Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2046138 times)

Bebpo

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #18000 on: October 22, 2020, 02:06:37 AM »
Finished Lovecraft Country.

Idk, it was fine but I just sorta tuned out from caring or being invested in any of the cast because the direction & writing was just all over the place. Also thought the main character's arc was kinda a shitty with that ending.

I hear the book is much, much better, so maybe I'll check it out. But tempted to just wiki it to see the differences.

*edit* Ok, read an article on the book differences. Yeah, that ending was stupid. Book ending sounds better.

Also reading up on critical reception, this is a good breakdown of a lot of the show's issues:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/19/arts/television/lovecraft-country-season-finale.html
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 03:13:07 AM by Bebpo »

paprikastaude

« Reply #18001 on: October 22, 2020, 12:01:48 PM »
https://twitter.com/SHO_Dexter/status/1316468804378079234

2020 just keeps getting worse :existential

Hope they don't forget to continue Lost and Scrubs: Med School  :obama

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18002 on: October 22, 2020, 12:22:09 PM »
bring back da wire  :ohhh

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18003 on: October 23, 2020, 02:35:27 AM »
Enjoying Veronica Mars on Amazon Prime Japan. This show should not have been canceled if Mentalist and Elementary each got over a half dozen seasons. Picked up the kickstarted movie sequel.

Am unsure if I should spend any hope on season 4, produced for HULU.

I watched all of season four now, and it was all right. I wish I had stopped at the movie, which acted as a perfect book and for the story. Season four was good, not great. Because it was made for premium TV, things got more sexy (with some partial nudity), and considerably more violent (including some decapitations). Neither of these things made it feel particularly more like Veronica Mars. It actually made it feel a little sad, because the show has always been dark, but most of the darkness had been left on the periphery.

Hulu has announced that they do not have plans to carry-on with a season 5. The wrap up for season 4 was satisfying, but overly sad in some ways, and overly convenient and trite in others.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #18004 on: October 23, 2020, 02:56:01 AM »
Where is Euphoria?

Finishing up final 2 eps of original (s3) Veronica Mars. How did this get canceled? It’s so much fun.

I would stop at season 3 because the movie and season 4 are bad

:bolo

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #18005 on: October 24, 2020, 03:25:40 PM »
Just when I start thinking that TV is starting to suck and I havn't seen anything good in a while, The Queen's Gambit on Netflix is really good.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18006 on: October 25, 2020, 10:49:02 AM »
Watching Amazon's HANNA. This is really fucking cool. I loved the movie, but I really like Joel Kinnaman and the woman in the deuteragonist role is very good.

I would stop at season 3 because the movie and season 4 are bad

:bolo

I really liked the movie. Logan goes from the most hated villain of s1 to tragic hero in s3 and cements it in the movie. He's the Racer X/Green Ranger of the series. I'm advising other fans to stop with the movie. S4 is good but atonal to s1~3.

team filler

• filler
  • filler

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18008 on: November 07, 2020, 06:05:10 PM »
ep1 s2 of baby yoda chronicles was just graboids reboot, but p cool  8)

ep2 was baby yoda meets the facehuggers but jk they're really just spiders  ::)

Bebpo

« Reply #18009 on: November 09, 2020, 04:15:07 AM »
Finished watching Euphoria. Finale was ok, not one of the stronger episodes. Could've wrapped up more.

I think the highs of this show are A++, lots of great touching character stuff.
The lows were like angsty teen drama.

Levinson's is a great scene dialogue writer & real good director with fantastic style & music choices. Rue's monologue's are fucking poetic. The actresses also range but a lot are excellent as are the guys.

Otoh, I don't think Levinson's a great plot writer/storyteller and falls on too many teen drama cliches. I read an interview after the finale and he says he doesn't outline because he gets bored so he just takes it as it goes, which can be good & bad. Good in that it makes the character interactions feel more memorable, but bad in that the narrative backbone isn't that strong.

Still, liked it a lot and I will be there day 1 for the specials and S2 whenever they can film it.

Also ain't gonna front, Sydney Sweeney is insanely attractive in this :whew

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #18010 on: November 09, 2020, 07:09:38 AM »
Im watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, on season 6 now.

Pretty curious to see hoe they end it all
What

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Quaker

« Reply #18012 on: November 25, 2020, 02:45:12 AM »
Anyone seen Gomorrah?

