Author Topic: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads  (Read 829844 times)

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads
« Reply #4321 on: July 27, 2017, 10:11:10 AM »
Savage Dragon #225: THIS IS IT!  THE 100 PAGE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SPECTACULAR AND CONCLUSION TO THE BIG EVENT THAT NOBODY IS READING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---

This probably won't make too much sense if you haven't read the last...10-15 years of TSD, but lol whatever n' stuff- will try to summarize as briefly as possible.

-Mr. Glum is a little red devil-looking fellow from another dimension who lived with the original Dragon and his family back when his kids were little.  He was kind of a joke character, but wound up actually being a planet-conquering tyrant. 

-Angel is Malcolm Dragon's step sister.  She came from the original earth with Dragon and Malcolm after her mom was killed (except no, not really) on the original earth.  There was also an Angel on the new earth who became evil and started living with Mr. Glum.  She was killed off later on.  Oh, and Angel had a three way with Malcolm and his wife, got pregnant, and now they raise her kid.  Because Larsen is a horny bugger. 

-Damien Darklord is another tyrant-kind of villain and conquered multiple earths, making them into "utopias," although he still did lots of bad shit.  He was responsible for making O.G. Dragon's wife disappear and is part of the reason why the other earth blew up, IIRC.

So onto the current story: Mr. Glum misses having Angel like him, so he finds Darklord's stronghold and comes up with a plan to merge all the various alternate realities together, thinking it will merge Angel with a version of herself in love with him.  This makes everyone get memories from other versions of themselves, remembering having relationships with people they never had, murdering family/friends, etc.  Darklord finds this out and gets pissed, goes to Earth and fucks everyone up, and blames the Dragons.  Then he finds out it was Glum and they battle briefly.  Glum tells Angel he did it for her, but she hates him for being a scummy little dictator piece of shit, so he pulls out a gun and seemingly kills himself.  Meanwhile, O.G. Dragon (who apparently is now named "Paul."  PAUL DRAGON!) drinks a vial of his son's blood, which restores his powers and beats the shit out of Darklord, finally stopping him.  But Malcolm's blood is too much for people to handle, so he explodes and then is shown going to heaven, where a group of nubile women are waiting for him.  Um...OK.  Meanwhile, Mr. Glum is shown to actually be alive and back on his home planet.  He cuts open the stomach of a dead Jennifer Dragon (Forgot to mention her- this is PAUL Dragon's formerly presumed dead wife who was actually kept in cryo for 17 years.  Anyway, is this a clone?  Alternate reality Jennifer?  Who knows!  Can't remember!) , takes out an alive baby Angel, and walks off saying he'll have a relationship with her.  Um...OK...?

And what's next?  DONALD TRUMP.  Trump will pop up in the next issue, make 'Murica hate Malcolm Dragon for being an Alien-halfbreed-whatsis, and then he's gonna take his family and move to Canada in #127.  Um...OK?  :dizzy
ど助平

Shuri

« Reply #4322 on: July 27, 2017, 03:38:21 PM »
That Punisher is War Machine thread on neogaf has already turned into a clusterfuck.

- Slayven pretending that War Machine was a major character  ???
- People talking about The Punisher being some weird racist icon  :doge .. I mean, considering how many times The Punisher has obliterated racist groups over the years in the various storylines  :lol

I guess that yeah, the whole Skull Logo is popular with gun nuts Because of  the concept of "vigilante showing no mercy to criminals", but all that merch you see for sales on ebay/flea market is unauthorized third party stuff..

Anyhow, the idea is pure nineties cheese, i'm not sure what Marvel is thinking these days

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4323 on: July 28, 2017, 10:04:23 AM »
That Punisher is War Machine thread on neogaf has already turned into a clusterfuck.

- Slayven pretending that War Machine was a major character  ???
- People talking about The Punisher being some weird racist icon  :doge .. I mean, considering how many times The Punisher has obliterated racist groups over the years in the various storylines  :lol

I guess that yeah, the whole Skull Logo is popular with gun nuts Because of  the concept of "vigilante showing no mercy to criminals", but all that merch you see for sales on ebay/flea market is unauthorized third party stuff..

