Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 794317 times)

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Re: FitnessBore - 2010 edition
« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2010, 11:30:45 PM »
I didn't even look at the nutritional facts until after I tried to eat the leftovers hours later. I just rang up my calories right before I posted. I mean, I expected to take a hit - but not a hit like that!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:-\
[close]
PSP

« Reply #181 on: January 18, 2010, 11:33:25 PM »
Dude. You went to Outback. They're notorious for being incredibly unhealthy. You knew what you were getting yourself into.  :wag

spoiler (click to show/hide)
But what the hell, it's your birthday. Have fun and don't do it again. Just get back on the wagon tomorrow and keep at it!!! Hard work and guts, man. Hard work and guts!
[close]
野球

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #182 on: January 18, 2010, 11:33:52 PM »
I honestly did not. I had never been there before! It wasn't even my choice!
PSP

archie4208

« Reply #183 on: January 18, 2010, 11:34:53 PM »
Looks like that is your cheat meal for the week month, Willco!

« Reply #184 on: January 18, 2010, 11:35:12 PM »
:lol

It's not the end of the world. Well, it probably is if you wake up tomorrow back at Outback with your face in a Bloomin Onion or whatever that thing is called.
野球

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #185 on: January 18, 2010, 11:37:35 PM »
Willco- bullemia is the answer, next time.

archie4208

« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2010, 11:38:04 PM »
:lol

It's not the end of the world. Well, it probably is if you wake up tomorrow back at Outback with your face in a Bloomin Onion or whatever that thing is called.

A full Bloomin Onion has over 3000 calories, 280 grams of fat, and 132 grams carbs. :o

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2010, 11:39:14 PM »
I apologise for the suffering my people brought onto your body, Willco.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #188 on: January 19, 2010, 12:19:27 AM »
3,000 calories for the Bloomin Onion? jeez. And i bet that's without the dips. I've had 'em quite a few times, although I don't really like the place that much. It's pretty convenient for parties though.

Since I'm doing Starting Strength, I'm supposed to be eating an additional 2,500 calories daily right now. I'm packing away truly extraordinary amounts of food and booze. It's fun but I think I'd better wind this up before I get too used to it.
vjj

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #189 on: January 19, 2010, 07:18:24 AM »
Found this leaked footage of Willco's routine...

http://i46.tinypic.com/2mqvw54.jpg
fat

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #190 on: January 19, 2010, 07:25:52 AM »
When I lost my weight, I had a day a week where I ate whatever I wanted.  It was typically two meals and by the end of the night, I couldn't wait to get back to the program the next day.  Yet when times were getting challenging (I picked Sunday for these cheats and the challenging days were usually Thursday or Friday), I held on, knowing I could eat whatever the fuck I wanted on Sunday.

That might mean one less day of progress but any weight (including water) I gained, I lost by Tuesday.

You're fine.  One cheat meal isn't bad at all.
🍆🍆

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #191 on: January 19, 2010, 07:33:25 AM »
yeah one cheat meal a week isn't going to do much harm.

It's important not so much to get worked up over single events, and its VERY important to pay attention to trends in your behavior. Trends in behavior over time become habits, and that's makes people stay unhealthy. On the other hand, positive trends in your behavior form good habits which you can keep for life, which is really the whole purpose (IMO) of a diet-finding a set of good eating habits you are happy and can actually live with.

The man who loses ten pounds over a span of ten weeks but changes his macro nutrient ratios away from the usual American diet carbsplosion, makes a habit of drinking tons of water, cuts out sugary drinks entirely, and finds a lifting/cardio program that works for him is much better off than the dude that drops twenty in the same amount of time by crashing out his metabolism by just flooring his calorie intake and starving himself.
hex

archie4208

« Reply #192 on: January 19, 2010, 08:34:39 AM »
Indulging once a week isn't going to throw you off track.  Just be ready to hit the gym the next day!  I have a cheat meal once a week that is an extra 500 to 1500 calories (depending on what I eat).  I see them as rewards for being dedicated to your diet. 

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #193 on: January 19, 2010, 01:23:24 PM »
duckman - Did you ever give that 1-3-5 progression for the deadlift a shot? If you're deadlifting heavy 3 times a week or so, it's a great way to build it up fast. In case you need a reminder, just take your 5RM weight, add 5lbs to it, do 1 rep. Then do 3 reps the next session, 5 the next. Then add 5lbs, go down to 3 reps. Add 5lbs more, do 1 rep, rinse and repeat. It's a crazy fast progression but you'd be surprised how much you can milk it.

