Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3056903 times)

eleuin

• perennial loser
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #17700 on: May 21, 2017, 11:17:54 PM »
Picked up Deus ex MD for 18 and traded FFXV for Nier straight up  :rejoice

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17701 on: May 22, 2017, 12:48:47 AM »
BitSummit 2017 was pretty epic. I saw Line Wobbler, an experimental, one-dimensional dungeon crawler with custom controllers. It was amazing, both from an implementation standpoint, as well as a philosophical statement on what games are versus how they're presented:
http://aipanic.com/projects/wobbler

Nayan R. (@thetrin) and several other friends launched a new publishing effort, with four announced games which are apparently indie darlings. https://twitter.com/Dangen_Ent - Iconoclasts, Momodora, Crosscode, and one game that was too much like Castlevania for me to remember its actual name.

Q-Games showed off a mobile version of PixelJunk Eden, which I enjoyed on PS3. I bought a T-shirt.

Sho Nuff's GalakZ game had a VR version of it that was the fucking smart-bomb.

Anyway, it was all great, best and smartest version of the show to-date. I miss some of the clumsy fumbling of the earlier ones, but that's just nostalgia.

chronovore

• relapsed dev

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #17704 on: May 24, 2017, 12:08:48 PM »
Hopefully it doesn't end up like Slain.

Exact worry i had though good on the dev of slain to actually listen and "fix" the game and re-release it. It's still really punishing but combat actually works now lol.

archie4208

« Reply #17705 on: May 24, 2017, 08:15:48 PM »

The Castlevania Netflix series looks good.  Color me surprised.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #17706 on: May 25, 2017, 02:37:50 PM »
seriously all they needed to do was make ff7 with better graphics and fixed camera angles. add in some more story scenes and a new gameplay mechanic or two and bam you've got like 6-8 million copies of the game sold guaranteed. instead it's a reimagining that'll be in dev hell forever because Nomura has dirt on Squeenix heads that makes him invincible.
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #17707 on: May 25, 2017, 02:48:29 PM »
the Midgar section might have the best pacing of any section in a jrpg ever. no one wants some Ubisoft bullshit added to it.
pcp

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #17708 on: May 25, 2017, 03:32:44 PM »
can't wait for Final Fantasy VII Episodes: Act I - Midgar's Fall, coming Summer 2023
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17709 on: May 26, 2017, 12:51:26 AM »
I like how you guys think Squeenix does stuff that makes sense. Your optimism is a breath of minty-fresh air.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #17710 on: May 26, 2017, 09:02:32 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/6dchmk/nintendo_issued_a_huge_consoleban_wave_to_owners/

So wait, people with modded 3DSes can just go on the eShop and download everything for free?
Yeah.

Short version is that the eShop does all of its authentication clientside, and that said authentication depends on the presence of a ticket file for each game, on the order of a few KB in size.

So people just pirate those few KB through the usual channels and then pirate the games from the official servers.

WHAT!? :rofl

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #17711 on: May 26, 2017, 09:24:59 AM »
i feel like they did something similar for disc/OS checks on the Wii

so the usb drive loader thing would just tell it the key it wanted for whichever game it was

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #17712 on: May 26, 2017, 09:52:11 AM »
Hopefully it doesn't end up like Slain.

Slain's pretty good now. I didn't play it when it released but they fixed a lot of the problems people had with it.
nat

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #17713 on: May 26, 2017, 04:10:26 PM »
zelda2 is good actually.  :ufup it has some issues, but with a faq to figure out how to get at the old men in the villages and how to access dungeons it's pretty nice. I prefer the linear side-scrollers on the NES, but zelda2 is prolly comparable in quality to something like faxanadu.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #17714 on: May 26, 2017, 04:42:43 PM »
zelda 1 is still alright except for that bullshit second quest
pcp

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #17715 on: May 26, 2017, 07:54:01 PM »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #17716 on: May 27, 2017, 10:18:10 AM »
Sooooo muchhhhh feeelsssss

^_^

Coax

« Reply #17717 on: May 27, 2017, 11:04:59 AM »
Sooooo muchhhhh feeelsssss

The Japanese know how to make these type of 'good old days' commercials. For PES 2016:

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #17718 on: May 28, 2017, 03:10:00 AM »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #17719 on: May 28, 2017, 10:04:07 AM »

Hmm, I thought this was a 'bone exclusive? Glad to see they wisened up... will have to get this, this gen has been lacking for good shmups.
^_^

chronovore

• relapsed dev

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #17721 on: May 29, 2017, 04:01:10 PM »

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #17722 on: May 29, 2017, 04:40:16 PM »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #17723 on: May 29, 2017, 04:42:12 PM »
see ya in hell, shitbag

spoiler (click to show/hide)
cant believe i chose one of those over a 360 because of metal fucking gear 4
[close]
pcp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17724 on: May 29, 2017, 10:27:14 PM »
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/05/24/final-fantasy-vii-remake-team-urgently-recruiting-heres-message-key-staff/#EKOPLziTl5ryrBHi.99

All the while Nomura stans still copping pleas and pretending FFXV wasn't a great game. This dude should either go back to art under heavy supervision or be fired for fucking up so bad. Sakaguchi deserved better.