I started it up after HBO added it recently since I’ve seen pretty much everything else I’ve wanted from this year.

Basically, I’m pretty impressed so far but I’m worried there will be a steep drop off coming. I’m up to nearly the end of the first season so far.

Tasty

« Reply #18013 on: November 25, 2020, 07:56:20 AM »
Im watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, on season 6 now.

Pretty curious to see hoe they end it all

Omggggg you cannot just drop that on me lmao. What are your thoughts on the show so far?? Seasons? Characters? Any fave moments?

Clearly you seem to like it if you made it through six seasons, or at least I hope so. :)

For me personally, season 5 was the tops, and 6 and 7 don't quite measure up but they're still solid. Season 7 is pretty messy but it stuck the landing IMO.

If you're interested, there exists canonical comics for "Seasons" 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 that continue the story after the show. Also a rollercoaster of quality but still a lot of fun.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18014 on: November 25, 2020, 08:16:06 AM »
One of the comics seasons of Buffy has a pretty great joke about that seasons Big Bad being called Twilight

Tasty

« Reply #18015 on: November 25, 2020, 08:40:21 AM »
One of the comics seasons of Buffy has a pretty great joke about that seasons Big Bad being called Twilight

Unfortunately that was originally meant to be played straight -- while the original novel Twilight was released in 2005, I'm pretty sure the writers were unaware of it or it wasn't as big a hit until the 2008 movie (one year after Season 8 was written.)

IMO it's more of a weird coincidence. I wonder if any of the writers got interviewed about this, hold on...

Edit- Via an unsourced random Wikia:

Buffy's writer Joss Whedon confirmed he came up with the characters name before he heard of the Twilight Saga.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 08:46:51 AM by Tasty »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18016 on: November 25, 2020, 09:06:01 AM »
http://twitter.com/expanseonprime/status/1331281426520662017
No Alex though...  :-\
I wonder if he'll be killed off-screen, or if they already filmed his depart in S5.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18017 on: November 25, 2020, 09:38:31 AM »
医者that

Oops
Is that confirmed?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #18018 on: November 25, 2020, 11:47:55 AM »
医者that

Oops
Is that confirmed?
Yes, because of some metoo stuff. (dunno how serious, tbh i didn't look into it much).

https://screenrant.com/expanse-season-6-cas-anvar-not-returning/

EDIT: Quick look, it seems to be a bunch of failed attempts of getting in some nerd-fans pants, as well as him bothering some production people with the same shit.
He types like an abolute idiot in those DMs, if i'm being honest.
A couple of accounts seem a bit of a stretch bandwagoning (he touched my neck while we were taking a photo!) But in most of the screenshots they did show, he does indeed come off as a desperate sleezeball, and i can see him being a pain in the ass on set, for that reason (if you're constantly being hit on by this guy).
But again, it was a quick look, and they had a 3rd party investigation anyhow.  :yeshrug
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 12:11:20 PM by Don Rumata »

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #18019 on: November 27, 2020, 03:45:02 PM »
Where's TVC, there is rumors of a third Riget season. 23 years later

Tasty

« Reply #18020 on: November 28, 2020, 02:57:58 PM »
MM's new avatar :rejoice

Tasty

« Reply #18021 on: November 28, 2020, 03:13:36 PM »

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #18022 on: November 29, 2020, 03:16:37 AM »
finally finished preacher, what a garbage ending  :maf was the show pretty faithful to the comic?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18023 on: November 29, 2020, 08:15:21 AM »
finally finished preacher, what a garbage ending  :maf was the show pretty faithful to the comic?

It hit a lot of the same story beats, but not necessarily in the same order or with the same people involved, and skipped some stuff and added some new stuff.

They dial down what a scumbag piece of shit Cassidy is quite a lot in the TV show, for example, but all of the Hitler stuff was a new addition.

Tasty

« Reply #18024 on: November 29, 2020, 08:13:34 PM »
Been watching the Nu Saved By The Bell and I'm not sure the wink wink lol Saved By The Bell so corny right omg lmao tone works well with the themes of institutional racism  and class struggles

I didn't even know this was a thing until Google informed me the network apologized for one of the jokes already. :lol Apparently Selena Gomez had a kidney transplant?

Also making fun of people with organ transplants is a thing...?? ???

