Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1492370 times)

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #20940 on: November 12, 2018, 03:08:47 PM »
did Vince shrink with age

Everybody does. Spoilers....
YMMV

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20942 on: November 13, 2018, 06:29:27 PM »

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #20943 on: November 13, 2018, 07:15:29 PM »
地平線

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #20944 on: November 13, 2018, 07:45:03 PM »
Draymond seems like a pretty chill guy that wouldn't hold a grudge or let this eat at him.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20945 on: November 14, 2018, 09:30:26 PM »
lulz. Big 4th quarter collapse by the new look 76ers against the magic

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20946 on: November 14, 2018, 10:29:55 PM »
Hot take: Jeff van gundys complaining is worse than the things he complains about

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20947 on: November 14, 2018, 10:57:04 PM »
Hot take: Jeff van gundys complaining is worse than the things he complains about

I was never part of the Van Gundy love brigade that happened a few years ago. I never cared for his Abe Simpson yells at cloud rants.

But don't ever criticize a coach. Everybody can be criticized except his fellow coaches.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20948 on: November 14, 2018, 10:59:41 PM »
Serious hot take: now that we know where jimmy landed we can get a picture of how this seasons gonna look.

Toronto is clearly the best team in the east and should probably come out the conference even if/when Boston figures their shit out. Kawhi is maybe the best player on the planet right now.

Sixers transitioning rn and their roster, and probably coaching staff, is gonna be revealed to be inadequate. Jimmy is the most likely voice to initiate turnover in both departments because no one else, including the front office, has the stones.

Indiana is the same team. Charlotte is better; kembas a legit dark horse mvp candidate. Detroit’s competitive :leon. Milwaukee’s playing free and have given sniper Bropez the green light; they’re better than whoevers 4-8 in the east but just lost to Memphis tonight at home so I don’t think they’re running w/ Boston or Toronto either. Miami and Washington both fucking blow, last playoff spot is open for Orlando, brooklyn, and maybe Chicago if lauri comes back quick enough. 39 wins should be good enough.

OKC with a healthy Roberson is probably the second best team in the west. Houston’s gonna be in the playoffs somewhere even granting their slow start but they’re clearly not as good as a year ago and oddly, it’s been on offense where they’ve regressed the most. San Antonio is legit sad to watch, old man Aldridge + a roster of misfit toys; still making the playoffs, obv. Portland’s the same team. Denver and New Orleans looked like the fun new teams on the come up but they’ve both falle back down to earth since two weeks ago, at least Denver’s still winning. The only teams that are for sure out of it are Phoenix and Dallas. You’ve gotta think Sacramento’s balloon is bound to pop any minute. Either way it’s another clusterfuck around spots 6-12. At least 3 legit good (or maybe just ‘winning’) teams are gonna miss the playoffs

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20949 on: November 14, 2018, 11:02:13 PM »
Lakers defense is so bad it sucks the fun out of watching them.  :yuck

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #20950 on: November 15, 2018, 12:31:58 AM »
Detroit’s competitive :leon.
It's an illusion. Team basically can't shoot.

I don't think Casey realizes that his real only offensive option is to go back to some of Stan's sets with Andre passing, and then let him and Blake just freelance in the high/low post, plus screening for each other, etc. because they're the some of the only two guys of their size athletic enough that you don't have to sub them out against "small ball" lineups playing two 4's or a 4 plus a stretch 5.

They need to start stealing some dudes from the Atlanta/Budenholzer 3 and D factories. Or grab a bunch of scraps from someone who wants to get under the tax.

Really, they should look at dealing with Cleveland. Jackson and Leuer in place of Hill and Clarkson could save the Cavs $8+ million. Add in Stanley Johnson and Bullock for Korver and that would drop them under the luxury tax altogether.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20951 on: November 15, 2018, 01:02:09 AM »
After talking shit, the Lakers play their best game of the season. Lebron had a killer night.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 02:34:06 AM by Stoney Mason »

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #20952 on: November 15, 2018, 03:27:51 AM »
After tuning out of the last few raptors seasons it feels weird to have a legitimate finals-level team

Kawhi is transcendent, even if it'll only be for a year

Himu

« Reply #20953 on: November 15, 2018, 03:28:59 AM »
Fucking Glen turning on to liking James after years of hate is giving me life in its satirical embrace of the pageantry in sports fandom.
IYKYK

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #20954 on: November 16, 2018, 09:12:21 AM »
After talking shit, the Lakers play their best game of the season. Lebron had a killer night.

Keep talking shit.  :lol

I am kinda liking bron on the lakers, but my luck they'll end up bouncing the pels on outskirts of the playoffs then take AD.  :-\

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #20955 on: November 16, 2018, 10:19:35 AM »
https://sports.yahoo.com/warriors-primary-concern-draymond-greens-conduct-detrimental-kevin-durants-future-team-053226752.html

Green to Durant: “You’re a bitch and you know you’re a bitch.....We don't need you. We won without you. Leave.”

