Author Topic: February NPD  (Read 19881 times)

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
Re: February NPD
« Reply #180 on: March 12, 2010, 06:50:45 PM »
I'M NOT TRYING TO PICK A FIGHT

jesus christ
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #181 on: March 12, 2010, 06:51:33 PM »
I give up, whatever Corny thinks is right and whatever I think is wrong, okay glad that's sorted
乱学者

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
« Reply #182 on: March 12, 2010, 06:53:50 PM »
I dunno maybe it has something to do with the constant roid rage, ad hominem attacks, expressive profanity and invitations to ride one's dick

My sociology teacher told me these are signs of being upset

Yeah, this is just you making innocent conversation? ::)

dap

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #183 on: March 12, 2010, 06:58:33 PM »
Yes! I'm saying I think you're upset because you act like an person who is upset.

This is not me muckraking or trying to rile you up, this is the closest thing to objective fact I can come up with to describe your posting behavior! Which is "a person who is upset all the fucking time." Even if you're NOT upset, you act like you're upset and here on the other side of the computer screen, nobody can tell the difference.

anyway, I'm done here
乱学者

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #184 on: March 12, 2010, 07:03:32 PM »
You sure you're done? Because you said you gave up a few posts ago, but now you're back to :wag at me.

It's okay if you still want to go 'round with me, I have time to kill until my ride gets here.
dap

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #185 on: March 12, 2010, 07:08:34 PM »
It's just that you're boring and rather full of yourself, just like abrader but with an added white-guy-living-in-Japan sense of entitlement that I just can't be arsed with, ya know? It's bad enough that I've got Synclavier Patel nailing himself to the cross without you also having to step in as well.
dap

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #186 on: March 12, 2010, 07:11:46 PM »
Play that shit, dcharlie :violin
dap

Oblivion

« Reply #187 on: March 12, 2010, 07:16:29 PM »
Wait, this generation sucks now?

I thought games always get progressively better?

Longing for the past due to a perceived mindset of superiority?

Where oh where have I seen this phenomenon before? :smug

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #188 on: March 12, 2010, 07:18:03 PM »
Wow, dcharlie quoting Queen is a little too on the nose for my liking.
dap

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #189 on: March 12, 2010, 07:18:54 PM »
npd is tearing this site apart

Himu

« Reply #190 on: March 12, 2010, 07:19:45 PM »
No, Corny is.
IYKYK

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #191 on: March 12, 2010, 07:20:46 PM »
:lol

Cry me a river, Himuro
dap

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #192 on: March 12, 2010, 07:24:18 PM »
Okay, ride is here! Hopefully evilbore will mend itself after all the horrible Corny action on display this afternoon.
dap

Himu

« Reply #193 on: March 12, 2010, 07:33:45 PM »
:lol

Cry me a river, Himuro

I love you boo  :-*
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #194 on: March 12, 2010, 08:24:32 PM »
When was the last time Cornelius made a meaningful post? He shows up once a month to roll his eyes at something he doesn't like and then, after a few hours of back and forth, he vanishes again for another month.
dog

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #195 on: March 12, 2010, 11:52:58 PM »
The generation is fine if you don't take games too seriously.  I guess its because I don't buy that many games anymore, but I'm not encountering half the stuff people bitch about. And pc gaming is still terrible, I'll have a smug sense of satisfaction when it fades into the darkest dregs of obscurity.
sad

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #196 on: March 12, 2010, 11:54:57 PM »
And pc gaming is still terrible, I'll have a smug sense of satisfaction when it fades into the darkest dregs of obscurity.

PC gaming has risen back to its former glory thanks to Eastern Europe. :smug
dog

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #197 on: March 12, 2010, 11:57:18 PM »
 :-\ Bloc Gaming  :-\
 :-\ RTS  :-\
 :-\ MMOs  :-\

:piss pc games :piss2
sad

archie4208

« Reply #198 on: March 13, 2010, 12:08:23 AM »
:bow superior versions of multiplatform games :bow2
:bow Steam sales :bow2
:bow user created content :bow2

:piss console peasants :piss2

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #199 on: March 13, 2010, 12:11:44 AM »
The generation is fine if you don't take games too seriously.  I guess its because I don't buy that many games anymore, but I'm not encountering half the stuff people bitch about. And pc gaming is still terrible, I'll have a smug sense of satisfaction when it fades into the darkest dregs of obscurity.

