Author Topic: Random talk thread: It just keeps happening  (Read 3369642 times)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Re: New Random Talk Thread: Let the Bottom-Feeding Commence!
« Reply #31500 on: June 03, 2018, 08:52:07 PM »
The victory of open source software. :lol

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #31501 on: June 04, 2018, 01:43:22 AM »

Michael B.
1 week ago (edited)
One ex coworker of mine whom came in at about 450lbs. absolutely loved all you can eat buffets. He told me (before he went on permanent disability) one trick he would do is find out what time the dinner priced menu starts and get there at the tail end of the cheaper lunch menu and put something small in front of him and pick at it making it look like he's actively eating. Then when the dinner items come out he gorges himself with the more expensive dinner menu food items, but with the cheaper lunch menu price. I never endeavored to take his advice on this nor will I as I would rather not be bed ridden and have all kinds of health problems the rest of my life.

Baked Beanie Sigel
1 week ago
I once stayed 2 days in a 24 hour buffet. Employees didn't notice because I would move to different seats every couple of hours. All I did was eat and watch movies on my phone.

Baked Beanie Sigel
6 days ago
I took a 2 or 3 naps in the bathroom stalls, but for the most part I didn't sleep much.

Baked Beanie Sigel
3 days ago (edited)
@Dada55 Far from it. This year alone I'm set to earn a minimum of $73k but that can increase. I'm just incredibly cheap, and have a lot of free time on my hands. I have no children, or wife currently, or many friends. So I can be cheap until I meet a woman to marry. I take the public train to the office, I buy my suits from the Goodwill, and I live in an apartment that cost only $575 a month. My co-workers live extravagant lifestyles very different from mines. Most of them think I have financial issues, or I'm weird, but neither is the case. I'm a humble man who loves to save money and live as cheap as possible.However, there was a time I was on the brink of being homeless. It humbled me for life, which is why I live the way I do now.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #31502 on: June 06, 2018, 01:55:25 AM »
Most me thing I did today: I was watching a YouTube video about a German-made luxury good whose manufacturer was nationalized in der DDR and during a brief history of the manufacturer the narrator said, "the German government took all the brands into state ownership," and I was like :mynicca at calling the GDR "the German government." Going to start using that in my repertoire.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31503 on: June 06, 2018, 06:16:17 AM »
The common parlance in German media is Unrechtsstaat, i.e. unjust state.

As opposed to:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechtsstaat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31504 on: June 06, 2018, 01:52:11 PM »
Parmesan has a very complicated flavor that can only be appreciated by those with a refined palette, so it's not surprising that Dufus doesn't like it.  :snob
dog

Kara

« Reply #31505 on: June 07, 2018, 12:29:24 AM »
The common parlance in German media is Unrechtsstaat, i.e. unjust state.

As opposed to:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechtsstaat

This is like that picture of the 2 Spider-Mans pointing at one another. :lol

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #31506 on: June 07, 2018, 05:06:32 AM »
I don't know what thread to post this in.

Man shoots computer in frustration (July 1997)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Much to your disappointment, this did not actually happen. The computer was powered off at the time and the man who fired the gun was not even in the same room as the device - it was an accident through a wall. But such a story finds a way to print because it satisfies our underlying assumptions, such as "computers are frustrating enough to shoot at". Consider that the next time you read the news.
[close]
每天生气

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #31507 on: June 07, 2018, 08:57:31 PM »
wrong thread

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #31508 on: June 07, 2018, 09:14:05 PM »
WTF Ontario

Kara

« Reply #31509 on: June 09, 2018, 04:58:46 AM »
The episode of Blossom I'm watching had a David Duke joke. :dead :dead :dead

tfw u realize a joke about David Duke has a reasonably decent chance of being understood in 2018. :goty2
[close]

G The Resurrected

« Reply #31510 on: June 09, 2018, 09:35:46 AM »
Fucking clock.... I'm not gonna rush, but fuck you clock!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31511 on: June 10, 2018, 03:05:17 AM »
thought the highlight of the week would be watching solo and crapping on it, ended up in the hospital for 4 days pondering my own mortality  :whew
This requires some additional clarification. Are you alright?