I came here to post the BAshcraft article, only to find I have been beaten to the punch by days. DAYS~!

Raist

« Reply #17725 on: May 30, 2017, 04:11:05 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #17726 on: May 30, 2017, 03:08:04 PM »
FYI, Danger Zone, aka Crash Mode from Burnout by the ex-Criterion heads is out for $12 and the entire studio is dependent on how it does. Made by 6 people over 3-4 months, it's 20 crash junctions with leaderboards. I bought it to do my part and because crash mode in burnout was fun as hell. Hopefully it sells enough to keep them afloat.

Here's an interview by Alex Ward about a month ago talking realistically about what their studio can and cannot do:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-26-the-creators-of-burnout-are-making-a-crash-mode-spiritual-successor-called-danger-zone

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #17727 on: May 30, 2017, 07:15:04 PM »
Just stumbled upon this game while hopping around YouTube:

Anyone else here play this before? It looks right up my alley but I wanted to get some Borian testimonies before buying it.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17728 on: May 30, 2017, 07:21:47 PM »
I haven't played it, but I watched a series of videos where four guys [tried] to play it. What I gleaned from them is that the game becomes incredibly complex and increasingly difficult to maintain as it progresses. I wouldn't try to play it by myself, for sure.
dog

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #17729 on: May 30, 2017, 10:42:51 PM »
The only people I know who like that game are programmers.

Raist

« Reply #17730 on: May 31, 2017, 10:31:38 AM »
Factorio is to Sim-type games as EVE is to space flight sims. You need fucking excel spreadsheets and stuff.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #17731 on: May 31, 2017, 06:15:56 PM »

The only people I know who like that game are programmers.

Factorio is to Sim-type games as EVE is to space flight sims. You need fucking excel spreadsheets and stuff.

Goddamnit.  :doge

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #17732 on: May 31, 2017, 06:54:14 PM »
Play Anno 1404 for something similar but much less opaque. You can special fellow out about things there as well (optimal crop placement and such), but it's a lot more laid back to play. And it still looks gorgeous. There are some indie offerings from a couple cears back, too, Banished and Planetbase most notably (in my memory, anyway), but I've only seen videos, so...

Shuri

« Reply #17733 on: May 31, 2017, 09:32:23 PM »
zelda2 is good actually.  :ufup it has some issues, but with a faq to figure out how to get at the old men in the villages and how to access dungeons it's pretty nice. I prefer the linear side-scrollers on the NES, but zelda2 is prolly comparable in quality to something like faxanadu.
It was mind blowing when it came out. Compared to other games at the time, it felt crazy to be able to explore such a vast world. I've recently rediscovered Faxanadu, and it's pretty damn fun, if a bit grindy (nothing some game genie magic cant fix), but still.

I just don't get the Zelda 2. It was huge when it came out.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #17734 on: June 01, 2017, 12:27:44 AM »
ok but what about battle of olympus
pcp

chronovore

• relapsed dev

archie4208

« Reply #17736 on: June 01, 2017, 08:29:53 AM »
http://gematsu.com/2017/06/rumor-life-strange-prequel-deck-nine-games-images-leaked

Apparently a Life is Strange prequel is in development, however it isn't the season 2 by Dontnod.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #17737 on: June 01, 2017, 09:14:46 AM »
square Enix also just announced they're making a aaa game with people can fly
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
pcp

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #17739 on: June 04, 2017, 08:49:20 PM »

PSN is having a Capcom sale. So Breath of Fire 3 PSP is finally $5 like I wanted it to be for a while. Picked that up and picked up a digital copy of DMC1-3 collection since it's $5.

:obama

Sale ends tomorrow, so you guys in the US/NA region might want to pick through it if anything catches your fancy.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #17740 on: June 04, 2017, 09:32:35 PM »
http://gematsu.com/2017/06/rumor-life-strange-prequel-deck-nine-games-images-leaked

Apparently a Life is Strange prequel is in development, however it isn't the season 2 by Dontnod.

