Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3020053 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #23400 on: December 14, 2019, 11:12:29 AM »
Something strange going on with my rig frens  :fbm

For reference I'm running a Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2070 Super paired with an i7 4790k and 24GB RAM.

Booted up EA Star Wars Battlefront II for the first time to play the campaign I have on my backlog and noticed some pretty bad framerates.
Like 20/30 fps bad. I figured it might be Ultra Settings but I looked up some benchmarks and I'm supposed to get 100fps @1440p on Ultra not 1/4th of that.

Battlefield V runs better but something strange there too, lots of stutter I didn't have before.  :-\
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #23401 on: December 14, 2019, 12:01:07 PM »
Reflections is the big thing, but yeah big AAA games have so many ways to fake light bounce, that in games like Control, you kind of need to squint to see it.
However in stuff like Quake and Minecraft, where an alternative was never in place, it's pretty massive.
Yeah, Minecraft is the ideal showcase. The on/off contrast is huge and the entire world is dynamic, which makes it really easy to demonstrate what the technology enables.

Something strange going on with my rig frens  :fbm

For reference I'm running a Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2070 Super paired with an i7 4790k and 24GB RAM.

Booted up EA Star Wars Battlefront II for the first time to play the campaign I have on my backlog and noticed some pretty bad framerates.
Like 20/30 fps bad. I figured it might be Ultra Settings but I looked up some benchmarks and I'm supposed to get 100fps @1440p on Ultra not 1/4th of that.

Battlefield V runs better but something strange there too, lots of stutter I didn't have before.  :-\
What have you tried so far? My first thought is it might be stuck on a low power state. Driver issues?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #23402 on: December 14, 2019, 12:13:02 PM »
Tried a few things that seem to have fixed some stuff and I think I have found the main issue.
- Removed Gigabyte Aorus Engine and replaced it with MSI after burner (reduced stuttering / crashes and slugginess in Windows)
- Deleted DX shader cache (removed stuttering)
- Disabled 2/3 displays (fixed flickering, because 2 are 60hz and 1 is 120hz)
- Manually set pagefile (increase from 4GB to 8GB, improved starting times)

Although it runs more stable, the framerate wouldn't budge much, so I ran some tests
- Kamino 32 vs 32 = 40 fps
- Kamino 5v5 = 140 fps
- Kamino 20 vs 20 = 60 fps

my friends, we have a CPU bottleneck.
Seems like the good 'ol 4790k is in need of replacement.
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #23403 on: December 14, 2019, 12:56:18 PM »
Wait, you never played anything where the CPU bottleneck was apparent?

I thought this was a sudden change, like something had broken. :lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #23404 on: December 14, 2019, 01:04:04 PM »
Wait, you never played anything where the CPU bottleneck was apparent?

I thought this was a sudden change, like something had broken. :lol
Well it didn't have any problems running BFV so it's kinda weird but there's no mistaken this is the problem.
Maybe lasers are more demanding than bullets?

Seems silly to replace the CPU now because new Intel chips are launching Q1 2020  :-\
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #23405 on: December 14, 2019, 01:06:50 PM »
So buy AMD. The 3000-series is great. ???

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #23406 on: December 15, 2019, 06:59:09 AM »
Looked up some benchmarks and YT videos for the 4790k and Battlefront 2 and paired with lesser cards it should run the game fine on Ultra @1440p and not at 30fps

https://abload.de/img/starwarsbattlefrontiimwkp8.png

Doesn't seem to bottleneck the GPU at all looking at the metrics. CPU = 70%, GPU = 99%.  ???

Loaded up 3D Mark and getting comparable scores in the mid tier range
https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/9699216/spy/9499144/spy/9501374#
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 07:20:06 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #23407 on: December 15, 2019, 07:50:30 AM »
Figured it out.

DX12 performance is broken  :heh

1440p ULTRA - DX12 ON = 20 - 30fps
1440p ULTRA - DX12 OFF = 120 - 150fps

Hell I can run it in 4k on my TV now  :rejoice

The other game I tried was BFV, which had me worried about the CPU.
But guess what, same engine, same issue   :gurl :comeon

Ah well, optimized a bunch of shit so it wasn't all a waste.
But I'm still thinking it's CPU related, in DX12 mode my CPU hits 40% - 67% tops, in DX11 mode it spins up to 99% if needed.
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #23408 on: December 15, 2019, 07:56:10 AM »
DX12 (and Vulcan) don't tax the CPU as much, that's not surprising.