Anyhow, the idea is pure nineties cheese, i'm not sure what Marvel is thinking these days

They took it right from an early 90s What If comic! :lol  Which reminds me...that What If comic was a two parter and was about an evil Steve Rogers becoming president of the U.S. and taking over with a Nazi-like regime (it was actually the Red Skull with a face change), who was then opposed by a set of Avengers formed by the real Captain America.  So it's like they took this concept and turned it into Secret Empire, with some obvious changes.  :lol :-\

Marvel needs to A) stop with the dumb crossover "WORLD SHATTERING EVENT" stuff where it's just superheroes fighting each other (time to build up the villains, guys) and B) also quit it with the 'Social Justice Warrior' crap dictating how certain characters are depicted or who they get to write the books with.  Then there's C) which is to accept that fans like the X-Men and attempts to replace them aren't going to work.  Deal with it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:25:33 AM by Dosukebe »
ど助平

Freyj

« Reply #4324 on: July 29, 2017, 01:39:40 PM »
Is Titans 2016 worth a damn? I'm thinking of skipping it, catching up on Batman / Detective instead.

Tasty

« Reply #4325 on: July 29, 2017, 02:05:04 PM »
Is Titans 2016 worth a damn? I'm thinking of skipping it, catching up on Batman / Detective instead.

The art puts me off and I haven't kept up with it. I would suggest Detective if you're hard up for time.

Freyj

« Reply #4326 on: July 29, 2017, 03:28:21 PM »

The art puts me off and I haven't kept up with it. I would suggest Detective if you're hard up for time.

I've been trying to catch up on everything good before The Button, but haven't found much that comes close to Supes / Action / Batman / Detective. Maybe Super Sons I guess.

What about Trinity / Justice League?

Tasty

« Reply #4327 on: July 29, 2017, 03:46:25 PM »
Dunno, my backlog has gotten pretty big since Rebirth hit. Basically only kept up with Detective and Superman. :goty

Freyj

« Reply #4328 on: July 30, 2017, 02:03:31 PM »
I really don't like whatever it is that makes the faces in Batman Rebirth look CGI. It's incredibly off putting. I think I saw the same thing in Secret Wars at some point.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #4329 on: July 31, 2017, 12:18:51 AM »
Justice League is all over the place because it's Hitch. It's nowhere near as cohesive as when Johns was writing it during New 52. And it's barely barely even keeping up with what's going on in the other books.

#15-20 was the only good storyline out of it so far (and he actually fucked up by not making the Flash-centric storyline after it come before it and tie them together rather than standalone), and it ties into stuff from a number of books before (back in New 52 even) and is part of a setup for stuff forward that will eventually be BIG DC REBIRTH REVEAL related. The Infinity Corporation, Infinity Stones, Legion of Super Heroes, etc.

The spin-off book Justice League of America (featuring American heroes Vixen and Lobo...wait) has been better if a little still hashing itself out. Actual characters for the most part, lower scale threats/action. The idea being a Justice League that humans can relate to since like most of the other JL are gods and all and also characters Batman sees redemptive qualities in aka reasons to stick them all somewhere rather than forget they exist. (Again, ignore Lobo please.)

Arguably the worst part of Hitch's run so far has been his refusal to make Batman not be an illogical jerkass to the neo-Superman guy even though THEY'VE MADE UP ALREADY, AND IN THE SAME BOOK. And now they've merged and all that but Batman's still like I DON'T KNOW YOU, EXCEPT FOR EVERYTHING BEING THE SAME EXCEPT YOU'RE OLDER, BTW DO YOU HAVE ANY SPACE/GOD METAL I CAN IMMEDIATELY TURN OVER TO A GLOBAL TERRORIST ORGANIZATION INTENT ON WIPING OUT HUMANITY?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4330 on: August 02, 2017, 03:32:22 PM »
http://www.comicsbeat.com/tilting-at-windmills-261-marvel-comics-and-the-deck-chairs-of-the-titanic/

Right now “fancy” covers are trying to cover a multitude of underlying problems with the actual core product.  This is not the first time such a thing has been tried, and I still have vivid memories of the last time when the entire market almost collapsed when the customers woke up one day and said “this is shit, we don’t want this any more”.  I wish I can remember who it was, but I remember talking to a retailer who told me they had built a literal chair out of the leftover copies of “Adventures of Superman #500” they had; with similar stories about just how many unsold and unsalable copies of “Turok” #1 were left over.  Those who don’t know their history are doomed to repeat it, and while I’m hopefully we’ve wised up as a class to not fall down that same rabbit hole again, when I see Marvel’s August plans, added to DC’s August books with foil covers (three), Lenticulars (two) and even a glow-in-the-dark cover I think “Damn, we’re there again, where greed and glitz has overwhelmed common sense.”  That time of the crash and the few years after it was dire for comics, and this time is likely to be significantly worse, as we don’t have a core of books selling at 100k or more to keep things propped up.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #4331 on: August 02, 2017, 03:48:04 PM »
I used to love the Savage Dragon back when I was a kid.
serge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4332 on: August 02, 2017, 04:20:58 PM »
Didn't he recently have a threesome with his sister or some shit?
©@©™

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #4333 on: August 02, 2017, 04:22:14 PM »
Didn't he recently have a threesome with his sister or some shit?

