Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3018837 times)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #29160 on: November 15, 2021, 08:12:09 PM »
Because PC gaming is for distinguished mentally-challenged fellows and mods are illegal? Food for thought
Kung Fu mod is worth a couple of years with an ankle monitor.

I can't even imagine Max Payne without it, tbh.

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #29161 on: November 16, 2021, 02:21:36 AM »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 06:58:12 AM by who is ted danson? »
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #29162 on: November 16, 2021, 04:24:47 AM »
Original Xbox games are also automatically graphically boosted in the BC program. Think they get a 4x pixel boost and 16x AF. They also support HDR, but since it's an AI thing it's hit or miss.

It's still a pretty cool way to play these old games

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #29163 on: November 16, 2021, 11:11:48 AM »

:confused
(ice)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29164 on: November 16, 2021, 09:23:13 PM »
Monte Gallo will release Jumping Flash!– and Pilot Wings-inspired first-person platformer Forza Polpo in Early Access for PC via Steam on November 24, the developer announced.

The Early Access version of the game will ship with the first half of the game, which is made up of eight zones. The full game will contain at least 16 zones, new enemies and assets, aesthetic upgrades, advanced gameplay mechanics, further language support, and other improvements. The Early Access period is expected to last “around a few months.”

Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:

About

It is the year 199X, and the world has been destroyed like it’s an anime. Use your brave tiny octopus robot to traverse a Japan frozen in time and place to defeat the evil Dr. Prometheus in this 90s-inspired and 2020-made action game full of neon, lasers, and tiny robots.

Bring back the ’90s! Inspired by the classic 1990s games Jumping Flash! and Pilot Wings, Forza Polpo is a pretty hardcore arcade / simulation / platform game. The world and story are 90s though—with love for the lost decade.

ど助平

Tuckers Law

« Reply #29165 on: November 16, 2021, 11:57:37 PM »
Okay that’s awesome, but I’m curious about what the aspects which are Pilotwings-inspired.

Beezy

« Reply #29166 on: November 17, 2021, 10:20:03 AM »
These EVGA 3060/3070/3080 bundles aren't terrible if you plan on starting a new build: https://www.antonline.com/evga/graphicscards/bundles

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #29167 on: November 17, 2021, 03:58:06 PM »
I wondered why they focused on Max Payne so much, it's not like it makes any sense to NOT play it on PC, with the trillion mods available.
I guess the same is even more true for Bethesda rpgs.
Xbox BC team has always been clear that the games that make the list are not necessarily ones they focused on but ones that happened to work out because of what they had focused on and then they put in the time to polish them off. Now, I'm not saying they didn't focus on Max Payne just that they might not have.

The first two Max Payne's also share the same engine, and Max Payne 3 shares the RAGE engine with other games, the Bethesda games listed also have same engine roots. It's not a surefire method to get games working but it certainly helps get games working when this is the case. (i.e. they get Max Payne 2 working deliberately and Max Payne 1 works like 75% there or something. This tends to be most obvious with UE games.)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #29168 on: November 17, 2021, 04:13:03 PM »
No i meant from a marketing perspective, at the event.
But i guess Max Payne is more popular than Otogi... you could've had that FROM name drop tho.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #29169 on: November 18, 2021, 07:12:57 AM »

Finally some innovation in the PC gaming sphere.

who is ted danson?

« Reply #29170 on: November 18, 2021, 09:49:00 AM »
RE backwards compatibility and licensing:

I was wondering to myself why the PGR games weren't on the BC programme: MS own the rights/games fully (as far as I am as aware) and they still release licensed racing games like Forza to this day. BUT they also delist them after 4 years because of licensing reasons...

So I went looking, and Ian Bell (Slightly Mad/Project CARS) said in 2018 prestige licenses can cost $100k+, AND a revenue cut.

So I think the PGR games will forever be stuck on the older systems (and the older Forza's, and other old beloved racing games...) as the initial licensing hurdle is probably just too big, especially for 4x PGR games.