The engine is probably just optimized for DX11, with DX12 bolted on after the fact.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #23409 on: December 15, 2019, 08:00:44 AM »
It's hilarious though a 100fps difference. Some speculation on the web that they might've enabled some RTX settings by mistake.  :doge
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #23410 on: December 15, 2019, 11:22:58 AM »
I read that as a 30fps difference, not 30fps total. Whew.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #23411 on: December 15, 2019, 12:07:56 PM »
Who could have predicted the next Half Life game coming out before The Last Night

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #23412 on: December 15, 2019, 07:22:35 PM »
Figured it out.

DX12 performance is broken  :heh

Broken shit? From MS?

:pika

:jeanluc

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #23413 on: December 15, 2019, 08:00:09 PM »
Could pass for a current gen game, in my opinion. :-\
Hopefully diminishing returns aren't already hitting this hard.

technically gpus are increasing steadily in power. but ppl gotta play their games at high resolutions to see these dating effects in the highest detail.
◕‿◕

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #23414 on: December 15, 2019, 08:27:13 PM »
Given how unfinished it is I assume Microsoft rushed Master Chief Collection (PC) out the door for Christmas? The 1 game that's playable isn't even fully functional. :goty

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Still logged too many hours in it already. :stahp
[close]

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #23415 on: December 16, 2019, 04:55:02 AM »
Comparin compressed to hell gifs isn't great, but I get what you're saying. I will say though, look at the refelctions on the first gif (already forgot what the game is called :lol). They're not shitty SSR. :hyper

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #23416 on: December 16, 2019, 05:47:19 AM »
God of War 2018 was so good :jeb

Fuck stro :steiner
Margs

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #23417 on: December 16, 2019, 06:32:07 AM »
Played a little bit of PUBG last night, hadnt played since forever

https://www.twitch.tv/mmarsu/clip/SpikyCallousSowMcaT

What a flashbang  :leon :mynicca
What

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #23418 on: December 16, 2019, 07:39:15 AM »
Hi

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #23419 on: December 16, 2019, 07:42:56 AM »

kingv

« Reply #23420 on: December 16, 2019, 11:06:47 AM »
Given how unfinished it is I assume Microsoft rushed Master Chief Collection (PC) out the door for Christmas? The 1 game that's playable isn't even fully functional. :goty

[close]

You are having the authentic MCC experience!

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #23421 on: December 16, 2019, 06:18:58 PM »
What

Raist

« Reply #23422 on: December 17, 2019, 05:33:41 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Bet you could find God of War gifs on  :reeeee that are looking just like that. Especially from Alfheim - there are colourful tress there.

I don't want to be bothered but that looks like no effort, F2P, CliffyB game that just needs to be out FIRST on the PS5 so the whales will start p(l)aying.

Yuck.

EDIT: 5 mins on Google:

To be fair, comparing to games from SSM, ND, GG, SP and the like is never going to work well.
Those guys have been making playstations sing (and sound like MIGs taking off) for decades.

Raist

« Reply #23423 on: December 17, 2019, 11:41:07 AM »

Chooky

« Reply #23424 on: December 17, 2019, 05:51:23 PM »
:whatisthis

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1206937771560112135

nice idea but why put a fucking oled screen on it? like the ds4 battery life isn't bad enough already

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #23425 on: December 17, 2019, 09:22:40 PM »
:whatisthis

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1206937771560112135

nice idea but why put a fucking oled screen on it? like the ds4 battery life isn't bad enough already
Agreed, but those paddle buttons should be standard.
Would remove the need to claw in Souls games.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #23426 on: December 18, 2019, 03:11:08 AM »

[close]

You are having the authentic MCC experience!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #23428 on: December 18, 2019, 11:26:45 AM »
At the Falcom shareholder meeting:

Hajimari no Kiseki announced, a new Trails game that takes place from 3 different perspectives and has 50 characters in it :O
Also enhanced editions of the Crossbell duology announced for PS4 :O

^_^

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #23429 on: December 18, 2019, 12:48:48 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23430 on: December 18, 2019, 12:50:36 PM »

