Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3019196 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #18900 on: December 02, 2017, 01:39:09 AM »
them console CPUs

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #18901 on: December 02, 2017, 06:25:43 AM »
 :ohhh

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

« Reply #18903 on: December 02, 2017, 12:59:57 PM »
You go into any old forum and you'll see that video games discourse literally never changes

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.video.nintendo/NyIq9WkJdDo

benjipwns

« Reply #18904 on: December 03, 2017, 12:48:13 PM »
This is part of why I share some of my "clippings" from the old magazine archives.

That post reminds me that everyone totally forgets about this, but Nintendo in 1993-1994 ran a bunch of advertisements designed as magazine articles shit talking the Genesis's color palette, then shit talking the 32X, 3DO and Jaguar by showing Donkey Kong Country and Stunt Race FX and "debunking" their power claims, and mocking how they need new expensive technology when Nintendo just makes their games better instead. And a number of magazines including Game Informer and GamePro that I can remember had to run on their letters page, multiple times, so you know the true volume of the mail they got, responses that these were Nintendo's ads and that they say "ADVERTISEMENT" at the top and bottom.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18906 on: December 03, 2017, 01:07:35 PM »
This is part of why I share some of my "clippings" from the old magazine archives.

That post reminds me that everyone totally forgets about this, but Nintendo in 1993-1994 ran a bunch of advertisements designed as magazine articles shit talking the Genesis's color palette, then shit talking the 32X, 3DO and Jaguar by showing Donkey Kong Country and Stunt Race FX and "debunking" their power claims, and mocking how they need new expensive technology when Nintendo just makes their games better instead. And a number of magazines including Game Informer and GamePro that I can remember had to run on their letters page, multiple times, so you know the true volume of the mail they got, responses that these were Nintendo's ads and that they say "ADVERTISEMENT" at the top and bottom.

HAVE A NICE DAY SEGA ENJOY YOUR LAST NICE DAYS WHILE YOU CAN!!!
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #18907 on: December 03, 2017, 01:23:26 PM »
a few facts for you sega losers: https://i.imgur.com/qxU9Fzv.jpg

PURPLE SKY LOL OWNED :umad :iface :crazy

CLASS DISMISSED! :miyamoto

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18908 on: December 03, 2017, 06:32:32 PM »
Hey guys, did any of you play Watch Dogs 2? Is it a better game than its predecessor? I heard some good things and it's getting cheaper so I wanna try it out...

I’ve played both thoroughly. I’m an acknowledged open-world game addict, so take my enthusiasm with a grain of salt.

TL;DR: The second game is better in every respect.

The main character does about the same amount of parkourish movement, but rather than scouting locations by using established CC Cameras, the quadcopter gives a faster and more natural scouting mechanism. The quadcopter and RC car are modifiable to carry devices which distract, stun, or kill opponents.

The hacking puzzles moved from being a simple Pipe Puzzler thing to an overlay on the physical world geometry, making it a puzzle and navigation/exploration gameplay at the same time.

The online gameplay integration is smooth and less intrusive. I enjoyed having drop-ins in my world, seeing other players who happened to be in the same part of the map as I was. They added other players dropping in if you cause a massive ruckus, so if you’ve got maxed Wanted Level, bounty hunter(s) will appear in your instance to hunt you down.

I also enjoyed the story much more. The first game had such a downer story: a complete social screwup who had managed to get his niece killed, and then continued to seek revenge in a way that was endangering his sister and remaining nephew. From a narrative perspective it was dissonant  to have  this character who had suffered a loss continue to cause so many other people to suffer what he did; he was a killing machine. The sequel makes it much simpler to use non-lethal methods to progress through the story, then you can still be a murderous bastard if you want to do so.

Bebpo

« Reply #18909 on: December 03, 2017, 06:41:31 PM »
I love Watchdogs 2

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18910 on: December 03, 2017, 10:37:06 PM »
dont know where the twitch thread is; dont care

heres a stream where a guy is playing thru every english-released jrpg. playing lunar 2 now; phantasy star 4 is next:

https://www.twitch.tv/landail
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18911 on: December 03, 2017, 10:58:43 PM »
every english-released jrpg

Dude's gonna be busy with that for the next decade, at which point he'll have another decade of games to play through.
dog

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18912 on: December 03, 2017, 11:04:16 PM »
basically yeah, but he's already made it thru all the confusing shitty 8 bit ones so I think he's good. plus at least up til the ps2 most games were 30 hours long ago that's not too bad for each.
pcp

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #18913 on: December 04, 2017, 12:25:45 AM »
The online gameplay integration is smooth and less intrusive. I enjoyed having drop-ins in my world, seeing other players who happened to be in the same part of the map as I was. They added other players dropping in if you cause a massive ruckus, so if you’ve got maxed Wanted Level, bounty hunter(s) will appear in your instance to hunt you down.

