Poll

What sexual dysfunction best explains Avatar fandom?

Anthropomorphilia, or being a fucking furfag
18 (27.7%)
Technophilia, or the replacing of human contact with technology
6 (9.2%)
Transsexuality, or the desire to inhabit a body different from your own
4 (6.2%)
Dysmorphilia, or finding sexual arousal in bodies different from your own
3 (4.6%)
Neophilia, or the elevation of the "new experience" above all else
8 (12.3%)
Homosexuality, or the desire to give James Cameron a reacharound
12 (18.5%)
Gaiaphilia, or being aroused by new-age mysticism
1 (1.5%)
Funkephilia, or you're afraid you just blue yourself
13 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: What sexual dysfunction best explains Avatar fandom?  (Read 163532 times)

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Re: What sexual dysfunction best explains Avatar fandom?
« Reply #960 on: February 07, 2010, 07:52:11 PM »
Ridley Scott needs to re-release Blade Runner with an orchestral score.  Like he did with the Legend DVD.  Get John Williams or Hans Zimmer to do it.
PS4

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #961 on: February 07, 2010, 07:57:49 PM »
I hate to say this, but people think A Clockwork Orange is good? It's so crap compared to the book.

like, it's a silly ass movie, but it does a terrible job of adapting the novel.
SRY

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #962 on: February 07, 2010, 08:13:21 PM »
Ridley Scott needs to re-release Blade Runner with an orchestral score.  Like he did with the Legend DVD.  Get John Williams or Hans Zimmer to do it.

Ban Ichirou, please.
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #963 on: February 07, 2010, 08:16:50 PM »
smh teenagers

If you want an accurate adaptation of a book, Stanley Kubrick is not the director you're looking for. If you want a good movie, then he is.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #964 on: February 07, 2010, 08:30:12 PM »
It's a good movie, not an "accurate" adaption but that's not the point. Unlike Blade Runner

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #965 on: February 07, 2010, 08:36:10 PM »
I don't know, I couldn't find anything outside of the lead performance very enjoyable, maybe I'll give it another look sometime
SRY

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #966 on: February 07, 2010, 09:43:10 PM »
wendy carlos influenced an entire generation of synth artists :rock

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #967 on: February 07, 2010, 09:45:31 PM »
and t-pain

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #968 on: February 07, 2010, 11:11:48 PM »
I hate to say this, but people think A Clockwork Orange is good? It's so crap compared to the book.

Almost everyone thinks the movie is good.  They are two different animals, both brilliant in their own way.
No, not the author of the book.  Even if the movie is good viewed alone, it screws up the point of the original since it's based on the American version of ACO and the editors of that one actually cut out the last chapter where Alex sees the flaws of his mentality.  They eventually re-released a "full" version of the book in America and that was the one I read, it really makes no sense to the story to leave out that last chapter.  Nobody would write something like this and not have a point where the main character realizes that everything he's thinking is wrong.

I mean, I don't blame Kubrick or anything not having that last chapter kind of misses any point that you could make with this story.  In the re-released version of the book, Burgess has a note in the beginning mentioning everything about this and makes it completely clear that the movie/American version basically had no point.  That sort of matters.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #969 on: February 07, 2010, 11:15:36 PM »
Maybe he was trying to make a different point, nintenho.
PS4

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #970 on: February 07, 2010, 11:31:12 PM »
It wasn't intentional.  Kubrick said that he didn't read the original version until he finished the screenplay and so he never gave serious consideration to putting in the last chapter.  To me, it makes no sense to show a character like this in a world like this and not show him wanting redemption at the end.  Other people might think that's a cliffhanger but it's not intentional.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #971 on: February 07, 2010, 11:31:31 PM »

Almost everyone thinks the movie is good.  They are two different animals, both brilliant in their own way.
No, not the author of the book.  Even if the movie is good viewed alone, it screws up the point of the original since it's based on the American version of ACO and the editors of that one actually cut out the last chapter where Alex sees the flaws of his mentality.  They eventually re-released a "full" version of the book in America and that was the one I read, it really makes no sense to the story to leave out that last chapter.  Nobody would write something like this and not have a point where the main character realizes that everything he's thinking is wrong.

I mean, I don't blame Kubrick or anything not having that last chapter kind of misses any point that you could make with this story.  In the re-released version of the book, Burgess has a note in the beginning mentioning everything about this and makes it completely clear that the movie/American version basically had no point.  That sort of matters.

Who gives a shit what the author thinks? ACO is a fucking masterpiece and easily Kubrick's best movie and thats saying a lot since he is the best director that ever lived.