You know, I think that's basically what I did, but I don't think I ever planned to do it. I jumped a little bit too fast in load so I had to go with a single rep the first time, and did three at the same weight on the next lift.

Deads are the only lifts or type of exercise that I actually dread before every single lift. I think that's a good thing, makes you respect it, which in turn promotes safety.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:25:49 PM by duckman2000 »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #194 on: January 19, 2010, 06:50:57 PM »
Dreadlifts, I like it :rock

I know exactly what you mean. I avoid thinking too much about the lift itself by concentrating on the following check list before every rep (even in sets of 5 or whatever).  Burn this sequence into your brain and you are pretty much guaranteed safe lifts.

1) knees to bar
2) hook grip
3) chest up, shoulders back
4) pull

At 300lbs, it's probably time for you to start using the hook grip if you haven't already. After 300lbs, it pretty much always feels heavy, even when you can lift it relatively easily. Hard to explain but you probably know what I mean!
vjj

« Reply #195 on: January 19, 2010, 06:57:41 PM »
Ran for 45 minutes today. Would've gone further, but I'm really draggin' today.
野球

archie4208

« Reply #196 on: January 19, 2010, 06:59:22 PM »
Did 15 minutes of HIIT today.  I was barely able to walk after I was done.  :rock  Then I gorged on green beans and skinless boneless chicken breasts for dinner.  I ate an entire can of green beans and two breasts in less than 10 minutes.  I haven't been that ravenous for food in years.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #197 on: January 19, 2010, 07:04:27 PM »
Sounds like you're doing it right, whatever it is you're doing.
vjj

« Reply #198 on: January 19, 2010, 07:09:05 PM »
Cormac, I've been bugging the Northwest Crosffit guys down the street from my house for a shirt for you. Hopefully I can get you one.
野球

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #199 on: January 19, 2010, 07:11:30 PM »
yeah doing HIIT turns me into a ravenous beast, hungry for the flesh of sweet chicken.

also, you're doing it right if you collapse or are near collapse when you are done. the metric I use is "do I feel like I want to die", if the answer is yes then my HIIT session was likely a success, which is easily confirmed via heart rate monitor.
hex

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #200 on: January 19, 2010, 07:28:29 PM »
Did 15 minutes of HIIT today.  I was barely able to walk after I was done.  :rock  Then I gorged on green beans and skinless boneless chicken breasts for dinner.  I ate an entire can of green beans and two breasts in less than 10 minutes.  I haven't been that ravenous for food in years.

What else are you ravenous for? :teehee
🍆🍆

archie4208

« Reply #201 on: January 19, 2010, 07:58:58 PM »
 :-*

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #202 on: January 19, 2010, 08:02:08 PM »
Cormac, I've been bugging the Northwest Crosffit guys down the street from my house for a shirt for you. Hopefully I can get you one.

Wow, thanks! :bow
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #203 on: January 20, 2010, 12:25:36 AM »
Squatted 3x5 at 112.5kg/248lbs today. What an awesome lunch break that was :)

Next up is 115kg, which was my old 1 rep max. Presumably I'd shatter that now. Gonna need new pants soon!
vjj

Rman

« Reply #204 on: January 21, 2010, 12:17:11 AM »
Couple of cheat meals once a week won't delay your progress, Wilco.  I tend to have my cheat meals when eating out.  One component that people miss when wanting to lean out is the quality of their sleep.  Restless sleep or low quality raises cortisol levels, a stress hormone which mitigates fat loss.  So don't skimp on quality sleep for those looking to lean out. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #205 on: January 21, 2010, 10:57:37 AM »
After doing pretty much cardio for a year or so, I've started working on weights recently.

I've just kinda been doing my own thing since I've never really looked online for routines and whatnot.

I do a full body workout 3 or 4 times a week (every other day).  Do you guys prefer isolation or full body?  What are the benefits of both?  On the in between days, I do long distance running.  I know HIIT is supposed to be better, but I actually enjoy long distance running and it lost me about 60 pounds so it works well enough for me.  I tried HIIT and I don't really care for it.  I'm sure it works, but i need to be able to enjoy something to keep doing it. 