Trying to reel me back in?
serge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4334 on: August 02, 2017, 05:08:18 PM »
Yeah, it was a thing for a little while there.  It was like Erik Larsen just turned into a dirty old man.

-Threesome with Angel, his step-sister (more than once)
-Angel has a baby and gives it to Dragon and Maxine to raise
-Tierra (the black chick), gets them to have a foursome, secretly films it, gets pregnant, refuses to abort, tries to sell the tape and fails, and then the baby bursts from her stomach, killing her and skulking off.
-Sometimes there was super-heroing going on!
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #4335 on: August 02, 2017, 05:47:34 PM »
I've seen some minor Twitter drama about the latest Superman #28. Basically Clark tells his son about the Vietnam War from an American perspective.

I'm just sitting here like... yeah? Clark's American. He stands for "truth, justice, and the American way."™

Certainly there's been a handful of times he's spoken out against the US, and he is a global figure (both in our world and his), but I don't see much wrong with giving a textbook American history lesson to an American kid. :yeshrug

Edit- Double checked and it's just a mention of American casualties in Vietnam. That's it. 🙄
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 06:35:47 PM by Tasty Meat »

benjipwns

« Reply #4336 on: August 02, 2017, 05:51:20 PM »
There was a rumor that some of DC's recent cover glut is related to the contracts they have with artists where they "hold" onto them by having them do covers since they don't have a book to work on, whereas if they don't have work for them they're allowed to work with other companies. So they tell them to make a bunch of covers. The Batman ones are basically interchangeable and could be put on literally any of the books as only the main covers are ever related to what's inside. I think one of the recent Justice League ones didn't even have an accurate roster.

Obviously this only applies to the variants, not all the embossed crap and other magic the 1990s produced and is returning like everything else from the 1990s.

Tasty

« Reply #4337 on: August 02, 2017, 05:52:52 PM »
Wouldn't surprise me.

Though it would be super weird for DC to have artists with nothing to do since they're double-shipping life half their line and always seem to be switching out artists on the fly to get them out on time. :thinking

benjipwns

« Reply #4338 on: August 02, 2017, 06:00:16 PM »
Might have a number of those fill-in artists sitting around doing covers until they realize Batman needs someone to do two issues or something. Or they might have signed up more artists than they needed due to fearing that, and wound up with a pile of a hundred covers they now contractually have to get rid of.

The tier system of orders might even be a way to avoid having to print most of them until they stick them in the back of the TPB's. "Oh man, preorders didn't come in for enough, sorry [artist]." :patel

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #4339 on: August 04, 2017, 02:11:52 AM »
Yeah, it was a thing for a little while there.  It was like Erik Larsen just turned into a dirty old man.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

-Threesome with Angel, his step-sister (more than once)
-Angel has a baby and gives it to Dragon and Maxine to raise
-Tierra (the black chick), gets them to have a foursome, secretly films it, gets pregnant, refuses to abort, tries to sell the tape and fails, and then the baby bursts from her stomach, killing her and skulking off.
-Sometimes there was super-heroing going on!

benjipwns

« Reply #4340 on: August 04, 2017, 08:01:18 AM »
one thing led to another and not only did I re-read 52* but now I'm reading Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run partly because I never read the whole thing which introduces Constaintine

i still say those sex pages are nonsensical trash that much like Watchmen people only rave about because nobody had done it before

also, I realized some of this is Moore's most obvious "author is from the UK" British Invasion era work, literally four issues are John Constantine sending Swamp Thing on missions to confront regular everyday American ills like the legacy of slavery, the dangers of nuclear power generation and the horrors of unemployment in mining towns :lol

*if i could write any kind of DC comic, it'd be something like this meets Gotham Central (which it sorta did for part), with the multiple, sometimes up to eight, ongoing plot threads, all sorts of random characters being used well, all the major DC characters (except Luthor) being only off-panel, having brief guest appearances or used to show the "tiers" of the people within the universe that come more from the popularity of the books than any actual representation with their powers/capabilities/actions/etc. though i'd probably use the main DC characters more simply to setup events and repercussions and require it to be its own universe

spoiler (click to show/hide)
also following the Crime Bible stuff into the Rucka 52 follow-up miniseries I had never read, led me back to Final Crisis for its conclusion and ultimately Morrison's suggested reading order is sorta wrong because it only includes his books...not only should Legion of Three Worlds probably be included, but Revelations needs to be and it's a shame DC will never collect them this way, even the Absolute volume doesn't collect Morrison's order which leaves the Batman plot hole

