Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3061884 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #30300 on: May 23, 2022, 07:50:22 PM »
Seeing lots of tweets of journo's moving away from GamePass  ???

(Image removed from quote.)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
There seems to be some weird and sudden gamepass negativity amongst gaming stenographers :thinking
Why would people who get games for free and rush to complete them to be "part of the conversation" care about a service that provides a bunch of games they don't feel like they need to talk about on social media?

Tasty

« Reply #30302 on: May 23, 2022, 09:53:02 PM »
Is that a cloud atlas reference

Potato

• Senior's Member
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #30304 on: May 24, 2022, 01:52:52 AM »
https://twitter.com/PlayTrackerNet/status/1528740633241853953

Meme Power

Also on my list to play.
Maths was never my strength, but I'm pretty sure 2000 concurrent players is not a 1000% increase, even if the player count was only 300.

Someone who paid attention in maths class clarify for me
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30305 on: May 24, 2022, 03:24:52 AM »
You never played MGR?  :gurl

#ImpeachNintex
I started on PC but then it kept crashing during the tutorial after an Nvidia driver update and I never finished it.
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #30306 on: May 24, 2022, 04:49:44 AM »
Maths was never my strength, but I'm pretty sure 2000 concurrent players is not a 1000% increase, even if the player count was only 300.

(2000 - 300) / 300 x 100 = 566,67%

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #30307 on: May 24, 2022, 08:07:36 AM »

:nerds
Spud

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #30308 on: May 24, 2022, 09:17:18 AM »

What

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #30309 on: May 24, 2022, 10:44:18 AM »
You never played MGR?  :gurl

#ImpeachNintex
I started on PC but then it kept crashing during the tutorial after an Nvidia driver update and I never finished it.

Margs

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30310 on: May 24, 2022, 11:21:53 PM »
Valis: The Fantasm Soldier Collection II will launch for Switch on September 22 in Japan for 6,380 yen, publisher El Dia announced.

The second collection includes Valis IV (PC Engine), Syd of Valis (Genesis), and Valis: The Fantasm Soldier (Genesis), and Valis: The Fantasm Soldier (MSX). The “Sound Mode,” “Visual Mode,” and “Rewind Function” included in the original Valis: The Fantasm Soldier Collection will also return.

Watch a new trailer below.

ど助平

benjipwns

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30312 on: May 25, 2022, 03:07:06 PM »
Valis: The Fantasm Soldier Collection II will launch for Switch on September 22 in Japan for 6,380 yen, publisher El Dia announced.

The second collection includes Valis IV (PC Engine), Syd of Valis (Genesis), and Valis: The Fantasm Soldier (Genesis), and Valis: The Fantasm Soldier (MSX). The “Sound Mode,” “Visual Mode,” and “Rewind Function” included in the original Valis: The Fantasm Soldier Collection will also return.

Watch a new trailer below.

So many of these collection things. It's like they found a warehouse filled with old hard drives and source codes or something.  :thinking
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #30313 on: May 26, 2022, 09:53:02 AM »

Somehow missed out on this Q&A. One of the only games I'm actually looking forward to. It's basically the team that did Siren with Akira Yamaoka composing making a new horror game.

Seemingly an action title, so I hope it embraces the insane endings from the Siren games as a jump-off point.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30314 on: May 26, 2022, 03:14:35 PM »
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #30315 on: May 27, 2022, 11:06:41 AM »
No
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30316 on: May 27, 2022, 01:22:20 PM »
They fixed the framerate but added ghosting.

Almost there guys

Almost

https://twitter.com/windycornertv/status/1530177048462778368
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #30317 on: May 27, 2022, 01:42:23 PM »
Soyny :neogaf

(ice)

benjipwns

« Reply #30318 on: May 27, 2022, 02:29:26 PM »
You'd think Sony would be able to take DuckStation, XEBRA or whatever and use their internal knowledge to polish it up. (Or their own prior emulators.) PPSSPP is also remarkably close. PCSX2 is a bit of a mess but you'd also imagine that Sony would have the internal knowledge to do a lot with it.

Microsoft has obvious advantages as a software company but they looked at the existing emulators enough that they floated code back to the makers.

Just seems weird when billion dollar enterprises that produced the hardware can't outdo random groups of dudes. Also they seem to have a different opinion on what 1:1 means than everyone else.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30319 on: May 27, 2022, 02:43:52 PM »
Soyny :neogaf

Somewhere out there a poor programmer in India is crying rn.
🤴

paprikastaude

« Reply #30320 on: May 28, 2022, 01:40:10 AM »
What's hard to comprehend is how Jimmy McNeckbeard in a cave can emulate Ocarina of Time and Dino Crisis with new widescreen modes and double fps after one afternoon of work.

But none of these multibillion dollar companies can. M2 the only studio with decent work out there apparently. Before that Bluepoint in their early days for HD ports. But they are dead now, probably making new story IPs for Sony no one cares for.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #30321 on: May 28, 2022, 04:04:06 AM »
I am loving that 1:1 pixel mode. That's actually a 1:1 aspect ratio. Good stuff.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30322 on: May 28, 2022, 04:17:36 AM »
What's hard to comprehend is how Jimmy McNeckbeard in a cave can emulate Ocarina of Time and Dino Crisis with new widescreen modes and double fps after one afternoon of work.

