Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3018423 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #30720 on: June 27, 2022, 10:47:56 AM »
Looking at how long they spend on these games now, it's pretty crazy that The Wind Waker only had 1.5 years of actual development time.
I'm pretty sure there's some kind of relationship between the fact they gave Wind Waker a hard stop date that saw so much cut content and since then the "hard" dates have just been the console launches.

paprikastaude

« Reply #30721 on: June 27, 2022, 12:06:41 PM »
It's more surprising that an actual fullfledge and groundbreaking game like Metroid Prime was developed just as quickly.

The power of a good crunch :biden

Modern wimptendo barely capable of developing one big 3D adventure game in less than 5 years :nope
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 12:12:46 PM by paprikastaude »

Tasty

« Reply #30722 on: June 27, 2022, 03:41:47 PM »
Looking at how long they spend on these games now, it's pretty crazy that The Wind Waker only had 1.5 years of actual development time.
I'm pretty sure there's some kind of relationship between the fact they gave Wind Waker a hard stop date that saw so much cut content and since then the "hard" dates have just been the console launches.

I think Nintendo learned a lot during the GameCube era. Even if the Wii U shows they're not above making completely new idiotic decisions, a lot of the GC lessons seem to have stuck.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30723 on: June 27, 2022, 06:20:47 PM »
The GameCube era was weird because they had this 'seasonal' content idea planned out to bolster their line-up and keep development time manageable as well as take into account the limited space of GameCube disks.
Nintendo had also done research on how many people finished their biggest N64 titles and they discovered that only a small percentage of players had completed games like Mario 64 or Zelda OOT.

Most games were supposed to have direct sequels using mostly the same assets. That's why some GameCube games like Pikmin were very short. It was meant to get a sequel within a year.

They had sequels planned for the early line-up (Wind Waker 2, Pikmin 2, Metroid Prime '1.5', Rogue Leader II etc.).
But most of those became bigger projects or were scrapped in favor of 'real' sequels after their shorter games (Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin etc.) weren't received well by the public.
🤴

Tuckers Law

« Reply #30724 on: June 27, 2022, 06:30:54 PM »
We were all goddamn idiots unable to really appreciate short but sweet games then.  It also didn’t help that game prices were all the same $50 at the time.  Despite the supremely distinguished mentally-challenged monetization schemes devs and pubs go for these days (especially on top of games already coming out at $70 just for the base) I’m glad that the proliferation of pc games from all types of devs via Steam and elsewhere has brought a real variety into games pricing below the upper limit.  It’s great that bite-sized experiences like Vampire Survivors and such, or rough around the edges but with compelling gameplay and future stuff like Valheim, can coexist just fine in a world of big full priced Fuck You-sized games like Elden Ring and Assassin’s Creeds.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30725 on: June 27, 2022, 06:56:41 PM »
🤴

Tuckers Law

« Reply #30726 on: June 27, 2022, 07:13:05 PM »
Nintendo :stahp :stahp :stahp

Renegade Kid is a perfect team for that too!

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #30727 on: June 27, 2022, 09:45:40 PM »
If you can't tell me the story in your narrative-driven game in less than 3 hours, then you need to hire an editor.

That's not to say that a game should only give me 3 hours of content, just that I should be able to experience "a" narrative in those 3 hours.

A way that more content can be delivered is allowing me to approach that narrative from a different perspective to get a different read on the core narrative. Different characters, different paths, different events could all be used to vary the core narrative and give me a different experience on replay.
Spud

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #30728 on: June 28, 2022, 05:00:50 AM »
They just need to learn that they need to show and don't tell. It's like when Last of Us 2 put important character development in some throwaway side fluff.

"It was in an audio log or a diary."

If it's part of your main narrative, show it. Anything that goes into the side fluff should add to the story/lore but not take away from the main narrative. People in this medium need to learn how to work to the strengths of the medium.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #30729 on: June 28, 2022, 09:11:07 AM »
What

Svejk

« Reply #30730 on: June 28, 2022, 12:15:02 PM »

Even though I haven't played through the Monkey Islands, can't say this art direction is that appealing... Looks like a straight indie game.  :doge I'm sure the writing is what it's all about though.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #30731 on: June 28, 2022, 12:35:55 PM »
I mean I dont know what sort of team they are working with, im just glad we are getting new Monkey Island stuff

Its gonna be hard to top this artstyle wise

What

Bebpo

« Reply #30732 on: June 28, 2022, 01:08:09 PM »

Even though I haven't played through the Monkey Islands, can't say this art direction is that appealing... Looks like a straight indie game.  :doge I'm sure the writing is what it's all about though.

I think the art style looks fine outside Guybrush's enormously vertical head.

Svejk

« Reply #30733 on: June 28, 2022, 01:28:45 PM »
Yeah, that whole paper cut out/Picaso style art, like Guacamelee, just rubs me the wrong way.  I can't help it.  :trumps

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #30734 on: June 28, 2022, 04:00:34 PM »
I understand, Guacamelee is butt ugly
What

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #30735 on: June 28, 2022, 05:48:21 PM »

Not really a fan of the artstyle but overall are the visuals fairly secondary.

What's nice to see is that there seems to be a hint towards Morgan LeFay who only appeared in the telltale game

https://twitter.com/diavolta_/status/1541802310820675587

So while this is a direct sequel to monkey island 2 they might still carry over some elements from the later sequels

Bebpo

« Reply #30736 on: June 28, 2022, 06:05:07 PM »
I understand, Guacamelee is butt ugly

I am not gonna take this guacamelee slander  :maf

Their art style with that and Severed is so good.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #30737 on: June 28, 2022, 09:57:06 PM »
I mean I dont know what sort of team they are working with, im just glad we are getting new Monkey Island stuff

That's what I thought about Escape from Monkey Island and Tales of Monkey Island too. :notlikethis
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #30738 on: June 29, 2022, 04:00:37 AM »
Watched a clip of some of the new Jane Thor dialogue exchanges in Avengers game.

Game sucks but really has some of the best VA out there. Which is also why the story stuff was good even though the gameplay was bad. Just a shame they can't get the gameplay side fun. I hope the voice director gets to work on better projects under Embracer.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30739 on: June 29, 2022, 07:36:03 AM »

Its gonna be hard to top this artstyle wise

This doesn't look that great either (the character designs).  The first two games' art was far and away the best and it just got worse and worse with each new game.  I'm still interested in this new Monkey Island, however, because Ron Gilbert is back working on it. 
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #30740 on: June 29, 2022, 08:42:47 AM »

That's what I thought about Escape from Monkey Island and Tales of Monkey Island too. :notlikethis

TBH I never really played those games. I played an Escape demo back when PC demo's still came on discs I think. I didnt think much of it.

Compared to Curse of Monkey Island, I feel all of the other ones are a step below it. But then again I grew up not having played MI1 or 2, but I did play Full Throttle, Grim Fandango and Curse of Monkey Island. Its hard to go back to the oldschool graphics at that point.
What

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #30741 on: June 29, 2022, 11:50:10 AM »

This has the worst character models I've seen in a while :girlaff

The main character looks like hanime Bobby Eaton :cornette
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30742 on: June 29, 2022, 12:55:23 PM »
It looks pretty good actually. Pretty crazy how many games Square Enix is shipping this year compared to other publishers.

Who would've thought that in the year of our lord 2022 Capcom and Square Enix would be the publishers who 'most have their shit together'.
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #30743 on: June 29, 2022, 02:47:45 PM »
Not too sure about SE, as I think Forwoken is going to flop hard, but FFXVI could be something really special... Capcom for sure has been on fire for a good several years now and still has so much potential to keep getting better imo. 

Bebpo

« Reply #30744 on: June 29, 2022, 02:52:12 PM »
Star Ocean games are the ugliest Japanese games there are.

The ironic thing is that VP2 and Radiata Stories looked fine. So it's a purposefully trash aesthetic.

Polident Hive

« Reply #30745 on: June 29, 2022, 07:25:47 PM »
This Klonoa remaster demo for Switch has a pixel filter option and I’ve never seen something like it before. Makes the games resemble Donkey Kong Country. That silicon graphics-to-sprite look. It works enough to be playable. But I don’t see why. These are PS2 and Wii games. Anyway, like the Kirby series, Klonoa games are fun and relaxing.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #30746 on: June 30, 2022, 09:15:48 AM »
People have been so mean about the new monkey island that Ron Gilbert decided to stop posting on his blog  :(

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/ron-gilbert-will-no-longer-post-about-monkey-island-due-to-personal-attacks/

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #30747 on: June 30, 2022, 11:55:08 AM »

This has the worst character models I've seen in a while :girlaff

The main character looks like hanime Bobby Eaton :cornette

The environments and combat look fantastic. I love the SO series (except for 5) so I'm super hyped for this, looks like a bit of a return to form.
^_^

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #30748 on: June 30, 2022, 01:47:53 PM »

Nice way of making a trailer for a game that's still in the early stages

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #30750 on: July 01, 2022, 10:13:07 PM »
Wait... Sega is a shitty publisher?!??

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #30751 on: July 02, 2022, 03:30:12 PM »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #30752 on: July 02, 2022, 10:55:46 PM »
It's not exactly forgotten, it got a complete remaster/port on Xbox One
fat

benjipwns

« Reply #30753 on: July 03, 2022, 03:03:48 PM »

paprikastaude

« Reply #30754 on: July 03, 2022, 05:39:48 PM »
That video is an advert for inofficial Phantom Dust merch and his Phantom Dust discrod server  :doge :doge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #30756 on: July 03, 2022, 10:38:35 PM »
Zombie Army 4 is a lot of fun

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #30757 on: July 03, 2022, 10:43:19 PM »

HaughtyFrank

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #30759 on: July 04, 2022, 04:45:18 PM »
What

benjipwns

« Reply #30760 on: July 04, 2022, 09:59:33 PM »
Ubi says fuck yo DLC:
Ubisoft has announced that, effective September 1, it will be decommissioning the online features(opens in new tab) of a selection of older games. I've compiled a list of the PC games affected, their release dates, and what features will be removed below:

Anno 2070 (2011): multiplayer, linking accounts, online features
Assassin's Creed 2 (2009): multiplayer, linking accounts, online features
Assassin's Creed 3 (2012): multiplayer, linking accounts, online features, access to DLC
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (2010): multiplayer, linking accounts, online features, access to DLC
Assassin's Creed Liberation HD (2014): multiplayer, linking accounts, online features, access DLC
Driver San Francisco (2011): multiplayer, linking accounts, online features, access to DLC
Far Cry 3 (2012): multiplayer, linking accounts, online features, access to DLC
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (2010): co-op multiplayer, linking accounts, online features, access to DLC
Silent Hunter 5 (2010): multiplayer, linking accounts, online features, access to DLC
Space Junkies (2019): "As a multiplayer only title, you will be unable to play the game going forward."
Splinter Cell: Blacklist (2013): multiplayer, linking accounts, online features

Ubisoft states that "Closing the online services for some older games allows us to focus our resources on delivering great experiences for players who are playing newer or more popular titles." I'm certainly sympathetic to that argument—I doubt there's a ton of gamers out there still playing Splinter Cell: Blacklist's online multiplayer. Additionally, the remastered versions of listed games will be retaining online features.

However, cutting off DLC and, in one case, an entire game is troubling. Space Junkies, the multiplayer VR shooter, cost $40 at release and remains available for sale on Steam, with no notice that it will be rendered unplayable in two months.

If NFTs haven't been thoroughly debunked enough already, seeing Ubisoft completely end these services makes the company's Quartz NFT initiative even more absurd. What happens to that blockchain-backed investment once the game it's attached to shuts down, and the crypto booster pipe dream of a single NFT being used across multiple games never materialized?

This mass decommissioning also demonstrates the preservation issues inherent to walled garden online services. You can still enjoy online games significantly older than the ones listed thanks to their support for private servers. It's worth remembering that every live service game will one day stop getting official support and eventually shut down. Overwatch, Destiny, Ubisoft's own Rainbow Six Siege, there will come a point maybe years, maybe decades down the line when their servers are switched off and you won't be able to come back to them.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #30761 on: July 06, 2022, 11:58:05 AM »
:drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge
Forspoken delayed until 2023

https://www.eurogamer.net/forspoken-delayed-until-2023

I don't think anyone could have seen this coming :titus
(ice)

Svejk

« Reply #30762 on: July 06, 2022, 01:26:37 PM »
:drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge
Forspoken delayed until 2023

https://www.eurogamer.net/forspoken-delayed-until-2023

I don't think anyone could have seen this coming :titus
:neogaf :girlaff :crowdlaff

Surely they'll release it right around BOTW2... Just like Horizon 2 did before Elden Rang.

Guess they needed more time to lock a 30fps on current gen hardware and add in more muthafuckin' dragons.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #30763 on: July 06, 2022, 01:33:13 PM »
I think the writing was on the wall when it (one of the 6 non-sports AAA titles slated for the rest of the year) didn't get a trailer at fake E3 :girlaff
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30764 on: July 07, 2022, 01:14:48 PM »
2022 is absolutely stacked with Square Enix releases so I'm not surprised they moved it to 2023.

Voice of Cards: The Forsaken Maiden
Final Fantasy VI Pixel Remaster
Babylon's Fall
Triangle Strategy
Chocobo GP
Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin
The Centennial Case: A Shijima Story
Live A Live
The Diofield Chronicle
Nier Automata: The End of YorHa Edition
Valkyrie Elysium
Star Ocean: The Divine Force
Harvestella
Dragon Quest Treasures
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion

New Robocop game just dropped
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 01:35:25 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #30765 on: July 07, 2022, 03:24:42 PM »

This looks shit, did the world really need Sea of Thieves, but without the whimsy?

The sea combat in AC games is fine as side content, I'm not sure you need a full game of it though.
(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #30766 on: July 07, 2022, 03:34:37 PM »
That Robocop game looks cool, but it makes me wish for a Judge Dredd game
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30767 on: July 07, 2022, 06:22:32 PM »

This looks shit, did the world really need Sea of Thieves, but without the whimsy?

The sea combat in AC games is fine as side content, I'm not sure you need a full game of it though.
This looks very different from when they first showed it. It certainly took more of a Sea of Thieves direction.
Can't believe this has been in development for like 6 years if not longer.  :doge
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #30768 on: July 07, 2022, 06:37:18 PM »
Pretty curious to see how bad it actually is and the memes that come from it.

I can't think of any game in decades that was apparently internally panned but the studio just gave up and released it anyways. Like I'm sure it happens a decent amount of the time and that's why some bad games are bad, but this being an open secret that even Ubisoft knows the game is bad and is still releasing it...yeah don't think this is gonna sell much.

Bebpo

« Reply #30769 on: July 07, 2022, 06:40:02 PM »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #30770 on: July 08, 2022, 02:28:27 PM »
fat

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #30771 on: July 08, 2022, 02:54:35 PM »
Good time to sell if you still have a disc version. Digital copy is free on the xbox store.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #30772 on: July 08, 2022, 03:01:03 PM »
Good time to go hunt down copies since most places probably sell it for $10 lol
fat

Polident Hive

« Reply #30773 on: July 08, 2022, 03:37:00 PM »
Can one of these YouTube people make a viral video about Army of Two or some other game I wouldn’t mind selling.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #30774 on: July 09, 2022, 07:37:18 AM »

:pika
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #30776 on: July 09, 2022, 11:19:58 AM »

The Kane and Lynch 2 soundtrack is a fucking masterpiece. They made some fake chinese generic pop for that game.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #30777 on: July 09, 2022, 06:01:24 PM »
Spud

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #30778 on: July 09, 2022, 06:06:55 PM »
yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_5-only_games

I think returnal, ratchet, and bloodborne all have (rumoured) pc ports in the works too
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Svejk

« Reply #30779 on: July 09, 2022, 06:10:15 PM »