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #31512 on: June 10, 2018, 03:09:21 AM »
i just noticed a "action movies for ramadan" section on netflix's homepage

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31513 on: June 10, 2018, 07:53:58 AM »
i just noticed a "action movies for ramadan" section on netflix's homepage
That list better include Rambo 3  :lol
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #31514 on: June 10, 2018, 10:12:51 PM »

Misses Witch
2 weeks ago
Why would you want to escape traps? <3

Lucha Jon
1 week ago
Or you could not be gay and pound that boipucci.

wil401prov
4 days ago
So u guys wanna smash a cheeseburger?

akblamn187
3 days ago
Passables will get smashed every time

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #31515 on: June 11, 2018, 02:57:54 AM »
You aight, Moms? What happened?
Doctors dont know. I was hospitalized with intense pain and internal bleeding, doc says to me 'well you're too young for it to be cancer' goes off for three days and does every test except that one and is like 'well i dunno what it is' come back in a month for follow up tests 'sweatdrop.png' so inno.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #31516 on: June 11, 2018, 03:36:01 PM »
you've contributed a lot of likes to my campaign. get better, breh  :-\

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #31517 on: June 11, 2018, 09:48:48 PM »
The episode of Blossom I'm watching had a David Duke joke. :dead :dead :dead

tfw u realize a joke about David Duke has a reasonably decent chance of being understood in 2018. :goty2
[close]

If the 2020 elections were between Blossom and David Duke, who do you think would win? Who does America deserve?
serge

Kara

« Reply #31518 on: June 11, 2018, 11:59:32 PM »
David Duke by a landslide. (That's my answer to both questions.)

shosta

« Reply #31519 on: June 13, 2018, 05:08:48 AM »
seeing my comments on YouTube videos from multiple years ago makes me feel like a loser
每天生气

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31520 on: June 14, 2018, 08:06:14 AM »
Confused: Hi, Calendar entry.
Me: ....?
Confused: Can you hop on and I'll show you.
Me: Sure.
Confused: I'm trying to edit this calendar entry to change an address, but when I click on it, I can't do anything.
I double-click on the entry to actually open it up.
Confused: WHAT DID YOU JUST DO!?!?
Me: I double-clicked it on it.
Confused: BUT I WAS JUST DOING THAT I THOUGHT!
Me: .....
Me: Well, once this is open you can edit the details.
Confused is clearly embarrassed and hurriedly ends the call.
:dead
ど助平

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #31521 on: June 15, 2018, 02:08:17 AM »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31522 on: June 15, 2018, 02:59:14 AM »
Model hiring agency for parties, events and promotions.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #31523 on: June 16, 2018, 04:36:33 AM »
a bourgeoisie backpage  8)

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #31524 on: June 16, 2018, 03:35:48 PM »
During my time off I'm thinking about going vegetarian for a week (possibly 2 weeks) to see if that helps with my various health/energy issues.

I always hear vegetarians and vegans rave about how "healthy" and "energetic" they feel after they made the switch. So I'm gonna see if that's all BS or not for myself.  :goty2

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #31525 on: June 17, 2018, 09:36:10 AM »
 ::) ::) ::)
dur

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #31526 on: June 17, 2018, 11:48:05 AM »
During my time off I'm thinking about going vegetarian for a week (possibly 2 weeks) to see if that helps with my various health/energy issues.

I always hear vegetarians and vegans rave about how "healthy" and "energetic" they feel after they made the switch. So I'm gonna see if that's all BS or not for myself.  :goty2

focus

agrajag

« Reply #31527 on: June 17, 2018, 12:00:26 PM »
Atra in my interactions with vegans/vegetarians low energy frail and could be tipped over from a moderate gust of wind.

Kara

« Reply #31528 on: June 17, 2018, 12:04:01 PM »
Didn't you get put on leave because you were burning out? You'll feel low energy for awhile until you demobilize from overwork.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #31529 on: June 17, 2018, 12:15:20 PM »
My leave starts on the 21st.

Kara

« Reply #31530 on: June 17, 2018, 12:17:24 PM »
I wouldn't make any lifestyle changes at a personal nadir. Bless up and then see if you want to stop being a flesh tearer.

Kara

« Reply #31531 on: June 17, 2018, 03:32:29 PM »
Don't really know what thread to catalog this under so I'm putting it here. (I'm inclined to go with triumph of the day but that seems a little callous.)

My sibling and I had a falling out years ago and didn't speak afterwards. The specifics of it aren't terribly relevant--and I wouldn't share them here even if they were--so use your imagination if you want to know why.

Somewhat recently we started speaking again. I laid out some opt-in boundaries that were mutually agreed to when this started, one of which was that we weren't going to relitigate the past. (I did however acknowledge the feelings that may have made them want to do so.) I did that because I knew that there was a 0% chance of having a durable relationship without a reboot, and also because talking about the past with a person whose schizophrenia is not treated properly is ill-advised.

Over the ensuing months I would give respectful yet laconic replies to absolute garrulity and that seemed to work fine for both of us. Whenever things got personal I was happy to let them talk about themselves but evasive about myself because my schtick of mocking people who have interpersonal trust isn't the slightest bit cynical when it comes to my sibling.

About a week ago something happened with them and they became very hostile. (For example, instead of a tome about something I didn't agree with I'd get 6 insulting emails in a row over the course of 10 minutes.) These emails eventually drifted into relitigating the past so I replied and said, "6 months ago I wrote this, seems applicable now:" and then quoted the boundary from my first email in January. My sibling responded with 5 or 6 emails that were, even in the context of the past few days, pretty extreme (while rejecting the boundary).

A couple of hours later they sent an email that said (paraphrasing) "I think I shouldn't talk to you for awhile . . . I'd like to avoid further insensitivity because it just makes things worse." That's the kind of garbo thing our more abusive parent would do growing up instead of apologizing and if there was one person on the entire planet who should know better it's them so I wrote back, "I think it's better if you don't ever talk to me again unless there's an emergency."

shosta

« Reply #31532 on: June 17, 2018, 07:09:02 PM »
My sibling and I had a falling out years ago and didn't speak afterwards. The specifics of it aren't terribly relevant--and I wouldn't share them here even if they were--so use your imagination if you want to know why.
每天生气

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31533 on: June 17, 2018, 07:43:54 PM »
Heard the following from my parents today:

My aunt and cousin had a falling-out a year or two back and stopped speaking to each other.  My cousin is kind of fucked-up and has been to jail a few times, quit school, and that kind of thing.  My aunt used to pay a lot of my cousin's bills, but got tired of being treated like shit and just stopped doing so, which led to them fighting a bunch but I heard they made up.  Then they stopped talking again when my cousin either took her step-dad's car without telling anyone or borrowed it but didn't return it for a while.  It all sounds pretty petty, but my cousin also sounds like a total bitch.  My dad said that my uncle showed him texts he received, where she'd be like "how are you, daddy?  I love you so much!" when she wanted money, and then after he'd send her some and would text her, she'd respond with "GO FUCK YOURSELF".  Classy.

So now my cousin is getting married.  Nobody is invited, which isn't a surprise- my cousin has basically distanced herself from the entire family and didn't even go to our grandmother's funeral earlier this year, which I thought was incredibly shitty.  My aunt attempted to reconcile and went to go see my cousin at work.  She gave her a big hug, but her daughter didn't return it and just let her arms hang at her sides.  They talked for a bit and my aunt asked about the wedding.  They're only inviting a few people and going to Montana to have it.  My aunt wanted to go and my cousin responded with "I'll need to talk to my fiance about it" and that was it.  Didn't get good vibes from it.

My aunt is pretty sure that my cousin has told her fiance some kind of lie about her family.  She thinks it's something like making up a violent event or even telling him that her mother is dead.  So fucked up.  We're all fairly certain that this marriage isn't going to last too long anyway.  :doge
ど助平

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #31534 on: June 18, 2018, 10:53:50 AM »
The fiance agreed to marry her without meeting her family so it's likely what you say is true, or worse.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #31535 on: June 18, 2018, 12:58:00 PM »
I fucking hate ASC842

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #31536 on: June 18, 2018, 08:00:34 PM »
Actual conversation 5 minutes ago:

The Ball and Chain: The police have released a description of a suspected sex offender who fits your description.
Me: So?
The Ball and Chain: The incident happened half a block away.
The Ball and Chain: He was wearing the type of clothing you are wearing right now.
The Ball and Chain: They have also released footage of the suspect.
The Ball and Chain: :Here, let me show it to you.
*shows footage*
Me: Fuck. . .
The Ball and Chain: Now . . . I know it's not you. . . .
Me: The guy in the footage and the in the stills is not wearing glasses! It can't be me!
The Ball and Chain: . . . .

[close]

Don't arrest me, Boogie.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #31537 on: June 18, 2018, 08:05:22 PM »
Time to switch from flannel to suede.  :doge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #31538 on: June 18, 2018, 08:59:03 PM »
Actual conversation 5 minutes ago:

The Ball and Chain: The police have released a description of a suspected sex offender who fits your description.
The Ball and Chain: The incident happened half a block away.
The Ball and Chain: He was wearing the type of clothing you are wearing right now.
The Ball and Chain: They have also released footage of the suspect.
The Ball and Chain: :Here, let me show it to you.
*shows footage*
Me: Fuck. . .
The Ball and Chain: Now . . . I know it's not you. . . .
Me: The guy in the footage and the in the stills is not wearing glasses! It can't be me!
The Ball and Chain: . . . .

