Author Topic: February NPD  (Read 19788 times)

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Re: February NPD
« Reply #240 on: March 14, 2010, 11:01:37 AM »
The generation is fine if you don't take games too seriously.  I guess its because I don't buy that many games anymore, but I'm not encountering half the stuff people bitch about. And pc gaming is still terrible, I'll have a smug sense of satisfaction when it fades into the darkest dregs of obscurity.

Oh yes you are, Capt. Waggle.  Aren't you constantly saying Wii Music is a game?

That is because a Nintendo fan is required to have his or her gaming tastes change depending completely on what household activity Shigeru Miyamoto likes to participate in.  A Nintendo fan can't bitch because that means that they would go against their demigod's latest creation, based loosely off of his tending of his garden or measuring how long his favorite set of anal beads are.
🍆🍆

Draft

« Reply #241 on: March 14, 2010, 01:20:02 PM »
I would be pretty stoked if someone could pull together a game that had the intensity of MMO raiding without the time commitment.

M3wThr33

« Reply #242 on: March 14, 2010, 02:19:59 PM »
They're not games, because once you reach the level cap, it's more about making your own game with what the program has presented to you.

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #243 on: March 14, 2010, 02:26:20 PM »
The generation is fine if you don't take games too seriously.  I guess its because I don't buy that many games anymore, but I'm not encountering half the stuff people bitch about. And pc gaming is still terrible, I'll have a smug sense of satisfaction when it fades into the darkest dregs of obscurity.

Oh yes you are, Capt. Waggle.  Aren't you constantly saying Wii Music is a game?

That is because a Nintendo fan is required to have his or her gaming tastes change depending completely on what household activity Shigeru Miyamoto likes to participate in.  A Nintendo fan can't bitch because that means that they would go against their demigod's latest creation, based loosely off of his tending of his garden or measuring how long his favorite set of anal beads are.

No, you suck!
sad

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #244 on: March 14, 2010, 02:38:13 PM »
They're not games, because once you reach the level cap, it's more about making your own game with what the program has presented to you.

Presented to you...you mean like raid content, which most people do once they hit the level cap?

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #245 on: March 14, 2010, 08:26:50 PM »
Guild Wars is still the best!  Well, maybe it sucks now since I haven't played it in years, but I had a lot of love for that game back in the day.  WoW's poor excuse for PvP always kept me away from it.

FF11 was a really amazing game though, such a beautiful world and fantastic story.  I liked how you actually had to work your ass off to get anywhere in the game, if you just fooled around you would die and likely level-down in the process.  You needed real strategy, a good group with constant communication, and to never lose focus on what's going on.  WoW just seems so...casual compared to FF11, like playing Wii sports golf after playing Tiger Woods.  I can see why people like the game, but I can't imagine it coming close to the level of accomplishment that 11 provides.  I heard they pussified 11 recently though, which sucks.  Oh well, can't wait for 14, gonna be the MMO of forever!

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #246 on: March 14, 2010, 10:22:23 PM »
one of the biggest reasons IMO that WoW was and is soo much more popular than FFXI online is the simplicity compared to FFXI.

Having played both,  here a list of things I liked about each system.

WoW:

MUCH easier leveling.
No de-leveling if you died.

FFXI:

You character could play all the classes.
Much more challenging to play.

I like both and really want to see how 14 turns out so I can see if they learned anything from the bigger MMOs.
XDF

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #247 on: March 15, 2010, 03:18:35 AM »
The XP loss in 11 was one of the best things about the game.  You really fought for your life, having your team wipe was a disastrous event for all involved.  In games like WoW, death is little more than a minor inconvenience, and really only costs you what time you put into that mission.  It sucks, but oh well, just try again.  In 11, you really feel bad when you die, and you play the game much more carefully as a result.