:lawd

Know how I know nobody believed him? He took the L.

Guy is too idiotic for the league, watch him not get a max deal from anyone next year. Business matters people.

Edit: Let me tell you people who don't play with Green

KD
LeBron
Steph is done with him
Lillard
Minnesota in General
Philly don't want him
Houston won't even think about it
Giannis hates him

Good luck on that Brooklyn/Knick future breh. Moron.

Double edit: And KD isn't much better, except he's the greatest scorer in the league. That counts. He needs to stop fronting like he's edgy though, that isn't who he is.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 10:25:05 AM by Am_I_Anonymous »
YMMV

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #20956 on: November 16, 2018, 10:52:25 AM »
I'm sure he's edgy once you get to know him.  :joker

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #20957 on: November 16, 2018, 11:19:06 AM »
I'm sure he's edgy once you get to know him.  :joker

No, he isn't.
YMMV

agrajag

« Reply #20958 on: November 16, 2018, 04:34:27 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #20959 on: November 16, 2018, 07:03:52 PM »
Double edit: And KD isn't much better, except he's the greatest scorer in the league. That counts. He needs to stop fronting like he's edgy though, that isn't who he is.
Just you wait, one of these days he'll get a tattoo just outside the edges of his jersey fit and then you'll be embarrassed.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #20960 on: November 16, 2018, 08:42:27 PM »
Just you wait, one of these days he'll get a tattoo just outside the edges of his jersey fit and then you'll be embarrassed.

Or tell somebody to fuck themselves then not apologize in private 3 minutes later. Wade still laughing about it.
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20961 on: November 17, 2018, 09:50:22 PM »
Tonight is the kind of Lakers game I was referencing in my last hate post.

Getting blowing out by the Magic and surrendering 130 points.  :yuck

Garbo.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20962 on: November 18, 2018, 02:29:45 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #20963 on: November 19, 2018, 02:11:54 AM »
here appears to be a substantial disconnect between the Sacramento Kings’ front office and head coach Dave Joerger pertaining to the franchise’s priorities and direction, sources told Yahoo Sports.

It’s win now vs. development for the future.

Joerger’s handling of 2018 No. 2 overall pick Marvin Bagley III could eventually lead to the coach’s dismissal, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Sources said the franchise is growing frustrated with how Joerger is distributing minutes and assigning roles to the team’s young prospects.

The front office views this season as a development year, sources said, but it was still confident that the team would be competitive and grow with Bagley, promising guard De’Aaron Fox, and forwards Harry Giles and Skal Labissiere getting meaningful minutes.

Joerger, generally regarded as one of the best X’s and O’s coaches in the league, has favored playing veteran players over developing youth, especially in crunch time.
wow! who could have seen this coming!

why'd they sign Nemanja if they wanted young guys to play? that frontcourt was already jam-packed (guy has played well though, and he fits a lot of their lineups they've been using weirdly even on defense, especially when he's shooting fucking 48% from three :lol)

also did Zach Randolph like wander off of something?

benjipwns

« Reply #20964 on: November 19, 2018, 02:20:38 AM »
The Grizzlies will give serious consideration to using the stretch provision to unload Chandler Parsons‘ contract after this season ends, writes Chris Herrington of The Daily Memphian.
Other than the fact that he can't seem to stay on the court, he seems like the kind of guy someone in the part of the NBA participating in such things (aka not Memphis) should kick the tires on turning into a stretch 4. Especially with his ball handling.

Sell LeBron on him being a neo-Mike Miller and we can finally get this Beasley-Parsons-Melo-Ingram-LeBron type madness happening. :lawd

benjipwns

« Reply #20965 on: November 19, 2018, 10:34:10 PM »
As the Washington Wizards' season spirals, the franchise is making every player on its roster -- including All-Star guards John Wall and Bradley Beal -- available to discuss in trade scenarios, league sources told ESPN on Monday.

Washington had hopes that forwards Otto Porter and Kelly Oubre could be centerpieces of deals that could return an impactful third star, but those players have fetched minimal interest on the market. Porter has a massive contract on the books, including three years and $81 million left.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20966 on: November 20, 2018, 12:07:13 AM »
they’re paying porter 27 million a year? drewscanlonblinking.gif

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20967 on: November 20, 2018, 12:08:45 AM »
Nets gave him a ridiculous poison-pill offer sheet in restricted free agency and they matched.