Hajimari no Kiseki announced, a new Trails game that takes place from 3 different perspectives and has 50 characters in it :O

LETS GO BOIS :jeb
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #23431 on: December 18, 2019, 01:20:11 PM »

Yeah, they talked about the new Kiseki game earlier in the year (but didn't give specifics).
Basically they made it sound like The 3rd again. A dungeon crawler with all the characters + some that gives epilogue to some Cold Steel stuff and sets up new plotlines for the next arc in a couple years (probably 2022).
Even though they burned me hard with Cold Steel 4 which is the biggest letdowns of letdowns, I'll give this one a shot since 3rd is one of my favorites and hopefully they set up some interesting stuff for the next arc.

But yeah, nice that Zero/Ao can finally get localized. Best Kiseki gamessss

Freyj

« Reply #23432 on: December 18, 2019, 03:42:37 PM »
Was going to give the Zero / Ao fan translations a go before starting Cold Steel and now I’m not sure. Realistically we’re still talking probably 4-5 years before those remasters hit the US right?

Bebpo

« Reply #23433 on: December 18, 2019, 04:29:46 PM »
Was going to give the Zero / Ao fan translations a go before starting Cold Steel and now I’m not sure. Realistically we’re still talking probably 4-5 years before those remasters hit the US right?

Uhhh, that seems a bit excessive. I'm assuming they're doing this 100% for western localization purposes and probably already have a deal with someone for localization. If they're out in Japan in mid-2020 I'd expect the US release by 2021.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #23434 on: December 18, 2019, 05:26:16 PM »
NIS is having a panel at Pax South on Jan 17 where they'll be announcing new localizations... I'm hoping for lots of Falcom announcements, i.e. Ys IX, CS4, and the Crossbell remasters...
^_^

Freyj

« Reply #23435 on: December 19, 2019, 01:49:03 AM »

Uhhh, that seems a bit excessive. I'm assuming they're doing this 100% for western localization purposes and probably already have a deal with someone for localization. If they're out in Japan in mid-2020 I'd expect the US release by 2021.

Oh nice I assumed the Japanese release was years away. Still adjusting to the modern era of not announcing a game until much closer to release.

Coax

« Reply #23436 on: December 19, 2019, 03:06:41 AM »
*GOG Galaxy 2.0 updates*

Tried this over Galaxy 1.2 recently. I think the account aggregation feature is interesting although I don't personally use it and the UI looks nice in presentations/screenshots.

Things I'm not a big fan of:

- The new 2.0 layout removes games from being in the sidebar by default for quick access (in Galaxy 1.2 it showed installed games, in Steam's sidebar it shows all games). I knew this going in and it's understandable with the multi-account features. Despite this individual games can still be added as bookmarks to the sidebar but I don't find it as convenient since I use Galaxy only for GOG.com games.

- Tags and ratings from GOG.com/Galaxy 1.2 aren't carried over. This one is baffling since it's their own service and something Galaxy 1.2 had. I think I read that GOG have said it's not a priority at the moment  :wtf

- Large empty space added prominently to all game entries for friend features they expect users to add. I don't have any friends added on Galaxy and haven't linked my Steam account so this is something I'd prefer to have options to hide (including hiding other aggregation features that display in Recent for example).

- The way the dark UI backgrounds are handled. Given I use a dark, flat-looking Steam theme and dark themes for some of my most used programs and websites (though they're all more of a charcoal) I was expecting to like it more but it feels too moody. Some theme options would be nice.

- Randomly logged me out last I launched and displayed a log in window with no way to bypass it. I never recall this occurring in Galaxy 1.2, where I was always able to view my games even if it didn't detect the login. Strange decision when they could just show the account as 'not connected' instead as they've done in the past.

Things I like:

- Launches somewhat faster than 1.2 which could be rather slow to launch given its feature set.

- Dedicated downloads tab with all games that have available updates shown, similar to Steam.

- Ability to add non-GOG games manually, similar to Steam. The Community Integrations feature also allows for users to create and share additional services to integrate with Galaxy (using Python behind the scenes).

- Sublime Text Command Palette-esque Ctrl+F find modal search.

- Bookmarkable GOG.com pages that will appear in the sidebar.

- Taskbar jumplist showing recently played games and main tabs.