In summary: Fuck car manufacturers, buy a bike.   :juche
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #29171 on: November 18, 2021, 12:45:51 PM »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #29172 on: November 18, 2021, 01:43:37 PM »

Looks much higher quality than the nickelodeon one.
Animations and designs looks great.
Interesting to see Arya, since it means adapting live action WB characters is a possibility, they could have Neo and shit.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #29173 on: November 18, 2021, 01:45:20 PM »
Pulling for Tony Soprano myself
Margs

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #29174 on: November 18, 2021, 03:31:13 PM »
I'm saving my pulls for the SSR Lebron.
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29175 on: November 18, 2021, 07:32:03 PM »
Been looking at PC audio options to replace my broken Z5500.

Most PC speakers suck, it's either only 2.0 or 2.1 or some 'gamer' shit with no bass and an RGB light.
Soundbars seem like an interesting option but now I'm kinda torn between the LG SP8, DS7 or SN4.

The SN4 is the cheapest at 99 which seems adequate for a soundbar, it lacks real DTS:X though, only comes with DTS Virtual:X.
The DS7 doesn't have a seperate subwoofer and I think it would lack the bass I want. It has DTS:X / Atmos.

There's now a Black Friday Deal for the SP8 which slashes the price from 699 to 329.
It has all the bells and whistles like a seperate subwoofer and DTS:X / Atmos. But I feel like this is more something suited to put under my TV.
Admittedly it would be fitting to replace my Sony 5.1 Home Cinema set from 2011 but that would still leave me without a PC speaker set-up.  :doge
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29176 on: November 19, 2021, 02:23:04 PM »
A Note from the Rockstar Games Team RE: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition
November 19, 2021

Hi everyone,

We want to provide an update regarding the unexpected technical issues that came to light as part of the launch of Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition.

Firstly, we want to sincerely apologize to everyone who has encountered issues playing these games.

The Grand Theft Auto series — and the games that make up this iconic trilogy — are as special to us as we know they are to fans around the world. The updated versions of these classic games did not launch in a state that meets our own standards of quality, or the standards our fans have come to expect.

We have ongoing plans to address the technical issues and to improve each game going forward. With each planned update, the games will reach the level of quality that they deserve to be.

A new Title Update is on the way in the coming days for all versions of Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition that will address a number of issues. We will update everyone as soon as it is live.

In the meantime, it pains us to mention that we are hearing reports of members of the development teams being harassed on social media. We would kindly ask our community to please maintain a respectful and civil discourse around this release as we work through these issues.

While one of the goals of the Definitive Editions was to allow players to enjoy these games on modern platforms for many years to come, we also understand that some of you would still like to have the previous classic versions available for purchase.

We will be adding the classic PC versions of Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas back to the Rockstar Store shortly as a bundle. Additionally, everyone who has purchased Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition for PC from the Rockstar Store through June 30, 2022, will receive these classic versions in their Rockstar Games Launcher library at no additional cost. We will update everyone as soon as these are back in the Rockstar Store.

Once again, we'd like to thank everyone for their patience and understanding while we work through these updates to ensure these games meet everyone's justifiably high standards.

Sincerely,
Rockstar Games

:idont
🤴

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #29177 on: November 19, 2021, 03:25:48 PM »

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #29178 on: November 19, 2021, 04:05:04 PM »
A Note from the Rockstar Games Team RE: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition
November 19, 2021

Hi everyone,

We want to provide an update regarding the unexpected technical issues that came to light as part of the launch of Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition.

Firstly, we want to sincerely apologize to everyone who has encountered issues playing these games.

The Grand Theft Auto series — and the games that make up this iconic trilogy — are as special to us as we know they are to fans around the world. The updated versions of these classic games did not launch in a state that meets our own standards of quality, or the standards our fans have come to expect.