El Babua

« Reply #20968 on: November 20, 2018, 12:10:50 AM »
Nets have been damn good at sabotaging other teams by offering these contracts to RFAs.

benjipwns

« Reply #20969 on: November 20, 2018, 12:13:31 AM »
ESPN had a little list in an article a few weeks ago:
IN 2016 AND 2017, the Brooklyn Nets handed out three offer sheets that were matched. In the wild spending summer of '16, they gave the Miami Heat's Tyler Johnson a later-matched four-year, $50 million offer and Allen Crabbe a four-year, $75 million offer that was matched by the Portland Trail Blazers. The next summer, the Nets gave a four-year, $107 million sheet to Otto Porter Jr. that the Washington Wizards matched.

To add some spice to this stroll down memory lane, Johnson later said he threw up several times when the number became public. The Wizards proverbially threw up when they saw Porter's offer-sheet details, which called for him to be paid 50 percent of his salary by Oct. 1 each year. This year, that bill was $13 million.
of course they wound up trading for Crabbe who immediately crapped the bed

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #20970 on: November 20, 2018, 09:29:24 PM »
Clippers really fucked it up tonight
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20971 on: November 25, 2018, 05:17:19 AM »
Wizards beat the Pelicans and seem to be stabilizing. Maybe getting some wins under their belt will ease the tension a bit and they can work some of the locker room stuff out. Yup, things definitely seem to be looking up for the Wiz.

Oh hey, Dwight Howard's trending on Twitter, wonder if he had a highlight reel dunk in the game...

Beezy

« Reply #20972 on: November 25, 2018, 10:51:17 AM »
Uh, Knicks beat the Pelicans too.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20973 on: November 25, 2018, 01:26:32 PM »
Cavs beat 76'ers and Rockets back to back.

Almost beat Lakers in game before that.

:leon

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #20974 on: November 25, 2018, 07:17:09 PM »
Wizards beat the Pelicans and seem to be stabilizing. Maybe getting some wins under their belt will ease the tension a bit and they can work some of the locker room stuff out. Yup, things definitely seem to be looking up for the Wiz.

Oh hey, Dwight Howard's trending on Twitter, wonder if he had a highlight reel dunk in the game...

every wizards fan after a win

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20975 on: November 25, 2018, 07:46:19 PM »
See Lakers in comfortable control near the end of the 2nd quarter over the magic at home. So assured of victory hop on to play some battlefield v for a little while. Hop off.

Lakers lost game. 2nd time in row to the MAGiC.

:-\

Beezy

« Reply #20976 on: November 25, 2018, 09:29:22 PM »
Knicks pulled off a 3 game win streak against the Celtics, Pelicans, and the Grizzlies. :)

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #20977 on: November 25, 2018, 10:02:22 PM »
and had the knicks lost those three games, they'd be in the running for zion

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #20978 on: November 25, 2018, 10:26:57 PM »

Beezy

« Reply #20979 on: November 25, 2018, 10:32:39 PM »
and had the knicks lost those three games, they'd be in the running for zion
I keep hearing this kid's name, but I don't know or care about what's going on in college ball.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #20980 on: November 25, 2018, 10:52:45 PM »
i couldn't ask for a better filler post  :fbm

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #20981 on: November 26, 2018, 12:56:22 AM »
每天生气

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20982 on: November 26, 2018, 02:27:48 AM »

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20983 on: November 26, 2018, 02:20:35 PM »
Surely the clippers’ll be able to capitalize after this hot start :goty

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #20984 on: November 26, 2018, 10:06:17 PM »
THAT'S MY BACKCOURT

benjipwns

« Reply #20985 on: November 27, 2018, 06:22:01 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20986 on: November 27, 2018, 07:12:57 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #20987 on: November 29, 2018, 11:52:16 AM »
Cavaliers get: Guard Alec Burks, Utah's 2020 second-round pick and Washington's 2021 second-round pick

Jazz get: Guard Kyle Korver

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #20988 on: November 29, 2018, 12:01:58 PM »
After a 2-7 start, the Mavericks are now 10-9. We've found our replacement large, white Euro. :rejoice
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #20989 on: November 29, 2018, 08:50:57 PM »
LOS ANGELES -- With the Los Angeles Lakers having lost two games in a row -- the latest being a 32-point drubbing by Denver -- they turned to Coach Herman Boone from T.C. Williams High School to give them a pep talk.

Well, the actor who played Boone, the football coach in "Remember the Titans," anyway. Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka regularly invites notable speakers in entertainment and other industries to address the team, and Denzel Washington was the latest guest in its "Genius Series" on Wednesday. His message came at a fortuitous time.

"It's great," Lakers coach Luke Walton said Thursday. "People are frustrated and angry after those types of games, so you bring in someone like Denzel, and he talks about the things he talks about, it does a nice job of lifting spirits."

Walton said the 63-year-old actor's message provided welcomed perspective to his team, which is 11-9 and hosts the Indiana Pacers on Thursday.