Tell me how to fix my routine or make it better because I'm sure compared to you guys, my routine is complete crap :lol

I start with bench press.  I start with a base weight that I choose based on a point of failure of 9 reps.  I do one set of that.  Then I add 10 pounds.  Usually I can do about 6 or 7 of those and I do one set.  Then I add 10 more pounds and it usually tops me out at about 5 reps.  I do two sets of these.  Then I stack down and take off 10 pounds.  Do one set.  Take off the other 10, do one set.  I don't know how effective it really is, but i've almost double my bench press in about 1.5 months or so.  Any suggestions for better progression?

Then I usually do bicep curls.  I do 5 sets of the same weight.  When my point of failure on the final set is about 10, I raise it another 5 pounds.  I've progressed a bit slower on this.  Went from 20 lbs to 30 now in about 2 months (I started doing this after running before i started weights).  i'm about to move up to 35 in probably another week or two. 

Then I usually do squats.  I'm at 150 right now, working my way up slowly while I watch my form.  I stay at one consistent weight for 5 sets here.  I usually do 9 reps.  I'll lower my reps as I move up in weight though.  I just don't want to move up too quickly and not have proper form for such a high weight.

Then I do leg presses.  I work it the same way as my bench press.  But i start at 360, add 50, one set, add 50, one set, then take off 50, one set, take off the other 50 one set.  5 sets, 9 reps.

Then I work back by either working on the rowing machine or doing lat pull downs.  Same as bench and leg presses.  What are some good back exercises with free weights?  i prefer free weights.  It feels like I accomplish more and see more gain on freeweight exercises.

Then I usually finish with butterflies.  Same regiment of stacking up and stacking down.  9 reps.

So.... tear me apart and make my exercises more efficient please!

PS: At this point, I'm pretty much eating what I want with no weight gain and I'm bulking up nicely.  My wife is loving the arms :o  She'll be rubbing them randomly when we're watching a movie or something.

archie4208

« Reply #206 on: January 21, 2010, 11:34:40 AM »
For lfiting: I would give Stronglifts a shot.  Here is the link to it.  It has been the simplest lifting plan I have ever done, and also one of the most grueling.  I have noticed some very good gains in my legs since I started it 3 months ago.  I was going to do some other trash I found at bodybuilding.com but Cormac talked me out of it and I'm glad he did.

For cardio: do whatever works for you!  If you don't like HIIT, then by all means do long distance running.  I have a very short attention span and get bored after about 20 minutes, so HIIT is perfect for me.  I normally do a 15 minute HIIT routine on my non lifting days.

My routine right now is:

M/W/F - Stronglifts (I might do 20 minutes low intensity cardio in the evening, but I don't do it all the time)
Tu/Th/Sa - 15 minutes HIIT
Su - Rest

Nutrition wise: I am trying to lose fat so I keep my caloric intake between 1800 and 2000 calories a day with an emphasis on protein.  Carbs are my biggest weakness so I try to curtail them after lunch time and focus on veggies.  My carbs consist of oatmeal, wheat bread (I'm trying to cut that, though) and sweet potatoes.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 11:39:40 AM by archie4208 »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #207 on: January 21, 2010, 11:39:52 AM »
That looks pretty awesome. I've never heard of inverted rows and I'm actually googling it to find out how to do it :lol  Makes me feel like such a dork

Edit:
I think I might try your routine.  My problem with foods is carbs.  Being hispanics, my wife and I tend to eat a lot of breads and beans (stereotypes, I know!).  It's really hard to avoid especially when we eat at home, but we do try to avoid that.  But we mainly try not to eat out and that seems to do us a lot of good.  We lose a good amount of weight (1 or 2 pounds per week) just when we consistently go to the gym and avoid fast food.  I guess I'll worry more about it when I get closer to my goal I imagine.  As of right now I'm still not watching what I eat too badly and still losing weight :D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 11:46:05 AM by Rob Thomas »

archie4208

« Reply #208 on: January 21, 2010, 11:51:19 AM »
Nutrition is my biggest weakness by far, especially on the carbs side.  I lack self control and will pig out if given the chance.  I would suggest www.fitday.com to track your calories (and guilt trip you into eating healthy :teehee).  You should try to curtail carbs, but don't totally eliminate them. 