We have ongoing plans to address the technical issues and to improve each game going forward. With each planned update, the games will reach the level of quality that they deserve to be.

A new Title Update is on the way in the coming days for all versions of Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition that will address a number of issues. We will update everyone as soon as it is live.

In the meantime, it pains us to mention that we are hearing reports of members of the development teams being harassed on social media. We would kindly ask our community to please maintain a respectful and civil discourse around this release as we work through these issues.

While one of the goals of the Definitive Editions was to allow players to enjoy these games on modern platforms for many years to come, we also understand that some of you would still like to have the previous classic versions available for purchase.

We will be adding the classic PC versions of Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas back to the Rockstar Store shortly as a bundle. Additionally, everyone who has purchased Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition for PC from the Rockstar Store through June 30, 2022, will receive these classic versions in their Rockstar Games Launcher library at no additional cost. We will update everyone as soon as these are back in the Rockstar Store.

Once again, we'd like to thank everyone for their patience and understanding while we work through these updates to ensure these games meet everyone's justifiably high standards.

Sincerely,
Rockstar Games

lol after a week of silence I was just expecting them to cut bait, never patch it and never mention that it exists again (while still being a available to buy) :trumps
(ice)

benjipwns

« Reply #29179 on: November 19, 2021, 04:56:33 PM »
Quote from: Rockstar Games
GAMERS RISE UP

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29180 on: November 19, 2021, 06:06:37 PM »
This video convinced me to get the Edifier speakers for my PC over the Razer Nommo.

Might also snag the soundbar for the TV as it seems like a massive upgrade from my 2011 Sony Blu-Ray 5.1 Home Cinema set.
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #29181 on: November 19, 2021, 07:24:30 PM »

:gaben
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #29182 on: November 19, 2021, 10:13:36 PM »
Did anyone pick up Vanguard yet?

Reviews are lukewarm it seems.
Vanguard is having free weekend MP, but game isn't on sale for their Black Friday sale. (Which has already started natch.)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29183 on: November 20, 2021, 07:31:03 AM »
Battlefield 2042 has a nice 69 ;) on Opencritic and ~20k reviews with a Mostly Negative rating on Steam.

HALO Infinite stands at 30k reviews on Steam, Mostly positive rating.

🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #29184 on: November 20, 2021, 01:20:11 PM »
Battlefield 2042 has a nice 69 ;) on Opencritic and ~20k reviews with a Mostly Negative rating on Steam.

HALO Infinite stands at 30k reviews on Steam, Mostly positive rating.

©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29185 on: November 20, 2021, 02:05:04 PM »
I don't recall a time since the Wii when the big publishers dropped so many turds in succession during the holiday season.
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #29186 on: November 20, 2021, 08:34:41 PM »
November 19, 2021

Hi everyone,

Sincerely,
Rockstar Games

How can there be such enormous "unexpected technical issues"?

A simple QA check would have been enough to pick this shit up. So either they knew about the issues and choose not to fix them or they didn't do any QA.

Fucking hacks. After the shitshow that RDR2's controls were, I can't believe anyone bothers with their games.

GAMERS RISE UP

Haha, "development team members being harassed online" is the default excuse these days. "Please feel sorry for us." Get fucked.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #29187 on: November 20, 2021, 08:41:15 PM »
I don't recall a time since the Wii when the big publishers dropped so many turds in succession during the holiday season.
Shit out a turd and fix it later. Bottom line above all else. Gotta have those Christmas sales to keep the bonuses high.
Spud

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #29188 on: November 20, 2021, 09:52:54 PM »
Being a generic FPS with multiplayer doesn't cut it anymore

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29189 on: November 21, 2021, 09:33:48 AM »
Got the $99 Edifier speakers and they indeed sound fantastic for PC speakers  :ohhh
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #29190 on: November 21, 2021, 07:12:51 PM »
I have Edifier R1280t speakers for my PC. Great for the cost.
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29191 on: November 21, 2021, 07:40:39 PM »
GAMERS RISE UP