I really liked how Guild Wars handled experience, though.  You hit max level very quickly, along with being able to get max weapons and armor.  From there it's all about your skillset and strategies for the diverse amount of missions and raids.  The game was really well-balanced for it, and you didn't have to worry about being underleveled for quests for very long.  Of course, such a system wouldn't work well in all games, but I really think that GW is the type of model people should be looking at (especially for PvP).

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #248 on: March 15, 2010, 05:03:25 AM »
Guild Wars is such a beautiful game, and really gives you a sense of accomplishment after many of the tougher quests. It lost my interest after awhile though, and WoW took over.

WoW is a casual mmo, everyone knows that. I notice many people who complain about the lack of difficulty don't do the harder stuff, like hard modes. Ulduar hard modes were pretty challenging, especially for 10 man guilds that didn't do much 25 man raiding to gear up. ICC is pretty easy for the most part, but I'd imagine the hard modes will be a pain in the ass.

But while I like the idea of hard modes, I'd kinda like to see a raid that's uncompromising and offers the best of the best. Instead of getting legendary items through ridiculous farming of items, why not get them in a smallish, hardcore raid

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #249 on: March 15, 2010, 08:02:31 AM »

No that would be Darkfall.
itm

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #250 on: March 15, 2010, 08:11:56 AM »
One of those February 360 purchases was me! :D
SRY

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #251 on: March 15, 2010, 10:20:43 AM »
From gamasutra

Damn,i was wrong...enjoy your inferior sound arcade owners

:derp PSP GO :derp
cat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #252 on: March 15, 2010, 10:37:37 AM »
I'm not at all an MMO fan, and totally skipped FF11 (even though my brother was pretty hooked on it for a long while till he started med school)... but I am slightly interested in FF14. Certainly much more than WOW.
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #253 on: March 15, 2010, 11:50:58 AM »
From gamasutra

(Image removed from quote.)

PSP GO :rofl
dog

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #254 on: March 15, 2010, 11:54:16 AM »
I'm so glad the Go flopped.
PS4

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #255 on: March 15, 2010, 11:56:01 AM »
What the crap is a PSP Go? Or, for that matter, a PSP 3000.

archie4208

« Reply #256 on: March 15, 2010, 11:56:39 AM »
PSP Go = digital download handheld ONLY. 

PSP 3000 - newest version of the PSP.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #257 on: March 15, 2010, 01:08:32 PM »
The PSP Go was destined to fail miserably. You don't release an inferior version of your prior handheld for a higher price and expect to get away with it.

plus not having all the games up for selection  :lol

So poorly thought out.

cool breeze

« Reply #258 on: March 15, 2010, 01:53:38 PM »
yeah, Guild Wars is the closest thing to an MMO that I'd play.  I wanted to get into the original back when it came out and I'll probably check out the sequel whenever it is released.

etiolate

« Reply #259 on: March 15, 2010, 04:11:21 PM »
guild wars :rock

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #260 on: March 15, 2010, 04:11:38 PM »
So why the hell isnt it mega clearance?? Id buy one dor $100-150

archie4208

« Reply #261 on: March 15, 2010, 04:24:42 PM »
I'm sure the $100,000 they made on Go hardware in February will offset the billions lost on the PS3.

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
« Reply #262 on: March 15, 2010, 04:38:20 PM »
:smug
dap

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #263 on: March 15, 2010, 04:40:30 PM »
You guys laugh but sony is running to the bank with those Go sales I bet. I mean they cant be cracked so anyone who buys it will buy some games, plus they make an extra 100 on the unit itself.

Honestly, if they wanted to move the remaining PSP Go units they could just sneak in a easily-discovered buffer overflow into their  firmware. That thing would be insanely awesome with some sort of custom firmware.
hex

dark1x

« Reply #264 on: March 15, 2010, 04:41:40 PM »
You guys laugh but sony is running to the bank with those Go sales I bet. I mean they cant be cracked so anyone who buys it will buy some games, plus they make an extra 100 on the unit itself.