But none of these multibillion dollar companies can. M2 the only studio with decent work out there apparently. Before that Bluepoint in their early days for HD ports. But they are dead now, probably making new story IPs for Sony no one cares for.
There is no career in this so most experienced developers focus on UE5 and other stuff. These emulators are then outsourced or made by jr devs.

The fan stuff are usually side projects from great developers working in other industries, retired or still in university.

There is also the issue of time and collaboration. Most community devs can spend up to a decade working on the same emulator, piggybacking on the work of others. Companies make this stuff with very limited resources.
🤴

paprikastaude

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30324 on: May 28, 2022, 03:44:58 PM »
A Mini Dreamcast would be wild but the Dreamcast was mostly popular in the US.
I think it would be cheaper and easier to do what Nintendo did with the NES/SNES/N64 Switch Online controllers and just re-release the controllers of old SEGA systems for Switch/PS5/Xbox.

Seems that the hype for these mini/retro consoles has dropped, Nintendo's Game & Watch things were heavily discounted last time I checked and PlayStation Mini's dropped to 29,99 shortly after release.

They're only more expensive now because they all got discontinued.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 03:50:33 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #30325 on: May 28, 2022, 04:23:31 PM »
Whatever it is, it will probably end up being disappointing :trumps
(ice)

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #30326 on: May 28, 2022, 06:02:37 PM »

Pretty nice Ys III homage.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 08:39:31 AM by D3RANG3D »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #30327 on: May 28, 2022, 08:56:00 PM »
Whatever it is, it will probably end up being disappointing :trumps
I mean, it's Sega. What are they if not disappointing. They even sponsored Arsenal at one point, which is very on brand for both.
Spud

paprikastaude

« Reply #30328 on: May 29, 2022, 11:47:34 AM »
Back to emulation: Last week's Pacman collection caught my eye, it looks pretty cool. I read up on it, apparently it's super glitched  :beli

So is this where we are at? Big companies can't even emulate the original Pacman anymore?
They put the effort in with a fancy minigame for the menu und achievements. Which is nice. But really, just get the games running normally, omg.

I was looking forward to Klonoa and Turtles, I hope at least they are good (i.e.  functional)

Svejk

« Reply #30329 on: May 29, 2022, 11:55:28 AM »
Back to emulation: Last week's Pacman collection caught my eye, it looks pretty cool. I read up on it, apparently it's super glitched  :beli

So is this where we are at? Big companies can't even emulate the original Pacman anymore?
They put the effort in with a fancy minigame for the menu und achievements. Which is nice. But really, just get the games running normally, omg.

I was looking forward to Klonoa and Turtles, I hope at least they are good (i.e.  functional)
Not can't, but won't..  It's like the bigger they get, the shittier the service.  Sounds on par like Amazon and every big bank out there. We'll up prices, bring quality down, and you will like it. :yeshrug

paprikastaude

« Reply #30330 on: May 29, 2022, 12:17:08 PM »
I mean, in this case they had the resources to create a whole metagame of building your own Pac-Man arcade. So it isn't even just a ROM dump. But they still fucked the most important part up apparently.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30332 on: May 31, 2022, 07:46:28 AM »

What's glitched?  I saw some reports of input lag (which also sucks) but not that.  Also looks like they went in and edited out Ms. Pac-Man out of some of the games?

Edit: Apparently on Xbox the game won't load for some people? :dizzy
ど助平

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #30333 on: May 31, 2022, 12:50:43 PM »
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 12:55:26 PM by D3RANG3D »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #30334 on: May 31, 2022, 01:22:32 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30335 on: May 31, 2022, 01:27:30 PM »
Hopefully they bumb the resolution too, I've been waiting for this to drop to finally finish the playthrough I started on the Xbox One X.
🤴

paprikastaude

« Reply #30336 on: May 31, 2022, 01:31:36 PM »

What's glitched?  I saw some reports of input lag (which also sucks) but not that.  Also looks like they went in and edited out Ms. Pac-Man out of some of the games?

Edit: Apparently on Xbox the game won't load for some people? :dizzy

Apparently sound bugs, achievements not progressing, etc
...on top of Pacman being a redundant game with input delay.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30337 on: May 31, 2022, 01:45:21 PM »
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #30338 on: May 31, 2022, 02:19:00 PM »
I wonder if Yoshi-P is gonna take over Hashimoto's position. My understanding was that Yoshi's been moving up the ladder and is pretty much brand manager for FF nowadays anyhow.

Bebpo

« Reply #30339 on: May 31, 2022, 02:21:33 PM »
https://twitter.com/HD_Kirin/status/1531577078482579456

Decently excited for this. The visual style for the characters, like FF12 holds up really well when running it through high resolution emulators and widescreen mods and the SaGa Frontier Remaster had a ton of gameplay/content improvements.