I suspect you were being sarcastic, which rarely  conveys itself successfully in text, but it is never fucking OK to go after the development team on social media. Talk to tech-support, write to sales and marketing, or write the CEO or something. I guarantee you these devs did the best job that they were allowed to do in the amount of time they had, and going after them is a bitch-made move.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 01:53:41 AM by chronovore »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #29192 on: November 21, 2021, 08:27:44 PM »
 :hesright

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29193 on: November 21, 2021, 09:52:46 PM »
There's a Game Gear Micro CFW now

Dont have one to try it out, but it seems to work

fat

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #29194 on: November 22, 2021, 01:22:43 AM »
GAMERS RISE UP

I suspect you were being sarcastic, which really conveys itself successfully in text, but it is never fucking OK to go after the development team on social media. Talk to tech-support, write to sales and marketing, or write the CEO or something. I guarantee you these devs did the best job that they were allowed to do in the amount of time they had, and going after them is a bitch-made move.
I completely agree with you about the harassment part, but this recent taboo about the possibility of someone in game development being lazy or incompetent, when it's a possibility in every other aspect of life and profession, is a silly over correction.
But I know gamers are in large part men children that throw tantrums for every little thing, so I can understand where it's coming from.
Still, if an incompetent plumber can exist, so can a developer.

Though even in a scenario where a team doesn't have the expertise for the task they're given, the problem lies within whoever decided to hire on the cheap.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29195 on: November 22, 2021, 05:13:16 AM »
I have Edifier R1280t speakers for my PC. Great for the cost.
:respect

GAMERS RISE UP

I suspect you were being sarcastic, which really conveys itself successfully in text, but it is never fucking OK to go after the development team on social media. Talk to tech-support, write to sales and marketing, or write the CEO or something. I guarantee you these devs did the best job that they were allowed to do in the amount of time they had, and going after them is a bitch-made move.
I completely agree with you about the harassment part, but this recent taboo about the possibility of someone in game development being lazy or incompetent, when it's a possibility in every other aspect of life and profession, is a silly over correction.
But I know gamers are in large part men children that throw tantrums for every little thing, so I can understand where it's coming from.
Still, if an incompetent plumber can exist, so can a developer.

Though even in a scenario where a team doesn't have the expertise for the task they're given, the problem lies within whoever decided to hire on the cheap.
The main issue is that publishers like EA and Take2 are acting like 'uguuu we are a poor indie dev :uguu please be patient while we fix our passion project'
All while raking in billions of dollars with cosmetics and loot boxes and releasing fundamentally broken products.

It's like if Ford or Volkswagen would release a car with no windshield, no brakes, no doors and a leaking gas tank and then write an apology letter in their 'brand' to explain they hadn't noticed those faults.
Or if Villeneuve would not have dropped Dune: Part 1 but 1/8 of the movie shot with half the special effects missing and then a message plays about how much he appreciates the fans and that's he's totally excited for the roadmap to make the rest of the film.

With the remasters it's even more mind boggling, considering the original product already exists. With GTA you can tell the game is a pile of garbage moments after you boot it up and a remaster of a 20 year old game is hardly what one would describe as ambitious or difficult. With Battlefield games it's just a repetition of the same bugs over and over again. The same set of tools (Frostbite 3) they've been using since 2013 still don't work.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29196 on: November 22, 2021, 01:02:51 PM »
🤴

who is ted danson?

« Reply #29197 on: November 22, 2021, 01:07:15 PM »
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Kevtones

« Reply #29198 on: November 22, 2021, 05:21:04 PM »
I guess the makers of Paradise Killer are working on something new.

For anyone who hasn't played it, it's an open-world, vaporwave-backed murder mystery with some bonkers/fun worldbuilding. It's got a ton of interesting collectables and plays like this amazing, slow-paced Dreamcast platformer set to really fucking good music.