Honestly, if they wanted to move the remaining PSP Go units they could just sneak in a easily-discovered buffer overflow into their  firmware. That thing would be insanely awesome with some sort of custom firmware.
Pretty much.  I would absolutely buy one if it were capable of running custom firmware.  It's screaming for it.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #265 on: March 15, 2010, 04:43:45 PM »
Why would it be amazing? It's still a PSP in the end. Just get a 2000 and you're set
fat

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #266 on: March 15, 2010, 04:49:13 PM »
Why would it be amazing? It's still a PSP in the end. Just get a 2000 and you're set

I'm assuming it would be at it's now-discounted price point (180-200), which includes the 16GB internal memory that you'd have to buy separately for a PSP-2000. It's also better portable and has that neat save state feature for games (which I'd use since I actually use my PSP to watch movies/television shows).
hex

GoofyGoober

« Reply #267 on: March 15, 2010, 09:32:36 PM »
I thought the PSP3000 had everything the GO does but the slider and built in memory.

I'm working a Hanna Montana PSP, it does UMD and digital download. I'm set. Best of all it was $130.

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #268 on: March 15, 2010, 11:43:19 PM »
I finally messed around with a PSP-GO at Best Buy last week and found it to be pretty cool.  I'd get one if it were $150 and DD games are never more than $10.

Pros:  The screen is noticeably sharper than the PSP 2000's.  The GO's form factor is more portable than the 2000's but it doesn't feel too small to be comfortable during play.

Cons: The battery can't be swapped and has a very low capacity.  Games aren't free. 

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #269 on: March 16, 2010, 12:08:42 AM »
From gamasutra

(Image removed from quote.)

:rofl That's awesome.  They should just round off the month's sales to zero.

M3wThr33

« Reply #270 on: March 16, 2010, 03:57:40 PM »
The PSP Go would have been a success with 3 simple changes:

1) Launch at $199
2) Guarantee 100% of all future UMD titles on PSP Go. (No Kingdom Hearts, F that!)
3) Upgrade plan of ANY sort to get existing users to purchase. (mail in UMDs, exchange system at a GameStop, etc.)

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #271 on: March 18, 2010, 02:18:21 PM »
UK February 2010 sales,Famitsu

UK Top 10: February 2010
01 (01) [WII] Just Dance - 172,000
02 (__) [360] Aliens vs Predator - 119,000
03 (__) [360] Bioshock 2 - 111,000
04 (__) [PS3] Heavy Rain - 86,000
05 (03) [WII] Wii Sports Resort - 73,000
06 (06) [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 72,000
07 (__) [PS3] Aliens vs Predator - 70,000
08 (02) [WII] Wii Fit Plus - 66,000
09 (04) [360] Mass Effect 2 - 60,000
10 (__) [PS3] Bioshock 2 - 49,000

Just Dance is a monster,it will zoom past 1 million in UK soon(if it hasn't done that yet)
cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #272 on: March 18, 2010, 03:24:10 PM »
Famitsu reports on UK monthly sales? wtf
Yes,funny thing...lol

They have some kind of collaboration with GFK,Chart-Track so they publish monthly UK charts in Famitsu magazine.
cat

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #273 on: March 18, 2010, 03:38:11 PM »
AVP is their best selling "real" game?  Isn't it supposed to be total crap?

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #274 on: March 18, 2010, 07:09:50 PM »
I never heard of Just Dance.

PAL regions go nuts for crap like Singstar, no wonder Just Dance is selling well.

huckleberry

« Reply #275 on: March 18, 2010, 07:15:22 PM »
So why the hell isnt it mega clearance?? Id buy one dor $100-150

I got one that is mint that you can buy for 150.
wub

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #276 on: March 18, 2010, 07:22:04 PM »
300 posts. A week old. On top of the gaming forum.

Nice job, gaffers.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #277 on: March 20, 2010, 05:54:44 PM »
forum's been shit for a while now
yar

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator