Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3018466 times)

Potato

• Senior's Member
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #29220 on: November 26, 2021, 05:34:05 AM »
So, I dived in on a gaming laptop. Picking it up this afternoon.

It's been a while since I played games on a PC. Aside from the obligatory Steam account (which I have), what do I need to get?

I have an 8bitdo Pro2 controller.
I have a decent keyboard.

A DS4 or a Xbox 360 controller.

But yeah Gamepass for PC is good shit.
I have an old 360 controller. I might get it out and put some batteries in it. Can't be bothered with configuring the 8bitdo
Spud

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29221 on: November 26, 2021, 11:42:46 AM »

It's been a while since I played games on a PC. Aside from the obligatory Steam account (which I have), what do I need to get?

Besides whatever peripherals you might want, just expand storefronts beyond Steam and check out Battle.net, Ubi Connect, Epic, Origin, etc. Epic gives away free games all the time.

You shouldn't have to configure the 8bitdo controller. Just look up how to use it with x input and then it should work just like a 360 pad.

I got a new laptop a few weeks back (Maingear Vector Pro 17 w/ 1440P 165hz screen/32B ram/i7 11800H/RTX 3080) and I'm so impressed with how far along laptops have come recently- this thing is so thin and light, but packs a punch and runs everything at the highest settings really well even at 4K. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 11:49:41 AM by bork »
ど助平

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #29222 on: November 26, 2021, 03:39:36 PM »
Regarding controllers, in my experience the xbox ones (360, one, series) are the only ones that just work plug n play 99% of the times.
I use a DS4, and while on Steam and Uplay they work fine (i think Steam may need a bit of configuration), for example on Gamepass games, on the Xbox app, i still need to use DS4windows, same for other programs.
And it's on a game by game basis in some cases (like older Ubisoft games or GOG).

The downside of the xbox controllers is for games that use bumpers a lot, like Souls games, because those bumpers are shit.

I had completely remapped Sekiro to work with face buttons (much better in general, btw), but if i can't do it in Elden Ring, i can't imagine myself playing it with an xbox controller.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #29223 on: November 26, 2021, 05:32:12 PM »

Besides whatever peripherals you might want, just expand storefronts beyond Steam and check out Battle.net, Ubi Connect, Epic, Origin, etc. Epic gives away free games all the time.

You shouldn't have to configure the 8bitdo controller. Just look up how to use it with x input and then it should work just like a 360 pad.

I got a new laptop a few weeks back (Maingear Vector Pro 17 w/ 1440P 165hz screen/32B ram/i7 11800H/RTX 3080) and I'm so impressed with how far along laptops have come recently- this thing is so thin and light, but packs a punch and runs everything at the highest settings really well even at 4K. 
My problem is that the buttons are labelled differently so the on-screen prompt says B, but the controller label is A.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29224 on: November 26, 2021, 07:04:55 PM »
I'm starting to think Forza Horizon 5 might be the best arcade racer of all time  :ohhh
🤴

paprikastaude

« Reply #29225 on: November 27, 2021, 12:43:14 PM »
Is this even an arcade racer. The handling is cumbersome and races are lowkey. It feels like a sim that just happens to be in an open world with a dumb hipster story.

I'm currently cycling through some classics like Burnout 4, Outrun 2 and Hot Pursuit 2012, plus some okay-ish titles like Sonic Transformed and Wreckfest. Forza is about the least interesting "arcade" racer among those and the last one I'll ever want to revisit.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #29226 on: November 27, 2021, 03:32:29 PM »
Arcade and sim are on a spectrum (incidentally mirroring exactly that of autism  ;)) but this is sort of in the middle of a motorstorm apocalypse or Trackmania, and an iRacing of an Assetto Corsa.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29227 on: November 27, 2021, 07:04:19 PM »
I think the strength of Forza Horizon 5 is that the possibilites are nearly endless with customization and tuning.

You can turn a Ferrari in an off road car if you want to.
Yesterday I basically transformed a Mazda into a Ridge Racer car that starts drifting as soon as I tap the break at any speed.
In FH5 they've included nearly every racing type. It can be a sim or an arcade racer depending on your preferences.

What point is there to modern Need for Speed if this exists.

F-Zero GX was probably my favorite arcade racer of all time but F-Zero is gone. The runner up was PGR4.
FH2 came close to dethroning both but still had limitations, which each FH game they keep refining and improving.
FH5 is NFSU/Excite Truck/Motorstorm/Trackmania etc. etc. rolled into one beautiful game.
🤴

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29228 on: November 27, 2021, 07:29:05 PM »
Apparently the VA for Wesker got catfished and he leaked some concept art from RE4 Remake or something, while also admitting he worked on Separate Ways for RE4 Remake

https://twitter.com/xHercoldhands/status/1464718066785288195
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29229 on: November 27, 2021, 09:53:10 PM »
lol

fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29230 on: November 27, 2021, 11:09:12 PM »
That’s lame that they did that to the VA.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29231 on: November 27, 2021, 11:21:40 PM »
Quote from: Rockstar Games
In the meantime, it pains us to mention that we are hearing reports of members of the development teams being harassed on social media. We would kindly ask our community to please maintain a respectful and civil discourse around this release as we work through these issues.
GAMERS RISE UP

I suspect you were being sarcastic, which really conveys itself successfully in text, but it is never fucking OK to go after the development team on social media. Talk to tech-support, write to sales and marketing, or write the CEO or something. I guarantee you these devs did the best job that they were allowed to do in the amount of time they had, and going after them is a bitch-made move.
I completely agree with you about the harassment part, but this recent taboo about the possibility of someone in game development being lazy or incompetent, when it's a possibility in every other aspect of life and profession, is a silly over correction.
But I know gamers are in large part men children that throw tantrums for every little thing, so I can understand where it's coming from.
Still, if an incompetent plumber can exist, so can a developer.

Though even in a scenario where a team doesn't have the expertise for the task they're given, the problem lies within whoever decided to hire on the cheap.

Except in other fields of work, you’re getting an hourly wage or overtime pay, and in game development you’re getting people who work a shit ton of overtime with no compensation because they’re passionate about the game they’re making. And possibly in an unhealthy codependent relationship with their work.

I have met a few incompetent devs, and even fewer lazy devs in 27 years in the industry. They don’t last long. It’s not the same as other industries, in general.

That said, the largest company I’ve been at so far had more instances of laziness and incompetence, so if Rockstar scaled similarly, you may be right.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #29232 on: November 27, 2021, 11:42:11 PM »
Some fields, sure.
If you're an immigrant doing construction work it's not quite as simple as getting an hourly rate and overtime, especially if they can replace you in an afternoon.
I mean there are several sectors where exploitation of "market realities" ( :doge) happen.
Even in that one you'll see people who are borderline slaves, and some who can be some gross motherfuckers.

But that is not to deny the problem of the gaming industry, especially how much it runs on the passion of fresh-out-of-school suckers.
It's that to me, making it a taboo as it is, really highlights the wrong issue.

Lazyness is a completely normal human trait, especially if you're working on massive, impersonal projects, you shouldn't be expected to be fueled by "burning passion" in the first place.
A bare minimum of professionalism, sure, but not much beyond that.
Wearing on your sleeve how much of a passionate worker you are, to me is counter-productive to what the real issue is.

Unless you're talking about your own project/indie game.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 11:46:14 PM by Don Rumata »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29233 on: November 28, 2021, 08:17:12 PM »
From what I understand most of these studios like DICE pay well enough but are completely tapped out creatively.

Truth is, 10 - 20 key staff members put the core gameplay loop together for nearly every AAA title. More often 10 than 20.
The rest essentially does the production work (assets, art, levels you name it) at their direction.
After their creative phase at best they move up into 'management' roles. Which means they're less involved with the creative side.
This essentially means that for each new game, a new team is formed, likely to make the same mistakes as the previous team as very little is recorded or documented and technology and trends move so fast that what little is recorded is of no use.

As studios and budgets become bigger it becomes harder for talented developers to steer the ship into the right direction.
Creative leads often leave not because of disagreements with management but simply because the team cannot execute their vision due to a lack of experience or unrealistic expectations.

The gaming industry is paying better and better as they believe that is the best way to keep people aboard.
Now that everyone can work from home on nearly every project they want it's really hard for EA/Ubisoft and others to keep their talent.
For example, everyone knows working on Fortnite sucks but it pays really well with a ton of added benefits.

There's overall a big shortage of experienced developers. Which means they're just being headhunted all the time.
Most underpaid developers would not have their jobs if more experienced developers were available.
EA didn't decide to save a few quid on their BF2042 UI by having only one UI guy, they just didn't have a better candidate for the role.

Some studios that are notoriously paying below standard salaries (Retro Studios) haven't been able to fill open positions for quite some time because there are plenty of good paying game industry jobs out there.
Although truth to be told, for some roles, especially software engineering, companies outside the gaming industry pay even better.
🤴

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29234 on: November 28, 2021, 11:24:20 PM »
It's a troubling ecosystem for sure. I am reminded again of the ant colony which lives in a soviet bunker; they don't have access to resources that are natural for ants to use, but they have a steady stream of new "recruits" falling into the bunker from the natural world, above.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6124108/cannibal-ants-nuclear-bunker-poland/
These fallen worker ants became a second “colony” living on the bunker floor, where they survived for years without light or a source of food — except for the steady stream of workers falling down the hole each day.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29235 on: November 30, 2021, 05:37:42 PM »

Xbois twisting the knife in the soystation 5

:whew
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #29236 on: November 30, 2021, 09:05:37 PM »
Prepping for the Game Awards trailer?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29237 on: December 01, 2021, 08:53:16 AM »
Clockwork Aquario (the previously-unreleased Westone arcade platformer) is out in Europe and Japan- the U.S. release isn't for another two weeks for whatever reason.  The game is very 'early 90s arcade' and seems to be nothing really amazing so far, but very solid.

ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #29238 on: December 01, 2021, 10:25:44 AM »

Xbois twisting the knife in the soystation 5

:whew
Guy across from Todd; "Skyrim was out there with fantasy, Starfield will be more grounded"  .... :steel  :wut

Other than that, I'm gonna need a bigger PC for this.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #29239 on: December 01, 2021, 12:16:08 PM »
Are they going to show the game at some point or keep going with the wankfest?

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #29240 on: December 01, 2021, 12:46:53 PM »
spoiler alert: no, cos it looks just like fallout 4 but space themed
(ice)

Tuckers Law

« Reply #29241 on: December 01, 2021, 01:53:51 PM »
I predict the game will be so buggy on release that people’s computers will actually rock back and forth in agony as they attempt to handle the many execution errors happening simultaneously.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29242 on: December 01, 2021, 07:39:46 PM »
Are they going to show the game at some point or keep going with the wankfest?

They're making the bold move of not unveiling the game until after it's released.
dog

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #29243 on: December 01, 2021, 08:20:02 PM »
Oh shit, Journey to the Savage Planet is one of the free Amazon Prime games this month. I wanted to check this out but never really directly pay for it in any sale so far.

Big Name Launchers:
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit Remastered (Origin)
Football Manager 2021 (EGS)
Frostpunk: Full Game (GOG)
Journey to the Savage Planet (GOG)

The Amazon Launcher Games:
Morkredd
Spellcaster University
Youtubers Life
Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse
Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 1-5

benjipwns

« Reply #29244 on: December 02, 2021, 02:30:02 AM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #29245 on: December 02, 2021, 09:14:28 AM »
Mark Wahlberg bout to get sued.
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29246 on: December 02, 2021, 11:03:50 AM »
Mark Wahlberg bout to get sued.

Thought that was Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock?

^_^

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #29247 on: December 02, 2021, 11:49:28 AM »
https://twitter.com/Ash_735/status/1465841888922058754

I can kinda see it... :thinking

"Wow, It Takes Two, this must be good"
*10 minutes into the game*
"Wait a minute, this game isn't about Strauss Zelnick at all!"

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29248 on: December 02, 2021, 01:48:13 PM »
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1466452688049250306
That was fast

https://twitter.com/Battlefield/status/1466451845086433283

"We intend to build a Battlefield universe, one with multiple projects that are interconnected with the player at the center," says Vince Zampella, to increase the franchise's prominence.
We're going to throw shit at the wall to see if it sticks. Anyway, this also puts a fork in any Titanfall 3 plans as EA is going ALL IN on Battlefield which they've just rebooted after another reboot following the reboot.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 02:23:44 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #29249 on: December 02, 2021, 04:13:06 PM »
BF1 killed Titanfall, now EA has to beg Vince Zampella to come save Battlefield. Life comes at you fast. :jawalrus
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #29255 on: December 03, 2021, 04:09:33 PM »
that bitch looks old as fuck, grandma at the gamer award show  :yuck

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #29256 on: December 03, 2021, 04:17:28 PM »
Grannies  :drool
Margs

Kevtones

« Reply #29257 on: December 03, 2021, 04:21:03 PM »
I'm conflicted about Elex 2 because I'm not sure it's possible that it exists. It makes me believe I've stumbled back into the Berenstein timeline.

wrong

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #29258 on: December 04, 2021, 03:22:18 AM »
that bitch looks old as fuck, grandma at the gamer award show  :yuck
They look about the same age in that pic.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #29259 on: December 04, 2021, 04:03:21 AM »
I'm conflicted about Elex 2 because I'm not sure it's possible that it exists. It makes me believe I've stumbled back into the Berenstein timeline.

I'm honestly just happy Piranha Bytes are still around. Gothic's the classic euro-jank series. We need more of these kinda devs.

Spiders actually managing a hit with Greedfall. I love it.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #29260 on: December 05, 2021, 08:59:36 PM »
https://www.siliconera.com/sony-to-merge-playstation-plus-and-now-into-a-tiered-subscription-service/

Looks interesting:
Basic version of Plus is as-is
Next tier up has PS Now PS4/PS5 titles
Next tier up has classic games from PS1/PS2 and some streaming stuff

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29261 on: December 06, 2021, 02:54:32 AM »
Eh PS Now is kinda garbo tho
What

archnemesis

« Reply #29262 on: December 06, 2021, 09:24:16 AM »
I'm already paying for both Plus and Now. Combining them to a single service makes sense.

I agree that Now is a poor service.

paprikastaude

« Reply #29263 on: December 06, 2021, 05:15:07 PM »
:snore

Just unlock an official PS1/2 emulator for discs. Hell, I'd even pay for it.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #29264 on: December 06, 2021, 10:39:31 PM »
any old thing can emu PSX/2 well now. it's often not perfect but neither will sony's emulation. piracy is the true steward of our digital heritage
◕‿◕

benjipwns

« Reply #29265 on: December 07, 2021, 12:12:48 AM »
If you had told me like a decade or more ago that Sony would just seemingly give up on backwards compatibility while Microsoft would be trying to get original Xbox games playable and in higher resolutions in 2021 (while teasing about PC emulators even), I would have called you crazy.

paprikastaude

« Reply #29266 on: December 07, 2021, 01:53:01 AM »
Ultimately the MS way sucks anyway, because they only got a fraction of their libraries. It's nice that some classics get 4k or whatever, but I'd rather just play the discs normally vs. having only a few percent of titles remastered.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #29267 on: December 07, 2021, 06:59:58 AM »
Yeah, having some games is of course worse than having none at all.

paprikastaude

« Reply #29268 on: December 07, 2021, 08:07:40 AM »
These consoles have disc drives, they could play (almost) everything. Prior generations already had decent emulators that read them. If you insist on giving every game a special treatment or not enabling them at all, you end up with FPS-boosted Spongebob shovelware but still no way of playing Silent Hill 2 or Burnout 3.  :social

It's nice that there is Ninja Gaiden Black in higher resolution or Nier Gestalt in 60 FPS. But if the price for that is having only like 12% of the games instead of 99%, then it was a subpar choice.

e: Also wasn't even the original Xbox HD-ready? These games would still look fine even without being boosted.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 08:27:44 AM by Spieler1 »

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #29269 on: December 07, 2021, 01:38:20 PM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #29270 on: December 07, 2021, 08:13:20 PM »

paprikastaude

« Reply #29271 on: December 07, 2021, 08:26:09 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29272 on: December 07, 2021, 09:18:18 PM »

Just terrible.

Agreed- too much of this was just spent showing old footage.  At least there's two more parts to it.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #29274 on: December 08, 2021, 01:15:22 AM »
e: Also wasn't even the original Xbox HD-ready? These games would still look fine even without being boosted.
I don't disagree with your criticism of Microsoft's priorities and agree they should get games working and put em up before worrying about 4K and framerates but the original Xbox was "HD" ready. It only supported 720p, and it's only really a handful of games. Most of the library tops out at 480p. A lot of them don't support 16:9 either.

benjipwns

« Reply #29275 on: December 08, 2021, 06:59:08 AM »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #29277 on: December 08, 2021, 08:28:10 AM »
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1468261936336969731
Finally.
Definitely what was missing.
At Ubisoft there's some real PR experts at work.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #29278 on: December 08, 2021, 08:31:26 AM »
Nice Ratio, no wonder they unlisted it.  ;)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29279 on: December 08, 2021, 09:40:37 AM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-08/how-microsoft-s-halo-infinite-went-from-disaster-to-triumph?srnd=premium
The engine used to build Halo was one that 343 had based largely on old code from Bungie. Parts of the engine, a set of tools called Faber, became infamous at the studio for being buggy and difficult to use. Within engineering, there’s a concept known as “tech debt,” which refers to problems one puts up with because the previous programmers of a system chose quick, easy solutions over more sustainable ones. Faber’s code, some of which dated to the early 2000s, had so much debt that some 343 engineers mockingly referred to its “tech bankruptcy.”
The staffing at 343 was also unstable, partially because of its heavy reliance on contract workers, who made up almost half the staff by some estimates. Microsoft restricts contractors from staying in their jobs for more than 18 months, which meant steady attrition at 343.
Halo Infinite’s creative direction was also in flux until unusually late in its development. Several developers described 343 as a company split into fiefdoms, with every team jockeying for resources and making conflicting decisions. One developer describes the process as “four to five games being developed simultaneously.”
By the summer of 2019, Halo Infinite was in crisis mode. The studio decided to cut almost two-thirds of the entire planned game, leaving managers to instruct some designers to come to the office and do nothing while the studio figured out the next move.
🤴