote for 24's original First Lady, Sherry Palmer for that role.
When they cacked both her and Nina Meyers in Season 3, I was able to just walk away entirely from the series, completely satisfied.
[close]

Sherry Palmer wins that award by far, agreed. I loved her  :lol

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2836 on: August 17, 2011, 08:33:20 PM »
Sopranos 4x7 was amazing. It's fascinating and frustrating watching older shows that deal with the housing issue, pre bubble burst. I remember when my parents were on that "buy land!" bandwagon, luckily they didn't get in too deep. But yea, great episode, finally for this season

oh and Curb S2 is hilarious so far

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #2837 on: August 17, 2011, 09:27:24 PM »
First three seasons of Sopranos match up with the best the medium can offer. The rest of the seasons don't match that although there are still good and occasionally great episodes.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2838 on: August 17, 2011, 09:48:28 PM »
Meh. I think it's a good show, and at it's peaks (S1 and S3) it was great, but it doesn't touch The Wire, The Shield, or any top tier show to me.

I love gangster shit, and by now I like the characters. Too bad I know how many of them die thanks to the fucking media. Fuck ESPN

Tucah

« Reply #2839 on: August 17, 2011, 10:59:12 PM »
Been rewatching a ton of Seinfeld for some reason, on season 6 at the moment, the show in its prime. I will never get sick of this show, I've seen every episode countless times and will see them countless more.

I also was going through Justified but got sidetracked from it for some reason about two-thirds through season 2. Fantastic show and I was loving the overarching plot of the second season. In fact, I think I'll finish that up tonight.

Tucah

« Reply #2840 on: August 18, 2011, 12:49:36 PM »
I hate to double post, but I finished up Justified season 2. Goddamn, those last couple of episodes were fucking incredible. Give the actress who plays Mags an Emmy, she was such a fantastic villain. This show :bow

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2841 on: August 19, 2011, 12:59:27 AM »
Sopranos 4x9...

It didn't take many episodes to establish Tony as a sociopath, but this one drove the point home in a way that made it feel like a new revelation. I can't help to be reminded of The Shield, where you know a certain character is beyond-the-pale by the end of the first episode, but it takes until the last season for the point to actually resonate.

From a creative perspective though, I can't say I liked Ralph being killed that way, and my shock/awe was tempered by a feeling of disappointment and thinking the whole thing was ridiculous. It's in character for Tony to do, no doubt, and maybe me liking Ralph is clouding my judgement. But it just seemed...stupid. I had hoped Ralph would meet his end due to Pauly or the Carmine under boss, setting up some interesting shit. But this...blah. It reminds me of the sudden death of Richie in S2. Shocking..but what does it add to the story beside putting more bones in the closet of despicable characters?
[close]

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2842 on: August 19, 2011, 10:21:27 AM »
Sopranos 4x9...

It didn't take many episodes to establish Tony as a sociopath, but this one drove the point home in a way that made it feel like a new revelation. I can't help to be reminded of The Shield, where you know a certain character is beyond-the-pale by the end of the first episode, but it takes until the last season for the point to actually resonate.

From a creative perspective though, I can't say I liked Ralph being killed that way, and my shock/awe was tempered by a feeling of disappointment and thinking the whole thing was ridiculous. It's in character for Tony to do, no doubt, and maybe me liking Ralph is clouding my judgement. But it just seemed...stupid. I had hoped Ralph would meet his end due to Pauly or the Carmine under boss, setting up some interesting shit. But this...blah. It reminds me of the sudden death of Richie in S2. Shocking..but what does it add to the story beside putting more bones in the closet of despicable characters?
[close]
I kinda agree, but it doesn't bother me.  I don't think any of it has to have a monumental effect except to further display the fucked mentality of the characters which is one of the main points of the show.  I loved both of those scenes by the way.  And I especially love how Tony gets to use the one against Janice for the rest of series. 

« Reply #2843 on: August 20, 2011, 01:32:51 PM »
This week's episode of Torchwood was really good, but I'm afraid it's too late with only three episodes left.
野球

Tucah

« Reply #2844 on: August 20, 2011, 05:17:47 PM »
This week's episode of Torchwood was really good, but I'm afraid it's too late with only three episodes left.

I've completely skipped this season of Torchwood, is it worth catching up on? I hated the first two seasons but loved Children of Earth so I was willing to give the new season a shot but completely forgot about the show.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2845 on: August 20, 2011, 05:34:07 PM »
i'm watching Ancient Aliens on netflix right now

i've said "..what" about 6 times already.
nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2846 on: August 20, 2011, 05:39:49 PM »
this is bullshit. they make these claims like "this ancient monument is a wormhole!!" then the next thing they do is explain how wormholes are accepted aspects of science. now a dumb person who simply connect the non sequitur together and believe that the original claim is truth.

they are talking about this amazing place in peru where all these rocks seem to form faces and animals and shit and that it's proof of ancient aliens. one of the examples is a "Fallen Horse"

a fucking FALLEN HORSE.

WHY would aliens decide to depict a FALLEN HORSE in rocks. THAT MAKES no sense!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 05:43:03 PM by fistfulofmetal »
nat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2847 on: August 20, 2011, 06:55:34 PM »
I hate to double post, but I finished up Justified season 2. Goddamn, those last couple of episodes were fucking incredible. Give the actress who plays Mags an Emmy, she was such a fantastic villain. This show :bow

I am on ep. 8 of season1, and enjoying it. The pilot, which I assume is really close to the short story on which the series is based, felt very much like an Elmore Leonard story. Since then, it's felt not only a bit more like "normal TV show," but also has that sort of rushed, discount feeling that the only other FX show I've seen, Blade, also had. Which is to say, unlike most series, so far the pilot has been the best episode.

What changes in season 2? Would you say it's better, or worse than season 1?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2848 on: August 20, 2011, 08:20:47 PM »
I can waste hours watching crazy shit from the History channel on youtube lol. Atlantis, Nazis on the moon, aliens, whatever.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #2849 on: August 21, 2011, 01:36:50 AM »

I am on ep. 8 of season1, and enjoying it. The pilot, which I assume is really close to the short story on which the series is based, felt very much like an Elmore Leonard story. Since then, it's felt not only a bit more like "normal TV show," but also has that sort of rushed, discount feeling that the only other FX show I've seen, Blade, also had. Which is to say, unlike most series, so far the pilot has been the best episode.

S2 is quite a bit better.
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2850 on: August 21, 2011, 02:57:44 AM »
finished s4 of The Sopranos

Pauly killing the old lady was another reactive, dumb decision imo. meh

The season was alright. It seemed to be building up to something big only to diffuse things throughout the season. Killing off Ralph felt like a waste, as did the Carmine shit. I get why Tony called it off, but still...meh.

I couldn't help but cheer for Carmela in the finale. She's been shat on for 4 seasons, I'm glad she decided to finally say enough is enough. She's not the smartest woman, but she's a great, strong mother; many of her mannerisms remind me of my mom tbh. On one hand Tony gravitates towards a host of vapid bimbos, on the other hand he seems quite attracted to driven, professional women. Most of the professional women he fell for were fucked up in some way though, and needy.

Like in Goodfellas, every male (except Bobby, the big fat dude) treats their women like shit in this show, essentially just a doll to be decked in accessories
[close]

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #2851 on: August 21, 2011, 11:29:51 AM »
Im sadly digging Alphas- oh well- it was either Alphas or re-runs of Diners Drive-Ins and Dives so I still win
o_0

Tucah

« Reply #2852 on: August 21, 2011, 12:40:19 PM »

Season 2 is much better - the overarching plot is more prominent and more interesting, characters from the first season become more fleshed out and the new characters introduced are amazing (particularly the head of the new family in the season, Mags Bennett. Hell, there's even a kid who doesn't annoy the shit out of me, a pretty big feat). I liked the first season but I love the show after the second.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2853 on: August 21, 2011, 01:58:57 PM »
given up on Ancient Aliens and started watching The Universe. it's a pretty cool show

and there's a really cut scientist on the show named Amy Mainzer :heart
nat

« Reply #2854 on: August 21, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »

I've completely skipped this season of Torchwood, is it worth catching up on? I hated the first two seasons but loved Children of Earth so I was willing to give the new season a shot but completely forgot about the show.

The new season is set up like Children of Earth, but it hasn't been nearly as good. Episode one and seven have been fantastic, but the ones in between bordered between meh and shit.
野球

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2855 on: August 22, 2011, 05:22:43 AM »
Kate Mulgrew on NTSF:SD:SUV. :lol :lol

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2856 on: August 22, 2011, 11:35:52 AM »
finished s4 of The Sopranos

Pauly killing the old lady was another reactive, dumb decision imo. meh

The season was alright. It seemed to be building up to something big only to diffuse things throughout the season. Killing off Ralph felt like a waste, as did the Carmine shit. I get why Tony called it off, but still...meh.

I couldn't help but cheer for Carmela in the finale. She's been shat on for 4 seasons, I'm glad she decided to finally say enough is enough. She's not the smartest woman, but she's a great, strong mother; many of her mannerisms remind me of my mom tbh. On one hand Tony gravitates towards a host of vapid bimbos, on the other hand he seems quite attracted to driven, professional women. Most of the professional women he fell for were fucked up in some way though, and needy.

Like in Goodfellas, every male (except Bobby, the big fat dude) treats their women like shit in this show, essentially just a doll to be decked in accessories
[close]
I love Carmela's performace in the Season 4 finale.  Especially the scene in the poolhouse/home theatre room and when Tony comes home to find his shit in the driveway. 