:piss A clockwork Orange haters( I didn't even know they existed) :piss2
Drunk

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #972 on: February 07, 2010, 11:39:23 PM »
I :heartbeat the movie and book both, even if their messages are in direct opposition to one another!
乱学者

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #973 on: February 07, 2010, 11:54:01 PM »
I always thought the fact that ACO "had no point" so to speak was actually the point of the movie. Didn't even know there was a book. My dad introduced me to the movie when I was like 14.
nat

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #974 on: February 08, 2010, 12:17:11 AM »
I always thought the fact that ACO "had no point" so to speak was actually the point of the movie. Didn't even know there was a book. My dad introduced me to the movie when I was like 14.
I actually thought that about halfway through the book (and I was also 14) but then you start seeing how it's all about free will and nature of evil people is based on psychopathy and it really makes sense at the end where he questions his destructive actions and considers being a productive member of society.  Some teens will just see the first person narration of a bunch sex and violence and just think "OMG 1T SPEEKS TO MEEEE!" but that's bullshit.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #975 on: February 08, 2010, 12:17:18 AM »
It wasn't intentional.  Kubrick said that he didn't read the original version until he finished the screenplay and so he never gave serious consideration to putting in the last chapter.  To me, it makes no sense to show a character like this in a world like this and not show him wanting redemption at the end.  Other people might think that's a cliffhanger but it's not intentional.

The movie doesn't end on a cliffhanger, wtf....
PS4

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #976 on: February 08, 2010, 12:25:35 AM »

The movie doesn't end on a cliffhanger, wtf....
yeah that's a horrible word for it but to make it seem uncertain what happens to Alex.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #977 on: February 08, 2010, 12:28:08 AM »
Stephen King also hated Stanley Kubrick's adaption of The Shining, but that movie was awesome too, so Stephen King can fall off a cliff.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #978 on: February 08, 2010, 12:36:40 AM »
Did Stephen King or Anthony Burgess ever win an Oscar? Yeah, didn't think so. :smug
dog

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #979 on: February 08, 2010, 02:10:43 AM »
Did Stephen King or Anthony Burgess ever win an Oscar? Yeah, didn't think so. :smug

Did Stanley Kubrick even read the books he made movies of? Yeah, didn't think so. :smug
SRY

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #980 on: February 08, 2010, 02:12:04 AM »
I'm pretty sure he read Barry Lyndon.
PS4

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #981 on: February 08, 2010, 02:14:08 AM »
I did mention that his adaptation of ACO was based on the American version of the book.  And Full Metal Jacket was based on a little 22 page book I think but I'm guessing that most of the screenplay was original.

cool breeze

« Reply #982 on: February 08, 2010, 02:22:04 AM »
Blade Runner has a great soundtrack.

[youtube=560,345]ls6IwEG0FYM[/youtube]

:bow Vangelis :bow2

http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #983 on: February 08, 2010, 03:22:52 AM »

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #984 on: February 08, 2010, 03:28:07 AM »
Hans Zimmer, sure. John Williams? :-X
SRY

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #985 on: February 08, 2010, 05:04:44 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

smh
PS4

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #986 on: February 08, 2010, 06:33:01 AM »
Why does anyone even bother commissioning new Hans Zimmer scores? They all end up the same, with that bit that rips off Concerto De Aranjuez.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #987 on: February 08, 2010, 10:33:43 AM »

One of Stephen King's best-known books contains a scene where a group of barely-pubescent boys run a train on a barely-pubescent girl. And the whole thing is supposed to be some kind of bonding experience. That, to me, is far worse than any furry shit.
:bow King :bow2

That kind of shit was the reason I loved reading him as a child.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #988 on: February 09, 2010, 01:53:39 AM »

John Williams hate? I've finally seen everything there is to see on the internet

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #989 on: February 09, 2010, 02:24:14 AM »

John Williams hate? I've finally seen everything there is to see on the internet

We're talking about the same John Williams right? John Williams used to be pretty awesome, but every song he does now sounds like it's off the same soundtrack to me.
SRY

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #990 on: February 09, 2010, 02:50:19 AM »
Blade Runner's score is one of the top 5 scores of all time, wtf
乱学者

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #991 on: February 09, 2010, 02:53:00 AM »
I was wondering what was taking you so long.
PSP

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #992 on: February 09, 2010, 03:14:08 AM »
Somehow I missed it the first time around! Probably my subconscious filters kept me from fully parsing the words to protect my brain.
乱学者

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #993 on: February 09, 2010, 08:14:27 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

smh
Pleb.

I like Hans Zimmer until he sold the same soundtrack to 10 different directors. And I liked John Williams... when I was 12.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #994 on: February 09, 2010, 08:37:37 AM »
smh
PS4

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #995 on: February 10, 2010, 10:06:33 PM »
Just saw it by means of torrent.

Are they rhinoceroses or hammerhead sharks?  This movie is distinguished mentally-challenged.

The pilot chick painted her face blue before the battle.  This movie is distinguished mentally-challenged.

The action at the end was good though.  And by action I mean the human on na'vi cuddling.  This movie is distinguished mentally-challenged.

Would watching it in 3D turn it into a good movie?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #996 on: February 10, 2010, 10:07:49 PM »
Hans Zimmer Gladiator soundtrack was really good. 