I could never get through Minstrel SaGa back on PS2. It's a bit too aimless & obscure for me. Hoping some of the new features both speed things up, increase quality of life, and add a little direction (like being able to see your battle rank or something). They've been doing great work with the SaGa remasters so it should be good. Think I'll finally get through it this time around.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #30341 on: May 31, 2022, 03:14:43 PM »
Breath of the Sonic: Forgotten Odyssey

Svejk

« Reply #30342 on: May 31, 2022, 03:47:59 PM »
Anyone else get some PSO vibes from that?  :what  Is the OG Sonic Team on Frontiers?

Other than that, seems kinda cool to me so far... Seems like a proper direction from the Adventure games.

Tasty

« Reply #30343 on: May 31, 2022, 03:52:42 PM »
Seems like a proper direction from the Adventure games.

True, but it also seems kind of... familiar...

[close]

Svejk

« Reply #30344 on: May 31, 2022, 03:59:51 PM »
Never did try 06 Sonix... Not sure if I should be shamed or be proud.  :heh

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30345 on: May 31, 2022, 07:40:47 PM »
Never did try 06 Sonix... Not sure if I should be shamed or be proud.  :heh
It was probably the closest we'll ever get to Sonic Adventure 3.
Overall it was a big fucking mess. They basically shipped an alpha build.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30346 on: May 31, 2022, 10:14:38 PM »
https://www.gematsu.com/2022/05/ys-net-announces-fantasy-shoot-em-up-air-twister-for-apple-arcade

Shenmue III developer YS NET and Shenmue series creator Yu Suzuki have announced fantasy shoot ’em up Air Twister for Apple Arcade. It will launch on June 24.

Will it be as good as 1985's Space Harrier?
:thinking

Probably not!
:heh
[close]
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #30347 on: May 31, 2022, 10:15:44 PM »
More rail shooters is only a good thing.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #30348 on: June 01, 2022, 07:36:57 AM »
Hopefully they bump the resolution too, I've been waiting for this to drop to finally finish the playthrough I started on the Xbox One X.

It already had a resolution close to 4K on the One X patch. 3584x2016 with dynamic scaling.

Svejk

« Reply #30349 on: June 01, 2022, 09:27:27 AM »
https://www.gematsu.com/2022/05/ys-net-announces-fantasy-shoot-em-up-air-twister-for-apple-arcade

Shenmue III developer YS NET and Shenmue series creator Yu Suzuki have announced fantasy shoot ’em up Air Twister for Apple Arcade. It will launch on June 24.

Will it be as good as 1985's Space Harrier?
:thinking

Probably not!
:heh
[close]
Thicc Harrier  :phil

:piss Anything Apple :piss2

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #30350 on: June 01, 2022, 11:03:51 AM »
I'm still pissed that that cool looking Sakaguchi rpg with the diorama-esque graphic style is locked to apple arcade.
^_^

Svejk

« Reply #30351 on: June 01, 2022, 02:37:29 PM »

I mean,... it looks ayeet  :yeshrug   Just looks like it's a tech sandbox with no purpose??  And holy crap, if that's the open world music, I think I'd eventually hang myself from being so damn melancholy.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 02:47:45 PM by Svejk »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #30352 on: June 01, 2022, 02:47:43 PM »
Did they just plop a bunch of game assets they made into a free Unreal 5 map? Needs a lot of work.

Movement on Sonic looks awful.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30353 on: June 01, 2022, 02:55:00 PM »
It's kind of amazing they are able to make a Sonic game this dull.  :doge
🤴

paprikastaude

« Reply #30354 on: June 01, 2022, 03:13:56 PM »
Sonic is one of the few franchises where open world could have been an improvement, because gotta go fast and movement gimmicks would make more sense in an open field.

Yet it looks just as clunky to play as those corridor games  :doge

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #30355 on: June 01, 2022, 03:25:53 PM »
yeah that shit looks like an asset flip :kobeyuck

it looks like some fan made garbage with objects and rails plopped around randomly with no rhyme or reason
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 03:30:34 PM by Pissy F Benny »
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #30356 on: June 01, 2022, 03:31:03 PM »
Last 3D sonic I played was Unleashed. It was a bad game that I stuck through to the end for the NEXT-GEN GFXX. Never again 3d Sonic. Never again...

It's kind of amazing they are able to make a Sonic game this dull.  :doge

You say this like terrible 3d Sonic games aren't the norm.

Svejk

« Reply #30357 on: June 01, 2022, 04:01:38 PM »
I've seen multiple Made in Dreams Sanic games that look better.  :doge

Somebody please buy Sega so they can stop embarrassing themselves.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #30358 on: June 01, 2022, 04:58:12 PM »
This is what Sonic died for?
What

Polident Hive

« Reply #30359 on: June 01, 2022, 05:11:25 PM »
I’ve played SAGE demos that’d be mistake for the new Sonic game. Whether that’s praise for the passionate sonic fan base or dogging SEGA, I haven’t decided.