Tasty

« Reply #18025 on: November 29, 2020, 08:46:01 PM »
That sounds like a recipe for tonal whiplash. :doge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18026 on: November 29, 2020, 09:26:43 PM »
good ol zach attack  :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18027 on: December 05, 2020, 09:46:32 AM »
At cormacaroni's suggestion, I am watching Ted Lasso on AppleTV+
It's well-edited, well-shot, and charming. I also laughed aloud several times.
Recommended.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #18028 on: December 07, 2020, 03:04:44 PM »
Haven't yet started Ted Lasso, but I just finished Long Way Up and enjoyed it a fair bit, maybe even more than the previous two series.  The captured visuals were fantastic, and it probably helps that using electric bikes kind of forced Charlie and Ewan to set aside time to take more detours to interesting people and places.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #18029 on: December 08, 2020, 07:58:45 AM »
We watched Julia Davis comedy Sally4Ever. I don't think she should be allowed to make tv shows. Nobody needs to see a woman giving a guy a blowjob while he shits on her in front of his wife and child, or Sean Bean and beds full of puke and shit. It's upsetting.

Borealis

« Reply #18030 on: December 08, 2020, 08:37:51 AM »
Utopia (UK) was top notch, loved the colour palette too and kind of disappointed there won't be a third season.

Don't think I'll bother with the Amazon/US adaption.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #18031 on: December 08, 2020, 09:02:08 AM »
I'm up to the final episode of The Undoing on Prime Video... it's OK, feels like an extended, more drawn out, Law and Order episode though.
^_^

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18032 on: December 08, 2020, 10:56:04 AM »
Utopia (UK) was top notch, loved the colour palette too and kind of disappointed there won't be a third season.

Don't think I'll bother with the Amazon/US adaption.

The US version is - at best - superfluous, and if you need more discincentive is cancelled anwyay, so its a one season and done with things that will never be resolved.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18033 on: December 08, 2020, 02:55:29 PM »
We watched Julia Davis comedy Sally4Ever. I don't think she should be allowed to make tv shows. Nobody needs to see a woman giving a guy a blowjob while he shits on her in front of his wife and child, or Sean Bean and beds full of puke and shit. It's upsetting.
:drool

Nuitangg

« Reply #18034 on: December 08, 2020, 05:17:20 PM »
Sally4Ever was amazing.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #18035 on: December 08, 2020, 07:57:27 PM »
What I like about Davis is she puts out stuff that would get most shows banned, but somehow she gets away with it

Bebpo

« Reply #18036 on: December 13, 2020, 04:32:11 AM »
Got around to the Euphora special. Was nice. Some good acting chops and the dialogue in this show during monologues feels kinda good Sorkin-ish.

I do hope Covid doesn't fuck this show. That they were a week away from shooting S2 when it got shut down and who knows when it'll get restarted sucks for a new show that has a lot of stuff going for it.

Looking forward to the second special.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18037 on: December 17, 2020, 11:30:33 PM »
Watched the first episode of Derry Girls:  Wow that was hilarious. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18038 on: December 18, 2020, 04:21:35 AM »
Finally getting around to Locke and Key. It's surprisingly suspenseful -- and dark -- for what feels like should be a YA novel.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #18039 on: December 18, 2020, 05:56:42 AM »
Finally getting around to Locke and Key. It's surprisingly suspenseful -- and dark -- for what feels like should be a YA novel.

The comic is really good (its written by Stephen Kings kid) but I skipped the adaptation because of its YA vibes, and the lack of hype meaning it might be another of those Netflix never-finishers

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18040 on: December 18, 2020, 09:29:24 PM »
Three episodes in and I'm pretty sure Derry Girls is going to be considered a British comedy classic for a long time.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18041 on: December 21, 2020, 08:44:05 PM »

The comic is really good (its written by Stephen Kings kid) but I skipped the adaptation because of its YA vibes, and the lack of hype meaning it might be another of those Netflix never-finishers

Yeah, I looked into that as well. It strikes me as funny that Stephen King’s son, if asked about his heritage, would claim he “is only joking.“

The story all very much feels like Harry Potter as written by Stephen King.

Tasty

« Reply #18042 on: December 21, 2020, 10:52:10 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #18043 on: December 21, 2020, 10:54:27 PM »
We're never getting that new Buffyverse series are we. :shaq2

https://twitter.com/monicabreen/status/1022507356964278272

2.5 years of goddamn nothing :rage

Tasty

« Reply #18044 on: December 21, 2020, 10:59:46 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchstone_Television#History

Oh.