Revelations takes place entirely during "The Day Evil Won" and Darkseid triumphed, and involves Vandal Savage's return to his original status as Cain with the Spear of Destiny (this all makes sense in the context of being the endpoint of the Crime Bible/Renee Montoya story that starts in 52 along with the Batwoman and Huntress stories he did earlier), and also leaves the Spectre (who once rebooted the universe and is powered by God) powerless because the Christian God (The Prescience) has abandoned the universe because the ultimate battle of the Multiverse (Final Crisis) is also the decision point of free will, not good vs. evil (which fixes one of Morrison's rushed points about Darkseid as a literal god, not a mere supervillian, he's not "evil" truly)

the best part is Rucka puts all this recap setup in one issue: Darkseid has won, anti-life is everywhere, Cain has risen, he has claimed the Spectre's power and enslaved him by stabbing him with the Spear of Destiny, oh btw, he did this because God's totally bailed out, you're all on your own...and Renee Montoya, a formerly alcoholic disgraced cop, has to somehow take the Spear from the immortal who now has made his power near infinite or the Batman Gambit happening over in Final Crisis won't even matter and the only help she really has is the Huntress who is so religious she's also been broken emotionally by the abandonment of God and she already had enough issues with being a consistent hero

and their "plan" works
Huntress gets brutally stabbed to death by an anti-life possessed Catwoman while Cain impales Renee on the Spear
[close]
[close]
[close]

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4341 on: August 04, 2017, 04:21:40 PM »

just quoting for this new page because it's actually really really well done

Freyj

« Reply #4342 on: August 05, 2017, 12:39:15 PM »
I'm pretty close to catching up on most of the DC stuff I care about and I'm currently going through All Star Batman.

The super stylized / simplistic art in the Cursed Wheel bits at the end of each All Star Batman is 20x more appealing than whatever's being done in Batman.

Freyj

« Reply #4343 on: August 06, 2017, 12:50:00 PM »
Superman is consistently 10/10. 

Tasty

« Reply #4344 on: August 06, 2017, 01:41:58 PM »
Superman is consistently 10/10.

Preach.

Purple Filth

« Reply #4345 on: August 10, 2017, 05:58:00 PM »
After doing some more reading and going over The Watchmen i'm now hyped for Doomsday Clock.

:rejoice

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #4346 on: August 10, 2017, 06:09:36 PM »
After doing some more reading and going over The Watchmen i'm now hyped for Doomsday Clock.

The comic, or IRL?
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #4347 on: August 10, 2017, 06:11:26 PM »
Imagine if the release of Doomsday Clock coincided with the actual doomsday clock hitting midnight... :ohhh

Geoff Johns the god :rejoice

Purple Filth

« Reply #4348 on: August 10, 2017, 09:47:56 PM »

The comic, or IRL?

Comic for now  :doge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4349 on: August 10, 2017, 10:02:44 PM »
Marvel musings:

Amazing Spider-Man #31: The end of Parker Industries.  You'd think it was the Superior Octopus that took them down, but nope:
It was Spider-Man himself.  Ock was going to seize control of all their data, so Peter issues a contingency plan he made that gets all the staff to erase everything and upload a virus that kills anything PI-related.  This is a tie-in to Secret Empire (although it takes place in China, so no real Hydra presence), and at the end, we see Ock reporting back to Hydra, who congratulate him on PI being no more.
[close]
  Next issue looks to be more Norman Osborne stuff...I'm just waiting to see what happens with Peter and the Daily Bugle. 

Captain America #25: No more Sam Wilson and Steve Rogers books- it's just one single comic now.  Sam Wilson is Captain America again and a big reveal is that
Namor found Bucky, assumed to be killed
[close]
at the beginning of Secret Empire.  And he has a plan to take down Steve.