I'm interested to see how they make a prequel to a game about a relationship and timeshifting without either of those things

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17741 on: June 04, 2017, 10:05:54 PM »
It has to have something to do with the Marvel deal, right? Doubt it'll be a new IP or anything like that.

Squeenix partnering with an FPS developer? Time for DIRGE OF CEREBUS 2!

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #17742 on: June 04, 2017, 10:30:55 PM »
It has to have something to do with the Marvel deal, right? Doubt it'll be a new IP or anything like that.

Squeenix partnering with an FPS developer? Time for DIRGE OF CEREBUS 2!

:bow Dirge of Lightning :bow2
©@©™

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #17743 on: June 05, 2017, 05:25:49 AM »
Femme Cloud pls go
Hi

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #17744 on: June 06, 2017, 05:09:59 PM »

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #17745 on: June 06, 2017, 09:13:39 PM »
I'm in need of a new MMORPG. Ashes of Creation's launch is way too far away. There are some good looking ones coming out. Been waiting for Lost Ark for like 3 years.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17746 on: June 06, 2017, 09:30:58 PM »
I'm in need of a new MMORPG. Ashes of Creation's launch is way too far away. There are some good looking ones coming out. Been waiting for Lost Ark for like 3 years.

Elder Scrolls Online has a new Morrowind expansion out. The Old Republic had a new, massive expansion out last year. Final Fantasy XIV has a new expansion coming up soon. Those are pretty alright, as far as MMOs go.
dog

Raist

« Reply #17747 on: June 07, 2017, 05:52:54 AM »
Big summer sale on GOG. Go get the Anno collection for £10, Atra.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #17748 on: June 07, 2017, 06:15:31 AM »
A slew of new GOG Connect titles became available, too.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #17749 on: June 07, 2017, 06:04:00 PM »
did it come free with a game maybe?
pcp

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #17750 on: June 07, 2017, 06:25:35 PM »
4 CD Set offered while supplies last by some retailers for pre-ordering the US version of "The King of Fighters XIII" for PS3 and Xbox 360.
©@©™

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #17751 on: June 07, 2017, 09:30:30 PM »
Can't get Civ 5 to work on my laptop at the moment... probably Windows 10 related.

What are some other 4x games that would be relatively relaxing to play?  :doge

Raist

« Reply #17752 on: June 08, 2017, 12:16:21 AM »
Stellaris

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17753 on: June 08, 2017, 08:52:53 AM »
My son's telling me that Horizon's Japanese SE with a book or something is on sale, used, at the local electronics store for ¥5000. "I don't think it will go any lower than that!"

Ah, my sweet, summer child. Not only will it go lower, your gambit is painfully transparent.

…and I'm out of space on my bookshelf.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #17754 on: June 08, 2017, 07:04:03 PM »
the rest of us are disgusted
pcp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #17755 on: June 08, 2017, 07:27:15 PM »

ulilililililia must be sperging out right now.

This is not a franchise that needed reviving.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17756 on: June 08, 2017, 07:41:32 PM »
Would rather have an HD remaster of the Gex games, to be honest.
dog

FatalT

« Reply #17757 on: June 08, 2017, 09:16:38 PM »

I'm interested to see how they make a prequel to a game about a relationship and timeshifting without either of those things

Something tells me Rachel had some sort of powers, which is why you saw the deer spirit around all the time and then it left after visiting her grave. Plus it'd be neat to see Chloe go from good girl to punk ass. I'm down. I want more lore. JANITOR MAN I KNOW YOU GOT SOME NATIVE AMERICAN SECRETS YOU'RE HIDIN WITH THE TOTEM POLES AND SPIRIT ANIMALS AND SQUIRREL TALK.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #17758 on: June 08, 2017, 10:21:51 PM »

Something tells me Rachel had some sort of powers, which is why you saw the deer spirit around all the time and then it left after visiting her grave. Plus it'd be neat to see Chloe go from good girl to punk ass. I'm down. I want more lore. JANITOR MAN I KNOW YOU GOT SOME NATIVE AMERICAN SECRETS YOU'RE HIDIN WITH THE TOTEM POLES AND SPIRIT ANIMALS AND SQUIRREL TALK.

I was almost convinced that the
spoiler (click to show/hide)
development complex the Prescott family was in the middle of constructing was on some ancient Native American burial site, which was the cause of the tornado... the development complex thread was just totally dropped as time went on. And yeah, also thought that Rachel had the powers too...
[close]
^_^

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #17759 on: June 09, 2017, 03:53:19 PM »

Good point. And tbh I enjoyed the overall tone of LIS more than any individual element, so as long as it's similar in that respect I'll probably be satisfied