- Can natively customize game icons, banners and backgrounds used in the UI per-game (unsure if there's a restore default option, haven't tried yet).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 03:54:45 AM by Coax »

Bebpo

« Reply #23437 on: December 19, 2019, 03:45:52 AM »

Oh nice I assumed the Japanese release was years away. Still adjusting to the modern era of not announcing a game until much closer to release.

I don't think these are going to be remakes? They're just ports of the Vita game. Should take them a week to port it over.

RyoonZ

« Reply #23438 on: December 19, 2019, 04:09:38 AM »
Hoping for TiTS Trilogy and Nayuta Kai on PS4 as well so that I can get complete Trails platinum.

Freyj

« Reply #23439 on: December 19, 2019, 10:24:23 AM »
Do the Sky trilogy remasters contain additional content that needs translation? Odd that those aren’t on the PS4 by now.

Freyj

« Reply #23440 on: December 19, 2019, 03:00:05 PM »
Guan (@Gu4n) Tweeted:
Kondo answered the question about Zero and Ao Kai's timing by picking his words very carefully, saying "many want to play it on PS4, and Zero and Ao no Kiseki", wetting his lips, "were never released in English". https://t.co/ll0qUsNuMT

Bebpo

« Reply #23441 on: December 19, 2019, 03:04:53 PM »
Do the Sky trilogy remasters contain additional content that needs translation? Odd that those aren’t on the PS4 by now.

Don't think so. I think they just added VA and shittier portraits. Maybe remixed music. That's all the Evo remasters of Zero/Ao did iirc, though apparently they messed with the balance slightly (I didn't notice).

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #23442 on: December 19, 2019, 11:44:44 PM »
Apparently, the PS Classic is $20 at Gamestop. :doge

Has someone unfucked it's emulation?

bluemax

« Reply #23443 on: December 19, 2019, 11:58:24 PM »

Dunno, but unlike the NES/SNES classic, last I checked you couldn't write to it so all hacks involved having a USB drive plugged into it at all times.
NO

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #23444 on: December 20, 2019, 12:00:19 AM »
That wouldn't be a big deal for $20.

And I guess if it truly is awful, I could just use it as a Raspberry Pi shell.

Might as well wait for it to hit $10.
[close]

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #23445 on: December 20, 2019, 08:40:23 AM »

I got a couple for $30 and thought they were worth it.  It's ridiculously easy to add games and I haven't noticed any emulation/performance issues.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #23446 on: December 20, 2019, 10:42:22 AM »

No, it's basically a RetroPi. PS Classic's emulator isn't home made like Vita/PSP, it's just a fork of PCSX which you might as well run on Retroarch anyway for more control.

It's not a bad buy for $20 for most people, a lot of the work to get it hacked is plug and play and click install shit.
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #23447 on: December 20, 2019, 11:18:57 AM »
I keep thinking about buying it to emulate my collection, but then I always remember no analogue sticks :kobeyuck
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 11:23:07 AM by Spieler1 »

Chooky

« Reply #23448 on: December 20, 2019, 11:35:31 AM »
I keep thinking about buying it to emulate my collection, but then I always remember no analogue sticks :kobeyuck

exactly why it isn't worth it. who gives a fuck about the pre-97 ps1 library?

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #23449 on: December 20, 2019, 02:52:07 PM »

:brain :doge :nsfw
What

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #23450 on: December 20, 2019, 04:16:34 PM »
a shame shroud couldnt do that on stage. na cs lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #23451 on: December 20, 2019, 05:03:23 PM »
"I hate you guys"  :hmph

"Bae come over"  :(

"No"  :hmph

"We're selling the joint to Microsoft"  8)

"SAY NO MORE!" :hyper

https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/media/news/cd-projekt-s-a-solidifies-relationship-with-witcher-books-author-andrzej-sapkowski/
🤴

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #23452 on: December 20, 2019, 11:37:29 PM »

:rage

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #23453 on: December 22, 2019, 07:49:10 AM »
🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #23454 on: December 22, 2019, 12:07:33 PM »

Suikoden 1 and Arc the Lad 1 - although their sequels are much more iconic, the originals set the sequels up...
^_^

Chooky

« Reply #23455 on: December 22, 2019, 01:50:34 PM »
guys it was a joke i know ps1 had some good games before 97

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John