"Be good to people. Be thankful for what we have," Walton said, paraphrasing Washington's talk. "Start every day being humble and grateful for the lives we live and use the blessings we have to help other people."

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #20990 on: November 29, 2018, 09:49:01 PM »
LOS ANGELES -- With the Los Angeles Lakers having lost two games in a row -- the latest being a 32-point drubbing by Denver -- they turned to Coach Herman Boone from T.C. Williams High School to give them a pep talk.

Well, the actor who played Boone, the football coach in "Remember the Titans," anyway. Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka regularly invites notable speakers in entertainment and other industries to address the team, and Denzel Washington was the latest guest in its "Genius Series" on Wednesday. His message came at a fortuitous time.

"It's great," Lakers coach Luke Walton said Thursday. "People are frustrated and angry after those types of games, so you bring in someone like Denzel, and he talks about the things he talks about, it does a nice job of lifting spirits."

Walton said the 63-year-old actor's message provided welcomed perspective to his team, which is 11-9 and hosts the Indiana Pacers on Thursday.

"Be good to people. Be thankful for what we have," Walton said, paraphrasing Washington's talk. "Start every day being humble and grateful for the lives we live and use the blessings we have to help other people."

Then he added:

Aww, you motherfuckers. Okay. Alright. I'm putting cases on all you bitches. Huh. You think you can do this shit... Jake. You think you can do this to me? You motherfuckers will be playing basketball in Pelican Bay when I get finished with you. SHU program, nicca. 23 hour lockdown. I'm the man up in this piece. You'll never see the light of... who the fuck do you think you're fucking with? I'm the police, I run shit around here. You just live here. Yeah, that's right, you better walk away. Go on and walk away... 'cause I'm gonna' burn this motherfucker down. King Kong ain't got shit on me. That's right, that's right. Shit, I don't, fuck. I'm winning anyway, I'm winning... I'm winning any motherfucking way. I can't lose. Yeah, you can shoot me, but you can't kill me.
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #20991 on: November 30, 2018, 05:44:27 PM »
Dwight out three months with a "back" problem.

Melo might be unofficially retiring.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20992 on: December 01, 2018, 10:48:02 PM »
Steph was back tonight and that was supposed to fix everything. They still lost to the Pistons.

:jawalrus

You have to take your small petty victories where you can get them before the Warriors roll to another title.

benjipwns

« Reply #20993 on: December 01, 2018, 10:59:16 PM »
Pistons used all their VC to buy a ton of single game boosts for Stanley Johnson to take advantage of no Draymond.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20994 on: December 03, 2018, 11:26:31 AM »
The Chicago Bulls have fired head coach Fred Hoiberg after a 5-19 start to the season.

Associate head coach Jim Boylen has been promoted to head coach.

BisMarckie

« Reply #20995 on: December 03, 2018, 11:33:40 AM »
The Bulls have been a dumpster fire for 7 years now.  In every other franchise, Paxson and Foreman would have been fired years ago.

benjipwns

« Reply #20996 on: December 03, 2018, 10:46:39 PM »
John Paxson said the move is less about the record and more about an "energy and a spirit" that the team is lacking.
"I think as a head coach you have to demand excellence in your players," Bulls president of basketball operations John Paxson said Monday. "They will respond to that."
these fuckers :lol

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20997 on: December 06, 2018, 01:02:21 AM »
Lebron is crushing it in this 4th quarter against the Spurs.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20998 on: December 06, 2018, 01:14:46 AM »
It's so weird the effect Tyson Chandler has on a game. Like when you look at this numbers, they are nothing special. But man the defense is so much better when he is on the floor.

+27 for him tonight.

To be fair lonzo also plays some pretty good defense.

benjipwns

« Reply #20999 on: December 06, 2018, 01:35:57 AM »
Compare him to Javale though:
Chandler: 9 drebs 0 tos 2 fls in 28 min = +27
McGee: 3 drebs 4 tos 4 fls 1 blk in 19 min = -21

McGee is potentially giving up 12 more points on his TOs/Fouls alone than Chandler, he's also not securing the end of as many possessions which is ~4 points.

That's just the box score stats, from experience we already know that Chandler is far less likely to blow schemes ball watching, not communicate with his teammates from behind, suddenly sprint randomly down court, etc. McGee blocks three or four times as many shots but I doubt the players, especially vets, feel as comfortable with him behind them as they do Chandler who erases so many mistakes through experienced D moves.

Speaking of the Bulls above, Robin Lopez is one guy I like watching, other than beating up mascots, who like Chandler will take those one or two subtle steps with his arms out and completely scare away dudes and blow up sets, even goof up screen plays*, all while almost never jumping during the entire game.

*And I don't mean the type of screenplay in the movies. /ClarkKellogComedy