Secret Wars #8: Another "FINALLY, SHIT IS HAPPENING" issue.  We see the shield around the earth come down so the heroes in space can join the fight.  The dark force shield over NYC is removed.  More heroes come together to go kick Steve's ass, basically.  And then we get something incredibly stupid- a new Inhuman called Barf who can think of objects and then vomit them up.  So they have him vomit up a cosmic cube fragment.  :lol :dizzy 

I still am not big on Secret EMPIRE.  This really should have been a year or even multi-year long event, kind of like Dark Reign, with books focusing on the various characters dealing with a Hydra-controlled USA.  They should have taken their time with this one.  But whatever; Marvel is already moving on as usual...Generations comics are already coming out.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 11:57:13 AM by Dosukebe »
ど助平

Purple Filth

« Reply #4350 on: August 11, 2017, 11:20:36 AM »
Marvel musings:

Amazing Spider-Man #31: The end of Parker Industries.  You'd think it was the Superior Octopus that took them down, but nope:
It was Spider-Man himself.  Ock was going to seize control of all their data, so Peter issues a contingency plan he made that gets all the staff to erase everything and upload a virus that kills anything PI-related.  This is a tie-in to Secret Empire (although it takes place in China, so no real Hydra presence), and at the end, we see Ock reporting back to Hydra, who congratulate him on PI being no more.
[close]
  Next issue looks to be more Norman Osborne stuff...I'm just waiting to see what happens with Peter and the Daily Bugle. 

Captain America #25: No more Sam Wilson and Steve Rogers books- it's just one single comic now.  Sam Wilson is Captain America again and a big reveal is that
Namor found Bucky, assumed to be killed
[close]
at the beginning of Secret Empire.  And he has a plan to take down Steve.

Secret Wars #8: Another "FINALLY, SHIT IS HAPPENING" issue.  We see the shield around the earth come down so the heroes in space can join the fight.  The dark force shield over NYC is removed.  More heroes come together to go kick Steve's ass, basically.  And then we get something incredibly stupid- a new Inhuman called Barf who can think of objects and then vomit them up.  So they have him vomit up a cosmic cube fragment.  :lol :dizzy 

I still am not big on Secret Wars.  This really should have been a year or even multi-year long event, kind of like Dark Reign, with books focusing on the various characters dealing with a Hydra-controlled USA.  They should have taken their time with this one.  But whatever; Marvel is already moving on as usual...Generations comics are already coming out.

You mean Secret Empire.  :doge

Still sounds like crazy stuff (in the bad way).

I wonder how's that gonna feel or look when the guy who had a multi-billion dollar operation in the public's eyes (iirc we know doc ock falsified it but still) is back to beg for his old job back  :lol :lol :lol :lol :-\

benjipwns

« Reply #4351 on: August 12, 2017, 05:42:35 AM »
Some non-Metal DC stuff:
We always knew Grant would be doing Wonder Woman: Earth One Vol. 2. That’s been in production now for about six to eight months with Yanick. They’ve got about 40 to 50 pages of art done.
But Arkham Asylum 2 is something Grant’s been talking to us about for a while. It’s a story he’s been wanting to tell. He never thought he would, but he finally felt he got the right spin for it. It really is more of an extension of his Batman run. It’s not something that stands apart from the line — it actually makes sense if you follow the continuity he was creating with Batman and Damian back to #666.
but are they going to let him do The Multiversity Too?!? that's what i want

Also, from the former writer of Nightwing:
he upcoming alternate universe mini series Nightwing: The New Order intends to do. Taking place in an alternative future, the story pits Dick Grayson against the super heroic community as the spearhead of an initiative to make metahuman abilities illegal, despite the potentially disastrous cost.
It takes place in the year 2040

So, at a certain point — and I don’t want to spoil too much — but Dick, during a big battle, made a decision and detonated a device the neutralized 90% of the world’s superpowers. He did this to save the world in that moment. Afterwards, though…that’s a slippery slope. Powers became illegal in the United States, so if you were in that 10% that still hand them, you had to register and go on inhibitor meds. And if the inhibitor meds didn’t work — super rare, but still could happen — you were put into stasis, until the doctors could figure out how to counteract the powers. So, again, very, very slippery slope.

DiDio and Lee confirmed that the recent reshuffle of Mark Doyle (he's been the top editor of everything Batman related since around Zero Year) was to rebuild the Vertigo line, which had kinda fallen apart since they imported a bunch of those writers into the main DC books like Snyder and others came to an end while New 52 was going on, and they expect a lot of new stuff to be announced in 2018. Was getting kinda ugh about all the non-cape books seemingly all coming from Image anymore. DC rebuilding Vertigo will help a lot with that since they can take more risk. I mean, don't get me wrong, Image's model is great and needed and everything, but they also can't crack the whip on someone deciding to put a title on TBD status, maybe forever, because Trump won and they don't want to write for a country that could do that. (Unless it's their dream book that this one certainly had no similarities to and that they're now writing dual plotlines in for its twice monthly publication.) Vertigo might ask them to at least complete the current story arc before a hiatus.