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #209 on: January 21, 2010, 12:41:22 PM »
If you're losing 1-2 pounds a week just keep doing what you're doing, because it's working. :)
hex

Rman

« Reply #210 on: January 21, 2010, 02:17:45 PM »
For lfiting: I would give Stronglifts a shot.  Here is the link to it.  It has been the simplest lifting plan I have ever done, and also one of the most grueling.  I have noticed some very good gains in my legs since I started it 3 months ago.  I was going to do some other trash I found at bodybuilding.com but Cormac talked me out of it and I'm glad he did.

For cardio: do whatever works for you!  If you don't like HIIT, then by all means do long distance running.  I have a very short attention span and get bored after about 20 minutes, so HIIT is perfect for me.  I normally do a 15 minute HIIT routine on my non lifting days.

My routine right now is:

M/W/F - Stronglifts (I might do 20 minutes low intensity cardio in the evening, but I don't do it all the time)
Tu/Th/Sa - 15 minutes HIIT
Su - Rest

Nutrition wise: I am trying to lose fat so I keep my caloric intake between 1800 and 2000 calories a day with an emphasis on protein.  Carbs are my biggest weakness so I try to curtail them after lunch time and focus on veggies.  My carbs consist of oatmeal, wheat bread (I'm trying to cut that, though) and sweet potatoes.
Carbs post workout are fine, especially after strength training workouts.  Stick with the higher quality stuff, though--yams, sweet potatoes, etc.  Just pair it with protein for best recovery.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 02:19:43 PM by Rman »

archie4208

« Reply #211 on: January 21, 2010, 02:25:40 PM »
I just finished an intense HIIT session and had a protein shake and a bowl of oatmeal. :rock

But I'm talking about in general.  I remember eating whole boxes of cereal in one sitting during my fatty days.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #212 on: January 21, 2010, 03:01:16 PM »
Nutrition is my biggest weakness by far, especially on the carbs side.  I lack self control and will pig out if given the chance.  I would suggest www.fitday.com to track your calories (and guilt trip you into eating healthy :teehee).  You should try to curtail carbs, but don't totally eliminate them. 
I think I have an app on my phone that links to that site.  I input all my foods in there and specify portions etc.  It even scans barcodes on food items to obtain the nutrition facts automatically.  I think it's for that site.  If not I've heard of it elsewhere.  Thanks! 

And my problem with food is our typical food items at our house.  We both usually skip breakfast.  For lunch, it's usually a sandwich of some kind with bread and crap and carbs.  Then for dinner it's usually beans and/or rice with some kind of cooked beef (rarely chicken) or eggs, some cheese and tortillas or bread.

Food is our biggest downfall as well.  It's way harder to control for us since we usually get home to eat dinner like at 9 pm and we're lazy as shit by then and we're just food lovers in general.

If you're losing 1-2 pounds a week just keep doing what you're doing, because it's working. :)
:D

My workout has pretty much just been evolving from what I've found has worked for me.  I originally tried isolation exercises using opposing muscle groups.  The gain was good, but the aftermath was too much for me to keep up with.  I dumped that after two weeks because even splitting the days up in 3 groups, I was too sore to continue.  Plus, the pumps seemed to be more temporary with just swelling instead of a real gain in mass.  After taking like a week off for christmas, my arms went back down to where they were before.  As opposed to when I initially started, the muscle gain was still there even after a 2 week hiatus during thanksgiving (fucking holidays).

I just finished an intense HIIT session and had a protein shake and a bowl of oatmeal. :rock

But I'm talking about in general.  I remember eating whole boxes of cereal in one sitting during my fatty days.
Whole pizzas when i worked at pizza hut :'(

duckman2000

« Reply #213 on: January 21, 2010, 03:04:51 PM »
The only thing I don't quite understand is doing leg presses and squats. Could be perfect for all I know, but what's the benefit of doing both?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #214 on: January 21, 2010, 03:06:54 PM »
I have no idea.  It felt good  :lol

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #215 on: January 21, 2010, 04:05:49 PM »
I went to the gym today and went to three reps on each machine, increasing the plate every time. I was planning to do cardio too, but I'm gassed. It's been a rough two days.
PSP

duckman2000

« Reply #216 on: January 21, 2010, 04:07:44 PM »
I think I really fucked up my shoulder the other day. My squat set-up is less than ideal, so I twisted my arm resetting the bar. Today I have limited movement, think I might hold off on lifts for a while.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #217 on: January 21, 2010, 04:15:06 PM »
My arm was giving me a bitching pain last night with butterflies.  i'll see how it is tomorrow.  It felt fine when I quit and feels fine now.  But it was a sharp ass pain in my upper right arm.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #218 on: January 21, 2010, 04:24:49 PM »
I lost 24 lbs. this month.
PSP