Isn't the same as the first? I wouldn't know, I turned off Invasions from the get-go.

I also enjoyed the story much more. The first game had such a downer story: a complete social screwup who had managed to get his niece killed, and then continued to seek revenge in a way that was endangering his sister and remaining nephew. From a narrative perspective it was dissonant  to have  this character who had suffered a loss continue to cause so many other people to suffer what he did; he was a killing machine. The sequel makes it much simpler to use non-lethal methods to progress through the story, then you can still be a murderous bastard if you want to do so.

You're completely right about the first ones story. I'm halfway through "Act 2" (of 5) via the Uplay giveaway they did last month and holy shit I want to strangle Aiden so much.

"I GOTTA GET TO THE BOTTOM OF WHO SHOT MY CAR!"
"But Aiden, I don't care about who murdered my daughter anymore. My son is mute and has PTSD over it. I've moved on, why can't you?"
"GRRRR, BECAUSE! I WANNA FIX EVERYTHING! *broody music and wind here*"

As soon as his mentor came back and kidnapped the sister, that should've been the time to track his ass down and kill him. None of this "play along and try to find out who the second hacker was" bullshit.

Raist

« Reply #18914 on: December 04, 2017, 03:01:21 AM »
I love Watchdogs 2

I read this post in Guillemot's soft frenchie voice.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18915 on: December 04, 2017, 01:49:03 PM »
Secret of Mana is getting a physical PS4 release at Gamestop

https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/secret-of-mana-only-at-gamestop/156840
fat

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #18916 on: December 04, 2017, 02:03:44 PM »
Why's it look like an upres version of one of the Nintendo DS Final Fantasy games?

40 dollars...

paprikastaude

« Reply #18917 on: December 04, 2017, 04:15:33 PM »
You Megaman nerds finally got your game.

Now where's DMC5 for the cool kids who know best Capcom is post-SNES?

kingv

« Reply #18918 on: December 04, 2017, 04:30:49 PM »
Got the Last Guardian essentially for free with Best Buy rewards.

I like the idea of this game so far, but the controls, physics and collision detection are all such jank that it brings the whole experience down.

Exactly how I felt about it. It plays like an early ps3 game and the dog thing is so infuriating.

You can pet it’s ashole tho🕹.

kingv

« Reply #18919 on: December 04, 2017, 04:38:39 PM »
Secret of Mana is getting a physical PS4 release at Gamestop

https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/secret-of-mana-only-at-gamestop/156840

I had a love/hate relationship with this game. I played it when t came out with my friend and his older brother and they argued about which way to go the entire time and would just sit at opposite corners of the screen yelling at each other so the screen wouldn’t move.

Other than that it was fun.

Brings the question of why my homies 20 year old brother was playing secret of mana with a bunch of twelve year olds instead of out trying to get some pussy.

Dude was a white guy that wore a kufi and had a limp though so pussy wasn’t exactly flying his direction.

Note he called it a beanie, but IMO it was clearly a kufi, and it even had like a kind of Kwanzaa stripe aesthetic to
It.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #18920 on: December 05, 2017, 06:38:32 PM »

Brings the question of why my homies 20 year old brother was playing secret of mana with a bunch of twelve year olds instead of out trying to get some pussy.

Cuz have you heard that Kikuta soundtrack? :O
^_^

Corporal

« Reply #18921 on: December 05, 2017, 11:45:36 PM »
It's freaking Secret of Mana. If it weren't for the menu issue I'd have been playing that instead of Super Mario Kart at family gatherings.

Man, being a youngster and sneaking off from the boring stuff to play the vidya with the kiddos was ace.

/random anecdote time: ....Well, there was that one time where I was still a little tyke and in turn got taken along with my older relative who then played an Alien game that scared the everloving bejesus outta me. I was so scared I started crying. My cuz never quite forgave me for that, as he wasn't supposed to own this game and it got confiscated when my mom got involved. What can I say, I was a wuss.
!list

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #18922 on: December 06, 2017, 12:07:22 AM »

Alright finished the first. Total waste of my time in regards to the story.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
All that revenge bullshit and being played for a fucking blackmail on Chicago's mayor. Why bother at that point?
[close]

Dunno if the DLC mission with the one character hacker is worth buying to wade through.