Disney dissolved the studio working on it this month (Fox 21 / Touchstone Television.)

Joss is also being slow-motion #cancelled by Ray Fischer and was attached too.

Guess that's fucking that. :rage

Bebpo

« Reply #18045 on: December 21, 2020, 11:03:26 PM »

Yeah, I looked into that as well. It strikes me as funny that Stephen King’s son, if asked about his heritage, would claim he “is only joking.“

The story all very much feels like Harry Potter as written by Stephen King.

Hmmmmmmmm, maybe this YA-fied show version?

I didn't watch the show, but the comic is super grim dark edgy. I liked it but it definitely was borderline too edgy Mark Miller-ish for me. I've read a few things from Joe Hill and I'm not a fan of his writing style. I thought Horns was kind of fun/interesting, but mostly the movie because Daniel Radcliff rocks.

Tasty

« Reply #18046 on: December 21, 2020, 11:06:46 PM »

As part of the streamlining of studio operations, Disney will fold Touchstone Television, previously known as Fox 21 Television Studios. Bert Salke, longtime head of that unit, will leave the company, transitioning into a producer deal.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18047 on: December 22, 2020, 07:17:33 AM »
I'm suprised Disney wouldnt want a new Buffy.  CW basically made an entire network of shows out of Buffy derivatives. 

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #18048 on: December 22, 2020, 07:32:45 AM »
probably don't wanna deal with the king of soy now that his name is dirt for starters :trumps
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #18049 on: December 22, 2020, 10:11:04 AM »
I'm glad they could finish Homeland before the Mouse wrecked their shit :tocry

This is probably just the tip of the iceberg though.
🤴

Tasty

Bebpo

« Reply #18051 on: December 22, 2020, 07:56:46 PM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/his-dark-materials-renewed-for-third-and-final-season-at-hbo-bbc

Hmm guess I can finally get into this now.

I remember when S1 came out people were pretty down on this coming from the books as an adaptation. It looks big budget and I like the cast, but that killed any interest. Haven't heard anything about S2 at all.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18052 on: December 22, 2020, 08:01:55 PM »
I heard S2 is better

Snoopycat_

« Reply #18053 on: December 22, 2020, 08:49:47 PM »
Gomorrah is a good show for this time of year. The tacky shit the mafia bosses decorate their houses with would make Tony Montana flinch

Tasty

« Reply #18054 on: December 23, 2020, 11:59:27 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #18055 on: December 23, 2020, 02:39:53 PM »
https://deadline.com/2020/12/sex-and-the-city-limited-reboot-hbo-max-1234660899/

I thought all these bitches turned on each other after the second movie bombed :mindblown

Tasty

« Reply #18056 on: December 23, 2020, 03:09:37 PM »
https://variety.com/2020/tv/opinion/covid-19-productions-mythic-quest-tom-cruise-1234868226/

Several crew members on the set of Lionsgate’s “Mythic Quest: Raven’s Banquet” at the CBS Radford lot in Studio City — which reported that at least one dozen workers had tested positive — were livid with show creator and star Rob McElhenney after he sent a message to the staff saying, “There remains ZERO evidence of any transmission at work,” insisting that “our set continues to be one of the safest places you can be outside of your homes.”

Math is a LIAR sometimes!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #18057 on: December 23, 2020, 10:50:44 PM »
Derry Girls is so damn good

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #18058 on: December 24, 2020, 04:08:00 AM »
I remember when S1 came out people were pretty down on this coming from the books as an adaptation. It looks big budget and I like the cast, but that killed any interest. Haven't heard anything about S2 at all.

I quite liked season 2. I read the first two books when they came out but only sort of half remember the big plot points, so idk if they are doing a good job at adapting it, but its been consistently entertaining imo. The low point probably being in season 1 where the different plot lines took a bit to cohere into one story. also given that the anti-religious sentiments of the series becomes much more blatant in S2 it is a show that benefits tremendously from watching on a streaming site with a comment section:

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18059 on: December 24, 2020, 01:43:07 PM »
watched ep 4 of new seas the expanse. not caring too much for new seas so far. ep 4 had some horrible family drama shid with naomi and her babydaddy and the kid  :yuck with those stupid accents it was the worst   :trash sounded like a family of deaf people on maury  :lol