My GOTY 2020.
wrong

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #29199 on: November 22, 2021, 05:43:00 PM »
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29200 on: November 22, 2021, 06:42:33 PM »
Watched the Xbox thing it was fun to watch Peter Moore explain our mixed reality future and 'by the way, we just bought Peter Jackson's group'.
He was the most excited about the whole thing. As was Robbie Bach as he's just writing books and messing around and clearly never understood anything that they were doing in terms of technology anyway.

Bonnie Ross is on the way out I think, she didn't seem to care much.
Reggie was an OK host I guess, but was mostly saved by Peter Moore and Robbie Bach who kept it going.
Bach basically took over moderation at the end :lol

where the fuck is molyneux?
They were already sort of 'steamed hamburgers' awkward at times considering some of them didn't leave Microsoft on the best of terms.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 06:50:04 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #29201 on: November 22, 2021, 07:28:48 PM »
Is this laptop capable of playing modern games well?

i5 11400
8GB ram
512GB SSD
RTX3060 6GB
Spud

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29202 on: November 22, 2021, 07:50:43 PM »
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29203 on: November 22, 2021, 08:11:06 PM »
Is this laptop capable of playing modern games well?

i5 11400
8GB ram
512GB SSD
RTX3060 6GB
Yeah that should run almost everything you can throw at it at 1440p

You might want a bit more RAM to play with in the long run but those are solid specs.
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #29204 on: November 22, 2021, 08:13:46 PM »
Thanks Nintex
Spud

benjipwns

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29206 on: November 23, 2021, 06:57:41 AM »
Paprium is coming to PS4, PS5, Steam, and Switch, and a Game Gear version got announced.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/573261866/paprium-the-16-bit-beat-them-all-coming-to-the-next-gen
ど助平

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #29207 on: November 23, 2021, 04:03:39 PM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29208 on: November 23, 2021, 06:12:41 PM »
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29209 on: November 23, 2021, 06:27:48 PM »
https://museum.xbox.com/

pretty cool website.
Some never before seen like early Xbox interface tests
https://museum.xbox.com/en/content/original-xbox-screen-2
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 06:33:49 PM by Nintex »
🤴

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29210 on: November 23, 2021, 09:30:28 PM »
https://museum.xbox.com/

pretty cool website.
Some never before seen like early Xbox interface tests
https://museum.xbox.com/en/content/original-xbox-screen-2

That is some PEAK NINETIES.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #29212 on: November 24, 2021, 12:27:33 AM »
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #29213 on: November 25, 2021, 03:14:07 PM »
I see Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is finally on-sale, but it's still over $40 which is a lot.

If I want a modern X-men game is it good for that? Also do these games play like Musou/DW games but overhead?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29214 on: November 25, 2021, 03:43:16 PM »

:exxy this shit looks even worse than I thought it would
🤴

Rahxephon91

« Reply #29215 on: November 25, 2021, 07:16:38 PM »
It's really not that bad.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #29216 on: November 25, 2021, 10:14:08 PM »
So, I dived in on a gaming laptop. Picking it up this afternoon.

It's been a while since I played games on a PC. Aside from the obligatory Steam account (which I have), what do I need to get?

I have an 8bitdo Pro2 controller.
I have a decent keyboard.
Spud

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #29217 on: November 26, 2021, 01:47:30 AM »

It's been a while since I played games on a PC. Aside from the obligatory Steam account (which I have), what do I need to get?

Stalker Anomaly.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29218 on: November 26, 2021, 03:02:14 AM »

If you don't have an Xbox than GamePass Ultimate with Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite and Age of Empires IV is a good start.

Of course there is Cyberpunk 2077 and Witcher 3 if you haven't played them. EA also dropped the Mass Effect trilogy.
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29219 on: November 26, 2021, 05:17:19 AM »

A DS4 or a Xbox 360 controller.

But yeah Gamepass for PC is good shit.
What