What's the difference between the online in the first and the second? From what I see you choose if you want to invade a la Dark Souls' Red Gemstone and if you find another player to tail or kill or whatever, you do that and then get points if successful. What does the second do differently?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #18923 on: December 07, 2017, 02:36:23 AM »
AVGN sponsored by a F2P wargame :nope
Times are rough.
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #18924 on: December 07, 2017, 09:36:24 AM »
Youtube Adpocalypse :(
©@©™

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #18925 on: December 07, 2017, 03:18:44 PM »
I'm guessing this first world in Cuphead is supposed to be pretty easy otherwise I'm gonna blast through this thing in like 2 hours...

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18926 on: December 07, 2017, 03:23:11 PM »
Episode was decent though. Short and sweet. He's been releasing quite a few real quick so they probably do have money issues.

Could be outside money issues, but it's more likely that they're not bringing in as much from traditional ad revenue like they were before. I've seen a number of Youtubers I follow go to sponsored videos and merch promotion recently.
dog

Corporal

« Reply #18927 on: December 07, 2017, 06:08:11 PM »
The ad revenue sharing is probably down in the dumps. Between adblockers and the always resurfacing controversies about YouTube I bet a bunch of ad partners have been thinking about running off to other sites. I mean, what else could make google move like the recent announcement about actual live humans doing actual reviews. Mustbe pretty bad.

Anyway.

Been playing Xenogears Chronicles 2. Got my second rare Blade. It's a pole dancer in a miniskirt that's so short you can see her underwear even if she stands perfectly still. And her tits jiggle as if DOAX algorithms went haywire. And she pole-dances around her spear as a means to do a special kick attack. And one of her idle animations has her half-kneel in front of the male lead.

I can feel my humanity being drained away. Soon, I will throw myself at a random female and try to hump her leg.

Especially since I just arrived at a hotel with hot springs in the game. I KNOW WHERE THIS IS GOING.
!list

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18928 on: December 07, 2017, 08:50:05 PM »
Been continuing to build up my Playstation collections and am really finding it hard nowadays to get accurate descriptions of games from Amazon sellers.  Order a game on the cheap and receive an Asian region or PAL copy.  Not what I want as a collector.  Order a used game listed as "like new" and get a shitty, scratched up disc with a torn manual and/or insert.   No way to tell if the copy is greatest hits or not. 

Been turning to eBay instead and it's the opposite, with good descriptions and photos of everything.  Better prices a lot of the time, too.  Damn, Amazon, what happened?
ど助平

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #18929 on: December 07, 2017, 10:42:25 PM »
I've always been curious how well (or how average) the revenue was and is for those minor YouTube celebrities (like AVGN, H3H3, RLM, SBFP, etc...) and it's really enough to support a cottage industry long term. I guess it's big enough that several tens of thousands would rush for gold on YouTube or Twitch. I guess videos that are enduringly popular (like some of the AVGN ones) will continue to trickle ad money not unlike royalties.

I like the AVGN but I think that series long hit its natural shelf life. He's also now selling the episodes of his peak years on DVD, which I guess yeah why not though his videos never had the production value to justify that.

Honestly sounds like a pretty precarious and grueling career.
ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18930 on: December 07, 2017, 10:48:04 PM »
Seems like a lot of Youtubers are making decent money off Twitch streaming, at least compared to what they're getting now from Youtube ad revenue. The main thing about Twitch is that viewers can directly donate cash to the person their watching, and a lot of them do [along with monthly subs].

Especially for people on the low end of things. There's a heavy incentive to stream as much as they possibly can to keep their small audience engaged and willing to pay out, from articles I've read a lot of them get burned out really easily from overwork.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18931 on: December 07, 2017, 11:28:52 PM »
I've always been curious how well (or how average) the revenue was and is for those minor YouTube celebrities (like AVGN, H3H3, RLM, SBFP, etc...) and it's really enough to support a cottage industry long term. I guess it's big enough that several tens of thousands would rush for gold on YouTube or Twitch. I guess videos that are enduringly popular (like some of the AVGN ones) will continue to trickle ad money not unlike royalties.

I like the AVGN but I think that series long hit its natural shelf life. He's also now selling the episodes of his peak years on DVD, which I guess yeah why not though his videos never had the production value to justify that.

I still enjoy AVGN videos and he still makes some creative and interesting stuff (like the Polybius episode).  Don't particularly care about Mike n' friends videos or their general opinions on whatever, but that's OK.  Not like I have to watch it.