[close]

Don't arrest me, Boogie.
you also fit the description of a moderator on neogaf.com  :)

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #31539 on: June 18, 2018, 11:50:45 PM »
How could you do that to flannel girl!

She's been in Lake Winnipeg since 2009.

She appears to be alive according to google. Cute Girl got married five years ago. Fit Girl has no online presence, but I randomly found her (much younger) Toronto doppelgänger today.
[close]

Don't look at me.
[close]

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #31540 on: June 18, 2018, 11:57:38 PM »
It's my physical restraint that also talks to me.

How do people remember stuff online. Who is Jack Remington? GS?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #31541 on: June 19, 2018, 12:21:03 AM »
Holyshit.  Ankle monitors with skype in them.  I'm going to be rich. 

shosta

« Reply #31542 on: June 19, 2018, 01:41:06 AM »
kinda hoping that whenever we get legit cybernetics, the word "wetware" goes back into vogue
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #31543 on: June 19, 2018, 11:09:59 AM »
Why are mods locking threads?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #31544 on: June 19, 2018, 03:18:56 PM »

agrajag

« Reply #31545 on: June 19, 2018, 03:27:18 PM »
:confused

The shitty videos thread got locked earlier today, and then later reopened. The mods capitulated probably under mounting pressure from me.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #31546 on: June 19, 2018, 03:35:01 PM »
 :)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #31547 on: June 19, 2018, 08:41:09 PM »
Thought I saw Malek on the street, but he was sexually assaulting someone, so guess it wasn't him. 

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #31548 on: June 19, 2018, 11:34:47 PM »
use the tacobell thread

agrajag

« Reply #31549 on: June 20, 2018, 01:27:24 AM »
:confused

The shitty videos thread got locked earlier today, and then later reopened. The mods capitulated probably under mounting pressure from me.

It was that tyrant Momo locking his own thread.

:mindblown

Real etoilet you pulled there, bud

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #31550 on: June 20, 2018, 01:48:43 AM »
I locked it cause it's a dumb JP circle jerk. Make your own thread lazy fuck.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31551 on: June 20, 2018, 07:20:53 AM »
I thought you conceived it to be one. As quarantine.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #31552 on: June 20, 2018, 08:41:09 AM »
I thought you conceived it to be one. As quarantine.
No one who cares is even here anymore, the thread has served it's purpose and is now that lame guy that tries to do sarcasm but becomes the thing it satires.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31553 on: June 20, 2018, 09:37:57 AM »
Did people even care in the first place?

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #31554 on: June 20, 2018, 10:27:59 AM »
 :trash caring :trash

rub

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #31555 on: June 20, 2018, 05:12:05 PM »
Been working on a small bust of myself  https://imgur.com/zYOdrZ9  in progress

shosta

« Reply #31556 on: June 20, 2018, 06:46:44 PM »
Why is it that programmers always seem to think that the rest of the world is stupid?
Because they are autodidacts.  The main purpose of higher education and making all the smartest kids from one school come together with all the smartest kids from other schools, recursively, is to show every smart kid everywhere that they are not the smartest kid around, that no matter how smart they are, they are not equally smart at everything even though they were just that to begin with, and there will therefore always be smarter kids, if nothing else, than at something other than they are smart at.  If you take a smart kid out of this system, reward him with lots of money that he could never make otherwise, reward him with control over machines that journalists are morbidly afraid of and make the entire population fear second-hand, and prevent him from ever meeting smarter people than himself, he will have no recourse but to believe that he /is/ smarter than everybody else.  Educate him properly and force him to reach the point of intellectual exhaustion and failure where there is no other route to success than to ask for help, and he will gain a profound respect for other people.  Many programmers act like they are morbidly afraid of being discovered to be less smart than they think they are, and many of them respond with extreme hostility on Usenet precisely because they get a glimpse of their own limitations. To people whose entire life has been about being in control, loss of control is actually a very good reason to panic.
每天生气

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #31557 on: June 20, 2018, 08:33:27 PM »
Hi, I think you're all wonderful.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #31558 on: June 20, 2018, 11:08:27 PM »
https://imgur.com/a/z6YDLUS  Looking more like me.  Also, I guess I gave myself a cock nose. 

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #31559 on: June 21, 2018, 12:11:13 AM »
Hi, I think you're all wonderful.
can we marry you? like all of us  8)