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #4353 on: August 12, 2017, 06:04:13 AM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #4355 on: August 14, 2017, 11:20:47 AM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4356 on: August 14, 2017, 03:43:52 PM »
:confused
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #4357 on: August 14, 2017, 05:28:41 PM »
I don't understand that blog post. What's the spoiler? What's the weird thing?

Dream has always been part of the DC Universe. He was in JLA when Morrison wrote it. Like half of The Sandman series takes place in the normal DCU. The ending arc especially. One of the main storylines was the impact of The Endless on the DCU, especially Dream's captivity.

The only thing is that Neil Gaiman has a magic special ownership of the character which means he can't be used without permission. Morrison got it, somebody else did for a one-off story, Gaiman's used him in his own regular DCU stories, now Snyder apparently has gotten permission.

edit: Comments annihilate the author for not knowing the background of Daniel :lol

Also:
metroid_fetish • 6 hours ago
I haven't been this excited about anything since that time I took 4 Tylenol PMs.

Tasty

« Reply #4358 on: August 14, 2017, 05:39:42 PM »
Sandman stuff in the DCU has been tenuous/nonexistent since the New 52 though. It's not as shocking as Watchman stuff for sure but it's still a bit surprising, especially for such a huge event.

benjipwns

« Reply #4359 on: August 14, 2017, 05:45:02 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4360 on: August 14, 2017, 05:50:43 PM »
I don't understand that blog post. What's the spoiler? What's the weird thing?

Dream has always been part of the DC Universe. He was in JLA when Morrison wrote it. Like half of The Sandman series takes place in the normal DCU. The ending arc especially. One of the main storylines was the impact of The Endless on the DCU, especially Dream's captivity.

The only thing is that Neil Gaiman has a magic special ownership of the character which means he can't be used without permission. Morrison got it, somebody else did for a one-off story, Gaiman's used him in his own regular DCU stories, now Snyder apparently has gotten permission.

edit: Comments annihilate the author for not knowing the background of Daniel :lol

Also:
metroid_fetish • 6 hours ago
I haven't been this excited about anything since that time I took 4 Tylenol PMs.

Thanks for this; I read and re-read the article and was still trying to find out the "reveal" in there. I wasn't, however, willing to read the Comments Section, so extra thanks for taking that hit for your fellow boritos.

Tasty

« Reply #4361 on: August 14, 2017, 05:56:09 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #4362 on: August 14, 2017, 06:01:50 PM »
i actually was going to read a bunch of New 52 series that i never touched now that the series are all over, like i completely ignored all the Green Lantern and Green Arrow books during it, and forgot to keep up with Aquaman though i think Johns left it, same thing with Flash and Titans

i was basically down to only reading JL, most Batman Family, Superman, and Wonder Woman by the time it was coming down the pike...and Earth 2

Freyj

« Reply #4363 on: August 14, 2017, 07:12:13 PM »
I'm probably about to go back and read New 52 JL and Grayson once I've caught up on Action Comics post Rebirth.

Is Supes worth the trouble? I'd heard bad things about New 52 Superman.

benjipwns

« Reply #4364 on: August 15, 2017, 12:55:55 AM »
New 52 Superman is kinda messed up because Morrison was writing Superman's adventures "five years ago", while the other writers were supposed to be writing current Superman adventures, only they couldn't know what Morrison was doing in terms of background/relationships/etc. and Justice League ignores most everything and vice versa.

the crossovers are actually pretty bad too, He'l on Earth, Doomed, everything involving Lois and Braniac, etc. are all kinda blech imo, and a lot of stuff gets built up and forgotten about as the creative teams kept changing unlike say Batman which kept Snyder for the entire 52 issues.

I guess I'd read Morrison's run on Action Comics maybe and that's it, it's a Morrison self-loop story and it references his other stuff like All-Star Superman and plays around like he does. Then maybe jump ahead to when the older Superman and Lois pop-up since it sets up what happens after Rebirth.

Tasty

« Reply #4365 on: August 15, 2017, 01:00:56 AM »
New 52 Superman was a mistake to be redeemed by Post-Crisis Supes. All throughout the New 52, despite not hating the actual "brand," I was basically #NotMySuperman.