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #219 on: January 21, 2010, 04:28:05 PM »
I lost 24 lbs. this month.
holy shit dude!  Good job!

duckman2000

« Reply #220 on: January 21, 2010, 04:33:01 PM »
My arm was giving me a bitching pain last night with butterflies.  i'll see how it is tomorrow.  It felt fine when I quit and feels fine now.  But it was a sharp ass pain in my upper right arm.

Joint or muscle? Mine feels like joint pain, and that bugs me.

Oh yeah, and good job Will.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #221 on: January 21, 2010, 04:38:40 PM »
Joint.  For the first few reps it actually felt like it popping.  That went away though.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #222 on: January 21, 2010, 04:39:02 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm still pretty heavy, though. I was told once the system shock of monitoring calories and actually working out wears off (and my body stabilizes), this is the point where it becomes grueling. Lots of hard work to go to get to a weight that's not totally embarrassing. :punch
PSP

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #223 on: January 21, 2010, 04:40:02 PM »
I dont think you're embarassing, you are only hurting yourself Will.
fat

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #224 on: January 21, 2010, 04:41:24 PM »
Whatever administrator McDreamy.

Demi is the only dude on THE BORE that is so good looking that he's actually shy about posting pics, because he doesn't want to upstage the Internet.
PSP

archie4208

« Reply #225 on: January 21, 2010, 05:55:06 PM »
You mean demi ISN"T Nick Frost?  This is news to me.

Also, I was so exhausted after my HIIT that I fell asleep for 90 minutes. :lol

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #226 on: January 21, 2010, 06:31:50 PM »
Nice work, Willco
🍆🍆

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #227 on: January 21, 2010, 06:38:01 PM »
I got a lot more to go (a lot more), but thanks for the kudos! :punch
PSP

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #228 on: January 21, 2010, 07:22:57 PM »
Mups:

What you're doing will work to an extent but it's not optimal by any means. It's too complicated and too random, and there is needless duplication. As duckman says, squats AND leg press is silly - leg press is a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow version of a proper squat. If you do the squat right, you shouldn't be CAPABLE of doing leg press afterward. (the reason it's distinguished mentally-challenged is because your back is completely supported throughout the lift, so you lose all the benefit to your back - people only like it because they think OMG I'm pressing 400lbs! They're not).

Curls and rows are not terrible to start off with (they're safe and easy to do correctly) but your goal should be to build up to pull-ups, power cleans and deadlifts, which have a far greater benefit. But these require decent strength and/or technique so no need to jump straight in on them if what you're doing is working for you at the moment. Just remember this for when you plateau (which you will).

You are very much correct in your observation that the 'pump' is mostly temporary from this kind of isolation work. To get bigger, you actually need to move heavy weights, and EAT. You're effectively on a calorie-controlled diet - your arms aren't going to gain two or three inches no matter how many curls you do.

archie - the HIIT stuff is great, I love it too. But it doesn't go well with a stronglifts-style program. You're really slowing the strength gains by doing all that extra stuff, because there is no way you can recover adequately over the long term. I'd cut down to one session a week and add in more work slowly only if you are still seeing consistent strength gains. (if you don't want consistent strength gains, on the other hand - dump stronglifts!).  Always remember that strength gains and conditioning gains are mutually opposed. Improving both at once is a slow process and many people get the balance wrong and end up not making decent progress in either. The program you have chosen is designed around strength ONLY by experienced pros - i'd stick to it as written for at least a couple of months before dicking with it.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #229 on: January 21, 2010, 07:29:21 PM »
awesome work Willco! :mrt

Sadly, yes, weight loss will get harder the closer you get to 'normal'. But you still have plenty of ammo in the clip - you can definitely tighten up the nutrition considerably, from what I've read. And your work capacity will increase, enabling you to get more out of each training session. Once you start the positive cycle, it's just a matter of keeping it going.

We need some workout smileys i think. 

vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #230 on: January 21, 2010, 07:31:09 PM »
I think I really fucked up my shoulder the other day. My squat set-up is less than ideal, so I twisted my arm resetting the bar. Today I have limited movement, think I might hold off on lifts for a while.