The AVGN movie they made was straight garbage.  I didn't expect much...and was still let down by it. 

The revenue side of things seems pretty difficult for Youtubers.  Seems like if you're not at the top, you're going to have a hard time.  So you have people streaming elsewhere or turning to Patreon.  To see someone spiraling downhill, look no further than DarkSydePhil.  Dude needs to go out and get himself a job already.
ど助平

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #18932 on: December 08, 2017, 01:43:56 AM »
supposedly there's an algorithm youtube employs?

think the gist of it is the more frequently you upload, the more your videos are actually promoted (or something like that)

seems like a stressful tactic

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18933 on: December 08, 2017, 03:51:36 AM »
I'm old, and sometimes a jerk, so maybe this is one of those things, but I've got zero sympathy for people who try to make a living from trying to be funny while playing video games. My intolerance is exacerbated by a poll last year that said most Japanese children's #1 choice of career was "YouTuber." JFC, that is not a career, it's not a skill — it's like throwing yourself to the worst part of the devouring wolves of celebrity.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18934 on: December 08, 2017, 03:51:58 AM »

Svejk

« Reply #18935 on: December 08, 2017, 07:33:08 AM »
So isn't there suppose to be a Monster Hunter World Beta dropping today?  I need to get on that... not seeing it on PSN...

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18936 on: December 08, 2017, 07:36:20 AM »
supposedly there's an algorithm youtube employs?

think the gist of it is the more frequently you upload, the more your videos are actually promoted (or something like that)

seems like a stressful tactic

They also have to worry about losing monetization, which is happening more and more frequently.  I notice that the people with actual real jobs, who do YT for fun, are totally fine with everything, but then the people who made this their "career" are sweating bullets.   :doge 

And then you have people like Jim Sterling, who found a way to create "content deadlocks" (which is why he has random footage of stuff like Skeleton Warriors for a second or two in his videos), so that if his stuff gets flagged, none of the companies trying to profit from it will get any money either.  :lol
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18937 on: December 08, 2017, 07:37:11 AM »
So isn't there suppose to be a Monster Hunter World Beta dropping today?  I need to get on that... not seeing it on PSN...

It starts at 12:00 PM EST, IIRC. PS Plus is required.
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18938 on: December 08, 2017, 09:40:19 AM »
Romancing Saga 2 out on all platforms under the sun December 15

This was already released on iOS/Android

https://twitter.com/SaGa25kawazu/status/939083337804550144
fat

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #18939 on: December 08, 2017, 10:13:02 AM »
I'm old, and sometimes a jerk, so maybe this is one of those things, but I've got zero sympathy for people who try to make a living from trying to be funny while playing video games. My intolerance is exacerbated by a poll last year that said most Japanese children's #1 choice of career was "YouTuber." JFC, that is not a career, it's not a skill — it's like throwing yourself to the worst part of the devouring wolves of celebrity.

I guess it's not that different from being a front facing entertainer. Which aren't the most comfy, secure or easiest career to pick up either. With the added problem you're locked to a couple platforms. It's really the worst of all worlds.
ὕβρις

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #18940 on: December 08, 2017, 10:33:40 AM »
I beat the dragon in Cuphead. Apparently the hardest boss? The people bitching about the difficulty must've never played anything from before the 360/PS3 era.

Corporal

« Reply #18941 on: December 08, 2017, 10:45:01 AM »
Oho. Worth a buy? Never played the Romancing Saga games, not sure how they hold up nowadays.
!list

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18942 on: December 08, 2017, 11:27:53 AM »
it's good they're porting romancing saga 2 remake bc i think the mobile version bombed HARD.

Oho. Worth a buy? Never played the Romancing Saga games, not sure how they hold up nowadays.

i liked what I played of it. it ofc has the infamous rng randomization, but it also has this cool system where you take over as a character's revenant each time your main character dies.
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18943 on: December 08, 2017, 11:32:24 AM »

i like that there's so much independently created content because you can find plenty of stuff that appeals to you if you look. i don't like the douchebag internet celebrities that gain notoriety by being loud dickheads and always seem to get around the policies of these sites.
pcp

« Reply #18944 on: December 08, 2017, 12:08:42 PM »

Here in Brazil we have people offering classes on how to be a youtuber, and charging money for it too. Is that a widespread thing?