Then my Superman came back with a family and all was right with the world. :rejoice

If only we could get pre-New 52 Tim Drake back. :goty2

benjipwns

« Reply #4366 on: August 16, 2017, 07:56:20 AM »
the ads are in this weeks issues so not really any spoiler but they're going to finally reveal who mr. oz is in action

while tim drake can't wait for that and launches his own escape plan in detective

benjipwns

« Reply #4367 on: August 16, 2017, 08:27:44 AM »
first issue of metal i actually really liked, not sure why they titled the first two issues differently, they'll have to include them in the collected editions anyway

they even used morrison's multiversity map in universe :heart

and then he tied the whole plot into Morrison's Batman run, specifically when Batman was hopping through time that Morrison had hooked onto a story from the 1990s, and that Snyder has now hooked onto his whole tale about Gotham and why the Court of Owls cared so much about the Waynes, and why both Morrison and he spent so much time on what's under Gotham :lawd

so much continuity porn :rejoice

too bad Snyder hasn't shown he can write a story that can handle all this into a non-big-punch-fest-finish epic like Morrison, so withhold full-on canon nut busting until further notice :noah

Tasty

« Reply #4368 on: August 16, 2017, 10:03:33 AM »
the ads are in this weeks issues so not really any spoiler but they're going to finally reveal who mr. oz is in action

while tim drake can't wait for that and launches his own escape plan in detective

Yeah saw these in the latest Superman. HYPED :lawd

(Speaking of, the latest Superman was kinda crazy lol.)

"SUPER PARALLAX" vs. Sinestro next issue!! :lol
[close]

Freyj

« Reply #4369 on: August 16, 2017, 07:25:12 PM »
Glad I caught up on Action and Tec. Both improved over the course of their post Rebirth runs and seem to be typing into things nicely.

Liked Metal #1 a lot, but I need to go through a reread of the Crises.

benjipwns

« Reply #4370 on: August 18, 2017, 01:15:12 AM »
Southern Bastards - This is way too decompressed and the art doesn't help the flashbacks connect easily. But there's a nugget here that was dropped at the start of the first arc and finally seems to be coming to a head. The football part is oddly the least believable part of this.

Wayward - I liked this and then it got silly, well, sillier, plus it's another of those books that takes random months or more off.

Speaking of which I caught up on Saga and man, I dunno with this anymore.

Annihilation - lol at this taking place while Civil War happened, makes that look even worse in retrospect. And Planet Hulk. And after House of M. Not even Thanos killed that many people in a single event. Speaking of which, he was great in this, so was Drax.

Manifest Destiny is potentially next although I know nothing about it going in.

What of Ultimate Marvel is mostly readable straight through, Ultimate X-Men, The Ultimates? Like if I started reading the TPB's of X-Men is there say less than one or two crossovers I have to bring in. I know at some point Ultimatum comes along and they smash up all the books and restart some or most of them at #1. But before that? I'm not sure what the deal with The Ultimates is honestly what with its numbering, just know it's basically the Avengers stand-in.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4371 on: August 18, 2017, 08:58:04 AM »
IIRC The Ultimates was kind of done in "seasons," so you have Ultimates, Ultimates II, Ultimates III, etc.

I didn't read much of the Ultimate line until after all the Ultimatum stuff.  The one most people recommend is Ultimate Spider-Man.   

Speaking of which:

Spider-Men II #2: WHO IS THE OTHER MILES MORALES?  WE STILL DON'T KNOW BECAUSE LOL BENDIS!  Like...stuff happens, but at the same time, it feels like nothing has happened after two issues.  Even though this is a team-up book, most of it just feels like (Miles') Spider-Man book, with him at school doin' thangs with his buddy Ganke.

ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4373 on: August 30, 2017, 11:47:15 PM »
Secret Empire 10: Doesn't even need spoilers when Marvel themselves leaked it.  Also it was lazy and dumb.  All the heroes attack cosmic cube powered Captain America and he wipes them out of existence and changes reality.  He wins...for like five seconds.  Then Sam Wilson shows upx gives him the last cube fragment to make it whole, and surprise!  Ant Man was on it with Bucky. Bucky goes into the cube and pulls out Kobik, now whole, who also brings with her good guy Cap, who is supposed to be a memory fragment, but hey cosmic godlike power and all that.  Cap then fights himself and kicks his own ass, reality is restored and the changed history is erased, shit is pretty much back to normal, however Las Vegas is still a crater and Rick Jones and Black Widow may or may not be dead.  But basically just about nothing that happened mattered at all.

This was the most pointless and stupid event yet.

There's one more thing and that is Hydra Cap is still there.  Secret Empire Omega is coming soon and I assume it will deal with him.

ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #4374 on: August 31, 2017, 12:16:56 AM »
All the heroes attack cosmic cube powered Captain America and he wipes them out of existence and changes reality.  He wins...for like five seconds.  .... reality is restored and the changed history is erased, shit is pretty much back to normal
This is Infinity Gauntlet's battle and plot pretty much. Only they only needed four issues. :lol

I re-read that recently and realized that I hope they actually keep Thanos's actions close to that story in the film.

He turns off his god powers so that his fight with the heroes is more interesting, still curbstomps them all. Then when it seems like they're going to defeat him he suddenly goes "wait, this is stupid" and immediately reactivates his God powers and ends it. Then becomes so powerful and beyond Cosmic Marvel that he forgets about his physical body and essentially gets pickpocketed by Nebula who reverses his whole elimination of half the population of the universe thing. (Which resets the one thing they had to reset.) And the culmination to the whole story is that he's rewarded essentially for becoming God.

It's the one thing about the comic book films finally reaching this point that I've been actually kinda, not upset, but sad sorta, that Thanos and Darkseid are not going to get the portrayals that show why their character (because we can be honest and admit they're the same character) is great and more interesting than this ultimate powerful evil. But I assume Marvel won't dare use Thanos in that way, especially considering how they've to this point treated Asgard; and I certainly can't imagine Warner will let Darkseid be a literal God. Both characters having an interest that transcends "evil" as we use it so often.

The animated version in Justice League: War was really disappointing after they adapted this moment so well earlier:

I also totally don't care if they completely rip this off in some way for Justice League 2 with Batfleck.

benjipwns

« Reply #4375 on: August 31, 2017, 12:35:59 AM »
Alexandru DG
Alexandru DG
2 years ago (edited)
I don't see how people can't realize that Darkseid wasn't playin' around at all. Do you see that guy becoming upset the instant he's like: You dare ?! ... YOU DARE ?! And he slams his fist against Batman, sending him through a pillar. Dude, Darkseid wasn't anywhere near in "holding" back. Darkseid went completely bollistic against Batman. And yeah, Batman have have hit his back first through the pillar. But how does that make his head not stop against hitting the ground ? Second more. How did that hit not crush the inner organs of Batman ? The armor may be strong, but it could not certainly be stronger than Darkseid's power. Please spare me the bullshit and think for a second here. If something like a force of a train hits your chest while you wear a powerful armor, do you really think you'd survive ? NO! The armor may be able to take the hit, but YOU are still vulnerable to the IMPACT. Plus, you then get grabbed and SLAMMED through a wall... Entire body wise. Without head protection. How do you expect to survive that man ? o_O Really you batman fans need to get your shit together. The hits Darkseid dealt here to Batman should've killed him. If you don't believe me, put on an armor, without head protection and stand in front of a train rail and wait for a train to hit you. Let's see how you survive that. I'd really love to be there with pop corn. Oh and also. When scrubs like you don't realize that what Darkseid says about Batman "killing his own kind" he doesn't speak about Batman's morality. Darkseid speaks of the perspective of all humans that they would kill to win battles. And it's so spot on true.
:badass

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4376 on: August 31, 2017, 08:02:46 AM »
All the heroes attack cosmic cube powered Captain America and he wipes them out of existence and changes reality.  He wins...for like five seconds.  .... reality is restored and the changed history is erased, shit is pretty much back to normal
This is Infinity Gauntlet's battle and plot pretty much. Only they only needed four issues. :lol

They even show how they're ripping off Infinite Gauntlet, with a panel right from that comic when Captain America confronts Thanos.  The same thing happens with Sam Wilson confronting Steve Rogers, lol. 

Also in a nice little continuity fuck-up, Las Vegas is destroyed...except it's the setting of the on-going Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider book.  :doge
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #4377 on: September 02, 2017, 02:52:32 PM »
Batman - Dark Victory - Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale's sequel to The Long Halloween. I enjoyed the mystery, the super stylistic art (that Joker chin), the interesting portrayal of Two-Face and the mix of mafia/supervillians/serial killer like Long Halloween. On the downside story didn't seem as good as TLH, and the Robin stuff felt a little thrown in. Glad I read it though, kept me hooked!

Tasty

« Reply #4378 on: September 02, 2017, 03:01:40 PM »
Yeah, it's not as good as TLH (almost nothing is, really), but it's still really good.

I miss old Jeph Loeb. :'(

Bebpo

« Reply #4379 on: September 02, 2017, 03:35:39 PM »
So now that I've read Year One, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Akrham Asylum and Hush, any other Batman graphic novels that I should check out? I heard Court of Owls is good?