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #997 on: February 10, 2010, 10:09:35 PM »
Would watching it in 3D turn it into a good movie?
It'd turn it into an Oscar contender!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #998 on: February 10, 2010, 10:13:29 PM »
In the 3D version do they mute the foreign alien girl when she gets so angry she can only speak half-English while screaming?  Everytime she did that it reminded me of every single movie ever with an angry Latino chick who gets mad at her white boyfriend.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #999 on: February 10, 2010, 10:17:09 PM »
coincidentally, they did get a latina chick to play her.  made it more convincing when she played up that stereotype I guess?

Powerslave

« Reply #1000 on: February 10, 2010, 10:47:48 PM »
The Blade Runner soundtrack is one of the most divine and enchanting pieces of music ever composed. Makes me float away and evoke all kinds of emotions ranging from badass to hopelessness.

Green Shinobi

« Reply #1001 on: February 10, 2010, 11:14:58 PM »
The pilot chick painted her face blue before the battle.  This movie is distinguished mentally-challenged.

Just so we're clear: did you also find it distinguished mentally-challenged when William Wallace did it?

Also, just so we're clear: did you think about the fact that the paint might have been so that the Na'vi could distinguish her and her ship from the hundred identical ships on the other side?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1002 on: February 10, 2010, 11:17:26 PM »
No, I just thought about the fact that it was distinguished mentally-challenged. 

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1003 on: February 10, 2010, 11:19:26 PM »

Just so we're clear: did you also find it distinguished mentally-challenged when William Wallace did it?

Also, just so we're clear: did you think about the fact that the paint might have been so that the Na'vi could distinguish her and her ship from the hundred identical ships on the other side?

William Wallace was not flying a helicopter.  QED.

Green Shinobi

« Reply #1004 on: February 10, 2010, 11:20:52 PM »
Yes, but the ship was also painted, wasn't it? I can't remember for sure, but I remember someone saying that.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1005 on: February 10, 2010, 11:26:47 PM »
The ship was painted.  So why did she have to paint her face too GS?  Was it so that in case she crashed, and in case she lived, and in case a group of na'vi who didn't know her came across her, then they would think "O a blue face, she must be with us.  Either that or she is distinguished mentally-challenged and should be left alone".  Was that why GS?

Green Shinobi

« Reply #1006 on: February 10, 2010, 11:31:02 PM »
The ship was painted.  So why did she have to paint her face too GS?  Was it so that in case she crashed, and in case she lived, and in case a group of na'vi who didn't know her came across her, then they would think "O a blue face, she must be with us.  Either that or she is distinguished mentally-challenged and should be left alone".  Was that why GS?

Yes, that was why.

Green Shinobi

« Reply #1007 on: February 10, 2010, 11:38:26 PM »
Almost every movie, book or piece of music is a big mishmash of other peoples ideas.

If you want to get technical about it...

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
乱学者

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1009 on: February 10, 2010, 11:41:16 PM »
torrenting Avatar has got to be the dumbest way to watch it. Seriously

Green Shinobi

« Reply #1010 on: February 10, 2010, 11:41:51 PM »
I'm going to get one of those t-shirts and rock it next time I play a live show.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1011 on: February 10, 2010, 11:42:50 PM »

For some reason, I thought this line was hilarious.
🍆🍆

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1012 on: February 10, 2010, 11:43:30 PM »
That reminds me that the "sciencey" words were astonishingly distinguished mentally-challenged.  "flux vortex", "unobtainium" "Friendly-fire-proof-face-paint".

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1013 on: February 10, 2010, 11:44:31 PM »

I did too.  In fact I was very seriously thinking about facebooking it and pretending I had said it.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1014 on: February 10, 2010, 11:46:51 PM »
i wonder how much it would have changed the story if mel had decided to make willie wallace fly a chopper.
nat

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1015 on: February 10, 2010, 11:47:36 PM »
Still would have been better than Avatar. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1016 on: February 10, 2010, 11:49:36 PM »

I did too.  In fact I was very seriously thinking about facebooking it and pretending I had said it.

Do it.

OK, I'm going to do it.  I'm excited.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1017 on: February 10, 2010, 11:52:01 PM »
That reminds me that the "sciencey" words were astonishingly distinguished mentally-challenged.  "flux vortex", "unobtainium".

Both of those are actual technical terms.
dog

Green Shinobi

« Reply #1018 on: February 10, 2010, 11:54:54 PM »
Arvid. Wrong on science, wrong on Avatar.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1019 on: February 10, 2010, 11:56:19 PM »
That reminds me that the "sciencey" words were astonishingly distinguished mentally-challenged.  "flux vortex", "unobtainium".

Both of those are actual technical terms.

Well I'm embarrassed.

GS on a scale of 1 to 10 how much better is Avatar to Romeo and Juliet?  with 1 being better and 10 being OMG sooo much better.