Oh yes you are, Capt. Waggle.  Aren't you constantly saying Wii Music is a game?
yar

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #200 on: March 13, 2010, 12:13:46 AM »
This generation is shit.  There's no real evolution to be seen -- just glorified yearly or every other year map packs with a $60 price tag.  Shoddy hardware that aspires to hit Chinese knock off status.  A race to dumb games down for 40 year soccer moms and 70 year old grandmas.  That or making another generic FPS so some tiny dicked frat boy can frag with other unfortunately hung members of society before date raping some sorostitute at a mixer.  A handheld that has remained stagnant for a couple of years but people proclaim it to be the greatest thing ever because who the fuck knows why.

It isn't unplayable but it falls so short of the last generation that it is unbelievable.  There are some good games to play but I can't wait until the next round of consoles hit.  Can't do a whole hell of a lot worse than they did this time around.
🍆🍆

Himu

« Reply #201 on: March 13, 2010, 12:15:16 AM »
Are you kidding? texp, it'll only get worse.
IYKYK

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #202 on: March 13, 2010, 12:21:56 AM »
Bitter nerds, the lot of you.  Maybe if you weren't hunched over your desktops squinting into the bulb you could see the good in things.

TRA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA
sad

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #203 on: March 13, 2010, 12:22:59 AM »

Oh yes you are, Capt. Waggle.  Aren't you constantly saying Wii Music is a game?

Waggle is the best thing ever!  I can never go back to a regular pad ever again!

!
sad

cool breeze

« Reply #204 on: March 13, 2010, 12:42:31 AM »
That Nintendo dude was lame. And I even consider myself something of a Wii defender to a degree. One of my pet peeves about GAF is how the shitty 10% of the community dictates over half the conversation flow in any given thread or on the forum as a whole. The best thing about bore over GAF is the lesser amount of moderation. But at times you have someone like nintendosbooger who comes in and wants to be a primma donna and draw all sorts of attention to himself just to do it. That's lame.

I won't comment on Wollan since I wasn't here at the time.

(I just noticed this is a post from page 3 but I'm replying anyway)

I don't remember Wollan being bad.  There was one hardcore Sony guy here, dbf or something on gaf, justin here, and that was pretty hilarious.  I think 60% of the posters just had him on ignore and he left when he ban let up  :lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #205 on: March 13, 2010, 12:57:40 AM »
Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect 2, and Two Worlds are the only games that have saved this generation from going on the trash heap of history.
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
NEVER FORGET
« Reply #206 on: March 13, 2010, 01:01:45 AM »
Bitter nerds, the lot of you.  Maybe if you weren't hunched over your desktops squinting into the bulb you could see the good in things.

TRA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

yar

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #207 on: March 13, 2010, 01:03:49 AM »
It's not the 360's fault that you're a clumsy, fat fuck. 

He has returned!!!! :rock :rock :rock
PS4

cool breeze

« Reply #208 on: March 13, 2010, 01:16:37 AM »
Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect 2, and Two Worlds are the only games that have saved this generation from going on the trash heap of history.

Mario Galaxy > Gamecube library sans F-Zero GX

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #209 on: March 13, 2010, 01:29:08 AM »

Mario Galaxy > Gamecube library sans F-Zero GX

Gamecube sucked, bro, so it's not hard to be better. Galaxy's pretty boring anyway. Who wants to jump around in space as fat plumber? Not me.
dog

etiolate

« Reply #210 on: March 13, 2010, 01:41:27 AM »
Gamecube was highly underrated

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #211 on: March 13, 2010, 01:43:07 AM »

Two Worlds 2: Three Worlds is going to blow your mind
乱学者

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #212 on: March 13, 2010, 01:49:09 AM »

Two Worlds 2: Three Worlds is going to blow your mind

I eagerly await the day this becomes a reality. :drool
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #213 on: March 13, 2010, 02:22:51 AM »
Gamecube was highly underrated

Uh no
yar

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #214 on: March 13, 2010, 03:26:38 AM »

etiolate

« Reply #215 on: March 13, 2010, 04:15:49 AM »
I'm not going to do a list thing, but there was lots to enjoy on GC. It got lost in a war of PR and image, but the GC library had a bit of everything. I had a lot of GC games in the end and surprisingly a lot of 3rd party games.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #216 on: March 13, 2010, 09:10:52 AM »
 :-[ I love this gen. I love HD, I love gaming online, I love all in one media centers, I love epic hollywood experiences, I love Nathan Drake and John (Bo in my case) Shepard, I love emulators, and I love progression. Gaming has never been better for me.