I've fucked this up a few times myself - I now set the hooks super-low as a result. You should never ever have to stand up straight with the barbell on your back in order to rack it.
vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #231 on: January 21, 2010, 07:40:32 PM »
you can definitely tighten up the nutrition considerably, from what I've read.

Save for my escapade at Outback Steakhouse, I've been pretty diligent. Been keeping it under 2,500 calories a day, no sweet stuff (except maybe an apple), all whole grains, limited fat (I've pretty much tossed red meat out of the house, although I'll do a lean pork tenderloin every now and then), etc.

My favorite dish (after working out) is this refined chicken and pasta bowl I've created. 4 oz. of grilled chicken breast strips, 2 oz. of whole grain pasta, 1 tbsp of extra light olive oil and 2.5 tbsp of low fat parmesan cheese. Total calories: 483. It's delicious and it fills me up for the rest of the day. It was a far cry from the stuff I was eating.

I was eating soy and stuff, but my father vetoed that, saying something about how my body breaks down soy will make it harder for me. I dunno. Fitness gibberish.
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #232 on: January 21, 2010, 07:48:55 PM »
I would welcome any seafood suggestions that are low calorie and relatively healthy, btw. Especially soup.
PSP

Rman

« Reply #233 on: January 21, 2010, 08:02:12 PM »
I'll list some of my favorites by cooking technique.

Broiled: Swordfish, Wild Salmon
Sauteed: Red Snapper, Halibut, Mackerel, Scallops--great, inexpensive source of Omega 3 fats.
Grilled: Tuna, Mahi Mahi, Squid, Shrimp, Scallops
Poached: Shrimp, Lobster
Roasted, Whole: Bass, Snapper

Vinagrettes go great with most seafood dishes as well and less fattening than tartar sauce or melted garlic butter, which accompany most seafood items.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 08:05:20 PM by Rman »

duckman2000

« Reply #234 on: January 21, 2010, 08:03:57 PM »
If you can get wild-caught salmon, that's a pretty awesome fish. Mackerel is very fatty, but highly nutritious, and doesn't have a very strong taste if you are unfamiliar with fish. Generally, search out predatory fish, and avoid farmed fish.

I forget what has been mentioned and where, but smoothies are also good stuff, if you pack them with the right ingredients. No need to go all seaweed and bark, you can get fairly healthy, good tasting smoothies without the taste and consistency of a harbor floor. Also takes care of the liquid thing nicely, and with some Greek yogurt and flax in the mix, your digestive system will be top notch.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 08:07:01 PM by duckman2000 »

Rman

« Reply #235 on: January 21, 2010, 08:06:46 PM »
If you can get wild-caught salmon, that's a pretty awesome fish. Mackerel is very fatty, but highly nutritious, and doesn't have a very strong taste if you are unfamiliar with fish. Generally, search out predatory fish, and avoid farmed fish.

Great advice.  Don't be afraid to get cooking advice from your fishmonger.  A good fishmonger, like a good butcher, is usually a great resource for cooking advice.

archie4208

« Reply #236 on: January 21, 2010, 08:53:01 PM »
I just had a bag of chips for my weekly cheat meal.  410 calories later and I feel like shit. :/

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #237 on: January 21, 2010, 08:58:36 PM »
Willco - I know you've changed your diet a lot, but there is still a lot you can do to improve. You don't have to make these changes all at once though. Just keep it in mind, and also remember that i know very little about losing the kind of weight you're dealing with - very few people are really qualified to give advice here.

Having said that - I see no mention of vegetables, for example. Swapping broccoli for the pasta will make a huge difference. Whole-grain or not, it's still simple carbs.

Also, apples are nothing to be guilty about. Eat them at every meal if you want. They're like 50 calories, and have fiber.

And what are you drinking?
vjj

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #238 on: January 21, 2010, 09:23:03 PM »
Just water. Maybe a cup of tea.

I eat broccoli all the time! I just had three cups of chopped broccoli for dinner!
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #239 on: January 21, 2010, 09:24:37 PM »
In terms of veggie matter, I pretty much eat broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, spinach and sweet potatoes. I don't like salad, onions make me sick and I don't like fresh tomatoes/mushrooms. I will eat tomato sauce, though.
PSP