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #18945 on: December 08, 2017, 12:13:54 PM »

Better to survive doing what you love than what you hate though. Plus the job landscape will change dramatically in the next 10 years, so a lot of the jobs of today will be gone. This is will inevitably affect the career prospect landscape also.

time a changin

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #18946 on: December 08, 2017, 01:03:31 PM »
it's good they're porting romancing saga 2 remake bc i think the mobile version bombed HARD.

i liked what I played of it. it ofc has the infamous rng randomization, but it also has this cool system where you take over as a character's revenant each time your main character dies.
Sorry, but I'm not up to speed on the whole infamous rng randomization. What's that like? I'd love to get a JRPG on my switch for when I complete some other games, this seems it might be a good choice but I want to know more.
que

paprikastaude

« Reply #18947 on: December 08, 2017, 01:12:52 PM »

I always find certain channels very pathetic whenever there's a slight chance of YT payment policies changing or publishers making use of their right not to let talentless streamers profit off their games. You'll immediately get some pre-made speech about how they are longtime fans and other nonsense about why they totally deserve to get paid for having a cam and games, while trying to get their adolescent userbase to harass developers. There's quite a few people I follow on YT, but I don't really feel for them. They can consider themselves happy for getting into the bubble at the right time, but you can only blame yourself when you're overreliant on "internet money".
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 01:18:02 PM by Spieler1 »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18948 on: December 08, 2017, 02:59:01 PM »

Sorry, but I'm not up to speed on the whole infamous rng randomization. What's that like? I'd love to get a JRPG on my switch for when I complete some other games, this seems it might be a good choice but I want to know more.

haven't played much of the saga series but as far as I understand it there's a degree of randomness to when and how you level, and when and which new abilities you learn. so you could win five fights and learn a fire spell but did in the next fight. reload and win the battles and you learned a new physical attack, and you get the fire spell like two hours later. it doesn't use the typical rpg leveling system.
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18949 on: December 08, 2017, 04:13:09 PM »
Romancing Saga is a series by Kawazu, who is known for "making" what people consider the worst Final Fantasy (2) because of the fact that level up stats are random (when they're actually not, there's a method behind it). Romancing Saga originally launched on SNES

I havent actually played the Romancing Saga series but there's various other games you may have heard of with similar mechanics

Saga Frontier
Final Fantasy Legend (GB)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akitoshi_Kawazu
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18950 on: December 09, 2017, 02:00:47 AM »

Finally
fat

bluemax

« Reply #18951 on: December 09, 2017, 03:10:21 AM »

This was already released on iOS/Android

https://twitter.com/SaGa25kawazu/status/939083337804550144

The only question for me is if I rebuy on Switch on PS4, probably Switch.

I dropped 40+ hours on the mobile version, it is such a good game. RS2 is probably the most forgiving SaGa game because of the Emperor system.

In some SaGa games, stat growth is somewhat similar to FF2 wherein you gain stats based on some random factors relating to how often you do an action and your relative strength in comparison to the enemies.

In general when playing RS2 on mobile I found myself at relatively good power levels until later in the game where my lack of tech/magic focus kinda caught up to me. Sparking techs is way more important than stats in my opinion. In general though the game doesn't want you to grind and avoiding battles is important to getting certain scenarios to trigger. The remake version however has a bonus dungeon where you can grind without it advancing the battle counter, so later on that kinda becomes the place to try and spark techs.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 03:19:58 AM by bluemax »
NO

paprikastaude

« Reply #18952 on: December 09, 2017, 07:35:12 AM »
So... is Medievil a good game?

paprikastaude

« Reply #18953 on: December 09, 2017, 08:11:10 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #18954 on: December 09, 2017, 09:31:08 AM »
Details to what?

paprikastaude

« Reply #18955 on: December 09, 2017, 10:04:29 AM »
Shadows Die Twice (link only visible on twitter...).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 10:09:50 AM by Spieler1 »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #18956 on: December 09, 2017, 04:39:43 PM »
Did From Software steal Swery65’s title generator?
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #18957 on: December 09, 2017, 04:51:02 PM »
Obviously a new Tenchu game.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18958 on: December 09, 2017, 05:16:16 PM »
play wow
pcp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18959 on: December 09, 2017, 06:22:25 PM »

Better to survive doing what you love than what you hate though. Plus the job landscape will change dramatically in the next 10 years, so a lot of the jobs of today will be gone. This is will inevitably affect the career prospect landscape also.

time a changin

People should do what they love, but not expect that they can make a living from it. My short run at professional blow-job receiver didn't end up paying out financially at all. To a lesser degree, the same logic can be applied to people who want to be paid for playing videogames.

You are correct about the job landscape changing though. It's just not going to get better. The "gig economy" is just an acceleration of a market which is turning increasingly temp, utterly shortsighted, and unreliable.