Disregarding my love for this gen I understand others love for the older days where gaming was more niche and only PC gamers really had any semblance of a community. Also I can see why PC gamers would be a little dissilusioned through the past few years, they're not the big boys they used to be.

Also OSX > Windows imo. But that's just because I'm a linux nerd (programming, it's HOT) and OSX is built on Unix which makes sense to me. Windows = proprietary to the core = not my bag.

...Sorry this train of thought was so last page.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 09:13:42 AM by quietID »
◕‿◕

M3wThr33

« Reply #217 on: March 13, 2010, 02:49:38 PM »
I'm not going to do a list thing, but there was lots to enjoy on GC. It got lost in a war of PR and image, but the GC library had a bit of everything. I had a lot of GC games in the end and surprisingly a lot of 3rd party games.
I agree with you. A lot of PS2->GC ports had better load times. The only real sucky part on the GC was the controller. Nice for like 6 games, but the A button and B button REALLY SUCKED after a while. I had to do the torque twist on the controller in a vain attempt to make them useful again.

cool breeze

« Reply #218 on: March 13, 2010, 03:02:39 PM »
The only problems I have with this gen are the overabundance of shooters or shooter elements.  It's not bad if you love shooters but I'd love more variety.  I mean, it's not like it didn't happen last gen (for example all the Sony devs last gen were doing platformers and switched over to more shooter-y games), I just wish there was a bit more.  I think shooters especially became more popular because they seem to be the easiest to have online play added and that is the real big thing, at least on the 360 and PS3.

Most consoles seem to have a better collective library if you back on their entire lifespan.  In the thick of things the gamecube library was sparse and the advantage it had over the Wii were those multiconsole games.

I agree with you. A lot of PS2->GC ports had better load times. The only real sucky part on the GC was the controller. Nice for like 6 games, but the A button and B button REALLY SUCKED after a while. I had to do the torque twist on the controller in a vain attempt to make them useful again.

yeah, the Gamecube controller was interesting in the design.  You have the main "A" button in the center with Y/X/B surrounding it meaning that you could access any other button without straying far from the main one.  Didn't quite work out so well, though.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 03:05:12 PM by swaggaz »

Beezy

« Reply #219 on: March 13, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
This is one of the few times that I agree with you.

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #220 on: March 13, 2010, 05:46:05 PM »
The sheer volume of content available through retail channels and digital distribution should shut up folks.  The largest upsets ever in the industry are occuring now, and I'm enjoying a lot of the experimental stuff as a result.  The early gens were a glut of platformers, ps1 gen introduced narrative/cinematic gaming and made it a sad sad focus.  I guess the ps2 dominance era was good, but everything else has had its fair share of homogenous catalouges and other niggling bullshit.
sad

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #221 on: March 13, 2010, 06:28:28 PM »
Every gen gets better than the last, because you've got access to all the great games from the past in addition to  any great games that may appear in the present.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:greenshinobi
[close]
sup

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #222 on: March 13, 2010, 06:53:06 PM »
This gen is pretty fucking awesome. List war.

<snip>

World of Warcraft

Possibly less of an actual game than Wii Music.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #223 on: March 13, 2010, 07:01:01 PM »
I have to bite, you played it?

That's an impossible question to answer, since you can't "play" a chat client with a pretty gui.  :smug
yar

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #224 on: March 13, 2010, 07:41:26 PM »
I have to admit, the 10 day free trial in my battle.net account tempts me sometimes.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
lol jk
[close]
AMC

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #225 on: March 13, 2010, 07:44:43 PM »
yeah, not saying Biff is in the same boat but there seem to be a large number of people who usually say "WoW? pfff LoL more like! The MM stands for Massively Mundane etc etc" that usually haven't played it. at all.

I'd put him in that boat, because he was in that boat for Speed Racer.
AMC

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #226 on: March 13, 2010, 08:09:23 PM »
hardcore mac fans are fucking distinguished mentally-challenged fellows, PLEASE let them enter the gaming realm because it will give everyone someone to piss on.

What I don't get is why Mac fans, like Abrader, continue to claim that Apple is a premium brand.  How the hell is it a premium brand if its computers don't even have the highest performing components on the market?  The fastest videocard that can run in a Mac is one generation behind, not to mention that multi-GPU configurations are non-existent for that platform. 

I don't mind dishing out the money but show me why I should pay that much.  You don't buy a BMW or Mercedes for Toyota performance. 

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #227 on: March 13, 2010, 08:11:20 PM »
Holy shit, Smooth Groove is back??
AMC

Smooth Groove

« Reply #228 on: March 13, 2010, 08:21:54 PM »
I wish I knew how to quit you.   :-*

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #229 on: March 13, 2010, 08:30:50 PM »
hardcore mac fans are fucking distinguished mentally-challenged fellows, PLEASE let them enter the gaming realm because it will give everyone someone to piss on.

What I don't get is why Mac fans, like Abrader, continue to claim that Apple is a premium brand.  How the hell is it a premium brand if its computers don't even have the highest performing components on the market?  The fastest videocard that can run in a Mac is one generation behind, not to mention that multi-GPU configurations are non-existent for that platform. 

I don't mind dishing out the money but show me why I should pay that much.  You don't buy a BMW or Mercedes for Toyota performance. 

Because Apple's version of premium is more about looks, build quality and aesthetics.

Crazy i know

Smooth Groove

« Reply #230 on: March 13, 2010, 08:34:10 PM »
Those are important qualities but so is performance.  My example still applies.  A BMW doesn't just look better than a Toyota. 

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #231 on: March 13, 2010, 08:42:35 PM »
Those are important qualities but so is performance.  My example still applies.  A BMW doesn't just look better than a Toyota. 

I agree with that but Apple has found a way to not let that matter.  :lol

I guess with focusing so strongly on aesthetics it affects the customer's judgment (after all "looks" is the first thing for most people) and makes the product distinguish itself from the other competitors, different even.

People love different and will pay for it.

There is another reason about "MAC fans not really caring about performance" i thought of but its kinda crazy so i will keep it in my head..

« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 09:08:28 PM by Purple Filth »

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
Re: NEVER FORGET
« Reply #232 on: March 13, 2010, 08:45:12 PM »
Tacos

cool breeze

« Reply #233 on: March 13, 2010, 09:21:46 PM »
I'm sure there are ways people can describe mmorpgs as games, but of the dozens of people I know who have been playing it for the past ~5 years don't treat it like one.  From my outsider perspective, it's part chat application and part addiction.

that said, Old Republic looks good.  I haven't played an mmo more than a few hours but I'm willing to try it if only because the last two bioware games I played were excellent.

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #234 on: March 13, 2010, 09:52:56 PM »
I was tempted to shell out for a Mac this time around, but yeah, the price/performance ratio was just off. I love OSX, and Apple has acquired some awesome software over the years (Shake and Logic being the two most important ones), but I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a Mac. Bummer.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #235 on: March 13, 2010, 10:29:35 PM »
I'm sure there are ways people can describe mmorpgs as games, but of the dozens of people I know who have been playing it for the past ~5 years don't treat it like one.  From my outsider perspective, it's part chat application and part addiction.

that said, Old Republic looks good.  I haven't played an mmo more than a few hours but I'm willing to try it if only because the last two bioware games I played were excellent.

Actually, it's worse than just a chat application. Most people that are REALLY into MMOs treat it like a job. No thanks. :yuck
©@©™

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #236 on: March 13, 2010, 10:32:42 PM »
I'm not an MMO guy nor do I have any interest in ever really playing any and I've never played WoW but I understand the appeal. A "never ending" game with strong social and community ties.

There may one day be a game in the genre that attracts me but it hasn't happened yet.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 10:34:35 PM by Stoney Mason »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #237 on: March 13, 2010, 10:36:46 PM »
I love WoW but I haven't been able to will myself to spend much time on it since getting into the SCII beta. I'm also bored with much of the raid content, at least from my perspective as a tank. Blizz makes healers work their ass off, but tanks kinda just sit on each other and face roll.

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #238 on: March 13, 2010, 11:10:27 PM »

Level 60 WoW raids are by far the best game experience I've ever had. It had some of the best bosses in gaming and they can get as tough as nails. I've never played a single game that can compare to the raid zones and sense of accomplishment from clearing Molten Core, Blackwing Lair, Ahn'Qiraj, and Naxxramas. Even killing Onyxia for the first time and placing her head on a giant stake in the middle of Orgrimmar was amazing.

:bow Level 60 WoW, the best game ever created :bow2
BiSH

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #239 on: March 13, 2010, 11:59:02 PM »
I didn't raid back then, I wish I had; had lots of computer problems back then. My first raiding actually occurred in the latest expansion, so 10-25 man Naxx was my first experience. I had lots of fun, and I liked Ulduar as well, although eventually I got tired of the hard mode grind. ICC has some fun fights but overall it's pretty repetitive. Maybe hard modes will breath new light into things. Right now I just don't feel much of a challenge as a tank.