And to be honest, that whole episode was the most realistic depiction of their relationship.  Their relationship was a caricature up to that point. 

The show has good moments moving forward, but it's pretty boring really.  More shocking moments and forced character development. 

Dickie Dee

« Reply #2857 on: August 22, 2011, 03:43:51 PM »
I just always liked how the Sopranos will spend most of a season building up an obvious badass storyline any show would love to take to it's conclusion (slow build to a war with one of the other families, etc.) and then a few episodes before the finale they just let real life situations let it cool or fizzle.

No doubt it pissed the fuck out of the then dudebros watching it just wanting guys to get capped, but I loved it everytime.
___

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2858 on: August 22, 2011, 04:37:24 PM »
the tension building was one of the best parts of the show.  But sometimes the fizzling was so cheap that it pissed me off.  Season 4 and 5 are the best examples.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2859 on: August 24, 2011, 09:17:17 PM »
wow the new Breaking Bad was VERY good. The season opener was kind of iffy, but since then it's been quite a perfect slow burn imo

Tucah

« Reply #2860 on: August 24, 2011, 09:52:54 PM »
Yep, the first few episodes weren't the best but Breaking Bad is back to being awesome again.

I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Walt's such a boss.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #2861 on: August 24, 2011, 10:20:25 PM »
I'm still not liking this season of Breaking Bad. But maybe it's because I don't care enough to pay full attention.
AMC

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #2862 on: August 25, 2011, 09:33:49 AM »
After burning through Game of Thrones, the gf and I have started marathoning Breaking Bad, another show that I'd been meaning to watch that slipped to the back-burner. I'm actually surprised at how funny it can be (in a dark way, mind you). I think we're a few episodes into season 2 so far.
fek

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2863 on: August 25, 2011, 09:53:40 AM »
did you guys like GoT?

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #2864 on: August 25, 2011, 10:07:46 AM »
Loved it! After having seven seasons of The Shield to plow through, it was over terribly quick though.  :'(

I'm a big fan of letting shows get a backlog before we start them. Once I've seen an episode of something, I typically don't have the patience to wait and watch week to week. I'd rather have them all queued up and ready to watch in a batch.
fek

Tucah

« Reply #2865 on: August 25, 2011, 12:03:19 PM »
Loved GoT but I'm also a huge fan of the books.

etiolate

« Reply #2866 on: August 27, 2011, 02:04:25 AM »
Watching Wilfred on Hulu and it's pretty good.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #2867 on: August 27, 2011, 10:28:12 AM »
The latest Curb was hilarious :rofl
Drunk

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2868 on: August 27, 2011, 04:55:34 PM »
I'm still not liking this season of Breaking Bad. But maybe it's because I don't care enough to pay full attention.

Are you the one who knocks, Cajole?
:9

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2869 on: August 27, 2011, 05:07:14 PM »
Just realized I haven't seen the latest Breaking Bad ep afterall lol. I thought it was Shotgun, but there's one from last week I haven't seen. Icefilms being down has thrown me off; their backup server isn't being updated, but works:
http://vds.icefilms.info/

Dickie Dee

« Reply #2870 on: August 27, 2011, 05:10:50 PM »
torrents yo
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2871 on: August 27, 2011, 05:20:14 PM »
yea, I'll get it tonight most likely

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #2872 on: August 27, 2011, 05:22:56 PM »
Batman The Brave and the Bold is pretty entertaining in a Silver Age comics way.
Tonya

etiolate

« Reply #2873 on: August 27, 2011, 05:37:26 PM »
Since Sunny fizzled out maybe you all might check out Wilfred

[youtube=560,345]kY4jAcmey8k[/youtube]

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #2874 on: August 27, 2011, 05:41:27 PM »
wilfred tanks hard i think.  it starts off pretty good but just goes absolutely downhill.
Tonya

Himu

« Reply #2875 on: August 27, 2011, 09:56:12 PM »
Thanks for the Wilfred on Hulu heads up, etiolate. I was expecting them to just have three or so eps up but they have the entire first season. Will watch all of them tomorrow.
IYKYK

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #2876 on: August 27, 2011, 11:36:27 PM »

The League already filled that void (but I like Wilfred)
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2877 on: August 27, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
It's almost time for the annual "watch first two eps of Sunny on premier night, one is good one is meh. watch next week, bad ep. watch following week, ep is good, watch the next week, ep is bad. give up" ritual

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2878 on: August 28, 2011, 01:50:09 AM »
Steve Buscemi in The Sopranos S5 :o

currently watching the second ep, I'm liking this so far.

« Reply #2879 on: August 28, 2011, 01:55:08 AM »

We've already got The League and Archer.

:bow THE LEAGUE :bow2
:bow ARCHER :bow2
野球